BULK FOOD STORES ?

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

I have a question .. ^-^

What is your opinion with regards to the difference in price between 'things' .. ie flour, sugar .. baking ingredients etc .. bought at the bulk food stores as opposed to your regular supermarket ?

I am constantly wondering if I am actually 'saving' money by buying in bulk ... or 'no frills' ..

Just wundrin :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think you're saving expenses because you don't make so many trips! Even if it's not price per pound, it's that you've stocked up.

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Well .. Iguess that's one way to look at it .. but I seem to be buzzing into the city almost daily to 'keep up' with sales :-)

I rec'd a breadmaker for Xmas. I went to one of the local bulk food stores to get my first 'supply' .. as I astutely doled out the flours and seeds etc .. I kept wondering if buying these products in a large bag in a super market would be better ?
With regards to 'stocking up' .. well .. I have decided that another set of kitchen cannisters is in my future :-)

~M~

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a breadmaker! Get a recipe you really like down perfectly. Keep ingredients in the fridge or freezer or garage in tupperware, I suppose. (Pondering the mess in my cold garage.) Don't buy a lot until you settle on your favorite recipe, and have fun! Do they have "Better for Bread" flour up there? My daughter turned out to have celiac disease and cannot eat wheat flour or products at all.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/659/
So when she's home, we don't use the breadmaker at all any more. Good luck!!!

Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

We buy in bulk here (SW France) as the price per Kilo difference is HUGE.
Also, distances are great to the shops so we only shop in the local market (walking distance) or at the flour mill - a twenty-minute car ride once every six months.
As it is hot in the summer we store in a specially insulated room we call a Larder. I store in plastic bins. The only flour that doesn't keep long term is the one with wheatgerm in it. Don't know why, but it just grows mould!
I have a breadmaker too - my husband! He's great!! :-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Wheatgerm has more (good) fat in it. I keep flour like that in the fridge.

Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

Thanks Carrielamont, I guessed there was something nice to feed on in it! I shall think about buying the wheatgerm separately because I can do that here, and storing it in the 'fridge. It might work, just mixing with the plain flour when I need it.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Don't know about in your area but in mine yes, I do save money buying my flour, sugar etc in bulk. Some of the paper product or cleaning products I can catch on sale in a regular grocery store and use coupons or BOGOF cheaper but I've yet to find flour or sugar as cheap. I use the Peter Pan brand of flour from Sam's. I was a bit worried at first since it's not what I was use to but so far I've been pleased with the crumb my cakes have had.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images