Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canadian Gardening: What was your favorite Annual Last Year?

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 78, Views: 729
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 5, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #5967245

I was hoping to find some seeds, but they don't seem to be available. This was a very nice container plant and looked nice with the strong fall yellows & oranges. It was planted in the same container as the Cappuccino rudbeckia - stunning together. Scented as well. I will definitely try to find this one again. (I did collect some seeds, but not sure where I had put them)

Chocolate Cosmos...If you find it, buy it!

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 5, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #5969867

My favorite was my Blue (purple) Wave Petunia. Know right where to get it again this Spring. Ravens in Grand Forks. :-)

Thumbnail by DonM47

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 5, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #5969925

DonM47,

Those are one of my must haves every year. I start them from seed. The Waves are very nice in containers and drape nicely. The Easywaves are a bit more upright and when we get to 12hours or less sunlight does stop the blooms. This year, I'm planning to try the Opera Supreme from seed. There isn't a blue, but the Pink Morn looks good. In the Stokes descriptions it states that has more flower power than the Waves. Tidal Waves are nice in a flower bed and are Huge.

threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

January 5, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #5970070

My fav. last year was the Profusion Zinnia. I was really impressed with its blooming, size and durability. Another must have in my garden is the orange Cosmos. Of course I have many favourites...Nicotiana, and OMG, my brain just went totally blank!! I hate when that happens...I'll mention them when they come to me...
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #5970842

Hmmmm... Easywave, hadn't heard of them. Must check that out, thanks, Joanne.

I did grow Profusion Zinnias one year too and was also very impressed with them. Drought tolerant as well. I am also impressed with those Chocolate Cosmos.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 6, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #5974988

My favourite was this double red Portulaca. Don't know what variety, but I bought a flat and tried it in this bone dry spot down by the street and it bloomed away happily all summer. I save lots of seeds and hope to start my own this summer. I hope they come true.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #5975107

I'm going to wade in here with two.
Number one: My favorite flower was the Chocolate Salpiglosis with the Kew blue one.
I had them in the same pot and they glowed in the dark. I had saved the seeds from the Chocolate and bought the Kew Blue ones. Now I've saved more for this year. They do benefit from planting lots close to gether as they hold each other up.
Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #5975118

I have a favorite Vegetable too and I used it in my Pots . It is the Japonica decorative Corn.
there was quite a bit of spooling and they had pink stripes in the leaves. I pulled the corn off in the fall and used for decoration at Thanksgiving.
This it the pot I used to hide the downspout.
Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52

threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

January 7, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #5975127

Great idea Ann!!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #5975281

Great info Ann. I have grown the Japonica corn the last few yeas and really like the different foliage colors. Have you seen it available in any of the 2009 catalogs. Can't seem to find it.

Great pictures everyone. I can't wait to get my seed orders in.
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #5975379

My favorite annual this year was wintersown cerinthe that Joannabanna grew and gave me a plant of. It was a gorgeous blue and grew together with a large dianthus plant that helped prop it up so it didn't look all leggy like cerinthe can. Can't believe I don't have a picture of it.

Joanne too Ü
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #5977126

Hmm, I was rethinking my post above - Joanne - you started that cerinthe inside, didn't you? It was Fancyvan who wintersowed hers. Anyway, it's gorgeous stuff...I'm going to start some this year, probably wintersown.

Joanne too.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #5977164

Yes, it was started Mid-March indoors. Kiwi Blue from Veseys. It is a big seedling, like a bean, so you need room for indoor starting. My heater went out in the Greenhouse once in subzero temps. The Cerinthe didn't seem to have been harmed by the low temp, it was below zero. I had lost quite a few of other plants. I had to transplant the cerinthe into 6" pots within 4 weeks of seeding them. They are quick to germinate.

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #5977166

Here's a week later

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 7, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #5977180

Here's a pic of the blooms, seed heads & seeds

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 7, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #5978366

Oh me, oh my...I only plant perrenials can't recall annuals...must have some though wouldn't I??? lol brain is turning, must go back and look at garden photo's...
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 8, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #5982212

non-edibles: all the little volunteer double portulaca (pinks and reds) volunteer bright red peony-flowered poppies, several different 'florist' sunflowers (deep maroon reds, bronzes, oranges) double click cosmos, zinnias, and my seed-saved honeyworts- cerinthe, kiwi blue love the colour/texture

edibles in the garden from saved seeds every year: red romaine lettuce, deertongue lettuce, yellow pear tomatoes, big rainbow tomatoes

annual-but-I-cut-slips-and-keep-overwinter-to-start-again-in-the-spring - pineapple sage, my favourite herb!

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #5982675

Gee, drivenbonkers, I hate to be OT here, but when you mentioned your yellow pear tomatoes, I had to ask if you know the name of any yellow cherry tomatoes? My neighbor had a slew of them and kept us "topped up" all summer and fall. They were the sweetest cherry tomatoes I have ever eaten, but he doesn't remember the name of them. I don't have room for tomatoes in my garden, but I'd sure grow a big potful of those sweethearts if I knew the name of them. Any ideas?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 9, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #5983962

Joanne
I got the Japonica Striped Maize from http://www.seedsavers.org two years ago. The package contained 25 seeds and I still have some left so I will be starting some to see if they germinate.
Would you like 1/2?
I love the Cerinthe too and I was pinching it to get it to branch a bunch and it stood up better then too. Folks at work thought it was something from outer space when they looked at them in my cut flowers.

Ann
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #5984557

hey Don! I don't know names of the different tomatoes, and I'm not a big cherry tomato fan to begin with. ;) I do remember seeing seed packets for yellow cherry tomatoes last spring, tho...

the yellow pear seeds are a heritage variety, got them at a 'Seedy Saturday' in Ottawa a couple of years ago. They are, in my opinion, the sweetest tomato, non acidy too. Perfect for eating off the plant warm from the sun... or halved in a salad... if you are interested I would send you some?
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 9, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #5984705

Ann,

I would love to have 6 seeds of the corn. I like to create a wall of corn at the back of my veggie garden. We could trade. I usually start a lot of stuff from seed. I will d-mail you my list.

DonM,

The Lois Hole's Tomato Favorites books has the Cherry tomato Sungold as the best tasting cherry tomato. West Coast Seeds has them.

Joanne
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #5985237

Thanks Joanne, I'll check out the Sungold type.

drivenbonkers, I would love to try them. Are they a full size tomato? Just thinking of growing in a large pot as opposed to in the ground. Think it would work? I will be home in April sometime...
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 9, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #5985425

Don the yellow pears are about 1-2 inches long, golden yellow in colour.

the plant is indeterminate, and last year mine grew over 8feet tall. I tied them to a 2x2 stake, and pruned suckers heavily

they would grow well in a large container if supported by a trellis/stake/fence/railing...

dmail me when you get home, send me your address and I'll pop some seeds in the mail.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #5985742

Thanks drivenbonkers, I'll do that. :-)
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 10, 2009

Post #5990381

I totally would say Sungold is the best tasting little tomato in the world!! It is very sweet and the plant grows like crazy. I had tons (not quite) of fruit off of my 2 plants. Caution they can get tall and I support them to as high as they grow and prune out the suckers in the middle.
Don't overwater or they will split on the vine.

Joanne, Yep I have 6 with your name on them. D mail your address and I will send them.

Ann
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 12, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #5994885

I grew cerinthe 3 years ago and i still get volunteer plants in the oddest places in the yard and yes i liked it too. but my favourite for the past 2 years has been the gazania. if you have a sunny spot they give you great bang for your buck and keep on blooming through frost to about -10 until there is too little daylight here to trigger blooms
DawnLL

(Zone 4a)

February 2, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #6080736

annabelle I just love how you used the corn in your pot! I never thought of using that. It looks great with the height of the plant and the smaller ones around it. I tend to use just the spikes but I like your idea much more!!! Good job!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 2, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6081362

Thanks DawnLL
They were a pleasant surprize and the corn cobs were very decorative too.
Ann
DawnLL

(Zone 4a)

February 3, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6085662

My favourite always tend to be the petunia's - they always do great for me. This was one of my favourite containers last summer. I think it is because I grew the bacopa from seed and it did so well.

Thumbnail by DawnLL

violist
Calgary
Canada

February 15, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6140353

This is an interesting topic and I scribbled furiously as I read. I am off to the seed catalogues to look for the ornamental corn and chocolate cosmos.

As for my own favorite annuals: the many unusual variegated leaf geraniums and black leafed geraniums, Carmencita castor beans, ornamental cabbages in the rose colored hues, anagallis, cardoon, cleome, and nicotiana sylvestris. The Bolero mix salpiglossis is right up there too.

Maybe it is just me, I ended up ripping out most of my cerinthe, I did not like that plant. Obviously I am missing something here. Mine was sprawling everywhere and looking really lame.

Theresa

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6142414

Lemon Mint, Monarda citriodora

I really hope it reseeds.

Thumbnail by billyporter

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

February 15, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #6142979

Love the color, Billy. And a hummingbird magnet, I understand. Good luck with it reseeding. :-)
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 16, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6147605

Theresa
Hi My Cerinthe was great. I thought it was a bit leggy so I pinched a lot and then grouped the plants in a bunch at each site. That seemed to do the trick and they had strong stems and looked great as a bunch. I found the same method worked with my salpiglossis.
They also looked super in bunches of flowers for picking. I loved the color.
Ann

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6147669

Thanks DonM47.

Prairie Sun sunflower. Easy to grow and another I hope reseeds.

Thumbnail by billyporter

violist
Calgary
Canada

February 18, 2009
8:04 AM

Post #6154752

Okay Ann will try cerinthe again. I think salpiglossis is great so we must have the same taste. Joanne, I just saw chocolate cosmos in the Breck catalogue, a plant, listed as a perennial! I am sure it is, somewhere. Maybe Holland.

Theresa
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 18, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6155079

Isn't that Breck's catalogue drool-ishious Theresa??? Until you go check Garden Watch Dog... :(

I had a nice little list of stuff to order, but I don't think I will - too many recent negatives.

Joanne
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 18, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6155953

Guys I ordered from Brecks in the Fall and the Alliums that I got were undersized and some were moldy. I couldn't get through to anyone who would talk about it then so I sent an email which was not returned , I will NOT be getting anything through Brecks again. My order was about 120.00 too!
Just be careful and if Brecks has it someone else will too. Last year I found these plants flourishing at the Arch green house in Edmonton.
Ann
violist
Calgary
Canada

February 20, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #6163907

I try to order a bit more locally anyway but thanks for the warning. It is however FUN to look at the photos in February. Theresa
digging_dirt
comebychance, NL
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6206512

this was my favorate annual of 2008,when it started flowering it never stoped.
Its a Dahalia called Patricha i love the color.

Thumbnail by digging_dirt

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6206815

Beautiful Diggingdirt! Orange colors are catching my eye this year.
a5footsea
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6245745

My favourites last year were 'Molten Lava' and 'Copper Glow' Oxalis...technically a 'tender perennial' that I have been able to over-winter some years in the garage, but most years it doesn't survive. Fills out a space very quickly and blooms all season.

Photo is of Molten Lava

Thumbnail by a5footsea

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

March 10, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #6246479

Nice!
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6247191

Oh, that's pretty!
ALBERTAROSEY
Champion, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 11, 2009
7:39 AM

Post #6250583

Just love poppies...Albertarosey

Thumbnail by ALBERTAROSEY

digging_dirt
comebychance, NL
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #6254791

ohhhh i love that oxalis,love poppies as will,

Thumbnail by digging_dirt

violist
Calgary
Canada

March 14, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6264985

Beautiful oxalis! Does it do better in sun or shade? I have not had great success putting my purple oxalis outdoors.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 14, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6266762

I had mine in AM sun till about 1030 only and it was protected by dappled shade for the rest of the day. It was in a big pot with black eyed susan vines. It loved it outside and didn't get burnt or leggy I fed it the timed released granule food. Any one else with info?
Ann.

violist
Calgary
Canada

March 15, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6270249

Thanks Ann, can you describe the overwintering part?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2009

Post #6271600

I think because zone 7 is that much warmer you could put the plants in a protected spot and there maybe a survival chance. Here we would need to bring it indoors for sure.
I know that with my Canna's, I allow them to go dormant outside and then cut them back, clean off the soil and pack them into big rubbermaid containers and store them in the basement where it is like a big fridge.
I don't know if that would work with the Oxalis maybe a5footsea could answer this one.
It's always worth a try as you maybe pleasantly surprised.
Ann
violist
Calgary
Canada

March 16, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6274724

I am zone 3, just like Edmonton only without the snow cover! Do you bring it in as a houseplant or let it go dormant inside?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 17, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6282126

I'm not sure but if you have a south window maybe it would make it.
Does anyone else have an idea?
Ann
a5footsea
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #6292966

Hi Violist,

I read somewhere that if you cut back an oxalis and bring it indoors like a houseplant, it should do well with minimal care, like indirect light and water. During the season outdoors - my yellow varieties do very well in part shade and almost full shade, also morning sun. They look great beside hostas.

This photo is June Hosta and Oxalis Copper Glow

The purple I find more difficult and it doesn't bloom as much outdoors, but indoors, does just fine.

Thumbnail by a5footsea

violist
Calgary
Canada

March 22, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6303129

Thanks, that is a beauty!
DawnLL

(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6305067

That actually is a very pretty plant...I don't think I have ever noticed those before.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6305451

my best annuals last year I have to double impatients in dark pink and white and also the geraniums, I got all of them from veseys a slips and they looked so lovely that I brought them all inside and they are still growing and blooming

they will go back out at the end of may mind you a lot bigger than last year

Thumbnail by scicciarella

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6307513

Oxalis regnelli can take incredible abuse. I keep them in pots indoors, and sometimes don't water them for weeks. They become completely dry and look dead. But when I pull out the dessicated looking little bulbs there are always a billion of them. I pot them in fresh soil, give them water, and within weeks they are lush and blooming. I've done this over and over again to them - I first bought them about six years ago.

Donna
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6307546

I planted some last year and they didnt do well for me lol
was not implessed
maybe the wrong kind of oxalis I know there are different kinds
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6308046

Regnelli is the kind with the green leaves and white flowers. Now that I think about it, the kind with the purple leaves (atropurpurea) didn't work for me either.

Donna
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6309192

now this year I am growing japanese morning glories for the first time
I have been growing the regular ones for year
and yesterday I found a bud on one plant then this morning three more plants have buds but they are only six inches tall
its crazy how excited I was to find those buds
I planted them mid january
didnt expect them to bud for another month or two

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6309469

Your Japanese morning glories are wonderful!

Donna
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #6309668

thanks cant wait to see the flower this is just a tease since I cant even see what color its going to be yet

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6314350

A5footsea, molton lava is really neat! I had no idea there was any other type other than the common one. Oohhh, more gorgeous ones!

I love poppies too and both are beautiful!

Scicciarella, impatiens are so much color for such a simple plant. I love singles and doubles. I really love your color! Wow, the J MG look good! I can't wait to see a picture of them too!
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6314631

I will post pics of the blooms for the japanese morning glories as soon as they open I am so excited about them doing so well inside

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6314750

They look really nice. How tall/long will they get?
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6314764

like most gallardia they get about 14 inches tall with the flowers and about 15 or so wide what is so nice about this plant is that it will bloom from june to snow if dead headed on a regular basis

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009

Post #6314789

Giggling, how about the morning glory?

Which gaillardia do you have? I have those that come back random colors. I planted all yellow and had many with red on them the next year. They get a couple of feet tall.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6314795

I have the red and the and the yellow in the garden and now I grew this one from seed today I checked to find about 100 or so babies coming up
I am thrilled since this one is very expensive about 15 dollars or more per plant

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #6314822

Is that Oranges and Lemons?
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6314829

yes

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #6314840

I ordered one this year. I couldn't find seeds. I love the color!! I hope it comes true from seeds since I had to get the plant!

Suppertime, hope to get back tomorrow.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6314879

I stole the seeds at tim hortons coffee shop lol the seed head kept calling my name so I took a couple the next week I saw the gardening guys pulling them all out lol so I asked why they pulled perennials and they said the boss told them to take everything out except the bushes lol I guess the boss didnt know that they come back but to late for the plants they used the mulcher on them lol a few minutes earlier and I would have taken them all home

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6318449

ROTFL!!! I would, and have, done the same thing!! I'd have done my darndest to get all the plants tho. I just love them. I don't know why. They aren't showy, but the colors call my name too!
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #6318642

I have gotten myself into trouble taking seeds at garden centers lol they dont like people taking the seeds off the plants lol hahhahah oh well then they should deadhead the plants right Im right right if they are there they are meant to be taken hahahhahah
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 25, 2009

Post #6318762

That's very funny!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6318862

I'll bet they were suprised to catch you. I've never tried that. I feel bad taking from the neighborhood :o)
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6319974

I just knock on the door and ask people I complement them on how beautifull their lanscaping is and then ask if I can have a few seeds and they usually collect them for me and give me a baggie to put them in hahahhaha flatery will get you everything with gardeners ahahhahah I know it always works with me

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6332258

Scicciarella, that's a good way to do it. I was re-reading my last post and it wasn't very well written. I know almost everyone here in town and would just filch a few. I'd feel sneaky about it tho.

I do trade plants with the few folks who actually grow flowers here. Not very many have really large beds with a big selection.

I really need to grow more annuals.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6337058

annuals are great since they all mostly make seeds, I always allow my annuals to make seeds at the end of the season and I collect them for the next year so I only buy each kind one time and save lots of money that way since buying the plants is to expensive.
my house is a jungle right now since I started to sow seeds in january which are the tender perennials that I what to have bloom the same year then the hardy perennials and for the past three weeks I have been planting annuals this week is vegi week, I cant wait to start planting these babies outside since I really miss having a house lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6350025

Scicciarella, I've been trying more annuals now. Some re-seed very well and those I did last year, I hope will be hardy enough. Cuphea came back for me and I wasn't expecting that. I hear you on expense. The perennials are getting unaffordable. I invested in a few propagation books instead.

I got behind on sowing. I did more seeds yesterday. The peppers and monarda Bergamo, from the first sowing are breaking thru now.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America