Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 140 - The Winter Siege is On!!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939029/

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Time for me to find my rack...It's been a long and tiring week...I hope you all sleep well and I'll check in tomorrow....

Hugggs

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Dusty your link didn't work, go back and put a space in it, after the colon.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Me thinks Dusty was too tired to mess with her colon. :)

Darn it! Almost dropped quacamole on my shirt! I was just stopping to check the TV guide.

Have a great night!

Cleveland Heights, OH(Zone 5b)

Dusty,

I got a lil sumthin' sumthin' in the works and it may just come to fruition before Spring and mater planting time. IF and I said IF it does come through for me, I give you my word in front of all these witnesses, I will come down and spend a whole week with you either on my way to California for the Lt's graduation or on the way back home.
I will visit as many of y'all as I can squeeze into a week. My word on it.

Feel free to start cooking now as I look forward to not having to cook for a week and fully expect to be sufficiently spoiled. :::::::: Big Ole Cheese Eatin' Grin :::::::::

Everybody be safe and warm this weekend.

In the words of the Lt. when he is not in uniform (God forbid he would show any signs that he was not the perfect little Navy robot in his little white britches)...PEACE OUT!!!!

Toni

Toni, you just have to spend a few days in Kentucky. There is Kywoods, Neal and George, and Paulette, and me. So iffen you just spend a day with each of us, you will have almost a week without having to lift a finger. Then when you head north, oh, my, looks like another week of carefree living!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Ric - you are a 24 fan? I am. I have been watching from season 1 to 6 over the last couple months. Trying to finish - I am still watching season 6.... I am trying to watch the last 5 hours of season 6, plus Redemption before season 7 starts on Sunday. I have it all on DVD, but have never seen it from beginning to current until now. I didn't start watching until sometime in season 5... then I was watching re-runs on A&E at 8 a.m. Would wake up, turn TV on and try to figure out what this strange TV show was all about. LOL. A friend figured out what I was trying to watch when I was describing it, and told me to go to video store, and get the show and watch from beginning of season. So I went and rented it. I was hooked. So I bought them. But, didn't watch them in order till now. I loaned them to two co-workers also. They've been watching them before me. One guy had never seen it at all - he watched it all 1-6 in order, and finished a couple days before Redemption aired. The other guy has been watching since first night it aired, back in season 1, but never saw any reruns or on DVD. So it's been 7 years since he saw season 1, and he said he forgot almost all of it. Like seeing it over again. About half the people I work with are 24 fans. You'll tell people something about a job and they will say "copy that" or "gonna need a hacksaw" or some other Jack-ism. We have fun with it. It was funny with the DVDs. Phil would have one season, finish it, pass it to Mike, who would watch it, then pass it to me. In the mean time, Phil would be on to the next season. If one person was busy or something, and had one to long, the next person would have Jack withdrawal. LOL

Well it's after midnight and the weather is holding for now. I was worried I would have a long and white knuckle drive home. I did the bread and milk thing today while I was out, so if it's bad, we won't have to go outside. Picked up a bag of cracked corn mixed with some other seed, but mostly corn to pile on the ground under the bird feeders for the ground feeding birds. I don't normally put stuff on the ground, as it seems to attract to many possums and coons but when it's really snowy and icy, the juncos, doves, finches etc really go for it. We put a few cups of it with a couple quarts of black sunflowers on the ground, and by night it's all cleaned up.

Tomorrow I will be taking down the Christmas tree. I wanted to try to get to it this week but it didn't happen. My Mom really enjoys it, so I don't worry about it to much. I'm really fussy about packing the ornaments, so it takes me a while. Almost all my ornaments are one of a kind, and it takes a while to wrap and pack them.

This time, I am going to try to get photos of them before I put them away. My new insurance agent has been after me to get photos of everything in the house. So far, I have only a few things done. You would think, as easy as it is with digital cameras, I would get it done. He said "just go around and open drawers and doors and snap away!" But, do you think I ever get around to these things?

Also on my weekend list is to continue with going through my spare room closet and getting clothes out to donate to Dusty's veterans. Then, I only have the few things in the basement to bring upstairs and go through, and I will be ready to make a road trip! One of my few remaining relatives lives just south of Cinci and I figured we might meet them half way for lunch somewhere... and drop this stuff off with Joycet if Dusty isn't home on our way to meet my cousin. I want to get this stuff to Dusty so folks that need winter things get them before Spring! LOLOL I think my Mom still has a few things to go through also. Dusty, if there is anything you particularly need, I can ask around where I work. Lots of veterans there, and I'm sure they would help if they can.

Ok - off to watch 24!

Hope no one gets hit with bad weather!

This message was edited Jan 10, 2009 12:34 AM

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Just subscribing to this thread:)

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Henygril,
We have something in common... I mean besides Dave's and The Ohio River Valley Forum.
My Birthday is the same as yours, silly, but I thought that was kinda cool

Dove

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Good morning we are in a level 2 here "ack" so i guess my dd won't be going to her birthday. The weather won this fight. :( she is really upset poor thing. FUnny thing is no word from the mom hosting party ? to cancel. I guess people just assume everyone knows . Must be my CA girl in me to overthink everthing LOL we west coasties do that you know LOL
Ric , sounds like you had a busy week hotus tubus sounds like a good idea .T likes 24 but he has not followed up on it in a few years . i was thinking of getting him the series for christmas but i got him the Dirry Harry series instead LOL he likes his Clint Eastwood . :)
Toni sounds like you got a great trip planned ahaed of you. I was thinking of a CA trip this spring also to my parents in the Bay Area.
GW hope you muscles start to feel better, sounds like you need a hotus tubus too.
Daylilly_Ohio good luck on your christmas tree :) and getting some pics . Your ornaments sound lovely too. Are they antiques passed down to you from family ?
Dusty dear Lord i hope your not driving today !!
Cookie how are things at your household, them critter behaving ? Bill watching football ?
Chelle that quacomole sounds yummy , just not on your shirt ! LOLLLL
might take a walk out in the woods today with the kids weather they like it or not ! i just can't do house all day long uhg.
ttyl
sue

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Dove I think that is cool that we share a really AWESOME birthday! :)

We could split the cost and have a really loud and rowdy party in here to celebrate, with two of us we could even serve alcohol. And really good food.

Our weather wasnt as severe as predicted. We actually have a temp of almost 40 degrees. Rains are headed this way but the winter warning I think is lifted for now. Tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be bad, we shall see.

Yall stay safe and warm.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Sounds like I need to make another Capricorn cake!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Good luck to those north of us!!!
From Dayton north and east it sounds like an Ice Extravaganza is due or already happening.
We're at 37° and going to 47° so I guess we're OK.

Toni we are minutes (well 30 anyway) from Joustie (Joyce, Dusty, Bertie) Acres.
So IF your plans come thru.......

Off to pull wires ...

Ric

we are under a level 2 :(

Good Morning all...It is 33* here now, and dripping...no rain and no ice and no snow at the moment...

Michelle...you are absolutely right...I WAS dead on my hinnie last night...I hit the Send button and went to bed... LOL... I have been up since 7:30 catching up on other Forums, and refilling my bird feeders...There is still enough snow covering out there so I will sow my poppies today...I have to bring the big bag of potting soil in out of the garage and get it down to the basement...

I stopped at the Big Lots, to see if they still had any after Christmas watches.. I got one last year for $5, and I finally demolished it Wed afternoon...They had 2 Spathyphyllums.... sign said $6 but they were completely wilted and alot of dead...I took the one that I thought I MAY be able to save in hopes of a discount, and when I checked out, the manager gave it to me, no charge...I got 2 watches, one for $5 and another one that is a Timex, normally $39.95 for $10...If you press the stem, it lights up too, great for my early dark mornings...Also got 2 new Danskin sports bras, and a pair of scruffies for Jim...I wish I had extra money, as all the Christmas stuff is 75% off...

I put the spath in a bowl of water and sat the nearly dead completely wilted thing in the sink...When I came out to make the coffee, it was all standing up and perky... ^_^ So it goes into a new and bigger/better pot today...Mine grew in the ground in the shaded loggia in FL, but that ain't gonna happen here... LOL..
I have some other house plants that need repotting, so I want to get the soil in and warmed up...

I am going to get dressed and get outta here in a few...Need to hit the bank, and go to Yellow Springs to pick up some shop lights for Cookies barn, and my garage and basement that I got from my Army buddy...He also has some clothes for the Vets Closet...Gonna stop at the dollar store and grocery, and haul behind home before things get worse if they are going to...Thankfully I have my Wheelie today....That puppy and me can go anywhere...

Speaking of Puppys.. How do you like my new Border Collie Pup???

Thumbnail by DustyDS

LOL you guys let me get some money first! Derek is graduating from grad school and moving back east (Rhode Island) for Department Head School for a year so they want to fly with the kids and I am gonna drive their SUV back (well that's the plan anyway). Cali will be about 2 weeks of moving mostly. His schedule is gonna determine a lot.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hi Folks... Hope all of you are staying warm! Not too bad here today... overcast and 40º although rain and then snow later today... I guess if I'm going to the store I should do it soon!

I've started back on the genealogy I started years ago and even with the internet, it takes lots of time and total immersion. I came across this yesterday while reading some Ohio newspapers from the 1800's and got this chuckle to pass on...

Quoting:
Source: The Columbus Enquirer-Sun
Dated: May 1, 1891
The terrible effects of smoking is shown in the case of Mrs. Eva Cross, of Adams County, Ohio, who, although 125 years of age, still indulges in the reprehensible practice of smoking the strongest sort of tobacco in the strongest sort of a pipe.

Most of my family (on all sides) lived at one time in Ohio from about 1810 on... mostly in the counties of Wyandot, Tuscarawas, Ross, Scioto, and Adams.... so far.

125 and still smoking a pipe. Wow. God bless her.

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I just wanted to let everyone know that
there is a interest thread for MESSENGER going on right now.
Ok... I know I am an enabler...
Pauletta

edited for bad spelling

This message was edited Jan 10, 2009 3:26 PM

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

A rowdy birthday party... I could use something to snap me out of my funk... booze and music, that could do the trick ☺

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL! Hi Dovey! When is this birthday so we can start practicing our steps! ^_^

Cute pup Dusty....thought you said you weren't getting any more for a while! How can it sleep so soundly with 5 dogs and a cat there?

kay, need to put my makeup on and do my hair. Birthday party tonight for my DIL at Bravo's. I'd like to have one of their Gingerbread Rumtini's but at 7.50 a pop, I'll probably pass!

I love the weekends....it's like being retired for 2 days....

so how many dogs does that make ? ! sheesh
played in snow or ice rather. LOL what a workout !
what is messenger
Geo told me about a hosta and a calidum coops he is soo bad . But its good. :)
darius to funny 125 yrs old ? wow .
You ever see the movie Grumpier Old Men adn the grandpa is telling his son how he eats bacon , smokes camels and eats bacon again and then drinks his dinner LOL and his dr died and he is still alive LOLLLL love that movie !
well kinda pooped
take care
sue

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I could be wrong.. really really wrong but I think that "puppy" is faux.

(yeah I have been lurking)

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Jazz.....I'm with you!! Me thinks Ms. Dusty has a FAKE dog!! It's too perfect!!
Well..we had ICE here this morning! It was so slick out our back door that Dave couldn't walk out there. Sooooo...he threw out the salt...waited a bit...and then was able to get the jeep out. By the time we were ready to leave, I could walk out there without falling. I did wear my new plaid boots though! Took my heels with me!
We were a few minutes late arrriving, but we missed the 12 A exit at the Base. It was at Hotel Hope at WPAFB. Seems there is no exit sign coming from the West. Anyway, my niece had just called me on my cell, as we were pulling in....so we weren't too awfully late.
It was a great meal...and a great reception! I'm glad we went....and I am glad to be home. My DH drives ever so slow when he thinks roads are bad....and that's good. But the roads weren't bad...lol. Wet, yes. Awww anyway...we are home.....after EVERYONE passed us up!!!
Well...DH just made me a sandwich...so think I will go and eat!

Evening folks, I have been without internet all day, so just now checking in. It has rained here all day, but the temps are dropping, and the weather liars are saying we are getting snow tonight and tomorrow, then colder than blue blazes for next week.

I went to the library and stocked up on reading material, and bought some steaks at the grocery, and we stayed in tonight. The steaks were delicious, and now the kitchen is cleaned and I am heading to my recliner to read.

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Sue
dont know if I can do this link or not
but this will tell you about it.
Everyone says it is great

http://www.cooperseeds.com/catalog/messenger-delivering-stronger,-healthier-plants...naturally-p2174.html

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Someone explain to me the level 2 thing......I cant find definitions on any of the weather sites, but I am not sure I am 'googling' the right phrase.

Party will be Jan 16th, in here BYOB!! :)

What is the MESSENGER everyone is interested in?

Okay getting ready for church, just was enjoying a few minutes on here. :)

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

It's still not too bad down here....a little rain over the last couple of days, but no snow. Was 51* Friday, but only 34* yesterday.

Good news! Al has a job! We're going to Foreman, Arkansas this week for a few months. I spent yesterday packing up the stuff we're taking, while Al was installing security cameras. Anxious to go, cuz when I come back the beginning of April, it will be springtime and time to put up the greenhouse and start planting. YEAH!

Good Morning... and Yippee for Robin!

Ugh... I KNOW we needed precipitation, but I am getting SO tired of it! Our creek is up again, but I don't think it will breach the banks this time. Forecast is freezing rain and snow off and on for the next few days... and cold.

Heny, I don't know what 'level 2' is either. That term isn't used around here.

Sunny and Joseph may be back up here today to load more stuff and if so, I need to drive over and pick up my backpack and umbrella I left at their new place. I hope the freezing rain is over by then. Yuck.

Anyone have any experience with compact refrigerators? BestBuy has an Oster 4.5 cu ft for $118.

Ta Ta

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Darius,

What are the measurements on a 4.5 CF fridge? Remember I had that little dorm size fridge for beverages for 20 bucks as a damaged floor model? Worked really great. We got another one more than twice that size abandoned by departing UF students. Will use that in the barn/guest house one day.

When you get the smaller ones, no doubt you will have to periodically defrost. Don't think you can get a frost free at that price.

The guys are supposed to finish hanging my gutters today and maybe get some more fence posts installed on the back of the property. Trying to get Jeremy to get lots done before he moves over to Deltona.

Molly

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Darius, We've had one for 6-7 years. I think ours is a little smaller. Works great, but ours has a tiny freezer. Have to cut ice cube trays down to fit.

Good deal on Sunny & Joseph. Sure hope they can get the rest of their stuff in this trip.

Molly, it's dorm-size... about 20" wide and deep, and 32" tall; small freezer at the top might hold 2 ice trays. I don't know if I would have to cut them down like Robin did. I can't find any customer reviews on Oster compact ref. this size, and BestBuy is discontinuing this model. Usually sells for $169.

Why is Jeremy going to Deltona?

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh, okay D, I thought that little one was bigger than it is. It's 18"X18".
You are looking at one the size of the other dorm fridge.

The mother of Jeremy's child lived here for 5 months and it didn't work out. So she took the kids and went back to Deltona. She's been trying to convince Jeremy that life with her, without his mom, would be a bed or roses. Problem with that.........she would still be part of the equation. Circumstances do not change the basic temperment of a person. I don't know how much of himself he has to lose again before he realizes this. It would be so nice for him to find a "nice" girl, someone who is good to him and he can be good to.

Oh well.......D, don't you need a vacation yet?

Molly

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone.

Well we ended up with a nice party last night and she was surprised. There were 17 of us and the room was comfortable. They had two lines of tables set up when we went in, they set up for 25, but we got them to move one of the tables over so we could all sit together. They have nice friends and we enjoyed ourselves. I only got half an order of Pasta Woozie, so I splurged and had the Gingerbread Rumtini...so good. Everything tasted wonderful. I'm not used to eating that late, so we came home and watched a movie before trying to go to bed. Had to give the electric blanket time to do its' job too!

We're having friends over for dinner. So I have the spaghetti sauce on and the meatballs are finished in the oven and added to the sauce to simmer. I made chex party mix and the ice cream pie. I think I will make a batch of cashew brittle since I didn't do any over Christmas and Bill has been whining. Doesn't hurt that the guests that are coming love it too. Salad and some bread will round the dinner out.

Sue, I'm proud of you for sticking to your guns. I have lost all my added Christmas weight now. I'd be happy to drop a few pounds before the little cruise next month, but if I don't, so be it.

Well, that brittle isn't going to get done with me sitting here. Have a great day all!

(Welcome Molly...glad to have you hanging out!)

Good Morning all....Yep...that Pup is Faux...He was the Puppy in the window at St Francis DePaul Thrift on Friday morning when I dropped Crotchety Earl off for his Dialysis...They were closed at 6:30 am so I was hoping I could get to pick him up at 11am, and get that pup...I was, and he was only $2... ^_^ Cookie tells me he was sold at Cracker Barrel and if he has his batteries in, he is supposed to *breathe*... LOL
I just know he is adorable, and once I get Lily broke from stealing things, he is going on the fireplace hearth...

Darius...I can't vouch for a fridge, but I will say that anything Oster makes has a good reputation...I have used Oster clippers for over 40 years as well as massagers, and never had a problem with either...I still have a neck massager that is over 20 yrs old, and works perfectly...and my dog clippers are at least 15 yrs old...new blades, yes, but the motor is still top notch...

I am clipping the poodles today, and doing laundry, and repotting the houseplants in the basement...PITA carrying them down and back up, but it's gotta be done...The orchids are taking turns soaking in the kitchen sink full of plantfood water...I MAY get around to dusting the living and dining rooms and do the vacuum thing, but don't count on it... LOL

It was flurrying snow when I got up, but just quit about 1/2 an hour ago... we had a very light dusting and that is all, but its mostly gone now...Still only 26* here...
My buddy called me yesterday and told me in no uncertain terms NOT to come to Yellow Springs...His driveway was solid ice, and so were the roads...so I didn't get the lights yet...I am going to Lowes today to get a piece of gutter for the front porch...It drips right over the steps, and I almost busted my hinnie Friday morning at 5:30 when I went out to warmup the Wheelie...As usual, looked wet, but was solid ice...I bought a new 50# sack of salt Friday night so hopefully I can keep the walkway and drive de-iced...
I don't like salting near plants though, so I may just dump a sack of mulch over the walk till Spring, and then I can sweep it off into the beds...It will give the wet a place to go and not be a slick surface to walk on...I think that is a lovely idea the more I think about it...It is only about 4 feet from the step to the driveway, so that will work... ^_^

Breaktime is over.. better get back at it...Have a great day!!!

Heyyyy Coookie!!! Guess what we had for supper last night... LOL
Jim said he has had worse meals eating out, so I think that was a backhanded compliment...LOL

This message was edited Jan 11, 2009 2:28 PM

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Snow Emergencies... Level 3 doesn't get invoked very often... Level 2 is pretty common, around here anyway--and a good way to ticket you if they can't ticket you for excessive speed or failure to control.

The County Sheriff may, pursuant to Ohio Revised Code Sections 311.07 and 311.08, declare a snow emergency and temporarily close all or certain highways, roads and streets within his jurisdiction when such action is reasonably necessary for the preservation of the public peace. Ohio Attorney General’s Opinion 97-015 issued April 1, 1997, concludes that this authority includes all federal and state highways, county and township roads and Municipal streets.

Any person who knowingly hampers or fails to obey a lawful order of the sheriff declaring a snow emergency and temporary closing highways, roads and/or streets within his jurisdiction, may be subject to criminal prosecution under Ohio Revised Code Section 2917.13, “Misconduct at an Emergency.” A violation under this section is a minor misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed $100. If the misconduct creates a risk of physical harm to persons or property, it is a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable by a jail sentence not to exceed thirty days and/or a fine not to exceed $250.

There are three levels of snow emergency classifications:

LEVEL 1: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be icy. Drive carefully.

LEVEL 2: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Only those who feel it is necessary to drive should be out on the roads. Contact your employer to see if you should report to work.

LEVEL 3: All roadways are closed to non-emergency personnel. No one else should be out during these conditions unless it is absolutely necessary to travel or a personal emergency exists. All employees should contact their employer to see if they should report to work. Those traveling on the roads may subject themselves to arrest.

back to your regularly scheduled programming

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

LOL Melissa!
Afternoon everyone! We had a pretty good snow shower here this morning. It covered everything! Then the sun came out. That didn't last long though...and it has been cloudy ever since.
Neal...I looked and looked for that pic of my lupines...but haven't found it yet! I'll probably find it when I least expect it! I am so bad about taking pics and uploading them...and then not labeling them! Shame on me.
We ran up to Wally so Dave could get a tv guide...and his V-8 juice. They were out of that on Friday! Still only had the small bottles of V-8 today...so he just got those.
Then stopped at the hardware store to get firestarters....as Wally didn't have the kind I like to use. Some guy came up to me and said he liked my boots....lol!! Said his daughter had a pair of polka dot ones. My are green and yellow plaid. I really didn't even buy them for winter! I bought them for gardening...but...they are warm and waterproof rubber...so hey...why not wear 'em now????
Nothing else going on here.
Oh...Melissa...we were on a level 2 on Saturday...not sure why? There were some slick spots....but not the whole roads??????????? Or maybe we just didn't go on those roads that were bad??

snowing here on and off today
Melissa thanks for the breakdown of the levels :) hmmm i thought level 2 you would get a ticket ? So would a beer run be considered a necessity ? *giggle*
our driveway if you don't have 4x4 you won't make it . solid ice .
did get out for awhile
thanks for the messenger info , looks interesting might have to look into it . thanks :)
Molly hope things get better for your DS. That is a hard one .
Melissa how is the kids ? and how is work going for you ? i m sure you have been busy. :)
bbl
sue

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey, guys! I ended up being out all day with Howie since he went to Caribou with me when I worked. And today, well, I slept in. Late. Boy, did it feel good. :) If I'd had a hotus tubus last night, it would have been perfection. LOL

The "death storm" ended up fizzling and we didn't have much to deal with at all. I'd put sheets over the car windows, so all Howie had to do was open the car doors and pull the ice-covered sheets off. It's the way to go when you have advanced notice of ice!

Nothing else going on, I work tomorrow and don't know my hours beyond that. I'm filling gaps right now.

Congrats on finding work, Robin!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.