Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Forsythia and False Forsythia: A look at the authentic forsythia and its imitator: winter forcing

Communities > Forums > Article: Forsythia and False Forsythia: A look at the authentic forsythia and its imitator
bookmark
Forum: Article: Forsythia and False Forsythia: A look at the authentic forsythia and its imitatorReplies: 8, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2009
6:07 AM

Post #5955342

Forsythia is my favorite shrub. When you can't take winter for another day, go out and cut some forsythia branches, bring them in and put into a vase of water. In a few days you will be blessed with sunshine in a vase! They are the perfect cure for winter doldrums. Cut a few for a friend and when they are blooming give your friend an armload of sunshine. It never fails to brighten a day!
LLMac
Mountain Grove, MO

January 5, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #5968813

Thanks for the great tip, Kathy! Forsythia was always my grandmother's favorite spring flower (someone in the family accidentally dubbed it "forsoothia" and for some reason the bogus name stuck). She's not able to go out to the back yard and enjoy it any more, but I didn't know I don't have to wait until spring to bring some inside for her. This will help us both more than you can imagine.
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #5969114

May you and your mother enjoy having a little forsythia sunshine during these dead January days. I brought some branches inside this morning. It is a cloudy, yucky day. That was all that I needed to remind me to go out and get some. In a few days they will brighten the living room. When the blooms are done I will go out and get some more.
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6008587

Thank you, Kathy!! My apartment complex has a giant, unruly forsythia and as soon as I read this, I went out and cut some branches. I have beautiful yellow blooms in my apartment today, and we're at -7 degrees.

I'll have my first yard in a few weeks (yay!), and I'm already thinking about where I'll plant the forsythia. It's a requirement now.

Thanks for the tip - and stay warm out there!

kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6008712

You are welcome. I also have a wonderful boquet of bright yellow blossoms in my living room today and it is sub zero outside.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2010
2:50 AM

Post #7562853

Wait, are you saying that if you cut frozen branches off they will come to life indoors?

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 20, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7574209

Great article! Thanks for such valuable information!
Adina
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7664964

pssst...I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I was serious in my last post...ignorant, but serious, LOL.
Adina, thanks for your answer in today's article about waiting til the flowers have dried up. I am so disappointed that one of my forsythias didn't come back this year, so I will try rooting some cuttings later.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 30, 2010
12:53 AM

Post #7666191

I know, Ky! You're welcome.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Forsythia and False Forsythia: A look at the authentic forsythia and its imitator Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Forsythia ZELLA 0 Feb 22, 2010 8:41 PM
Forsythia LakesideGarden 1 Apr 5, 2011 11:12 PM
Forsythia elaine322 4 Apr 2, 2011 5:21 PM
White forsythia ValerieCranmer 0 Mar 21, 2011 5:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America