Photo by Melody

Roses: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CLIMBING ROSE!!!

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 334, Views: 7,050
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

January 2, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #5957165

I LOVE MY BLAZE. It blooms all summer with June being its best month!!

Thumbnail by jess2132000
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #5957411

Don Juan

Its my favorite rose period.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

January 2, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #5957516

Wow, that's one GORGEOUS climber! I'll have to read up to see if it's happy in the South as well as in Pennsylvania. Thanks for sharing!

I'm a big fan of Don Juan as well. Mine performs beautifully! =)
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #5958193

did you ever decide on candy land or 4th of july.
my fave is aloha also crimson glory except that it gets bs majorly . but the flowers are so great i can forgive it
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #5958210

i love my blaze too . the flowers are small but it blooms its head off and adds soo much color. i read somewhere (i forget where ) that a rose plant has a certain number of petals not flowers , so the smaller the flower the more flowers there are . the more petals a flower has the less flowers the plant has . i wonder if that is true
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #5958249

Blaze sure seems to be a survivor that's for sure. I noticed some rose leaves in the mowed grass one day, and fed and watered them and accidently mowed them again, and voila, my little mini rose turned into a blaze,lol. The guy that lived here before kept that area mowed, so i don't know if he knew it was there either. Who knows how long it's been there or what the history is. It might just be a seedling that the birds dropped by. about 7 miles from here, there is some big blaze type roses that are growing in a pasture, i guess it out-survived the homestead.
Otherwise i don't guess i have a favorite, i planted a whole slew of them.
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #5958284

iris, i suppose you could maybe think of it that way, but i suppose that "certain" number of petals would depend on the size of the rose and cultivar.
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

January 3, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #5958409

I like the looks for Candy land better I think then fourth of July but not sure yet..How fast does it grow? I am also looking at Dream Weaver so not sure which way to go yet..
iris28
(dana)Owensboro, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #5958890

LOL it wasnt the fastest grower. but it flowers repeatedly
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 4, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #5962759

Hands down, Dream Weaver is my favorite. It never stops blooming.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #5975775

Garden Gate Magazine has a nice article on climbers (Feb issue)
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #5976744

I'm with gardenglory, Don Juan hands down.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #5978334

Oh my, that Blaze would be a favorite for sure. What a perfect place for it to display its beauty! I understand there is a Improved Blaze too, I wonder how it is improved.

I just love climbers, my favorite kind of rose. I wish I had room for many more. I wish I could see many in flower. Arbors are so special too in the landscape for vertical color.

My biggest splash is Eden Climber. I have neighbors always asking me what the name is. If I feed it and clip it fast after every bloom, I can get 4 bloom cycles in. In fact, I have blooms on it right now, though not looking good, LOL!

What I esp like is it takes a long time to open all its flowers in a flush so the show lasts a long time. Also the flower goes thru so many shapes and color variations, it is a most entertaining rose.

Eden Climber, a star in my garden. You can see 4th of July, also a climber is behind it in full color also.

Thumbnail by Kell

Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #5978377

My goodness Kell, what a lush display! I don't see any place to put another plant.lol.
Kell, i think the improved blaze blooms longer than blaze, and is refered to as blaze, came out shortly after blaze and essentially replaced the original.
I got an eden rose, a.k.a. pierre ronsard at chamblees for $5 in a 2-gal container. There is an eden rose ht, but it doesn't climb. rather confusing, because i thought i might have just gotten the eden rose instead of pierre ronsard, but i believe it to be the latter or climbing eden rose,so confusing for sure.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #5978511

Has it flowered yet Len? It is really confusing if you look at PlantFiles. With just using HMF as the authority, our PF on the Eden HT show Eden Climber pics in error. I personally have never seen the HT in person. HMF shows it a dark pink, all one color.

My whole yard is jammed, Len. Last summer it was hard just walking down the 2 paths in my courtyards too. And my backyard looks like a nursery. I am in such a mess. And what have I been doing all week? Trying to figure out how to stick 3 more DA tree roses in my tiny front garden plot which already has 42 + roses in it. Plus I have so many other kinds of plants to squeeze in! I am planting 6 new clematis in there too as soon I feel better.

I have 3 arbors in there. Amazing isn't it? LOL. Where there is a will there is a way. The one seen easily is Eden Climber, the middle red one showing is 4th of July and the last one you can kind of see PINK peeking thru the crape myrtle on the left, is a real beauty High Society which I truly love. As you can tell, I do not color coordinate. LOL

Thumbnail by Kell

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

January 7, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #5978656

Kell, could you please send your climate to Louisiana??? I would love to be able to have that many plants happily growing in a small space with no need for heavy airflow!!! Fungus would quickly set in with them that close down here. =(
Len123
Adrian, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #5978840

kell,lol, i can't tell that you don't color coordinate. I can only see every spot of earth covered. Looks fantastic! I see some concrete, I can just picture you out there with a jackhammer!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #5978936

Len, I have now taken over about 10 feet in front of our garage doors, never to be opened again. I did it slowly over a few years, first having just a row of tree brugs in 25 gallon pots and now I must have 6 rows of potted plants, all kinds. My husband never saw it coming till it was too late.

This last summer I also extended my potted garden down into my car's space in the driveway so now I must park on the street. My husband just wanted it clear for his anniversary present in November. I got some cleared but have so much more to go. And come spring it will just swell again. I may be the sickest person you know.

Ev, I am blessed, this I know. I may get a a bit of fungus but usually just one spraying a summer with that anti fungus for lawns does the trick. The real problem is now when I have to crawl in and start pruning way back. I use hedge clippers and prune hard to keep them with in some kind of bounds.

I get so torn apart. Not fun. In the midst of pruning I swear I am done with roses but come spring I always forget.

I could not find a pic of my beloved climber High Society. It is not a typical pink but rich pink/red. The blooms are huge and plentiful. I need to get my husband to prune off the lower crape myrtle branches to allow more sun to get to High Society so it blooms more in summer when the crape myrtle fills out with leaves. Last summer just one side was in sun and it bloomed a lot. I planted Social Climber at the same time and it sucks.

I went to look at PlantFiles and found one I had posted there. It is truly a stunner. High Society

Thumbnail by Kell

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

January 8, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #5979587

Oh, Kell, your arbors are gorgeous! How fortunate to have that climate and those roses. Yummy!
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 8, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #5979674

Jess that Blaze is beautiful!

Kell I am so very jealous of what you can grow where you are and the colors so vibrant.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 8, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #5981662

I know the feeling, Kell...I've been trying to figure out for over a month where to put the newest rose I just bought (Enchanted Evening). I literally don't have one square inch of unused space right now. Got bit by the daylily bug a few years ago...need I say more???
LesMc
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #5986454

Kell,
Your gardens are just wonderous! This might not even be a word, but you get my drift! Beautiful beyond words. I would love for my garden to be half as lush with blooms. Good work,girl. Lesley
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 9, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #5986491

I agree...Kell's garden is "da bomb".
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #5988081

Lovely photo of your delightful garden Kell.

I had a blaze once and it was a very nice long blooming climber. My favorite now is Dreamweaver. http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltdiva/802857564/in/set-72157606740913976/
I am trying to resist buying anymore roses Jasperdale. We have a tree stump that needs to be moved and I will put a rose in it's spot, other than that no room!
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #5988244

cactuspatch, beautiful roses, all of them.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #5988838

We have very few climbers that are cane hardy here (Zone 3). John Cabot is probably one of the better ones.

Thumbnail by joannabanana

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 11, 2009
6:16 AM

Post #5991625

Thanks so much guys. To be honest it is a sheer disaster right now. What a mess. And it only looks perfect about 10 minutes a year. The rest of the time it is in the process of becoming. Exactly what, I do not know. LOL

Poor us, JasperDale. I fall in love with a particular genus too all the time but I still need all my past loves around me. Daylilies all the time are trying to seduce me but so far I have remained strong against them. The few I have planted have turned out to be somewhat ugly so the lure was stopped in its tracks.

I ventured out today, the first time since last Saturday when I went consulting on a rose garden in Bolinas. I was so sick all week. It was so gorgeous out, spring was in the air and daffodils were in Safeway. I am so excited! And I am so ready!

Oh Cactuspatch, your Dreamweaver is so beautiful. I just love your yard. You have such an interesting mix of plants. And the mountains in the background are so gorgeous. If it didn't get so hot there, I think it would be so beautiful to live there.

Gosh Joanna, you deserve a medal for having a garden with such pretty flowers in zone 3A. Your John Cabot is so nice.

Does anyone have Stairway to Heaven growing? After reading the
J & P description, I may have to get one.

I found another picture of High Society.

Thumbnail by Kell

Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #5992601

Climbers are my favorite, and I have a special rose garden that is primarily a walk-through of arches. A total of 112 different climbers, but a couple are still in pots. The garden is quite new and the plants are young. I especially like red climbers, and my favorite so far is Crimson Sky, which is very long lasting and such a lovely red. Don Juan is best for fragrance and long stems, and Fourth of July--I love the splashy red and white with yellow!! It is known for hips, but I was pruning mine a lot last season to get it to develop and establish roots, so I didn't see any hips.

Eden and Blaze are indeed lovely climbers. My garden is set up for a rainbow effect, starting with an arch of red (Crimson Sky), then organe (Westerland, but will replace with Blaze of Glory), yellow (I think it is Radiant Perfume, am looking for the old order as I've hard it several years), and white (Mme Alfred Carriere.) Two yellows on one end (Golden Celebration and Graham Thomas), with an orange in the center (Buff Beauty). Small shurbs on the other end outside the arches. It's a work in progress. But I am in love with the red and white theme, and thought of doing a soley red and white garden display some time... Space is an issue here, too.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

January 11, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #5993039

Foxn: Photos, please!
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

January 11, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #5993230

Well my Golden climbed alittle last year and its in its second year. Love the yellow before the sun gets it. Here is is

Thumbnail by jess2132000

jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

January 11, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #5993235

Here is another come fall and it had blackspot real bad as you can tell by the photo..

This message was edited Jan 11, 2009 3:10 PM

Thumbnail by jess2132000

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6002489

My Seven Sisters is great, but it only blooms a few weeks a year.

Thumbnail by happytail

cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6002687

Wow that is a neat 7 Sisters. Thanks Trouble x2 and Kell--it only gets hot here a couple weeks in August and only in the middle of the day so I that is when I come inside and check out Dave's. We have high altitudes so it cools way down in the afternoon, takes awhile to heat up and low humidity makes higher temps feel more comfortable here than in humid areas. I think you have us confused with AZ? LOL!

This message was edited Jan 13, 2009 6:26 PM
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

January 14, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6003957

Here is another Westerland

Thumbnail by jess2132000

cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6004284

I love that one! I really am a fan of peaches. How long has it been on that trellis?
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 14, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6004519

Wow, all your climbers are gorgeous. I wish we had some that grow like that. Very limited selection here that would be "cane" hardy enough to make it thru the winter.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #6005622

Wow! That's all I can think of to say about all the above photos. Just wow!
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2009
5:37 AM

Post #6007437

Has anyone had any experience with Night Owl. I'm thinking of getting it but would like some opinions first?

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2009
5:58 AM

Post #6007469

WOW Happytail! I bet those few weeks are heaven. What a great rose.

Maybe I should look at NM then Cactuspatch. I always love your pictures! And I love that it cools down in the afternoon. We have little humidity too. It is great.

Jess, so you love Westerland? I was looking at that one today at Regans.

Davis, I grew Night Owl before it was generally available. And I HATED it so much that after 2 years I yanked it out. I had 2 of them. I know others like it but it was an UGLY climber. I had it over a big arbor and it was so aggressive it covered it quickly but my problem was it would put out giant canes from the canes that went over the arbor. These canes at the nodes would grow 6 feet! So I had 6 ft canes waving over my arbor - - 6 feet above it! And it would only flower at the end of these 6 foot canes so if I cut them trying to make the arbor look neat, I cut off most of my flowers. It was a mess. And the flower itself is nothing great. it looked very much like the flower on Dr. Huey, maybe a bit darker.

Regans, who does mail order, had tons of beautiful bareroots. All calling my name!

Thumbnail by Kell

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2009
5:59 AM

Post #6007470

The nicest guy works there who I have gotten to know over the years. He was pulling roses for an online order. Look at how beautiful these are.

Thumbnail by Kell

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

January 15, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6007840

Oh, oh, oh, Kell. You've made me jealous, just looking at that wonderful rose nursery. I really have to visit some of our local rose growers this spring. Mighty healthy plants there.

Angie
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6008101

Gosh, how wonderful it would be to go and pick out one's own bareroot plants!

I wish that David Austin in Tyler here in TX did that. That would be soo cool! Periodically I drive by their place on the way to visit number-one-son at school and stare. Kind of like the way my cat stares at me when she wants something. Sort of a brainwave to the folks inside the building. Helloooo, will you ever have an on site sale? Will you ever let us Austin nuts walk in and select our own roses? Will you ever have a demonstration garden?

Well, its not like I'm stalking them or anything...it would just be cool, that's all!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 15, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6008438

I have a similar problem to Kell's with a Lemon Meringue climber. It too, covered the arbor very quickly but sends out these giant canes and the blooms only come on the ends of the canes. I now have these huge canes shooting way up over the top of the arbor and into the limbs of a large tree..which looks pretty odd, but I'm going to see what happens with it this year.

Oh the problems we run into !!!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #6009518

Really Mike, life is just not fair! LOL!

Oh Terri, I would so love to go to a David Austin demo garden. DA roses are so photogenic.

I didn't even buy 1 rose!!! They did not have the 3 I wanted so I got none. WILL POWER surfaced that I am not known for at all!!! I did look at every single bareroot rose they carried though. And took pics of about 10 name tags that I want to reseach, most were climbers I was not familiar with.

Regans also has a huge inventory of rose trees which I just love. More than other nurseries around here. I had to look at everyone. Some had so many grafts I had the worse time not buying them. I kept seeing a huge ball of flowers when I looked at them. But I have 4 tree roses not yet planted from last year's bareroot season! I had bought them for a friend so really had no place in here in mind for them. They are in 5 gallon pots and so need to be in the ground. Along with so many bush roses in pots I bought at Regans the fall before when they were half price. Not to mention about 10 I ordered from different online nurseries. Shoot as I think about them all, NO MORE ROSES FOR ME!

Tree roses galore at Regans.

Thumbnail by Kell

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6009522

Oh I saw this climber that caught my attention big time. I so wish I could see it in person. I was thinking it may be a new one. I bet Pretty Sue would like it.

Thumbnail by Kell

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6009821

LOL, you know my taste! I already got a shot of it at the Healdsburg nursery last year, they had all the new test roses. But I will wait to hear reviews from others, I remember your Night Owl disappointment.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/223432/

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6010002

OK, so I'm on the lookout for the Westerland. I LOVE that color, and don't really have one like it.

The Seven Sisters has only been on that arbor for 2 years now. I can't believe how much it's grown. It does the wild 10 foot canes, but blooms all along the length of it. It also roots anywhere it happens to touch the ground. There are 4 plants, one on each corner of it, and they were just little cuttings from a friend of mine. But I do love it. It really needs to be trimmed now, but if I do, I'll be cutting buds off of it. It'll have to wait til after the spring blooms.

Our local nursery had around 1000 newly planted bare root roses earlier. I forced myself not to look. DH was with me, and I just can't take my time when he's along. Can't wait to go back though!
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6015044

Jess, how old is your Blaze? It's so beautiful, I'm wondering what I might could expect from mine (just planted this fall).
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

January 17, 2009
12:07 PM

Post #6015554

Blaze took about 3 years to look nice for me. I love it but it does get bad blackspot if I do not stay on top of it.. I love this rose bush so I work with it as much as I can with BS. It stays on bloom most the summer just not as nice a spring flush but still nice flowers..

Westerland is another nice blooming rose and mine has grown at a nice rate. I planted America next to it and Westerland is tripled its size compared to America.. America is pretty but slow growing here and BS pretty bad last year...Westerland never gets BS at all here. Low maintance climber! its a keeper not sure on America yet!!!

Thumbnail by jess2132000

Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6015917

Hemphobic, I can't post pictures yet. My files are screwed up and I need to spend some time setting them up so they can be easily pasted into DG. I hope to have this done before too long..

Seven Sisters is lovely--lots of the old roses seem to have pliable canes that bloom along the lengths. I think special pruning is required for many newer ones especially floribundas, to get more side shoots and blooms out of thick canes. Floribundas tend to send out big thick canes. These need to be cut out period, to keep the shapes you want. I have a "Marmalade Skies" standard that does this, too. It is a lesson in pruning techniques.

Kell--Your experience is disappointing. Night Owl seems to require more pruning than normal, and is not what you want from a climber. Perhaps it can make a good rose tree standard or shrub, though?
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

January 17, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6016080

Okay, Foxn. We'll wait as patiently as possible :-)

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6016272

Foxnfirefly
Quoting:easily pasted into DG
???
Not sure what you meant by this but you can't paste images here. If your pictures are on your computer, they can be added here. You simply click the Browse button, scroll to the folder that contains the image you want and upload it.

If I got it wrong, never mind. :-)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6023896

Kell, I just broke down and added a Lady Emma Hamilton standard rose to my Austin order.

Climbing Chocolate Sundae is on my want list. I received a Papi Delbard as a band (it looked really good when I got it--a bit small, but very healthy) and have been nursing it along. It has been out in the unheated greenhouse/shed and has been receiving the same treatment as all my other bands and potted roses but I noticed it was losing leaves and few days ago. This morning it really looks as if it is beyond help. I understand that Papi is hard to propagate so I think I will have to look at another climber. Chocolate Sundae may just fill my Papi-spot! But like Calif_Sue I will wait to hear some reviews before I order. Especially after my Papi experience. Isn't Chocolate Sundae a Kordes rose? I usually really like the Kordes's.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6045639

Calif_Sue,
It used to be that I could pull up a folder of pics, click on a picture, and it would go into the Image field on DG. Not anymore. It seems that when I find a picture, I couldn't get it to display as before to select it. Now I see I have to "upload" it somewhere else. I just tried and still couldn't make it do anything. I am just a bit confused and impatient in trying to get the proper steps. I did find the picture of the rose garden. I will try again later.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6045868

This is my one rambling baby pink rose. It is a once bloomer, but not every year due to weather and my neglect. I took a cutting from an old old German cemetery. The rose has many 1" or so blooms in clusters similar to poly types. Absolutely no fragrance. Some of the runners get over 20' and will root on the along the runner.

Could some of you experts out there please help me identify this rose.

Thanks,

Jerry

Thumbnail by texasrockgarden

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6045934

Quoting:I have to "upload" it somewhere else.

No, you don't have to upload it elsewhere, like host it elsewhere on a photo web sharing site, that won't work here. Images can only be added as a thumbnail in a thread or PlantFile by uploading directly from your computer.
There must be something wrong with your file or the names on your photos, some step you are missing.
You should be able to view your images on your computer by going to My Documents >My Pictures and then your pictures should be there. If you note the name of the folder your images are in, then you should be able to scroll to that folder from the drop down menu here in the Upload photo function.
Think of your My Pictures folder as a sub folder of your My Documents folder and then any folders within your My Pictures folders are also sub folder within that folder. That's how you scroll through the drop down menu, going through each folder until you find the right one and then you'll see the image you want.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

January 24, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6046164

Foxn: Make sure your photos are in .jpg format. They should upload with no problem.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6046623

You might also check that the photo file isn't too big. I don't know what the limit is, but I've sometimes had to resave a pic into a smaller file size or it won't post, the computer just sits there.
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2009
7:05 AM

Post #6127339

Hi, since no one posted a photo of Don Juan, thought I'd put mine in to show how hardy they are at 7,000 feet and temps below 0° at times. Climbers are my favorite, though I really like the carpet roses too. That's Betty Prior in the corner.

Donna

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 12, 2009
7:12 AM

Post #6127348

Betty and Don make a nice couple !
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2009
7:34 AM

Post #6127361

That's a lovely setting, Donna. I especially like those rocks.
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6129034

There's a method to my madness when it comes to rocks up here. Not only do they look neat in the garden and are available by the hundreds on our lot, but they make good planting beds and protect the plants and/or trees from extremes in hot/cold weather. And for the best use of rocks, they retain moisture under them, so plants take less water.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom

geraldine87
West Warren, MA

February 14, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6136892

Help!! Am planning on putting an arch over a statue at the historical church in town and want to plant a climbing rose to grow on the arch...
Any suggestions?? Am zone 5..
Do not want red or pink roses...would like a white climber if one will live in zone 5..
Thank you all
Happy Valentine's Day!!
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

February 14, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6137050

Westerland is carefree and nice.. Im looking at Royal Sunset also..
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

February 16, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #6145570

Is there a climbing version of the Knock out rose? I want a climbing rose that does not require spraying and does lots and lots of blooming. I am not particular about the quality of the bloom-----just want color.

Shirleyd
Zone 7b
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

February 16, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6145979

Good Morning Shirley,
I did see a 'climbing kock out rose' somewhere on the internet, just put in 'knock out rose' and hopefully it will come up...
I am going with the 'climbing white iceberg'. It will be on a cathedral arch I saw on J&P.
There will be a 5' statue of Joseph, Mary and Jesus centered under it..
I hope it will do well. I do want a white climbing rose for zone 5 and this one seemed the best.
Good luck with your search!!
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2009

Post #6146061

Check out Westerland and Dublin Bay. They've both been good performers for me a pretty trouble free.
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6146171

of my piddly amount of roses (20 or less in ground since fall), the Only one looking great is Iceberg. Though I'm not experienced, it's made it thru our winter fully clothed, with new growth & looking awesome.
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

February 16, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6146346

Thank you Davis!!!
Now I only have to wait til the nurseries get them in and have to find them!!
Will use the good 'ole' yellow book and save gas!!
If any around or in Massachusetts see them please tell me..thanks..
LeslieT
Bellaire, TX

February 16, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6146436

For those long climbers with lanky canes, such as Climbing Pinkie pictured here, growing them through a tuteur (mine are from Kinsman) works really well. It helps airflow and you get roses in a 360 degree circle. My husband hates having even a thornless cane brush him on the pathway, so I have to keep those canes trimmed back or he'll lop them off! Climbing Pinkie is one of the last two climbers I'm now growing, having given away all the others. It blooms in flushes throughout the year and is relatively free of blackspot - something I'm unwilling to treat in Houston's climate. The purpose of the painted fence is to show off the foliage and flower colors better using color theory. This background color allows me to enjoy even the smallest blooms from the comfort of my air-conditioned and de-humidified house (important in muggy Houston).
Leslie

Thumbnail by LeslieT

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 16, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6146974

That's really a beautiful setting, Leslie. VERY NICE !!!
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

February 16, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6148330

Wow Leslie, just beautiful, what are the blue flowers at the bottom??
Thanks...
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6148439

Wow, I may have to get one of those for my Climbing Pinkie!

Lynn

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6148974

Blue flowers look like pansies to me, I love them massed like that for color impact.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #6149465

Geraldine87--re: white rose for arch in Zone 5--

You might want to look at "Sally Holmes" (Zone 5b). It has a lot of white flowers in flushes all summer. And Iceberg. It is hardy to Zone 4 and its flowers are pristine and bright against dark foliage. It may do better in your area than Sally Holmes. I think Sally Holmes is shrubbier, but would probably be kept to size of arch better. I think Icebergs get as wide as they get tall.
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

February 17, 2009
10:17 AM

Post #6150236

Thanks Fox,
Yes, going with the iceberg...hope I can find 2 good sized ones to buy..
Will let you know how it works out!!
LeslieT
Bellaire, TX

February 17, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6151570

You're right they are massed blue pansies. Sometimes I use violas, but get tired of deadheading them. Originally, I had a parasol-shaped French tuteur, but currently I'm using the large Role Pillars from Kinsman (I also train plumbago through a pillar which makes a great display as well). Individual roses on Climbing Pinkie are semi-double and not individually dazzling, but en masse they are gorgeous. To the right, which doesn't show in this picture, are naturalized 'First Love' dianthus which is gorgeous here in Houston, but hard to find. Directly under Pinkie are three different crinums (Ellen Bosenquet, Mystery, and J. C. Harvey). On the other side of the rose I have various perennials so I have almost year-round color.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

February 18, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #6157329

Thank you Geraldine87-----will try to locate a climbing knock out that way.

I had a gorgeous climbing white iceberg for several years------------then, it decided to die! That is the spot where I plan to put another climber.

Shirleyd
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

February 19, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6157801

Good luck Shirleyd,
If there was a white knock out climber I would be the 1st to get one.
Knock out roses really pay for themselves..
greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #6236162

wow i cant believe no one talks about new dawn .. its a once bloomer but big totally disease free and frost hardy.. if im good and prune right after it blooms i get some second flush..perfect for the novice ..this picture is of the end that wraps around from the front of the house.. this is the day it started to bloom.

Thumbnail by greenobsessed

greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6236174

jess your blaze looks slightly pink. is it? ive never bought it because im not a big fan of reds unless theyve got some pink in them..
taya
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #6236228

taya your New Dawn is gorgeous! Can't believe how huge it is, I planted one this past fall & can't wait for some good growth & those beautiful blooms.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #6236237

ditto !
greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #6236335

thanks .. the thing with this is to keep the canes close to horizontal so it makes lots of laterals and just be prepared to get the canes up and outward before they attack.. they will rip you to shreds. my hubby wont go near them anymore ..so just make sure youve got something sturdy to tie it out on.. heres another pic

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #6236423

Do you have some sort of cables that the canes are attached to, or do you have to always be putting anchors in between the rock facing ?

You couldn't ask for anything nicer than what you've done. It's absolute perfection.

BRAVO !
greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2009
4:32 AM

Post #6236506

thanks for the compliments...un warranted though! that rose has been such a happy thing.. i do nothing except feed and tie it up and hack it off ... i use plastic coated wire and a glob of 2 part epoxy putty.. its the kind you can use on wet pipes.. i put a few lengths of the coated wire in the globs.and let them set over night ... theyve lasted for years.. things hammered into the mortar dont stay long..
im so jealous of you californians ..you can grow so many more thngs...
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6239720

I wonder if I could use that on Vinyl siding? Thank goodness I don't live in Calif., I'd have been in debtors prison by now. LOL
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6244949

That is lovely, Taya. Don't think I can do that on old aluminum siding, either. I always thought New Dawn was sort of blush pink, not white. I bought a rose last year called "White Dawn," and was supposed to be a white flower. But it was very puny to start off with, didn't flower, and didn't do well in growth, either. Could be dead for all I know. We will see this Spring.
greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6248308

for me its only barely blush.. but i tend to think of it as white.. the white dawn isnt as tough and growth hardy.. i shovel pruned the white dawn.. rose snobs sneer at my new dawn till it blooms.. and we have such wind here .and this one faces west..blistering sun and wind and i dont ever loose canes over winter.. the worst part is the pruning.. the other rose ive fallen in love for fragrance .disease resistance and bloominess with is aloha..it was4 feet in 1st year and bloomed from june on..
gtg
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6254197

Hi, I'm so glad I found this thread. I need some advice on picking out a rose to replace a Joan of Arc for my arbor. The canes are too stiff to lie down on top of the arbor. I need something more like Cecile Brunner which I already have planted on one of the other posts. This is a picture of my arbor.

Thumbnail by silverfluter

silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6254215

This is another picture where you can see the Joan of Arc on the right front post. It's the one reaching for the sky.:) I am considering use Cl Iceberg, Ballerina or Kathleen. The other roses on the arbor are Zepherine and Buff Beauty, so I'd like to stick with antiques if possible. And repeat blooming is a high priority.

greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6254703

thats a great arbor! and i certainly cant advise on roses in texas.. but i do have a cl iceberg story..i bought two .. they were my first roses ever.. got em at lowes they said low growing ground cover rose!..so i put them in on either side of the back steps ..they made 15 foot canes the second year so i built a huge arbor for them .. the picture below is the year they outgrew the arbor..the canes are very bendable but really full of thorns.. it was in the second year i realized they were mis identified and figured out what they were.. i moved them 2 years ago and the following spring we had a hard frost in april and they died.( i had a great clematis in them..the whole thing ended up a big thorny beautiful snarl...i was so sad.. the arbor is still bare..
the thing is they bloom a long time but theyre like snow.. no ta lot of detail,no scent and they dont make a good cut flower..
i think you should leave that rose there and add something else before you remove it so you dont have nakedness.

greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6254712

ok silver thats a big arbor ... texas style.. what about a rambler..
greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6254846

heres the same arbor a few years earlier

littlemick
Maryville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #6254900

Silverflutter, try Mme. Isaac Pereire. It is lovely, has unbelievable fragrance,grows so fast and tall, and is the easiest rose to train that I know.
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

March 12, 2009
11:06 AM

Post #6255218

Good morning 'green', love your arbor, I have one on order that looks similar to this one. Will be at church with statue of 'Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus' under it.
I was planning on planting the white iceberg due to my zone, could more trimming have helped with it??
I do want a climbing white rose any other sugestions??
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6255654

Greenobsessed, what a frustrating story! There's few things worse than having a great thing of beauty living in your yard and losing it like that. I like the shape of that arbor. Anytime I can curves in my yard I take it.:)

Littlemick, I hadn't considered Mdm Isaac Pereire, but I remember seeing that somewhere in a garden. It was very impressive. I will check that one out. I remember it smelled really good and that's important.:)

I have a trellis sort of thing with a Mdm. Alfred Carreire (sp?) on it and have the same problem there, but I really like Mdm Alfred, so I'll probably keep it. I like the way the flowers droop down and look at me. I'll try to find a picture.

Ok this is a picture of New Dawn on the fence and on the left edge of the picture is Mdm. Alfred.

silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6255679

This is Mdm Alfred before she gets extreme.:)

silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6255691

This is Mdm Alfred on the roof. I think this was the year we had twice our usual rainfall. She would probably just keep climbing the roof, but we are trying to keep her tied to the trellis so the flowers hang down in front of the window. When it gets really hot the shingles fry the flowers.

dstarr
Sealy, TX

March 12, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6257366

Silverflutter, I'm also in Texas (down Sealy/Bellville way) and I planted a cl. iceberg, a new dawn, a don juan and a cl Cecile Brunner last August. All of them were blooming before the end of summer - even through our heat! I do wish I'd done my homework first, though, 'cause the repeat blooming is very important to me, also! The cecile brunner's a one time bloomer, I believe. Any of those would really do well, though.
Deb
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6257681

I'm a Don Juan advocate! LOL!
dstarr
Sealy, TX

March 12, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6257974

I agree - my Don Juan doesn't seem to get black spot as quickly, blooms are beautiful and smell awesome! Any idea what I can use for my roses' black spot? Maybe I was supposed to take off ALL the leaves from last year, but they already are showing signs of black spot.
Deb
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6258237

I spray neem oil.
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6258240

Rose Defense
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6258245

Messenger-growth hormone
dstarr
Sealy, TX

March 12, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6258284

Don't mean to sound stupid, but is that 3 different items? I've heard of the neem oil.
TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6258474

three different.
first two for black spot
dstarr
Sealy, TX

March 13, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6258590

Great - thanks for the info.
Deb
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6258745

I use milk and water for black spot. Very cheap and easy, but it is a preventive, not a cure.

Dstar, my Cecile Brunner is a repeat bloomer. In fact if it rains enough and I keep up with the fertilizer it blooms continuously. Maybe yours just hasn't been in the ground long enough. Mine is probably 10 years old. It's at the back on the right side of the arbor in the picture above.

My Don Juan hasn't done too well. But I think it's not in a good spot. It's next to the gh and the ramp to the gh is to the left of it and the rock patio is in front of it. So it's closed in on 3 sides. I put a soaker hose on it this year though and it's doing much better.
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

March 13, 2009
10:51 AM

Post #6260307

Hi! Best I use for rose spot disease in Bayers 3 in 1...pesticide, disease and fertilizer...no problem with black spot since using it...
dstarr
Sealy, TX

March 13, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6260881

Hi, all,

Geraldine - I LOVE that stuff! I use it on my trees to keep the bugs off - They're old hackberries and they haven't been taken care of at all. I did buy the Rose Bayer stuff but it's expensive. It didn't seem to make that much difference on the black spot - maybe I need to just continue using and see what happens. They haven't had bugs! Will it get rid of black spot if I continue to use it?
SF- do you combine the two? Maybe the rose isn't the "once bloomer", maybe it's the "New Dawn"? I have MS and my memory's horrible! I drew out a map of sorts, with the names of my plants so I'd remember what I had where. Now I just need to find that map! LOL!!!
How do ya'll keep the air flow going when your climbers' canes are so "together"?
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 13, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6261591

New Dawn reblooms sporadically for me throughout the season. I'm in Zone 7.
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

March 13, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6262135

Hi dstarr, you need to remember that this is systemic, so you cannot eat anything from this plant.
I did get something for season long for bugs on a tree, costs $26 ( put out by 'Bayer'), dilute it and pour into the ground in spring and am set for at least 6 mo.. Will also use this on my hibicus, bugs chew the leaves late July and August...Black spot is tough, I try to buy roses that are resistant to it, too much work to keep black spot under control.
dstarr
Sealy, TX

March 13, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6262282

Hi, Geraldine - The Bayer for trees is a very good product. We have alot of hackberries that seem to attract every kind of bug (not to mention mistletoe) and the ones around the house get that every year. It's too expensive to do all our trees (we live out in the country), but the trees that are most important get it every year. We usually start buying 1 or 2 every payday from Fall thru Spring! lol
The roses I have are all supposed to be "resistant" to disease and black spot - I think there's just no way to escape it completely in the area of Texas I live in. Just have to do my best, I guess! I will continue to use the Bayer for roses - hopefully it will work for me down here as well as it works for you!
Deb
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6263806

Dstar, I didn't understand your question, but the Cecile Brunner is not combined with anything. My New Dawn blooms heavy in spring and off and on after that when she gets enough water and fertilizer. Maybe your once bloomer is Old Blush. I'm trying to remember which other ones bloom only in spring and might look like C. Brunner.

Does anybody have any experience with Kathleen or Ballerina?
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
5:26 AM

Post #6264395

my favorite is Westerland... love that rose...
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 14, 2009
11:06 AM

Post #6264732

Everyone: I hear you talking about Bayer 3 in 1, but all I can find is Bayer All in One, which does have 3 different products. Is this the same stuff?
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

March 14, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6264862

Morning Hemophobic, yes that is the one..Bayer like so many others change the wording to look more 'modern'. As long as the 3 you got it!!
31 in MA. up to 50 later, will go out and rake!
beautifulchaos
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
10:54 AM

Post #6288890

Hello all :-)

I just purchased a cl iceberg and cl peace. I've seen that there's some good feedback on Iceberg, but does anyone have experience growing Peace? I have a new arbor on the way and it will be my first one, along with my first time with training climbing roses. I'm leaning towards putting the Iceberg on it (and buying an additional one for the other side) because I've read so far, that it is claimed to be a less thorny variety. However any advice/input would be appreciated. Do you just have to simply weave the canes through the arbor early on or is there more to it than that? If growing a climber against a fence, does it always require some type of anchoring?

Here is a pic of the arbor -- http://www.plowhearth.com/Enlarge.asp?pcode=1425
The measurements are 53" x 23" x 84"H

Thanks,
Shelley
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

March 19, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6288922

Just beautiful 'Beautiful'!! Great Arbor where did you buy if from?
And where did you buy you buy your Iceberg?
I usually twine the branches and secure loosely with green twine until they get sturdy.
I am also buying 2, on for each side of a 'cathedral arch' I got from Jackson and Perkins.
It's at my church and will look great over statue of holy family.
Great photos, still have to learn how to download photos to send..
Thirties here up to 50 but cloudy and showers...can't wait to help all my perennials comming up.
Snow crocus up and tulips made babies over the winter. Guess we know what they did all winter under ground! Ha Ha.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 19, 2009
11:25 AM

Post #6288933

Lowe's here has cl Iceberg and cl Peace. Last year I planted Iceberg (shrub, not climbing) and it bloomed twice for me. The scent was delicious, so I can't wait for this year!

Angie
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

March 19, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #6289017

Thanks Hemophobic! I work at Lowe's answering phone, a pt. time job to support my gardening 'habit'!
Will check out our garden shop and buy right away! All Lowe's' don't carry the same plant so hoping we get it or will check with other Lowe's in area.
Putting some lobelia and vinca seeds under grow light to germinate. Am always scared on starting seeds, they're so expensive and don't want to kill the seedlings! My morning glories are almost all up, will replant in 2 weeks then put into a folding greenhouse if the weather warms up.
You are all a great help with my garden this year, hopefully next year I will know what to do!
beautifulchaos
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6289060

Thanks Geraldine. ;-) I bought the arbor from Plow & Hearth online. I priced arbors & trellises for days online...and fell in love with that Montebello arbor. (I also bought two of their montebello trellises with wings)...can't wait!! After looking at the arbor styles & prices at Lowe's, I'm really pleased with my final decision.

I bought the cl iceberg (bareroot) at Home Depot and Peace at Lowe's. Neither place had both of them available (at least here in Indy, but the price was better at Lowes. Good luck with your cathedral arch endeavor!

Angie, I bought an Iceberg shrub on sale last fall, along with a couple of other varieties. However, I let them be in their pots and think they may have died. :-( We had some really cold temps. this winter. All three of them are without green canes at the moment. I haven't given up on them just yet, but being that I'm entirely new to roses...I'm not sure what to think about that? I have a friend here that said her roses (in the ground) aren't greening up yet. So, there's hope.

Otherwise, there are some lovely pictures on this thread! (As always, in the rose forum!) Thanks for sharing. ;-)
beautifulchaos
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6289094

Geraldine, I would be in BIG trouble if I worked at Lowe's! I wouldn't have a paycheck left, lol! Actually, I was encouraged to apply as a plant buyer by one of the manager's at the location closest to my house. I spent a good amount of time chatting with the guy and when I started telling him more about the plants that they had in then he knew for himself, he asked what I did for a living. When I explained that I used to do landscape work and then went on to be an assistant manager for some local greenhouses, he encouraged me to apply for that position. He has been there for over 14yrs. and said that Lowe's is a great company to work for. However, it's a full-time endeavor and I don't have the time to dedicate 35-40hrs. a week in addition to my current career. Besides that, like I said, my paycheck would be gone!
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6401731

Jess, I am so glad to see a Westerland rose growing in PA! Is at an own root rose? Do you do anything special (other than basic covering) in the winter? I was trying to decide between Westerland and pink Don Juan. I am a novice gardener, new member to Daves Garden, and killing all but my David Austin Wildeve rose here.
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6403930

You other girls are lucky. Don Juan is the worst Black Spot offender for me. It's pretty much defoliated by June. I add cornmeal to my roses every 3 weeks in the spring and summer but pretty much am no spray (and all organic). I did triy neem oil last year though. Mine is against a wood fence so it may do better if it had better airflow. We have barely had any rain this spring and the sprinkler has not been run but a couple times (and only early in the day so that it's dry by noon). New leaves from a month ago are already very spotty. The only reason she has not been shovel pruned is that beautiful perfect red bloom. I don't think she will last another year though because I don't have the patience.

New Dawn only blooms once for me but she's a tough cookie. Except for organic rose fertilizer about 3 times a year she gets no special treatment and barely any water but rain. I have her climbing/spreading across a 4 foot tall iron fence at the back of my lot and she definitely wants something higher to climb.

I really still have not found my favorite climber. Though I've seen plenty that have potential to be.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6406804

I think my favorite climber (so far) would have to be Mm. Alfred because she smells so good and I like the way the flowers hang down and look at you.:) I'll try to remember to get a better picture tomorrow. This is the best one I have right now.

geraldine87
West Warren, MA

April 14, 2009
11:08 AM

Post #6407594

'Black Spot' AARRGGHHH!!! Was troubled many years with this til I started using the Bayer 3 in 1 for roses and other flowers. I just used it on my roses. Was a little $ but well worth it and it lasted all season. Would start using it early before black spot came. It has fertilizer in it so it helped that way also. I am not a neat or perfect gardener so this did the trick for me!
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6408088

Well, I'm all organic so it's not an option. I did buy a bottle of it many moons ago for other roses, used it on a potted rose (which it killed, probably my fault because I gave it to much) and then decided not to use it when I started reading about it. Don Juan can go before any bees, butterflies, ladybugs, etc. Thanks for the suggestion though.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6411077

Greenobsessed...You have such a beautiful new dawn rose and home! What a perfect combination. There is hope for roses and me yet in PA! By most charts I am in zone 6, but a few have me in zone 5. The weather in this area (mountains near a river) is quite variable. I am in one of the more temperate areas.

How many New Dawn plants do you have? Are your plants bare root or grafted? How many years has it been growing?

I have one rose, David Austin Wildeve, that has survived the winter here. It is listed on the Austin site as one of the hardier varieties. It is starting to bud all the way to the tips of the canes!!! It is a shrub type rose, but also light pink and successful for a rose newbie. It is an own root rose like most shrub roses. Like many of you, I use Bayer systemic 3 and 1. I also spray diluted neems oil after a rain. I use diluted Dawn dish soap to deter Japanese beetles. If I soap the roses, most move to the morning glories.

I haven't pruned it yet, cut it back a bit shortly. I am going to try to root the cuttings. The Austin website says it makes a nice hedge.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6411196

Has anyone here tried Seminole Wind (a.ka. Rosarium Uetersen)? No reviews, yet at http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64871/. It is a Kordes climber listed for zones 4-9. It also has an 8.5 ARS rating, which is encouraging.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6411282

Found a chart on climbing roses (including Kordes and Buck) at
http://www.derrosenmeister.com/climbers.html.

The company is in Ithaca, NY so the information may be helpful for other Northern gardeners.
littlemick
Maryville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #6412175

I have 2 Rosarium Uetersen, I bought them last year from i think Chamblees. They bloomed last year and were a very beautiful , vibrant color. I think they have a weeping, graceful form. I recommend.
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6416238

gardenquilt I can't get the link to work for me.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6416264

The link didn't work because a period was added to the end.
http://www.derrosenmeister.com/climbers.html
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6416458

Sorry about the period, they are troublesome things at times...

Has anyone grown the Joseph's Coat climbing rose? It seems to be grown in grafted form, and is prone to blackspot, but the pictures are so beautiful.

My ideal rose would be hardy to zone 5, own root, disease resistant (especially to black spot), very fragrant, soft romantically colored (pink, lavendar, rose, apricot, peach, butter yellow...dawn-dusk colors.) And on sale, of course.

The search continues...

As to the wm Austin, It was newly arrived in a pot outside. The local store is a "supercenter" and gets lots of shoppers from NJ and NY avoiding higher sales tax. It was the only one of that variety there, but looked healthy. The garden staff there is negligent at best. I don't think that they even water! The goal seems to be quick turn around, especially on weekends. I hope to get lucky again this year... Other local alternatives include Kmart and Home Depot with even worse plant health and availability. Lowes is new here. The local nurseries are extremely expensive. They seem to specialize in flats and trees, not roses.
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6418448

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked the site as theres so some decent info. Need all the help I can get.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6419787

Me too, Davis. I went to school in Ithaca, where the site's company is located. The winters in Ithaca are more harsh than here, and the summers shorter. I figured if those varieties grew for them...

Although, I have also read that the biggest problem for hardy roses in winter is frequent freeze/thaw, especially for grafted varieties. We have been having too many of those "wintery mix" days. Maybe that is one of my problems.

Up to now, I bought big box grafted roses on sale. At least my early learning curve wasn't expensive.

Glad that I found this site, before I did any more damage.
belladoll
San Clemente, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6421729

bayer is bad stuff, kills your earthworms and poisons the soil any comments on bannermax and compass from the rose emporium?. and please tell me about the milk and water method. Thanks
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6421757

I have used milk and water for black spot (1 cup milk, for 10 cups water). Works great, but you need to start before the black, spot does.
belladoll
San Clemente, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #6422054

thank you silverfluter!!!! I will try it. Now is a good time no black spot yet.and it is organic and inexpensive. You are very smart and your pictures are fantastic.. sincerely Brigitte
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
4:18 AM

Post #6422130

One of the prettiest climbers I ever saw was a Lady Banks Rose, a soft yellow climber. I cant seem to find them around here.

Who is a good company to order roses from?

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

April 17, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #6422887

Silver: This may be a dumb blonde question, but does it matter whether you use fat-free milk or whole milk? Is there something in the milk fat that helps or not?
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6423205

Belladoll I wish I could claim ownership of the idea.:) That would be somebody much smarter than I, I'm just very thankful it works. I'm not even smart enough to remember why it works. I have read that the fat content doesn't matter and it also doesn't matter whether is sour or not. I have some sour half and half in the fridge to use right now. That is if I ever have time.:)

Nannie, I think the Antique Rose Emporium has both Lady Banks roses and they do sell on line.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2009

Post #6425332

I read the Lady Banks only blooms once a year, but it is very hardy. People grow it climbing on trees. Chamblee's has a picture.
http://www.chambleeroses.com/xcart/product.php?productid=242&cat=0&page=1

silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6426494

There is a house here in Fredericksburg where somebody many years ago had planted a row of white and yellow Lady Banks along a fence. I think it has since been cut down, though I can imagine why anybody would do such a thing, but I remember seeing it about 1991 in bloom. It was at least as tall as the picture above. This was before I became a gardener and I didn't no what I was looking at really. I had to ask somebody at a nursery what that stuff was. There are no words that I know of that would do justice to that scene.
belladoll
San Clemente, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 18, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #6426669

Dear Silverfluter, yes I am Blonde but I did not ask that question. about the milk being fat free. But it did make me giggle, you are so nice to answer , so keep up the good work!!!!!. .
p.s. I worked in the garden all day and I notice that I do have some black spot, but I did not have time to spray either. tee hee , Belladoll
collincountytx
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6426682

Here is a link to an amazing climbing c. brunner.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2210125
littlemick
Maryville, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #6426723

Nannypb, we are almost neighbors. My son used to live in Crossville. I like to order from Chamblees and Countryside Roses in Pass Christian Miss.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6427405

Lady Banks is a beautiful rose. I see many around our area. They do bloom only once in Spring. I will never forget one Easter a yellow one was entwined with a lilac on the house across the street from church. It was such a pretty combo. I thought I should plant a purple crepe myrtle and a yellow rose that blooms all summer like the crepe myrtle--never did though. I finally got to see the huge old one in Tombstone a few years ago.

http://www.goldcoastrose.org/shared/tombstone.htm
valrita

April 18, 2009

Post #6427672

That Lady Banks just became my favorite climbing rose. Wow.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6427776

Oh, Belladoll, sorry I was confused. There are so many people here I got my posts mixed up.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

April 18, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6427922

I am the dumb blonde who posted the question about the milk, but I have learned not to assume anything. Hence the question. Thank you, Silver, for answering it.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6431816

You're absolutely right not to assume anything. And BTW I asked the very same question before I tried it. Dumb blonde here too.:)
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

April 19, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6432325

I must admit I like the idea of a non-chemical solution to my BS problem, which has already started! I have a bottle of Bayer that I am using up, almost used it all yesterday treating the roses, but have enough for about one more treatment, so when that's gone, I'm switching to the milk and water spray. How often do you spray with the milk/water solution?
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6433014

Unfortunately I spray not often enough.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6433725

Back again with two questions.

Do those of you in cold climates (zones 4-6) bury your rose climbing canes in winter? Joannabannana mentioned that John Cabot was "cane hardy" in zone 4. I assume that means the canes survive the winter without burying. I am hoping that Westerland is also "cane hardy" in zone 6. Otherwise, I will have to be careful with adjacent plantings to leave it space for overwintering. There aren't many gardeners around here. One lady has two climbing roses on trellises that she lays down for winter. She doesn't know the varieties, calls them "old red" and "old white". She and her husband go south for the winter.

What do people use for aphids? I have had to use rose dust on the growing tips when I see aphids. I clean them off with soapy water then dust. If there is an effective non-toxic treatment, I would try it.

Blackspot was a problem with one rose, which didn't survive the winter. Trimming affected leaves/canes and spraying with neems seems to keep that under control. I am trying skim milk powder and water spays this year as well. (I used about 1/4 cup skim milk powder in 2 cups water in a spray bottle.) I use neems before and after rain, milk on other days. Another list recommended spraying new roses and rooting canes with warm water. No new canes here, yet. I am checking for blackspot resistance in future varieties.

My other major pest is earwigs. They don't seem to bother the roses much. Do you do anything to prevent earwigs? Putting outdoor ant traps seems to keep them at bay as well.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6433761

I have Bayer powder/pellets as well. I plan to use them for planting any sale roses from big box stores, or roses with problems not solved by neems or rose dust. Like many people, I am trying to minimize chemical use.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6434576

Here is an earwig recipe--

l gallon of water
l/4 c ivory liquid (or any dishwashing soap)
l/2 c. cooking oil

Mix. Spray or pour over and around affected plant
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

April 20, 2009
11:28 AM

Post #6435951

Good Morning, just got my 'white iceberg climber'. Bought from a local nursery. They look great and will plant end of week to grow onto an arch. I don't know about burying canes. Seems awful hard if climber is on a fence or trellis. We do get dieying of canes in the winter here in MA.. I just wait til spring and then prune back dead canes. Any ideas for canes woven in arches or trellis??
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2009
9:25 AM

Post #6441125

Thanks for the earwig recipe! No earwigs, yet. The gnats woke up this weekend, so time to be on bug alert.
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6441564

geraldine87,
I've read canes on a trellis or arch can be protected by wrapping them in several layers of burlap, and if possible stuffing hay under the burlap. I've seen drawings and pictures illustrating this method in several rose books, but haven't found any on the Internet yet or I would post a link.

Happy Gardening!
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6443105

hi littlemick. I'm not sure if Ive ever been to Maryville but Ive heard of it. isnt it a bit southeast of Knoxville? I'll say that and THEN go look it up, LOL. I'm in Scott County. sssshhh.

seems like Martha Stewart did a show where she covered her roses in hay and burlap in the winter. not just roses either.

i'll need to find out because my new Lady Banks is not supposed to survive in my area.

milesf1
Woodstock Valley, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
9:09 AM

Post #6451104

GardenQuilt:

I'm in Zone 5b and have three Westerlands that are a year old. Have canes about 4' tall. They are unprotected in a windy spot. I'd say the top couple feet of canes did die back this year on one or two of them, but they seem to be doing great otherwise.

For aphids, I use insecticidal soap and it works great...but even better is companion planting some small flowered plants by your roses. I put some coreopsis by my Galway Bays and found a bunch of lady beetles munching on them last summer. I also read you can just blast off the aphids with water. All in all they are pretty easy to manage for me anyway...

Can't speak to earwigs...don't think I have those. I had lots of chewed leaves in the fall I assume is caterpillar damage. So I got some BT for this year to spray on stuff.

I also put an a Zephrine Drouhin last fall. I understand is a bit susceptible to black-spot. If it makes it (looks dead at the moment). I plan on doing the skim milk spray on it.

And BTW, I keep telling myself my Westerlands are a shrub, but keep getting evidence to the contrary, I think I'll have to build some teepees for them to climb on this year ;-)

Also, I have a year old dublin bay I love. Planted a Don Juan too...that also looked dead, but if I dig under the shredded leaf mulch there seems to be some sprouts coming up so I am hopeful. My New Dawn got huge in it's first year and had no cane die back. So I hope to get blooms this season. Also planted some dortmund. Got Fourth of July coming this year...oh and my Kordes Harlekin looked great last (it's first) year. Also no die back, but that and the new dawn are against a south facing wall so that is probably why.

Miles
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

April 23, 2009
11:23 AM

Post #6451267

Mhanks Miles, know you will have many roses this yr.!!
KarenB61
Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6453490

I like my cl. Awakening. It's a sport of New Dawn. Very vigorous, almost no blackspot, and lots of blooms on and off through the whole season. The only thing I don't like, is that the flowers shatter so easily.
milesf1
Woodstock Valley, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6453511

I'm hopeing! lots of time and money...let's see if it pays off ;-)

M.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 24, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #6455400

Hello everyone, I am drooling at all these gorgeous climbing roses!

We have a thread going on favorite climbing plants, and I'd like to invite all of you to share your climbing roses with us!

Here is the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/923267/

Happy gardening,

Roberta
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6462355

This Stairway to Heaven over my front arch is really my favorite today. That mini yellow is one I love but don't know it's name.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch

shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #6463427

cactus - that is so beautiful. I always have to stop in on this thread because of the stunning picture Jess has posted. My roses should be getting this size this year. The Santana from Palatines are now in their 2nd summer in my yard - they were sold out this year but I would have purchased more had I know how stunning they were.
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6465897

Beautifulchaos, how do you like your new arbor from P & H? Is it what you expected and is it of a good quality? We just ordered one 2 days ago. I had been looking at that arbor for a couple of years, but was scared away by the cost of shipping. Well, they offered free shipping for two days! Hurray!! And DH didn't even complain! :-)
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

April 26, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6466169

Taya, I can't believe I missed your New Dawn when you first posted. That is magazine-perfect!!! Your home is quite beautiful and the New Dawn only serves to accent that even further. WELL DONE!!! Thanks for sharing that gorgeous plant with us. Ev =)
milesf1
Woodstock Valley, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2009
8:16 AM

Post #6468950

I just made a spot to squeeze in two more climbing roses on either side of an arch. Had a fourth of july on order, but found out my SO hates them. So I'm switching to two Harlekins to go on either side of it. I have one by my garage and it was gorgeous last year, even thought it was it's first.

Miles
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

April 27, 2009
10:40 AM

Post #6469150

Hi HappyJack, I got an arbor from J&P and really like it. It is the 'Cathedral Arch". Can add on other Cathedral Arches to make a wider arbor. Also got the free shipping which helped.
Have a climbing white iceberg on each side and planted a perennial long blooming white bleeding heart in front of the iceberg rose. It's at the church where I do the gardening. Thought it would look nice, eventually, for brides to get their pictures there.
Sun and heat in MA, no complaints from here!!
LeslieT
Bellaire, TX

April 27, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6469778

Silverfluter,
Do not get Kathleen for your arbor! I'm sorry, but I hadn't been following this thread. I tried using this rose through a pillar and its canes are entirely too stiff to bend. It is definitely NOT flexible.

There are some rose books that describe cane flexibility with their rose descriptions. Liz Druitt in her book "The Organic Rose Garden" says that Belinda has prickly, but fairly flexible canes. Bill Adams' (my personal guru) book "The Lone Star Gardener's Book of Lists" contains a list of pillar or arbor roses which does not include either Kathleen or Belinda.

The only other climbing rose with which I've had great luck is Buff Beauty whose canes are moderately flexible while young. I have a lot of shade so Hybrid Musk roses perform well for me, but they do get huge (which is why I had to give two away). Lamarque might do well for you; it didn't like my garden (it's white). Red Cascade has very flexible canes and teeny red blooms, but blooms a lot. Your growing conditions are so different from mine that I hesitate to make suggestions.
LeslieT
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #6473254

Leslie, I remember very well what your growing conditions are like.:) I grew up in Bellaire. I graduated high school in 72 and haven't lived there since. Do you like it there?

Thanks for the names of those books. I'll write them down and look in the library for them. The gardening club here donates a ton of books to the library.

And thanks for the advice on Kathleen. I've never seen Belinda as anything but a shrub. Difficult to imagine it as a climber. I have Buff Beauty on one of the arbor posts. It has never gotten big enough that I can't reach it easily to tie it down, so it's not a problem. Red Cascade is another one I have growing on a fence. I started it from a cutting a long time ago and kept it in a pot for years. It's finally in the ground now and seems very happy.

LeslieT
Bellaire, TX

April 28, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6474269

I've lived in Bellaire since 1977 when I moved here from the Memorial area (with had totally different soil making it possible to grow things that really don't like Bellaire's "ancient seabed" soil). I've loved Bellaire since then (even if we are awash with mini-mansions).

I forgot to add that Buff Beauty has a wonderful fragrance and beautiful clusters of apricot blooms, but does take a while to establish. With your much-drier climate, you probably can grow roses that we can't because of black spot. I don't know if Climbing Souvenir de la Malmaison blooms as much as the shrub, but the shrub form is one of my all-time favorites. It smells divine, has gorgeous blooms and is almost never out of bloom. It's on the list as being suitable for pillars and arbors, but I don't really know exactly how flexible its canes truly are.
LeslieT
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6474637

I haven't been able to follow this thread a lot. But have to second what was said about not getting a climber with really stiff canes. I got Berries and Cream for a flat trellis and the canes are so stiff it was hard to train it at first. I was so glad I hadn't planted it by my arch.

I saw this lovely archway at the chapel garden where they do have weddings in Albuquerque BioPark. I think the roses are climbing Iceberg. It would be a great choice! http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltdiva/2508982148/in/set-72157605156835214/

Thumbnail by cactuspatch

silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6475741

Leslie, I didn't realize the soil was that much different in the Memorial area. I agree with you on Buff Beauty's scent. It's one of my favorites and it's finally established enough that I gets lots of flowers. It's twisted loosely around one of the posts on my arbor and it goes all the way to the top. Yay!

Souv dl Malmaison has been on my wish list for 10 years now. When I get it I will probably buy the shrub form. I'm pretty sure it's on the "stiff list".:) I wonder just what are those stiff canes climbers good for? Fences maybe. At least low fences so you can reach them often to keep them under control.

Cactuspatch, that is one awesome chapel garden!. Bet it's a busy place in the spring.:)

I found an interesting website today when I did a Google search for Natchez Noisette. I can never get this dingy machine to post a link, but if you search for that rose and then go down to where it says something about President, November 2004 meeting there is a really interesting article there. It's actually an address by the President of a Heritage Rose society or something. But she talks about when she moved to California to live in a historic home and found that she had many old roses in her yard. Some of it wasn't of interest to me, but where she talks about how her yard came alive with roses the first spring when she didn't even know she had a single rose, and how they grow in the shade and survive the deer. It all gave me hope.:) I would really like to see her yard.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6476226

silverfluter How are you trying to do your links? Do you highlight the URL, right click Copy and then right click Paste in the post? Should be fairly straight forward and certainly easier than typing up a location description. Let me know if I can help you, you can d-mail and we can see if we can pinpoint a simple solution.
greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6479199

sorry GARDEN QUILT AND EV..
ive been digging in 16 yards of mushroom compost.. rain and shine! i did a survey of our property this spring because we needed to replace the fences and found we owned 8 feet more all along the south side of our property! well 3 truck loads of compost and a lot of tilling and ive got a whole new bed to plant ...

thanks for the compliments on the rose out front .. its totally bare root and i have to rub out suckers periodically
i get my roses from chamblees in texas... the absolute best! and usually there are usually 2 or 3 plants in every pot so if you separate them ( which you should) you really get your moneys worth,
i use neem oil solution sometimes almost straight. for the JBS.. likely to work on the others as well. mix it with some dish soap to mix the oil and water..
im in zone 4 ish.. mulch and wrapping is always good i never tip my roses too much trouble.. i pile a foot of mulch and then just buy a bolt of cheap cloth or burlap and put a fet bamboo stakes i and wrap..use a stapler to get it all to stay together.. also i use wilt prufe before i do that in the fall while its still temperate..

ive given up on grafts.. and david austins.. i had great luck in nj when i lived there but its too cold here they never amount to anything

heres my current list oof sucesses.. mostly griffith bucks roses..

aunt honey blooms all seasn
earth song blooms all season
les silujin
serendipity
golden showers
hawkeye belle.. must be wrapped but well worth it
aloha... my fave!!***
golden celebration ... i only put up with this one because it continues to survive and bloom after loosing all its canes every winter no matter what i do.
this pic is a floribunda "about face".. i buried the graft about 8 inches in the ground and i mulch and wrap it .. i loose most canes but it comes back with a vengeance..
climbing iceberg..prickly and loooong canes but all summer show

greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009

Post #6479218

here aunt honeyi its first year

greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #6479248

hawkeye belle

greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6479294

aloha in its 1st year on a south wall

greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6479297

rats that wa aunt honey again.. ill try aloha

greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009

Post #6479389

that was aloha and it had been planted about 2 months earlier! i did loose some canes this winter (its third)
but its making lots of new shoots and i didnt wrap it.. it came from chamblees and was probably a few plants..
as for insecticides and fungicides.. i dontt ever use them because these roses have ZORO issues other than the JB thing.. and in years when it bad i justt cut off all the buds before the little buggers can eat them and for most of the roses i have it makes them bloom like CRAZY after i stop disbudding..
oh also good one is meillad (meidilland?sp) fire in raised stone beds .. i dont wrap these at all.
got to go .. merry spring to all!!
heres the climbing iceberg up against the weeping cherries.

greenobsessed
Champaign, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6479393

the same arbor earlier when the cherries are blooming

cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6479615

All lovely, but that last one is wonderful. Cherries in bloom are so pretty. I live just about 20 minutes from a Cherry orchard--it is up the mtn. so don't know when they bloom--but I gotta get up there with my camera. Thanks for the inspiration. Lovely arch too!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 29, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6479785

Lovely pictures all! It's still quite cold here and the roses are just starting to come to life. We have had a cold, snowy last few weeks, so I hope it changes soon. Freezing night temps should end soon...perhaps by the next full moon.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #6492207

I'm looking for a climbing rose that likes my zone, isn't too fussy and blooms all season. It's for a small arbor at the entrance to my garden. I have a Zephrine Drouhin nearby, and a red rose (I've forgotten the name!) on the other side of the arbor. It does get partial shade at times during the day.

Thumbnail by greenhouse_gal

GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6493642

Don't worry, greenobsessed. I am glad you found space for another garden bed! Thanks for the list of successful roses. I am trying Buck's honey sweet this year. Westerland is waiting for me to finish its hole. I have so many rocks here that I should have tried water lilies instead of roses! I get the hole deep enough, fill with water, and if it doesn't drain, have a rock. I may have to have another "move the rocks" bbq. I am recovering from an auto accident and need help with anything heavy.

I think I may have a newly rooted Austin wildeve rose. There is a strand a few inches long with roots along one side and leaves that look like rose leaves. I am tempted to put it in a pot, but, giving the success of my newbie seeding efforts, decided to leave it be for now. Here is a pic of the little thing.

Thumbnail by GardenQuilts

lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6493653

I love Honey Sweet! Very easy rose, and very prolific.

Thumbnail by lrwells50

geraldine87
West Warren, MA

May 2, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6493836

Hello all, am enjoying some warm weather and sun here in MA.
I planted cl. iceberg white roses on the trellis. They sound like they are very hardy. Nice to see all the great arbors...one day I will figure how to download pictures to computer and share!!
Have a great wk end all...
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

May 8, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6521319

Lets keep this going with more spring flushes!!! Love thoses climbers!!!
lily_bud
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2009
5:37 AM

Post #6525013

I love Zephirine Drouhin. It flowered all summer for me and grew like a weed. The color is fabulous.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #6525207

My Zephrine Drouhin flowers all summer, but not like the lush bloom of spring. Still, it's a gorgeous rose!
lily_bud
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6526806

I just purchased 4 Aloha for a small arbor because the pictures were gorgeous and it had great reviews. My Zephirine I will keep next to the deck because it is thornless and has such a wonderful fragrance. The Zephirine is special because it was one of my first roses. I was a little intimidated going into rose growing, but the Zephirine kept growing and actually needed to be cut back frequently to keep it from going over our 8' fence. It really got me hooked.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6527722

Hi I'm popping in to say that everyone's pictures are beautiful! I recently ordered a Portlandia from Heirloom Roses and I was hoping someone would say that was their fave. :) Hopefully it is cane hardy, it is listed a s hardy to zone 5but apparently that doesn't necessarily mean it is?
Geraldine, your Iceberg sounds like a wonderful idea, I am sure many future brides will be happy you planted that! : )
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2009
7:37 AM

Post #6528715

Spring flush is over on my Zephrine Drouhin's but they're still blooming a good bit here and there, hoping they're old enough for a good fall flush I've heard they have when they're happy and got some age on them...One of my Sombreuil's has kinda stopped or slowed down anyways, the others are still going strong...My older Lamarque's are still blooming their hearts out, though all this rain has kinda beat'em up a bit but after the drought down this way these past years I ain't complaining about rain ever again...and lastly my Madame Alfred Carrie has slowed down a good bit but the blooms that are there are mighty pretty...I got a couple of one year old Sombreuil's I'm growing up another arbor and a new Lamarque's in front of a fence that have a few blooms on both of them and even though they're small it tickles me even the few blooms they got now cause I know what's coming in the years to come...It's not the climber but I got a Souvenir de la Malmaison, I bought for my wife for our anniversary this year and its getting ready to bloom up a storm, covered in buds, I got it in a container and I walk by it every day looking at all them buds getting ready to open and I know we're in for a treat one morning soon...

Paul from Alabama

Thumbnail by PaulFromAL

davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6532077

Paul, that's a georgeous arbor, I love it! Did you find it locally? I'm definitely wanting an arbor & that's one to dream about having. :)
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2009
11:10 AM

Post #6532699

Thanks davis...I ordered it online from Target 3 years ago, its discontinued now...It was about $70 but what I really liked about it was that it was a "double" they called it, its nice and deep which is what I wanted...Some of the arbors they sell today, at least the metal arbors aren't too sturdy sometimes, the ones from the big box stores, so I was lucky to get the one I did...Now if you're willing to pay 4 or 5 hundred dollars they got some nice big aluminum ones online. My selection was somewhat limited as black and metal is the only thing I wanted. Good luck with getting yours going, I had a nice morning yesterday deadheading one of mine that is covered by 2 Sombreuil's. I love white roses on black metal.

Paul from Alabama

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 11, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #6532751

And your big green pot, I love that! Where did you find it, Paul?
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6534643

Hemophobic, I got it from these folks, Bloomin Miracles in Jacksonville, Alabama...Some of their pots are unblemished and some of them are what they call imperfect and are mended with some kind of expoxy that makes them like brand new or almost lets say...I have some of both, the green one is imperfect and I have 3 black ones, a brown one and a cobalt blue one...I gave $80 for the green one and $120 for the others...I couldn't afford to buy all the ones I wanted at one time so I've bought a couple a year for the last 3 years...I got one more I want and that's a burgundy one. They're big enough to put in the border if you know what I mean, 24 or 26 inches wide I think and pretty tall.

Paul from Alabama
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6535449

Oh...now I'm confused...I love them all and want more than I can possibly use. Lovely!!

"eyes"
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 11, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6535496

Guess I'll have to find a local supplier because I definitely want more pots. There's a couple of places not awfully far away so I'll make a trip soon. That green pot is great, though!

Angie
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6535778

I'll post a picture in a bit of the brown pot with a "Sombreuil" growing in it...I know you ain't supposed to grow such big climbers in a pot, but I had to try cause I want one growing up the corner of my back porch and there's a patio with pavers below it and it's the only way I can have one...So we'll see, but so far it's doing great, this pot is about 28 inches wide and about 23 inches tall...The area is supposed to be a "NIght" and "White Garden" but if my wife don't quit suggesting to me blue things to plant in some of the container's on the patio you're gonna need night vision glasses to see anything...:)

Paul from Alabama
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 11, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #6535804

Some of the roses in the David Austin catalog are suggested for pots. Off the top of my head, I don't remember what they were, but if you request a catalog, it's free and it's a great resource.

I have just ordered Anne Boleyn and it's supposed to be good for pot planting and I think that may be where she will go.
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6536269

Dearest Angie,

Thank you for your kind suggestion about procuring the David Austin catalog, I have it already thanks and have already learned to use it. Here's the only way I've found is safe to browse said catalog...I put it on a table in front of me on one side of the house and look at all the beautiful roses available, while my credit card that I've just finally paid off is safe inside my wallet on the other side of the house...I would hide my credit card under the mattress while I'm looking at the catalog but after all I am a responsible adult...:)

But no joke great reading and I'm going to begin with a few of his roses this fall I think...I'm kinda picking out places now for pots or roses that might fit in the border in the ground...I've always said I'm only going to grow Old Fashioned roses like Lamarques, Madame Alfred Carrie's etc. (and 'Sombreuil's but they can never decide what it is but even if it ain't old fashioned it's sure beautiful)...:)...but I might change some of my "exclusive" thinking and get a little more inclusive, like including that new white one he's got called 'Claire Austin Climbing' or that other white one that looks so nice, 'Glamis Castle'...One mustn't cut off one's nose to spite one's face or some such thing my granny used to say when I was a kid, though I don't think she was referring to not growing David Austin roses as far as I know...:)

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 12, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6536370

Sounds like some wonderful selections you've got going on there. I have my own DA list and I keep adding to it gradually. They smell so divine!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6541270

Hem, if you love ceramic pots try TUESDAY MORNINGS. I bought one yesterday that was beautiful! Only $10 bucks! It was about 2/3 the size of Paul, but it has a waffle pattern to it. I needed a large one for a Pink Frosty brug.
Teresa in KY
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 13, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6541412

Teresa: TY for the tip. TM is one of my favorite stores. I just love their wonderful cotton towels and sheets! I go crazy every time I go there. BTW, always check them out for some great gardening books. I've bought lots of excellent ones there.

Angie
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

May 13, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6541486

For pots, check out Sam's Club. They have some wonderful composite stone pots there... a variety of traditional and contemporary styles and colors. Pots exactly like what I saw at Lowe's for $59 each were going for between $8 and $17 each the other day. Really pretty ones, too.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 13, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6542437

Thanks, BG, will do that, too. I'm having a pot year.
lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6542624

Don't have too many climbing roses, so I guess Westerland is my favorite

Thumbnail by lrwells50

lrwells50
(Lynn) Paris, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6542627

And close up

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6544259

When I lived in NJ I had really good success with ZD and Henry Kelsey. New Dawn http://www.rosefile.com/Gallery/aClimbersStandards/pages/NewDawnLattice_jpg.htm & Cadenza were trouble-free but not so free with flowers. Autumn Sunset worked well once I moved it out of the shade. Blaze was a complete write-off. It reached four feet tall after six years. Every year I wished it would die. Don Juan perished quickly from blackspot. Celine Forestier survived a few years, and looked good. I was surprised at the cold-hardiness of the plant. I kept losing Sombreuil to frost. Ghislaine de Feligonde http://www.rosefile.com/Gallery/aClimbersStandards/pages/Ghislaine4153_jpg.htm grew as a nice 5 ft shrub while Goldfinch attempted to swallow the garden whole.

I think the climbers that pleased me most were City of York http://www.rosefile.com/Gallery/aClimbersStandards/pages/CityofYorkHzCOL_jpg.htm and Felicite et Perpetue. http://www.rosefile.com/Gallery/aClimbersStandards/pages/FeliciteEtPerpetue4171_jpg.htm They both bloomed once a year but they looked awesome in bloom. They both looked really good out of bloom, too. And they were the very models of perfect health under the most punishing conditions ( poor soil, drought, Japanese beetle invasions, my own failure to care for them.)

I saw Dream Weaver in the local park - an AARS trial ground - and it never had more than two blossoms on it. It was quickly whisked away at the end of its trial period. Sympathie http://www.rosefile.com/Gallery/aClimbersStandards/pages/SympathieAtDusk_jpg.htm and Ilse Krohn Superior http://www.rosefile.com/Gallery/aClimbersStandards/pages/IlseKrohnSuper3984_jpg.htm both looked good there. And I was always in awe at the number of flowers John Davis and John Cabot would put out.

This message was edited May 13, 2009 7:36 PM

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6545802

Great links Steve but you need to remove the dots...from the last 2 so they work, at least I think you do since the others also have them but still work.
I always forget about rosefile.com, we use HMF so much here.

This message was edited May 13, 2009 7:29 PM
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6545837

Thanks Sue. Hope that works better.
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

May 14, 2009
11:20 AM

Post #6546744

Irswells, your rose is just 'beautiful' thanks for sharring!!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 14, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6546833

Steve: Are Ghislaine de Feligonde, City of York and Felicite et Perpetue fragrant? I must have fragrant roses, but want to add some more climbers. I love these three.

BTW, Sue, my links worked fine.

Angie

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6546874

I've never noticed a fragrance with Ghislaine de Feligonde, but it's very pretty in the spring.

Sorry to hear what Steve says about Dreamweaver; I just ordered it from Wayside Gardens because of everything I'd read about it here!
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

May 14, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6546886

Im also considering Dream Weaver for a arbor so I hope it is a good rose here in pa!!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6547076

Maybe it just doesn't like hot, dry weather? Here's hoping!
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6548036

Angie,
I love fragrance, too. I don't actually recall any notable fragrance to any of those. Certainly none is a world-class smeller like, say, Sombreuil. Sadly, the fragrant teas and noisettes were too tender for NJ.

(None of the several places I've looked suggest Ghislaine de Feligonde is fragrant. Most multifloras aren't. Peter Beales says Felicite et Perpetue is fragrant of musk; David Austin says it has the delicate scent of primrose. Mark of Excellence roses claim it has strong fragrance. Beales says City of York is "Lightly Scented")

In NC, I think a noisette or tea noisette (at Vintage Gardens Roses) might work well. Or, if you want a rambler you might consider The Garland, Jersey Beauty, or Auguste Gervais.

Jess,
I forgot to mention that the Dream Weaver growing in NJ may not have been getting enough light. Perhaps yours will do well if it gets a full 8 or 10 hours of direct, unfiltered sunlight.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6548627

It will probably get close to that. Fingers crossed...!
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6549146

My two lovely Dreamweavers get full sun and our air is very dry. They seem to love it, but not much fragrance.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6549516

Wow, cactuspatch, those are just gorgeous! Thanks for the photo! We tend to be humid here, and it will get a bit of late afternoon shade but not much, so I'll see how it does for me - if it ever arrives!
midwest_tyro
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6549973

Amazing, cactus! It's hard to believe it's just two!
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #6550003

I was considering dreamweaver, but couldn't find it on its own roots. I have much better luck with own root roses. Instead, I got Westerland and William Baffin. The stores are starting to have sales, but I am the odd lady checking the roots before I buy anything

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2009
10:12 AM

Post #6551068

I didn't even look to see whether Wayside's Dreamweaver was own root. Since I've already ordered it I guess I'll just have to wait and see whether whichever it is works here.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2009
11:09 AM

Post #6551149

It is grafted. I emailed them and asked. Here is a list they emailed back to me, including Jackson Perkins Roses.

Here is a list of all of our own root roses:
Own Root Roses (ie. Not Grafted)

Kimberlina JP
Sweetness JP
Catalina JP
Aromatherapy JP
April in Paris JP
Pope John Paul II JP
Lady Bird JP
Spellbound JP
Beloved- Also offered in WG and JP
Tuscan Sun JP
Honey Perfume JP
Simply Marvelous JP
Black Cherry JP
Enchanted Evening JP
Iceberg- Also offered in WG and JP
Hot Cocoa JP
Mardi Gras JP
Light My Fire JP
Falstaff JP
Crown Princess Margareta JP
Jubilee Celebration JP
Christopher Marlowe JP
Golden Celebration JP
Abraham Darby JP
Sally Holmes JP
Scent From Above JP
Social Climber JP

The Floribunda Iceberg rose is on its own roots, but the Climbing Iceberg and the Burgundy Iceberg are grafted.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6551214

Thanks, Garden Quilt. When I first started buying roses I got all own-root, but it's been a long time since I've looked for any and I forgot about that distinction. I have a small arbor that I wanted a continuously flowering climber for, and Dream Weaver sounded good. So we'll see.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6552420

That photo I last posted is of just ONE dreamweaver. I think we planted them in 2003 or 2004. http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltdiva/2931903207/in/set-72157610962910928/ that photo kind of shows the two, I need a wider angle to get them both in. Anyhow it is a delightful climber to cover a wall.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6552584

GreenhouseGirl, I hope your dreamweaver is as pretty as the pictures! I love the color and blooms and was sorely tempted to get one. I thought I would wait and see how it does in colder climates, first. If I got another grafted rose, I would try digging it 6-8" under the surface. Your climate is probably a bit milder than mine in PA. (Although I am minutes from NJ)

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6553076

GardenQuilts, we're near the coast and on a river, so we're a bit milder than other parts of NJ. Good tip to dig it in 6-8" under the surface; that's to avoid frost damage, I take it, and make sure that what comes up is the graft and not the root?

The rose came today and I have it soaking right now. I'll plant it tomorrow. What kind of fertilizer would you put in the hole? It's been awhile!

Leslie
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6553738

The rose people told me just amend the hole with peat moss and compost or aged manure. They also said not to use chemical fertilizers until it is well established. I have heard people putting an egg with new roses. My grandmother used to put a fish head in the hole of any new plant. (She was Norwegian and my grandfather liked to go deep sea fishing.) I think Wayside and J&P have instructions on their website specific to their plants.
PaulFromAL
Piedmont, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6553934

I got robins nests in every climber I got, do you folks get a lot of nests in yours?...I was thinking maybe they like the thorns for protection from predators but that's just a guess...anyways some of them have already fledged and left the nests but some are full of baby birds and one nest has been used twice already this year as the first eggs fell out of the nest for some reason but the mother has more now and is sitting on them (least ways I think she's the same mother, a robin never the less)
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

May 18, 2009
1:18 PM

Post #6564265

I just bought two Dream Weaver's from our local garden center. I am placing them on a white swing arbor I have.. From the pictures here they seem to grown fairly quickly.. Can not wait to see it bloom!! I have Blaze down the yard further and love that one's rebloom also..

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6564583

how about a new thread for slow dial-uppers?
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6583449

Cactuspatch: That is a beautiful shot! What a difference four extra hours a day of bright sunlight will make.

Leslie: When I planted roses in NJ in mid may, I lost more than half of them to dry weather. ( I found mid April to be a little better..) You may want to consider watering it every day through the heat of August. If you fertilize, I would recommend either Mills Magic or some other organic type that breaks down slowly. If you cannot find organic, choose a slow-release type like Osmocote.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6583558

Thanks, Steve. I've been keeping it wet but I'll look into some fertilizer, too. What's Mills Magic?
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6649714

Mills Magic rose Mix - http://www.millsmix.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59&products_id=122

Being made from whole sources, it breaks down slowly. Roses like it. But if you have lots of roses and use more than about forty pounds at a time your beds will smell a of chicken poo for a week or two. Not strongly, but noticeably. If that's a problem, Osmocote slow release fertilizer is. available from AM Leonard's.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

June 12, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6678113

Yep, Steve, the beds definitely smell bad after the Mills Mix... and it drives our puppies NUTS! We always have digging problems right after we fertilize. =(
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

March 28, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8457009

My arbor to the back yard has Kathleen Harrop and Parade climbing up it. Carefree Wonder and Carefree Sunshine are on the left of the photo

Thumbnail by jess2132000

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 28, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8457485

Ooooooh, Ahhhhhh!
diamond123
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8457664

Very nice, thanks for the picture!!
epilogue1212
New Haven, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2011
12:57 AM

Post #8464235

I just ordered a ZÉPHIRINE DROUHIN for a spot in my yard. the trellis gets sun, but the ground is in shade. the New Dawn I tried there is doing poorly. Do you think the new rose will be okay there? any words of wisdom?
diamond123
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2011
3:26 AM

Post #8464314

New Dawn sometimes takes a little longer to get going. If you have a least 6 hours of sun, you should be ok. Zephy is a great rose!!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8464325

I have a large Zéphrine Drouhin climbing my garden fence. It's a beautiful rose and it doesn't seem to mind some shade. I have never gotten it to give me many blossoms throughout the season although the first flush in the spring is stunning.
dem2rd
Naugatuck, CT
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2011
7:51 AM

Post #8464721

I hope it's going to be the Chocolate Sundae that I just paid a small fortune for!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8464831

Quadra. It blooms from April into December, with very double red blooms and no disease. But I agree about Zeph, and my other favorite is Constance Spry.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8464992

jess,
OHHH I LOVE your arbor.Beautiful !!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8465151

Jess that entire display is spectacular.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2011
2:45 AM

Post #8489296

greenobsessed wrote:heres the same arbor a few years earlier

Where did you find the arbor for your garden? I am looking online, but so far, have not located it. I like the look and style, and I think a small garden can be placed in the center of it. That is more what I am looking for.
shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8489796

My husband and I made a trellis for Santana that arches and is heavy duty - rebar. We took 4 long rebar - maybe 14 feet long, easily bent them to a curve and welded the cross bars. It's hard to see but if you look to the right side you can see one leg is over the fence but the cross bars are visable. The problem with the one Santana being so far (planted) is due to a monster rock!

These are easy to do and very sturdy and very cheap in comparison to the wobbly ones at box stores.
Kathy

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8490017

That looks really nice, Kathy!
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8490085

Climbing Clothilde Soupert.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8494614

Don Juan, hands down. Luciee
connie34
lumberton, TX

April 15, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8498205

Veilchenblau rose is my favorite. My died a few years ago.. I bought it at a garage sale back in 1992 i think.. So im on a look out for another one.. :)
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8498706

Palatine and or Pickering nursery in Canada has it.I bought one and it would have bloomed really nice this year and one of my neighbors who offered to mow the little hill cut it down completely last year.It is alive but what a sad sight.All the way to the ground.
Osteole
Lamar, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2011
9:27 PM

Post #8499071

I have a Zephrine Doubhrin but no current pictures. I believe it was planted in 6 years ago, and its finally matured to my satisfaction. One year the black spots was a big problem, but I use the Bayer Advanced systemic product ever since. Apply it in spring before bloom buds start to form, again in the early summer. The blooms are starting to pop, I will get a good picture when the sun comes out. It's been stormy and overcast here for the past couple of days.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
9:50 PM

Post #8499087

Ok I will add my two sence worth. I love my Cl Josephs Coat. It came back from a gopher attack, from one main root that was alive. Now I jalapeno in a blender with Murphy's oil Soap or dish liquid all around my roses about 4 x's a year and have great success with it, but I use several large cans. Rabbits stay away too, plus I add a 1/2 cup of Amonia and it works. My problem is that I have alkaline soil and my roses bloom great in the spring in this house and the rest of the year, they struggle. Not sure why. Soil, fertilizing wrong, or too much shade on some. Really it is so hard. CLIMBERS ARE MY FAVORITE, AND ROSES # 1.

I have a blaze that does not do well here, but at my old house NI Blaze is trailing across a big fence and one up the side of my garage and over the top. I saw one that litterally climbed to the roof of a second story of a house. It was amazing. Mine never did that.

I have great luck with my Lady Banks. I have two new LB roses, they are a new color red. Mildewy though.
Here are some pix of my first year here with the Blaze, New Dawn , LB, not in bloom.

Thumbnail by hellnzn11

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8499091

Blaze

Thumbnail by hellnzn11

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011

Post #8499093

I had a climber that I planted called Dr. H Nicholas or something like that and it freakishly has two completely different varieties of roses blooming on the same rose bush. I need to take a picture of it in the summer, nobody believes me. I planted it, it is one rose bush.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8499308

hellenzn11, is it a grafted rose? An apple tree of my neighbor's did that, and it was because the understock root put out a sucker and she did not know to cut it off. This condition causes the top to not be strong. The other thing that can happen is a "sport" comes out on the main plant. This is how some new varieties are started. As to the name, is it Dr. J. H. Nichols? Luciee {;^)
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
9:06 PM

Post #8501000

Oh thanks so much. I did not know how I got it like that. I kept checking to see if I planted two together in the same hole but no, one branch two flowers. Odd but lovely. It had lasted for many years. maybe it was strong because my x would let it trail along a fence but kept it cut back.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8508471

I don't know what this is...except that it is a climbing rose. There are several on the place...various colors perhaps. How do I identify a rose bush?

Thumbnail by moxies_garden

killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8508594

That's a beautiful rose. I hope someone can ID it. I would love to have that variety.
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 13, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8560787

New Dawn is a house eater here. Golden Shower is so disappointing and currently being choked out by New Dawn and Sweet Autumn Clematis!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8560895

My Dreamweaver died; I just put in a Climbing America, and I hope it will do better!
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8561479

I had bad luck with the Cl. Amer. I like Tropicana.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2011
4:23 AM

Post #8561902

What happened to your Cl.Amer? I'm hoping mine will do well; it got good reviews on Plant Scout, I think it was.
dem2rd
Naugatuck, CT
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8563011

My Cl America is the only climber blooming yet, and it is beautiful!!! To dark today, if not raining tomorrow, I'll post pics.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8563280

That's good to hear! Thanks! My Zephrine Drouhin is just beginning to bloom, along with Buff Beauty and a couple of others.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8563378

My cl. America just dried up. When I moved here I lost a lot to gophers and poor soil. I don't know what took it. It gave up the ghost fast.

My roses are starting to go, one by one. My Blazes are going pretty strong. Million buds.
I had a late freeze when my Lady Banks was almost going to bloom so I don't have many buds this year. Probably the freeze and it is a single bloomer. WAAAA!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8563653

Maybe the gophers or something else got it. I'm pretty sure my Dreamweaver needed more sun than its location afforded; it just never did well.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8564540

Gophers do the work of the devil I think>lol Where is a gopher snake when you need one.
darkeyes1023
Hazelcrest, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8567729

i have 2 blaze they have at least 16 buds on each stem. they are in pots and i kept them overwintered in the garage. they will ge the show stoppers this year! they have already climbed halfway up the railing fo my house which goes to the roof. I can't wait!
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8568298

Mine too. This year they got moved to a better spot and are getting more water, so they are going apes.
Rebeccatowoc
Stewart, TN

May 22, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8579886

It is presumptuous of me to post to this thread because I only have ONE climber. This is St. Swithin's from David Austin. I was just so thrilled that it would grow here - hey, now I have a rose! If I had been sensible, I would have quit trying several roses back. Poor things. I did finally put it on a nice, strong trellis, and it is on a slight slope so the amended clay soil does drain reasonably, and I used that expensive rose care stuff on it - but even so, I think it is the quality of the plant that prevailed, and I am stupefied with joy whenever I look at it. It is only two years old. Last year there were just a few blooms. It only bloomed a couple of weeks this year and is already slightly past its prime - but I have great hopes for next year!

Thumbnail by Rebeccatowoc

bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8580181

I love my blaze. It is covered in buds right now and should be spectacular in a week if the sun ever comes out. I also just love my New Dawn on the arbor but there is something about Blaze that just wows me.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8580205

Congrats on the rose, Rebecca. My first survivor was a light pink Austin rose also. If you research rose varieties and vendors, you will probably find other roses that survive in your area/climate.I read about them here on helpmefind.com and other places.

If we were "sensible" we would be on the vegetable forum. Roses are a passion.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8580233

GardenQuilts you're so right. I am a collector and my gardens are always "cottage" in nature except the two rose gardens. I have roses mixed in everywhere else but my pink rose garden and my front Austin Garden are the passion and the show stoppers. There is just something about roses.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8580831

I agree I was at my old house where my x still lives picking up my son, for his birthday. (he is 22) and was admiring my old roses. I feel like digging them up. lol

I had a couple of cabbage roses and I love the shape of them. My Dr. J. H. Nichols has very full pink roses and these dark red ugly kind like a Rugosa rose too on the same plant. The one I talked about. I could not remember what colors they were.

I try to propagate from cutting and recently had good success for the first time, so I may go over and try to do it with my cute English roses. I love antique roses. Thank God I am on a well. When the water company buys us out, I'll be hosed. I need all xeric plants, but I love my roses so much. I'll cross that bridge, as they say...
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8584102

My roses just started blooming two days ago. I was standing in the rain looking at them. I had Winston the pug with me on a leash, so I didn't look too crazy. He is sulking today because it is still raining.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8585241

As long as you are not having tornadoes.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8595716

Don Juan is my favorite climber. The blooms are beautiful and smell so good!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8613580

I am a Don Juan fan too. Deep velvety red on long stems and a delightful fragrance. It is slow getting started but after 2 years it really picks up speed and well worth the wait.
My second favorite is Oklahoma. I planted it below a railing on the back porch of a cemetery office. It overlooks a large section of the cemetery. It is very floriferous and the blooms are large. A wonderful peach.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

diamond123
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8614065

A once bloomer, City of York a three year old climber. My favorite this week

Thumbnail by diamond123

diamond123
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8614070

Another shot

Thumbnail by diamond123

diamond123
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8614098

Don Juan

Thumbnail by diamond123

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
8:42 PM

Post #8614310

I haven't stopped by the rose forum in awhile, but the climber thread caught my attention. I have a rose, technically not a climber, but a rambler, that is wonderful and easy. Too bad it's a once bloomer, May Queen

Thumbnail by venu209

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8614321

Another that has done very well and does rebloom is Bantry Bay. This is the top of the trellis.

Thumbnail by venu209

diamond123
Toledo, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8614787

Very nice! looks very healthy. I consider a once blooming rambler a climbing rose. If it looks like a rose, smells like a rose it must be a rose! lol
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8614790

lol...I agree!
Rebeccatowoc
Stewart, TN

June 7, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8615051

What a gallery - they are all so beautiful! At DG you can stop and smell the roses every day.
jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

June 17, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8635812

Here is one more Dream Weaver and Gold Flame Honey Suckle

Thumbnail by jess2132000

jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

June 17, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8635819

I like Golden Celebration as well climbing our shed.

Thumbnail by jess2132000

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8636112

OMG I am always so exited to see your pictures :-) GREAT combination.
Unbelievable how just 1-2 zones make a difference,mine are just about to bloom.
Rebeccatowoc
Stewart, TN

June 17, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8636136

Eglantyne, I bet Maine has beautiful summers, right? By any chance, have you ever been to the Isle of Shoals? I have an oil painting of that place.

Your post led to a fascinating experience for me. The name "Eglantyne" rang a bell but I couldn't quite remember the source, so I looked up "eglantine" and found "sweetbriar." The word "eglantine" in an early form was first used in the 14th century! The website where I was looking, run by the Merriam-Webster dictionary people, asked me why I was looking up the word. They apparently still keep track of the way in which words are used and and how language develops, a comforting concept in these days of future shock. So I told them I saw your name on DavesGarden, and that you grow roses in Maine. We are documenting six centuries of loving roses . . . and still heading confidently into the future. As Faulkner said, "Mankind will not only survive, he will prevail." Thank you, Eglantyne.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

June 17, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8636640

Hello - I live in Oregon and hang out in the PNW forum, nut I have a climbing rose question. I planted two Jackson and Perkins climbing one two years ago, and they are blooming and look healthy, but the color of the roses fades soon after blooming. Am I doing something wrong?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

June 17, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8636845

I doubt it. Many roses change color as the bloom ages. Some get paler, some get darker. The effect can be quite interesting, but I don't think there is anything you can do about it except select a different rose next time.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8637512

I love my blue boy because it stays the same always. I have some I dislike the color change in, just like my hollyhocks. They do that too sometimes.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

June 18, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8638161

Thanks for the input! I have never grown roses before, and none of the info sources I read said anything about fading. I will just sit back and enjoy them as they are!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8638273

Rebecca,I'll answer...someone is at our door...

Portland1
Try this site which gives you an abundance of rose information
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8638928

I saw a honeysuckle looking like your goldflame honeysuckle growing on a fence. I am trying to root some cuttings so that I can grow a pink rose/goldflame honeysuckle combo. I have a baby Dawn. I may try them together. They will have to be in a protected pot this year.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8639027

I love my Blaze but mine is a once bloomer. She is in her glory right now and cars slow down to see her. I grow clematis through for extended color throughout the season.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8639049

jess, your golden celebration looks wonderful! Mine has blackspot. I got behind schedule with spraying due to the rain.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8645912

Here's a single bloom on cl. Sunrise. It blooms both in clusters and single stemmed. Great fragrance, too.
CalifSue introduced me to this rose and I love it.

Thumbnail by JasperDale

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2011
11:20 PM

Post #8646178

Whoo Hooo Mike! Aren't all those colors fabulous! I left mine behind in my last garden but bought a new one in Jan., it's still in a pot but gave me it's first bloom last week.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

jess2132000
Harleysville, PA

June 26, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8655212

My parade and Kathleen Harrop on the arbor now have BS bad. I was not up on my spraying either. Wish they looked like this now. :(
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8655431

Hey Jess, Zepherine Droughin, of which the beautiful Kathleen is a sport, gets blackspot from uneven watering. If you pick a date every week to water, it will pump out new leaves and the blackspotting will be reduced.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8655436

I have trouble choosing just one.

Constance Spry, which I grow as a shrub, and it only blooms once.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8655439

But look at the flowers! And the scent is heavenly.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8655444

Quadra, which starts in April and blooms into December. I suspect it has the same vigor as Blaze has, the beautiful rose that started this thread.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8656938

I have a really profuse bloomer called Cl Jacob's ladder. It is a hybrid from Joseph's coat and something else.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8666180

Humidity here makes it hard for roses period, but Seven Sisters is doing well, as is my Westerland. It took a bit to get Westerland going, but it is beautiful now. I'm planting a Zephrine Drouhin this weekend. I also love my little Work of Art Cl. miniature.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 1, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8666539

You will be very happy with Zeph. It seems to take about three years to really get with the program because it produces so much foliage, but it's worth the wait. Another beautiful climber that I grow as a shrub.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8667679

ZD is one my favorites ,just love everything about it.My son Christian bought me one as a Mother's Day gift 3 years ago and it still is not doing a lot but I have other's planted with it so they intermingle.Love the contrast of the different colored blossoms.
Never thought of growing it as a bush.It really looks lovely Donna.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2011
2:43 AM

Post #8669102

Does ZD bloom continuously or is it a one-timer?

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8669144

At my house Zephrine Drouhin has a good flush of blossoms in the spring and then puts out occasional blooms sporadically all summer. It might do better if I fed it regularly, though.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2011
4:31 AM

Post #8669159

Mine blooms repeatedly in quite nice flushes but I definitely feed it. I give all my roses Rose Tone or Magic Mills Mix plus Osmocote (the three month kind) when I uncover them in April. The Osmocote does not "kick in" until temperatures here reach 70 degrees or so. Then they get more RT right after the first flush and monthly thereafter. So it basically has a constant available food supply.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8669182

Okay, that's good to know, Donna. Thanks. I'd better get out my Rose Tone!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8669190

Zeph will love you for it!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8670070

Isit true that they will take some shade? If so, How much?

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8673235

That's one reason that I chose it, because it is supposed to tolerate some shade.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8673345

Thanks

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8674991

any hope of a new thread for us slow-dial-uppers? We may not be able to read this one at all if many more posts are added -

thanking y'all in advance,
karen
new thread
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 5, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8675072

I vote for a new thread too.
deann
Au Gres, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8689588

Did anyone mention New Dawn. I love the soft soft pink of this delicate rose.

Deann

Thumbnail by deann

GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8689842

I am the lucky recipient of a baby new Dawn from the MidAtlantic plant swap/BBQ. It was tiny - a threadlike stem with two sets of leaves. It is growing quickly. I am going to have it in a big pot with honeysuckle if I can get some to root. There is a goldflame-like honeysuckle growing nearby. I am trying to get them to grow together.

I also have William Baffin growing with the clematis rubromargareta (?sp). They haven't bloomed at the same time, yet, but both are young plants. Baffin has already sent canes above the trellis and rubro reaches the overhang of the roof. Both are reputed to be hardy, so I expect they will be good companions. Time will tell.

More rain today. Blackspot weather.
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8689984

Please join us on the new thread here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194856/
dayflower
Gonzales, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9048553

Have any of you ever heard of a "Peggy Martin" Rose? it is a climber and a fast grower, has very few and small thorns. It lived under water for 2 weeks in New Orleans when Katrina flooded N.O. and from that rose cuttings were made and funds raised to help with the restriation of the N.O. botinical gardens. It is a beauty, and very easy to grow.

Thumbnail by dayflower

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 19, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9048719

Yes, I have her - but mine's a bit smaller...
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9048774

Hey guys, there is a new thread. Dayflower and porkpal, please post your entries there. I wouldn't want people to miss them.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1194856/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America