Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Deepest Regards and Alter Flowers

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 46, Views: 253
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 2, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #5957838

Now, I know we all have sad occassions, but alter flowers to grave blankets each serve many purposes in the celebration of life both at weddings and funerals. Many of us hold to tradition in adourning graves of our lost loves and heros of war. And of course what is the wedding without those huge lovely flower bouquets blessing the alter in beauty.

This thread is in honor of tradition. If you make them, show them, they are so beautiful, how can we overlook them?

I will start with a small one, please join me in yours. Share how you made them and if you feel you want to share who they were for, that is up to you.

This is a memorial bouquet that I made in honour of my Fathers passing. It is a shelf sitter that I have kept for many many years with his photo in his memory and as he was a military man, the American flag is present in his bouquet. It is actually a smaller version of the huge alter bouquets made on the same design but in silk and of course in the traditonal red, white and blue nation colors.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Click the image for an enlarged view.

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 2, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #5958247

Hi Blossom, over the years, I've made a few silk arrangements for the grave, but haven't taken the time to take pictures. This past November for All Souls Day, I cheated and bought already made silk bouquets at Hobby Lobby. It was pretty but not special or one of a kind because I didn't take the time to make it. I think what you made is very special. The American flag is a beautiful symbol of his years of service. Thank you for sharing.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #5958430

Thanks. I actually did quite a few last year for a friend who does decorations for her service comrades. Will be doing more this year and she made a request for nosegays and hopefully I will get some made for her for Memorial day.

My Dads bouquet is in old antiquey looking flowers. They are rather dark, but at the time it is what I could find and so it goes!

I did not take any pics of those previously made either. Most were simple grave bouquets in the tall vase cups that have the spike you poke in the ground. Similiar to the ones you get at the store, but much fuller! I have a couple other sympathy baskets I made too that I gave away and needless to say no pics, but may have a couple more yet in storage that might be able to bring out.

I specialize in silks and dried combos. I do not have access to work with much fresh until the garden blooms, then I specialize in growing daylilys in my weed patch which obviously are not good cut flowers due to their short shelf life. But do have other perennials too. I would so love to work with more fresh, but I do not have my own florist shop. So I have no access to refrigerators for keeping them. So I do the next best with silks and drys. Keeps me busy in the winter!

That one you have on the wedding forum, that huge alter beautiful arrangement is awesome. Maybe you can bring that one here too and do an oncor show of it!!! It truly is a celebration of life in that bouquet! Tell us your secrets in construction!

In making Dads, I had to fill the container with small rocks because the bouquet was actually so top heavy even for a smaller version of it's size it would tip over. The container is papermache and I stuck the florist foam in it then put the rocks around and on top of the foal after poking in the flowers to weight it and top it. It is basically glads, delphiniums, mums and the filler flowers. Putting in the taller flowers first than the forefront flowers and the filler, bow and whalah!

Bows are not my fortee! I broke down this fall and acquired a couple of those bowdabras and am itching to use them! They are each a different size and I am so hoping that will make for a prettier bow. My handmades are a tad qwueezy (sp) in my opinion!

So ok, ladies (and gents), this is not a somber occassion, let's make this a celebration of life with our deepest regards!!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 3, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #5958894

I have a picture of a wreath of fresh flowers I made for my brother in law's funeral 2 years ago. I don't think it's somber at all.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 3, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #5959448

Now that's what I am talking about!! Karma, that is stunning! You do know that a wreath is a symbol of loyalty. Your flowers truly represent that in its celebration of color and that is how it is supposed to be. Absolutely awesome! You do great works!

When you picked your colors and material did they represent something special to your BIL? In Victorian times certain flowers had a certain message within its bouquet! Many florists still design by those special flowers in their old traditional meaning.

For example, a white rose represents purity.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #5976377

Blossom, those colors didn't represent him in any way. He was into orchids and we made him 2 stands in orchids. My florist friend made those for him. In my culture, purple is the color of sadness, but we didn't make anything in purple, because like you said, it should be a celebration of life. We however sacrificed tradition in doing so.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 7, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #5976559

Well they are truly awesome regardless if you go by the tradition or otherwise, be they favorites of yours, theirs or of olden days!!

But, no, what I was refering was the flower code the Victorians had in years gone by. They would send their loves messages in the type of flowers they gave to them. Somewhere I have a list to as to what those were, but I am afraid that is another topic!

I love your colors and choice of flowers ! So beautiful and passionate as well!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 7, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #5977644

Beautiful and respectful, thanks for sharing.
I made this posy pad for one of my elderly neighbours. All the flowers were from his garden, he loved his garden and tended to his dahlia's every year.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 6:16 PM

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 6:24 PM

Thumbnail by terriculture

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #5980612

Terri, that is gorgeous! The colors are wonderful together. I would have loved to hang that on my door. What did he do with it?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #5981904

and also, how did you go about making it???? it is lovely.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 9, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #5985746

Thanks Karma and Dianne.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear, my neighbour passed away and some of the others neighbours asked me to make something using the flowers from his garden for his funeral.
I used a posy pad which is a ready made container with oasis in it. The flowers were all cut short and arranged in blocks of colour and texture. The conifer around the edges came from another neighbours garden.
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #5988291

I'm sorry about your neighbor, Terri. From the looks of your posy, his garden must have been beautiful. What a beautiful and meaningful gesture.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 13, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6002102

Thanks Karma, his garden was very cottage garden style, he didn't mind the weeds sharing the earth with the flowers! We all miss him.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6006150

Oh Terry, how lovely. And he sounds like he was a great naturalist and gardener. I adore cotttage gardens!

Looks like I just unearthed a bit of "trouble" here. Found the makings for a sympathy bouquet while doing a wee bit of house keeping. Perhaps the collection in this box will be something I can work on to take my winter blues away. Might be a bit before I even get to it though...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6025458

A dear friend of mine, her aunt passed away this weekend...I am wanting to send her flowers to plant at the grave site. We are trying to think of approriate plants to put by the headstone...
So far we have thought of peonies, yuccas, lily of the valley, daylilies...these seem to be typical in many cemetaries around here.

Maybe someone else has other suggestons...

Since my specialy is silk arrangements, I also plan to send my friend a silk wreath also for the fall. (I think so many of us like to send bouquets at the funeral and we sometimes overlook the visitations later. So I am also off to the craft room to begin her special rememberance.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 22, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6035790

Sorry to hear about your friends Aunt. I don't know if you can grow 'forget me nots' in your area, they always make a lovely show every year.
Ohh a crafts room! how fabulous, wish I had a spare room in the house for crafty stuff!
Looking forward to seeing your special rememberance wreath.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6036117

Hi Terri... lol! crafts room... some how the sparebedroom here turned into a craft room, then it turned into a closet...I just cannot figure out where my work bench went too!! I must refrain from shopping on ebay for silks and supplies for a bit before my other bedroom turned office gets lost!

Ahh yes, forget me knots would be a classic. I was also thinking on the lines of tulips and daffs. They could be planted in the grass area of the gravesite and yet be mowed later for maintainance. We are still looking into the rules of the cemetary for our hope of future plantings. Most cemetaries want it these days pretty much mow and go...no pruning and cleanup of other kinds unless permission granted or the family does it.

Ahhh.. hostas!! they would be good ones too!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6229379

Well, finally getting around to posting here again. I have acquired some requests.

This one is not for anyone in particular yet and was just practicing and not quite finished. I am debating as to if I should put the tall flowers in for the fan yet or not and want to antique the pot a bit more. I dont have any stock for the fan so that can hold off until later unless it is wanted without..

I have a young man at our church who was in a horrible accident and would like to do something for him and his family and another lady who has requested me to make her some bouquets for the military rememberances of hers and new friend who has requested I make her a bouquet or wreath to give to a cancer patient or cancer clinic. So looks like I have my request work cut out for me and just need the materials.

I really do not know where to start just yet as supplies have been ordered and Im waiting on them.

I think I will finish antiqueing the pot on the one in the pic. Originally I was going to just give it a partially marbled look, but decided to go for more and then clear my bench for the next project.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
6:12 AM

Post #6288709

ok...whaaats in the box...? Oh, two boxes! I just received two huge glorious boxes from a new bud of mine. Pat sent me these floral supplies and I am to make her a wreath or bouquet to give to a special cancer patient.

I am going to be here a bit unpacking things.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
6:17 AM

Post #6288713

ok, break time.. going back to the cafe!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953565/

I just got the parcels unpacked, resorted and need to put on a thinking cap of what to make...

Pat sent me a huge pile of Christmas theme picks and long stems, some spring theme and fall so I have some picking to do here through all these glorious supplies and to make her something nice.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6289509

I have decided to make a Christmas wreath of some of the stuff Pat sent me.. it will have blue poinsettas, maybe some white springs and silver. It will be going to the family of our friends whose boy is in the hospital now suffering from a horrible auto accident.

Im still pondering on the wreath I need to make for Pats cancer patient...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6291020

I needed to make a few bow picks...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953887/#new

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6291049

Well, here is what I came up with ... this wreath is for Brian. I know its a Christmas theme. It will be a while before it is presented to his family and we are not sure if Brian will even survive the next few weeks, yet alone Christmas, but it gives us hope that he will and maybe a miracle will happen.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6291059

When I return I will be making something chearful for Pats cancer patient.

Hmmmm .. think pink?!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6295634

Well, I select the supplies out of what Pat sent me so I hope what I come up with is to her liking. I have had to add on a few of my own because I just did not have enough of the right colors in what she sent and oops, forgot, we need some greens to go in thisone...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 20, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #6295832

Beautiful Wreath Blossom, great work.

You pink collection looks interesting, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6295993

Thanks Terri, Pat liked it too. I think what I would like to add yet to that blue one is a picture frame. Perhaps the family as a small portrait of Brian that they could add into it later when we are ready to give it to him.

Still working on the pink. I am not happy with the ribbon I have found and since I am thinking to incorporate it like a swag deal.. I need better.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2009 2:43 PM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6303518

Well, I had a-hem a time with this one. I am only so so pleased on it... but here it is.. the Pink! All I can say is I hope she is pleased with it. I dont kow what else to do with it!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6304662

Holy cow! Pat was more than pleased with it! She said it was awesome! And that I made her smile!

*blush*!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6345434

Ok, had another wreath to do today.. this one is Christmas...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6345447

Done or nearly? I am debating on to add anything more...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6345903

Or maybe take somethnig off.. drat the color in the pic above is horrible! It is a lusterous gold, metalic greens and metalic red. The color in that pic is all washd out.. ugh. There is no silver in it, it is all gold! Must take better photo.

Aaaah... much better for the color...hmmm.. looking better already!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 31, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6345942

Nice wreath Blossom, maybe a little more red?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6345963

I was thinking that now that I am looking at it.. will have to look in the box see what I can add.. either that or remove the red...I am shy on red metalic materials today.. will have to hunt.

If I cannot find the red, its snip snip snip on the ones in there.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6346098

Ok, got lucky found some red shiny balls!

I think the red wins. Hmm done?

Here is what I am adding...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6346118

This is a close up of the initial 3 red ornaments I installed earlier.. they are apples..

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6346139

The gold flowers are poinsettas...

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6346167

and I think.. .that wil do it.

Thought of adding abow, but, I am thinking more on this wreath that it can go bowless?

Well.. maybe...maybe not...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 31, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6346201

Oh yes, thats looks great! much more balanced, I don't think it needs a bow!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6346289

Sure sure, after I cut some gold wire ribbons just to go mess with that dang bow thingee! LOL!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953887/

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6346459

Ok, here is the bow...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 31, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6346529

Go on ! put it on, lets have a look see!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6346554

Whalah... or not?

(I cannot tell you how hard this wreath was to photograph! The glitter and the slightest of hand and it is blurred. This is as good as I get!)

I must need chocolate!! LOL!
Sshake...
shake...

shake!
Off to the cafe!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 31, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6346697

I dunno, ... think it's a bit bottom heavy with the bow, but thats just what I think, I'm NO bow expert LoL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6346958

Maybe I got it hung upsidown? LOL! Owell. I am pretty much done messing with it. The bow can always be removed!

Next project... so where we going with those paper fluers of yern?

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 1, 2009
7:55 AM

Post #6487518

Every ANZAC Day wreaths are laid at War Memorials all over NZ & Australia.
These are some from The Papanui RSA...
http://s631.photobucket.com/albums/uu31/PapanuiRSA/ANZAC Day 2009/

Thumbnail by dalfyre

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6488622

Thanks for coming dalfrye! Look forward to more and will visit your link too!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America