-
AuthorContent
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 7, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #5975191

I always wanted to be a pirate, so I guess I will sieze this thread...

Paris>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #5975432

Thanks!

We came from part 1 here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/33448/
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

January 7, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #5976114

Dale I lived in Cole Valley. SF is great but I am loving Portland. It's like SF 20 years ago.
Love the Paris photo!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

January 7, 2009
7:57 AM

Post #5976254

A little warmer here this early morning - around minus 3 - 4 F. Not the type of day for setting seed :-(( I never thought I'd say this but I'm looking forward to the rain that's supposed to hit this W/E.
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #5977727

well it's raining here today - makes a change and it has been 80* F. my children tell me it's freezing in Windsor & Devon, I told them to come over to Mummy where it's lovely and warm.
madym03
Davidson, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #5989982

I live in Davidson NC, and I am so ready for spring, I have a new garden.
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

January 10, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #5990396

Gloomy & cold here in Oregon today. The Willamette River, which runs through Portland, is very high and turbulent from the rain & melting snow. It's a good weekend to sit by the fireplace and read.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #5990517

Turned milder here at last tonight, up to 6°C, and forecast to be 10° tomorrow.

Resin
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 11, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #5990540

Heat wave!!

Eye candy from last summer>

Twincol
Fresno, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 29, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6337425

Hi, folks, Linda here, in the Central Valley of California. It is 69 degrees Fahrenheit (20.5 degrees Celsius) today, 10 degrees F (-12 degrees C) lower than yesterday. The sun is shining and the wind is blowing 20-25 mph (32-40 kilometers per hour), with gusts to 40 mph (64 km per hour) eeeeek! Darned wind keeps blowing my gates closed.

We are in the center of California, a valley 450 miles (724 km) long, averaging 50 miles wide (80 km), 19,000 square miles (30,580 km), resting at sea level. On a clear day you can see the mountains on both sides, an amazing sight. We are a major agricultural center for the US; the largest center of fruit and vegetable production in the US (if memory serves me correctly), and a major milk supplier, as well.

My heart, BTW, is in Cirencester, England http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5522887 as I contemplate my garden. This link is the back yard of my maternal immigrant grandfather's home on Coxwell Street, which we visited about 5 years ago. The sheep at the top of the photo speaks to the family's woolstapler residence/business originally resting here.

My favorite plant, one I cannot live without, is Ajuga in all of it's glorious colors, now including silver (woohoooo). There are numerous others which decorate my garden and make my soul sing, but Ajuga covers a multitude of sins and roots and ground of all sorts. You can walk on it or watch it just grow; plant it in the earth or in a pot. It survives summers and winters here, with either too much or too little moisture. It's an awesome ground cover.

Least favorite? How on EARTH my nutsedge got so far afield as to contaminate the rest of your gardens is what I want to know?

I am delighted to introduce myself and enjoying the rest of you do so as well.

Linda
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6367538

Hi Linda,
It's nice and warm down here in Central Florida too. I am from London, but have been to Gloucester as well - for the cricket!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 10, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6392558

I am still in Florida...is everyone in the EU still taking their winter nap?

Spring is almost over for us>

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6392725

Dale, I think they are all frozen and wet, but I am going over in a couple of weeks so I can check up!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 10, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #6393137

Well, I say it's time to get the party started over there...

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6404016

Dale, I will be travelling around a bit visiting friends and family -if they don't party - I will throw a tantrum! But not north of the Watford Gap!
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

April 14, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #6409550

Planting broad beans in the rain here - it's pretty cold rain too. Brrrr not time for bedding plants!
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 1, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #6487367

Its already blazing hot here, temperatures in the 80's already! Wish it would rain, rain, rain! Everything is so terribly dry! I'm from the hot tropics of southern Florida (zone 10+) where everything grows quite happily 12 months of the year...but I cant get Sweet Peas to grow in my garden! Sigh!

I plant mainly for fragrance, ... butterflies, beauty, rarity and just because...I love walking around the garden by day and evening, breathing in the wafting fragrances. I have 3 bird baths, each one filled with birds wanting to cool off. Having bird feeders close by helps to attract them as well. Parrots, orioles, mocking birds, cardinals, even an osprey has plopped into the birdbath and simply sat there for ages, cooling off. Parrots are always around as I have sunflower feeders near the birdbaths, forever squawking away, particularly when they think I've neglected to fill the feeders!

I have some fragrant violets surviving very well in the garden despite the intense heat.. Viola Odorata is seeding prolifically. A tropical Viola Odorata grown in full sun, passed on to me by a family who has been here for 40 years seems to have adapted to these harsh conditions extremely well. Talk about plants adapting to alien environments

If anyone has Cionura Oreophila Vine growing in their garden I'd love to know of its cultivation, flowering, seeding etc. Plantsman Nursury carried it in their old catalogue, but they dont ship to the USA. If anyone has seeds, I'd swop most generously for this vine! I believe its extremely fragrant and beautiful. Would love to hear comments about it!

A photo of a tropical shrub, Jatropha . A butterfly attractor.

This message was edited May 1, 2009 1:18 AM

This message was edited May 1, 2009 1:20 AM

Thumbnail by bedouin

roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

June 2, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6632484

It's blazing hot here too and no, I'm not kidding and errr yes, this is Ireland. My lilies and irises are wilting and you can actually see tomato plants and cukes growing!!! I got some passiflora molissima threatening to outdo Jack's beanstalk. Oh isn't it wonderful to have a summer for a change.
:-))
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

June 2, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #6632536

Our summer here in Portland, Oregon has been sunny and lovely, after a rainy cold spring. Today is a little different - cloudy and a few sprinkles. I wouldn't mind some more rain today!
Do you grow vegetables every year there? If so, how do you cope with the limited sun? It seems like my tomatoes are growing 12 inches every night!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 4, 2009
10:08 AM

Post #6639897

I am still in the near tropics...

Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

June 4, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6640677

We are expecting more thunder and rain later today and then sun for the next week so everything will grow fast and bloom a lot. Things grow like crazy here!

Thumbnail by Portland1

roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

June 5, 2009
10:11 AM

Post #6644699

We grow hardy veg all year round - things that can take a degree or three of frost. Cabbages, kale, turnips, swede, brocolli (the real stuff) to name but a few. But there's nothing to beat summer veg. I always look forward to the first tomato and then can't wait for them to ripen. Just have to have the first one GREEN lol.
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 7, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6653674

Rosie, Where in Ireland is Belturbet, it's not a name I am familiar with. Madeleine
Orange_Blossom
Ennis
Ireland

July 10, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6803983

Hi you garden lovers,

I live in the west of Ireland & am new to this site. I love gardening. I have some hydrangeas, rudbeckias, alliums, daylilies - cant rem Latin name - Haemorcalis? I also have fuschias, marigolds, nasturtiums, some clematis and much more & lots of weeds..!
I also have herbs, lettuce, cabbage & some tomatoes in a cold greenhouse + many geraniums.

I would love to hear from other gardeners who love their garden whether big or small.
Bernie
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6804327

Bernie,

Welcome to Dave's.

I love all the plants you mentioned, especially Fuchsia & Clematis. I have moved to Florida and they won't grow here, expcept as annuals. I have had to adjust the plants I grow. Pelargoniums in the winter and coleus in summer.

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 11, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6806352

That's true, I tried clematis here, and was very disapointed when it didn't last, I had quite a few in UK, Bernie they have some really lovely day lillies here - as yet I haven't planted any - and they also have some stuff they call shamrock - well we all know that only real shamrock will grow in Ireland. But the Hibiscus are amazing here, all sorts of wonderful colours and quite huge, my garden here is enormous compared to my 50' x 15' in UK, and a lot harder work in the heat. If you think you have a lot of weeds - you should see here after a rain shower, which is a downpour compared, it doesn't cool the weather down and is back in the 90's at once. But I love it! Madeleine
Portland1
(Judi)Portland, OR

July 11, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6806396

We are lucky to have a lot of wonderful clematis plants here. Oregon is perfect for them. I think our weather is similar to Ireland except out winters are not as cold. Bernie, you should check out the Pacific Northwest forum! Roseimp, I would love to know what kind of broccoli you grow.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2009
9:54 PM

Post #6894976

Still here>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7055366

I escaped Florida for 2 weeks, went to California. Want to see the photos?

This message was edited Sep 12, 2009 12:44 PM

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #7063041

Dale That must have been nice and warm for you :-)
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 14, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #7063607

On the west coast the summer temps rarely break 70F (22C). Best holiday in years.

Twincol
Fresno, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #7065608

Uuuhh, Dale? 70F (22C)?!?!!! . . . It was 100+ all week last week in Fresno. You must mean, really mean the west coast, not to be confused with the Central Valley of the West Coast {chuckling}. Are the beaches in Florida warmer than our beaches? I believe I understand that your ocean water is warmer than is our Pacific Coast coastal waters, but ambient temperatures? Not a clue. I've not been to FL in the summer, only in the Fall/winter.

I'd love to see your vacation pics. It'd be cool to see pics from non-Californians. It would be fascinating to see what you found interesting on the opposite coast.

Linda

BTW, you have just got to see this front yard!

edited for punctuation (geez)

This message was edited Sep 14, 2009 8:51 PM

Thumbnail by Twincol

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
9:50 AM

Post #7065995

Linda,
Florida water temps are around 87F (31C) at this time of year.

Those topiary in your photo are a real 'work in progress'.

I prefer a 'neater' plant arrangement>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
9:51 AM

Post #7065997

A yard with a view is a big plus for city folks>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
9:53 AM

Post #7065999

I like topiaries that are a compliment to the garden, Filoli Gardens has them>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
9:55 AM

Post #7066000

Filoli was a little too orange in some of their beds>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #7066002

They did much better with this bed>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
9:58 AM

Post #7066003

I guess I haven't mentioned that I lived in San Francisco from 1985 to 1999, working as a gardener?

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
10:04 AM

Post #7066006

I enjoyed revisiting the Community Garden near the top of Potrero Hill, my old neighborhood>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
10:07 AM

Post #7066008

Geranium are not always well liked, I always enjoy their gaudy color. At the Embarcadero>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #7066009

Geraniums (Pelargonium) should be used more often along the coast>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
10:10 AM

Post #7066010

There are 100's of Pelargonium species and hybrids

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
10:11 AM

Post #7066013

When at the public gardens I try and get the ID tag into the photo for future reference

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
10:18 AM

Post #7066017

I have many files on the computer. One is called Compositions.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
10:20 AM

Post #7066019

I should sub-title it 'Nice plant combos'

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
10:23 AM

Post #7066025

I have another file called 'Plants' for ID purposes, they I give the file (photo) the name of the plant that caught my eye. The file name of this one is 'Pelargonium reniforme'.

This plant would make a very nice edging plant in a garden with low water needs.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
10:26 AM

Post #7066027

When I see a nice combo of plants...

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
10:28 AM

Post #7066028

...I try and shoot the combo low, gives it a little 'drama".

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
10:30 AM

Post #7066029

I am not very good at framing large landscape shots, but, I try a few to give my 'collection' a sense of place.

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7067043

Well I will be passing through UK next month on my way east, I shall stay 2 days to break journey both ways - but it will be October and unless it's an Indian Summer I expect it to be cold - and worse coming back in November - BUT I am heading to a hot spot - Karachi! where the garden is much the same as here - same stuff grows only it's desert not swamp.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 15, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #7067503

Get some photos...

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7070380

I will do that, and post them when I get back - November 11th
Twincol
Fresno, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2009
4:28 AM

Post #7083120

Dale, these are wonderful pics. Awesome! Thanks for sharing them with us. The "garden with a view" in The City is very pretty. I especially liked the pink and violet flowers in the foreground; they are lovely. And the garden with the stone path is gorgeous. Is that a photo from when you lived there?

The pics of the geraniums are lovely. I have a difficult time keeping them moist enuf here in Fresno. Orange isn't one of your favorite colors, huh? The remaining photos following the orange beds display a mixture of colors which are certainly eye-catching, aren't they?

Your photos sure illustrate a vacation visit which was an eye candy adventure. So, if I'd known you were in SF I'd have understood your temps. I used to drive from Fresno to San Francisco every two weeks for violin lessons. Made that trip over nearly three years and never really adjusted to how the seasons always seemed to be reversed from our inland seasons. Winters in SF were bright and sunny, warmer; summers were overcast, foggy, cooler. Very odd juxtaposition. But I never have lost my love of The City since childhood and living in Walnut Creek, with my father's office in Oakland. We visited SF often. When I had an opportunity to attend The University of San Francisco "up on the hill," in my late 30's, I jumped at the chance. If I were to move out of Fresno with a choice to go wherever I wanted, my first choice would be The Cotswolds in England, my second, San Francisco, an international city in its own right.

Thanks for uploading the photos of your vacation. And, BTW, if you mean that the topiary garden is a "work in progress" because it will grow up, change, I've bad news for you. It's looked like this for a number of years. But, if you mean that the "work in progress" is continually working on it, I'd guess you are right. Imagine keeping all those topiaries under control.

Linda

Here's a path I poured several years ago to maneuver between a bed next to the house foundation and a 10X10 foot concrete patio pad, speaking of paths.

Thumbnail by Twincol

Twincol
Fresno, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2009
7:54 AM

Post #7115528

103 degrees (39C) Sunday, 73 degrees (23C) Wednesday!!! Wahoo! Finally. Life is good!

Linda

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #7117549

73 degrees oh blimey -that's freezin!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 30, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #7118491

I like daytime highs in the 60's.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #7120119

18 here today, pleasant. But forecast to get colder tonight, dropping to 5 or 6 behind a cold front.

Resin
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 30, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #7121074

Our high for today was 29C...cool by our standards.

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7123974

Yes, but I like the upper 20's, I am hoping it's going to warm up over there with an Indian Summer when I stop over later this month! Otherwise it's a quick trip over the road to Tesco and back to bed till the next flight onwards.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #7124092

[quote]Our high for today was 29C...cool by our standards.[/quote]
That would be a near record-breaking blistering hot day here! The absolute maximum here is 30°C.

Today, 14°C, but sunny most of the day - quite pleasant in shelter from the N breeze, but cold in it.

Resin
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

October 10, 2009
9:47 AM

Post #7154009

Dear Resin, my mother and her family came from Consett County Durham and it could get a bit cold up there. My father and his family came from Nothallerton in north Yorkshire and then moved to a cottage near Blubberhouse moor, I lived there till I was eight.
It could get very cold on the moor! We all moved down to London due to my fathers work, it was quite hot here to what I was used to living on the side of the moor. Now I live on the London, Kent border, so it was quite amusing to see my six year old in February of this year amazed with snow.
We do get the odd sprinkle, but for where we live we did get quite a bit this year, and the temperature dropped to -12.2℉, which is cold for us.
I go every year to see the family up north and to see my aunt in Fraserburgh, which is in Aberdeenshire and it is bad in the winter up there.
It is quite pleasant at the moment as it is 53.6℉ which I believe is 12℃, although they say in the centre of London it could go up to 64.4℉ or 18℃.
Regards form London/Kent.
Neil.
p.s. I was most worried about my Dicksonia antarctica (s), they did have some straw on them but they did come through that cold snap fine.
I enclose a picture I took this morning.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 10, 2009
10:58 AM

Post #7154054

We are still waiting for temps to drop below 20C here in Florida

marijcke
rimons
France

October 11, 2009
7:17 AM

Post #7156981

hi,
i am new to this site and am looking for people who live in france, preferably the southwest to share gardening woes and joys with. this is my first garden - now in its sixth year, and i am learning all the time. is there anyone out there with experience of this climate, the soils and the availability of trades for this area? i am dutch, retired seem to have inherited my mother's green thumb.

Thumbnail by marijcke

seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #7157226

I am off to even warmer climate next Monday, but stopping off in Windsor for 2 days break journey, that's the cold bit then off to Karachi, I will take pictures of the Garden and also try to capture the eagles that are always flying overhead and the green parakeets, lots of crows, but not much else on the bird seen. I have a better camera this time so I will see what I can do, but I am no David Bailey!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #7157246

Marijcke, you should probably start your own thread here about gardening in the south of France, to smoke out people who would be interested in your topic. I started a thread on growing melons the French way, and others have posted about typically French crops in the Rocket, Radicchio, Frisée and Mâche thread. I'm not in France but I really admire French gardens so I grow a lot of French varieties here and often have questions. I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences.

Welcome to Dave's Garden!
lortay
Navan
Ireland

November 3, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #7236528

Hi Dale,
I am not sure what is the basic idea of this site but I enjoyed the photos of plant combinations. It would be nice to know what the plants used are called. ( I am a bit of a plant I.d. freak.)
Cheers.
lortay
Navan
Ireland

November 3, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #7236702

As:
Combination of plants in shade: Primula helodoxa, ferns, Variegated Hosta, Astilbe foliage and backed by Iris. (I know this is a bit vague, but it was the first one I came across)

Thumbnail by lortay

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 3, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #7238155

Lortay,

Almost all my photos are taken in public places. I don't know the names of most plants - I just like their looks.

lortay
Navan
Ireland

November 5, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #7244127

Nice one Dale. These are Digitalis purpurea, all the colours harmonise really well.
This is Allium 'Purple Sensation' with Cynara (background) and Astrantia 'Sunningdale Variegated' in front.
Enjoy

Thumbnail by lortay

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 5, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #7245054

One of my favorite places to photograph flowers is in front of the Conservatory in San Francisco.

Ageratum, Wax leaved Begonia and some Marigolds that really need deadheading...

lortay
Navan
Ireland

November 9, 2009
10:19 AM

Post #7255276

This one is just foliage in May, Stachys lanata, Hosta fortunei and Astelia chatamica. Maybe there is a plant combination thread??

Thumbnail by lortay

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #7255430

Lortay,

Nice combo.

You might want to visit the Cottage Gardening or Perennial forums...I don't know of any particular threads dealing with composition, but, this is a big site with hundreds of threads.

Astelia>

lortay
Navan
Ireland

November 9, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7256049

Nice one, Dale, I will check out the cottage gardening. I had a look at perennials already but they don't seem to have anything on this.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2009
10:38 PM

Post #7257295

The search continues...

Pelargonium display>

lortay
Navan
Ireland

November 11, 2009
12:12 PM

Post #7262687

I will lob this one back. Abutilon x suntense 'Jermyns' with Rosa glauca, Belvedere gardens, Mullingar, Ireland. (I'm upping the stakes!)

Thumbnail by lortay

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 12, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #7265262

Hmmmm...

Agave and Gaillardia>

lortay
Navan
Ireland

November 13, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #7269551

Nice combination of form (if this is Yucca gloriosa 'Variegata', I have it coming into flower now (4 spikes) just in time for the frosts to get it probably ( oh, well, I got one good one already).
This is herbaceous foliage, mostly, in Glenarm, Co. Antrim. Euphorbia palustris with Rodgersia and other stuff, in May.

Thumbnail by lortay

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #7270994

Adonidia palm, variegated Schefflera, Ti plants (hybrid Cordyline)>

marijcke
rimons
France

December 8, 2009
7:44 AM

Post #7347810

Thanks for your answer, greenhouse-gal!
I have no idea how to start a thread, am not experienced in this on-line interacting.
I have just packed my banana and orange trees in bags and sheets of special wintering foils - it'll be the first time the orange is staying outside. It is getting too big to move.
I still need to do some pruning of some rose bushes, but I think it may be too late now, for minus 6 C temperatures are expected early next week.
I had a spry 81 year old genteleman visiting me this week - he prunes fruit trees for a friend of mine, and agreed that mine needed a lot of work. He seems willing to teach my garden help how to do it. That too will have to wait a bit now till after the frosts.
If there is anyone who has experience with roses in southwest France - tell me what you do. My roses seem to have a will of their own, Some are fine and others terrible.
We don't seem to have a lot of biological gardening stuff around here and I hate to use the poisons...
The rose in the picture is one I am growing from a cutting taken from a friend's garden. I have no idea what it is, but I love it. I have two plants growing about 3 feet apart. One looks fine the other has yellow leaves and is scrawny. Why?

Thumbnail by marijcke

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #7347920

Marijcke, here's a new thread that I set up for you with the subject "Gardening in Southwest France." To start a new topic, go to the main forum that you're posting in (here, European Gardening), and at the bottom you'll see in bold words "Starting a new topic:" You just have to type in a subject and then below it your first message.

I think if we have a specific thread for your questions about French gardening you'll be more likely to attract people who might have answers for you, or at least want to discuss the topic with you. And then I can read them too!

Check it out -

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1061522/

Leslie
bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7830819

Off topic but I think very important, please read this thread...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101381/
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 26, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7831419

There seems to be a chill in the air in every forum, hopefully that will change.

This is what I like to talk about>

bonitin
Gent
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7834628

Dale if you care about the spirit in which this garden was created then you would care what is being done to its very creator Dave himself and his family!
Myriam
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2010
8:39 AM

Post #7835963

Myriam,

If I could give Dave the name of a good lawyer I would, but, other than that the only thing I can do is withdraw my support of this site.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other European Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing Sweet Peas what is the English Secret? gardendragon 22 May 1, 2009 4:40 AM
where are you? mark 265 Apr 18, 2009 12:30 AM
calling all Irish gardeners mark 53 May 18, 2011 6:49 AM
Old Address in Edinburgh Dinu 7 Mar 26, 2013 10:31 AM
What's occuring in the backyard? Baa 201 Jun 2, 2007 12:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America