Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Herbal Remedies for Cold & Flu Symptoms: What's For Dinner?: chicken soup for the soul

Communities > Forums > Article: Herbal Remedies for Cold & Flu Symptoms: What's For Dinner?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Herbal Remedies for Cold & Flu Symptoms: What's For Dinner?Replies: 7, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #5951135

Thanks Bev; for the great article. I knew a lot of the herbal remedies.
Used a few of them too. Just recently DW had a bad cough, we were on vacation and visited an old style Mercantile Store. I spied some Horehound candy and bought it for her. She was amazed at how much it helped to remove the tickle in her throat. I should have bought several packages, as I haven.t found any around in the stores at home.
However, there is a web address on the package.
> http://www.CLAYESCANDY.com<
Of course there is a shipping charge, unless you just happen to live near South Bend Indiana.
Oh well now I need to go through our spices and get rid of the old and replace.
I am also going to print out the article.

A very informative article. Thanks again. R

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #5951150

randbponder, You're very welcome. I have another article in the works on how to make herbal cough candy (hard rock candy) and syrups. Maybe you would be interested in making your own horehound candy for sore throats!

Thanks for reading and commenting,
Bev
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #5951234

I will be looking forward for the article to appear.
We plan to add more herbs to our own garden that will survive our winters.
I try to raise as much of a years supply in the veggie garden as possible.
After all I see no sence in an acre of lawn that has to be mowed, every week. Veggies taste better than grass. LOL
R

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #5951263

randbponder, I agree with you, just wish we had an acre of land, and a little more sunshine. It would be planted from one end to the other with herbs and veggies.

There are native "herbs" (also know as weeds, lol) growing between the blades of grass that you should consider, too! Some have more vitamins, minerals, and medicinal value than the veggies we grow.

Bev
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

January 1, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #5951919

Hee hee. Most of the time a weed is only a weed when it is where you don't want it, or it chokes out the tastie veggies you are trying desperatly to keep weed free.
I have tried some of those mixed in with salads. Some don't match our taste buds. They could however enter into the catagory of an aquired taste.
Even the stinging nettle, aka Smart Weed.
We are truly spoiled. When you concider some starving souls, who would love to have some of the weeds we chop and hoe to get rid of.
Hmmm, maybe an article on edible weeds is to come. LOL
Here is a pile of sweet potato vines and leaves and I think pepper plants that just went into. compost & feed for the goats.. Exelent for adding to a salad.
R

Thumbnail by randbponder
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #5951945

I think darius had an article on edible weeds a little while back. I'll check and see. I worked hard to eradicate an entire patch of "invasive weeds" last spring, only to find out they were a great medicinal herb, lol.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #5952676

I would like to be able to print out this Chicken Soup recipe. While I have cooked chicken soup, in this recipe she used way larger amounts of everything. And the stick-mixer! Wow!
The video moved too fast for anyone to copy it.

Is there a web site for it?

Thanks, Gita

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #5952743

Gitagal, Yes, there's a hyperlink for the Rennard's chicken soup page in the article, or use this one: http://www.unmc.edu/publicaffairs/chickensoup .

There are tabs on the page leading to the Photos, Recipe, Bio, etc. Click on the Recipe tab and you can copy-n-paste, or they have a printable PDF link, too. The video made me hungry for chicken soup, so I made a big batch... not the same way as the Rennard's, but still very good!

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the soup, and stay healthy in the New Year!
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Herbal Remedies for Cold & Flu Symptoms: What's For Dinner? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Bacteria vs. viruses tucsonjill 8 Jan 2, 2009 3:17 AM
Great article roybird 3 Jan 2, 2009 8:20 PM
Great Article+ some added info Prophetic2 1 Jan 5, 2009 5:53 PM
Loved it! pdhickey 1 Jan 6, 2009 1:58 AM
Timely articles teresaramsey 1 Jan 19, 2009 2:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America