Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: Two cocoons or egg cases. Can anyone I.D.?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Came across both of these today and I'm wondering if anyone knows what creature made them. :)
First one I think may be a polyphemus moth.
It's on a Beautyberry and is about 2" long.
Here's that one.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Here's the other. It's on the underside of an orchid basket. It's about 1.5" long.
Many thanks for taking a look!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Deb...the second picture looks like a praying mantis egg case. See this pic....
http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/showimage/2114/

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sheila: I believe you are absolutely right! I had no idea they looked like that. Thanks! It's kind of ironic, because in summer I usually see my mantis pals on the Beautyberry, which is where the other cocoon thingy is.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2008 7:51 PM

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

The second one is longer than the mantis cases I see. BUT mine are Chinese mantid not Carolina mantis.
It looks to be of the same dried foam structure, light and hard.
I found a new one yesterday after the snow melted off a rose bush.

Wake Forest, NC

It looks like a Carolina Mantis ootheca. I am not sure. It might be Stagmomantis limbata.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Do either of you recognize the first one? It does look like the polyphemus I have seen.

Charleston, SC

The first one looks like Polyphemus to me. I saw fewer this past year around Charleston (adults, larvae, and cocoons) perhaps because of the dry conditions.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it seems that the entire forum has been overtaken by mantis threads all of a sudden and these threads are all from years ago so the original poster may or may not be around to actually respond.

Wake Forest, NC

Oops. Im sorry. I will try to post on only recent threads. Strange that I thought that was a ootheca. It looks like a moth cocoon.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi, all who have responded since I as last here. Thank you so much ~ I have had a busy time and am just getting back to DG again.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Happy, it doesn't hurt to post on older threads, just know that in some cases you may not get a response as some of the posters are no longer on site. There is a lot of good info in older posts as well as in closed posts. Trackin wasn't warning you off, just giving you a heads up.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

what moon said.......:-)

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

GRIN....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.