Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: Phalaenopsis Orchid bud?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 4, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kapr
Foreston, MN

January 4, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #5965617

I have a phalaeonopsis orchid and the first new bud since I bought it is starting to grow. Does anyone know how long it will take to mature?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #5968403

Hello,

I had these orchids some time ago and although I cannot tell you how long it took the buds to mature, I will tell you with my first attempt at these beauties, that I lost the buds - they did not open, but would wither and die. The problem that I was having was that I was not providing enough humidity for the buds to mature. I was misting my plant everyday - which apparently was not enough. It was not until I put my orchids on a bed of gravel with a level of water in the bed of gravel and misted my plants, did my buds open. My understanding is that lack of humidity is a very common cause for these flowers not to open.

Best of luck to you - phalaeonopsis orchids have gorgeous flowers.

Carolyn
kapr
Foreston, MN

January 5, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #5969130

Thanks Carolyn! That information is very helpful seeing as I have no idea what I'm doing. This is my first time growing an orchid. :)
HoyaGirl
Redmond, OR
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
5:55 AM

Post #5976180

Depending on the size of the bud stalk it could take a few weeks. The humidity tray is key in helping these orchids stay happy and blooming.My mother in law has several of these orchids and loves them also do not cut off the bud stem after blooming is done you can cut off a third of the length and sometimes it will shoot out a new stalk of blooms to enjoy, the blooms last a good 6-8 weeks sometimes:) HoyaGirl
dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

January 7, 2009
9:39 AM

Post #5976272

The flowers can last longer than 6-8 weeks. I bought an Orchid in late August and at Christmas the last flower had dropped. That was 5 months, it was flowering when I bought it, so its 5 months at least. I am itching for another orchid now, I have 2 both of which are flowerless at the moment.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America