ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #139 - Starting the New Year

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/935183/

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Oops, I was typing while you were making a new thread, Dusty! I hope I don't derail everyone...

Renee`... take your DD214 and your ID and go see the Qualifications Officer at the VA...I am told the Cincy VA is okay...I have taken patients there several times, for proceedures that Dayton does not do...

Considering you have no job, you will have no problem qualifying for the MEANS test...and yes.. go see the Vet Rep...You may even be hired at the hospital...Unit clerks etc...They don't advertise, so see the Human resources officer....

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Great, thanks!

Anytime... ^_^

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

where o where is our cookie ? Dusty what have you done !!! maybe we need to send out a search party for her ?

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Cookie is probably recovering from all the travel and trips that she has made over the holidays. Or maybe she is just hiding, in order not to have to go on any more trips.

Kimberly, of jeez, you could have been getting care all along. Somebody needs to do some PR on who qualifies, probably plenty of people out there suffering needlessly.

Tackling the paper monster, and writing some complaining letters, to see if we can get some help with a slovenly neighbor to the church who is creating a traffic hazard, by parking junky vehicles on the church property and blocking safe exit to a busy highway. The squeaky wheel you know.

Sue, I do mostly mystery books, however I am currently delving into some weighty book about spirituality. Sure is tough reading.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

PR? Spend money on letting people know they qualify for benefits?? It seems to me they'd rather fly their jets over college football bowl games.....yeah, that sort of tweaks me that we're spending taxpayer dollars for jets at football games and not on vets....

Don't get me started on the waste Robi Jo...I am furious right now over it out at the Dayton VA with their Valet parking and Wheelies having to unload in inclement weather at the prime care door because we are not allowed under the front canopy anymore.... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Hey Bons... Is now the time for the Poppy seeds?? I have quite a bit of them waiting here...

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm starting Pansy seeds today, and anything else i can think of that will do well in the Spring. I can't stand not having things growing in the house beside philodendron!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Dusty, any time between now and March is fine for sowing poppies. I'll probably wait just to make sure they don't run off with heavy rains we may get before now and then (we're up on this hill). I sowed some of the ones from Marcy on top of snow as an experiment. It worked well and I could see where I'd sown them. I was concerned birds would see them too well but they didn't get 'em all if they did see them.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the reminder Robin! I got pansies and violas I need to start. Yayyyy!!!!...it's time!

Thanks Neal.....I remember you saying that you had sowed on the snow, but I didn't remember when it was...Maybe I will wait til we get one and then do it since I have time...

Actually Dusty, I sowed some this morning. Will also do another sowing later, but just had them laying on the counter, and couldn't resist.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

What's that Dusty? Patients that travel in your vehicles have to disembark in the pouring rain and snow, while the ones who come in cars don't?? What the...???

Yup.. ya heard me right...People able to walk get the canopy, and my already compromised Wheelie people have to sit on the hoist in the rain until I get it to the ground and haul hinnie to the door with them....They started that Valet garbage on Nov 17th...I am livid!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That's terrible! I'd be making a major squeaky wheel about that. Write some letters to the editors at the paper, contact the local news stations. If anyone needs to be sheltered from the elements, it's those who depend on others for their mobility. Sheesh!

Dad's the same, has the tube siphoning out his tummy so everything below it can have some rest and loosen up. He can't stay awake to read or watch TV, so he's pretty much just sleeping. Mom went in at Noon and is leaving in time to get to her friend Clair's before dark, either that or spending the night in the surgery waiting room since there are recliners in there. She'd be sleeping in a recliner at her friend's since the woman's daughter and infant grandbaby are living with her right now.

Dad knows I was there all night, and mom said he understands if I don't come in this evening. He couldn't even stay awake enough to say hello on the phone, so there's no point driving 45 minutes to pop in and watch him sleep.

About the benefits - I've left a message on mom's voicemail asking for the branch of service dad was in, where he served and what he did, and for how long. I've been browsing the Department of Veteran Affairs website to see what all it says. http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/ Dad's always maintained that he is not eligible for full benefits for some reason. He's in no state to talk about it, and mom may not know all the necessary details. I know they've talked to a caseworker (?) with the vet admin, though.

I did see that there are provisions for emergency visits, but it looks like his having Medicare will negate them:
http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/Library/FAQs/ECFAQ.asp

Hey Bons... Cookie actually WAS out traveling...She was in Waynesville having lunch with a friend...She needed to go to Krogers, so I hitched a ride with her and got my groceries and smokes...
The poppies I have are irreplaceable, so I gotta do it right..I have been watching the yard to see where the sun is, and found my spot...
It is 44 here now and supposed to be between 45* and 52* from now and Sunday, so I'm going to get these bulbs in the ground this weekend that I got on sale...and also my 4 roses in the tub on the patio..It's a good start on my red, white and blue, Veterans garden...I need a new Peace rose and a new Veterans rose to replace the ones I left behind in FL...

As soon as I get my car situation taken care of, I am going to get the galvanized pipe and couplers and pulleys and rope, and build my flagpole to go in the center of it...I have the lights to uplight it with at night, and the wire to run out to it...It has to be about 30 feet tall as I have 4 flags that have to be on it...My Army Unit flag from Nam, a navy flag, a POW flag, and my official US Govt issue flag that has been flown over my home base of Ft Campbell, KY at my 101st Airbourne Unit...
GO SCREAMING EAGLES!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Kimberley...Jim is not service connected, receives NO VA pension of any kind, nor retirement as he was only in 10 yrs...He has Medicare...He is treated at the VA...I don't know what more I can say...The VA pulls money from Medicare if you have it...You need a copy of his DD214, and if he doesn't have one, it can be ordered...That taken to the Quals officer will get the ball rolling for him...I have fought tooth and nail for Vets on the street for years, and got their Medical care at the very least.. I KNOW what I'm talking about...How old is your Dad???

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Dusty, I never said dad hasn't been treated at the VA. Dad does receive treatment from the VA.

That was my point -- He was freaking out about going to anyplace BUT the VA because he is worried sick about going some place his VA benefits won't cover.

And when he called the VA in Dayton yesterday evening asking if he could just come to the ER, the person he spoke to told him he would have to be sent there by his primary VA doc. Dad said there wasn't a way to reach her. The guy at the VA in Dayton made it sound like they wouldn't take him without that doc ordering it. Dad doesn't always understand things right, so it's hard to say whether he just assumed he couldn't reach his VA doc or if he really couldn't.

It's a darned good thing he didn't hold out for mom to drive him to Dayton, because it could have been really bad for him last night. Oh, and he's 61.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2009 6:02 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Dusty, my brother was in the 101st in 'Nam... wounded in the field there.

Kimberly, keeping Bob in t's and p's...

Not much going on here. A neighbor took me yesterday to see his cousin who just finished slaughtering several hogs, and I came home with 3 boxes of unskinned pork fat. I cleaned up about half today (lots of waste if you aren't making fried pork skins), and tomorrow will make several pounds of venison sausage. I'm told venison fat is nasty tasting, so I fully trimmed mine before I ground and froze it. Thus it needs added pork fat to be slightly juicy when fried. Deer season ends tomorrow so unless Mike gets another deer, I have all I'll get until next fall.

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey...

I see you are up and flying Kim. That's good.

About VA benefits:

This is what I know for fact because I have used them and still do.

If your Dad is an honorably discharged active duty veteran of any branch of the armed services for over 180 days he is eligible for life time medical benefits for life. He is not eligible for Dental or Vision benefits unless he was refered by a Medical Dr. for such services. If financially feasible to the VA (meaning if the Vet is insured by other means) The VA will charge the veteran's insurance company. If the Vet has no other insurance and cannot financially afford to pay (The Means Test Dusty spoke of) the VA will still treat the Vet and send him a bill for co-pays. I currently pay $6 per prescription and $20 of in office care (Mammograms etc.).

This is what I know to be fact Kim. I have an appointment on the 6th at the ENT clinic at the VA on Wade Park in Cleveland. Since I have been off work for my back, and (yes I get treatment there for that too since my wonderful employer cut off my insurance but that's another story in itself). I have been to the VA for flu shots, eye glasses, pain meds for my back, shingles, mammograms, blood work, smoke cessesion, and now this dang ear infection that won't go away. This is only in the last 4 years and it has cost me maybe $150 total.

Don't listen to the hype Kim. Dusty is right.

Seriously. More Vets should use their benefits cause just like your Dad most people don't know about them.

Love you and keeping you near and dear.

((((((((((((((((Hey Everybody Else, Love you all too)))))))))))))))))

Toni

Ok disregard my soapbox tyrade. In my best Gilda Radner voice....

Never Mind.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL (((Dusty & Toni))) Don't put the soapbox too far away. I know you're trying to help! Leave it to the government to make things as complicated and daunting as possible so people won't know what to do! And you can call and talk to a clueless social aid just as easily as you can call and talk to a clueless tech support person at a big company. Some people just don't educate themselves about what their employer offers and share the information with their "customers", whoever they are.

Yeah... Me too Toni....She made it sound like he had never been to the VA because he didn't think he was eligible.....Ohhh welll...at least we helped Renee` find out she had benefits...

FYI.. In an emergency, you do NOT need a referral or to call.. all you need to do is show up at the ER door...By car, ambulance, whatever...

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

((((GW)))) I'm just glad he's getting treatment and hopefully will be doing well soon. I know you must be exhausted....hugs to you.

I was playing in Waynesville and having a grand time! We should all meet there sometime, wouldn't that be fun???

Two more days off and then back to work. :O( I kind of like this retired stuff!! ^_^

So are you saying you're sowing those poppies outside now? I have some that I want to sow also and I don't want to miss my window!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hello, I'm right here. I never said he had never been to the VA because he didn't think he was eligible. When I first posted about this, I said this: "He's a veteran and has to go to a veterans hospital to have coverage." When I posted I did not know he had Medicare A & B. You know how you learn stuff as it occurs.

He has received services from VA hospital and clinic for years - that was not the issue. The issue was what would happen since he is not in a VA facility. I just reported what the person at Dayton told him about him coming out there. That much we know was what he was told. Whether it was true or not is irrelevant at this point; he was in terrible pain and afraid and it was a baaad time.

Anyway, this is what my mom found out and relayed to me by phone. He was asleep again so I could not find out more. He served for 2 years, 1966-68. He was an E5, a company clerk, and served at Ft. Benning, Ft. Lewis and Ft. Hood.

I'm in the middle of this and have had enough for the night. I'm out of here.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2009 7:16 PM

My Apologies.... I will just keep my big mouth shut from now on...

LOL No you won't Dusty and neither will I LOL

((((((((((((Smooches Big Sis)))))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((Smooches Kim and Kims Mom...two strong women)))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((Smooches Joyce))))))))))))))))))) Yeah let's go shopping! I could use some serious retail therapy.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Toni and Dusty, as long as this is up for discussion, can you help me out some? DH (age 55) has not used the VA medical benefits. I think the nearest facility is about 100 miles away. Does he need to "pre-register" with the VA in order to be treated for an emergency at a civilian hospital? He's only been to the doctor a couple of times in the eight years we've been together for minor illnesses. Should we be carrying a copy of his DD214? We usually have insurance when he's working, but none when he isn't working.

GW, hang in there! We know this hard on you, too.

Sure hope that all the red tape concerning the VA is unraveled and some sense made of it. It is government, and of course one person has one story and another has another. Seems to me to be lack of communication. Every place I worked, there was orientation, and the employees were told what the programs were, the benefits, well versed in the types of questions that people called in for, in fact we had handbooks with the questions people asked, and the CORRECT answers.

Don't get me on a soapbox about the government, just heard on the news that some illegal immigrants are getting public housing while US citizens are out on the street. Am I crazy or is there something wrong with this picture? I say round up all the illegals and ship them back to where ever they came from, and take care of our citizens first. If immigrants want to come to this country, let them do it legally, and LEARN THE LANGUAGE!!

Joyce, don't get too used to this life of leisure, you gotta work girl!! I have never had a job I liked as well as retirement. And get this, they mail me a check every month, just for staying home!! Yes, you can sow poppy seeds outside now till about March. They need cold. You need to sprinkle them on the ground, and if there is no snow cover, just take your hand and press them lightly into the soil, no covering them up. Just good contact with the soil.

Darius, I have heard that venison fat is nasty tasting, so the remedy is to use pork fat to make the sausage? I will have to remember to tell some of DH's nephews about that. We haven't slaughtered a hog for several years, and miss all that fresh meat. We did it all from actually killing it, to rendering the lard. Course lard is not PC now, but nothing better for baking.

Didn't accomplish much today, other than some paper work. We had a very nice visit from some older friends this afternoon, and they invited DH to a wild game dinner that their church puts on every year. The ladies are not invited,so I will be going to her house (she is 86) and taking some food, and we will have our own meal while the guys sample the game. They are having bear, elk, deer, squirrel, rabbit, and other goodies. I told DH that he has to at least taste the bear, and let me know what it tastes like.

Well, need to check out some other threads, and my e-mail. Don't know what tomorrow holds, other than a few errands.

MsRob...I really don't know the answer to that. I would however call the Vet Rep at the VA closest to you and ask them.

Good question, I have no clue as I have always lived/worked near a VA Hosp since I got out of the Air Force.

I do know that the VA has shuttle buses for some of the farther Cleveland 'burbs or will reimburse transportation costs but Dusty may be better at answering that or knowing how to sign up.

Robin...He must by law, be treated at any civilian hospital for an emergency...that is nationwide...He should however register, aka enroll in the VA program by taking the DD214 and getting the process done... They will issue him a VA ID card...They will ask for copies of any insurance he has...as they will bill them for any treatment he gets at the VA...In the case of those on Medicare as my hubby is, they rob Peter to pay Paul...in a sense...Medicare pays them the 80%, and they absorb the 20%...Both Govt entities...If they are admitted to a civvy hospital, the VA will order them transported asap is safe to do so to the nearest VA facility IF the 2 facilities are notified that they are a VA patient...The VA provides your Primary care Physician...and that Dr should always be notified that you are being admitted for whatever ailment to a Civilian hospital...They will then make the decision and give the order for transport to a VA Hospital or not...They also need to be notified so they can get records of any treatments done so they can update your files...
In Jims case of his sextuple bypass in 2000, the VA paid the entire bill of over $280K for his surgery and 11 days inpatient at a civvy hospital as they deemed it was unsafe to move him to the nearest VA...
Your Hubby can be working in Timbuctu and get a hangnail and go to the nearest VA clinic and get a bandaid...no charge...
NEVER carry the original DD214...Make a copy, but keep the original safe...and once he registers, he will not need it again...

as for you Miz Toni....You want RETAIL, you better get the Hoopdy packed and headed south!!!

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Goodmorning, My Friends! Hope you all have some halfway decent weather up your way, too. We got out for an enjoyable walk around our place yesterday. The temps have been pretty nice for several days, but the wind has been so cold, so I've been staying in.

FYI: walking in crocs on soft ground through the woods is not reccomended. Don't know what happened, but I fell forward in slow motion, stopping a few inches short of having my nose in the dirt. Sure grateful not to have done the damage like Darius did when she took a nose dive! Luckily nothing was hurt except my pride and we had a good laugh over it!

Still waiting on the phone call to let us know where we're headed next. Found out that both of the two jobs we're hoping for, still aren't hiring yet. Maybe in 2 weeks. Can't really get into anything productive around here, because it would require hauling out tools or supplies of some sort. Might go out and throw some seed in the spring vegetable today, to see what happens. I've been filling in the 2009 calender with birthdays and anniverseries, filling in a new address book and downsizing the stuff in my "activity box" suitcase that I take with us when we go on the road. Already have the entire garden and flower beds planned for this summer and my calender of when to start seeds or when to plant in the garden done. Really itching to put the greenhouse and buying a tiller to get started on the new garden!

Toni & Dusty, thanks! Need to get him registered.

Bonnie, DITTO!

GW, hope your Dad is doing better!

Have a great day!

Good Morning all... There is an interesting article on the Michigan Gardeners Forum about seeds...Now that it is getting to be time, you might want to check it out...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/938143/

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Howie's nephew Tommy is being deployed to Iraq this month. There's a ceremony today at OSU's St. John's Arena today, so we're heading there and then to the hospital to see dad and mom.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Dusty, since the poppies can't be replaced, I'd recommend winter sowing some in a container to help ensure you get some going. As long as the seedlings are planted out small- 2 sets of true leaves (I plant out little clumps of seedlings so the roots don't get disturbed), they will transplant fine.

Thanks Neal...I am saving some milk jugs just for that, and I also have a tray of little peat pots that never got used last year...I just hope I don't mess it up...LOL

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Remember Sunny? She came to the roundup at Jazz's with me. Well, Sunny gave me some fancy poppy seeds - but I know that they are annuals, not perennials. I do not have a way to start them indoors, my house is dark and I have a greenery munching cat. Anyway - do you sow all kinds of poppy seeds outside now?

Also, I use Snapshot on my beds. Last application was late April of 08. Do you think that would affect the seeds? I have one area where I do tomatoes that does not get Snapshot. But, I wanted to turn it back into grass this year, so didn't want to put anything in there. Snapshot is a pre-emergent, like Preen on steroids.

Off to find an unusual light bulb for my refrigerator. Ugh.

Thinking of all of you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.