Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Decorating Houseplants: Donít limit yourself to holiday displays, decorate your plants every day!: So, I'm not the only one?

Communities > Forums > Article: Decorating Houseplants: Donít limit yourself to holiday displays, decorate your plants every day!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Decorating Houseplants: Donít limit yourself to holiday displays, decorate your plants every day!Replies: 20, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #5951926

Jill:

I see I'm not the only one who puts little birds, pinecones or mini birdhouses in with my plants! It really does add a little bit of cheer for a year round display doesn't it?

Thanks for another great article, I always enjoy reading your articles!

Happy New Year!

Lin

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 1, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #5951970

Great article Jill. I have battery operated strings of white LED lights strung on my Hoyas right now, and I think I may just leave them there after the Christmas season... :)

Joanne
planolinda
Plano, TX

January 1, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #5952031

after christmas sales often have pretty things that, as you said, "don't scream christmas" --
i have tatted ornaments that an aunt made a long time ago--this year i am not packing them away but will put them on my houseplants--thanks for the idea!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 1, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #5952776

Interesting. I have a couple little year-round ornaments hanging from lamps or a curtain rod, but I never thought of hanging things from my indoor plants.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #5953685

Happy New Year!

Thanks for reading & responding... it sounds like we'll all have fun "glamming up" our plants this week!

Lin, I love your birds. :-)
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #5954144

I Love birds ... I collect Birdhouses and have quite a few birdhouses and birds in nests, and nests with eggs sitting around the house, on shelves, on the porch and on the deck. In my family, if you mention you like something, all of a sudden you are collecting! I got three more birdhouses from family and friends this Christmas! Years ago I collected Owls. The first one was a beautiful ceramic owl my youngest sister made for me. I mentioned how much I loved that owl and every time I turned around someone was giving me an owl statuette or coffee mug or something with owls on it! I probably had a couple hundred owl figurines. Most were donated to the hospice thrift shop a few years ago!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #5954209

LOL My DSIL "collects" moose stuff, or at least I give her moose stuff, because of a chance remark she made a few years ago. It's only fair... she decided that I "collect" tea pots! :-)
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 2, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #5954227

Hilarious! My DH collects tiny stuffed rabbits because I have decided he shall...and give him one at any gifting opportunity, much to his dismay. :)
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #5954254

Collections can get out of hand quickly! I have no idea how many birdhouses I now have! Probably too many, LOL. They are hanging all over out on the deck and sitting on shelves on my back porch ... a few in the kitchen. Not to mention the ones actually for the birds to use hanging in trees and on posts out in the yard!

How do you tell folks to STOP adding to the collection?

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #5954682

Well, you can try just telling them outright, although I think my DSIL may have said "enough mooses, please!" a couple of years back... I think I skipped last Christmas, but I made up for it this year with a moose coffee mug, moose travel mug, *and* the essential element for any moose collection... a bobble-head moose!

I do try to give her things I think she'd like whether or not they involved a moose, although I admit I can think of no practical use for the bobble-head figurine. But it made her laugh a lot!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #5954807

Oh how cute! A bobble head moose? Love it! I remember about ten years ago taking a trip to Maine and I was in some little shop where I found a little moose statue ... had to buy it! I could easily see myself becoming moose crazy, LOL. I have no idea what ever happened to that little curio ... good thing or I'd probably have a thousand! It is sooo easy to be overwhelmed with collections! I bought a cream colored pitcher once and then every time I saw another with a different pattern I just had to buy it. Ended up with only 8 or 10 thank goodness!

I've NEVER made New Year's resolutions in my life but this year I've made one that I am going to keep ... DE-CLUTTER!

... oh, at one time I could really see myself collecting teapots and teacups and saucers too, I've seen some with such pretty patterns! There are just so many pretty objects out there that catch my attention! :-)

I have thought about putting a bunch of things on the Swap Forum but I don't need anymore stuff so it's just easier to donate it all to a local thrift store! I just need to make myself NOT find some other cute little thing to bring home, LOL.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #5954841

teacups and saucers are a slippery slope... but I do have a bunch of different sugar and creamer sets. I haul them out whenever I serve coffee to more than just DH & myself! In particular, I'm a sucker for pressed glass... cake plates, too, although I do give those away (under cakes). If you keep your eye out at garage sales, you can find cake plates for under $5, and they make a nice little hostess gift, not to mention they're sturdier than most disposable arrangements would be.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #5954888

I have bought pretty dinner plates at thrift stores in the past, to use when I'm giving cookies as gifts and a couple of years ago I found some pretty smaller cake plates that I used for small home baked breads and goodies as Christmas gifts. I bake for family, friends and neighbors during the holidays and some years I will use pretty baskets, other times I like to use pretty dishes/plates.

I like the looks of the raised cake stands and thought about buying a few to display plants but had to keep myself in check ... I get carried away too easily sometimes!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #5954913

A domed cake stand makes a lovely propagating chamber when it's not full of muffins...

Oh, and I forgot to mention the little stuffed moose wearing a candycane-striped scarf that I tied to the outside of the box holding my SIL's other moose stuff this year! I think I might have to grant her a moose-free Christmas next year. LOL Except that I just picked up a big moose cookie cutter. Hmm, perhaps I can find a recipe for chocolate cut-out cookies... chocolate "moose," anyone?
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #5956339

LOL ... I hear ya. My youngest niece who is almost 22 has always loved anything Pink (a girl after my own heart!) One year for Christmas (when she was @ 18) every single thing I got her was pink! I even found some Christmas wrapping paper that had pink in it. She got the biggest kick out of it. I asked her if she noticed a particular theme and she just said ... duh!

I think Chocolate "moose" cookies would be a great idea. Then you can use the cookie cutter as the package tie!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 2, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #5956609

I think loving pink and/or purple must be almost universal with nieces... at least in our family!

Yes, that was my plan with the cookie cutter. Bwa-ha-haa! :-)
duchessdreams
Reno, NV

January 2, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #5956615

Lol:). My family has created a tea pot collection for me too. They're pretty but seriously what am I going to do with a 6 oz tea pot?

Great artical. I like to put down pretty mulches and little figures in my plants. My pinapple has a sword weilding princess and a griffen standing in the green moss. Very fun, particularly when guests notice it:)
SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #5959098

Critter, a really great article. I enjoyed it very much. I also enjoyed reading the comments on this thread.
plantinlady, don't ask for them to stop gifting the bird houses. Just tell them you need more shelves or hangers for them.
You could Recycle your Christmas tree and hang some on that. Just trim off the green stuff/side branches, add some seed bells and popcorn and cranberry garlands and you'll have a ton of bird visitors. : )
What we do is make a WISH LIST for Christmas and Birthdays and post it on the fridge or tell 'em what we want. Ask for theirs too.
WIB,
Sw
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #5959355

Thanks, SW, I'm glad you had fun with the article and threads. :-)

(WIB!)

:-)
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 5, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #5968233

HOW TO STOP COLLECTING "STUFF"

Use the five year plan. Start in a room. Anything that has not moved for five years makes a final move to the Salvation Army sales store or the landfill whichever makes more sense. I more or less have to practice what I preach. Yard sales help a little but not near enough goes out. What usually happened to me is I started collecting for the yard sales. Mercy

The one way out is to assume you are ordained to collect. If that is a satisfactory excuse get with it and don't do anything until you have to walk sideways to get through your rooms. Maybe when you pass on your kids will burn it house and all.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #5968714

ROFL!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Decorating Houseplants: Donít limit yourself to holiday displays, decorate your plants every day! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice one!! threegardeners 1 Jan 1, 2009 11:59 PM
Hey phicks 1 Jan 1, 2009 11:59 PM
What fun!! Sunflower1888 1 Jan 6, 2009 7:35 PM
Additional Ideas DreamOfSpring 3 Mar 11, 2011 7:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America