Photo by Melody

Needle Arts: Does anyone know anything about antique spinning wheels?

Communities > Forums > Needle Arts
bookmark
Forum: Needle ArtsReplies: 6, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #5975229

I just got this antique spinning wheel today. It belonged to the grandmother of someone who I guess to be in her mid 40s. Her grandmother lived in Germany and the lady I brought it from came here from Germany in her teens. It needs a small fix, but otherwise the wheel runs nicely. It has a foot treadle and as you can see it has these white headed pin tacks all the way around. I'm not sure if they are original - they feel cold to the touch, like they might be glass and not plastic. What, if anything, can anyone tell me about my new wheel.

I am just starting to learn drop spindle spinning, and the opportunity to own this wheel came up because of a small furniture repair that DH did for somebody - it was in exchange for the work. I am excited to learn to use it, but also interested in learning more about it.

Thanks for any info!
Claire

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #5975238

Here is a picture of it a little closer up

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

January 7, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #5975243

One more.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 7, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #5975386

I don't know what kind of wheel that is. I have a Saxony type wheel and it's configured differently. I built my wheel in college and we all learned to spin from our county extension service in NH - that was many, many years ago. It was for shearing sheep.

Here is a link to a site that show many different styles. http://www.pacificwoolandfiber.com/Spinning%20Wheels.htm

Also Knitters Review has a spinning section - someone there might be able to help you.
fiberholic
Saint David, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 7, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #5977709

Ohhhhhh! Lucky you.
Also, check out [http://spwhsl.com/default.htm]
She has lots of info on antique wheels and a section for reader questions.
Good luck,
fiberholic
knitterkim
Elkins Park, PA

April 10, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #6392844

Claire,

That looks like an antique parlor wheel, which fits what you know of it's original location and time frame. The white "botton" pieces are probably ivory, which would also fit the period.

The Spinning Wheel Sleuth is an excellant resource for more information about antique wheels. Their website is http://www.spwhsl.com/ and they produce a newsletter, but also answer questions.

Welcome to the world of spinning and antique spinning wheels. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
ElizBlackwell

September 18, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #7076175

Dear Claire,

Your lovely little lady is a German flax wheel, definitely 19th century. The little white things are either bone or ivory,( possibly china, but that's least likely.) There's one missing in the left side of your picture. What's the other repair?

By this time, I hope you've learned to use it and enjoy your spinning. If you need more help, please contact me at : thedailyplanet@toast.net or see my web site at web.me.com/dances.with.wheels (please use Mozilla Firefox or Safari and put this in your URL because Google hasn't picked it up yet.) Yes, I do repairs and love restoring these old ladies to their prime! : >)
Lois Lane/ Eliz Blackwell (my computer "handle")

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Needle Arts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Crochet! celia 23 Nov 21, 2012 4:52 AM
Society Silk Embroidery repair. Jeansgarden 5 Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM
Hand embroidery MaryinLa 24 May 5, 2009 3:59 PM
Baby rings from 1992 crochet pattern LavinaMae 64 Jul 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Santa Claus mits ViolaAnn 19 May 5, 2011 12:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America