Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Herbal Remedies for Cold & Flu Symptoms: What's For Dinner?: Bacteria vs. viruses

Communities > Forums > Article: Herbal Remedies for Cold & Flu Symptoms: What's For Dinner?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Herbal Remedies for Cold & Flu Symptoms: What's For Dinner?Replies: 8, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #5952120

An interesting article, with lots of good information for the upcoming season of germs!

However, I do have one small nit to pick. "Anti-viral" and "anti-bacterial" are very different, and not interchangeable. Something that kills bacteria (small, single-celled organisms) will not disrupt a virus (a tiny particle that lives inside a cell). This is why your doctor shouldn't prescribe antibiotics for every passing cold or flu--they're viral.

However, your basic point is well-taken--the traditional comfort foods and the herbs we grow in our gardens can do great things to help you feel better, and that's always good to know!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #5952314

tucsonjill, You are absolutely right about bacteria and viruses being different types of bugs, and I didn't mean to imply that they were the same. Most of our culinary herbs are strong anti-virals, as well as antibacterial, and some are antimicrobial, and antifungal, too.

I'll look back through the article to see where the information may be too vague.

Thanks so much for your input,
Bev

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #5952456

tucsonjill, I re-read the article and added a little clarity statement. I can see where I may have switched too quickly to an antibacterial emphasis (with the bacterial kill chart) without stressing the difference from anti-virals. I hope I've helped to clear things up a bit.

Thanks again for your helpful comments!
Bev
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 1, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #5952760

Great article Bev. Hopefully it will inspire folks to reach for their kitchen spices when they start feeling out of sorts.

I would like to mention one very powerful antimicrobial & healing spice that many will have in their kitchens - tumeric! Gargling twice a day with 1/4 tsp tumeric & 1/2 tsp sea salt cooked in 1 cup water is very effective in dealing sore throats, especially strep infections. The gargle should be used warm, at ~ body temperature. The hot salt water expands the capillary walls in the throat which facilitates the absorbtion of the tumeric extract, which then circulates to the mucous membranes in the ear, nose and throat area.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #5952832

garden-mermaid, The article could have gone on, and on, but I had to cut it off somewhere, and neglected to mention turmeric. I can't believe I left out such a fascinating and healing cooking herb! Thanks for commenting about it's use for throat ailments (specifically strep). There were also chicken soup recipes that used turmeric!

Thanks again for reading and your input,
Bev
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #5953157

I recently found the following recipe for garlic broth in the New York Times. Garlic broth is also supposed to serve as a healing agent. I haven't tried it yet, but I may be doing so soon. If you hate garlic, maybe you should skip it, but in my family, there is no such thing as enough garlic. See recipe at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/01/health/nutrition/01recipehealth.html?scp=1&sq=Garlic%20broth&st=cse

I have heard about turmeric preventing alzheimer's disease and arthritis and a host of other problems. I have been trying to incorporate more of it into my family's diet ever since.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #5953210

pajaritomt, The garlic broth recipe would work for me, too. I love the stuff! Also onions, the more the better!

I'm trying to add more turmeric to soups, stews and pickles, but forget it when cooking anything else unless it's called out for. It's a wonder herb, and you would think more recipes would incorporate it's use besides curry dishes.

Thanks for reading the article, posting your comments, and the link.
Have a Happy New Year, too.
Bev
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #5953980

Bev, I hope I didn't come across crabby or overly critical--the bacterial/viral thing is a pet peeve of mine. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to amend your article in response to my comment.

Thanks again for a great article, and have a happy and healthy New Year!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #5954783

tusconjill, I didn't take what you said as crabby at all, I appreciated your input! I amended the article a little because I agreed with you!

You have a healthy happy New Year, too!!
Thanks again,
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Herbal Remedies for Cold & Flu Symptoms: What's For Dinner? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
chicken soup for the soul randbponder 7 Jan 1, 2009 8:17 PM
Great article roybird 3 Jan 2, 2009 8:20 PM
Great Article+ some added info Prophetic2 1 Jan 5, 2009 5:53 PM
Loved it! pdhickey 1 Jan 6, 2009 1:58 AM
Timely articles teresaramsey 1 Jan 19, 2009 2:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America