Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cooking: New Years Day Pork and Sauerkraut

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 12, Views: 170
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2008
2:07 AM

Post #5945799

My mom who was German used to make this in a covered pot on top of the stove. We used to eat the kraut on the 1st of Jan. for prosperity $$. She passed away last year and I never did find out how she made it. All I know is that she combined the pork shoulder? and kraut together and cooked it slowely on top of the stove. Not sure if she put anything else in the pot. Does anyone know how to make this? We always had it with mashed potatos.
dpoitras
Upstate, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2009
6:03 AM

Post #5976186

We make a dish with pork, washed sauer kraut (to remove the brine), cabbage and enough water to cover. Cook slowly on the top of a stove until the pork falls apart, usually takes all day. Don't know how to spell it but what we call it sounds like ka-pu-sta. Hope this helps
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2009
6:26 AM

Post #5976213

what kind of pork do you get? Loin? Shoulder? Bone in or out? Do you cut the cabbage into strips? Would love to know.
dpoitras
Upstate, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #5982707

We get the loin, bone out. We chop up the cabbage.
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #5983393

thanks. I'm going to try that out...
Prickle
Porter, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #5984135

I use country style pork ribs but my mom makes it with pork roast.

I like to season and brown the ribs in butter, then remove and set aside, then brown onions and sauerkraut (drained) until nicely carmelized. Then I put the ribs back in the pot on top of the kraut and slow cook over low flame for 1-2 hours.

We serve with mashed potatoes and lots of butter :)

My mom breaks hers up and mixes the pork and kraut together, I prefer it all separate.
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #5984996

Sounds yummy prickle.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 12, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #5997272

Yes "Kapusta" means cabbage/sauerkraut. Drain you sauerkraut then put in a dutch oven, add sliced onion, 1 bayleaf, pork shoulder, water to cover, and just let it simmer for 2-3 hours until pork is very tender. You can add some pork bones for more flavor. When finished cooking, remove meats, place 2-3 T Olive oil in a pan, add 1 clove of chopped garlic, 2T flour, 1T paprika, add to Kraut making a nice sauce, (you may need to remove some of the liquid before adding flour. Serve with mashed potatos and meat. I make stuffed cabbage rolls this way as well. Very Delic.
smallplot
Tallahassee, FL

February 11, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6124712

Okay, here are some more ideas for sauerkraut with pork. Our family likewise consider it a New Years tradition but also anytime the weather is cold. My father made it with pork spareribs and would always add knockwurst wieners toward the end of cooking. Mashed potatoes and Vienna bread would accompany. Sometimes he would put great northern beans in it, believe it or not. One time at my uncle's camp it was prepared with bear meat and great northern beans and cooked on a pot belly stove.

At some point, Dad started adding brown sugar. This idea reputedly came from an Aunt who my mother thinks was of Italian heritage. Sauerkraut is enjoyed in many European countries and recipes often include several types of meat/sausage, and also various alcoholic beverages may be added. Also raw cabbage and apples can be added. Dumplings can be cooked on top of the sauerkraut. I have made some with dill that I liked very much.

Usually how I make it is to brown country style pork ribs in some oil, after seasoning with pepper, garlic powder, and ground caraway. Put the ribs in the vessel you will be using. Don't rinse the sauerkraut but drain the juice and add it to the pan the meat was browned in, and scrape up the browned bits/fond. Also add some sherry or wine if you like. Now add brown sugar to your taste. My son and I like it with alot of brown sugar which makes it kind of sweet and sour. Cover the meat with the drained sauerkraut, then cover this with the liquid in the pan. Add water to the level of the sauerkraut. and cook on low on top of the stove or in the oven for several hours. You can also make in a crock pot but make sure the meat is pretty much cooked first. I plan to order some juniper berries to add to the recipe but have never used them. Does anyone use juniper berries in their cooking?
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #6125650

Never heard of juniper berries or northern white beans in it but I have heard of apples, beer and brown sugar. I like the idea of apples in it and will try that next time I make it.
rlw
Ringgold, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6170529

Smallpot,

Your recipe sounds wonderful. I make a Hungarian Goulash something like that. I am anxious to try the ribs as tearing apart a Boston Butt is so time consuming. I have never used brown sugar or juniper berries. We have a great source near here for the berries (dried). They smell so good and I have been looking for ways to use them. How much do you suggest using for a pot?

Let me know if you hear of other good uses for the berries.

Thanks,

Rosemary

smallplot
Tallahassee, FL

March 2, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6211972

Rosemary,
I guess you would just use a few at first. In the Penzey's spice catalog they have juniper berries from Albania. It says, "Use to reduce the wild flavor of duck and venison and add tartness to Germanic dishes, such as sauerbraten." I think juniper berries are used to flavor gin, also.
I made sauerkraut a few weeks ago and it was so acid this time that I am thinking next time I will try rinsing it, although I hate to waste all that juice.
Bob
Dianne19464
Pottstown, PA

December 31, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #7413037

My Mom made Pork and Kraut in a pressure cooker, she used spare ribs. They were very good. Then I moved to the PA Dutch area and they use roast for their pork and kraut. I called my Mom, who figured that is one difference between the PA Dutch and Germans (my Mom is 2nd generation German). Both are great! Experment, sometimes I add apples, sometimes I use brown sugar. I have also put a can of beer in the kraut the night before, and then cooked everything in the morning. Low and Slow is the constant. ( Unless you are putting it in a pressure cooker)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America