Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #5956178

Oops, I was typing while you were making a new thread, Dusty! I hope I don't derail everyone...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #5956219

Renee`... take your DD214 and your ID and go see the Qualifications Officer at the VA...I am told the Cincy VA is okay...I have taken patients there several times, for proceedures that Dayton does not do...

Considering you have no job, you will have no problem qualifying for the MEANS test...and yes.. go see the Vet Rep...You may even be hired at the hospital...Unit clerks etc...They don't advertise, so see the Human resources officer...
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #5956228

Great, thanks!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #5956234

Anytime... ^_^

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #5956304

where o where is our cookie ? Dusty what have you done !!! maybe we need to send out a search party for her ?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #5956322

Cookie is probably recovering from all the travel and trips that she has made over the holidays. Or maybe she is just hiding, in order not to have to go on any more trips.

Kimberly, of jeez, you could have been getting care all along. Somebody needs to do some PR on who qualifies, probably plenty of people out there suffering needlessly.

Tackling the paper monster, and writing some complaining letters, to see if we can get some help with a slovenly neighbor to the church who is creating a traffic hazard, by parking junky vehicles on the church property and blocking safe exit to a busy highway. The squeaky wheel you know.

Sue, I do mostly mystery books, however I am currently delving into some weighty book about spirituality. Sure is tough reading.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #5956462

PR? Spend money on letting people know they qualify for benefits?? It seems to me they'd rather fly their jets over college football bowl games...yeah, that sort of tweaks me that we're spending taxpayer dollars for jets at football games and not on vets...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #5956523

Don't get me started on the waste Robi Jo...I am furious right now over it out at the Dayton VA with their Valet parking and Wheelies having to unload in inclement weather at the prime care door because we are not allowed under the front canopy anymore... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #5956784

Hey Bons... Is now the time for the Poppy seeds?? I have quite a bit of them waiting here...
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #5956880

I'm starting Pansy seeds today, and anything else i can think of that will do well in the Spring. I can't stand not having things growing in the house beside philodendron!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #5956887

Dusty, any time between now and March is fine for sowing poppies. I'll probably wait just to make sure they don't run off with heavy rains we may get before now and then (we're up on this hill). I sowed some of the ones from Marcy on top of snow as an experiment. It worked well and I could see where I'd sown them. I was concerned birds would see them too well but they didn't get 'em all if they did see them.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #5956891

Thanks for the reminder Robin! I got pansies and violas I need to start. Yayyyy!!!!...it's time!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #5956913

Thanks Neal...I remember you saying that you had sowed on the snow, but I didn't remember when it was...Maybe I will wait til we get one and then do it since I have time...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #5957157

Actually Dusty, I sowed some this morning. Will also do another sowing later, but just had them laying on the counter, and couldn't resist.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #5957476

What's that Dusty? Patients that travel in your vehicles have to disembark in the pouring rain and snow, while the ones who come in cars don't?? What the...???
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #5957653

Yup.. ya heard me right...People able to walk get the canopy, and my already compromised Wheelie people have to sit on the hoist in the rain until I get it to the ground and haul hinnie to the door with them...They started that Valet garbage on Nov 17th...I am livid!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #5957813

That's terrible! I'd be making a major squeaky wheel about that. Write some letters to the editors at the paper, contact the local news stations. If anyone needs to be sheltered from the elements, it's those who depend on others for their mobility. Sheesh!

Dad's the same, has the tube siphoning out his tummy so everything below it can have some rest and loosen up. He can't stay awake to read or watch TV, so he's pretty much just sleeping. Mom went in at Noon and is leaving in time to get to her friend Clair's before dark, either that or spending the night in the surgery waiting room since there are recliners in there. She'd be sleeping in a recliner at her friend's since the woman's daughter and infant grandbaby are living with her right now.

Dad knows I was there all night, and mom said he understands if I don't come in this evening. He couldn't even stay awake enough to say hello on the phone, so there's no point driving 45 minutes to pop in and watch him sleep.

About the benefits - I've left a message on mom's voicemail asking for the branch of service dad was in, where he served and what he did, and for how long. I've been browsing the Department of Veteran Affairs website to see what all it says. http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/ Dad's always maintained that he is not eligible for full benefits for some reason. He's in no state to talk about it, and mom may not know all the necessary details. I know they've talked to a caseworker (?) with the vet admin, though.

I did see that there are provisions for emergency visits, but it looks like his having Medicare will negate them:
http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/FAQs/ECFAQ.asp
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #5957886

Hey Bons... Cookie actually WAS out traveling...She was in Waynesville having lunch with a friend...She needed to go to Krogers, so I hitched a ride with her and got my groceries and smokes...
The poppies I have are irreplaceable, so I gotta do it right..I have been watching the yard to see where the sun is, and found my spot...
It is 44 here now and supposed to be between 45* and 52* from now and Sunday, so I'm going to get these bulbs in the ground this weekend that I got on sale...and also my 4 roses in the tub on the patio..It's a good start on my red, white and blue, Veterans garden...I need a new Peace rose and a new Veterans rose to replace the ones I left behind in FL...

As soon as I get my car situation taken care of, I am going to get the galvanized pipe and couplers and pulleys and rope, and build my flagpole to go in the center of it...I have the lights to uplight it with at night, and the wire to run out to it...It has to be about 30 feet tall as I have 4 flags that have to be on it...My Army Unit flag from Nam, a navy flag, a POW flag, and my official US Govt issue flag that has been flown over my home base of Ft Campbell, KY at my 101st Airbourne Unit...
GO SCREAMING EAGLES!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #5957923

Kimberley...Jim is not service connected, receives NO VA pension of any kind, nor retirement as he was only in 10 yrs...He has Medicare...He is treated at the VA...I don't know what more I can say...The VA pulls money from Medicare if you have it...You need a copy of his DD214, and if he doesn't have one, it can be ordered...That taken to the Quals officer will get the ball rolling for him...I have fought tooth and nail for Vets on the street for years, and got their Medical care at the very least.. I KNOW what I'm talking about...How old is your Dad???
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #5958046

Dusty, I never said dad hasn't been treated at the VA. Dad does receive treatment from the VA.

That was my point -- He was freaking out about going to anyplace BUT the VA because he is worried sick about going some place his VA benefits won't cover.

And when he called the VA in Dayton yesterday evening asking if he could just come to the ER, the person he spoke to told him he would have to be sent there by his primary VA doc. Dad said there wasn't a way to reach her. The guy at the VA in Dayton made it sound like they wouldn't take him without that doc ordering it. Dad doesn't always understand things right, so it's hard to say whether he just assumed he couldn't reach his VA doc or if he really couldn't.

It's a darned good thing he didn't hold out for mom to drive him to Dayton, because it could have been really bad for him last night. Oh, and he's 61.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2009 6:02 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #5958060

Dusty, my brother was in the 101st in 'Nam... wounded in the field there.

Kimberly, keeping Bob in t's and p's...

Not much going on here. A neighbor took me yesterday to see his cousin who just finished slaughtering several hogs, and I came home with 3 boxes of unskinned pork fat. I cleaned up about half today (lots of waste if you aren't making fried pork skins), and tomorrow will make several pounds of venison sausage. I'm told venison fat is nasty tasting, so I fully trimmed mine before I ground and froze it. Thus it needs added pork fat to be slightly juicy when fried. Deer season ends tomorrow so unless Mike gets another deer, I have all I'll get until next fall.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #5958082

Hey...

I see you are up and flying Kim. That's good.

About VA benefits:

This is what I know for fact because I have used them and still do.

If your Dad is an honorably discharged active duty veteran of any branch of the armed services for over 180 days he is eligible for life time medical benefits for life. He is not eligible for Dental or Vision benefits unless he was refered by a Medical Dr. for such services. If financially feasible to the VA (meaning if the Vet is insured by other means) The VA will charge the veteran's insurance company. If the Vet has no other insurance and cannot financially afford to pay (The Means Test Dusty spoke of) the VA will still treat the Vet and send him a bill for co-pays. I currently pay $6 per prescription and $20 of in office care (Mammograms etc.).

This is what I know to be fact Kim. I have an appointment on the 6th at the ENT clinic at the VA on Wade Park in Cleveland. Since I have been off work for my back, and (yes I get treatment there for that too since my wonderful employer cut off my insurance but that's another story in itself). I have been to the VA for flu shots, eye glasses, pain meds for my back, shingles, mammograms, blood work, smoke cessesion, and now this dang ear infection that won't go away. This is only in the last 4 years and it has cost me maybe $150 total.

Don't listen to the hype Kim. Dusty is right.

Seriously. More Vets should use their benefits cause just like your Dad most people don't know about them.

Love you and keeping you near and dear.

((((((((((((((((Hey Everybody Else, Love you all too)))))))))))))))))

Toni
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #5958098

Ok disregard my soapbox tyrade. In my best Gilda Radner voice...

Never Mind.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 2, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #5958248

LOL (((Dusty & Toni))) Don't put the soapbox too far away. I know you're trying to help! Leave it to the government to make things as complicated and daunting as possible so people won't know what to do! And you can call and talk to a clueless social aid just as easily as you can call and talk to a clueless tech support person at a big company. Some people just don't educate themselves about what their employer offers and share the information with their "customers", whoever they are.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #5958265

Yeah... Me too Toni...She made it sound like he had never been to the VA because he didn't think he was eligible...Ohhh welll...at least we helped Renee` find out she had benefits...

FYI.. In an emergency, you do NOT need a referral or to call.. all you need to do is show up at the ER door...By car, ambulance, whatever...

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #5958299

((((GW)))) I'm just glad he's getting treatment and hopefully will be doing well soon. I know you must be exhausted...hugs to you.

I was playing in Waynesville and having a grand time! We should all meet there sometime, wouldn't that be fun???

Two more days off and then back to work. :O( I kind of like this retired stuff!! ^_^

So are you saying you're sowing those poppies outside now? I have some that I want to sow also and I don't want to miss my window!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #5958309

Hello, I'm right here. I never said he had never been to the VA because he didn't think he was eligible. When I first posted about this, I said this: "He's a veteran and has to go to a veterans hospital to have coverage." When I posted I did not know he had Medicare A & B. You know how you learn stuff as it occurs.

He has received services from VA hospital and clinic for years - that was not the issue. The issue was what would happen since he is not in a VA facility. I just reported what the person at Dayton told him about him coming out there. That much we know was what he was told. Whether it was true or not is irrelevant at this point; he was in terrible pain and afraid and it was a baaad time.

Anyway, this is what my mom found out and relayed to me by phone. He was asleep again so I could not find out more. He served for 2 years, 1966-68. He was an E5, a company clerk, and served at Ft. Benning, Ft. Lewis and Ft. Hood.

I'm in the middle of this and have had enough for the night. I'm out of here.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2009 7:16 PM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #5958398

My Apologies... I will just keep my big mouth shut from now on...
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #5958800

LOL No you won't Dusty and neither will I LOL

((((((((((((Smooches Big Sis)))))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((Smooches Kim and Kims Mom...two strong women)))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((Smooches Joyce))))))))))))))))))) Yeah let's go shopping! I could use some serious retail therapy.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #5958975

Toni and Dusty, as long as this is up for discussion, can you help me out some? DH (age 55) has not used the VA medical benefits. I think the nearest facility is about 100 miles away. Does he need to "pre-register" with the VA in order to be treated for an emergency at a civilian hospital? He's only been to the doctor a couple of times in the eight years we've been together for minor illnesses. Should we be carrying a copy of his DD214? We usually have insurance when he's working, but none when he isn't working.

GW, hang in there! We know this hard on you, too.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #5959077

Sure hope that all the red tape concerning the VA is unraveled and some sense made of it. It is government, and of course one person has one story and another has another. Seems to me to be lack of communication. Every place I worked, there was orientation, and the employees were told what the programs were, the benefits, well versed in the types of questions that people called in for, in fact we had handbooks with the questions people asked, and the CORRECT answers.

Don't get me on a soapbox about the government, just heard on the news that some illegal immigrants are getting public housing while US citizens are out on the street. Am I crazy or is there something wrong with this picture? I say round up all the illegals and ship them back to where ever they came from, and take care of our citizens first. If immigrants want to come to this country, let them do it legally, and LEARN THE LANGUAGE!!

Joyce, don't get too used to this life of leisure, you gotta work girl!! I have never had a job I liked as well as retirement. And get this, they mail me a check every month, just for staying home!! Yes, you can sow poppy seeds outside now till about March. They need cold. You need to sprinkle them on the ground, and if there is no snow cover, just take your hand and press them lightly into the soil, no covering them up. Just good contact with the soil.

Darius, I have heard that venison fat is nasty tasting, so the remedy is to use pork fat to make the sausage? I will have to remember to tell some of DH's nephews about that. We haven't slaughtered a hog for several years, and miss all that fresh meat. We did it all from actually killing it, to rendering the lard. Course lard is not PC now, but nothing better for baking.

Didn't accomplish much today, other than some paper work. We had a very nice visit from some older friends this afternoon, and they invited DH to a wild game dinner that their church puts on every year. The ladies are not invited,so I will be going to her house (she is 86) and taking some food, and we will have our own meal while the guys sample the game. They are having bear, elk, deer, squirrel, rabbit, and other goodies. I told DH that he has to at least taste the bear, and let me know what it tastes like.

Well, need to check out some other threads, and my e-mail. Don't know what tomorrow holds, other than a few errands.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #5959082

MsRob...I really don't know the answer to that. I would however call the Vet Rep at the VA closest to you and ask them.

Good question, I have no clue as I have always lived/worked near a VA Hosp since I got out of the Air Force.

I do know that the VA has shuttle buses for some of the farther Cleveland 'burbs or will reimburse transportation costs but Dusty may be better at answering that or knowing how to sign up.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #5959181

Robin...He must by law, be treated at any civilian hospital for an emergency...that is nationwide...He should however register, aka enroll in the VA program by taking the DD214 and getting the process done... They will issue him a VA ID card...They will ask for copies of any insurance he has...as they will bill them for any treatment he gets at the VA...In the case of those on Medicare as my hubby is, they rob Peter to pay Paul...in a sense...Medicare pays them the 80%, and they absorb the 20%...Both Govt entities...If they are admitted to a civvy hospital, the VA will order them transported asap is safe to do so to the nearest VA facility IF the 2 facilities are notified that they are a VA patient...The VA provides your Primary care Physician...and that Dr should always be notified that you are being admitted for whatever ailment to a Civilian hospital...They will then make the decision and give the order for transport to a VA Hospital or not...They also need to be notified so they can get records of any treatments done so they can update your files...
In Jims case of his sextuple bypass in 2000, the VA paid the entire bill of over $280K for his surgery and 11 days inpatient at a civvy hospital as they deemed it was unsafe to move him to the nearest VA...
Your Hubby can be working in Timbuctu and get a hangnail and go to the nearest VA clinic and get a bandaid...no charge...
NEVER carry the original DD214...Make a copy, but keep the original safe...and once he registers, he will not need it again...

as for you Miz Toni...You want RETAIL, you better get the Hoopdy packed and headed south!!!

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 3, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #5960135

Goodmorning, My Friends! Hope you all have some halfway decent weather up your way, too. We got out for an enjoyable walk around our place yesterday. The temps have been pretty nice for several days, but the wind has been so cold, so I've been staying in.

FYI: walking in crocs on soft ground through the woods is not reccomended. Don't know what happened, but I fell forward in slow motion, stopping a few inches short of having my nose in the dirt. Sure grateful not to have done the damage like Darius did when she took a nose dive! Luckily nothing was hurt except my pride and we had a good laugh over it!

Still waiting on the phone call to let us know where we're headed next. Found out that both of the two jobs we're hoping for, still aren't hiring yet. Maybe in 2 weeks. Can't really get into anything productive around here, because it would require hauling out tools or supplies of some sort. Might go out and throw some seed in the spring vegetable today, to see what happens. I've been filling in the 2009 calender with birthdays and anniverseries, filling in a new address book and downsizing the stuff in my "activity box" suitcase that I take with us when we go on the road. Already have the entire garden and flower beds planned for this summer and my calender of when to start seeds or when to plant in the garden done. Really itching to put the greenhouse and buying a tiller to get started on the new garden!

Toni & Dusty, thanks! Need to get him registered.

Bonnie, DITTO!

GW, hope your Dad is doing better!

Have a great day!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #5960248

Good Morning all... There is an interesting article on the Michigan Gardeners Forum about seeds...Now that it is getting to be time, you might want to check it out...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/938143/
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #5960320

Howie's nephew Tommy is being deployed to Iraq this month. There's a ceremony today at OSU's St. John's Arena today, so we're heading there and then to the hospital to see dad and mom.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #5960334

Dusty, since the poppies can't be replaced, I'd recommend winter sowing some in a container to help ensure you get some going. As long as the seedlings are planted out small- 2 sets of true leaves (I plant out little clumps of seedlings so the roots don't get disturbed), they will transplant fine.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #5960380

Thanks Neal...I am saving some milk jugs just for that, and I also have a tray of little peat pots that never got used last year...I just hope I don't mess it up...LOL

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #5960590

Remember Sunny? She came to the roundup at Jazz's with me. Well, Sunny gave me some fancy poppy seeds - but I know that they are annuals, not perennials. I do not have a way to start them indoors, my house is dark and I have a greenery munching cat. Anyway - do you sow all kinds of poppy seeds outside now?

Also, I use Snapshot on my beds. Last application was late April of 08. Do you think that would affect the seeds? I have one area where I do tomatoes that does not get Snapshot. But, I wanted to turn it back into grass this year, so didn't want to put anything in there. Snapshot is a pre-emergent, like Preen on steroids.

Off to find an unusual light bulb for my refrigerator. Ugh.

Thinking of all of you.

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #5960659

Poppies germinate best for me under cool conditions, and the annual ones I've grown reseed well, so I think you'd be ok to sow some any time between now and March. Don't worry about trying them indoors- winter sowing in jugs is easier and works better if you want to start them in containers.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #5960678

Hey Neal... I had a thought...If you want to start them indoors, and most houses are warm...and they need cold to germinate...what about putting them in the fridge for a couple weeks before sowing them???

This message was edited Jan 3, 2009 11:06 AM
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #5960792

I bet that would work. A gal on the Poppies forum insists they don't need cold to germinate, but I haven't had any luck if I wait till it warms up out. I think it may have something to do with having the constant moisture they need when they're tiny (once they've got several true leaves, they tolerate and even prefer dryer conditions), and the competition from other plants as the growing season progresses. Artificial light kept close to the seedlings would probably be a good idea starting them indoors.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #5961130

Thanks Dusty for all the info on Vet medical benefits! Shortly after Dave was discharged (honorably) in l968, he had a recurrence of a intestinal virus that he had contracted in the Phillipines. He went to the VA hospital in Clarksville Indiana with his DD214 copy and was denied care because they said he had no combat related injuries. We have assumed all these years , that he was not eliglble for medical benefits. The info you gave us here is very good to know. He has coverage now at his work, but with the economy the way it is today, middle management seems like a favorite area for companies to cut costs with "downsizing". Being diabetic, I was more worried about the potential loss of his medical coverage, than I was of the loss of his paycheck. Thanks, Lou
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #5961339

Wow, so even the VA hospitals don't all know about the eligibility? That's unforgiveable.
I am ever so grateful to know that I'm eligible for medical benefits should the need arise. Thanks for the peace of mind, Dusty and Toni, and Kim, especially for the links you provided. I will apply for sure!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #5961489

Things have changed since the 60's... Alot...Drug and alcohol dependence isn't considered combat related, and yet today, I drag them in off the streets and they go into the system and are treated at the domicile...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #5961503

Cookie and I just went up to Habitat restore, and lookie what I got along with a new steel door for the back hall patio...it is 10'x 14'...$5

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #5961511

Here is the new door...Just needs a bath and likely a paint color change...

Also $5

Thumbnail by DustyDS

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #5961546

I have been out this afternoon, getting rid of some more debris from my garden beds. Sowed some more poppy seeds, and then DH and I docked the puppy tails of the 9 wee ones. It needs to be done the first 3-4 days, and so we are leaving mama to help clean them up, and will get some pictures in a day or two.

It has been a great day to work outside, with just a light jacket. I am so ready for spring, but I am restraining myself with things I want to do. I have straightened my garden shed, and have all the pots and trays cleaned and ready to use. So when the temps warm up, I will be ready to go.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 3, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #5961951

I saw 2 sets of French doors to replace the sliders cheap too, but not gonna go there until Summer when it's good an warm out...Cookie was amazed at all the goodies there...Brand new corner bath tubs for $35...and a gorgeous jacuzzi tub with the brass fittings for $120 including the pump...I was sure drooling!!! LOL Lots and lots of beautiful lighting, and more cabinets than I have ever seen there...The place has changed alot since Ric & Robyn first took me there...The guy that used to work there is now the manager and the woman is gone...It is well organized and clean, and you can see everything well...and get to it...no more huge piles of stuff...

I just put a boneless loin in to roast for supper...Baked sweet taters and Beets to go with it...Maybe corn on the cob...We had grilled chicken over spinach salads last night and Jim has a coumadin check on Monday so no more greens for him til then... ;-)

Today has been really beautiful... 42* here now, and still sunny...Cookie and I got some native perennials at Lowes for our shade areas for 40 cents a pack at Lowes this afternoon...Several different ferns, jack in the pulpit etc...I got some Virginia bluebells, mayapple, bloodroot, white trillium, hepatica and dutchmans breeches...I got 2 Royal ferns, and a Christmas fern...They are going in my Secret shade garden between the house and the garage...It says the Hepatica blooms Feb to May, so it better get in the ground tomorrow...LOL...It says they are all packed for Spring of 09...so I guess they are okay...but it also says some may not grow or bloom until their second season...so we shall see...I have a bazillion chopsticks that I will use to mark where I put them so they don't get trampled installing the fountain or the wrought irons...
The Veterans Garden Spring bulbs will go in tomorrow...supposed to be in the 50's and I won't have been out running around most of the day...LOL...That always makes my back ache walking on cement floors...

Well I am off to finish up my laundry, and get a window valance rehung...

Hope everyone has had a wonderful day...
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #5962159

OOOOO Dusty I like that rug! 5 bucks??? I should have come down.

Hey Cookie,. Lou, Renee*******

Just got home from taking a friend out to putz around. She is having such a hard time and bearly gets out as her Mom has gotten really sick with the "sundowning" phase of Alzheimers. I feel real bad for her too. She has 3 brothers and is the only girl in an Italian family so the care of her mother fell on her. The really bad part is her family shuns her because she has a Black boyfriend and even wrote her out of her Mom's will because of it. People can really suck sometimes.

Anyway doing a lot of nothing today. Yeah shame about VA benefits.

Talk to y'all later!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #5962289

Neal i got my curry and a BIG THANK YOU BUDDY wow they smell great !!!!! i can't wait to get it on some chicken . and some rice.
will mail you the $$ monday . and once again BIG THANK YOU BUDDY you made my day. I was sniffing the whole bad right up my nose ! LOL
busy day
got junk with my oldest DD going on again. Sheesh that girl. I have been a nervous eater all day. Just sucked down a chocolate santa "ack"
You all are talking poppies and i was wondering if any of you have tried the Himalyan Poppy i found some on SSE. They look pretty. Thought Geo might like them in his memory garden for Carol since she liked blue. i shall post a link later on them , well i shall do it now LOL whay not eh. :)
here it ishttp://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=1277
ttyl
sue
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #5962404

Sue, stop snorting that stuff--are we gonna have to check you into curry rehab?! ;p
(I'd be right next to you if there's a chocolate rehab)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #5962955

Hey folks, I am snorting too!! Saline, for my sinuses!! Do I have to go into rehab for that also?

DH and I went out to eat at a new resturant tonight, and it was very good. We went sort of early, as he is staying with his DM tonight. Sure hope they have a good night.

Dusty, that rug is very pretty. How big is it? That door is just like one I have that opens to our deck. It has been there 15 years, and I have only painted it once. All of our doors are metal, and you have to know it, because you can't tell it by looking at them.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #5962980

Ky ROFLOLOLOLLLLLL
Toni that sucks. I feel for your friend. T&P to her and he mama. I have dated men of every skin color and religion and i only see people. I have lost what i thought were friends due to it. I didn't care though, they weren't my friends anyhow so i just said " see ya wouldn't want to be you " but when its family then it hurts more. :( give her a hug from me (((()))))
well i not much here, kids are down for bed and i got some time to myself.
Raining here and i wish i went to the grocery cuz i sheeeer don't wanna go tomorrow in freezing rain uhg , duh. "ack" :P i guess we really don't need milk ? LOLLLL
good night to you all
bless you all
hugs
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #5963125

Hey Toni!
Give your friend a big (((HUG))) from us.
That's probably the most dangerous phase to go thru as a care giver.
My Aunt was a wanderer... they had to be super watchful in the afternoons and evening.
One minute she was there the next... poof!
She was put to bed one night and 30 minutes later the police showed up w/ her.
Somehow she got out of a locked room and then out the back door.
She had been walking a very dangerous road...
Wilmington near Social Row... Marcy knows it well and in fact lives on one just like it now...
2 lane country road and cars zip thru at 60+ MPH.
They almost arrested Mark. Luckily he was able to get them to call her doctor.

The shunning sucks!
We have a niece who's basically shunned now.
Well not by her immediate Family but by all the extended family but Robyn, I and our kids.
We have many Life Style shunned Friends too...
Our Friend Robin... not our Robin here...
was literally thrown out clothes on her back 5 minutes after coming out ,
disowned and fired (family business) on the spot.
She never saw her parents alive again and wouldn't have seen them ever but the Funeral Director let her in for private viewings. (He and his partner owned the Parlor...LOL!)
She was banned there too... STUPID people!

Tell her to stop in here ANY time.
She'll get lots of love and support.
We are an equal opportunity Forum!

Dusty GREAT DEALS!
Hey that's our front door! BRING IT BACK!

Bonnie you're OK on the Saline, but I did get hooked on the regular stuff.
Hard to break that habit!

Here's the Moose!

Thumbnail by henryr10

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #5963360

Hey Ric*****Sue***** and Bonnie******

I don't get it Ric. Knuckleheads like Diane's brothers can be so cruel when it is so much easier to be decent. Hell you don't have to be "perfect", most people would be satisfied with "decent". I for the life of me don't understand how who someone else deals with can matter to another person. I really have more to do than worry about that. They all should get themselves some business.

Well Steel Magnolias just came on.

Talk later! Everybody have a good Sunday.

T/O
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
4:28 AM

Post #5963399

Toni, when it comes to people, I don't see color. I like nice, generous, decent people, and it doesn't matter about color, race or religion, or sexual orientation. Matter of fact, I strive in the summer to be as brown as you!!.

I was just thinking the other day about this very thing. DH worked with a guy and for years, since I hadn't met him, assumed he was white. DH just went on and on about what a super person he was. Well, about 3 years ago, he showed up to deer hunt on our property, and wonder of wonders, he was black. Didn't make any difference to me, as I had heard about all the wonderful things he had done for his community, and what a giving person he was. Didn't even dawn on DH to tell me this, no point, he is just a nice guy. He has Thanksgiving with us every year, as he has no family close enough to visit.

If we go through life with blinders on, and only associate with people like us, we miss a lot, IMHO.

There are scum bags of every race, etc, and then there are the very nice people.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #5963408

Thank you alllll.. I am quite pleased with my deals today...Habitat is a wonderful place to shop...I want that $35 corner bathtub so bad I can taste it...and may yet go get it...It is brand new with the labels still stuck inside it...It can go in the barn til I'm ready to install it...;-))

We absolutely had to have a new door, and I got the all glass one to let in more light to the back hallway..It already had holes for curtain rod brackets in it and I have the rods and the sheers to shirr on it that I got for the french doors at the farm house...

That rug is unbelieveable...as I was paying for the door, I asked the guy how much the rug was...He thought I was referring to the big rubber backed mats and I said **noooo...this is an older rug**...I had to take him back to see which one I meant, and when he saw it, he said ** Five bucks???** I said you betcha!!!
I couldn't get it outta there fast enough...ROFLLLLL...It is easily worth about $850 to $1000 for the size of it...
It took Cookie and I both to get it out of the back of the truck...It is really heavy...It comes in from the garage and into the basement tomorrow, along with my other Oriental one...I am going to put my big Navajo rug on the front porch this summer...I got that one at a Thrift store for $10...

Cookie and I walked the gardens here today, and she told me what is still planted here that is dormant now...I picked the perfect place for the Veterans Garden Spring Bulbs...She showed me a Peace rose already there...;-)))
There is not much at all besides some yarrow in the area I want to put the Secret Garden...I am going to be reworking the pond area and have alot of rocks to use behind the garage...and Cookie will be taking some of them to her house for her new pond...plus still some from around my pond that she brought from Maine that haven't been moved over yet... Once she gets hers gone, I will know what I need, and what I have to work with...I want some taller grasses for the backside of the pond area similar to Pampas grass...Looks to be a busy summer playing with the landscaping and keeping the veggie garden weeded and picked...LOL

Tooooni!!! Is da Hoopdy packed yet????? LOL
I agree honey...There are those who need to get a real life and leave the rest alone...Spite within a family is a horrific thing...

Sleep tight yall...I'm off to my bed...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #5963492

Hey everyone! Been busy today...working out our new Rx plan. Went to get my Rx yesterday...and was told now I have to mail order! Went round and round with the pharmacy...then with the company that has the plan...then a bunch more today! Geesh! Seems as the first of the year came in...things changed on Dave's prescript plan from Chrysler. Nice of them to notify us ahead! Anyway...we got it straightened out now. If you are on a maintenance drug such as BP meds...after 3 fills at the pharm...THEN you have to mail order. Weird! Guess it's a cost saver thing. Guess I should just be grateful that we have a prescript plan! And I am!!
Ric...you talking about my 'country' road??????? LOL...yeah..it's like I-75 ...the way they whiz by here! And Wilmington Pike...OMGosh...if she was walking on there...she surely took her life in her hands!
My MIL also took off like that...only she was going to work she said. And she did! Went to the place she had worked...and caused an uproar. The police brought her home...and told us we had better keep her there!!! Easier said than done! That's a nasty disease for sure!
Well...off to bed here. Watched a good movie tonight. I seem to be watching more tv now?? When I can sit still that is...lol!
Nite all!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2009
5:02 AM

Post #5963528

Amen to that Bons!!!!!! One of the other drivers saw me hug old Crotchety Earl and give him a smootch on the cheek one morning when he was still going to dialysis at the VA last winter, and I always tell him I love him...
He didn't say a word, but I saw the look...A few weeks later, he caught me hugging several other of my Brothers, who happen to be slightly tanner than me...Still didn't say anything...One of our drivers, Bill, is a beautiful gentleman of color who he and I bonded instantly when he got back from FL this Spring...We always greet each other with a hug and a kiss, no matter who is around...That driver happened to be there one day, and saw Bill kiss me, and us hug...Still didn't say anything then, but again...I saw **The Look**
About 2 weeks later, I ran across him up in Springfield, and he asked me if my husband was Black...It took me a split second to know where that was coming from...

Toni...help me out here hun...If I cut you and I cut me, are we both pink inside and bleed red???? You betcha!!!!
Like you Bons... I DO NOT see color.. I see Humans!!! Those boys at the VA would have been dead in alot of cases in the 60's in Nam, had I not stepped in to order proper treatment according to wounds instead of skin color...and as you also know, it IS only skin color...the rest of us are exactly the same...The values and morals are TAUGHT...I was raised at the knees of full blood Indians and Black women who thought nothing of wearing out my hide if I misbehaved...We are talking in the 40's and 50's here...where my Mammy had to use an outhouse while I got to use the toilet in the gas station...My Brothers, Carl, Ogie, and Roy had to wait outside the ice cream parlor while I got to go inside and look at all the wonderous things...They got their double dippers same as I did...My Daddy and I saw to it...I get on my knees every night of my life and thank my Daddy for saving my life, giving me to Mammy to raise me up, and teaching me to be a moral, compassionate human being with love in my soul for my fellow humans...

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #5963540

Amen, if more had that attitude, there would be less war in the country, and more compassion. I hurt, the Indian hurts, the black hurt, no different, as far as I can see. I would date DH's friend in an instant, given the circumstances. He is so kind and considerate, and a human. More than I can say about some!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2009
5:19 AM

Post #5963583

LOL...You naughty girl...I would do the same with Bill...in a heartbeat!! He must be a brother to your DH's bud...Same wonderful generous loving kind of man...

This message was edited Jan 4, 2009 12:19 AM
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #5963597

I remember segregation in New Orleans--the signs saying 'colored' and 'white'. Very ugly. My son was tormented by his classmates when we moved to a little hick town near here because he's biracial (his Dad is filipino). There was at least one known Klan member living there. A large factory bought up and tore down some of the houses across the street from them where the residents complained about the dust. I put a bug in their ear about the Klan member's house. It came down. :)
That's the main reason my son stayed in CA after I healed from major surgery--it's a melting pot there, and people are more tolerant. When I was working, I supported the Southern Poverty Law Center: http://www.splcenter.org/
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
5:30 AM

Post #5963601

Stopping in to say Happy Holidays and Happy New Year. Happy Birthday if I've missed any.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
5:35 AM

Post #5963614

Hey, Melissa you have been sorely missed, can you give us an update on things in your life? How is the teaching going? Any signed college scholarships? Inquiring minds, you know!!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
5:56 AM

Post #5963667

If I were to update you on my life it would be time for a new thread. Teaching is fine, I still love my job.

Son hasn't signed anywhere yet, he's got to decide between football and wrestling, and wrestling dependent on how he finishes the season after he heals from a broken hand.

My life is boring Bonnie! there's lots more interesting stuff than me, I assure you.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2009
5:57 AM

Post #5963669

Awwwwww My Missy-lisssa!!! You have been so sorely missed here Honey...So good to see you, and I hope you and all of yours are well and had a good Christmas!!!...Please don't stay away soo long again...

Hugggs

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #5964317

Good morning everyone
Melissa good to hear from you ! miss you bunches
group of bucks just passed by the window / pretty good size ones too. Two 6 pointers and a few 4 and under points. Then some does and a really young one. Neat to see, wish i had a bow !!! . They were close too about 15 ft away. Yeah i know not very sporting when its your backyard but sheesh its the only yard i have LOLLLLL
well i asked my FIL to help me build a chicken coop and well "uhg" he has his own ideas and i have mine . I don't think it will go well. I might just go and buy one to save my sanity and put our wood on free cycle and in Craigs list for sale. Make a few bucks. I just want it out of the way. The rest i think i will burn.
not much else here , raining , misty and foggy so won't be going anywhere yet. Might attempt the store in St . Paris. :) for some grocerys.
ttyl
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #5964370

I had so much to say, but now I can't remember any of it! Good Morning ORVGers!

Melissa...get back here and stay here!! ♥

Dusty has pretty much kept you up to date on my life! Thank you Sis!! :)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #5964741

Melissa, glad you checked in! Still keeping you and the family in my thoughts and prayers.

Dusty, what awesome deals! I want that jacuzzi tub soooo bad!

I actually had a night on the town last night! Can't remember the last time we did that. We met a friend at a Hibachi Grill in Lexington and had a tasty and entertaining meal. I finally tried Sushi, and we had lobster, squid, shrimp, salmon, and steak between us to try from the grill. Then a totally new experience for me, we went to a hookah bar! The tobacco they use is moistened with glycerin and sweetened with honey and flavored in a variety of ways, mostly fruit flavors. We tried the Jasmine, sweet and floral. It's almost more of a culinary experience to me than smoking. We had lattes with our hookah and met up with some more friends there- it was fun to share a new experience together! Then we went to a bar called 'The Dame' where some friends in a band were playing. They're a Talking Heads cover band and they do an incredible job. I can't recall the last time I was out till 2:30 am dancing!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #5964747

Neal that sounds like so much fun ! glad you had a great time.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #5965048

George we have a neighbor that gets Jetted Tubs all the time.
They are yanking them out of 90's constructed houses like water...lol!
He sold a Jacuzzi brand one for a hundred bucks last Fall.
Used 4 times. My Sis and BIL have a huge one they are getting rid of at some point too.
Would you have a way to transport one?

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #5965096

Neal... What a wonderful time!!! Wish I had been there with you!!!

There were TWO Jacuzzi bathtubs...both at $120 each, one was a dark lavender and I think the other was a dark green both granite looking..and 3 brand new corner fitting tubs...one white and 2 almond...I want the smaller white one...I would move the big walk in shower down to the basement bathroom to replace the one that is there...

I have actually got some plants out of tubs and into the ground today...I am amazed at me...LOL...Next project is to dig some trenches and get 137 bulbs planted... LOL

George dear... My Fairy FINALLY has a home!!!! I got my arch moved and embedded, and Jim is going to help me move the wrought iron pieces around to where they will be cemented in come spring...

I just got the call with my runs for tomorrow...Pick up in Springfield at 10 am going to Cincinnati...whooopeee!!

Cookie is on her way over to get me to go get the Wheelie...
so I better get my paws washed...Back inna bit...

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #5965103

Why are they taking them out Ric?? Is there something I need to know why NOT to have one???

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #5965130

I got a jacuzzi tub you can buy cheap . Well not as cheap as the ones stated abouve. If i knew how to take it out i would !! its a PITA. For me. To big, to much water , i have to climb in to clean it , I just might make it a big plant holder. LOL or a duck pond later . :)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #5965235

Dusty, I see a lot of these tubs being removed in remodeling shows on tv, mostly because people don't use them and want a bigger shower, double sink vanity and/or more storage. I'd suggest you give it a lot of thought as to whether (and how often) you will actually take the time to use it. We're going to put one in when we get to the bathroom remodeling at our place. I don't see us using it a lot, but when we do, it will feel sooo good.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #5965238

My folks have a tub with jets - not sure if it's Jaccuzzi brand or not. Mold grows in the jets, and you get blobs of it in your bathwater when you turn them on. They wish they'd never gotten one, as little as they use it for baths. You can run bleach water through them, but you have to waste a tubful of water to clean the jets, ya know? Anyway, they don't use it much. They are on city water and have to keep their expenses down.

Nice rug, Dusty - what a good deal. I wish we had a Habitat store up our way, or an architectural salvage place that didn't charge outrageous prices. We have one place with house stuff, but the guy doesn't put prices on anything and you have to dicker with him and pay too much. It's a pain.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #5965282

Hey gang - lurking as usual :) Dusty, sis has one of those things sunk into her MB floor (the original owners raised the floor in half the bath just to have a sunken jacuzzi) and in the 3+ years she's lived there has NEVER used it - needs far too much water - and she loves baths. She uses the regular bath tub in the basement bathroom for her soaking. This summer they're pulling the thing out (she calls it the Pink Grand Canyon), shoring up the floor underneath, and putting in an old cast iron footed tub that they had sitting out in one of their pastures serving as a feed trough! It only needs to be re-enameled on the inside, and the outside burnished down and painted with Rustoleum, and new feet put on it. She's really looking forward to being able to sink into that thing for a nice long soak.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #5965308

We'd *love* to have a deep old cast iron tub.
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #5965328

I was surprised to see a lot of them at the Architectural Salvage place here, which is where she's going to get the feet for her tub. You may want to check salvage places and see if they've got one at a decent price. Just make sure the drain and faucet holes aren't chipped, nor any other structural damage, and it should be good fore rehabbing. She was quoted less than $200 to have it all fixed up for re-use.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #5965342

We won't be getting one until we are out of debt and ready to redo the bathroom the right way. I'll definitely cruise the salvage places, even farmyards, come time!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #5965395

Hello all!
Well the holidays are officially over! We have been waiting to have a yule/Christmas dinner with friends, but they got sick and we have had to put it off for a few weeks. We had a prime rib feast! So much good stuff and the desert table alone was massive(we really like our sweets) The company was great and a lot of bonding going on. It's been a very weird year friend wise and this was such a nice time to feel some good love and vibes. One of my gifts was a starter kit for scrap booking. I have been working on my great nieces book and this had an album, paper and other little things to high light special events. I may have some question for you scrap Booker's out there(Kimberly and Sue).

This warm weather is getting to me. I have been cleaning the green house out and inventorying my pots, flats, cell packs and soil. My big ole male peacock landed on the door to see what I was doing and broke it off it's hinges and the glass as well. Oh well. I needed a new door anyway. I have my seeds ready for sowing, just have to sit on my hands a little bit longer. I already planted my poppy seeds. I did it on New years eve. I read were a couple did this as a tradition every year and thought I will do it to. I hope everyone has a great Sunday and week!
George
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #5965558

That peacock must be a big guy! You be careful walking barefoot in that area now. We have a few spots I skirt when I don't have shoes on. LOL Don't forget Carolyn in the list of scrapbookers. :)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #5965675

Wellllllll... I hate to say this.. but I would use mine nightly...I had one in CA as well as an outdoor Cal-Spa jacuzzi and the pool...I don't particularly want a jetted tub in this bathroom...but I do want that corner tub for baths...It would fit perfect in the double shower space, and still be able to have a shower in there...My Ultimate goal, and thanks to Freecycle, I may attain it yet, is to have another outdoor Spa tub like Ric & Robyn have...I lived in mine in both CA and FL on a daily/nightly basis...My back is really bad, and clicks when I walk...You can actually hear it...The jets massaging action tends to relax the muscles, and eases the hurts...That is why I soak in a hot bath nightly...something a shower just can't do for me...Our patio is perfect for a spa tub solid cement for a nice level base, and huge enough for that and other furnishings...Gonna happen one of these days... LOL

Thanks for all of the input y'all...good to know all the details...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #5965701

the fog finaly lifted !!! but its cold!!!! it says it 44 but feels like 22 to me brrrr
if i get a jacuzie tub it will be the one that is the shape of a reg tub. Our corner one is the pits. Takes up to much room for our little bath. I knew i shouldve done when i saw it the first time but i thought i would try it and maybe learn to love it. No love yet .! ? LOL
also they are hard to get in and out of , the ones that are in a corner. Well at least ours is. I don't know about other people but it sucks getting in and out of. I have a step stool. and always feel like i m going to slip.
well better get to the grocery
ttyl
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #5965705

Now a hottub, that Howie and I would both use, especially Howie. We've thought about getting one someday like Marcy's since we could take it down during the hottest summer months when we'd likely not use it much. It sure would be nice to have white lights on the gazebo's frame and put a hottub right in the middle.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #5965709

I think you would get alot of use out of yours Dusty. Don't think were trying to talk you out of it :) if you got the room i say go for it !!! I would love an outdoor one. That would be cool wood burning one .

dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 4, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #5965770

Ditto what Sue said - if you use it, get it! Especially if it makes you feel better :)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #5965818

Trust me Kimberley.. you would use it year round... just dial down the temp in the summer...I actually turned the heater off on mine, and would sit in front of the jets until my feet turned into prunes and were painful to walk on... LOL I also put my ankles in front of the jets.. As Cookie can attest to , I nearly fell yesterday coming off the porch...I had surgery on them in 1992, but they are getting ready to do them again...They just let go on me, and down I go like a rock...

62 bulbs in the ground, and 75 more to go...break time is over...LOL

This message was edited Jan 4, 2009 4:02 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #5967220

We use ours a LOT!
Not much during the week in the winter as we don't want to keep it heated 24/7.
But every weekend and all this Holiday we were in it ever night for an hour and a half or so.
Summer is good too... as Dusty said just dial it back or turn off the heater.
But in the winter when the temps are in down in the below freezing range it is magic!
Hot water, Cold Air and you just melt... prune up and the muscles turn to jelly.

Well tomorrow it's back to work.
Gonna be a tough week.
I've worked 4 days in two weeks.
Next Holiday is Good Friday... but my vacation time started again Thursday...

We about finished the East wall today.
All the window seat trim is in, nails set and holes filled.
Just a little work on the trim out to go.
Robyn will start sanding and priming probably Tuesday.
(There's a small nice weather window tomorrow and she wants to get the lights down.)
She got her tile layout done.
So she can start setting tile any time now.

We also got the last of the extension jams done and a bit of the beadboard up on the south wall.
Slowly but surely! LOL!

Thumbnail by henryr10

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #5967328

Just checking in to say
GOod night everyone
:)
blessings
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #5967491

Well, I have looked in a time or two today, but haven't had much to say. Got up with a sinus headache, and have been fighting it all day. I wish this weird weather would either get hot or cold and stay that way, it is killing me.

Ric, you soon will have that project all finished. What's next on your agenda?

All the talk of tubs, hot tubs, jaccuzi's, can't add a thing to the conversation, all we have is a regular bathtub, and there is nothing exciting about it!! Use it to get clean in. Got to tell DH that he has a few gems sitting out by the barn. 2 Iron bath tubs, neither of them claw footed, but pretty exotic looking. He uses them for horse troughs, and for water.

Sue I started a new book last night and it is now history. I don't know what you read, but this is a good read, and I understand that there are several books like a series by this author. Maggie Sefton, Knit one, Kill Two. Very fast good read.

Well, they say there is a change in the weather for this week, lots colder, and a chance of snow. So hope to get out and get my errands done early in the week, and then IF it snows be content to stay at home and clean and do laundry etc.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #5967527

Hey you guys.

Happy Monday!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #5967589

And back at you Toni!! I am retired, so I have no schedule, one of the most liberating things about getting older!!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #5968829

Dusty said "I have actually got some plants out of tubs and into the ground today" - Dusty, I hope you didn't plant those daylilies outside yet... We don't plant them if they were potted until late April or early May...

Dr. office called a while ago. A few days ago, I went for further neck xrays as the ones I did a couple weeks ago showed "something odd." She said it came back with "stable" spondylolisthesis and also that there is a small healed fracture in one of my neck vertibrae (sp??). No treatment other than what we are already doing for the RSD. Said make sure I keep going to the massage therapist. At least an answer to the severely stiff muscles and spasms all these years, plus the terrible headaches. I'm trying to think when or what I would have done to fracture a neck bone. How bizarre! I imagine it happened back when I was 17 and a horse fell on me when we fell down in an old canal bed. Only other times I can think of are when I have been rear-ended in car accidents.

I've never been in a tub with jets, or a hot tub. Closest I have been is my shower massage add-on, and I like it. I bet, as cold as I get, that a hot tub would be wonderful! My deer hunter has one and uses it year round, even when it is really cold outside.

Waiting on the cable repair person. For 3 weeks, it's been ok for the bare bones cable, but all the HD channels, and all the digital channels have been all screwed up. You can't tell what the picture is of. It's just random blocks of colors. They are giving me credit for those days, but I sure would like to be able to record "my shows" like the Dog Whisperer! And, now that I have that small HD tv, I am used to it! Miss seeing programs in HD instead of regular LOLOL.

Well, everyone have a good day!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #5969593

Hot tubs are great for stiff muscles, you'd love it!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #5969815

Afternoon all...Short day today...at least so far...We had alot of cancels..

No Jules...I planted my rosebushes and hens&chicks and heuchera and other plants I had put in tubs that were sitting out under the back patio next to the house...My lilys are safe in their tub...The bulbs are the ones I just got on sale at Kmart last week...

It's cold at 31* but not windy so..I am going to get the mulch down today...It will cover the bare dirt by the porch...that I manage to keep stepping in...I wish I could get the wrought iron pieces cemented in but I think its too cold for that now...I will just have to wait til spring...I want *Instant Gratification* and if I had moved here back in May when Cookie wanted me to, it would all be done...LOL...My own fault for listening to my employer who fabricates...I am still angry with him for that...Oh well, water under the proverbial bridge now...I will just wander around the yard looking at all the dormant things, dead things (hopefully weeds) naked patches, and wait to be surprised come warm weather...I am also going to get my garden seeds bought, and get my flower seeds sorted and ready to plant...I put my poppy seeds in the fridge yesterday, and if it snows as promised for this weekend, out they go...

Anybody know of a good reliable seed company for Okra?? I want the good stuff, not 3-4 pods per plant stuff...I love Chicken w/ wild and white rice soup, and I like okra in it...Sorta like Gumbo...

Off to feed my face and then go do mulch...Laters!!

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #5970081

Dusty I can send you some okra seed (Clemson Spineless) I got plenty.

I have a cleaned out my seed box trade list up if any of you all need anything on it let me know. What I am asking for is not crucial by any means. (Other than the Cleota Yellow tomatoes which I think I am the only person in America to want seeds of and the lady who sells the seed wants 3 bucks for it and 5 dollars shipping. I think she is out of her mind).

Take a look!

This message was edited Jan 5, 2009 3:59 PM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #5970297

The Jetta problem may be solved for us. The transmission still needs to be fixed and we're still getting rid of it in favor of getting the van up to snuff; however, the guy who looked at the Jetta said he's willing to swap us the Jetta in exchange for his labor on looking at it plus he'll fix the van's ball joints. As far as we're concerned, that's a fair trade and we don't have to try and unload a dud car in the middle of winter.

Dad should be able to come home tomorrow. The surgeon said things are moving smoothly through his system now and it could be years before this would be an issue again. It doesn't sound like surgery is necessary. Dad isn't in pain anymore, so it may be the gallstones were an incidental discovery and not one of the causes for his pain. What a relief. :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #5970405

Yay for Bob, Kimberly! That's really good news... and a decent swap on the Jetta, too. (I once swapped a dead car for a vacuum cleaner!)
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #5970499

That's excellent news Kimberly! I'm sure he'll be back to his old self in no time.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #5970675

Great news GW!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #5971175

Good news GW. I think that is a good swap too with the jetta.
Hey all
busy day
joined a gym
grocerys
organizing files
cleaning a house
kids
supper
and i finaly got a call from T. 31 hr flight poor guy :( he is pooped.
Hmmm okra hmmmm i have no idea where one would get okra ? maybe at BakerCreek www.rareseeds.com
they usally have good stuff.
Good news with oldest dd that she is back home with her step mom and dad. not on the streets but its a looong story. Ugh. will tell you all about it tormorrw to tired today. I need a jacuzzi !! soak LOLLL giggle
Bonnie i hope you feel better soon, those sinus headaches can be tough. (((()))) to you .
Ric cute pic of Robin :) working away on the room. Looks great !
Neal tomorrow i am thinking of curry rice MMMM
good night everyone
blessings
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #5971354

Wow...31 hours?! Wow.

Bonnie, have you ever tried nasal irrigation? That can really help with the sinuses. Check out these links:
http://www.sinucleanse.com/ I started out using their neti pot, but ended up just using a turkey baster! LOL You don't have to buy their special stuff, for it's just pickling salt and baking soda mixed in warm water. Their new product looks like it would work a lot better than my turkey baster: http://www.sinucleanse.com/product/squeeze.htm

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #5971636

Kimberly I got a netti pot about 5 weeks ago, and just forgot to use it. After getting back on schedule, I am better. I think the only way I will remember it until I get used to it, is to put it by my toothbrush, and do it at the same time, well not the same time, but after I brush my teeth!! That would be a neat trick to do them both together!! Tell mom and dad, I am so glad that he is better, and I am sure looking forward to being home again soon.

Sue 31 hours is a long time. Where did T go? Maybe I missed it.

Darius, where you been, and what you been up to?

George, I think it was you who posted about smoking something, that I had no idea what it way. If I am the only one here who does not know, dmail me, of if others are as clueless as I am, please explain. Is it legal? hehe, probably is, or you wouldn't have posted it here!!

Dusty, you gave me a heart attack, I though you had put those daylilies out in the cold, and they were gonna be toast. I don't see how you got any planting done, it is pure mud here. Did you give those bulbs little hammers, to help them break through the soil in the spring?

Today, I did nothing but 2 loads of laundry and sit and read. Was a real relaxing day.

Tomorrow the county is taking applications for census takers, and I think I may apply. The pay is $13.50 per hour, and that would by me some more plants in the spring. They say the hours are flexible, so may just check it out. Anybody else thinking about doing it?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #5971658

Bonnie, I'm mostly lurking... although I was away overnight on another trip helping my friends move. We took all the animals and over half the furniture this time in one U-Haul truck, my mini-truck and Sunny's car... their 2 Great Pyrenees's went in my truck in their crates... filled the whole truck bed!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
3:40 AM

Post #5971725

How's your sister doing? And the kid?
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
7:36 AM

Post #5972216

Bonnie! You are going to have the law on me! I was talking about Sharran(Sharon) article about smoking mullein. I had read it helped break up congestion and native Americans used it. She talked about her aunt Bett drying roiled up leaves and smoking them like a cigarette.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 6, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #5972507

Goodmorning, All!

Same old...same old, around here! Starting to go stir crazy. Had a couple of 60* days, but it drizzled, so didn't get outside to do anything productive, followed by colder damp days. Proud of you all that did!

Still no word on a job. The NC job won't be ready for Al till March. The TX job hasn't made a place for Al, yet, There's a possible job in Maryland, that a buddy said he could get Al on, if nothing else comes up that we would rather go to.

We did take some measuements of our mobile home and started working on designing the addition. I drew it out on graph paper and cut out scaled furniture pieces to play with on paper, trying to determine exactly what size room we want to build, where to place windows, doors, etc. Originally started out as a 16' x 16' room and has now grown to 24' x 36'. Sounds huge, but as I sit here looking around the livingroom, I realize it's barely over 4 times the size. It's an open floor plan, including livingroom area with a hideabed, kitchen area with bar, dining table, hot tub and lots of built in of storage.

Sue, glad Tim arrived safely! What kind of work does he do there?

Bonnie, I applied for the census job, too. The gal said 99% of us would get hired, because we were the first round in this county to apply. I was going to take the supervisor's test, too, but it was a month later and 3 days before Christmas and I forgot about it.

Darius, so glad to hear you were able to help Sunny and J. I know they really appreciated it! I am so happy for them, that they found such a wonderful place with plenty of room for Bonnie and Clyde to run.

Ric and Robyn, the addition you two did is beautiful!

Guess that's it for now. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #5972652

Ric, I was just telling Dave about your bro's tub. How huge are we talking here, LOL? We're definitely interested! Its a pretty good sized bathroom we're wanting one for, and we're thinking we'll need to tear out a closet and redesign things a bit anyway.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #5972676

Tim is headed back for china Bonnie. He had 2 lay overs , then hit china . He left here Oh at 3 am on saturday Jan 3 and arrived in china on sunday in the evening i think it was 7 pm. But due to the 12 hr time difference he got jumped ahead by one day. LOL so his sunday was still our saturday night . Make sense ? lol i think i got lost as i typed it LOLLL sounds like a good book you were reading. i like Patricia Cornwell and James Patterson . I am reading the Jenny McCarthy book on autism right now
msrobin T does golf course work. He operates a bulldozer and moves dirt around to make it look pretty before they lay on the sod.
Darius those two dogs in your truck i am sure was a sight to see LOLLLL
I have heard Dr Oz talk about them nasal pots too. He says they work great . T wont go for it, he would rather suffer ? goof head.
well kids ain't going to school pouring down freezing rain, icy roads , they didn't have a delay or closure either ? but our library did and urgent care in urbana did ? everyone else did but Graham ? hmmm what are they thinking ?
so i guess we will make cookies and paint and do playdough .
But of course it stops and i m sure it will heat up to 33 grrrr.
well got to run
bbl
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #5972721

Mornin' Sue. I was half asleep when I read your dmail and your post just reminded me. Off to send ya my addy :-)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #5972748

Hello everybody and Happy New Year! Yeah, I've been missing for about a week. :)

I'm working on another website for my neighbor. I also took the opportunity to redo mine. I've sure learned a lot in the last 2-3 years but I have a long way to go. I'm thinking about taking some classes after the baby arrives. I eventually figure stuff out but it would be nice if it came naturally. LOL

The kids finally went back to school yesterday after having two weeks off. Now maybe we can get the house back together.

We re-qualified for our benefits again so that is okay. Unemployment is due to run out at the end of this month so hopefully we qualify for the extension on that. Hubby is still applying for jobs EVERYWHERE! I added this link to my website and thought I'd share it here. http://www.linkedin.com/in/craigmey Feel free to share it with anyone you know. He applied for another position at the company where he had to go through the 4 interviews only to have them fill the job internally. Grrr. They said then, they are trying to open a position for him but it would not be before January. Almost anything I read is about companies letting people go. Sigh.

Things are good here otherwise. I go to the doctor again on Thursday. I'll be officially 30 weeks/7 months. It's both flying by and dragging on, depends on which aspects I consider. I'm just happy everything is going well.

Well, I thought I'd pop in and say hi. Guess I'll see what trouble I can get into. ;)
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #5972822

Chele, good to hear from ya! Sure hate to hear that about the job. Sounds like you're still staying positive, which is very important in getting through it. '08 was so full of cruddy stuff for so many of us, I'm trying to stay focused on a strikingly contrasting '09! Like your bundle of joy on the way- new life and new beginnings! I've decided no one is allowed to die in this house this year! I just ain't having it, LOL.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #5973090

It is a sad day for me... my long-time beloved DG friend Robert passed away yesterday. Ric and Bonnie know him... Balvenie.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #5973301

So sorry for your loss Darius. Losing friends sometimes is a lot harder than losing family. My condolense to you and his family.

Dusty just wanted to tell you your okra seeds are in the mail and you should get them tomorrow or the next day.

Later...
Toni

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #5973915

Oh i hate snow days!!!!!!! uhg.nothing but ice over here. But it did stop ice raining. LOL the deck looks like its covered in sugar yumm
eating bad cuz i m bored. made cookies with the kids.ate all the dough
Chelle good to hear your staying positive i know that is hard to do. I bet it feels good to have all the girls in school. I know i love it when the two are in shcool.
Darius i m so sorry about your friend. :( T&P and a big (((()))) . He shall be missed.
gonna go look at Chelles link
ttyl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #5973962

Darius, I'm so sorry to hear about Robert! He was so talented!

Sue, not to get anyone overly excited...it's a link to Craig's work profile. I need him to get a job and get out of the house. Not that it hasn't been mighty convenient having him here but I enjoy having an income too. LOL And he's probably really tired of being a chicken farmer!

I submitted my Cosmetology CEU hours and test and paid for that. I still need to renew my license. Then I renewed my website (TG I chose a reasonable host!) and now I'm working on my tax stuff. Somehow all that stuff steals the euphoria of the holidays just passing. Grrr.

I get to look at the bills next and chose which of those to pay...

Craig did apply for a job where his previous boss got a job. Hopefully the will call him for an interview as I know his previous boss will give him a raving review!

Back to shuffling papers and numbers. grumble grumble

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #5973979

I thought it was really neat , gee things have come along with resumes ! i found it interesting. I had no idea how talented he is. He sure know alot of stuff about computers and such. I don't htink i can pronounce only part of that stuff LOLLL
taxes !!! uhg i still am having hives from the thought of last year s tax season .( shuddering curled in fetal postiion,sucking thumb ) lol
bbl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #5974100

It's not his actual resume but more of a networking organization where others can find you. I just wish someone would find him already. hahahaha

I sure wish this was the federal taxes. I just have to do my own for county and state taxes. Hubby does the big one! I'm happy to say, my part is finished!

All in all, not bad for a days work! I changed my web hosting from Windows to Linux though and now my site is missing. Grrr. Seems like they forgot to tell me it would disappear while they switched servers. All I can say is I'm glad it's not serious selling season!

Edited: left my brain out of one sentence. :)

This message was edited Jan 6, 2009 6:36 PM
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #5974158

Bwah! I fixed my own problem. I know Linux is case sensitive so I changed my main file and saved it. Somehow it didn't save it. Did it again and now I'm back. I'm not a nerd. I just play one sometimes. LOL
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #5974313

Darius, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend passing - big hugs, and hope you and his family and other close friends are doing as well as possible.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #5974324

LOL CHelle :)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #5974391

If I had a million dollars! This is the closest and largest greenhouse business near us. Drool drool! It's been for sale for probably six months and this is the first time I found it online. LOL http://www.wilson-realtors.net/content/listdetail.html/74831809?proppos=3&prop_flag=&propid=&street=&city=hillsboro&state=OH&zipcode=&proptype=*&bed=&full=&minprice=0&maxprice=&go=go&search_by=citystate&formname=citystate&startpos=1&endpos=10&ids=75556635,76998127,74831809,68690653,65850822,73737462,75106769,78138761,73358116,80559611&propertyCount=375
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #5974721

Badseed...that makes me dream!! :)
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #5974726

Maybe we can all go in and buy it Chele. I got my $5.00.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #5974851

LOL Toni! At $5 a pop, it'll take a long time to raise funds. LOL

Isn't it cool Henygirl? It's about the only place to find unusual plants around here. There is one other small nursery (besides me) that sells veggies, bedding plants and hanging baskets and other than that, there is Walmart and Lowe's.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #5974994

it is a nice set up Chelle
hey i will just write a check ! think they'll take it ? ROFLLLLL
not much here
man i hope there is school tomorrow, ! but i m sure the ice is here to stay so the weather liars say. Uhg someone give me valuim i love my kids but not cooped up all day in a house . Cleaning up playdough ,paint, crayons, cookies, puzzles They do help but sheesh . it makes more mess LOL
so i hope everyone is having a good day
bbl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #5975010

Hey, with 71 acres and 8 greenhouses, it would be one heck of a place to share with a lot of DGers! Think how far a collaborative effort like that would go!

The snow is rolling in next. LOL Will they have school or not?!?! Mine didn't even get a delay today.

Hubby made dinner and it was good! Broiled pork chops, steamed rice and broccoli. He even snagged my lemon basil for the pork. He's such a good wife. ;)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #5975030

What a cool greenhouse, or maybe I should say hot.

Balvenie died? Oh, how sad. :( Yes, he was talented and had good sense.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #5975047

Chelle mine didn't either ? but the library did close , yeah 1 mile down the road it is. Hmmm . Crazy ?
well if we all buy it , people might think we are a cult of weirdo's ROFLLLLL ssshhhhh we all ready are on cyberspace cult LOLLL :P
got to dry savannahs hair
bbl
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #5975061

Poor Sarah puppy took a header down the back steps and hit the gazebo's pillar this morning in her excitement to go out. The steps were covered with ice. I put a sheet over them from then on. She doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects, poor girl.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #5975131

aaahhhh pooor thing .
My dishwasher that i spent alot of money on that is supposed to be whisper quiet ... is not !! its noisy. The one thing i can't stand is listening to a dishwasher. grrrr. i hate it more than anything. why ? i have no idea. So it has a sound but no one believes me and to get a guy out here to listen to it well ... we all now where that is going to end up. Grrr he will stand there for 5 min and say " i don't hear anything " bill me $100 and leave. grrrr happened last time i had a dishwasher. I think its air. T said that is what could be the problem cuz it only does it on the last cycle and it sounds like its struggling ? oh well. things can be worse i guess.
ok waitning for T to call me on skype
anyone do skype ? very cool , save alot of money for long distance to china also . Kids can see him too and talk to him on the comp. That is good :)
kids are watching WallE love that movie giggle
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #5975148

Evenin all...

There is a coating of ice on my steps and covering the big limbs on the Mimosa tree..Supposed to snow later, into tomorrow night...Whoopee
It was absolutely awful out there about 6 to 6:30 this morning...I sat at a light and watched a 3 car pileup on Dryden road like watching a movie...
The 3rd car went so far under the second car that it was standing nearly vertical on the hood...The lady inside got whacked hard with the airbag, and it knocked the wind out of her, but lordy have Mercy when she got it back she was screaming at the top of her lungs...and she was not otherwise injured...Just scared to death...I did my Nursie thang and checked her out before the paramedics got there... the other 2 cars drivers were just fine...It was pure black ice, and I was skiing for sure...
I had the same lady today I had 2 Tuesdays ago when It broke out while she was in her Dr appt...She saw me get out of the van and smiled, and said **I just called and told Sheila I wouldn't ride with nobody but you cause you KNOW how to drive in this S&%# *** I just cracked up...

I got home at 4:00 and I have 2 nice Marthas Vineyard salads made, (thank you Arbys) and I started a pot of Chicken with Wild and Jasmine rice soup...Smells Deeevine and the rice Just got put in there...LOL
Gonna be a hot soup and salad night here...I didn't get too wet today, but I feel chilled to the bone...I have my radiant heater going behind me to warm my back...Maybe the soup will warm my insides...I have my Germantown guy for 6:15 tomorrow to the VA...I just hope they have his hill salted before I try it...I guess I will find out when I get there...

Michele that place is beautiful...It would be perfect for you all...That's a nice chunk of acreage too, but I'd be willing to bet about 600K of that is for the **Business** itself, which means the Goodwill and hope people will continue to come...The Farm in Urbana is back up for sale with 100 acres of land and more and bigger buildings than that and the price tag is $250K but no greenhouses, and obviously no business, and I will vouch for needed repairs...Probably 50k work... so I guess that place is sorta in the ballpark..

Off to serve up the vittles... back later...

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #5975166

Hey Dusty!

I'm betting the land alone could fetch a fair price. It's on 73 in Hillsboro and in a prime location. The "big city" is just around the corner, with Lowe's, Walmart, Kmart, CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid, the closest thing to real clothing stores we have, fast food, real restaurants, etc.

It's way out of my budget but it still makes me drool. Heck, my own little run down property is out of my budget these days. LOL
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #5975234

Okay we could split it eight ways and each 'own' a greenhouse. Redo the house and have it as a bed and breakfast...teach gardening classes. That would be the draw of the Bed and Breakfast...spend a weekend and learn the basics. Couse someone would have to teach me so I could teach.

Each owning a greenhouse we could feature whatever our favorites are...so each would be unique.

So now all we need is a RICH partner!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #5975268

Darn it! You really had me until you got to the last sentence. LOL
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #5975316

Probably someone who doesnt spend all their extra cash on plants, seeds and stuff to go with it. :)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #5975555

AWWWWWWWW Toooni Sis!!!! Tenk kew berry mush...Those will be wonderous!! I BOUGHT a small bag of frozen okra tonight to put in my soup...I coulda had 50 plants full for what I paid for that bag, but I was not about to be denied my okra tonight...LOL... I been sneakin back out to the kichen and siphoning it out of the soup pot...LOL I ate 2 BIG mugs full...

Well I hate to leave great company, but I'm off to a scalding shower and my rack...It wasn't a long day today with only 10 hours, but that was 10 hours of skiing and playing dodgem on the side roads with the tailgating, speeding idjits...so I'm gonna read for a few, and crash and burn and get ready for another day of the same...hopefully better and not worse...

No Precip coming down here at the moment, but we all know ORV weather...Sleep Tight!!!
I
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #5975578

We got the ice skating rink up here. They've closed 77 between Cleveland and Akron and 480 almost to Youngstown.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #5975921

well our school has a 2 hr delay. i hope i can get them to school. Savannah was very upset she couldn't go to school. Austin well... LOL what can i say , he is like me
well can't sleep, i would read but i need reading glasses. Went to go buy some at wally . But the dr there said i need perscription reading glasses. uhg. why didn't the other dr tell me that ! grrr
well i will try warm milk and try and hit the hay
good night everyone
be careful out there.
sue
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2009
5:21 AM

Post #5976139

You have a great memory GW! I do love scrapping.

Sorry to hear about your loss Darius, It is one of lifes hardest things to deal with I think.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #5976419

Goodmorning, Dear Friends! Whew! We were below the freeze line yet again. Nothing but drizzling rain and mild temps. Its 34* here now.

Darius, so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #5976592

Sue, how bad are your eyes? Craig finally had to get glasses too. He got bifocals. Now that he has them, he wishes he would have just picked up reading glasses. The bifocals bother him and honestly his prescription is only like -1. He only needs them for reading!

No delays here. No snow. Five kids on the bus and one headed for preschool. Ahhh, two and a half hours of silence. :)
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #5976605

Well, no I have not been asleep. Up all night with a movie and an upset stomach. Will take a nap in a few probably.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #5976663

Toni, i hope you can rest today after an all night battle of yukkies. ((()))
Chelle the bifocals bothered me too when i got them, headaches and dizzyness always having to switch my eyes back and forth all time, i have a lazy eye and a stigmatism. Go figure .HA . So i just got the distance and he told me to get reading glasses. Well so i think he just wanted to get rid of me cuz i caused a fuss on returning the bifocals. poop head dr. So i wait to find another dr .
Kids have a 2 hr dealy and its still an ice rink , i hope the doors to the truck arn't frozen shut uhg i hate that.
drive safe out there everyone
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #5976705

Hope you feel better soon, Toni.

I had a rough night with a monster sinus headache, probably was awake more than I slept. I had some streaming radio playing, so at least I had a call-in show to listen to. I should have gotten up and slept upright in the recliner, but kept hoping I'd get comfortable and stay asleep. Not to be! This morning, I rooted around in our medicine drawer and found two 12-hour Sudafed tablets; they should help me today, and maybe by tomorrow it'll be better on its own.

We have a free trial at emusic.com expiring on Thursday, so I need to pick out 50 music MP3's and one audiobook MP3 to download in time for me to cancel the membership and avoid being charged. They have a lot of indie music and a good collection of really old stuff, back to the early 1900's. It's pretty neat, but not something I'd pay a monthly membership for. I'd rather pay per song, as little as I download new music.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #5976772

I spoke too soon. The snow is here!

I'm sorry to hear some of you girls aren't feeling well. We've been passing around the gunk too-mostly coughs and sinus back up. Now that the kids are back to school, I guess it will get worse. LOL I think the weather fluctuations are the main culprit!

Good news! Craig just set up an interview for next week! YAY! These hiring people are getting quite creative. A few weeks ago, he had to write a big essay. He had to pick a question from a list and answer it with how or what he'd do/did to solve it. He got the interview!
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #5976778

Badseed, yall have six kiddos? We do too. What are the ages? Our are 16, 15, 14 [will be in a few days], 12, 11 and 8 [aka the Dutchess]. Lots of fun all the time at our house with three soon to be four teens. Oldest three are girls then two boys and then baby girl.

I totally enjoy the hour after the bus picks them up. I usually plan stuff and enjoy the quiet before I get started digging out the path of their destruction! :)

Rain here with higher than predicted temps almost 60 degrees. At some point it is supposed to freeze...but havent seen it yet.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #5976783

Great to hear Chele! Sending lots of positive and prosperous vibes!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #5976847

Yeah .I hope it goes well. Sending T&P for him on his interview
still icy cold here LOLLLL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #5976857

Henygirl! You have six kids too? LOL Did we talk about this a few posts ago or is there another new Ohio member with six?? I've either lost my mind or there is a third!

I have six girls. The youngest two are about to have birthdays. That will make their ages 5, 7, 9,11, 13 and 15! I've always joked about God having a sense of humor for giving me six girls. We were finished having kids, settled into our new small farm life and kaboom! God gets us with that sense of humor again. I've always said no kids after 40 or one every other year until my equipment fell out. I got pregnant two weeks after my 40th birthday. This one is a boy, due March 19th.

I still have one at home. She'll be five in April and head to school in the fall. I was almost "free" and now I get to start over. LOL

Thanks a bunch for the vibes Neal! Put them in over drive! I feel selfish and I want them all!! We wouldn't be dumb enough to turn down anything at this point, but it's in N. Ky so if he gets it, he may have to live there or figure out some way to get a second car.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #5976891

Craig has an interview? Oh, how awesome!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #5976923

Yes he does! Wooo hooo! I'm hoping now that January is here, companies are looking over their budgets and plans and things will open up. Time is running out for us. :(

He also has a new "pal" on Linked In. LOL
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #5976924

Chele, someone once told me that if you are having problems finding a job then maybe it's time for you to be your own boss. Most new businesses were steps taken out on faith and it sounds like you and Craig have tons to offer, shoot your daylilies alone could make you a mint with the right marketing. Ask Mr. Burpee :) While you all have the down time see if you could find a life coach / career counselor who has a big yard to fill and do a lil bartering. You may be surprised.

Best of luck to my cyber BIL on the interview!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #5977025

Good Morning... Wet, wet, wet here... and dangerously close to flooding my garden. My creek is already over the banks and within 6-8 inches of my raspberry beds. The overflow from the springhouse normally goes through a 2 foot wide culvert pipe to the creek. Today the water is over the top of the culvert by several feet, flowing over the ground to join the creek. More rain forecast. :(

Chele, crossing my fingers for Craig's interview.

The rest of y'all, please stay dry, warm and safe...

Thumbnail by darius

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #5977512

(((Darius))) I was so sorry to hear of Balvenie's passing.
I know he meant the world to you.
What a craftsman
(In fact I always thought he was an artist)
and I know a dear Friend to many!

Good Luck on the Creek!

Good Luck Craig!

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #5977643

I have been without internet for about a day and a half, and just now catching up on all that I missed.

Chele, sending big t & p's for that interview, if positive thoughts can make it happen, he will get it hands down, with all the support you have here.

When that rich person finds my house, I want a piece of that greenhouse property!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #5977668

Back for a moment... the creek seems to have crested and we've had almost no rain for 3 hours. The water is now about 4 feet from my garden's edge rather than lapping at it... that's horizontal. Vertical, the water is down maybe 2-3 inches. Another inch of rain is in the forecast, then snow overnight. Maybe I'll get lucky and my planted garlic and shallots won't get washed downstream, nor the 3 truckloads of mulch on my raspberry patch.

Whoops, I spoke too soon... the rain is back.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #5977684

Chele, when is his interview?
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #5977831

Oh dear Darius - keeping my fingers crossed that you don't get too much more!
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #5977916

Okay yall got me started talking about my kiddos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeNheather.family/FamilyPictures#5230111791801001954

Hopefully that is a clickable linky to my album.

Darius I will pray you dont get much more...must be all those Southerns who have prayed for rain for the last few years due to the drought...they must not have specified the location.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #5977984

LOL... However, I DO think this area's creeks and rivers feed all the way through the TVA system and then on down to south Georgia!
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #5978012

Yeah, just talked to mom and the Black Warrior River in AL is near flooding...they are preparing to go put some stuff up at the cabin on the river just in case. AND the good news is that Tuscaloosa is no longer in a drought. So good things do come from some of this crazy weather.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #5978079

Wow Henygirl! (Um, did I miss your name??) You have beautiful kids! Your whole family is beautiful. Do they all have the red hair, blue eyes and freckles?

It's hard to get my crew together at the same time. LOL I have this picture from last year, on my DG home page. http://davesgarden.com/photo.php?member=Badseed

Darius, that water looks high! I hope it doesn't wipe out any of your gardens.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #5978175

Beautiful families!!
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #5978320

Gosh Badseed, yall are all gorgeous blonds...except your hubby!

Wow six girls makes me scared!! :)

Thanks joycet.

Btw I am Heather

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #5978636

hey all
Heny i love them red heads!!!!! georgous !!!
snow here all day, drove in it all day too. LOL
roasting vegs right now. beets,onion, garlic, and carrots. should be good with some rice.
darius wow that is more like a river than a creek. Yikes. Hope your garden is safe and the rain will have mercy on you.
Hmmm you all got me thinking of garlic. I got some at the grocery and its all yukky and made me mad . Hmmm got to plant my own this upcoming fall . well got to feed the kids
ttyl
sue
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009

Post #5978735

Hmmm, that link to your pics only works with Internet Explorer, for me, Henygirl--couldn't access it with Firefox. Beautiful family!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #5978913

Works in Firefox for me... Love the redheads! (But I'm prejudiced as I had red hair before I attained the age where it turned blonde/white...
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #5978928

Oh, I figured it out--script restrictions I had to remove on Firefox.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #5979062

Thanks, imagine a houseful of redhead ATTITUDE!! :)

They are good kids but then we believe in discipline so that helps them behave! ;)

Thanks yall...some days I want to give a few away!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #5979417

I have my hands full with two ? i can't imagine 6 . You are superwoman. :)
not much here
cold and icy
trying not to eat cookies. not an easy.
kids are in bed yeah!!
ttyl
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #5979534

Heny, your family's great looking. I love that B&W of your daughter, where she has the curly eye makeup!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #5979649

Sanding is done and Robyn's deep into the painting...

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #5979690

Heather that's a lovely Family!

I've seen Darius as a red head... thought I'd forgotten those Coffee shots eh! ;-)
I made a donation to Noah's Ark in Robert's name this evening.
I think he would approve.

We had a bit of Rain/Snow/Rain/Snow all day.
The snow won!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #5979693

Well I'm home...from my day long skiing trip...Whatta day...Got the Wheelie to the top of my driveway tonight, and he started to slide, but I steered out of it, and made it to the garage...I would have not made it in a car without an issue...That heavy booger and I are buds and we know each other very personally...I can literally *Feel* loss of traction under my hinnie in that seat...and instantly react with either steering or fuel or brake...You feel ice, you better forget you have a brake pedal...My motto is, *You brake it, you break it** and that ain't no joke...

Temp is down to 28* with a wind chill of 16* now, but the bridges and ramps were freezing at 4pm before it dropped below 32*...There was a slide off with 2 cars in the left lane at 725 northbound on I-75, as I was coming home at 6pm...the exit to 675 was at a dead stop...the ramp was solid ice with idjits trying to get on it instead of using the surface streets...
Old 35 east out by Jamestown was not even salted and was slicker than greased owl snot at 5pm...It was almost worse today than the ice dealie yesterday morning...At least the black wet looking yesterday we KNEW was Ice...Today it was hit or miss...May be wet, may be slickie-slickie...
2 of our drivers found out the hard way...Fortunately in the rental cars, and both were the younger ones...I told Dispatch, I need to take them out in the empty GM parking lot and teach them ice and snow driving but my luck they would hit a light pole and kill me... :-((

Darius, you be mighty careful if you have to go out if it snows...That water looks mighty unfriendly to me...Looks like you may have to build a dike if thats the norm around there...Is there a Thread about Sunnys move I missed somewhere?

Y'all have a good night...I'm off to the shower and the rack..my headache finally went away, and it's time for me to do the same...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #5979721

Looks Great Bro !! Tell Robyn I said so!! Maybe SOMEDAY you will let her come talk to us!!! LOL ;-P

Michelle, I forgot to add my prayers for Craigs interview too...just too tired tonight to remember everything I wanted/needed to, and the headache didn't help...Creator knows you all need this, and I believe it will happen...Did you say it was in KY??
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #5979797

Well, I finally get to go back to work! I have to be there at 9am to get with my boss so she can get me back in the system. Evidently I have to apply online *again*, but someone at corporate is going to manually approve the app. There are just too many stinkin' computers at companies!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #5980112

Well, by dark-thirty the creek was down enough not to worry too much overnight, unless I hear heavy rains. The 10:00 news said we are now in a winter storm warning and could get several inches of snow by noon tomorrow. Somehow I doubt it, but you never know...

Dusty, I DID have to go out this afternoon, down to the state line to the Social Security Office for a FUBAR in my check. Had a few minutes of very heavy rain, snow and sleet all at the same time, accompanied by 40+ MPH gusty cross winds on the interstate. I swear if I can ever buy another truck, it will weigh more than this one, which feels like only 400 pounds in the wind. I drove home on the back roads! (Even at that, my roads were better than the description of yours.)

Thanks to Robin's post (and someone else's but I forget who) I had called the Census folks earlier. Now I have an appt. next Tuesday to take their test and interview... he said to expect to be there 2 hours or so. Since it's part-time, and just for a few weeks, I'm interested. Besides, I have read too many census lists while doing my genealogy to not appreciate the effort and information in them.

Ric, looks good!

Everyone take care,
hasta maņana...

edited to add: Dusty, Sunny has not started a new thread on her move yet. Still moving stuff... and then there's unpacking and organizing to do around her work schedule.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 11:41 PM
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2009
4:55 AM

Post #5980144

I would apply to do the census, but I did it in Hawaii, and someone tried to sic his doberman on me. I don't fear dogs, but I fear guns, and out here, people have guns!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #5980677

Goodmorning, Folks!

For anyone interested in applying for a census taking position, there is a sample test on line. It was nice to see before hand what kind of questions were on the test. The job is part-time, with some evenings and weekends, for just a few months. The schedule works well with the gardening season. LOL!

Chele, T & P are with you and DH for a successful interview. This being without a job is tough on us, can't imagine it with a bunch of kids to worry about, too.

Kicking myself now, for not spending the little bit of money to get the kerosene heater fixed, so we could have been working on something out in the shed since it turned cold. Didn't have the shed last winter, so didn't feel so bad staying holed up in the house for 3 months. But this last 3 1/2 months has been a major waste of our time. Didn't plan on us still being home either.

Regarding our job situation...NC isn't available till March (can't hold out that long) and TX would be nights (WE wouldn't survive another night shift job). Maryland has now become an option. He could probably go back to the one north of Louisville, but it's night shift, too. We're not that desperate, yet.

I talked to Sunny for a few minutes yesterday. As much as she loved moving to the farm in VA, she loves the TN farm so much more! Bigger house, lots of wide open space for the dogs and she justs sounds so much happier!

Everyone be careful on the roads! Later...

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #5980880

Hey Renee...Dusty just called me and said to tell you to call HR for the Dayton VA center. They have a job posting for a 40 hr. 8-4:30 M-F position. She said to tell them you're looking for a clerking job. One is called an IT specialist, and the other one is a clerk. She said to do it right away cause one of them expires today.

Hello everyone...gotta run!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #5980891

sunny moved again ? !! wow where have i been. I was wondering what you were talking about. I thought maybe she still had stuff to move to the VA home. huh boy i catch on sloooow don't I ? lollll
not much going on here.
snow and cold.
2hr delay for the schools uhg.
msrobin that is a tough one, night shifts are hard core , i used to do that and it killed me . I hope Maryland goes well for a choice. Nice place to live . Critterologist lives there i belive. We stayed in Delaware right next to Maryland they might as well merge the two states due to the fact you never know which one your in ? !!! when you drive sheesh.
ttyl
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #5980997

Sunny found a farm much closer to Atlanta for DH's work, more room and more suited for their needs.

I guess Maryland isn't too bad and if it comes thru, it's at least a job and we have friends on that job already. It's 10 hours from home, a little farther than we'd like to be. Although it's better than 20 hour trips. Can't wait till DH can retire! I am grateful that he has managed to keep me home for a little more than a year this time.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #5981036

Good Morning!

Snow did develope overnight, 1-3" projected for today. Coming down nice and slow, sure is pretty! I accidentally left my big umbrella at Sunny's... (Robin, you will LOVE their new place!). It looks like my umbrella would come in handy again this weekend... more rain in the forecast. Good News is that the creek is down!

BBL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #5983276

where is everyone !!! ?
heeelllloooooo
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #5983363

Dying after 4 straight days of work!
Oh the humanity... lol!

You all have got to see this.
My friend Jackie in Alaska posted these frozen bubbles...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5981327

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5981328

How cool is that!

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #5983374

Hiya Kiddo...How was your day??

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #5983397

Those frozen bubbles are just...Wrong. They're also really neat.

It was *wonderful* being back at work today. I really do love that job. I'm working 10-3 tomorrow and Saturday. I don't know what I'll do with a paycheck. LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #5983412

that is cool !!!!
I did 3 miles on the elliptical machine and ate only one cookie. :)
just talked to T and he brought over some Camel cigs for his friend in china 2 cartons and he ( the friend )gave a few to some of his chinese buddies and they are in hog heaven !!!!! T has new best freinds LOLLLL
Glad to see you made it home safe Dusty :) im sure driving was the pits today for you ?
well off to get kids to bed
yeah me time at last. lol
but i had that most of the day today and actually with out my reading glasses i am pretty bored.
I did watch pbs Great Performances with Cerino De Bergerack ? ok spelling ? you know the long nose guy ? well Kevin Klein was him , very good play. Very funny too. I had never seen the whole show . Sad ending .
Well off to get kids to bed oh i said that already didnt I ? lol
tyl
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #5983432

Gw Jungle Jims would be a good start LOLLLL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #5983436

That is just toooo kewel Bro!! What a shot...

Toooooooniiiii...I have seeds !!! They came today...Thank you my dear Sister!! I appreciate them muchly...You have theeee most beautiful handwriting!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #5983477

OOh, from what I hear, I think I need to stay away from Jungle Jim's!

By the way, mechanic guy said the van's whole rear end (ring and pinion?) needs to be replaced. He was only going to give us $400 trade on the Jetta so we've decided not to go that route. He was bad about returning calls and letting us know what was going on, so we're not having to have him do the van, either. Our friend Steve has a doohicky (like that?) which will reset the computer in a car when it throws a code. Our plan is to just drive the Jetta and reset the computer when it does its thing again. Hopefully we can get another year out of it before the transmission really is defunct.

Question for you medically minded folks...What muscle(s) and/or tendon(s) would make my leg hurt all the way from the calf up to my glutteous-very-maximus? My leg is aching tonight and has occasional shooting pains that are something else. It's not my normal soreness from standing, so I'm not sure what to ice and/or heat. Ideas? I've got two more days of this in a row and need to be proactive.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #5983513

Quads or Hamstring... Kimberley...
you might have a slight tear or scar tissue pulling from a former one.
Try a little stretching... and it would be heat not ice... ice only at the first.
You want the muscle or tendons to loosen up not contract.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #5983565

Thanks, Bro. A heating pad it is, then!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #5983717

Egads, I have been gone all day, and you all just chatted away without me. I had a periodontist appointment in Louisville this morning, and it was sort of tricky when I left home. We had about 2 inches of snow, and there was ice on the roads, I guess from the freezing and thawing, and freezing again. The salt trucks had been out and done their job, but didn't feel really comfortable until I got on the Interstate, which is about 15 miles from home. Anyway, got a good report, teeth cleaned and checked, and then had a bit of lunch. Went to Gardenridge, and they had scads of Christmas stuff on sale, at 75% off. Ric you would have been in heaven, as they had tables of the LED lights. I did look at the Christmas trees, but I walked out EMPTY HANDED!! Ain't you all proud of me?

If anybody has a Gardenridge near them, and needs Christmas stuff, head on over there, the sales are great.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #5983764

Empty handed! Wow! You go, girl!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #5983872

At least, I kept what little money I had, and didn't use any plastic. I am trying to convince myself that if I bring in one new item, I have to get rid of a similar item. This house is buldging.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #5983905

The bubble pictures are really neat.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #5985889

Hidy Ho...How is everyone? Just dropping in out of the loft to see what you all are up to.
Cleveland is still here. We're expecting a big storm for the weekend though and I just got back from the store doing a little stocking up. Not much to report. I'm still cold and now cold and broke LOL

Dusty got the seed...good. No problem Sis.
Kim is back at work...Yay!!!
Pleased to meet you Heny ((((Welcome))))) you couldn't find a better group.
Bonnie congrats on the retail escape. You did good.
(((((Ric))))) Hey you! You are so dang handy. Looks good!
((((((Sue))))))) You are gonna be a "Brick House" soon soul sistah!

(((((((Hugs to everybody here)))))))

Talk later

Toni

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #5986083

Have done laundry today, and paid some bills and balanced some check books, worked on giving statements for members of our church. did some 1099's for some employees there, so it has been a real mix of jobs.

DGD is coming this afternoon, DH just left to go get her, I have her favorite meal cooked, meat loaf, green beans, mac and cheese, deviled eggs,and mashed potatoes, with tomato gravy. Yum, I am hungry too.

Will check in later, when the kitchen is all cleaned, and before I sit to read awhile.

DH has had the last 2 nights off from staying with his DM, but he is going again tonight. The whole family is getting worn out, and they are at their wit's end about what needs to be done. You all keep DH and his sister's in your t & p's.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #5986230

Bonnie, keeping y'all in my thoughts and prayers. I know how tough it is dealing with aged parents. A friend on the Cottage gardening forum just had to put her dad in a nursing home; its so sad when he asks her to take him home. Mom does the same thing, only she IS home, but still heartbreaking to see she doesn't recognize it and has anxiety over it (and often thinks she's being held there against her will).

How do you make tomato gravy? Sounds good!

Ric, those bubble pics are soooo cool! I'm going to have to try that now!

Toni, LOL on the 'Brick House' comment! Keeps going through my mind now, only its "Sue's mighty mighty, let'n it all hang out!"

Been baking cakes today. We're going to a friend's house for a party tomorrow night and there are several with birthdays close, so I'm making a triple chocolate mondo Capricorn cake. A bunch will be in from out of state I haven't seen for a long time, looking forward to seeing them!

Wishing everyone a great weekend!
Neal
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #5986324

Neal, when I cook a meatloaf, I use tomato juice to cook it in, put ketsup on top. When it is done, I pour off all the drippings and put it in the fridge so that I can skim off the grease. Then I add salt, pepper, a little sugar, and more tomato juice if needed, and thicken it with corn starch. We put this over the meat loaf, and the mashed potatoes, it is really good. My DM used to do that all the time, and the first time I made it, DGD just went wild over it. So now, whenever we have meatloaf, it is a MUST HAVE dish!!

Your cake sounds good, but I am backing away slowly, no sharp instruments in my hands or anything!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #5986374

Ooohh, that sounds really good! Definitely gonna try that. Thanks, Bonnie :-)

Have any of you grown Lupines in the ORV area? I so want to see these beauties in front of my eyes instead of pictures for once! I've wanted to grow them since I was a kid, but have always read they don't like hot, humid summers. I've got a bunch of seed a member in NY sent me from her garden, so I'm going to try some in different spots. Maybe some afternoon shade would benefit them. I've never seen any around here, and wondering if anyone close has succeeded with them.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009

Post #5986420

Neal, they grow for me... but I give them afternoon shade. Beware... they DON'T like to be moved once established.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #5986432

:::Note to self:::::: Go to Bonnie's house and eat all the meatloaf and get back on 71 before the snow sets in.

Hey... has anyone heard from Chele on the interview?????
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #5986442

::::::Another note to self...Run by Kim's and stick that cake in my purse::::::::
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #5986464

Toni, the cake is at Neal's house!! You are welcome to come finish up the left overs, we may just have to use them for sunday dinner.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #5986522

Hi all!
Been reading all you guys have written...but don't really have anything much to add or say. Same ole thing here. Went to Wally today...got groceries. We were supposed to go to my brother's 50th anniversary party tomorrow ...but the way the weather looks...I am wondering if we will get to go??? I don't do ice. Well guess time will tell!
Neal...I bought 3 lupines two yrs ago at our Lowe's. They all bloomed and were very pretty. Last year...only one came back. I think though, it might have been because of the voles we have here. They are sooooo destructive. They eat the roots of your plants...and then the plant dies. And I know they were in that area, because there were so many holes in there. I too, had mine in afternoon shade. Also...I have always read that lupines are a short lived plant...but they sure are pretty. I had different colored ones. I'll look through my pics and see if I can find a pic of them to show you.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #5986532

Toni to funny LOLL you crack me up. go sistah , go sistah
Well my aunt and uncle are visiting my parents in CA , and my aunt has demensia . She is just not with it my mom tells me. She doesn't know anyone. My uncle is in denial !!! poor thing . My mom said its just heartbreaking to see her like this. THey live in KY. So i can go visit. My FIl bro is also in the hosp he has blood on the brain, he is 86 . It doesn't look good . They did surgery today at 5.
Bonnie sounds like a good meatloaf
GW could it be a back muscle spasm ?
Neal yummo cake ! had some curry chicken tonight yummo
Ric were are you ?
Heny how was your day ?
cold one here , snow and more snow on the horizon.
DD has her first b-day she was invited too and guess what ! the weather might not let me get her there. :( the party starts at 5 pm and its a sleep over ? but she will only stay of few hrs . I have no idea if we are going to make it . The weather might not let us.
It will break her heart ! poor thing.Also is it me ? or is a sleep over for 5 yrs old to young and not to mention , i have never meet them before ? is it me ?
bbl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #5986567

Bonnie, prayers being said for your MIL and family.

I'm running through. Been busy. We've been helping our neighbor with his computers, internet, 2 website and his stove business. LOL

Two of the girls have basketball practice tonight and one has two games tomorrow. I may go missing until tomorrow night or Sunday.

It sounds like the roads may get bad tonight and tomorrow. Everyone take care and keep warm!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #5986587

Sue, I don't think its just you. 5 is young for a sleep over, unless its with family or someone very close. But I'm like you, I'd want to have at least met them a few times.

Darius&Marcy, y'all just made my day! Doing the Lupine dance!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #5986592

Chelle be careful out there tomrrow , bad weather, freezing rain and snow tomorrow. BE CAREFUL !!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #5986598

good to know Neal :) ok so i m not crazy and over protective LOLLL yeah i thought it was kinda odd ? but hey what do i know anymore. :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #5986639

Sue... most areas have an online list of registered sex offenders living nearby. My county has a map showing locations, names, and kind of offenses... anyone who has children should check it out.
Carolyn_Cropper
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #5986832

GW- if a hot soak in the tub or heating pad along with ibuprofen, you may have pinched a nerve in or around your hip/lower back. It is called the sciatic nerve and my mother and I both have problems with it. It flares up for no reason at all and hurts really bad. My hip pops out of joint and my hubby has to pop it back in, but my mom has no idea why hers acts up like it does. If the pain does not go away soon, I would suggest getting it looked at.

Darius- that is great advice to anyone with or without kids. Here in Lewisburg we have around 8 that are on that site. One lives 2 blocks from me and I wont let my kids walk anywhere by themselves! When it comes to kids I think I would rather be safe than sorry.

I'm ready for winter to be over people!! Geez this weather will make anyone with arthritis feel like they have one foot in the grave..lol
I WANT SUNSHINE and greenery all around me!

I hope everyone is keeping warm. Tomorrow is going to be our last day that gets up to the 40's so I'm going to try to get my winter sowing done. They say next week is going to be bitterly cold here. UGH!

Luv Yall
Carolyn

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #5986841

Yes i have looked into that . We found out when we were in st paris there were 11 in our zip code !! sheesh and those were the registered one "ack"
I was going to stay at the party iwth her for 2 hrs. Then leave. But with this weather prediction i don't know if we will make it ? we shall play it by ear.
i would never let my child sleep over at someones house if i didn't know them ? !! I guess with this small school that alot of the parents already now one another .
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #5986988

Hi, everyone. Just catching up and trying to stay awake. I am ready to go to bed, but don't want to until a little later so I"ll sleep through the night. It's so hard to stay awake, though! Work was fun again today, but that concrete is going to break me in. LOL My leg feels okay tonight, just have tightness in my mid and lower back. I'm doing the whole ibuprofen and heat thing and it's loosening up.

Tomorrow's going to be such fun driving to work. I hope the salt crews are hitting SR161 very heavily along with Hamilton Road. I wonder how much extra time to allow myself. Hope we get more snow than ice. Just in case, I covered the windshield and front doors' windows with a sheet closed in the doors, plus covered the back window with another sheet closed in the back doors. At least I should be able to just open the doors (I hope!), pull off the sheets, and be on my way!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #5987299

::::::Note to self again::::::: Hurry up and get that cake from Neal's, it's gonna start snowing soon.

::::::Doing the 2 cake dance up the freeway:::::::::::

GOD I NEED TO BE CLOSER TO YOU ALL! I WOULD NEVER BE HOME!

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #5987307

Kimberley how long since you changed those New Balance's.
Plus being back at work you are using muscles you haven't been using.
Stretch it out!
I'd say it's just a bit of Soreus Muscleus.
As you join the Elders you WILL get this...
As well as Partus Droopus on the non-muscular areas...LOL!

I'm here Sue.
Just the first 5 day work week in 3 weeks and throw in 2 evening football games...
Remember 24 starts this weekend... NO PLOT giveaways for us TiVo Fans please...

Off to the Hotus Tubus...
Neal I'm waiting to hear from my Sis.
And Lupines do well here...
well not here as I don't grow them but I've seen some beauties in the neighborhood.
Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #5987318

I keep tellin ya to pack da Hoopdy and head south... yer room is ready..
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #5987333

You have no idea how much I wish I could Dusty. I am being held hostage by this house that won't sell!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #5987351

C'mon (((((Toni))))))) Lets do a weekend...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #5987395

Time for a new Thread...

Continued to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/941633/

This message was edited Jan 10, 2009 10:34 AM
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #5987443

Dusty, it didn't work!! Try putting a space after the colon.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #5987536

LOL

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/941633/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America