Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CLIMBING ROSE!!!

Harleysville, PA

I LOVE MY BLAZE. It blooms all summer with June being its best month!!

Thumbnail by jess2132000
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Don Juan

Its my favorite rose period.

Baton Rouge, LA

Wow, that's one GORGEOUS climber! I'll have to read up to see if it's happy in the South as well as in Pennsylvania. Thanks for sharing!

I'm a big fan of Don Juan as well. Mine performs beautifully! =)

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

did you ever decide on candy land or 4th of july.
my fave is aloha also crimson glory except that it gets bs majorly . but the flowers are so great i can forgive it

i love my blaze too . the flowers are small but it blooms its head off and adds soo much color. i read somewhere (i forget where ) that a rose plant has a certain number of petals not flowers , so the smaller the flower the more flowers there are . the more petals a flower has the less flowers the plant has . i wonder if that is true

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

Blaze sure seems to be a survivor that's for sure. I noticed some rose leaves in the mowed grass one day, and fed and watered them and accidently mowed them again, and voila, my little mini rose turned into a blaze,lol. The guy that lived here before kept that area mowed, so i don't know if he knew it was there either. Who knows how long it's been there or what the history is. It might just be a seedling that the birds dropped by. about 7 miles from here, there is some big blaze type roses that are growing in a pasture, i guess it out-survived the homestead.
Otherwise i don't guess i have a favorite, i planted a whole slew of them.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

iris, i suppose you could maybe think of it that way, but i suppose that "certain" number of petals would depend on the size of the rose and cultivar.

Harleysville, PA

I like the looks for Candy land better I think then fourth of July but not sure yet..How fast does it grow? I am also looking at Dream Weaver so not sure which way to go yet..

LOL it wasnt the fastest grower. but it flowers repeatedly

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hands down, Dream Weaver is my favorite. It never stops blooming.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Garden Gate Magazine has a nice article on climbers (Feb issue)

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm with gardenglory, Don Juan hands down.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh my, that Blaze would be a favorite for sure. What a perfect place for it to display its beauty! I understand there is a Improved Blaze too, I wonder how it is improved.

I just love climbers, my favorite kind of rose. I wish I had room for many more. I wish I could see many in flower. Arbors are so special too in the landscape for vertical color.

My biggest splash is Eden Climber. I have neighbors always asking me what the name is. If I feed it and clip it fast after every bloom, I can get 4 bloom cycles in. In fact, I have blooms on it right now, though not looking good, LOL!

What I esp like is it takes a long time to open all its flowers in a flush so the show lasts a long time. Also the flower goes thru so many shapes and color variations, it is a most entertaining rose.

Eden Climber, a star in my garden. You can see 4th of July, also a climber is behind it in full color also.

Thumbnail by Kell
Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

My goodness Kell, what a lush display! I don't see any place to put another plant.lol.
Kell, i think the improved blaze blooms longer than blaze, and is refered to as blaze, came out shortly after blaze and essentially replaced the original.
I got an eden rose, a.k.a. pierre ronsard at chamblees for $5 in a 2-gal container. There is an eden rose ht, but it doesn't climb. rather confusing, because i thought i might have just gotten the eden rose instead of pierre ronsard, but i believe it to be the latter or climbing eden rose,so confusing for sure.

Has it flowered yet Len? It is really confusing if you look at PlantFiles. With just using HMF as the authority, our PF on the Eden HT show Eden Climber pics in error. I personally have never seen the HT in person. HMF shows it a dark pink, all one color.

My whole yard is jammed, Len. Last summer it was hard just walking down the 2 paths in my courtyards too. And my backyard looks like a nursery. I am in such a mess. And what have I been doing all week? Trying to figure out how to stick 3 more DA tree roses in my tiny front garden plot which already has 42 + roses in it. Plus I have so many other kinds of plants to squeeze in! I am planting 6 new clematis in there too as soon I feel better.

I have 3 arbors in there. Amazing isn't it? LOL. Where there is a will there is a way. The one seen easily is Eden Climber, the middle red one showing is 4th of July and the last one you can kind of see PINK peeking thru the crape myrtle on the left, is a real beauty High Society which I truly love. As you can tell, I do not color coordinate. LOL

Thumbnail by Kell
Baton Rouge, LA

Kell, could you please send your climate to Louisiana??? I would love to be able to have that many plants happily growing in a small space with no need for heavy airflow!!! Fungus would quickly set in with them that close down here. =(

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

kell,lol, i can't tell that you don't color coordinate. I can only see every spot of earth covered. Looks fantastic! I see some concrete, I can just picture you out there with a jackhammer!

Len, I have now taken over about 10 feet in front of our garage doors, never to be opened again. I did it slowly over a few years, first having just a row of tree brugs in 25 gallon pots and now I must have 6 rows of potted plants, all kinds. My husband never saw it coming till it was too late.

This last summer I also extended my potted garden down into my car's space in the driveway so now I must park on the street. My husband just wanted it clear for his anniversary present in November. I got some cleared but have so much more to go. And come spring it will just swell again. I may be the sickest person you know.

Ev, I am blessed, this I know. I may get a a bit of fungus but usually just one spraying a summer with that anti fungus for lawns does the trick. The real problem is now when I have to crawl in and start pruning way back. I use hedge clippers and prune hard to keep them with in some kind of bounds.

I get so torn apart. Not fun. In the midst of pruning I swear I am done with roses but come spring I always forget.

I could not find a pic of my beloved climber High Society. It is not a typical pink but rich pink/red. The blooms are huge and plentiful. I need to get my husband to prune off the lower crape myrtle branches to allow more sun to get to High Society so it blooms more in summer when the crape myrtle fills out with leaves. Last summer just one side was in sun and it bloomed a lot. I planted Social Climber at the same time and it sucks.

I went to look at PlantFiles and found one I had posted there. It is truly a stunner. High Society

Thumbnail by Kell
Kannapolis, NC

Oh, Kell, your arbors are gorgeous! How fortunate to have that climate and those roses. Yummy!

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Jess that Blaze is beautiful!

Kell I am so very jealous of what you can grow where you are and the colors so vibrant.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I know the feeling, Kell...I've been trying to figure out for over a month where to put the newest rose I just bought (Enchanted Evening). I literally don't have one square inch of unused space right now. Got bit by the daylily bug a few years ago...need I say more???

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Kell,
Your gardens are just wonderous! This might not even be a word, but you get my drift! Beautiful beyond words. I would love for my garden to be half as lush with blooms. Good work,girl. Lesley

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I agree...Kell's garden is "da bomb".

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Lovely photo of your delightful garden Kell.

I had a blaze once and it was a very nice long blooming climber. My favorite now is Dreamweaver. http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltdiva/802857564/in/set-72157606740913976/
I am trying to resist buying anymore roses Jasperdale. We have a tree stump that needs to be moved and I will put a rose in it's spot, other than that no room!

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

cactuspatch, beautiful roses, all of them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We have very few climbers that are cane hardy here (Zone 3). John Cabot is probably one of the better ones.

Thumbnail by joannabanana

Thanks so much guys. To be honest it is a sheer disaster right now. What a mess. And it only looks perfect about 10 minutes a year. The rest of the time it is in the process of becoming. Exactly what, I do not know. LOL

Poor us, JasperDale. I fall in love with a particular genus too all the time but I still need all my past loves around me. Daylilies all the time are trying to seduce me but so far I have remained strong against them. The few I have planted have turned out to be somewhat ugly so the lure was stopped in its tracks.

I ventured out today, the first time since last Saturday when I went consulting on a rose garden in Bolinas. I was so sick all week. It was so gorgeous out, spring was in the air and daffodils were in Safeway. I am so excited! And I am so ready!

Oh Cactuspatch, your Dreamweaver is so beautiful. I just love your yard. You have such an interesting mix of plants. And the mountains in the background are so gorgeous. If it didn't get so hot there, I think it would be so beautiful to live there.

Gosh Joanna, you deserve a medal for having a garden with such pretty flowers in zone 3A. Your John Cabot is so nice.

Does anyone have Stairway to Heaven growing? After reading the
J & P description, I may have to get one.

I found another picture of High Society.

Thumbnail by Kell
Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Climbers are my favorite, and I have a special rose garden that is primarily a walk-through of arches. A total of 112 different climbers, but a couple are still in pots. The garden is quite new and the plants are young. I especially like red climbers, and my favorite so far is Crimson Sky, which is very long lasting and such a lovely red. Don Juan is best for fragrance and long stems, and Fourth of July--I love the splashy red and white with yellow!! It is known for hips, but I was pruning mine a lot last season to get it to develop and establish roots, so I didn't see any hips.

Eden and Blaze are indeed lovely climbers. My garden is set up for a rainbow effect, starting with an arch of red (Crimson Sky), then organe (Westerland, but will replace with Blaze of Glory), yellow (I think it is Radiant Perfume, am looking for the old order as I've hard it several years), and white (Mme Alfred Carriere.) Two yellows on one end (Golden Celebration and Graham Thomas), with an orange in the center (Buff Beauty). Small shurbs on the other end outside the arches. It's a work in progress. But I am in love with the red and white theme, and thought of doing a soley red and white garden display some time.... Space is an issue here, too.

Kannapolis, NC

Foxn: Photos, please!

Harleysville, PA

Well my Golden climbed alittle last year and its in its second year. Love the yellow before the sun gets it. Here is is

Thumbnail by jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

Here is another come fall and it had blackspot real bad as you can tell by the photo..

This message was edited Jan 11, 2009 3:10 PM

Thumbnail by jess2132000
St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

My Seven Sisters is great, but it only blooms a few weeks a year.

Thumbnail by happytail
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Wow that is a neat 7 Sisters. Thanks Trouble x2 and Kell--it only gets hot here a couple weeks in August and only in the middle of the day so I that is when I come inside and check out Dave's. We have high altitudes so it cools way down in the afternoon, takes awhile to heat up and low humidity makes higher temps feel more comfortable here than in humid areas. I think you have us confused with AZ? LOL!

This message was edited Jan 13, 2009 6:26 PM

Harleysville, PA

Here is another Westerland

Thumbnail by jess2132000
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I love that one! I really am a fan of peaches. How long has it been on that trellis?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow, all your climbers are gorgeous. I wish we had some that grow like that. Very limited selection here that would be "cane" hardy enough to make it thru the winter.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! That's all I can think of to say about all the above photos. Just wow!

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

Has anyone had any experience with Night Owl. I'm thinking of getting it but would like some opinions first?

WOW Happytail! I bet those few weeks are heaven. What a great rose.

Maybe I should look at NM then Cactuspatch. I always love your pictures! And I love that it cools down in the afternoon. We have little humidity too. It is great.

Jess, so you love Westerland? I was looking at that one today at Regans.

Davis, I grew Night Owl before it was generally available. And I HATED it so much that after 2 years I yanked it out. I had 2 of them. I know others like it but it was an UGLY climber. I had it over a big arbor and it was so aggressive it covered it quickly but my problem was it would put out giant canes from the canes that went over the arbor. These canes at the nodes would grow 6 feet! So I had 6 ft canes waving over my arbor - - 6 feet above it! And it would only flower at the end of these 6 foot canes so if I cut them trying to make the arbor look neat, I cut off most of my flowers. It was a mess. And the flower itself is nothing great. it looked very much like the flower on Dr. Huey, maybe a bit darker.

Regans, who does mail order, had tons of beautiful bareroots. All calling my name!

Thumbnail by Kell

The nicest guy works there who I have gotten to know over the years. He was pulling roses for an online order. Look at how beautiful these are.

Thumbnail by Kell

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.