Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Starting Foxglove for the First Year Bloom

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 14, Views: 311
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2008
3:45 AM

Post #5934872

There is a new foxglove that is supposed to bloom the first year. This is one of the new plants that I want to introduce into my garden. I'm wondering if foxglove is difficult to start. According to the Burpee website, it is supposed to take 5 months to bloom, so I could start them in January.

The area that I want to put them in is partly sunny, and a new bed that I prepped this fall.

http://www.burpee.com/product/perennial flowers/foxglove/foxglove foxy mixed - 1 pkt. (100 seeds).do
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2008
10:44 AM

Post #5935291

Foxy has been around for a long time. I've never grown them because my yard is very big so I like the ones that get taller(4-5ft.) so you can see them from a disatnce.

...but I do understand they will bloom first year from seed.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5937319

Pen. I have not tried Foxy, but I did start Pam's Choice and Chocolate from seed last spring. They were pretty easy to start and I had more then enough plants to plant out in the early fall. I can't wait for them to bloom.
Tomtom
OSAKA
Japan
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5937697

Hi pennefeather、
I tried them this year expecting their summer flowers.
I sowed them at January 22 under the grow lamps.
The germination started in a week and I thined them out at the end of Feb. The first flower came out on June 14 at the height of 40cm. I didn't have so many flowers as I had anticipated.
I can still see some flowers,though.
Now I realize that in my climate,zone9b, it is better to sow D.foxy
in autumn and flower them in spring.

Tomtom

left:June 14
right:Dec.29

This message was edited Dec 29, 2008 11:52 AM

Thumbnail by Tomtom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2008
3:46 AM

Post #5938245

Those are pretty Tomtom. I am going to start some next month, and see what happens. Do they need to be nicked or soaked or anything fancy?
Tomtom
OSAKA
Japan
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #5938497

>Do they need to be nicked or soaked or anything fancy?

No,you don't have to do anything of that kind. The seeds are so fine that please remember not to sow them too many. As others say , they germinate and grow easily. Take it easy ,will you ?

Tomtom
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2008
11:23 AM

Post #5938813

surface sew,press in lightly. I like to put a thin layer of vermucilite on top of the seed starting mix to sew them on top of so they have something to snuggle down in but still be exposed to light.
Stinny
Far Hills, NJ

December 29, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #5939020

Hi,
Last March I indoor seeded the camelot hybrids from parkseed.com and had great success. (I am a novice seed starter so I was pleased.) These did bloom in Sept. and the colors were beautiful. However, the plants did not reach their full height. The catalog says that they are a perennial. I want to try the digitalis mertonensis, the strawberry foxglove this year. Has anyone started this one from seed?

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #5984452

This year will be my first attempt at seed starting. One of the things that I'll be trying is the white camelot hybrid from parkseed - it caught my attention because they claimed that it will bloom the first year from seed. Stinny, I'm glad to hear that you had success with it. I love foxgloves, but buying them from the nursery adds up. Getting 3 or 5 plants just doesn't make the impact that I'm hoping 75 - 100 will LOL. I realize I'm being too optimistic about how many plants I may actually be able to grow from seed, but I'm excited about giving it a try. Pennefeather, you may want to check parksseed for the camelot hybrids for additional options for first year blooms.

White http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=4051&PrevMainPage=textsearchresults&scChannel=Text Search&SearchText=foxglove&OfferCode=W1H
Pink http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=4050&PrevMainPage=textsearchresults&scChannel=Text Search&SearchText=foxglove&OfferCode=W1H

terri

This message was edited Jan 9, 2009 7:41 AM
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6013795

penne, I bought a packet of those, too. I'll plant the seeds around the first week of February, so maybe by July I'll have foxglove blooms. good luck!
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6014134

I grew 'Pam's Choice' from seed last Feb/march and put them out in april. The plants were nice but did not come close to blooming last year. So I am looking for a show this year. But now I want to try the Camelots this year and see what happens. Good thread!
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6073309

I got my seeds, and I'm finally getting around to sowing them tomorrow. I was checking another website (I can't even remember which one now), but they said that foxglove needs a a cold period before germination. They actually recommended using a coldframe for several weeks. I'm thinking that I could just stick them in the unheated garage - right now the garage is probably in the forties at night (maybe even lower). If I leave them in my planting room (ie: spare bedroom), then it will probably be in the low sixties - would that be cold enough?
wonderearth
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6073480

I think foxglove is one of the easiest seeds to sow and it can take a little abuse even as a very young plant and then still grow well when planted out. I let mine languish in there containers for to long but still got full fledged plants that were very prolific. I loved doing foxglove from seed it gave me a lot of bang for my buck.
Stinny
Far Hills, NJ

February 2, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6080712

Good luck pennefeather. I didn't start my foxglove seeds in a coldframe last year. Just used grow lights and no bottom heat. I am trying the strawbery foxglove now. Thought I'd start earlier to try to have first year flowers. I can't wait for spring. It's been a long cold winter!! Ready to dig in the dirt.
pennefeather
McLean, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6080769

I just realized that I was looking at the directions for cardinal flower not foxglove. I guess that I will need to put this in the garage since it needs to be colder.

I'm starting 3 different floxgloves as soon as I sign off.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America