Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Think Spring! Lunch & Seed Swap, Sat. February 21

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 225, Views: 1,862
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
5:10 AM

Post #5963550

Happy New Year!

Please mark your calenders for our midwinter "Think Spring!" seed swap. Last year's event at a local restaurant worked out so well that I think this year's plan will probably be quite similar.

When: Saturday, February 21

Where: Frederick, MD
Link to post with DIRECTIONS: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6075625

What: Eating Lunch and Swapping Seeds

Who: DG subscribers and their guests
(see list at bottom of post)

You may want to plan to come early so you can drop by Dutch Plant Farm. I wrote an article last year that has a lot of photos taken there, if you'd like an idea of what they are likely to have. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/769/ I'll check with them closer to the event to see if the big truck will be back from Florida by then. :-)

Edited UPDATE on Dutch Plant Farm: The Florida Truck did not make it back in time for our swap, but their midwinter sale continues. And, we get a special 10% discount tomorrow (2/21)! Clearance plants (look for the polka dot tags and get 50% off) may not be reduced further (but ask). So, when you check out, be sure to mention that you are with the Dave's Garden group. :-)

At NOON we'll meet for lunch at Chef Lin, a local Chinese buffet that's one of my favorite Frederick restaurants. I'm hoping we'll have about 20 people, as we did last year, so we can use their back room, which gives us room to set up tables for name tags, door prizes, and seed swapping. The manager was very accommodating last year, and she's happy to hear we're planning to return. Chef Lin Buffet, 417-A South Jefferson St., Frederick. 301-620-0664.

At 2 pm, we'll do a little thing and give away some door prizes. If you have something you'd like to donate as a prize, please Dmail me. Purchased items for the table should be under $5.

We'll concentrate on seed swapping from 2 to 3:30 pm or so. Of course, seeds can be swapped outside of that time, and of course anybody who doesn't want to swap seeds can just keep chatting and visiting. I don't think we all left until at least 4 last time, so plan to make a day of it if you can.

We'll set up another thread for seed chat so people can pre-arrange trades if they want. It's not necessary to make any arrangements ahead of time, but it can be useful to see what people have and what everybody's looking for.

Please figure $11 per person for lunch, including tax and a generous tip. With the other seafood on the buffet (sushi, steamed shrimp & mussels, clams/oysters on the half shell, fried fish/shrimp/scallops, and various hot dishes), I've never felt the need for the snow crab, but it's an available option for several dollars more. The buffet has everything from soups and stir-fries to fried chicken and mozzarella sticks... there's salad, fruit, and an array of desserts, including soft-serve ice cream and hot little fried doughnuts. The selection is remarkable, and even if you don't like Chinese food you'll find plenty of possibilities.

We will all be on one tab. Please bring $11 cash and give it to Betty (bseward) when you arrive. Thanks!

Swapping of plants (with potting soil or dirt) that we can't bring inside can be done in the parking lot... the best time seems to be between 1:30 and 2. I know it's not an ideal arrangement, but bear in mind this was meant to be a seed swap. :-)

I know some folks might be on tight budgets. If the cost of the meal might keep you from coming, please Dmail me, and we'll get you covered. I don't want anybody to miss out.

Please post on this thread if you're interested in coming. I'm not trying to get a definite head count ahead this far ahead, but if I'd like to get a general idea if possible of whether or not this date will work for people.

I had a blast at our seed swap last year, and I'm already excited about this year's gathering!

THINK SPRING!

:-)

list of people who think they'll be able to come
aspenthomas
avmoran
Bec_no_va & Marianne
Bluekat76 & Rick
bseward & Bertie
Buttoneer
Chantell
Critter plus 4 (Theresa, Angela, their parents Irene & Al -- gardeners, all!)
Foxnfirefly
Froggy3125
Gitagal
happy_macomb -- maybe
HollyAnnS & Ric
KC2050 ? maybe
Kubileya
Miatablu
SallyG

This message was edited Feb 21, 2009 9:15 AM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #5963694

Hi critter - count me in. Never done seeds, never been to a seed swap - can't wait to add this to my gardening 'firsts'! I'll bring seeds from the packets I've started ordering from the seed catalogs...Terri
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #5964168

I expect Ric and I will be there. I had such a great time last year. I will be bringing old seeds as I didn't do much collecting this year only a few MG and they are somewhat mixed. I plan on going back to Dutch Farm again they had such nice plants and there was something I wish I had bought last year and didn't maybe I can get them this year.
nutmegnana
Adamstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #5964287

I'll have to pass this year. February 19-23 is our family weekend at Deep Creek Lake -- been on the calendar since October and I've already paid for the house and kids have signed up to take their leave so we're a go on that. I know you will all have a great time -- Jill throws a fun swap!
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #5964604

Betty and I will both make this date. We will have a few surprises for the give-a-way and prize table. A major snow day is the only thing that would prevent us from enjoying this event on the 21st. of Feb. Thanks for the excellent lead time that helps us make arrangements to clear a several day mini vacation with this RU event in it. I really enjoyed "CHEF LIN" last year and will again.
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 4, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #5964934

Jill, So sorry I won't be able to attend. Febuary is to early in the year for us to make a long trip. I am a fair weather traveler.
Just thought I'd let you know that I saw this thread.
Chris
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #5965229

Thanks for the responses! As always, we'll miss those who can't make it, and I've learned that there's no such thing as a date that will work for everybody... I understand about winter weather, too, and I hope nobody will take chances if they're not sure about the driving conditions. I think there are already a couple of potential spring swap locations in the pre-planning stage, and I'm already looking forward to seeing people then, too!

I'm getting excited, and I'm already packaging extra seeds!

If anybody is looking for pepper seeds, I've got a co-op underway now, and I can bring your seeds to the swap rather than shipping them, so you'll save a buck or two unless you want to start them sooner. (I don't plant out peppers until the first week in June, so starting in March pretty much gives me the necessary 8 to 12 weeks.)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #5965742

Yipeeee...ummmm, that mean yes, I'll ("we'll" - I'll dmail Becky) be there!! Can't wait since I missed the fall get together. My seeds might be some older ones as well but I can share some of the recent ones I picked up at HD. Sign me up for door prize(s)...I'll dmail you with the details - then you can let me know how I can help with this - this time. Please don't take it all on yourself again. Hugs!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #5965778

LOL... I didn't take it all on myself last time... lots of folks brought goodies to share for the gift table, and going to the restaurant makes the whole affair very easy! :-)

I'm not sure what the game will be for prizes, but if we do "seed Bingo" again, I'm going to generate random cards so we don't have so many simultaneous Bingos! LOL

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #5965940

Count me in ^_^

No seeds, but I need homes for some plants - am looking for homes for some caudiciforms...think about it folks, prickly stuff needing very little care :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #5965996

Glad you can make it, Chantell & Becky!

I know this is a generous, sharing group, but I'm going to have to ask people to limit bringing plants, especially potted plants (cuttings shouldn't be a problem). We can probably get by with having a few plants on the gift table again, but trying to do a plant swap at the restaurant is just not a good idea, especially since we have to waltz them all through the dining area...

I will try to get out to DPF soon to see if there's any way we could use a table in back there for a swap, but I'm guessing they've got rules about outside plant material (pest concerns). I also thought about tacking on a winter sowing clinic at my place after the lunch and seed swap, partly to give us a location to swap some plants (plants could be dropped off in the morning), but I don't think I want to try to organize both locations.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #5967046

Good ideas - I'll be happy to leave any plants in cars if anyone wants to take some off my hands :-)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #5967116

"see if the big truck will be back from Florida by then" - tropicals???????
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #5967184

Ah, I didn't realize you were offering plants that could withstand a February parking lot. :-)

Yes, DPF sends a truck to Florida every winter and brings it back loaded with tropicals. If there's anything you're especially looking for, let me know, as sometimes they will "take requests." :-)

BTW, I'll double check prices at Chef Lin and add that info to the top of the thread... last year, it came to $10 per person, and I think their buffet charge may have increased by about a buck. I know budgets are tight now, so please don't decide not to come because of the cost... Dmail me, and we'll work it out. :-)
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #5973728

I have you covered...Have a great time! Jo

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/557555/

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 6, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #5974659

Bec: I don't even know what a caudiciform is. Might be better that way!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #5975351

Closed related to the Cauliflower...LOL
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
9:51 AM

Post #5976279

Yum -- I bet it is good steamed, with cheese sauce!!! Bec, do the prickles get stuck in your teeth?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #5979045

Wish it was closer, nuts! Hope you have fun.

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #5979159

LOL - ahem...no
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #5979851

Sorry to miss this one but hope to help get one together in this area later in the spring with Teri (Roses_R_Red). Looking forward to meeting all of you at a later date! Have a great swap! Jessica
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #5979909

I'm glad we've got a growing number of people interested in hosting and attending these sorts of events -- the more, the merrier! I'm looking forward to some future road trips. :-)

Be sure to check out my article tomorrow for some photos from last year's "Think Spring!" swap party.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2009
4:47 AM

Post #5980130

What can I possibly have better to do than go eat Chinese and glom some free seeds? Count me in. Don't know what I'll have to bring, haven't saved much atall.
I will be fighting doc over the green bean trimmings.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #5980889

Glad to see you are going, Sally...
That means I am too...Sign me up!

I don't remember---can we bring small, rooted plants to swap too?
I have some Red Epis and NBC's...and Angel Wing Begonias...and some Maya Brugs.

WHO was going to hold the plant swap and when? Was it you, Holly?
I am interested in holding a Plant Swap also one of these years. I have the perfect yard for it...all shade--big, covered Patio...lots of street parking...5 minutes off of I-95...

Thanks, G.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #5981233

Gita - how heavy is the scent on the Maya Brug??? I'm such a mooch but I thought someone had mentioned that brug having a very nice scent

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #5981280

Chantelle,

To me--ALL Brugs have a wonderful scent that they only release when dusk falls..
Some are sweet...some a bit more "spicy". In my memory--the Maya is a sweet scent.
Best one I have ever had (and lost a few years ago) was Dr. Seuss. Oh my!!!! To die for!
If you are looking for scent--find someone that has a Dr. Seuss to share.

Last year--all my Brugs, except the Rose Souvelons, did not have a serious bloom flush until end of October--and by then, the weather was getting cold. That is when I cut my Maya to pieces and dragged the Mama in my basement.

Do you remember the pictures I posted? Can't find them right now...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 8, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #5981640

Gita- happy to have you ride with me!
I think the message with bringing plants is--don't try to bring the whole garden into the restaurant. Hope for a mild day so most can stay in the vehicle. If we just have the sun, the van will be cozy for them.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #5981695

That's it, exactly, Sally. Bringing *a* potted plant for the gift table is OK, and (small!) houseplant cuttings in baggies are OK also, but we can't be bringing lots of potted plants (even small ones) into the restaurant for swapping. If the weather is sufficiently mild, of course we can do a parking lot swap.

I do think Holly and Ric were planning to host a spring plant swap, but I don't think they've picked a date. There's another potential PA swap location in the works for this spring also, I think.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #5981703

Gita, Yes Ric and I are planning on holding a Spring Swap. I will set up a seperate interest thread begining of Feb. to help pick a date, I was thinking May maybe late April. There are a few other people I know of that are also planning to have a swap and hopefully between us we will have a couple of different dates for everyone. I know how sad everyone is when they can't make the Swap date.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #5982278

Gita,
I have a few brugs now to include Dr. Seuss that RJ blessed me with - I've been rooting the cuttings I took from him when I brought him indoors - would you like them to replace the one you lost? Yes I remember your beautiful pic - how could I forget it?!? ^_^ I could also bring you a rooted cutting of Charles Grimaldi who's scent I found to be incredible!!! I'm fairly certain all of these cuttings were above the "Y" - CG for sure - so they should bloom in a reasonable amt of time for you once the weather warms. Let me know please - I'd be happy to bring you some.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #5982823

Chantelle,

Thanks for thinking of me!

Charles Grimaldi is almost identical to Dr. Seuss. The ONE difference is that the leaf edges of the CG are smooth--and the leaf edges of the Dr. Seuss are serrated.

What say we trade rooted cuttings? I will bring for you a Maya--and you can give me Dr. Seuss? All my Maya cuttings are also from above the "Y"--as are the ones I have rooting from the Rose Souvelons...A really nice, great bloomer of a Brug. Deal?

Here's Maya...The greatest thing i love about the Maya is how it changes colors as the bloom progresses.
It starts out as a tight, yellowish bud...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #5982830

Then--as it opens further--it starts to turn creamy white...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #5982837

More white as the bloom progresses...

You might remember that I always called this Brug I have "Peaches and Cream"...for obvious reasons. However--it was "diagnosed as a "Maya" from the shape of the buds by the "experts"---and I agree. So--now I will call it a Maya from now on...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #5982838

Now you can see the blooms turning a light peach color...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #5982845

And here is a close-up of when they DO turn a peach color...
Mind you--all this happens in about 4 days or so...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #5982878

Here's my Dr. Seuss in full flush in 2006!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #5982886

The hotter the Dr. gets...the more orange the blooms get...

Note the serrated edges of the leaves!

OOps! Leaves not too visible in this shot...Sorry!

This message was edited Jan 8, 2009 6:23 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #5982917

Here's a picture of the "Rose Souvelons"...Not yet fully open...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

UprightK
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #5983032

Hi, All - I would like to join you at Chef Lin's in Frederick on the 2/21 - I have been a member of DGs for about a year and would like to "branch out" ( excuse the poor pun) beyond my computer screen. Hope to see you - I don't do snow!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #5983055

It's blooms get a "puffy" appearance when fully open...
It is a reliable bloomer--flush after flush during the Summer...Roots easily...quick recovery after Winter in a dormant state in my basement...Just keeps on greening up and growing...NO transitional woes...

I used to have 2 more pink Brugs--now gone--or eliminated...
1--"Rosamond"--What a robust bloomer!
2--"ForeverMohr"--hybridized by Shirley Mohr of IA ("Brugie")--a cross of Rosemond and "Butterfly"...BIG blooms! But--late to flower in the season...Have had it for about 3-4 years now...Gave it away last fall...GONE!

I know how we all can get "obsessed" with Brugs once we first have them-----BUT then, after a few years--one gets to realize how much care and fertilizing, and watering they need. They are "pigs"--feed them anything you have--and they will reward you with some blooms...some sooner--some too late in the Season...
Then--you may get a glorious flush of bloom end of October, here--too late to just let it all be and enjoy it! By then--frost will be nipping at the plant and you will be freaking out what to do with it!!!!
I had to cut down every branch of my Maya last October--and ALL the tips were loaded with buds--that I never got to enjoy--as frosty weather was coming...Glad my cuttings are thriving under the lights i will soon need for seeds...

You have to drag them in the house for the Winter to "dormant" them over...
They need to be in BIG pots to let their roots spread--Hey! They are trees in their native habitats---just graceful annuals here...

To be honest--I have tired of them--but I cannot stop having them. If nothing else--for the "gawk factor" of people that see them...Hoooo...Hummmm...
For some reason--maybe because no one here has ever heard of Brugmansias--I just cannot let them go...so I keep plugging away and carrying them over from year to year...

Do you see the emotional struggle here????? Getting to old for all this! NOT enough space in my beds to have an interesting garden! Too many Maple-Tree roots...If I want to plant dsomething NEW---it literally means--something old has to go!
Wish I could just dig up a fresh patch somewhere and throw in a hand-full of new seeds and enjoy the flowers. NOPE! Nada!

SO! I will go to Seed Swaps and enjoy the camaraderie-----and, I will gladly share seeds I have with others----BUT--I sure do not want new seeds to plant--as I simply DO NOT have the space appropriate to do so.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #5983061

By the way--I just sent a 2 1/2lb. package of seeds to "TARogers" for his Master Gardeners annual seed exchange. If you have not seen his "Seed Request" on the Seed Trading forum--go there! Here is your chance to get rid of large, or small, or any quantities of seeds you have a lot of, and no one to share then with. It is a most worthwhile cause!

Here is the link for this Thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/909840/

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #5983181

Hi, KC 2050, practically neighbors. Go north about twelve minutes and wave Hi.
i frequent the dog park on 424 , when weather is nicer. Glad you decided to join the party! And by thw way, I drive a van so if you want to ride along with me and Gita, you'd be welcome.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #5983678

Big ole welcome KC - would love to see you at the seed swap.

Gita - I've got both CG and Dr. Seuss cuttings - I can bring you one of each I have if you'd like. I don't want to tie up Jill's "sign up" thread...so maybe dmail me if you want to do something outside of this arrangement.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #5983840

Welcome, KC!

I'll be crossing my fingers for good weather so everybody can drive safely to the swap... and if the weather is sunny/mild enough, I'm sure we'll have a parking lot plant swap too! :-)

docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #5985712

I just checked with Punxy Phil. The weather on Feb. 21, in his opinion, will be just fine. My yearly membership supporting Phil's activities guarentees me direct opinions for gardening activities. I assume he checked with his Maryland friends because he also said his buddies would not be munching the gardens of anyone who attended this RU.

When I mentioned Critter... Phil got a little confused but he got over it and settled into the long distance forcast for me. I mentioned an umbrella. His response..."no need".

There you have it...the official Phill forcast. Phil does not do this for just anyone. Cheers for Phil.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #5985867

Hooray for Phil!

I put a photo of his handsome mug as the thumbnail for my intro winter sowing article last year... so maybe I have an "in" with him, too. :-)

Let's hope he has influence with his buddies who live at the back of my yard and raid my gardens when they're not munching in the farm field... tell them they should stick to the soybeans! LOL
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #5986663

Actually Phil saw your userid. He thinks you are one who studies critters and sez he needs a shrink. He has frequent feelings that he is an adictive eater possibly with human genetics. This condition however does not affect his weather forcasting ability, in his opinion.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #5998806

Hey, Critter!! Glad to see this swap call!!! It would be great to see you and the gang again. I will definitely try to make it. At this point,the date is open.

I didn't collect any seeds from my existing plants, but I want to get some extra quantities of new seeds to swap. I got so many good ones last year's swap, and I wasn't even expecting them!! The yellow Datura from HollyAnnS was gorgeous (I had 3 plants come up) and the scrlet butterfly weed from you was stunning!! I have pictures of both, buried in the bowels of Dell's Image Expert. Sorry. I didn't try the crazy gourd seeds from docgipe after he told me how to grow them. Wasn't inclined to dig a new spot last spring. It was so wet for a while.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #5999167

It'll be great to see you again! I can see we'll have to start up a seed swap thread soon, so we can "talk seeds." :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6004640

OK, I made a "SWAP" thread for the party! Go here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/943024/

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6005002

Hey, Jill! Obviously, I am not close enough to come to this (though I'd give an arm and a leg to go!) but I followed the link over from your article.

Just thought I'd share this nifty site, that helps you make custom bingo cards. If you click on the 5 x 5 picture bingo option, you can even do one with all different kinds of flowers. And you can generate unlimited random cards, just by refreshing the screen after you print a card. I've used it in my classroom for all sorts of themes, great fun! Nice to not have lots of identical cards with a class of 24. . .

http://www.dltk-cards.com/bingo/

Hope that simplifies the game-making for you! LOL

Angie

This message was edited Jan 14, 2009 12:07 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6005150

Thanks, Angie!

VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #6007000

I'm sorry to say I can't make it, again! *boo-hoo*
That's my "work" weekend!

I'll be watching the threads, and drooling over the nice photos, and all the goodies I miss!

Karen
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6008032

We'll miss you Karen!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6008044

Aw, nuts! I don't suppose you could swap schedules with somebody... No, if you could, I'm sure you would! :-)

4+ weeks before the event, and we've already got a dozen people attending! I'd say we're off to a good start.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6008502

Ahhh Karen!! Well if you need anything picked up or dropped off you know where to find me!! Hugs!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6020806

Hey gang, count me in, too. I have been hibernating and Holly told me about this & I woke up!!!! I retired from my job at the Giant Foods Corporate Office 12/31/08 and I have been going through the greenhouse, repotting, fertilizing, dividing and anything else I can do to make the plants happy. It is starting to look so much better. I will be bringing seeds of:
Solanum mammosum (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60534/),
Black Locust (Robinia)(http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/74075/),
Cassia Marilandica,((http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53717/)
Cassia hebecarpa(http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54058/),
plants of walking iris (Neomarica gracilis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2108/) (saving one for the prize table& 1 for Jill),
Tradescantia maiden's blush,(http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/101718/),
Hawaiian Spider Plants,(http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/615784/),
Dietes iriodes (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/572/),
Red Papaya (http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/i-papaya.html), and anything else I can find in the greenhouse that there are plenty of. I am looking forward to seeing you all again & catching up on what's going on in your lives. I will have the potted plants, if I have any (one for the prize table) but I will try to wrap the roots in wet paper towel & tied up in plastic bags, so trading can be done inside. I need to save my potting soil for my acquisitions. I decided to include links so you can see what the plants & flowers look like.

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 4:34 PM

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 4:34 PM

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 4:36 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6020876

Yippee! Congrats on your retirement... sounds like you're already making the most of it!

If possible, could you just bring cuttings or bagged offsets of your plants? I'm trying not to overwhelm the folks at the restaurant with lots of pots of "dirt." :-) Of course, if we have a mild day, we can do a parking lot swap!

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6021109

Critter, my plants will be bagged. There is NO way I can bring pots. A mild day Feb 21? Oh yeah. MY coumadin says there are NO mild days until July 4. (LOL) Buttoneer.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6021316

Doc has been chatting up Punxy Phil. ;-)
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6021446

Hahahah. Tell Doc I said to bring H2O2 (Hydrogen peroxide gas). It has twice as many Oxygen molecules as O2.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6022189

Buttoneer- glad you can make it--The Hawaiian spider I got from you- just a year ago, can that be true? now has babies of its own! I grew your Cassia marilandica seeds too, have three plants. They bloomed. Was that all in one year, seed to bloom? and I also took a few Drimopsis, now have a bunch in a pot.
Maybe that was two years ago?

Just for fun I found this thread from , yes, just a year ago! talking about all the plants and seeds. We did have a lot of plants there.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/816962/

This message was edited Jan 18, 2009 10:00 PM
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6022402

I already have my order in for the weekend oxygen pack that gives me the range to be with this activity. That will keep me pumped up pretty good.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2009
6:56 AM

Post #6022755

We're looking forward to seeing you!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6023078

a- HEM. You didn't get me on the list of who's coming, yet! Or yourself either,, Jill
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6023261

?? Good grief! I did this whole big edit yesterday, and I know it went through because I was just looking at it on another screen (and aspen's post was underneath mine, so it wasn't just a preview). That's mysterious! I will go fix it... and try to remember what else I wrote... *grumble* First I'll pour a cup of coffee! :-)
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6024171

I can bring Drimopsis mucronata also, in sandwich bags. Thanks Sally for reminding me. Yes, it is entirely possible for Cassia to bloom & produce seeds the first year. You will have to continually remove the seeds unless you want it to spread. Mine are gorgeous & I just love them.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #6030796

Sallyg--thanks for the time machine link. I wanted to see that again but was too lazy to look for it. The cuttings I got from you, Buttoneer didn't root, sad to say, and the ornamental sweet potatoes from HollyAnnS--well,I left them in the water and the water evaoporated...:-( My fault.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 21, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #6030872

Let's try to talk logistics on this thread and to discuss seeds and cuttings on the "swap" thread, please. I have some OSP tubers I can mention on the other thread... :-)

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6044121

Oh Criiiiiitter, I'll be bringing a foreigner with me - my friend from Norway will be here for 2 weeks - and since I ain't leaving her at home with hubby, (he will kill me) I'm bringing her with :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6044123

Yippee! The more, the merrier. Any friend of yours... :-)

I'm hoping she speaks English, because my Norwegian is nonexistant... although I don't do badly with pantomime! LOL

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6044149

Oh yes, she speaks English with the best of them ^_^
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6044167

*whew*

I'm looking forward to meeting her!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6044374

Becky, could she bring some Norwegian seeds with her? ;-)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6044719

...or orchids...LOL Hugs!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6044883

Oh yes, orchids come to mind first thing when I think of Norway...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6044971

Now, now Jill...see I thought that as well until: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/945471/
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6045012

Oh, very cool.

*joins those lobbying Becky's friend for orchids*

LOL

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6045096

LOL - considering they are more than likely very frozen right about now and the sun just came back (Jan 21st) - me thinks asking for terrestrial orchids, not gonna get much result. We do have seeds - but, probably the same seeds as here ^_^
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6046062

Becky, I tried to call you today (4:00 p.m.) and your phone rings & rings but no you. Let me know when you are home, so I can call you. I looked at your link & the orchids from Norway are really pretty.
Froggy3125
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #6047553

Hi everyone - I am fairly new to the forum. It's a great way to 'garden' in the winter. Would love to join you at the seed swap. It'll be my first one. Looking forward to seeing and talking to lots of folks who love plants and gardening.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #6047562

Hooray! Froggy, I'm looking forward to meeting you. You're right, a party like this is a great way to "talk plants" with folks whose eyes won't glaze over when you want to chat about your cuttings or your landscape plans!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6048232

Oh the joy of not stopping every five minutes to explain yourself or think- nobody here knows what that is but me...
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #6048356

Hey folks, tulip bulbs in the fridge. The rest of the iris will be planted in moist wood shavings in a big pot & put outside in a protected area. See you 2/21/09.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #6072090

Critter, can you post directions on how to get to the DPF and Chef Lins? I have this link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,16938849000733789348&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&dq=Dutch+Plant+Farm,+Frederick,+Md&daddr=151+Baughmans+Ln,+Frederick,+MD+21702&geocode=4045281526419773012,39.418809,-77.437846&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=directions-to

But can't seem to find the streets: Jefferson & Baughmans Lane.

Thanks, Buttoneer
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6072469

I'll be adding directions to the top post in plenty of time for the swap, not to worry. :-)
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #6072532

I worry!!!!! LOLOLOLOL.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6072841

You'd worry more if I tried to post directions tonight... Nutmeg & I packed peppers all afternoon, and I'm fried!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6073173

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. LOL and on that note a good night to all.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6074308

I got lost last year even with the directions and so did the driver I was following. LOL After zigging and zagging we stumbled into the right place. I assure you the computer generated map was not up to date. Close though. Close enough for an old antiquer hunting a musty old attic on a back road was good enough in the final effort.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6074504

Boy- we went to WV a few years ago, Not far in, just up near Morgantown I think, the upper corner of a national forest, came down from Hagerstown MD. But we got off the main road and hubby said- well, they might not have all these roads on the map...One cornfield looks surprisingly like another, and cannot get your bearings.!
I used to navigate for Dad on family trips, although now I realize he knew exactly where we were going anyway. But I liked understanding the map. But they can be confusing if you have no idea of the scale of things. NOT that I'm accusing doc or his leader of being confused about the map- some people prefer one web map to another, maybe thats what they've seen, ---up to dateness.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6074769

All I did was go to Mapquest & type in the address from my home to DPF (from last year's thread) , then typed in the address from DPF to Chef Lins and printed both out and put in a plastic sleeve and its going in my car. I won't have any problems at all. Critter, don't forget to DMAIL us with your Cell Phone number again in case we get lost. Thanks.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6075625

Last year, we relied on mapquest. This year, we will supplement with written directions for the last little bit... finding your way through those interchanges can be confusing. I'll post a link to these directions at the top of the thread, also.

Jim (DH) helped me with these directions, because he's better with left & right than I am. I'll Dmail out my cell phone again, so people can get in touch.

* * * DIRECTIONS * * *

The restaurant is in Prospect Plaza, at 417 S. Jefferson St,near a nest of interchanges where 15, 340, 40, and 270 all come together. This makes it both easy to get to from different directions, and hard to describe. :-) McDonalds is at the front of the Plaza, easy to spot. Chef Lin is toward the center of this strip mall.

Combine these directions with a look at the map! http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=417+S+Jefferson+St,+Frederick,+Frederick,+Maryland+21701&sll=39.40377,-77.416792&sspn=0.027788,0.073643&g=417+S+Jefferson+St,+Frederick,+Frederick,+Maryland+21701&ie=UTF8&ll=39.409258,-77.428894&spn=0.006947,0.018411&z=16&iwloc=addr

From the north, coming down 15 South. Get off at the Jefferson Street exit, turning LEFT (going east). Cross over the highway, and Prospect Plaza will be immediately on your LEFT (turn LEFT at the light).

From the south, along 15-340 North (the two highways merge together just south of Frederick): Stay on 340. (Don't get off onto 15 North when it diverges.) 340 more or less becomes Jefferson Street. Keep left. You'll cross the bridge over the highway, and then turn LEFT at the light into Prospect Plaza.

From the south, along 270N (coming up from the DC beltway): Get off at the Jefferson Street exit and turn RIGHT at the end of the ramp (east onto Jefferson). Make an immediate LEFT at the next light to turn into Prospect Plaza.

From the east (Baltimore), you'll be on 70 West. Take exit 53b, 15 North. Take the first exit onto Jefferson Street. Turn RIGHT at the end of the ramp (east onto Jefferson). Make an immediate LEFT at the next light to turn into Prospect Plaza.

From the west: you'll be on 70 East. Take the exit for 15 North. You're now on 15-340. Stay on 340. (Don't get off onto 15 North when it diverges.) 340 more or less becomes Jefferson Street. Stay to the left. You'll cross the bridge over the highway, and then turn left at the light into Prospect Plaza.

From Dutch Plant Farm, at 151 Baughmans Lane. Turn LEFT onto 40 East. Take the first RIGHT onto 15 South. Take the first exit, Jefferson Street. Turn LEFT onto Jefferson Street, cross over the highway, and then turn LEFT at the light into Prospect Plaza.

Dutch Plant Farm is off "the Golden Mile," highway 40, W Patrick St. At the corner of 40 and Baughman's Lane, there's a shopping center with a JoAnn's. DPF is just behind the shopping center. Coming from 15 onto 40W, you'd turn RIGHT at the first light onto Baughmans Lane and then take the 2nd entrance on the LEFT into DPF. (The 1st left is the side entrance into the shopping plaza.)

Link to DPF location: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=151+Baughmans+Lane,+Frederick,+Maryland+&sll=39.419934,-77.437627&sspn=0.006945,0.018411&g=151+Baughmans+Lane,+Frederick,+Maryland+21701&ie=UTF8&ll=39.41995,-77.437842&spn=0.006945,0.018411&z=16&iwloc=addr

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6075941

We didn't have any trouble last year that I remember. I think we passed Dutch Farm and had to turn around or something like that, but no real trouble. What was handy was directions back to Dutch Farms from the restaurant as we went back there to pick up our plants.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6076227

Here's directions and a map from googlemaps, for going the other direction between the restaurant and the nursery: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=417+S+Jefferson+St,+Frederick,+MD+21701&daddr=151+Baughmans+Ln,+Frederick,+MD&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=39.418809,-77.437846&sspn=0.012234,0.015857&g=151+Baughmans+Ln,+Frederick,+MD&ie=UTF8&ll=39.411711,-77.432177&spn=0.012235,0.015857&z=16
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6076751

Nice goin, Jill. How did you highlight it? There must be a place where you can do that. I printed out the directions & the map & should have no problem. I'm batchin it behind the wheel this trip.
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6076906

Got the maps...Think we will not get off to visit the greenhouses. That is where we got tangled up last year. It now appears we pass the intersection of 15 S and 40 staying on 15 S. making a left onto S. Jefferson. It is going to be to cold to move anything back home with us anyway. We still have six inches of snow with more on the way Monday to Wednesday. No way will be be thawed out by the 21st. this year.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6077163

DPF is worth a stop, I think, even if you're only browsing through as though it's a conservatory. I like the parrots. And it was Feb when I found my great little grumpy garden gnome there!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6077174

Off topic- I cannot look at or drive past that South street exit without remembering an event from several years ago. I took my three kids to visit my aunt in Cumberland. COurse we had a day of activity, and didn't get on the road as soon as I'd have liked, then the almost three hour drive home. Youngest was about five. Around Frederick, He had to "go' I mean "go" It was dark, unfamiliar with the area. But I figured, take the next exit and find a gas station, easy. Next exit was South street which is an industrial area. Here's me and three kids suddenly on a dark creepy deserted road with a few industrial buildings...eeeeeeeeeeee. I could feel three sets of huge wide open eyes behind me, my kids...I turned around and got back to the road!!!!!!!!!!!!Not much scares me but I didn't like that.
Fortunately next exit had a Mini mart kind of place. WHEW Never so glad to see neon, high priced snack foods, and a semi clean restroom.
And while we were lingering near the restroom waiting for the little guy to be done, a British girl comes along and asks- Is there a queue? IThat sticks in my mind too!)
OK, that s it for tonights edition of Sallys random memories
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6077197

That is a strange little exit... but Southern States is on South Street, and Frederick Brickworks used to be there too, so I do venture out that way!
Froggy3125
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009
5:04 AM

Post #6077359

Bec_No_Va I was just re-reading this thread and saw your post. I would love to adopt one of your caudiforms. Critter, I have some stuff for your door prizes - I'll dmail you later with details.
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6079944

Hi Critter: I would love to come to the seed swap and will bring a neighbor friend. I've been talking to her about Dave's Garden people and this will be the perfect opportunity for her to meet you guys. You may not remember me but I came to Hart's place a couple of years ago and had a great time. I'm really looking forward to this. Betty
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6080053

Hooray! It'll be great to see you again -- and to meet your friend! (We'll bring her into the fold. :-)

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6080082

Critter - make sure DPF brings back Orchids :-)

Froggy - I'll bring a "fatplant" for you :-) Bringing some for Buttoneer as well - and I'll bring one for a door price :-)
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6080224

Becky, are you into Epiphyllums?

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6080264

Nope, not at all :-) This years obse..., I mean passion, is orchids and fragrants :-)
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6080512

Ok. Just curious. I know you had caucie's. I believe gita is into epi's, though.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #6081459

Does somebody need epis? I've got a 'Queen of the Night' and a smaller unknown one that I think is supposed to bloom pink (according to my recollection from the person who shared these cuttings with me). Both plants are large enough to spare a couple of cuttings.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
11:30 AM

Post #6081943

I have queen of the night. Did you get your pink from Wren107 by any chance?
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #6081953

That Queen of the night goes back (oh my) 55 years or more. It was my Mom's plant and I can remember when I was a little girl, that she would bring it into the basement when it had a bud about to open, invite the entire neighborhood and set up chairs and make refreshments and we'd all sit there & talk & watch the bloom open around midnight. I remember one elderly person say that the interior of the flower reminded her of a Church with pews & Pastor. The local newspaper even did an article about it. Well, I kept this plant in the E. Window of our Television store and when we closed the store in 1998, took the plant home & put it in the greenhouse. Keep in mind now, I never repotted the plant and only watered it when it was dry. Last year, it really looked terrible, so I repotted it & hung it up & it is growing like a weed. I sure hope I can get it to bloom once again because it is so happy now. Years ago, I would collect plants & was too busy to give them the care they really needed, that is, until I retired. My hands are dirty all the time, so I scrub them with an old toothbrush. I have rubber gloves, but you know, gardeners love getting their hands dirty. Anyway, a little bit of trivia about that one. We called the plant the night blooming Cereus.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009

Post #6082622

Buttoneer,

LOL! I am NOT "into" Eppies--It is just that I got cuttings, for 3 of them, several years ago from someone in CA. These are the only 3 I still have--Four--if you count my Ric-Rac Cactus as one--even theough it is in the "Orchid Cactus" family.
One of the red Epis has bloomed for me--beautiful blooms--the other two have not...yet.

Counting the many rooted and unrooted cuttings I have shared over the years, and the beautiful bloom pictures I have posted--I can see why one would assume that I am "into" Epis. Just being a good "surrogate Mom" to that which has been given me. And--we ALL know about propagating every little trimming and stem...don't we?

I am bringing a well-rooted, white, NBC for the Gift table. Hope whoever gets it can get it to bloom. I have never seen it bloom...yet...I think I am not giving it proper growing maintenance.
Whoever holds the next "Plant Swap"--I should have several more rooted cuttings to bring. Will it be Holly?
Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6084394

Yes Gita we are planing, too. I guess we will be putting up an interest thread next week to see what will dates will work. I think there may be a few other swaps in the planing process as well. I hope you all won't be too disappointed thought. My gardens aren't extensive and anything worth looking at has already been photographed and posted in a thread. LOL
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6084514

Are you kidding? I'd drive up to Pennsylvania just to see your potting shed!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #6084709

Amen, happy...amen
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6084733

Me too...There has been flat out excess hard work making all those pretty beds. A picture does not make a thousand words if a date works out for me. I wanna see too.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6085571

LOL, Well we have a lot of Hard-scape to look at, I know how much you all love Rocks, and little tiny starter plants. There may even be a new trellis over the driveway. I asked Ric if he thought there was any chance of getting it up before the Wisteria flowers in the spring. He seemed to think that was doable. I will say that I love looking back at the before pics and see how much we have done in the last couple of years. Besides we love to have friends come and visit.
Kubileya
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6092684

I think I'd like to come, too! I've been waiting to see if my job needed me back before the end of the month (I was laid off from my real estate job in November, but they say they want me back as soon as the market starts to pick up again). It doesn't look like that's going to happen, so I'm going to go ahead and make other plans. Being laid off sucks, but having my Saturdays free is awesome!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6092691

Kubileya - mercy, sorry to hear about your job but very happy you'll be able to join us!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6092700

Likewise! It's always good to look for that silver -- or maybe green? -- lining. I'm looking forward to meeting you! :-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6093907

Jill--
As the numbers of people wanting to attend seem to be growing--I am wondering if we could eat in the restaurant part and use that small room in the back strictly for the Seed Swap?

Last year--it was pretty tight in there and most people did not get to really mingle and meet each other. One pretty much stayed where one sat down. I, for one, missed getting to interact with all the people I had gotten to "know" from posting on DG.

The restaurant did not seem all that crowded at this time of day--so I am wondering if we could all sit and eat at the back tables near the back room, and then move on back into the back room for the fun part?????

Would this be doable? Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 4, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6094016

Gita, there seemed to be plenty of opportunity to switch seats and to mingle after the meal, during the seed swap. With more of an idea of how things worked out from last year, I think we'll be able to arrange the tables more functionally once I know how many people there will be. Unless we get a lot more people, no, I do not think they will be inclined to let us take over the back part of the restaurant as well as the back party room.

I know it's easier to wander around during an indoor/outdoor gathering at somebody's home, but the restaurant format got pretty good reviews last winter.

I hope everybody is finding the new thread where we've been talking about different dates, different locations, and different types of DG gatherings!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/948957/

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6098972

Just my 2 cents -- i liked being crammed in the back room. The problem with being spread out is that you don't know who is part of your group, and who isn't. So it is more likely that people will get left out. Maybe we just need to be more energetic about playing musical chairs.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #6098993

This year, depending on how many people we end up with, I'll try to arrange things so that we can walk around both ends of the tables. That should facilitate switching seats, as well as make it easier to come and go to the buffet.

We've also noticed that this restaurant has been near seating capacity most of the times we've been there lately, so it's really not like they could just give us the whole back section of the place.

LOL I could blow a whistle every half hour and make people change tables. (Maybe not.)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6099208

How about this for an idea? Are you going to do bingo again? How about each player, when finished, has to take the seat of the next player? That would mix things up, and as I recall we were (mostly) done eating at that point.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6099403

I like that... and as I recall, some folks did sit in one spot during the seed trading part of things, while others moved about.

We'll use a game again (probably Bingo, with random pre-printed cards this time, but maybe something else... I've got a couple weeks to work on it, LOL) as a break between eating and swapping. As we did last year, we'll use the order in which people call BINGO! to determine the order for claiming door prizes from the gift table. You'll go forward, claim your prize, then take the seat of the next person on the list and send them to the gift table for their turn. I think that'll work!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6130033

UPDATE

I went to Dutch Plant Farm this afternoon, and we're still working on the details, but it looks like they'll be willing to give us some sort of small discount on Party Day. Even better news, with a little luck (depending on weather conditions), The Florida Truck might be back a day or two before, so they could have an entire jungle of new goodies unloaded and priced for us.

If you have a special request, some plant that you'd really really love to have, Dmail me right away. I will email Jodi tomorrow, and she will see what she can do... since she is not with The Truck this year, it's more of a roll of the dice. It would probably help to give both the name (scientific too if possible) and an upper limit (if any) of what you're willing to pay for one. Bear in mind that they are more likely to try to hunt around for a larger and more costly specimen than for a $5 plant in a 3 inch pot.

I also noted some of the fun things they have currently... like coffee plants (in 3, 4, and 6 inch pots). If you're in the market for a half-price ficus, palm, or one of those things that looks like corn leaves on a thick bamboo stalk, LMK... I may be able to ask them to hold a sale plant for you, or I can lug it home and you can get it after the party.

Edited to add.. citrus plants may be a problem... no exports allowed from FL at present (pest/disease issues). Jodi has an order in with a CA source but isn't sure what she'll get. I'm planning to ask her to look for allspice, nutmeg, and bay rum trees.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2009 5:39 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6130294

Quoted:
If you're in the market for a half-price ficus, palm, or one of those things that looks like corn leaves on a thick bamboo stalk, LMK... I may be able to ask them to hold a sale plant for you, or I can lug it home and you can get it after the party.

That "Corn Thing" is commonly called a "Corn Plant". It is, actually, another Dracena. There are, probably, 100 forms of Dracenas! We just don't know they all are!

--It should NOT be transplanted it in a bigger pot, as it has a VERY small root system. If you do you may have serious problems having the "stalks" staying erect. Don't mess with it! Let it grow on in the pot you bought it in. If you cannot stand the ugly, black, Nursery pot--put that pot inside another pot--just for looks.
--It should NOT be over watered--because of that. Allow soil to dry out in-between.
--As all Dracenas hate Chlorine and salts--you should let your tap-water air out for at least
two days. Salts will make the leaf-tips turn brown--so common in all Dracenas. Like on Spider plants, Ribbon Plants, Jeanette Craig Dracenas, etc...
If you are on well water--this does not apply.
--Expect your Corn Plant to grow new leaves only from the existing leaf-crown.
Lower leaves may yellow out. This is normal. Just remove them.

This plant, along with all of it's "cousins" (other Dracenas), as well as Ficus and many of the Palms, are available at all the Big Box Stores. No need to pay premium prices for any of these.

Gita

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6130710

Thanks for the tips, Gita! Jodi said they tolerate low light conditions, also, so I may get one for a room that's "too dark" for plants, like the book room (has a big window, but it faces north).

I think the "Fish Tail Palm" (name on tag when i bought it) in the guest bath is actually a Dracena, then -- very similar stalk/trunk anyway. I will start watering it with filtered water, and maybe the new leaves won't do that brown tip thing then.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6130900

!!! allspice, nutmeg, and bay rum trees !!! Wouldn't THAT be SWEET?!?!? Do you still need my list - I can move it up in our ongoing dmail.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6130943

Sure -- bump me, please! (feeling lazy tonight, LOL)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6131382

Jill--I do not think the Fish-tailed palm is a Dracena.

I do not know just what it is--but we have had them come it HD several times.
It is a Palm of some sort...

Re the Corn Plant---I have never really figured it out----Good light??? Low light???

Since you see it in many offices..I have to assume that "bright indirect" light will be the way to go...
I always thought the Snake Plant (Sansiveria) was low light---but many places it says to give it bright light...Go figure! I would choose the middle ground...

It will NEVER hurt any plant to be watered with filtered, or well water.
Here in Baltimore--you can, actually, small the Chlorine when you run the tap. I know it is a high concentration--but then again, that is what makes the water safe.

If I know a plant really does nor like tap-water--I will fill gallon bottles of it and let them sit around for a couple of days before I use it to water plants.

Gita

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6131442

I've had two very different "Fish Tailed Palm" plants -- one looked like a palm; this other one has a jointed looking stalk like the corn plant.

I do use filtered water for some of my plants, but given its location that one has been more likely to get a drink from the bathroom tap. From now on, the african violets upstairs will have to share their premium water with it!

OK, we're at 130 posts, so we need to start limiting the plant chat on this thread please... I've been updating the info at the top as needed, but I don't want this thread to ramble too much for anybody who is just now finding it.

Thanks!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 15, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #6141235

Hello to All - I just found the thread this morning and was trying to read thru, but then gave up and came to the end. First off, thank you for the dmail regarding the get together Critter. We will give it some serious thought.

I don't read Mid Atlantic Gardening much at all, so am relying on folks such as yourself and others please, remind me if there is anything going on that John and I may be interested in doing. Thanks all. This sounds like loads of fun. I had to miss the seed swap last year and am going to make every effort to attend this one.

It is Sunday and I hope that everyone will have a very good one.

Ruby
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #6141298

Isn't the swap on a Saturday, not a Sunday? Duh, sorry, still asleep. Have a good Sunday, too. Hope to see you there Ruby.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2009 8:12 AM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6141441

Hooray! I think I sent out about 100 Dmails last night, in 3 "blasts" to MD, VA, and PA Dgers. I know I still missed people... I was clicking through the subscriber list for familiar names or for towns I thought might be "close enough," but my geography isn't the best. So I'm sure I sent the note to some folks who are 6 hours away LOL and probably missed some who could easily get here.

If you know a subscriber who might not know about this or who might need a little friendly nudge to join us (maybe they're new, or just shy), please get in touch with them!

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2009

Post #6141731

I just sent the link to Shirley in Md. (She can't make it)

This message was edited Feb 17, 2009 3:43 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6141820

Thanks! She's on my "maybe" list, waiting to see how her family schedule works out that day. :-)
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 17, 2009
10:55 AM

Post #6150249

Hey Jill, thanks for the Dmail! It's been way too long since I've spent any time on DG but appreciate the heads up to let me know about the swap. Really enjoyed it last year but unfortunately won't be able to make it this year :( Things are a little too hectic around here right now. We were supposed to be in Florida last week but we were forced to cancel the trip and wait for the crew to repair the damage to our flooded basement when a pipe burst in the deep freeze toward the end of January. Still waiting on the carpet and hopefully it will be in by the end of the week and we'll be spending the weekend getting everything organized again - what a mess :(

I'll be waiting for the photos and hope everyone has a great time!

Debbie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2009
11:47 AM

Post #6150297

RCN, sorry to hear you won't be there I was looking forward to seeing you again. How horrible about that broken pipe, flooding is one of the worst things. So much damage to clean up.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6150627

Yuk on the flooding... we'll miss you!

I just got a Dmail from Anita (avmoran), and she'll try to make it. Hooray!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6151008

Oh Debbie...only thing worse then not getting to visit with you is hearing why!! Agree w/Holly and Jill...flooding is so not a good thing...ugh!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6158816

We're planning to go to Chef Lin tomorrow evening, and I'd like to give them an updated head count. So, if you've been waffling, this would be a great time to let me know you'll be there!

Also, if you're bringing a guest, please let me know their first name so I can have a goodie bag for them that doesn't just say "Becky's friend." Thanks!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #6159224

Jill - I'm so bad with names...just met Becky's friend (speaking of which) here recently. Becky's got the creepin' crud right now - so I'm not sure she'll see this...kinda just having a close relationship with her blanket and probably Nyquil right now. She's trying hard to get better by Sat. I'll txt her though.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2009
5:57 AM

Post #6159235

Oh! (((Becky))) Get well soon! We need you!
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2009
11:08 AM

Post #6159557

Hi, Jill: My friend's name is Bertie. We are so looking forward to this. See you on Saturday. Betty
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6160120

Thanks, Betty! I'm looking forward to seeing you both. :-)

Volunteers needed

I'd like somebody to be in charge of collecting everybody's $11, please. With a lot of things going on, it'll be easier if somebody else can take charge of that for me, as Nutmeg did last year.

I think I have figured out a way to do Bingo so everybody can just play, but if anybody would like to be the caller/verifier, just say the word.

Chantell & Becky (and maybe Devon with them?) have offered to come early and help me set up... thank you!

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6160238

I have an idea, whoever gets a bingo, has to call the next game. That sounds fair enough. That way, you will have many callers. (I hope)

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6160294

Greetings from the oh still dying one...no, no close relationship with Nyquil (stuff makes me sick) - but the binky & I on the other hand...anyway, I am feeling better so we should make it on Saturday and my friends name is Marianne ^_^ (I have serious case of cabin fever now)
bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6161001

Jill: I can take care of collecting the money if okay with you. Betty

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 19, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6162121

Hey, I would love to come, but that's too far of a drive right now! I think I will keep a watch on your goings-on though, and maybe someday in the future I will be able to make a trip out that way. (Actually, I'm afraid to go back to the east coast for fear I won't want to return to Wisconsin!!)

HollyAnn, I've been meaning to ask you if you ever worked in Harrisburg? I worked with a gal named Holly, who lived in Dover, back in 1993, but she had a daughter named Rachel. I'm sure it's not you :)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #6162155

Yay, Becky is getting better!

Betty, THANK YOU!

Everybody look for Betty on Saturday and pay her pronto when you arrive! :-)

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 19, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6162380

Does Chef Lin have Senior prices for the buffet? I was going to pay with a credit card.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6162708

No, they don't. And they would much prefer that we pay our tab collectively rather than giving everybody a separate bill. If that's a problem, LMK... we'll work it out. :-)
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6162814

It's no problem at all. I'll bring the $ 11.00. Thanks .

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6163337

Glad you brought that up - as I rarely carry cash...but will make sure!!

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #6164265

Happy swapping everyone :) One of these swaps I hope to be able to drive down. I won't be able to make it yet again...sigh...

I'm wishing for black pussy willow cuttings. I've tried growing pussy willows to no avail. I saw the black used in a dried arrangement along with regular and it was really nice. Ours always get the tops nipped off, even when I think they are tall enough to avoid a critter doing that. Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and say hello.

Have a nice time,
~Diana
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6166428

Jeannie, No my daughters are Julie and Jen. I have a friend with a daughter Rachel. I have always worked for the Fed-Gov but I did pick up a few part-time jobs here and there. Where did you work?
Wind there is a really good chance that I will have more for the Spring Swap. BTW I will get a swap thread and info thread put together next week. Hey Jeannie, maybe you could come in for that?
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6167556

All of you guys and gals enjoy tomorrow! I sure wish I could be there!
Jill asked if I wanted or needed anything, and what came to mind first was just to be with you all instead of at work!
Other than that, if anyone has a brug cutting or start left over, or maybe some unusual morning glory seeds,
then think of me and send by way of Chantell!

I'll miss you guys and be thinkin' of ya!

Karen
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6170966

I don't think I can look at another seeds... at least not until tomorrow, LOL!

THANK YOU ! to everybody for a memorable afternoon!

I especially appreciate all who helped with setting up and clearing away. Betty, thank you so much for taking care of the accounting for me! And Terry, thanks for helping out with the "Daves Bingo" call list. I had a wonderful time, and I hope all of you did, too! Oh yes, and my thanks also to whoever treated me to lunch! :-)

I started a thread for swap photos and more here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/955248/
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6171104

Hey, now you all know I've got this maternal streak... please check in and post when you're safely home!

bseward
Kilmarnock, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6171125

I dropped Bertie off at home and just got in myself. We both had a fabulous time and really appreciate all the wonderful goodies and terrific food. Many many thanks to you Jill for organizing it all. Hope to see you all in the near future. Betty
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 21, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6171130

Glad you're both safely home!

I'm also glad the weather cooperated... cold, yes, but we had sunshine and dry roads. :-)
Kubileya
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6171168

I got home a little while ago and have already WS'ed my columbines and some others. Yay! I even managed to get over the Bridge of Doom (some of you may know this as the 'Chesapeake Bay Bridge,' but I think my name suits it better) before it started to get dark, so I didn't have to have a panic attack or anything.

Thank you again, Jill. I had a wonderful time and it was great to meet so many of you.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6171225

Karen, I think I ended up with a packet of seeds for you, rather than Chantell... but I'll get them to you!

THANK YOU ! to all who attended and helped make this afternoon's events such a rousing success! Looked to me like everybody had a great time, and if anybody went home without enough seeds it was their own fault, LOL.

^_^

I think we need a photo thread...

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6171321

That is a loooong bridge! It's probably challenging on a gusty day, too.

Winter sowing works great for columbines! Did you catch my article on Groundhog's Day? (That's my traditional day to kick off winter sowing season, LOL.) http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2091/

Hmm, could swear I posted a link to the photo thread... here it is! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/955248/
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6171327

Critter, We're home and already had supper. We even took a little detour to Cunningham falls park on the way home. Ric
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6171340

ooh, nice! I love Cunningham Falls. Was it open? We went once in Feb. and couldn't get into the park... LOL

Jeannie63

Jeannie63
Mequon, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 22, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6171605

Sounds like you all had a great time!

Yeah, HollyAnn, I didn't really think you were the same Holly I worked with - it was a long shot. I worked for a small start-up company in downtown Harrisburg (Control Techtronics).
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6171621

Hi, got home at 5:00 p.m. with no problems. DH took me to Bonanza for supper. Ohhhhhhhhh. He was worried sick about me all day but glad I got home safely. I told him I never ever get in that car, and drive, until I have prayed. The fat plants are in the greenhouse on the floor & will be sprayed with insect repellant tomorrow. The DPF plants have all been put in their little places and the seeds are waiting for me to go through them. The Episcias & Alsobia have been planted in that cute little glass bowl & are in the greenhouse with the AV's. There is absolutely no place to walk in there but I'll move things around as I water tomorrow. Anything left over will go to the Hobby Greenhouse raffle table in a couple weeks. I have no idea where I will put all the co-op stuff that is coming in, so I guess I will have to check every pot & consolidate as I have done in the past. It's so easy to fill a greenhouse. Thanks again Jill. You have outdone yourself. Judy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6171651

Wow, Buffet and then Bonanza... a day of good eats! :-) You realize you're making a lot of folks turn green with statements like "it's so easy to fill a greenhouse." LOL

Holly, I started a thread to help us all find other DGers planning to go to the Philly Flower Show... sure hope you & Ric decide to go up on Wednesday! :-)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6171719

Judy glad you're home safe
Kubileya- so glad you came all that way for it and made it back OK.
I took a slight 'detour' to the Wash Beltway- just forgot to look for 70 East...after getting on "15 south to 70" But only cost twenty minutes ,and refreshed me on the ol stomping grounds. Going to the other thread now.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6171777

The park was open and quite pretty. You could drive all the way to the falls trail. We didn't take the hike as it was a little late in the day and we were dressed for a buffet rather than hiking. LOL :) Ric
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6171821

LOL

BTW, I was totally confused at the end of the swap... the Philly Flower Show is still a week away (3/1-3/8). I started a thread to see who might be going which day.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6173271

I made it home safe and sound - quick drive for me (15-20 minutes south on 15). It was a great way to spend a Saturday. Thanks Jill for pulling it together! I sorted thru all the seeds this morning and will get sowing this afternoon. Hope to see you all again soon... Terri
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6174754

Sorry I couldn't make it. It sounds like y'all had a great time. I'm looking forward to seeing the swap pictures!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 22, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6174976

!!!

My cuttings came in last night, but only now did I head out to the garage and bring in the rest of the stuff from the swap, including my goodie box...

Somebody stuffed my box with morning glory seeds! I am thrilled! I think Holly mentioned she was tossing in a couple of packs, but finding 16 packs of MGs was a huge surprise. I found some other goodies in there, also... it's a good thing I bought another bale of potting mix plus that coir from Rick. LOL

^_^

Thank you!
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6175293

Hey, I had a wonderful time at the swap and Froggy and I got back okay. I was just so tired and deflated after such an eventful week and many late nights that I was too tired to PC-vous last night. But want you all to know that I am a happy camper, I got many of the seeds I wanted and more!! And that I am sorry I did not bring everything I had posted, only because no one had let me know beforehand what they were interested in. If anyone still wants something, I will be happy to mail it.

I also liked Dutch Plant Farms. Got a Stevia herb plant, something that isn't readily available at many urseries!! I did not expect to find any herbs there, but they had a bunch!!! They also sell roses, but the roses were not in yet. They had some beautiful birdhouses that I was attempted to plurge on, but I got a hanging basket instead for some tomato plants that Critter gave out. It was a bonanza time!! Thanks to all and especially to you, Critter, for pulling it together!!

Fnff

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6175757

LOL @ "PC-vous"

I've got some stevia seeds to try (they are slow from seed and sometimes hard to germinate)... with a little luck, I may have a few to share this spring. Otherwise, maybe I can pick some up from DPF!

Er, what tomatoes are you putting in a hanging basket? Most of mine are indeterminates that need a 5+gallon pot.

Froggy3125
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #6176688

I had a great time yesterday. Jill, thanks for such a great event. The food was delicious and the company was even better. I really enjoyed meeting everyone, and brought home lots of seeds and some wonderful plants. I babysat my granddaughter last night and this morning so she kept me busy the rest of the weekend, but this week I will start WSing many of my seeds and sorting the rest for future planting. I feel like I won the lottery in seeds.! I think Foxnfirefly and I will be hitting local nurseries and plant sales together since we live so close to each other. It's always a blessing to meet and make new friends.

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #6176702

I am so glad for you to be living so close to her. It was a pleasure to meet you.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6177514

For those of you that got my MG seeds you will see that most of them are marked with a location instead of a name. If you would like pictures of the ones you have I will post them for you. These would be mixed seeds and could have any or all of the MG that were growing in that location. Those marked Back Deck Small Seeds could be any of these.
Star of Yelta

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6177519

Dilute Star of Yelta

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6177528

This was a heavy bloomer and really put on a show. Some of you might have gotten these seeds in packets marked with the name. Split Personality 'Pink Split Petal

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6177701

ooh, that's going to be a pretty combo! Holly, did you put 16 packs of MGs in my box, or did they come from several sources? nobody is 'fessing up. I know the paper packets are from you... thank you! and thanks for posting the photos.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6178885

Jill, as always, a big ole thank you for an amazing job!!! Had fun, fun...and was stuffed - stuffed!!! God bless you, Doris for helping Fnff get there and back!!! I appreciated it as she's always such a welcomed addition to the MA group and it was wonderful to meet you!!!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6178964

Today, the greenhouse got watered, along with the 23 caudexed plants from Becky. But I watered sparingly. They also got a good spraying. I am keeping six of them & donating 17 to the Hobby Greenhouse club for their raffle table March 7. Becky, thanks so much for all of them. Did you know one of them was a Passiflora? (the Adenia). Anyway, they are truly a plant neglector's delight. Critter, thanks again for the delightful get-together. Looking forward to seeing all of you at Holly's in May. I'm bringing Amish Cole Slaw!!!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6179350

LOL @ "neglector's delight!"

I'm still just grinning ear to ear at all the fun we had on Saturday! Thanks to everybody for making the day so fabulous.

^_^
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6179397

Critter, It wasn't me mine are all in those brown paper env.
If you have env marked Back porch or back deck large seeds then they should look like these.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6179407

Or these

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Froggy3125
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6179853

Buttoneer, what did you spray your fat plants with? Maybe I should spray the two I brought home. I have them separate from my other plants but I can't see anything on them. Of course, my eyesight is not as good as it used to be.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6180184

I bought a spray at K-mart for $ 3.29. It said right on the label that it kills red spider mites. I even sprayed it on some plants that had aphids on them.
Froggy3125
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2009
4:32 AM

Post #6181546

Thanks, I'll look for it at K-mart.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #6182053

Yes, Froggy. Read the label on these sprays. Not all of them kill spider mites. Also, I have heard that spider mites hate water & have seen suggestions to mix a couple drops of liquid dish soap in water to spray on the plants, but you don't want them to remain wet because they will rot, so I would think the spray would do the job best. I'd keep checking them for the telltale webs, which I didn't see when I got them.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6183181

I've heard spraying with alcohol works as well and wouldn't leave plant wet.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6183252

I'v'e been making a little headway on my mite-ey lemons with homemade Neem- alcohol- drop of soap -spray

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5681428

The residue is honeydew - the excreta from assorted pests - aphids, scale, whitefly, mealybug ...

I dose/spritz my plants 2 weeks before they come in, and again JUST before they come in with a mix of:

1 pint rubbing alcohol
1 pint very hot water
1 tsp pure, cold-pressed neem oil
3-4 drops Murphy's oil soap

Add neem & soap to hot water & shake well. Add alcohol. Spritz plants thoroughly, covering all surfaces - especially underside of leaves & leaf axils. Be sure to shake vigorously as you use the spritzer to keep the neem mixed with the solution. Works great - the neem oil renders all the insects it contacts unable to complete metamorphosis or reproduce, while the alcohol provides reasonable knock-down for current generations.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6184242

Hmmm...note to self - add alcohol to original "witches brew" mix
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6184610

Thanks Sally I knew I had seen that formula but couldn't remember where. I've been mixing my Neem oil with out the alcohol as I couldn't remember how much to put in. BTW the Neem is working well not quite all gone but very well.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6193129

Gita,
The Brug 'Maya' that was my lucky prize from the gift table has bloomed! First bloom was open when I got home from work yesterday, and the second was open this morning when I left. It opened a pale yellow, and I guess I'll be seeing the color change progression - so pretty!!! Terri

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #6194220

Oh, my Terri! That was quick!
The "pale yellow" is probably because it has been inside. it will be a deeper yellow outside.
How would you describe the scent---just for Chantelle...

Please post a picture for all to see--especially Chantelle--who got another one just as big--but no buds...

I am so happy for you! And you were not the first one who had dibs on any of the prizes...
Just the lucky one!...:o))

Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6194335

Gita - got your baby up on the plant rack right in front of the window with all my tropicals - pretty girl that she is!! You wouldn't happen to have a Brugmansia Eternity or no anyone who does, would you? I've got you down for the Dr. Seuss at the next swap and will be bringing at least one other big brug ('Xena') - hopefully

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #6194952

Chantelle---

The cuttings you gave me are under the lights...The leaves are getting bigger already...

I will post a picture when they show any significant growth,,,
Will let you know what the leaves look like when they get to growing a bit...

NO! I never heard of the Brug "Eternity"...WHAT does that look like??

At this point--I only have rooted cuttings of the "Rose Souvelons" Brug...
Used to have others--but they are all gone...Gave the Mamas away...Not happy with their growth or their too-tall height...or too late a blooming cycle...

Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6195032

"Eternity in very much a pink bloom there is no peach about it! It starts out white and deepens to pink. " Per Caren re the Brugmansia Eternity
Plantfiles: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/135733/

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6195488

The scent on the brug is pleasantly mild. My brother-in-law just finished doing the dishes, and since I have it sitting by the kitchen sink windows, he was doing the sniff test too. Neither one of us seems to be good at categorizing the scent, but if we had to liken it to something familiar - maybe lemony? I'll try to get a picture posted tomorrow.

Not going to believe this either, but the tomato seeds I got from critter were sprouted when I got home from work!!! This is so exciting... Terri

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6195717

Terri--You must have some kind of magic about you!!!!
That all sure seems unbelievable! Tomato seeds sprouting overnight??????
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6195826

Terri, just in case... if you've got them on a heat mat, then snatch them off as soon as they sprout... tomatoes sprout fast with heat but get leggy very quickly if they stay in a real warm spot.

I've had tomatoes sprout in less than 48 hours, on the heat mat. :-)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6196824

I did have them on a heat mat. I sowed them Sunday afternoon and had sprouts by Thursday afternoon! I've taken them off the heat mat, removed the plastic dome, put them 2" from the lights, and have a fan going. Hopefully I won't get the dreaded "damping off" that I keep reading about. Next step is to sow peppers and basils... Lot of firsts this year for me - starting anything from seeds and a vegetable garden in the making! Terri
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6196875

Aspen, I was not at the swap. Last year I started a veg. garden thread in Mid-Atlantic, may be time to start this years thread, come on over and join me.

(I'll be back to post a link)

Edited to add link http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/957214/

This message was edited Feb 27, 2009 8:01 AM

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6203701

Gita, here are a couple of pictures of that brug in bloom. The white/yellow/peach color transition will look wonderful in my niece's bedroom, but I'm not sure if it gets enough sun to leave it in there. You'll have to educate me on where I should keep it - I have it by the kitchen sink widows, moved it to Brooke's room to take the pictures, and thinking I should have it outside for the summer? Terri

Thumbnail by aspenhill

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6203711

And another shot showing the overall arbor the brug is sitting on...

Thumbnail by aspenhill

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6204237

Aw, Terri!

You made such a pretty setting for it!

YES! It definitely has to go outside for the Summer--as soon as the weather breaks. Take it easy with the light---full shade to start with, then a bit better light, and, eventually, in full sun. However--Brugs are not too happy in sweltering sun--so see if you can put it somewhere that will shade it a bit in the hot afternoons.

You will need to plant it in a really BIG pot! This "little thing" will grow to maybe 4'-5'. They are trees in their native habitat.
You will have to bring it in for the winter. I keep mine in my cool basement with no light. They always make it. Because of this, you may want to pot it in a 3 gal black pot, with holes cut out along the sides for roots to grow through, and then dig the black pot into a big pot--like maybe a 20" or so. Brugs blow over in high winds as their huge leaves are like parachutes. I dig my pots 1/2 way into my beds to keep them upright.
Lots to know...Feed! feed! Feed! They are 'pigs"...Water almost daily! etc...etc...

I have information on Brugs in my Documents. If you would give me your e-mail address, I can send it to you as an attachment. Then--there is the Brug Forum...

Good luck! Will this be your first time growing a Brug?

You think I am kidding about the size???? I think I over fertilized it last year when i was potting it up. All huge leaves and very sparse bloom--until it was time to dig it up and cut it back. EVERY tip had so many buds on it--I could have cried!!! That is probably why the cutting bloomed--it was buried there somewhere...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6204244

Here's the carnage! Sad!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6205905

Gita, that is huge! Yes, this is my first brug. I sent you dmail for getting a copy of your notes on care. thanks, terri

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6205932

Terri,

Just so you know--it was not grown from a small cutting.
It was already a full-sized plant that I had kept dormant for the winter. I repotted it and root-pruned it and I think I added too much Dynamite slow-release fertilizer to the soil--so it grew these humongous leaves!

Will be more craful this year...Gita
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6206282

Gita, I have ordered 2 Brugs from the co-op, I have 2- 3 gal. nursery pots that I could plant them in, but I was thinking of sinking one of the pots into my corner garden bed, taking out the birdbath and moving it to another location.
In the fall if I break the roots, that have grown outside the pot, loose. Trim the plant and over winter in the basement like you do, does that sound right. I am referring to the root issue.

Could I have a copy of your notes also while you are at it, thanks.

Chris

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6207055

Chris--

I went to work and made a bunch of copies from all my advice when I was new to Brugs.
Some of the people don't even post any more...There are a lot of back and forth Q. and A. in the pages...It sure helped me!
It will be a business sized, manila envelope.

It will not hurt the brugs if you cut back all the exposed roots that have grown through the holes in the pot. Just put a plastic bag around the pot to keep them from drying out...
Water sparingly maybe 3 times during the dormancy period...

You should not trim the plant as you haul it inside--except for cuttings you want to root.
Trim it in the Spring as you put it outside (NOT below any of the "Y"s!!!!!). You will have a bit more compact plant...

I would recommend you use a bit larger pot than a 2 gallon. If you have a 5 gallon--that would be even better. You can leave 1/4 of the pot sticking out above the soil level. Kind of a water-catcher...

Don't worry too much! Brugs are very tough plants.

Gita

Here is one of the cuttings of a Rosamond" Brug in 2006 just starting to leaf out. This was a top-cutting from the plant the year before. This was taken middle of May...They grow quickly!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6207095

I'm not overly concerned about this thread getting too long with off topic chat, since the swap is over & done...

But I'd like to suggest that we start new threads for new topics (like care for new brugs), so more people can see the information and provide feedback & input.

Thanks!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6208676

Well--I am just going to ask the 2 people that i am helping to send me D-mails or e-mails.
Don't really want to start another one here...

We already have a Brug Forum---people can always go there and ask questions...

Gita
Kubileya
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2009
3:51 AM

Post #6223327

Oh my gosh, Gita-- I planted your wintersweet seeds the other day according to your directions-- soaked them, then planted and left them warm for three days preparing to take them outside to chill as soon as the snow melts-- and I already have sprouts. How quick! I've lusted after this shrub for years, so I'm excited.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #6223479

Since I know not where to put this - here it's going...for those of you that also purchased the jasmine...I finally repotted it...and the next size up didn't work...ended up in an 11.5" pot...yes the root ball, once detangled, was THAT big!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2009
6:44 AM

Post #6223732

OH, my!

Mine has been sending out all sorts of new shoots. DH hates the scent, "too much like paperwhites." I told him I probably wouldn't be able to get it to bloom again, certainly wouldn't manage to get dozens of bloom clusters on it, and he said, oh, that's OK then. LOL

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6224882

LOL - Jill did you see the thread where I found the ID?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6225039

I think so.. will have to make an official tag for mine, now.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6278714

*hangin' head in shame* OK, Terri you put me so shame with YOUR pretty Maya bloom pic but I had to share regardless. I'm 1/2 embarrassed to say I didn't even realize she had a bud on her...course to my defense it was on the opposite side of my view...LOL. Not a great pic but to remind everyone the size of the plant Gita blessed me with...LOOK at that bloom

Thumbnail by Chantell

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6278722

i wasn't the only one enjoying the scent (yes, I know they're poisonous - she's only allowed to touch when I'm with her - washing hands right after)

Thumbnail by Chantell

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #6279397

So pretty - both the bloom AND Chloe. I love seeing how much you include and involve her in your gardening activities. She will have so many fond memories, most of them triggered by scent LOL! Terri

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6280224

Sadly I never had time when MINE (4 of them - 2 yrs apart) were little to garden - so we had to enjoy other's...but yes scent is a biggie - I just love her enthusiasm - it's contagious, ya know?!?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America