Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: Heavy whipping cream

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 27, Views: 167
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #5975339

My MIL insisted on buying a pint of heavy whipping cream for use during the holidays. We didn't end up using it. I'd like to use it before it goes bad but can't figure out what to do with it...
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #5975626

I assume you have nothing to go with whipped cream?
You can culture it with yoghurt or kefir to make a type of cream cheese, churn it into butter, make homemade ice cream (lots of hazelnuts in your neck of the woods. Nocciola is a popular flavour of gelato).
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #5975834

I have a lot of stuff in my cupboard, I just lack imagination.

For the life of me, I can't think of what to make with it. I don't need any ice cream, or whipped cream. I have creamy soup recipes but they don't call for heavy whipping cream just cream. Are they interchangeable?

Edited because I left out an entire word...sheeesh!

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 10:11 AM
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #5976132

You can use the heavy whipping cream instead of regular cream in a cream soup. It will be richer but otherwise should be fine. You can always mix it with milk to make your own half and half.
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

January 7, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #5977428

I love the idea of homemade ice cream, but if that's not your thing, and if you don't have any pie or shortcake to top--

Pasta &/or chicken with Alfredo sauce is tasty, and not terribly time consuming.
You can use cream in place of milk in mashed potatoes-- just omit or reduce the butter.
Scalloped potatoes are good with a little cream subbing for some of the milk.
You can use it in pancake batter in place of some of the milk & then cut back on the oil - same way with cake batter. Just make sure your total liquid volume stays about the same, but I can tell you from experience that most pancake & cake recipes have a lot of flex room in that respect.
Crème brûlée is nice..or a batch of home-made caramels. The latter can go in the freezer for later, too.
The creamed soup suggestion is good. I often add some heavy cream and some plain milk to mine.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #5977459

I use leftover heavy cream when making mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower...anything that calls for milk, but it will just be a bit creamier. You can use it for pudding as well.

Yum...

Sometimes, I just drink it... ;)
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

January 7, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #5977481

"Sometimes, I just drink it... ;)"
LOL! And here I thought I was being naughty with my suggestions of strawberry shortcake, caramels, and Crème brûlée!
Yeah, pudding is great, too... sheesh, this thread isn't helping my resolve!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #5977605

Well, you could resolve to pour it down the sink, ha, ha...
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #5977622

Ahhhhh! Thanks!

Alfredo Sauce! I even have fresh Parmesan and Asiago...

The carmels sound like a good idea too!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 7, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #5977702

It makes a gravy really awsome. I always have at least a pint on hand. Just a splash on cereal makes even skim milk taste great. Super on oatmeal along with some honey or maple syrup.

I make a crimini mushroom side dish with it - saute some onion and garlic, add some white wine,, add the mushrooms and reduce a bit, then add some S&P and a little heavy cream. Originally wanted to make a steak topping, but had so many mushrooms. would up being a side dish.
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

January 7, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #5978233

Ooooo, yeah! Good suggestion- Duxelle a la Crème! I haven't made the stuff in ages, but it's wonderful! I could certainlly see it as a side dish, heavy on the mushrooms, cut in larger pieces. Mmmm!

MM- Down the sink??? Oh no! I'd never have that much resolve! I'll just resove to eat more healthfully tomorrow to make up for it. *sigh*
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #5978267

I'm with you ooojen...can't waste a good pint of heavy cream...so many things to do with it. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh but I didn't want to be the point of your stumbling block either...

Have a creamy, dreamy day...

:) Kathy
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

January 7, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #5978646

Heehee-- s'ok, I'm not one to lay blame! ...and I don't have a formal Resolution I'm breaking or anything. Our family eats pretty well-- good balanced diet with lots of whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables...but we eat a good share of fats, too- lots of cheese and butter. I'm not 25 anymore...or 35 either...or... well, anyway, I'm thinking that it'd be good to get used to a lower fat diet before I get to the point where my metabolism slows down.
So I won't put any whipped cream on my pudding this time...
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

January 7, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #5978670

No one has mentioned scones or biscuits yet! Cranberry scones with honey on top, Yum.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #5979403

I didn't want to say anything about the cream puffs either...
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

January 8, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #5979434

I did think of biscuits, but they take a little more "feeling your way through" than the other stuff. If you don't want them greasy, you have to cut back a little on the butter, but not too much or they'll be tough. I wasn't sure how to explain it, but you're right; they're great with cream.
Scones didn't occur to me. Mmmm-- nice warm scones when it's cold outside... It just so happens I have a bag of cranberries AND a whole quart of heavy cream in my refrigerator :)
ooojen
Lewiston, MN

January 8, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #5979470

Yeah, cream puffs are good-- especially if you make a pudding custard filling with some of the cream, and then whip some more of it for topping!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #5979565

Okay, you're making me wish I HAD SOME HEAVY CREAM!!!
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 8, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #5979626

Wow! I haven't checked this thread in a while...I didn't realize there were sooo many things you could make with heavy cream. I hope I didn't ruin some resolutions before they even got a chance to start. 8-)
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #5979753

Scones are so quick in food processor, they're my favorite Sunday breakfast. Oh, I forgot the pecans! Throw in a handful of toasted pecans, they're heavenly.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 8, 2009
5:45 AM

Post #5980301

I like to make scones with chopped lemon verbena leaves and chopped bits of crystalized ginger. Use maple syrup or rapadura for the sweetener. Yum!
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #6001600

Well? Please don't keep us in suspense. What did you finally make with your heavy cream?
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #6001627

I haven't made it yet but I'm planning to make chicken brocolli alfredo pasta. Thanks for all of the ideas!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 13, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6001649

What time is supper?

Oh wait, it's too late to catch a flight today - LOL.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6001737

Bubba, Never too late ;)
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6001975

I've already got cowboy beans on now so I'll probably make it tomorrow so you've got time to catch the plane. Don't know how you'll get here from the airport though...

^_^
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 13, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6002014

Thanks for the invite.

Since we got the puppies Sunday evening, cooking in the kitchen is a challenge.
It is the only place without carpet where we can keep them for now.

There is a farmers market broccoli in the fridge - will steam and pour on some cheese tonight.

Here are Tatanka & Buffy - blue heelers - born 11/27/08

Thumbnail by Bubba_MoCity
Click the image for an enlarged view.

got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6002909

Very cute!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America