How would you add more privacy here

Harleysville, PA

We have a lattice 6 foot simi private fence that I would like to add more privacy to if possible. I was looking at flower planters to hang where the lattice is to help cover the openings there but that might look too much. We cut the rose bushes to 4 foot since this photo and just wonder if anyone has any other ideas on how to add more privacy where the lattice is with vines or planter of some kind. any ideas

Thumbnail by jess2132000
Western, PA(Zone 6a)

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Garden+walls&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

Try the library for garden/design books. Many photos are there.

Harleysville, PA

Thanks but not too many with vynal fences on there. Not sure if a arbor or trellis might work but do not want to cover the whole fence with vines..

Thumbnail by jess2132000
springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I am not sure where you are wanting more privacy? At the end where the fence is open? I would cover it with white vinyl lattice if it were me. &/or plant more of whatever that bush is--a row of them.

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Your roses are lovely, but would you rather have taller shrubs to help screen the view from your neighbors? Do you spend enough time there in Winter that you'd like something evergreen?

If you don't go for taller shrubs, clematis would be a nice classic combination rambling through the roses.

Peg

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Ornamental grasses?

Doug

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Climbing roses

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

I think sometimes privacy is more of a mental state than a real one - I think the thing, for me, that makes this feel so exposed to to the view of your neighbours is two things: one is that everything is hugging the fence, and the other is the lack of interest within the garden space. I think I see what is a trampoline on the right - so I am assuming that you want to keep an area for children to play in.

I would make the following suggestions:

would you consider adding a moderate sized tree, maybe an apple tree or cherry. I would site it not at the end of the trellis section, but the fence post before the end, and about 1.5/2 mtrs into the garden. By allowing the fence to continue beyond and behind the tree you create a nice visual effect that keeps you within your garden, by distracting your eye from the houses in the back. It would have great seasonal effect, and they grow into nice shapes. Remember if you only plant one, make sure it is self pollinating. The area beyond the tree can then remain the children's area.

While the tree is taking time to put on some bulk, would it be possible to make the border along the fence a broader, more wavery shaped one that could have a few shrubs more in the garden than against the fence. Perhaps even curving into the garden to include the tree. Again this would bring your eye back into your garden. A varied combination of plantings, with things that blossomed out at different points in the year would also help distract from the background houses. Introducing some tall grasses, as someone mentioned above will give you a pretty instant screen, and they look wonderful and soft with roses.

I think you have a good space with lots of potential. enjoy designing it, and lead the rest of your neighbours into some creative gardening!

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

You may not want to spend this much time on it, but I would bring the garden out into the lawn more, and in a wavy shape, but not so wavy that it's difficult to mow. In fact, if it were me I'd probably bring the bed all the way to the patio, but I'm always on the lookout for more planting space! Then in one of the "waves" that juts out, plant one of the trees that Laurie suggests. I took this picture to get some ideas about what to do about these stupid sweet gum roots, but it shows what I'm talking about with the shape of the bed.

Lynn

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Huntersville, NC

consider planting some of the longer clematis.

Ours, Armadnii - I think is evergreen- supplying lush green leaves all year long and wonderful white flowers when it does bloom.

of course these vines can only climb as tall as the support provided.

Arbor vite tree also supply privacy and one is compact by which
- adding two or three wouldnt take up the entire yard space.

Harleysville, PA

Lynn what are the upright bushes you have along the house?? I like them?

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Nelly R. Stevens holly (I think that's the correct name.) And a large oleander that I'm surprised has survivied, because I thought we were a little too cool for them here. Used to have some 15 footers when we lived in San Antonio.

Averill Park, NY

Hi! Have you looked at Hakuro Nishiki? You can get it either in shrub or tree form and keep it pruned to your desired size. You do have to be careful about planting it near water sources, like septics, if that's a concern. Thinking it would make a lovely privacy fence because it's full without being offensive to neighbors. It's delicate but sturdy, and I think it'd look beautiful with your fence.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/78989/

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm with everyone on the tree, although I'd suggest two or three small ones. The problem is the proximity of the houses, you'd have to pick them very carefully, and your roses sooner or later will probably suffer from them. There are upright trees - the Arborvitae, some of the Aspens, etc. - and you may or may not like them.

People in AZ have oleander shrub hedges that reach 20-35' in height. It would require at least yearly, if not twice yearly, pruning (can be sheared). It would hide your vinyl fence though, they're very dense.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

May I ask why the 6 ft. fence wasn't extended to entire length of your property if you interested in more privacy? Is that a vinyl fence or wooden? Do the neighbors or their kids climb up and look over the fence, or do they look down over your property from an upstairs window? Don't understand why you feel the need for privacy, it seems you already have it with that 6 ft. fence. I must be missing something in your original message. I'd definately continue that fence line to the end of the property with same fence style if it was mine.

Harleysville, PA

This message was edited Jun 17, 2011 8:17 AM

Thumbnail by jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

Well its now been a few years and bushes are growing in. Here is a arbor swing I put there and some new bushes. I did not want to change the fence if I did not have to so now My bushes/roses seem to give more privacy in the back yard now. Just wanted a more secuded feel when sitting in our back yard.

Thumbnail by jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

Here is Carefree Wonder down the fence. I would like to add more height to the left of the arbor as I have virburnium bushes there now. They seem to take forever to grow so not sure that was the best choice for that location. I was thinking arborvities but for some reason not sure I really want that either. My Carefree Wonders are 4 to 5 foot now. They give a nice privacy feel down the back of the yard. Can't see the fence much anyway at this point.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2011 8:25 AM

Thumbnail by jess2132000
Pretoria, South Africa

Wow! I just can't get enough of your lovely swing arbour... It must be wonderful sitting down, relaxing at the end of the day, with the fragrance of all those roses surrounding you.

Harleysville, PA

Thanks I like the swing alot and it give some privacy now. We also have a Susan Magnolia to the right of the arbor swing. Does not seem to have grown much maybe its a smaller tree version. I like it alot though and then the roses go down the fence. I really could not bring the arbor swing out at a angle into the yard as we really do not have that big of a yard and wanted some room for the kids to still hang out and play. I have virburnum bushes along the privacy fence now and they are at 6 foot this year. I like the white flowers they get in the spring and berries in the summer. Also have rose of sharon which will probably be at 6 foot by next year as well. I like alot of interest so I think Im pretty happy with what we have. Im always looking for more ways to add flower beds to the yard though. LOL The roses go to the back arbor I have and our shed. Beyond the arbor at the back yard gate is our veggie garden.

Thumbnail by jess2132000
Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

That is sure pretty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images