Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Charm of Burnet: burnet

Communities > Forums > Article: The Charm of Burnet
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Charm of BurnetReplies: 5, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 3, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #5961282

In the link below, burnet was sown in English pastures. Perhaps a bit different type?

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/lamin/lamin5.html
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

January 3, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #5961736

I expect it was common burnet, S. officinalis, as that one grows in wild damp meadows in Europe.
LH1
Lincoln, NE

March 5, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7606997

Thanks Todd for a great review. Excellent photos also! I was wondering about the different species (environment, invasiveness, cut flower use) and you answered my questions. S. obtusa is showing up in the plant catalogues this year, or at least I have not noticed it before. Now, how wet is wet for S. obtusa? Occasional flooding, otherwise dry or does it need periodic irrigation like a home gardener would provide for bedding plants (more or less consistently moist soil?
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2010
4:15 AM

Post #7608061

Consistently moist soil is fine. It does not need as much water as S. canadensis.
mango61
New London, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2010
4:03 AM

Post #8028226

Thanks much for this article. So timely -- I had read about burnet last week but when I went hunting for it over the weekend, I couldn't find it at the local garden centers and the staff hadn't heard of it. This article helps educate us all about a useful plant.
aguy1947
Portugal Cove-St. Ph, NL
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9190359

I have Sanguisorba tenuifolia 'alba' growing in a bed by my downhill driveway in Portugal Cove-St. Philip's (NL). I have had it for about five years now, and it is well-behaved. The foliage is interesting even if the very tall flower is not particularly showy. Grown originally from seed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Charm of Burnet Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
damp spot kathy65468 0 Jan 3, 2009 6:13 AM
Sanguisorba in the Gulf South? nolainbloom 1 Jul 2, 2012 5:05 AM
S. obtusa lortay 0 Aug 10, 2010 7:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America