-
AuthorContent
laura10801
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 5, 2009
5:25 AM

Post #5967774

I live in zone 6B near the border of CT and NY. I would like to try growing a mum, but I don't really know where to start. How much space do I need? I could find a square foot or two of space in my sunny beds, and more in shady places. Are there any particularly good cultivars? I would love to use them for cut flowers and the longer the blooming period, the better (heh, I guess we all feel that way about most flowers). I'd rather start off with a seedling than start from seed, when is the best time to get started planting?

I appreciate any advice you have to offer.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #6005442

Here is a link with information about mum seeds. I am too lazy to grow them from seed and their seeds are outrageously small so, when I once tried, it was difficult to spread them (evenly). The article says you get about 45,000 seeds per ounce of weight so imagine that. I ended with too many plants growing too close together and had a hard time separating them once they got big enough to transfer to a bigger pot.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/mumseeds.html
dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6024730

Hi, Laura - I LOVE mums!! I'm in 5a, so my tips may change a bit for your warmer climate, but generally, here's what I've learned.

To have a hardy mum through at least two years (it is a sensitive perennial here, and only blooms well for me for one year), I plant in early Fall. I change out the mums every other year -- so that first year is to get them established, and they bloom Beautifully the second year.

Plant about 2' apart or more if you'd like mounded mums.

Snip back the foliage through about July 4 to 12-18" tall. After July 4, let grow as the blooms are set.

That's about it -- if you plant in the Fall and water deeply and well through the Fall, they will not need supplemental water the next year. About 1" per week is just fine. Too much water, and they can get leggy.

Here's a few pics of mine -- as you can see, I LOVE the color in the fall.

First, some bright yellow in back, with coleus in between with marigolds in front -

Thumbnail by dax080
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6024745

Here's a combo or white and deep gold - these are all garden mums I picked up on sale at a big box store, frankly. I believe Menard's, and they were about $2 apiece. Because they really aren't long-term perennials here, I don't like to spend alot of money.

Thumbnail by dax080

dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6024751

And here is the street mailbox garden with purples and lavenders, marigolds, sedum, and some fall hardscape --

My biggest break through was when I didn't expect or let them to bloom the first year - snipped off the blooms when they were planted. As you can see, I found that by doing that they were large and healthy that second year. You can't see, but tucked in amongst those mums are small ones that were just planted that year --

Hope this helps - Dax

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 1:08 PM

Thumbnail by dax080

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #7025836

Am in zone 5a, as above.

The most vigorous hardy perennial chryanthemums I've used here are the Chysanthemum x rubellum forms 'Clara Curtis' and 'Mary Stoker'. The former is more compact and manageable.

Have also got Chrysanthemum x morifolium, as well as the cultivar 'Mei Kyo' (a darkish mauvish pink button-hole form). Latter grows very well, but blooms infuriatingly late (into? November) for mixed perennial beds.

Would say only about one in twenty (+) non-hardy mums lasts from year to year here. It must be that they're in favoured locations and it seems to happen with yellowy-orangy coloured mums.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #7126689

Dax, your mums look lovely. I really like your combinations along with your other fall decor.

Of the mums that I planted last year, all but the yellows have returned. It's odd, I bought them all together and maybe 3 out of 20 yellows came back.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mums and Asters Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mum's the Word... SILLYLILY 18 Nov 23, 2009 6:47 PM
Aster Blue Ribbon Sue_WA 8 Nov 27, 2009 11:54 PM
Pinching back mums...... orange_knickers 11 Aug 17, 2007 5:16 AM
Cutting back fall Asters? rainy_jane 27 Aug 30, 2007 3:26 PM
How many others have lost their mum? leaflady 40 Jul 9, 2007 1:56 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America