Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Think Spring! Lunch & Seed Swap, Sat. February 21

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy New Year!

Please mark your calenders for our midwinter "Think Spring!" seed swap. Last year's event at a local restaurant worked out so well that I think this year's plan will probably be quite similar.

When: Saturday, February 21

Where: Frederick, MD
Link to post with DIRECTIONS: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6075625

What: Eating Lunch and Swapping Seeds

Who: DG subscribers and their guests
(see list at bottom of post)

You may want to plan to come early so you can drop by Dutch Plant Farm. I wrote an article last year that has a lot of photos taken there, if you'd like an idea of what they are likely to have. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/769/ I'll check with them closer to the event to see if the big truck will be back from Florida by then. :-)

Edited UPDATE on Dutch Plant Farm: The Florida Truck did not make it back in time for our swap, but their midwinter sale continues. And, we get a special 10% discount tomorrow (2/21)! Clearance plants (look for the polka dot tags and get 50% off) may not be reduced further (but ask). So, when you check out, be sure to mention that you are with the Dave's Garden group. :-)

At NOON we'll meet for lunch at Chef Lin, a local Chinese buffet that's one of my favorite Frederick restaurants. I'm hoping we'll have about 20 people, as we did last year, so we can use their back room, which gives us room to set up tables for name tags, door prizes, and seed swapping. The manager was very accommodating last year, and she's happy to hear we're planning to return. Chef Lin Buffet, 417-A South Jefferson St., Frederick. 301-620-0664.

At 2 pm, we'll do a little thing and give away some door prizes. If you have something you'd like to donate as a prize, please Dmail me. Purchased items for the table should be under $5.

We'll concentrate on seed swapping from 2 to 3:30 pm or so. Of course, seeds can be swapped outside of that time, and of course anybody who doesn't want to swap seeds can just keep chatting and visiting. I don't think we all left until at least 4 last time, so plan to make a day of it if you can.

We'll set up another thread for seed chat so people can pre-arrange trades if they want. It's not necessary to make any arrangements ahead of time, but it can be useful to see what people have and what everybody's looking for.

Please figure $11 per person for lunch, including tax and a generous tip. With the other seafood on the buffet (sushi, steamed shrimp & mussels, clams/oysters on the half shell, fried fish/shrimp/scallops, and various hot dishes), I've never felt the need for the snow crab, but it's an available option for several dollars more. The buffet has everything from soups and stir-fries to fried chicken and mozzarella sticks... there's salad, fruit, and an array of desserts, including soft-serve ice cream and hot little fried doughnuts. The selection is remarkable, and even if you don't like Chinese food you'll find plenty of possibilities.

We will all be on one tab. Please bring $11 cash and give it to Betty (bseward) when you arrive. Thanks!

Swapping of plants (with potting soil or dirt) that we can't bring inside can be done in the parking lot... the best time seems to be between 1:30 and 2. I know it's not an ideal arrangement, but bear in mind this was meant to be a seed swap. :-)

I know some folks might be on tight budgets. If the cost of the meal might keep you from coming, please Dmail me, and we'll get you covered. I don't want anybody to miss out.

Please post on this thread if you're interested in coming. I'm not trying to get a definite head count ahead this far ahead, but if I'd like to get a general idea if possible of whether or not this date will work for people.

I had a blast at our seed swap last year, and I'm already excited about this year's gathering!

THINK SPRING!

:-)

list of people who think they'll be able to come
aspenthomas
avmoran
Bec_no_va & Marianne
Bluekat76 & Rick
bseward & Bertie
Buttoneer
Chantell
Critter plus 4 (Theresa, Angela, their parents Irene & Al -- gardeners, all!)
Foxnfirefly
Froggy3125
Gitagal
happy_macomb -- maybe
HollyAnnS & Ric
KC2050 ? maybe
Kubileya
Miatablu
SallyG

This message was edited Feb 21, 2009 9:15 AM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi critter - count me in. Never done seeds, never been to a seed swap - can't wait to add this to my gardening 'firsts'! I'll bring seeds from the packets I've started ordering from the seed catalogs...Terri

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I expect Ric and I will be there. I had such a great time last year. I will be bringing old seeds as I didn't do much collecting this year only a few MG and they are somewhat mixed. I plan on going back to Dutch Farm again they had such nice plants and there was something I wish I had bought last year and didn't maybe I can get them this year.

Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I'll have to pass this year. February 19-23 is our family weekend at Deep Creek Lake -- been on the calendar since October and I've already paid for the house and kids have signed up to take their leave so we're a go on that. I know you will all have a great time -- Jill throws a fun swap!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Betty and I will both make this date. We will have a few surprises for the give-a-way and prize table. A major snow day is the only thing that would prevent us from enjoying this event on the 21st. of Feb. Thanks for the excellent lead time that helps us make arrangements to clear a several day mini vacation with this RU event in it. I really enjoyed "CHEF LIN" last year and will again.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Jill, So sorry I won't be able to attend. Febuary is to early in the year for us to make a long trip. I am a fair weather traveler.
Just thought I'd let you know that I saw this thread.
Chris

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the responses! As always, we'll miss those who can't make it, and I've learned that there's no such thing as a date that will work for everybody... I understand about winter weather, too, and I hope nobody will take chances if they're not sure about the driving conditions. I think there are already a couple of potential spring swap locations in the pre-planning stage, and I'm already looking forward to seeing people then, too!

I'm getting excited, and I'm already packaging extra seeds!

If anybody is looking for pepper seeds, I've got a co-op underway now, and I can bring your seeds to the swap rather than shipping them, so you'll save a buck or two unless you want to start them sooner. (I don't plant out peppers until the first week in June, so starting in March pretty much gives me the necessary 8 to 12 weeks.)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yipeeee.....ummmm, that mean yes, I'll ("we'll" - I'll dmail Becky) be there!! Can't wait since I missed the fall get together. My seeds might be some older ones as well but I can share some of the recent ones I picked up at HD. Sign me up for door prize(s)...I'll dmail you with the details - then you can let me know how I can help with this - this time. Please don't take it all on yourself again. Hugs!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... I didn't take it all on myself last time... lots of folks brought goodies to share for the gift table, and going to the restaurant makes the whole affair very easy! :-)

I'm not sure what the game will be for prizes, but if we do "seed Bingo" again, I'm going to generate random cards so we don't have so many simultaneous Bingos! LOL

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Count me in ^_^

No seeds, but I need homes for some plants - am looking for homes for some caudiciforms...think about it folks, prickly stuff needing very little care :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Glad you can make it, Chantell & Becky!

I know this is a generous, sharing group, but I'm going to have to ask people to limit bringing plants, especially potted plants (cuttings shouldn't be a problem). We can probably get by with having a few plants on the gift table again, but trying to do a plant swap at the restaurant is just not a good idea, especially since we have to waltz them all through the dining area...

I will try to get out to DPF soon to see if there's any way we could use a table in back there for a swap, but I'm guessing they've got rules about outside plant material (pest concerns). I also thought about tacking on a winter sowing clinic at my place after the lunch and seed swap, partly to give us a location to swap some plants (plants could be dropped off in the morning), but I don't think I want to try to organize both locations.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

Good ideas - I'll be happy to leave any plants in cars if anyone wants to take some off my hands :-)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

"see if the big truck will be back from Florida by then" - tropicals???????

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ah, I didn't realize you were offering plants that could withstand a February parking lot. :-)

Yes, DPF sends a truck to Florida every winter and brings it back loaded with tropicals. If there's anything you're especially looking for, let me know, as sometimes they will "take requests." :-)

BTW, I'll double check prices at Chef Lin and add that info to the top of the thread... last year, it came to $10 per person, and I think their buffet charge may have increased by about a buck. I know budgets are tight now, so please don't decide not to come because of the cost... Dmail me, and we'll work it out. :-)

Crossville, TN

I have you covered....Have a great time! Jo

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/557555/

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Bec: I don't even know what a caudiciform is. Might be better that way!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Closed related to the Cauliflower...LOL

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Yum -- I bet it is good steamed, with cheese sauce!!! Bec, do the prickles get stuck in your teeth?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Wish it was closer, nuts! Hope you have fun.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL - ahem....no

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Sorry to miss this one but hope to help get one together in this area later in the spring with Teri (Roses_R_Red). Looking forward to meeting all of you at a later date! Have a great swap! Jessica

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm glad we've got a growing number of people interested in hosting and attending these sorts of events -- the more, the merrier! I'm looking forward to some future road trips. :-)

Be sure to check out my article tomorrow for some photos from last year's "Think Spring!" swap party.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

What can I possibly have better to do than go eat Chinese and glom some free seeds? Count me in. Don't know what I'll have to bring, haven't saved much atall.
I will be fighting doc over the green bean trimmings.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Glad to see you are going, Sally....
That means I am too...Sign me up!

I don't remember---can we bring small, rooted plants to swap too?
I have some Red Epis and NBC's....and Angel Wing Begonias....and some Maya Brugs.

WHO was going to hold the plant swap and when? Was it you, Holly?
I am interested in holding a Plant Swap also one of these years. I have the perfect yard for it...all shade--big, covered Patio....lots of street parking...5 minutes off of I-95....

Thanks, G.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita - how heavy is the scent on the Maya Brug??? I'm such a mooch but I thought someone had mentioned that brug having a very nice scent

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantelle,

To me--ALL Brugs have a wonderful scent that they only release when dusk falls..
Some are sweet...some a bit more "spicy". In my memory--the Maya is a sweet scent.
Best one I have ever had (and lost a few years ago) was Dr. Seuss. Oh my!!!! To die for!
If you are looking for scent--find someone that has a Dr. Seuss to share.

Last year--all my Brugs, except the Rose Souvelons, did not have a serious bloom flush until end of October--and by then, the weather was getting cold. That is when I cut my Maya to pieces and dragged the Mama in my basement.

Do you remember the pictures I posted? Can't find them right now....

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Gita- happy to have you ride with me!
I think the message with bringing plants is--don't try to bring the whole garden into the restaurant. Hope for a mild day so most can stay in the vehicle. If we just have the sun, the van will be cozy for them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's it, exactly, Sally. Bringing *a* potted plant for the gift table is OK, and (small!) houseplant cuttings in baggies are OK also, but we can't be bringing lots of potted plants (even small ones) into the restaurant for swapping. If the weather is sufficiently mild, of course we can do a parking lot swap.

:-)

I do think Holly and Ric were planning to host a spring plant swap, but I don't think they've picked a date. There's another potential PA swap location in the works for this spring also, I think.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, Yes Ric and I are planning on holding a Spring Swap. I will set up a seperate interest thread begining of Feb. to help pick a date, I was thinking May maybe late April. There are a few other people I know of that are also planning to have a swap and hopefully between us we will have a couple of different dates for everyone. I know how sad everyone is when they can't make the Swap date.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita,
I have a few brugs now to include Dr. Seuss that RJ blessed me with - I've been rooting the cuttings I took from him when I brought him indoors - would you like them to replace the one you lost? Yes I remember your beautiful pic - how could I forget it?!? ^_^ I could also bring you a rooted cutting of Charles Grimaldi who's scent I found to be incredible!!! I'm fairly certain all of these cuttings were above the "Y" - CG for sure - so they should bloom in a reasonable amt of time for you once the weather warms. Let me know please - I'd be happy to bring you some.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantelle,

Thanks for thinking of me!

Charles Grimaldi is almost identical to Dr. Seuss. The ONE difference is that the leaf edges of the CG are smooth--and the leaf edges of the Dr. Seuss are serrated.

What say we trade rooted cuttings? I will bring for you a Maya--and you can give me Dr. Seuss? All my Maya cuttings are also from above the "Y"--as are the ones I have rooting from the Rose Souvelons....A really nice, great bloomer of a Brug. Deal?

Here's Maya.....The greatest thing i love about the Maya is how it changes colors as the bloom progresses.
It starts out as a tight, yellowish bud.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Then--as it opens further--it starts to turn creamy white....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

More white as the bloom progresses.....

You might remember that I always called this Brug I have "Peaches and Cream".....for obvious reasons. However--it was "diagnosed as a "Maya" from the shape of the buds by the "experts"---and I agree. So--now I will call it a Maya from now on....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Now you can see the blooms turning a light peach color.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And here is a close-up of when they DO turn a peach color....
Mind you--all this happens in about 4 days or so.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's my Dr. Seuss in full flush in 2006!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The hotter the Dr. gets...the more orange the blooms get.....

Note the serrated edges of the leaves!

OOps! Leaves not too visible in this shot....Sorry!

This message was edited Jan 8, 2009 6:23 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a picture of the "Rose Souvelons".....Not yet fully open....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi, All - I would like to join you at Chef Lin's in Frederick on the 2/21 - I have been a member of DGs for about a year and would like to "branch out" ( excuse the poor pun) beyond my computer screen. Hope to see you - I don't do snow!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

It's blooms get a "puffy" appearance when fully open...
It is a reliable bloomer--flush after flush during the Summer.....Roots easily...quick recovery after Winter in a dormant state in my basement.....Just keeps on greening up and growing....NO transitional woes.....

I used to have 2 more pink Brugs--now gone--or eliminated......
1--"Rosamond"--What a robust bloomer!
2--"ForeverMohr"--hybridized by Shirley Mohr of IA ("Brugie")--a cross of Rosemond and "Butterfly"......BIG blooms! But--late to flower in the season....Have had it for about 3-4 years now.....Gave it away last fall.....GONE!

I know how we all can get "obsessed" with Brugs once we first have them-----BUT then, after a few years--one gets to realize how much care and fertilizing, and watering they need. They are "pigs"--feed them anything you have--and they will reward you with some blooms.....some sooner--some too late in the Season....
Then--you may get a glorious flush of bloom end of October, here--too late to just let it all be and enjoy it! By then--frost will be nipping at the plant and you will be freaking out what to do with it!!!!
I had to cut down every branch of my Maya last October--and ALL the tips were loaded with buds--that I never got to enjoy--as frosty weather was coming....Glad my cuttings are thriving under the lights i will soon need for seeds.....

You have to drag them in the house for the Winter to "dormant" them over.....
They need to be in BIG pots to let their roots spread--Hey! They are trees in their native habitats---just graceful annuals here.....

To be honest--I have tired of them--but I cannot stop having them. If nothing else--for the "gawk factor" of people that see them.....Hoooo...Hummmm....
For some reason--maybe because no one here has ever heard of Brugmansias--I just cannot let them go.....so I keep plugging away and carrying them over from year to year.....

Do you see the emotional struggle here????? Getting to old for all this! NOT enough space in my beds to have an interesting garden! Too many Maple-Tree roots.....If I want to plant dsomething NEW---it literally means--something old has to go!
Wish I could just dig up a fresh patch somewhere and throw in a hand-full of new seeds and enjoy the flowers. NOPE! Nada!

SO! I will go to Seed Swaps and enjoy the camaraderie-----and, I will gladly share seeds I have with others----BUT--I sure do not want new seeds to plant--as I simply DO NOT have the space appropriate to do so.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.