Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Memories of a Longleaf Pine: Fond Memories...

Communities > Forums > Article: Memories of a Longleaf Pine
bookmark
Forum: Article: Memories of a Longleaf PineReplies: 3, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2008
11:38 AM

Post #5942875

Although not a Cracker, I AM a Florida Native and I cherish my memories of Florida during and just after WWII as I was growing up. We didn't stay in FL after the war, but came every year for family visits... so I was lucky enough to experience it afresh occasionally rather than take it all for granted. The gradual change from the Piney Woods as we went south to the keys with their Tabby houses was amazing.

Thanks for the stroll. I'm so sorry to see it all disappearing.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5943614

I am a native of Southwestern Mississippi, which is the Pine Belt. It also has lots of long leaf pines and they still grow on my farm near Lumberton. We also have the Post Oaks and the sandy soil. I love that country and still return once or twice a year. The hurricanes snap them in half or uproot them, but new ones grow back in short order providing a continuous supply of pines of all ages.
tabby7
Alford, FL

December 30, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #5944053

Delightfully descriptive article. I live in Northwest Florida on a beautiful, spring fed lake, not far from the Chipola River. There are still some places left with the flora and fauna intact in our area. Just returned from the beautiful Econfina River. Nature at her best.
nipasyque
Winston, OR

January 5, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #5969679

Thanks for your article. As a Florida native, my memory of the Florida pines includes the huge wisteria which climbed to the top of the the one in my grandfather's back yard. My fondest memory is when it bloomed in the spring. As a small child, it seemed as if it and the tree were a path to the sky. The only thing better, were the pine trees and oaks interspersed with wonderful citrus trees in bloom. I could stand at the window of my house and soak in the beautiful trees against the blue of the sky, all the while drowning in the fragrance of the orange blossoms. I moved from Florida at the age of 29, and I still long for the feel of that white sand in my shoes.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Memories of a Longleaf Pine Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Longleaf Pines myresortonahill 0 Jan 5, 2009 11:36 AM
Native Floridian Franklyflorida 1 Dec 14, 2009 10:17 AM
Florida's Panhandle tabby7 0 Dec 14, 2009 9:44 PM
Longleaf Pine ladyfoz 0 Jan 20, 2010 9:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America