Photo by Melody

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 140 - The Winter Siege is On!!!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 210, Views: 1,570
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #5987387

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939029/

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #5987420

Time for me to find my rack...It's been a long and tiring week...I hope you all sleep well and I'll check in tomorrow...

Hugggs
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #5987488

Dusty your link didn't work, go back and put a space in it, after the colon.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #5987548

Me thinks Dusty was too tired to mess with her colon. :)

Darn it! Almost dropped quacamole on my shirt! I was just stopping to check the TV guide.

Have a great night!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
5:07 AM

Post #5987780

Dusty,

I got a lil sumthin' sumthin' in the works and it may just come to fruition before Spring and mater planting time. IF and I said IF it does come through for me, I give you my word in front of all these witnesses, I will come down and spend a whole week with you either on my way to California for the Lt's graduation or on the way back home.
I will visit as many of y'all as I can squeeze into a week. My word on it.

Feel free to start cooking now as I look forward to not having to cook for a week and fully expect to be sufficiently spoiled. :::::::: Big Ole Cheese Eatin' Grin :::::::::

Everybody be safe and warm this weekend.

In the words of the Lt. when he is not in uniform (God forbid he would show any signs that he was not the perfect little Navy robot in his little white britches)...PEACE OUT!!!!

Toni
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #5987812

Toni, you just have to spend a few days in Kentucky. There is Kywoods, Neal and George, and Paulette, and me. So iffen you just spend a day with each of us, you will have almost a week without having to lift a finger. Then when you head north, oh, my, looks like another week of carefree living!!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
5:29 AM

Post #5987850

Ric - you are a 24 fan? I am. I have been watching from season 1 to 6 over the last couple months. Trying to finish - I am still watching season 6... I am trying to watch the last 5 hours of season 6, plus Redemption before season 7 starts on Sunday. I have it all on DVD, but have never seen it from beginning to current until now. I didn't start watching until sometime in season 5... then I was watching re-runs on A&E at 8 a.m. Would wake up, turn TV on and try to figure out what this strange TV show was all about. LOL. A friend figured out what I was trying to watch when I was describing it, and told me to go to video store, and get the show and watch from beginning of season. So I went and rented it. I was hooked. So I bought them. But, didn't watch them in order till now. I loaned them to two co-workers also. They've been watching them before me. One guy had never seen it at all - he watched it all 1-6 in order, and finished a couple days before Redemption aired. The other guy has been watching since first night it aired, back in season 1, but never saw any reruns or on DVD. So it's been 7 years since he saw season 1, and he said he forgot almost all of it. Like seeing it over again. About half the people I work with are 24 fans. You'll tell people something about a job and they will say "copy that" or "gonna need a hacksaw" or some other Jack-ism. We have fun with it. It was funny with the DVDs. Phil would have one season, finish it, pass it to Mike, who would watch it, then pass it to me. In the mean time, Phil would be on to the next season. If one person was busy or something, and had one to long, the next person would have Jack withdrawal. LOL

Well it's after midnight and the weather is holding for now. I was worried I would have a long and white knuckle drive home. I did the bread and milk thing today while I was out, so if it's bad, we won't have to go outside. Picked up a bag of cracked corn mixed with some other seed, but mostly corn to pile on the ground under the bird feeders for the ground feeding birds. I don't normally put stuff on the ground, as it seems to attract to many possums and coons but when it's really snowy and icy, the juncos, doves, finches etc really go for it. We put a few cups of it with a couple quarts of black sunflowers on the ground, and by night it's all cleaned up.

Tomorrow I will be taking down the Christmas tree. I wanted to try to get to it this week but it didn't happen. My Mom really enjoys it, so I don't worry about it to much. I'm really fussy about packing the ornaments, so it takes me a while. Almost all my ornaments are one of a kind, and it takes a while to wrap and pack them.

This time, I am going to try to get photos of them before I put them away. My new insurance agent has been after me to get photos of everything in the house. So far, I have only a few things done. You would think, as easy as it is with digital cameras, I would get it done. He said "just go around and open drawers and doors and snap away!" But, do you think I ever get around to these things?

Also on my weekend list is to continue with going through my spare room closet and getting clothes out to donate to Dusty's veterans. Then, I only have the few things in the basement to bring upstairs and go through, and I will be ready to make a road trip! One of my few remaining relatives lives just south of Cinci and I figured we might meet them half way for lunch somewhere... and drop this stuff off with Joycet if Dusty isn't home on our way to meet my cousin. I want to get this stuff to Dusty so folks that need winter things get them before Spring! LOLOL I think my Mom still has a few things to go through also. Dusty, if there is anything you particularly need, I can ask around where I work. Lots of veterans there, and I'm sure they would help if they can.

Ok - off to watch 24!

Hope no one gets hit with bad weather!

This message was edited Jan 10, 2009 12:34 AM
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2009
5:57 AM

Post #5987906

Just subscribing to this thread:)
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #5988336

Henygril,
We have something in common... I mean besides Dave's and The Ohio River Valley Forum.
My Birthday is the same as yours, silly, but I thought that was kinda cool

Dove

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #5988560

Good morning we are in a level 2 here "ack" so i guess my dd won't be going to her birthday. The weather won this fight. :( she is really upset poor thing. FUnny thing is no word from the mom hosting party ? to cancel. I guess people just assume everyone knows . Must be my CA girl in me to overthink everthing LOL we west coasties do that you know LOL
Ric , sounds like you had a busy week hotus tubus sounds like a good idea .T likes 24 but he has not followed up on it in a few years . i was thinking of getting him the series for christmas but i got him the Dirry Harry series instead LOL he likes his Clint Eastwood . :)
Toni sounds like you got a great trip planned ahaed of you. I was thinking of a CA trip this spring also to my parents in the Bay Area.
GW hope you muscles start to feel better, sounds like you need a hotus tubus too.
Daylilly_Ohio good luck on your christmas tree :) and getting some pics . Your ornaments sound lovely too. Are they antiques passed down to you from family ?
Dusty dear Lord i hope your not driving today !!
Cookie how are things at your household, them critter behaving ? Bill watching football ?
Chelle that quacomole sounds yummy , just not on your shirt ! LOLLLL
might take a walk out in the woods today with the kids weather they like it or not ! i just can't do house all day long uhg.
ttyl
sue
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #5988630

Dove I think that is cool that we share a really AWESOME birthday! :)

We could split the cost and have a really loud and rowdy party in here to celebrate, with two of us we could even serve alcohol. And really good food.

Our weather wasnt as severe as predicted. We actually have a temp of almost 40 degrees. Rains are headed this way but the winter warning I think is lifted for now. Tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be bad, we shall see.

Yall stay safe and warm.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #5988690

Sounds like I need to make another Capricorn cake!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #5988771

Good luck to those north of us!!!
From Dayton north and east it sounds like an Ice Extravaganza is due or already happening.
We're at 37° and going to 47° so I guess we're OK.

Toni we are minutes (well 30 anyway) from Joustie (Joyce, Dusty, Bertie) Acres.
So IF your plans come thru...

Off to pull wires ...

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #5988869

we are under a level 2 :(
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #5988908

Good Morning all...It is 33* here now, and dripping...no rain and no ice and no snow at the moment...

Michelle...you are absolutely right...I WAS dead on my hinnie last night...I hit the Send button and went to bed... LOL... I have been up since 7:30 catching up on other Forums, and refilling my bird feeders...There is still enough snow covering out there so I will sow my poppies today...I have to bring the big bag of potting soil in out of the garage and get it down to the basement...

I stopped at the Big Lots, to see if they still had any after Christmas watches.. I got one last year for $5, and I finally demolished it Wed afternoon...They had 2 Spathyphyllums... sign said $6 but they were completely wilted and alot of dead...I took the one that I thought I MAY be able to save in hopes of a discount, and when I checked out, the manager gave it to me, no charge...I got 2 watches, one for $5 and another one that is a Timex, normally $39.95 for $10...If you press the stem, it lights up too, great for my early dark mornings...Also got 2 new Danskin sports bras, and a pair of scruffies for Jim...I wish I had extra money, as all the Christmas stuff is 75% off...

I put the spath in a bowl of water and sat the nearly dead completely wilted thing in the sink...When I came out to make the coffee, it was all standing up and perky... ^_^ So it goes into a new and bigger/better pot today...Mine grew in the ground in the shaded loggia in FL, but that ain't gonna happen here... LOL..
I have some other house plants that need repotting, so I want to get the soil in and warmed up...

I am going to get dressed and get outta here in a few...Need to hit the bank, and go to Yellow Springs to pick up some shop lights for Cookies barn, and my garage and basement that I got from my Army buddy...He also has some clothes for the Vets Closet...Gonna stop at the dollar store and grocery, and haul behind home before things get worse if they are going to...Thankfully I have my Wheelie today...That puppy and me can go anywhere...

Speaking of Puppys.. How do you like my new Border Collie Pup???

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #5989097

LOL you guys let me get some money first! Derek is graduating from grad school and moving back east (Rhode Island) for Department Head School for a year so they want to fly with the kids and I am gonna drive their SUV back (well that's the plan anyway). Cali will be about 2 weeks of moving mostly. His schedule is gonna determine a lot.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #5989645

Hi Folks... Hope all of you are staying warm! Not too bad here today... overcast and 40º although rain and then snow later today... I guess if I'm going to the store I should do it soon!

I've started back on the genealogy I started years ago and even with the internet, it takes lots of time and total immersion. I came across this yesterday while reading some Ohio newspapers from the 1800's and got this chuckle to pass on...
[quote]Source: The Columbus Enquirer-Sun
Dated: May 1, 1891
The terrible effects of smoking is shown in the case of Mrs. Eva Cross, of Adams County, Ohio, who, although 125 years of age, still indulges in the reprehensible practice of smoking the strongest sort of tobacco in the strongest sort of a pipe.[/quote]

Most of my family (on all sides) lived at one time in Ohio from about 1810 on... mostly in the counties of Wyandot, Tuscarawas, Ross, Scioto, and Adams... so far.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #5989665

125 and still smoking a pipe. Wow. God bless her.
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #5989814

I just wanted to let everyone know that
there is a interest thread for MESSENGER going on right now.
Ok... I know I am an enabler...
Pauletta

edited for bad spelling

This message was edited Jan 10, 2009 3:26 PM
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #5990069

A rowdy birthday party... I could use something to snap me out of my funk... booze and music, that could do the trick ☺

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #5990181

LOL! Hi Dovey! When is this birthday so we can start practicing our steps! ^_^

Cute pup Dusty...thought you said you weren't getting any more for a while! How can it sleep so soundly with 5 dogs and a cat there?

kay, need to put my makeup on and do my hair. Birthday party tonight for my DIL at Bravo's. I'd like to have one of their Gingerbread Rumtini's but at 7.50 a pop, I'll probably pass!

I love the weekends...it's like being retired for 2 days...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #5990373

so how many dogs does that make ? ! sheesh
played in snow or ice rather. LOL what a workout !
what is messenger
Geo told me about a hosta and a calidum coops he is soo bad . But its good. :)
darius to funny 125 yrs old ? wow .
You ever see the movie Grumpier Old Men adn the grandpa is telling his son how he eats bacon , smokes camels and eats bacon again and then drinks his dinner LOL and his dr died and he is still alive LOLLLL love that movie !
well kinda pooped
take care
sue
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #5990428

I could be wrong.. really really wrong but I think that "puppy" is faux.

(yeah I have been lurking)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #5990518

Jazz...I'm with you!! Me thinks Ms. Dusty has a FAKE dog!! It's too perfect!!
Well..we had ICE here this morning! It was so slick out our back door that Dave couldn't walk out there. Sooooo...he threw out the salt...waited a bit...and then was able to get the jeep out. By the time we were ready to leave, I could walk out there without falling. I did wear my new plaid boots though! Took my heels with me!
We were a few minutes late arrriving, but we missed the 12 A exit at the Base. It was at Hotel Hope at WPAFB. Seems there is no exit sign coming from the West. Anyway, my niece had just called me on my cell, as we were pulling in...so we weren't too awfully late.
It was a great meal...and a great reception! I'm glad we went...and I am glad to be home. My DH drives ever so slow when he thinks roads are bad...and that's good. But the roads weren't bad...lol. Wet, yes. Awww anyway...we are home...after EVERYONE passed us up!!!
Well...DH just made me a sandwich...so think I will go and eat!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #5990556

Evening folks, I have been without internet all day, so just now checking in. It has rained here all day, but the temps are dropping, and the weather liars are saying we are getting snow tonight and tomorrow, then colder than blue blazes for next week.

I went to the library and stocked up on reading material, and bought some steaks at the grocery, and we stayed in tonight. The steaks were delicious, and now the kitchen is cleaned and I am heading to my recliner to read.
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #5990700

Sue
dont know if I can do this link or not
but this will tell you about it.
Everyone says it is great

http://www.cooperseeds.com/catalog/messenger-delivering-stronger,-healthier-plants...naturally-p2174.html
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #5991869

Someone explain to me the level 2 thing...I cant find definitions on any of the weather sites, but I am not sure I am 'googling' the right phrase.

Party will be Jan 16th, in here BYOB!! :)

What is the MESSENGER everyone is interested in?

Okay getting ready for church, just was enjoying a few minutes on here. :)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #5991935

It's still not too bad down here...a little rain over the last couple of days, but no snow. Was 51* Friday, but only 34* yesterday.

Good news! Al has a job! We're going to Foreman, Arkansas this week for a few months. I spent yesterday packing up the stuff we're taking, while Al was installing security cameras. Anxious to go, cuz when I come back the beginning of April, it will be springtime and time to put up the greenhouse and start planting. YEAH!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #5991973

Good Morning... and Yippee for Robin!

Ugh... I KNOW we needed precipitation, but I am getting SO tired of it! Our creek is up again, but I don't think it will breach the banks this time. Forecast is freezing rain and snow off and on for the next few days... and cold.

Heny, I don't know what 'level 2' is either. That term isn't used around here.

Sunny and Joseph may be back up here today to load more stuff and if so, I need to drive over and pick up my backpack and umbrella I left at their new place. I hope the freezing rain is over by then. Yuck.

Anyone have any experience with compact refrigerators? BestBuy has an Oster 4.5 cu ft for $118.

Ta Ta
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #5992134

Darius,

What are the measurements on a 4.5 CF fridge? Remember I had that little dorm size fridge for beverages for 20 bucks as a damaged floor model? Worked really great. We got another one more than twice that size abandoned by departing UF students. Will use that in the barn/guest house one day.

When you get the smaller ones, no doubt you will have to periodically defrost. Don't think you can get a frost free at that price.

The guys are supposed to finish hanging my gutters today and maybe get some more fence posts installed on the back of the property. Trying to get Jeremy to get lots done before he moves over to Deltona.

Molly
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #5992142

Darius, We've had one for 6-7 years. I think ours is a little smaller. Works great, but ours has a tiny freezer. Have to cut ice cube trays down to fit.

Good deal on Sunny & Joseph. Sure hope they can get the rest of their stuff in this trip.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #5992171

Molly, it's dorm-size... about 20" wide and deep, and 32" tall; small freezer at the top might hold 2 ice trays. I don't know if I would have to cut them down like Robin did. I can't find any customer reviews on Oster compact ref. this size, and BestBuy is discontinuing this model. Usually sells for $169.

Why is Jeremy going to Deltona?
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #5992268

Oh, okay D, I thought that little one was bigger than it is. It's 18"X18".
You are looking at one the size of the other dorm fridge.

The mother of Jeremy's child lived here for 5 months and it didn't work out. So she took the kids and went back to Deltona. She's been trying to convince Jeremy that life with her, without his mom, would be a bed or roses. Problem with that...she would still be part of the equation. Circumstances do not change the basic temperment of a person. I don't know how much of himself he has to lose again before he realizes this. It would be so nice for him to find a "nice" girl, someone who is good to him and he can be good to.

Oh well...D, don't you need a vacation yet?

Molly

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #5992370

Hi everyone.

Well we ended up with a nice party last night and she was surprised. There were 17 of us and the room was comfortable. They had two lines of tables set up when we went in, they set up for 25, but we got them to move one of the tables over so we could all sit together. They have nice friends and we enjoyed ourselves. I only got half an order of Pasta Woozie, so I splurged and had the Gingerbread Rumtini...so good. Everything tasted wonderful. I'm not used to eating that late, so we came home and watched a movie before trying to go to bed. Had to give the electric blanket time to do its' job too!

We're having friends over for dinner. So I have the spaghetti sauce on and the meatballs are finished in the oven and added to the sauce to simmer. I made chex party mix and the ice cream pie. I think I will make a batch of cashew brittle since I didn't do any over Christmas and Bill has been whining. Doesn't hurt that the guests that are coming love it too. Salad and some bread will round the dinner out.

Sue, I'm proud of you for sticking to your guns. I have lost all my added Christmas weight now. I'd be happy to drop a few pounds before the little cruise next month, but if I don't, so be it.

Well, that brittle isn't going to get done with me sitting here. Have a great day all!

(Welcome Molly...glad to have you hanging out!)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #5992517

Good Morning all...Yep...that Pup is Faux...He was the Puppy in the window at St Francis DePaul Thrift on Friday morning when I dropped Crotchety Earl off for his Dialysis...They were closed at 6:30 am so I was hoping I could get to pick him up at 11am, and get that pup...I was, and he was only $2... ^_^ Cookie tells me he was sold at Cracker Barrel and if he has his batteries in, he is supposed to *breathe*... LOL
I just know he is adorable, and once I get Lily broke from stealing things, he is going on the fireplace hearth...

Darius...I can't vouch for a fridge, but I will say that anything Oster makes has a good reputation...I have used Oster clippers for over 40 years as well as massagers, and never had a problem with either...I still have a neck massager that is over 20 yrs old, and works perfectly...and my dog clippers are at least 15 yrs old...new blades, yes, but the motor is still top notch...

I am clipping the poodles today, and doing laundry, and repotting the houseplants in the basement...PITA carrying them down and back up, but it's gotta be done...The orchids are taking turns soaking in the kitchen sink full of plantfood water...I MAY get around to dusting the living and dining rooms and do the vacuum thing, but don't count on it... LOL

It was flurrying snow when I got up, but just quit about 1/2 an hour ago... we had a very light dusting and that is all, but its mostly gone now...Still only 26* here...
My buddy called me yesterday and told me in no uncertain terms NOT to come to Yellow Springs...His driveway was solid ice, and so were the roads...so I didn't get the lights yet...I am going to Lowes today to get a piece of gutter for the front porch...It drips right over the steps, and I almost busted my hinnie Friday morning at 5:30 when I went out to warmup the Wheelie...As usual, looked wet, but was solid ice...I bought a new 50# sack of salt Friday night so hopefully I can keep the walkway and drive de-iced...
I don't like salting near plants though, so I may just dump a sack of mulch over the walk till Spring, and then I can sweep it off into the beds...It will give the wet a place to go and not be a slick surface to walk on...I think that is a lovely idea the more I think about it...It is only about 4 feet from the step to the driveway, so that will work... ^_^

Breaktime is over.. better get back at it...Have a great day!!!

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #5992535

Heyyyy Coookie!!! Guess what we had for supper last night... LOL
Jim said he has had worse meals eating out, so I think that was a backhanded compliment...LOL

This message was edited Jan 11, 2009 2:28 PM
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #5993126

Snow Emergencies... Level 3 doesn't get invoked very often... Level 2 is pretty common, around here anyway--and a good way to ticket you if they can't ticket you for excessive speed or failure to control.

The County Sheriff may, pursuant to Ohio Revised Code Sections 311.07 and 311.08, declare a snow emergency and temporarily close all or certain highways, roads and streets within his jurisdiction when such action is reasonably necessary for the preservation of the public peace. Ohio Attorney General’s Opinion 97-015 issued April 1, 1997, concludes that this authority includes all federal and state highways, county and township roads and Municipal streets.

Any person who knowingly hampers or fails to obey a lawful order of the sheriff declaring a snow emergency and temporary closing highways, roads and/or streets within his jurisdiction, may be subject to criminal prosecution under Ohio Revised Code Section 2917.13, “Misconduct at an Emergency.” A violation under this section is a minor misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed $100. If the misconduct creates a risk of physical harm to persons or property, it is a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable by a jail sentence not to exceed thirty days and/or a fine not to exceed $250.

There are three levels of snow emergency classifications:

LEVEL 1: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be icy. Drive carefully.

LEVEL 2: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Only those who feel it is necessary to drive should be out on the roads. Contact your employer to see if you should report to work.

LEVEL 3: All roadways are closed to non-emergency personnel. No one else should be out during these conditions unless it is absolutely necessary to travel or a personal emergency exists. All employees should contact their employer to see if they should report to work. Those traveling on the roads may subject themselves to arrest.

back to your regularly scheduled programming
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #5993484

LOL Melissa!
Afternoon everyone! We had a pretty good snow shower here this morning. It covered everything! Then the sun came out. That didn't last long though...and it has been cloudy ever since.
Neal...I looked and looked for that pic of my lupines...but haven't found it yet! I'll probably find it when I least expect it! I am so bad about taking pics and uploading them...and then not labeling them! Shame on me.
We ran up to Wally so Dave could get a tv guide...and his V-8 juice. They were out of that on Friday! Still only had the small bottles of V-8 today...so he just got those.
Then stopped at the hardware store to get firestarters...as Wally didn't have the kind I like to use. Some guy came up to me and said he liked my boots...lol!! Said his daughter had a pair of polka dot ones. My are green and yellow plaid. I really didn't even buy them for winter! I bought them for gardening...but...they are warm and waterproof rubber...so hey...why not wear 'em now????
Nothing else going on here.
Oh...Melissa...we were on a level 2 on Saturday...not sure why? There were some slick spots...but not the whole roads??????????? Or maybe we just didn't go on those roads that were bad??

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #5993497

snowing here on and off today
Melissa thanks for the breakdown of the levels :) hmmm i thought level 2 you would get a ticket ? So would a beer run be considered a necessity ? *giggle*
our driveway if you don't have 4x4 you won't make it . solid ice .
did get out for awhile
thanks for the messenger info , looks interesting might have to look into it . thanks :)
Molly hope things get better for your DS. That is a hard one .
Melissa how is the kids ? and how is work going for you ? i m sure you have been busy. :)
bbl
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #5994025

Hey, guys! I ended up being out all day with Howie since he went to Caribou with me when I worked. And today, well, I slept in. Late. Boy, did it feel good. :) If I'd had a hotus tubus last night, it would have been perfection. LOL

The "death storm" ended up fizzling and we didn't have much to deal with at all. I'd put sheets over the car windows, so all Howie had to do was open the car doors and pull the ice-covered sheets off. It's the way to go when you have advanced notice of ice!

Nothing else going on, I work tomorrow and don't know my hours beyond that. I'm filling gaps right now.

Congrats on finding work, Robin!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #5994096

Hey everbody, went to early church this morning, and we had no heat. So it was an abbreviated service. Like to never got warm after I got home. Had plenty of left overs for lunch, so didn't have to cook. Sat in my recliner and read awhile, and then had a little nap on the couch. So a very laid back day.

Just watched the weather, and boy are we in for a very cold next week. Me thinks I will not be going out too much.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #5996240

Checking in to say hey! Hubby is down helping the neighbor again for a few hours today. Kid 2 has a basketball game tonight, at home thankfully.

Kid three had two games yesterday and two wins! I felt really bad for the second team they played yesterday. They had canceled some games and apparently made them ALL up yesterday. There were only five girls and they were dragging when we played them. Then they played another team from our school after that and sometimes only played with four so one kid at a time could get a break. Why did their coach do that to them??

Congrats on the job Ms Robin!

Congrats on getting back to work Kimberley!

Hey Molly! Nice to see you! We hardly get to talk anymore. :(

We got a decent covering snow last night but the roads were cleaned off this morning and the kids went to school on time. Hubby said it was a little slick last night and some goofballs were out doing donuts in lots. I sent him on an ice cream run. I've been very neglected of cravings and midnight runs this pregnancy. LOL

I just got showered and I guess I'll sort laundry and clean off the bookshelf by my desk while Maddie and me are grounded.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #5996342

Morning everyone. Hey Chele! We got snow too! YUK!! Might be about an inch out there.
Looks like I might be in all week too Bonnie! Snow...Ice...Cold...all that keeps me in!
I have some good books to read though...so not too bad. Other than that...NOTHING happening here!!!
We kind of slept in this morning since I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. I ate some potato chips while watching the Golden Globes last night...and had indigestion ALL night! I should know better!!
Well..they were good going down!!! LOL!! I never learn!
Ok...gotta get ready for lunch. Have a great day all!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #5996463

Good Afternoon all... 28* and 2 " of snow here too...Glad I have the day off...Don't feel like dealing with idjits on the highways...I have cut back to 4 day work weeks...so I'm enjoying it...

Congrats Robin on getting the AR job... better than MD in the winter... LOL

I just put out fresh suet cakes in the feeders and have woodpeckers like crazy fighting over them... LOL
Sowed my Poppies this morning in the fresh snow...brought in a couple more pots to repot some houseplants that are getting too big for their britches...LOL

Been doing some rearranging of furniture, and brought the new rug up from the basement...I still have my other one yet to shampoo, but I'm in no rush for that at this point...

Have a great day everyone!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #5996650

Well, I managed to get a load of black clothes in the washer, ate a PB&J, browned the turkey sausage and threw it and the sauce in the crock pot. Then all we have to do is boil the Vermicelli and bake the garlic bread later. I love easy.

There is a monster sink full of dishes as we ran out of dish soap last night and hubby forget to get soap when he went for ice cream. Grrr. I guess he'll be set free from the stove shop soon and he can stop then.

I'm thinking some couch time sounds pretty good since the kids won't start coming home for two more hours. LOL Maddie is happily eating a granola bar and watching a kids movie.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #5996713

Yep.. definitely sounds like Lounge Lizzard time Michele...Tke advantage while ya can... yer days are numbered...ROFLLLL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #5996728

According to my most recent baby mail...66 days and counting!

I wonder if hubby knows what today is?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #5996938

Jules...
I was just rereading this thread... and realized I forgot to answer you...The Vets Closet can always use anything wearable, as there is always someone new comng in to the Domicile...I personally collect lap blankets of any kind for the wheelchair patients...Alot of them smoke, and the smoke house out back is supposed to be heated, but it has always been cold whenever I have been back there hunting down one of my Boyz...I gave Paulie one of the down ones you gave me, and he has praised it a dozen times for when he has to go out to get his mail, or go to the VA down yonder in TN...That amputation gets cold and hurts like the dickens, and that blankie keeps him plenty warm he says...

Just let me know when you are coming, and I will try to be here...
but if not, you can always leave it with Cookie for sure...

As always, we are grateful for anything we get...and we do need shoes too...

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #5997988

Wellllll...I spent my new off day exchanging bedrooms with Jim...It has been an experience...Lily has been trying to devour the vacuum...all of a sudden it is a thing of evil and MUST be destroyed...Annoying to say the least, but absolutely hysterical...

I JUST in the last 15 minutes decided to do away with my huge 4 poster...
I have a brand new queen size bed frame tucked away in the guest room closet...I will hunt down something in my travels for a head board...That bed is a bear to set up and tear down...I will miss it but I guess its time...

We are having leftover chicken & wild rice soup and grilled cheese sammiches for supper...I refuse to cook anything more than that...
We had 2" of the S word here this morning, but it is all gone now, however...we have a weather advisory that it will descend upon us in the wee hours tonight...I still haven't been called with my runs for tomorrow yet, so who knows...

Back to the bedrooms...I'll check in later...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #5998317

Hey all
whew busy day
kids to school
came home elliptical 35 min
lunch
walk in the woods 1 hr and 20 min
got truck washed off
grocery
got kids at school
kids chores
dinner
and i m sitting down on comp
whew
ok i know you all are going to hate me buuuut. I hope we get more snow ! lolll cuz me and the kids want to go sledding !!! we got the most best, coolest slope next to your house ! yeah buddy. A few more inches and we are in business.
Ok you can hate me :P
ttyl
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #5998360

NOT next to MY house ya don't... :-P
BertieL
Franklin, OH

January 13, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #5998438

Sue, we have some very good memories of taking our kids sleding
years ago. When we lived in Gratis ,Oh. there was a huge hill behind our house and we would all go back there playing in the snow. Oh! gee
that was a hundred years ago. We always played in the snow with our kids. It sure brings back memories of yesterday years. Enyoy them now
for time really flies by and they will be gone. We have woods behind our house but no hills. My hubby wanted me to go walking today with him but to lazy.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #5998585

Wellll...It's done...The rooms have been completely swapped out...I am dead but I am also done...The frame to the 4 poster is in the guest room...I will post it on Cheapcycle tonight if I survive my shower...Got the Mirror on Jims dresser and called it quits... as I still have to finish washing and drying the sheets...The mattress pads are drying now and the sheets are next...HE is happy with his new room...Other than the loss of my bed frame, so am I...My dogs are going to spring right over the bed getting in tonight as they are used to that 4 foot jump...I will likely break my neck in the morning getting out of it until I get used to the lower frame... ;-((

Shower time, and wait for the sheets... LOL...;-(

Have a wonderful, non-skiing, non-sliding, UN-eventful day tomorrow...
IF you can get out, buy groceries, be sure you have candles and heating supplies etc...Not that the weather will be all that, but the roads sure will be...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #5998745

good night
i m off to my bed also
i m pooped
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #5998836

THANKS, Melissa...that helps. In AL we just had 'snow' and everything shut down..didnt need levels! :)

We had a two hour delay start for school this morning and my yukon wouldnt make it back up the hill to the neighborhood...so I got to walk to the house. :O

Then the plows came and cleared the street. I am officially sick of this stuff!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #5999024

Well, had a long post typed, and in reaching for a tissue to stifle a sneeze, hit something on the keyboard, and it went poof. So just consider that I had spoken to everybody, and don't have the desire to recreate everything. Drat. You can use your imagination on my comments.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #5999145

Hi, everyone - I'm just popping in to catch up on all your posts. I've not much to report other than another good day at work. I saw a few more of my favorite customers today and had a fun time with Nick. He's 26 and fancies himself quite the ladies man - we love to rib him. He's so funny.

Oh, and Howie got the van back from the mechanic. The guy replaced the back end and we are amazed...It's like a new vehicle. We thought they were ALL loud like it was! We can hear the radio now, can hear each other when we talk. It had been loud ever since we got it from ya, Chele, but we never knew any different! LOL The thing ran like that three years and only in the last month got REALLY loud. But that's all better.

I drove the Jetta to work and back and it never threw that code that makes it go to third gear. The same mechanic who did the van is going to check on the price of a speed sensor for the Jetta. Howie's friend had the transmission in his Dodge rebuilt only to find it still doing the same thing it had been doing...Then, they replaced a sensor and that fixed it. Wouldn't it be great if that's all the Jetta needs?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #5999850

Gw good luck on the jetta and yeah for the van that is great !!! . Car trouble can be such a hassle. When i was young, i had a camaro and its door would fly open if i made a turn to sharp. I tied a rope around the handle and the passanger seat. GOod thing i didn't have any passengers much. Jess was always in the back seat . . I didn't have windsheild wipers for the longest time either. CA was in a drought so i was ok LOLLL
stay warm and safe out there today
kids have a delay uhg.
ttyl
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #5999882

Good Morning... chilly here but not as bad as it will be later in the week when the HIGH temps will be in the teens! I have the interview & test with the Census folks this morning but I have allowed plenty-enough time to enjoy coffee, have breakfast, shower, and warm up the truck without rushing much... The coffee I bought on sale is terrible though. I'll be glad when it's all gone!

Have a wonderful day, stay warm!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6000021

I hate bad coffee...yuk.

Drive in to work was okay. Sounds like it could be a little dicey later today though.

My SILs father passed away last night about 9:30. They just put him in Hospice yesterday. They called and said to come and not to wait until after work, cause he wasn't moving any air. He had COPD. Needed a double lung transplant. He's been sick as long as I've known him. Been on oxygen for years. Doesn't sound like a fun way to go. What I can't believe is that they didn't have a funeral home picked out. They KNEW it was coming! The stepmother had her family calling around for PRICES yesterday. OMG! Doesn't seem like a time to pennypinch to me! Luke is taking it really hard. He is 13 and this is the first loss he has experienced since he's been old enough to comprehend. :o( Poor little guy.

I'll be going to Texas over Memorial Day weekend to meet up with some DG friends. I've only been to the airport in Dallas, so I'm really looking forward to it. Thank goodness for Frequent Flyer miles! ^_^

Dusty is making me tired as always. Suppose she'd come over and move furniture for me? Dusty, I might be interested in your 4-poster. Talk to me before you put it on Cheapcycle, please.

Kim, glad you're having fun back at work. You're such a people person, I bet you were going stir crazy being off for so long.

Waving to all! ~~~~ Have a great day.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6000053

Life's too short for bad coffee, Darius. Sheesh, I sound like a commercial voiceover there. Can you take it back next time you're in town?

I like this motto from Caribou: Life is short. Stay awake for it.

Yes, I was going stir crazy. I was getting depressed, especially when my rehire process kept getting buggered. The timing was good for me when it comes to my shoulder, though; had I gone back to work in November, I would be dealing with shoulder pain. The extra couple of months gave things a chance to settle down, so now I don't have any discomfort even when performing my normal duties there. Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have said this, but with hindsight I see it: it's all good.

The snow was coming down in big flakes when I woke up this morning. It's still snowing, but the flakes are small now. The birdfeeders right outside our big window in the living room have a steady stream of visitors: goldfinches, titmice, chickadees, nuthatches. I'm sure the cardinals, along with the downy, hairy and red-bellied woodpeckers will be around sometime today, too. Our neighbor Mandi has feeders out, too, but she must put out cheap feed, for she has bunches of sparrows and grackles, lots of mess and waste.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6000282

Reporting from Columbus: Way too cold and not enough snow to show for it.
Snow is so much merrier than ice.

Is it time to start seeds in the basement yet?

Dove
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

January 13, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6000316

Hello all from cold and occasionally icy Chillicothe. They do the level thing here too, though like many of you, it was the first I'd seen of it when I moved here. They don't seem to get enough snow here to know what to do with it when it comes. Of course the DH's employer expects him to show up no matter what.

We've been keeping busy (hubby's laid off for a few weeks) remodelling the downstairs bath, putting in a new tub and new insulation, walls and possibly tile and a new window--he's got it in for the old one, though I can't see what's wrong with it myself. But if it gets me a bigger window I ain't kicking, especially if we get it at the cheap-o place over in Massieville that sells reclaimed, wrecked and seconds. they' ve got nice windows over there for next to nothing.

Hopefully the tub will be where it belongs and not in the middle of the foyer by end of day!

Life is *definitely* too short for bad coffee! Especially when you can buy French presses at Wallymart for under $15 these days. Or at least you could before Christmas. Now *that's* coffee! In bed with a thermos of it at my elbow as I type.

Melis, where it's about 35 degrees and cloudy, but preparing to drop like a frozen falcon into the teens later today...

This message was edited Jan 13, 2009 10:36 AM
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

January 13, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6000389

Hi Dovey. i'm thinking it's more like time to round things up and do your final plans--if you haven't already, which it sounds like you have! What are you planting for 2009?--melis
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6000495

Hanging in there here in Fredonia. I know my thing says I live in Newark, but I actually live near the tiny, tiny town of Fredonia. It's beautiful back here in the woods. We had several inches of snow last night, and it is sticking to the ice on the tree branches.

When I went to work in Westerville yesterday (NE suburb of Columbus) they hardly had any snow or ice compared to what I have here. My driveway is a luge run. It's really long with a curve, and has an uphill run for about 1/3 of it. When it's just snow, it is not to bad, but ice - it can be a real trick. Now, there is enough snow to get a bit of traction, but there are at least 2-3 inches of ice under there. I am hoping that no one tries to come in other than me - if you don't know the drive when it is like this - well - I have had to call a neighbor with a huge Kubota tractor to come pull people out. He's rescued me on occasion when the snow gets to deep.

I had another series of shots in my RSD areas yesterday at the neurologist, so I am miserable. It's sort of like trigger point injections, but the doc hits nerve bundles. Hurts like you cannot believe. But, he's been doing them every 2 months, and they do help after they start to work. He doesn't use steroids - which is good.

Was not fun walking in the parking lot at work last night. Was a sheet of ice. I have a handicapped sticker, but they only have one handicapped spot, and someone uses it in the daytime. He is still there when I get in 2nd shift, so I park in the regular lot. Because 1st shift uses the spots closest to the doors when they get there, 2nd shift ends up parking way out in the lot. So - I have quite a ways to walk to my car. When it is bad out, one of the guys usually goes out with me, but still I am so afraid of falling. I bought a new flashlight at an outdoor store for myself for Christmas. It is called a "Surefire" - its a "tactical" flashlight... like police use - it's very very bright. I got it because of walking out in that parking lot when it's bad out! It lights up really well, and you can really tell what is black ice and what is not. You can also use it for a self defense tool. :-)

Well, better get to doing something this morning. I think a long hot date with my shower massage is in order!

Everyone be careful out there today!

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6000536

Hi Melis,
Things are not actually planned, planned... There is a big area where we "plan" to plant stuff.
There are lots of grubs and bugs waiting for us to plant so they can hit the buffet.
Also I'm getting a lot of seed catalogs in the mail (I think the grubs and bugs have actually circled their favorite things) and that along with the lack of snow is making me antsy.

Dove
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6000557

Jules, that's ridiculous...They need to put in an extra handicap space or two! Aren't they required to by law if more than one employee needs one?
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6000612

GW- they tell me that the rules only apply to new construction. Their solution is that I can go out after 5:00 and move my car to the handicap spot. To me, that doubles my risk, because I am out on the ice twice. I have looked online, and everything I see refers to new construction, so they may be right. It's a fine line to walk on how much to push - if I make to much fuss, I am afraid of losing my job. Being an "at will" state or what ever the term is - where people can be fired for any reason or no reason... in this economy - I figure I am better not making to much fuss.

My guys I work with (there are few women at night ) take pretty good care of me. Most times, they even clean my car windows off for me when they go out for smoke breaks. They are really great guys. When there is salt in the building, they salt a path to my car. :-)
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6000640

One parking space for the handicapped, can you petition for more?
Your late night walk sounds dangerous.

Dove
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6000674

Don't employers have to make reasonable accommodation for employees with disabilities? Telling someone you to walk twice as far and move your car hardly does that. :( At least your coworkers take good care of you.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6000825

Just me checking in again. :)

Woke to the phone ringing just before 8am. I hate that. It usually means a school problem and only two were at school. It was our neighbor asking Craig to man the shop again. So hubby is down there. I finally got the same neighbor's bulldog site up. Yay!

Then there was a knock at the door at 9am. I swear people are trying to give me panic attacks. Morning is my computer time so I had to answer the door half dressed and barefoot. It was really &))*)*&^ cold out there! It was a lady I met on freecycle a year or two ago. I'd been trading her baby girl clothes for bigger girl clothes. She came over to drop off baby boy stuff. She said she'll have more once they get into their storage unit. No worries about my new baby boy going naked for at least the first 6-9 months of life. LOL

Maddie spent a good hour bringing me little clothes one at a time so we could discuss them then she folded each and put the stack in a laundry basket. She's begged for a new baby for the last 2-3 years and she's really excited that she's finally getting one! She's in mommy mode big time.

Carly and I went to Kristenne's basketball game last night. They won! It stinks that we can't all go to all of the games but with finances what they are, we are happy that any of us make it to any of the games. I think the kids need the support. Hubby did totally forget our anniversary (like normal!) so I told him Carly was my date last night. I'm mean.

I guess I'm going to throw on some laundry then make some homemade egg noodles. It feels like a good night for some comfort food and it's very filling. Hubby is going to have to make a grocery run when he gets home from the shop. We are running low on EVERYTHING!

Y'all try to keep warm and be safe!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #6001532

Mmm, egg noodles sounds really good. I made tuna casserole about a week ago, using Klusky store bought ones we'd had sitting in the cupboard forever. That was a comfort food meal for sure. Send me the link to the bulldog site, will you? I'd love to see it!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #6001615

I can't remember what brand we used to buy. They are the really thick ones (like at Bob Evans) in the frozen food. A lady at church brought in turkey and noodles one night and I complimented her on the noodles so she told me how easy they are to make! Works out well since I normally have and abundance of eggs. ;)

I have a recipe for a tuna noodle casserole with the big noodles as well as one with a cream sauce but haven't tried them yet.

I think I can post the bulldog site since nothing is for sale right now. I'm waiting for more pictures from him and I need to get over and get pictures of his new litter.
www.bulldog-kennels-of-lynchburg.com
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6002063

Hey, Folks,
Just checking in to let you know I'm alive & kicking. Didn't realize that it had been so long since I'd checked in. I got busy with the before Thanksgiving, & never got unbusy. "Busy" is a relative for me--- if I'm busy for 2 or 3 hours then I have to take the next day off for a recuperative comatose day in bed. But we had a wonderful Thanksgiving & CHristmas so I'm not complaining.
I got everyone a microbe toy for their stocking. It's just abt the size of a dog toy, except it's made in the shape of a microbe & magnified abt a million times, & then they put eyes on it to make it cute. So we are holding up in the picture below the bugs for typhoid fever, ulcer, ebola, toxic mold, lyme disease, etc. I wanted to give people something interesting to say when asked "What did you get for Christmas?"
Hope everyone had great holidays.
Pat

Thumbnail by goshsmom

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #6002086

Microbe toys? That's hysterical! My mom gave me a molded rubber "peabrain" hat one year. It was shaped like a pile of green peas with a pat of butter on it.

Chele, that looks good! Don't forget to put a page title on there so it says his business name and not "home" in the title bar of the browser. That will help with traffic, too.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6002163

Cute doggies
Hmmm Daylilly_Oh i would fall on the ground a cry " I couldn't get to my car and i fell " they might get you a spot closer to park. LOL :) it just doesn't sound right to me that they only have one handicap space. Have you seen them things you stick on your shoes and they have spikes on them like a golf shoe ? i saw them in a catalog I just can't remember which one ? i will look around for it. That might help ?
well not much here
got one kids in the tub
one kids playing nintendo. I don't care what people say about them games. IT keeps my sanity on snowing days and winter weekends ! T cant stand it but he isn't here is he ? LOLLL
ttyl
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6003030

Hey friends, I have peeked in a time or two today. It has been a busy one. Had some errands to run this morning, and when I got home, had to do church giving statements, then I did the 1099's for the church employees, and then started working on the cemetery data base again, and still. This is the part that will take the longest, as we are trying to locate relatives, and then addresses. I did pretty good by myself this afternoon.

We have had snow flurries on and off today, but I went out about 5 pm., and it is really getting cold. Supposed to be this way the rest of the week.

I wish I could talk about growing things, and weeding and planting and , well you know spring and summer things, but the closest I have been to dirt lately, is looking at all the catalogs that are coming in. Some of them have some yummy looking plants, but I haven't started making any lists yet.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6003338

Our friends William and Rebecca welcomed their firstborn to the world this evening. Meet Aiden! http://www.decloned.com/aidan-is-here Rebecca went into the hospital last night to prepare for being induced this morning. They've had a looong 24 hours.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6004145

LOL, Pat! I love the toy microbes! That's too funny, I gotta find some my nutty health environmentalist friend!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6004246

Welllll... I pulled a Bonnie/Marcy last night, and sat here and typed, and it went into cyberspace...

I didn't get home til almost 9pm last night, and only had one pickup in Hillsboro at Rocky Fork Lake, set for 11, but I called him first and good thing I did...He said it is snowing so hard he can't see the trailer next door and he wasn't about to risk either of our lives for a non urgent appointment...I called Dispatch, and she said 2 Wheelie drivers went home sick, and all of the out of towners have cancelled...I am waiting on a dialysis lady here less than 5 mins from the house to go at 10:15 back to Miamisburg, and I guess I will be running my wheels off in town today..

ROFLLL at the Microbes Pat... that is hysterical!!

Juli...If nothing else, could you not get one of your guys to Move your car into the space when they go out for a smoke break???
I'm thinking, grandfather clause or no...I believe they are required to have 4 handicap spots per 80 parking spaces by law...I remember us trying to get the new facility for the Amvets, and the state guy told us that...Americans with Disabilities Act...I wouldn't make waves at the company either but you can drop a dime on them with the state guy...Just have them come an do an anonymous inspection for non conformity...What's it gonna cost them??? 3-4 lousy signs???

Just went out to fire up the Wheelie...Bitter cold out there, but the snow has stopped for the moment...

You all have a great day, and stay warm...Don't go out unless you absolutely have to with these wind chills...

Heres another driveway for ya...LOL

Thumbnail by DustyDS

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #6004296

Hmmmm...you must live in the boondocks... ;o)

Natorps sent their newsletter out today and it had a reference to Dave's Garden in it. How cool is that? He was talking about mail ordering and said to go to Dave's first to check out the Watchdog.

Just starting to snow here in West Chester. I just remembered I don't have anything in the truck to get the snow off of it when I leave today. Hopefully we have a broom here...
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6004440

Dusty, its not just signs. All but 2 of our entrances have at least one step up into the building of some sort, some doors have a small flight of steps. They had to rework the entrance where the one handicapped spot is. There really is not a way to add another spot by that door, and have room for a van to unload a wheelchair there. The only other place that does not have a step is by the shipping door, where I go in now, and it is a long way to that door through the lot to the first space. Probably at least a hundred feet, and it's got quite an uphill grade. Not good for wheelchair. So, the company would really have to do a lot, at a lot of expense, to redo an entrance for wheelchair access. To hang a blue sign, it has to have wheelchair access at that door. I did look up the disabilities act, and all I can find is for new construction. I can't find anything for existing structures. Although I think I did read something about hospitals and government buildings had to have the spaces even if not new. The simple thing would be to hang a "Reserved" sign, not a blue sign at one of the entrances and just assign me a space in the winter. That is all I need. But they didn't offer.

Had phone call while typing - now running low on time.

Hope everyone has good day. Expecting snow today - will make my driveway even more fun - NOT!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6004959

It's my friend Rann over in Iceland daughter's 6th Birthday .

Please feel free to DMail her daughter Hildur Eva and wish her a happy one. Pictures if you can.

http://davesgarden.com/members/rannveig/

She'll flip out! LOL!

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6004993

Dusty could you help me find my driveway ?

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6004999

here is the back porch of a pot i forgot to take in

Thumbnail by taynors

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6005007

still snowing here.
school had a two hr delay then they were going to dismiss at 1:30 ? so what is the point . So we didn't go to school today.
ds is on the nintendo and dd is playing with her new dollhouse. Glad i got that !! she has been playing with it since she woke up at 8 am today .
still snowing -12 i think
but it sure is pretty
can't find the driveway but i did manage to brail drive it to get my trash out :)
ttyl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6005105

LOL Sue! What's the problem?? Just steer toward the opening between the trees. LOL My kids get/got out 2 hours early today too. Yesterday they were saying if we had a 2 hour delay, they'd probably just close the school as everyone had already made arrangements for the early dismissal.

Jules, that really stinks about the parking. I'm thinking a bit of parking lot paint is a whole lot cheaper than the lawsuit when someone gets hurt.

Kimberley, thank you for the website hint. I did change that title. :)

And thank you to Renee the bulldog lover for catching a typo. I had copied and pasted a few paragraphs from his old website and didn't spell check them. Whoopsie.

I'm counting on those prayers for tomorrow! I hope the weather holds out! Craig's interview is in the morning in Northern Kentucky. He ran down to the neighbor's shop for a bit and I need to get his hair cut sometime today.

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6005390

Yipee! We finally have a proper snow, I love it, looking out the window must be what it would look like if you lived in a snow globe. It's a lovely winter wonderland out there.

Dove
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #6005402

I reminded Howie that Craig's interview is tomorrow, and we're both praying for him to have peace and wisdom -- and favor. Lots of favor! :)

The snow is beautiful. It w as really coming down for a while during the noon hour; it's still coming down, but in a lull for a bit. I took the girls on a walk in it. The school has a fenced-in kiddie playground and it is still accessible despite the school being fenced off during its renovation. Emma loves going to the playground since she can run freely. Well, she ran her poor feet ragged in the snow and all four were bleeding when we headed home. She hadn't been limping, just running and playing with Sarah, but when we paused at the gate for her leash, I saw blood in the snow. Poor girlie.

Lots of stuff has been canceled around here for the evening. I think it's a good night to watch a movie. We got 27 Dresses from Netflix, so maybe tonight's the night. Wish we had popcorn!

This message was edited Jan 14, 2009 2:48 PM
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 14, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6005473

Howdy, All! Sure thought us heading SW would have taken us away from the cold. Still cold, but thankfully, no snow. Not to say that I don't love the snow, as long as we and everyone else is tucked away safely and warmly at home!

We're 15 miles from the Texas state line in a town of less than 5,000. Arrived last night and have already explored the town...Dollar General, tiny Walmart, library, thrift store, antique mall, grocery store, but no laundry mat. What's up with that?

Hope everyone stays safe and sound!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6005645

OH, my, I ran across a funny (sick funny) thread at Amazon in their forums. The person wonders, I'm thinking of eating some of my unnecessary flesh to save money during this recession. I'm curious on whether my own flesh would have the necessary nutrients to fulfill my daily needs for survival? http://www.amazon.com/tag/health/forum/ref=cm_cd_et_up_redir?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1EO24KZG65FCB&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx1F0ICAK2OOGWQ&newContentID=Mx1F77NX6J37XCD#Mx2LKOUQNPU6U11

It's dark humor - just fyi.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6005687

Bleck! I recently read about a plastic surgeon that got into trouble for turning excess body stuff into a fuel. LOL

Robin, did you move to my town? LOL Of course, we have a Dollar General, Marathon Gas that has a deli/pizza shop and a First Stop along with some other quaint shops (and a laundry mat!). We have to go 12 miles to get to a grocery, Walmart or Kmart!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6005849

Sounds like the situation at Prizer Point Marina, where we stay for the DG Roundups! The Wal-Mart is a 32-mile round trip, so if you have to go there, you make darned sure you don't forget anything. LOL
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6005873

Hellooooooooooooo

Back online since my satellite froze up Monday. How is everybody???

Boy oh Boy have I had some craziness dealing with those Dishnetwork clods. Amazing some of those people made it out of kindergarten.

Not much to report from me. 12 degrees going down to subzero for the next few days. I am barracaded indoors.

Gonna go answer some dmail and stuff.

Talk later

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #6006019

LOL Chelle , yeah but i don't want to chance running over my peonies :) T&P for Craig and his interview !!! ( holding hands in prayer)
Toni that is to funny " how they made it out of Kindergarten " LOL crack me up
dovey yeah your right it does look like your in a snow globe. Neat
it is pretty, but to cold to play in !! i wan't to go sledding !!
I guess it would depend on your diet on how nutritional your body meat is "ewww" LOL I think i would taste like Capt Crunch and Pringles chips LOLLLLL
its still snowing outside
ttyl
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6006127

I don't wanna go to work tomorrow. It'll be c-c-c-cold in the drive-thru window, I bet!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6006185

Put yer Carharts on Kimberley!!! LOL

Heyyy Robin... Ifn ya gots a DG and a Thrift store.. what more do ya want?? LOL...

I called Cookie at 2pm and told her to try to get out of work early as it was getting ugly down our way...Took me an hour to get home, as I hit a wreck on 123 and a policemans funeral, trying to get around the wreck... I was sure slipping on some of the roads...Sat in a 15 car pile up just past Tipp City over an hour till I could get off I -75 N... Called the patient in Sidney and told him I wasn't coming, and he said that's fine, cause I ain't going!!! LOL Happens to be a regular of mine...and with my Hillsboro patient cancelling early too, that was a blessing...Snow quit just as I got home at 3pm and has just started falling again...

Ummmm Ifn I can give yall a tiny tip that have to be out in this garbage...
If you are going to be over an hour...Lift your wiper blades up off the windshield...If it was wet, it will stop them from freezing to the glass, and if you get a ton of *s*... you can clean the windshield properly without them in the way...It saves wear and tear on the rubber too...also, if you havent changed them in a year, now is past time to do it...I changed the ones on the Wheelie 3 weeks ago at my own expense, because I happen to like seeing where I'm going, and waiting for a maintenence order, is like me getting pregnant again...AINT GONNA HAPPEN!!!
I get my own Oil changes done when they are scheduled, and they have an account there...open till 9pm, so lots of times late after work or days like today, early done, so I swing by and get it taken care of...Oh yeah... and if you get alot of slime on the windshield that the washer fluid is not getting off, add a pint of white vinegar to the fluid...It disolves road grime...If you get desperate, Wash it down with a can of Coke.. NOT Pepsi...and wipe the blades with it too...Don't laugh...It eats road grime like no tomorrow...I never have coke, cause I don't drink it, but I do have a pint bottle of vinegar in my ditty bag in the Wheelie...LOL

You stay in that house ((((Toni))))...even if you gotta eat paste...We don't need you breaking any more bones!!!

Darius...In my vanishing post last night, I mentioned to you that I get Folgers at the Dollar General for usually around $6 for a 3 lb can... However, I got 2 - 3lb cans at Krogers this week for about 50 cents cheaper per can when it was on sale...

I just went out and refilled my bird feeders, and I'm now out of regular bird seed, so gotta snag some tomorrow...I still have half a 5 gal bucket of the Niger Mix for my finches etc...I should have a decent check Friday, and will just stock up...I need some critter mix too for my Squirrels and Doves...

I just called Cookie and she was at Krogers here by us and on her way home...Shes got a lotta nerve calling MY driveway the Boondocks!!! At least hers is blacktopped...LOL

Sueees...Go about 30 feet down and hang a right ... ROFLLLLL
You be safe up there my dear!!!! Use the Kabota to do trash!!! You need to park that thing under the porch by the door...

Chele... Belated Happy Anniversary to you and prayers in the Smoke for Craig...My spousal unit has not remembered our anniversary since the year we were married till some many months later...Apparently not a priority with some small headed thinking males... ;-(

Juli...I dunno what to say...Just hand your keys over to one of your *Buds* and ask them to move it for you, or bring it to you when your shift is over...Very sad situation to say the least...and very worrisome to those of us who care about you...Big hugs to Mother H from me...

Now... I just had a phone call from a gal in the Hamilton office of Soc. Sec...You will please Pardon a WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

When I got my first SS check in Oct...I assumed it was correct... Not happy with it, but Oh welllllll...Apparently, someone had begun process on my wifes benefits, but never finished them...SHE, dear girl... fixed it...My check has now doubled +, and I was so excited, I dunno if she said this month or next, and I don't care which...but it will be retro to October whichever way it goes...and they are Still working on my Widows benefits from 100 yrs ago from my first spousal unit...Yeah..the one in the book...Apparently I have more coming...Hmmmmm...
They know more about me than even I remember !!!!

I'm off to...HA!! Fooled ya...thought I was gonna say start supper... NOT!!!
Brought that home for Jim...I am off to my bedroom to hang my wall hangings, and get my duvet cover on the duvet...I actually got cold this morning, whereas in the other bedroom I didn't...I had the floor vent closed in there, window open, and still woke in a sweat...So I am delighted we switched rooms for no other reason than that...and he is happy as a clam in a new shell in his new room, so all is well...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6006215

Thanks Dusty. :)

27 here, headed to 10 which is the high for tomorrow. They are saying the low for tomorrow will be -4. The kids already have a 2 hour delay.

I'm hoping Kristenne's game will be canceled for tomorrow night. It's all the way in Ripley and they are supposed to go by bus. If they close the schools, they will cancel the game. I can hope! Otherwise she is stuck there for like 3 games and won't get home until late and will need picked up.

Dang, it's cold!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6006325

Dusty, I usually buy Folgers coffee... and this nasty coffee IS actually Folgers, but a very dark roast called "Black Silk"... and I usually like dark roasts! This is the worst coffee since the coffee at the Chief's club on base, where they NEVER washed the pot, even the normally clear glass pot was black.

I'm with everyone, about the cold. But at least I don't have to go anywhere except to pick up my script refills...

The Census test yesterday was interesting... about 10 in our group. The test was 28 questions, limited time of 30 minutes... you got Test A, B, or C so the person next to you had a different test and no one could look over your shoulder to cheat. Couldn't even keep a hat on, nor anything personal (like a purse or soda) on the table, lest you have hidden answers. But I swear, some of those folks were dumber than shoe leather judging by the questions/remarks before the testing began.

Stay warm!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 14, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #6006329

Well I am going to add **Pray for cancel** to the Smoke...I know it's important to them, but I would never allow one of mine on the roads the way they are tonight...Especially with some of these recent bus driver accidents I've seen, not to mention some of their driving I've seen up close and personal...I sure hope those you have down there care more than these Dayton ones do...They speed and tailgate and run redlights!!!
Scare the poop outta me!!!
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #6006341

I was cheered this morning...with dreary weather and just depressing TV news and just you know the 'I am tired of winter woes'...

These greeted me this morning...I have been waiting for them to find the feeder!

Tufted Titmouse

This message was edited Jan 14, 2009 6:53 PM

Thumbnail by Henygirl

Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6006350

And this one...there were several of these! :)

American Goldfinch

This message was edited Jan 14, 2009 6:53 PM

Thumbnail by Henygirl

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6006367

darius LOL dummer than shoe leather LOLLL crack me up girl. To funny.
Dusty congrats on the checks . That is always a nice surprise when it happens. :) Glad you made it home ok and Cookie too.
Went out and shoveled the snow of the back deck and the fromt stairs. Needed to get out and do some physical stuff. DD came with me and she had a blast .
YEs the Kabota is under the front deck. BUt i take the truck , since i use it to take the kids anyway that direction .
Snow finaly stopped ,but i m sure it won't last long .
Well not much else here.
ttyl
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 14, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6006372

Heny those are great pics !
i miss my blue birds at our old house :(
and the cardinals in the snow where always so pretty

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6006443

Well, now Heny has me feeling guilty that my feeders are empty, esp. NOW when it's so cold. Guess I'll have to remedy that tomorrow... too dangerous for me to get on the ladder in the dark.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6006452

I am spoiling these with suet as well...you just cant see it in the picture! :) But they ate so much today I may have to put the little guys on a budget!! :O

I was proud for now!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6006523

Thanks Heny!! NOW I know what a Titmouse is...I have tons of them here...They especially love my peanutbutter suet cakes... I have 3 different kinds of woodpeckers so far...all my finches and chickadees... cardinals...my beautiful mourning and ring necked doves, tho I only saw the ring necked once so far...Doves are a special treat to me...They have to do with GrandFather who lives with me...oh yeah... I am blessed with birds...I think it is just too kewel when I see their lil tiny tootsie tracks in the snow across the edge of the porch...When I go out to fill feeders...they don't leave...They just sit in the upper branches of the Mimosa and peep at me to hurry up...dozens of them!!! Amazes me...
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6006566

Dusty I hope to get some others soon...this house was new construction so there wasnt any covering other than the natural trees but most of them are pretty tall and not so cushy for nests. I plan to put some houses on the trees near our eye level so next winter we may have some residence instead of pit stoppers. :) I am just so proud I had some this morning...it sure does bring a smile to your face.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6006628

CHIEFS CLUB??? As in Squid Base Cawfee????? YECHHHHH!!!!

Only Squid cawfee I ever had that was decent was onboard the USS HOPE in the Captains quarters just one time and a cup and a half while my Huey was reloading emergency supplies we desperately needed and couldn't get to because of weather and artillery firestorms...My crew risked life and limb that very dark and stormy night, on my orders, to go get what we needed for the field camp to keep my babies alive...the surgeons were desperate, and we had to have supplies...It was a rocky ride to say the least...and I won't tell you I flew the Huey back to base camp to give my pilot a more than needed rest break...My WO was floored because he was relatively new to us and had no clue I was a licensed pilot...
I think his Mama San made extra on his laundry that week... ;-P

YIKES!!!!!!!! I am used to Battery acid ARMY Cawfee...Re brewed 5 times and added to grounds...O Club was nasty enough but I stole grounds for the Non Coms pots...They thought it was ambrosia... ROFL... Never saw that black silk, but thanks to you I'll refrain...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #6007071

Hello all, Heny nice birdie pics. I need to get out tomorrow and refill my feeders also. It was so cold that we skipped Bible Study tonight, and stayed home. I have been on the Linksys tech chat for 2 hours trying to get my router problems fixed, and they are!!

Chele, I will be sending many prayers for Craig tomorrow, and prayers for the school closing.

Dusty, I got notice of my measley 1% raise I get for retirement today, but I lost all of the raise, plus some, because the cost of my insurance had gone up. So I need you to share some of your largesse with me!!

Darius, I have never seen that blend of Flogers, but thanks for the heads up on it, if I see it, I definitely won't buy it. We drink folgers, and usually use the breakfast blend. It is a good mild coffee, and since we only drink it in the morning, it is good enough for us.

Jules, maybe you can go get one of the handicapped parking stickers, and just park next to the handicapped parking spot, or get one of the guys to move your car, when they are out on break. Bribe them with some homemade goodies if need be. Bet that would result in everybody wanting to move your car.

It is terribly cold here, and we have a dusting of snow. It began late afternoon, and I suppose we have 1-2 inches, nothing that would make travel hazardous. But you don't have to worry about me traveling, I ain't getting out in the cold.

Hey Toni, satellites suck sometimes. I have Wildblue, and always have problems, especially in cloudy weather. Never had mine to freeze though. Is yours Hughesnet? If so I would be interested in hearing about their service. I am thinking of changing providers, when my contract expires.

Robin, glad that you are at your destination, and keep checking in. Although we don't want to hear weather reports that put you in a much warmer position than we are.

~~~ to anybody that I didn't mention.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6007179

Nope I have Dishnetwork. About half the price of Hughesnet. I put my internet through them (big mistake) and am gonna change back to ATT if I stay up here.

Speaking of...I may have a buyer. Operative word being MAY. My across the street neighbor (Ashley's Mom) is wanting to move out of the house with Ashley and her husband but wants to be close to her grandkids. If she can swing financing it just may work. Only thing is I don't have much equity so I won't make a whole lot but I will be out from under which is a good thing.

Any good rentals down that way??? 3 bedrooms with a yard and a garden in an area I won't get raped and pillaged????

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6007222

Yeah, we have a rental, but won't be rentable till spring.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6007234

Cannibalism is what caused Mad Cow disease (feeding beef to beef in order to "beef up" the protein content in their grain)
In humans it has a similar effect, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD)
I heard the first symptom is poor taste, followed by bad puns, it rapidly progresses until the sufferer ultimately ends his or her days making up unrepeatable limericks.
The good news is that with autocannibalism, they never harm others and usually wind up spending their days reading Stephen King's short story "Survivor Type".

OK it's late and my humor is getting weird
Good night everyone

Dove
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #6007239

Dovey, I already have bad tase, think I am on my way?
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #6007272

I dunno - We'll have to keep a close watch for bad puns, personally I find bad taste not all that bad.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #6007289

... and then there are the folks that have all of their taste in their mouths.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #6007295

Amen, to that!!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6007322

Dear Gang,
I'm so proud to be a trendsetter for gifts. Maybe I should come up with my own knock-off line of microbe-based toys. I could have different goups, color coded, like "Basically Bacteria" or "Virtual Viruses" or "Superhero Cells" that help you fight infections. Do you think the guy that's on "House" would like to endorse them? LOL. Maybe if I'd had these 20 years ago my son would now be My Son the Doctor, not my son, the guy who works in health care administration but with a job so technical nobody really understands it.
Nice bird photos, Heny! Do you have junkos, in addition to the others? I rarely notice them until it snows, then they just kinda pop out because of their coloring. I'll see if I can find a link to a picture...
Blessings be poured!
Pat
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #6007339

Bird-watchers--
Here's a link to a lot of dandy bird photos. There's a junko pictured with a couple chickadees early on in the thread.
I loved the tufted titmouse--- I have several regulars at my feeders. I call them Fonzie or rock & rollers because their head feathers look like they're been done up with Brylcreem.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3149921

Pat
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
7:13 AM

Post #6007545

Dovey, thanks! You made me laugh aloud! And you provided the title to that short story, Survivor Type. I couldn't remember it and didn't feel like looking it up at the time.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6007816

Goodmorning, My Dear Friends!

Nope, I won't be teasing you with the fact that it's warmer down here, cuz it's @#$%^&* cold here, too!

Had to laugh at the coffee discussion, as I sit here for the 2nd day trying to drink a nasty cup of coffee. I'm really particular about my coffee and only buy Folger's classic roast. I cleaned the coffee pot yesterday, so it's got to be either the coffee is old or the water is really really bad here. I knew we should have brought the faucet mounted water filter!

Stay safe!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6007876

Next worst thing to bad coffee is great coffee with nasty water!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6007995

I am so fussy about my coffee, I like a strong French or Columbian roast with real half and half.
If it's too weak, or there is only milk to lighten it with, my entire coffee drinking experience is ruined for the day.
Some days when things are really off the only solution is an emergency trip to Starbucks for the anti venom, a Vente Latte with 3 spendas.

And by the way, what's up with additives in the half and half?
Is there any good reason they need to put sodium citrate and disodium phosphate in my half and half?

It was 4 degrees when I got up today *shivers*

When I bundle up and go out to feed the birds I sprinkle bird seed on the windowsills so I can watch them eat. Right now we mostly have Nuthatches and Cardinals, I saw a Blue Jay this morning, he flew away - all the food is under several inches of snow.
There are Downey Woodpeckers and Red-bellied Sapsuckers but they go for the suet hanging in the oak tree and don‘t come near the windows.

Cheers
Dove
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #6007999

Good morning all!
I guess I'm an odd ball. I love the "Black silk" coffee. I am trying a new type right now called "South Pacific" by Maxwell house. Love those dark roasted coffees and I drink them black. I need help from you all. We are all here in the house trying to cut back on fats and sugars(carbs). We all "plumped" up a bit in the last year. Me especially. We are cooking homemade meals. My boys are not too happy, but we are losing weight and hopefully getting more healthy.

Last night I made BBQ chicken. You boil the chicken, then skin it and put sauce on and bake. First time there was left overs. It wasn't bad, but I usually fry the chicken and then put sauce on and bake. We are baking and grilling everything, but what I would give for a fried pork chop and biscuits and cream gravy! Anyway, do any of you have a simple meatloaf recipe. Something simple that I would have around the house. Of course the meat will be drained and prob dry. Is there something I could add to keep the meat juicy and drain the fat off?

Well all my test are back and apparently I have sleep apnea. Went for a sleep study and my O2 was falling under 88% at night. Going through my insurance channels I am on O2 at night until the cpap(sp) machine comes in. I do feel so much better in the morning. Went to sleep at 10pm last night and woke up fresh this morning at 7:30am. I hate getting old!, but again my sister and mother both had excess tissue in their throat which cased the same condition. My mother had it removed. My sister is on a cpap machine. My grandmothers lived to be 98 and 88. My grandfathers were 42 and 62. You can guess who I got the bad genes from.

It is cold this morning! I put down more bedding this week for critter's and need to go see that everyone made it through the night. I have some old girls out there(chickens) and I worry every cold snap we get. The saving grace is I installed all CFL in all my light fixtures and have plants growing and blooming in every room. My orchids and begonia's really like the CFL's. They are blooming their heads off. The amaryllis are also just starting to bloom also.(got them last year at lowes for .99. I need to go check what they have left form this year) I am really itching to start some seed. That seed box is calling my name. I got some seed I normally could not afford through a coop here on DG and can't wait to start them.

Well I guess thats about all thats going on in my little world. I love my SO dearly, but the hours have been cut at work and we are having to deal with each other now. I lived alone for so many years and loved it. When he was working full time I got that alone time. Now not so much. Hey, after 9 years we can occasionally get on each others nerves! LOL The one thing I can say is we have never had a fight in 9 years. I guess I am pretty blessed, but I am always right! LOL
Hugs all around
George
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6008156

George,
I don't know about boiling, then baking chicken... oh my gosh. I would imagine you would cover up the lack of flavor by adding more BBQ sauce and thereby forfeiting your original goal of cutting calories.

If your cooking a chicken breast or legs and thighs, or even a whole chicken: soak it in a brine over night or marinade with a dry rub (like Mrs. Dash).
Bake it with the skin on, if it's a whole chicken bake it breast down so all the juices with keep that breast mean moist.
Remove the skin before serving, or remove the skin then add your BBQ sauce and cook a few minutes longer.

In our house we never toss the chicken ones, they go into the crock pot, cover with water and cook overnight. Strain the next day and you have fabulous chicken broth for soup, stew or a pot of beans.

Adding chopped mushrooms to your meatloaf will add moisture and flavor.

1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup (cooked) brown rice - you can use oatmeal
1 egg
1 lg. stalk celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 c. green pepper, chopped
1/4 c. mushrooms, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Mrs Dash
Pepper to taste

Mix all together and put in loaf pan and bake for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees (don't overcook or it'll dry out).

If you really miss gravy you can get a can of either cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup, stir it up so it's not a big glob, add just a dribble of water to it and pour it over your meatloaf before baking. Yum...

If you want 1/4 potatoes can place them in the roasting dish along with the meatloaf you'll have a ready made meal of meat, potatoes & gravy.

Dove
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6008160

George I have people coming to work on the cemetery data base, but I will be happy to dmail you a meat loaf recipe, later in the day. It is good, baked, and you can get all the fat out.

Cold here this morning too, but I am not going anywhere.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6008168

Our feeders are right outside the living room window. The cats and dogs love it! Our cheeky squirrel friend that's been here two or three years isn't making any appearances. He has a unique area of raised fur on his back, probably over a scar, so he was easy to recognize. Hmmmmm. Here's the feeders, with Snoopy awaiting the next show: http://www.gardenwife.com/wp-content/uploads/wpid-6501.jpg

George, good to see you!

Okay, I'd better get ready for work. At least it's Noon-6 today so the drive's worth my time. LOL I need to remember to grab some candles and a blanket to have in the van.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6008172

George, I know what you mean about too much togetherness! We've had about 8 months this past year. Not so bad in the summer, when I can play in the dirt and/or he can work in the shed (no heat for the cold temps). This past three months have been hard on us, to say the least. Thank Heavens this job came when it did...don't know how much longer I could handle 24/7's! LOL!

Re: meatloaf. I add an egg, crushed crackers, chopped onions and seasonings. Might try an inverted pie pan under the meatloaf inside a larger pan, so that more of the grease drains.

Ditto on the milk in coffee. never could acquire a taste for it. I love my coffeemate or half & half!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6008213

dovey to funny on the Survivor thing.
Coffee well i m a coffee snob . I drink Peets . Krogers finaly has it !! yeah . Expensive but it last me 6 months. since i only drink 4 cups at most and i make it more weak than most people like. I used to drink it like tar ... thick ,black and sweet :)
i tried the Dunkin Donut coffee but its bitter an i can't see how it can be ranked 1# ?? but then people like Starbucks ? why ? its soo bitter .
Geo glad to see you posting . Yeah that apnea doesn't sound fun. :( hope your chickens stay warm
well nothing here
school closed
level 1
wind chill warning
this bites big time Cabin fever is setting in "ack"
ttyl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6008619

Woo hoo! Whopping 10 degrees here now. Started at 9, went down to 8 then back up to 9. Sun came out and up to 10.

Hubby went to his interview so I got to let the chickens out today. The kids had a 2 hour delay but I couldn't talk any of them into it. Brats! So I get on some sweats, a big tshirt, a big sweat shirt, two pairs of socks and my beanie boots. I grabbed hubby's hat and gloves and off I went. I've not tried to wear regular XL sweats recently. So I'm fighting the wind and the bit of breezing snow, being about knocked over by dogs, stormed by chickens...the baby is kicking and my pants keep rolling down. It wasn't pretty! I set them all free and got them food. Mr. nasty rooster wasn't even in the mood to attack me.

I gave up on pulling up my pants and left them rolled around my hips. Who cares?! I live in the middle of nowhere and my sweat shirt is long enough to cover the hump. All four waterers are frozen solid so they got a hot shower and are sitting in the tub for a few. Every time I pull my pants back up, the baby kicks until I pull them back down or he knocks them down. Guess the kid is gonna be feisty. LOL

Only 9 weeks to go. I'll be happy if he hangs in for the next 7. I don't want to push my luck. :)

So...how is the day going for the rest of you??
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009

Post #6008699

Chele - just want to say good luck for hubby on interview. I forgot to say that when I posted last. I sure hope he finds work soon. I can't imagine the stress you are under.

Edited because I didn't want to cross forum guidelines.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2009 3:58 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009

Post #6008701

Good Morning... not much going on here so I'm just checking to see what interesting lives the rest of you have!

Geo... sleep apnea is the pits. I was on O2 at night for it (loved how I felt on O2) but they took me off as my last sleep test fell just short of the numbers needed for Medicare to pay for either O2 or a CPAP machine. My oldest brother is on a CPAP and so is his wife... at least their machines running at night don't disturb each other.

Chele, you must have been a real beauty in the chicken pen this morning!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6008737

Thanks Jules! I don't know if I am up to the skill level Curt is accustomed to. I'm still learning. I am however easy to work with, willing to make changes, always learning and up to the challenge! If I could do 2-3 websites a month, it would sure make a difference in our lifestyle. LOL

I was amazed to see what my neighbor was paying for Yahoo! I saved him $247 this year by simply combining them and moving them. I also saw that GoDaddy charges $50 a month do do a site for you and do the updates, but you only get 30 minutes a month. It's harder for me to get the pictures and info from my neighbor than it is to add them. ;)

I'm looking into getting an associates or bachelor's in IT/web design. I enjoy doing them, just wish I knew more!

Darius, "real beauty" is not what I felt like, stomping around in poop, food and dirty snow while trying to keep my pants up! LOL The birds were very happy to see me though.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 15, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6008909

I'll have to say Bobby has done a much better job last year and this year for me. He had my pricelist up and the gallery prices updated in 2 days.

Chele, very nice job. I wish I had the computer talent. Alas, I can screw up a ball bearing!

Jules, it would be nice to see Curt's current pricelist. You know how much I love his stuff... :-))

Janet
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6008914

Edited because I didn't want to cross forum guidelines.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2009 4:04 PM
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6008928

Janet - you posted when I did - yeah, I have heard that Bobby is doing better now. I am glad. I like Bobby, and really respect him for being an Army Ranger. I know he went through a tough spot there for a while.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6008990

Is this his most recent site? http://crintonicgardens.net/

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6009055

I did my log home through apple .me it was fun and easy. If its the same thing ?
wish i knew more on it. I am going to get the Mac for Dummies book to learn more on this darn thing.
Chelle we all think your puuuuuurdy not matter what kind of poop your walking in LOLLLLL
snow removal guy is here
so far he hasn't drove over my circular flower bed in the middle of the driveway. Whew like i said "so far so good"
oh i can't wait to order more flowers daylillies
well still inside
did some school work with the kids
did the elliptical for 45 min
and its not even 2 yet uhg.
Bonnie forgot to tell you i redid the pickled beets and it worked well. I boiled them in the mixture then cooled in a jar and put in fridge and ate them for about a week . they got a little soft but were good.
got my first seed catalog of the year yeah . SSE. i love them
i love there bean selection
ttyl
sue
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6009271

Bird folks - I am excited!!!! I was just ready to leave for work. Yesterday I stopped and picked up some corn mix stuff to spread on ground - we were out. They only had "poultry feed"...

And...

I saw TWO male PURPLE finches eating at the mixture of the poultry feed and sunflower on the ground! Not house finches - the real Purple finches! I have not seen any of those in years! They are so pretty! Wow - made my day!!!!

now, off to work...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6009286

remember when i was talking about the snow removal guy ? ! well i spoke to soon. i asked him to leave . I think he did more damage than good. Huuuuhhhg.
I took pics and will send them to my FIL to look at and check if i have room for complaint . He shaved off a 1 -2 ft area on the flower bed. Good thing i did n't put any flowers on the outer edge of the bed. But now it looks like a circle with a chunk taken out of it.
its an easy fix but the rest will be mud and loss of gravel.
so the cookie crumbles i guess
ttyl
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6009337

ok so this is what the kid did
i know some is normal but i think this is to much ?

Thumbnail by taynors

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6009342

Did someone say cookie???????

LOL!

Jules, funny you should mention about the purple finch. I was asking about them at Wild Birds Unlimited and the lady there said that they have been missing because so many had been lost to some kind of a virus. They are originally from the East coast she said. They are just now making a comeback to our area. Cool that they were at your house. I have the house finch, but haven't seen any of the purple ones. Took forever for just the house finch to come back. But I have been seeing lots of Gold Finch, Chicadees, Nuthatches, Tufted titmice, doves and woodpeckers. Doesn't hurt that I have 6 feeders.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6010131

Sues...Yes...You have alot of room for complaint... that is about 1/4 of your bed out there...How do you have square corners on a round bed that no Idjit could miss??? You need those glo sticks for driveways.. bout 6 of em outta do it...You coulda done a better job with your Kubota bucket...

Roads were great here today except for salt spray earlier in the morning... My windshield was a mess, and the wiper fluid kept freezing unless I had the defroster on blowing hot air in my face... Geeeesh!!
I guess I will have to bite the bullet and put the fluid in that has the anti freeze stuff in it...The Official temp here now is -1*...Grrrrrrr!

I stopped and paid my cable bill and made my washer payment on the way home...and since I dropped my last patient in Fairborn, I went to St Francis and picked up my new bedframe while I had the Wheelie to haul it in...Now to get it set up... Maybe NOT tonight or tomorrow night... May just wait till Saturday...no rush, since I'm not on the floor...LOL

I have my Germantown guy at 6:15 in the morning to the VA...2 days of late starts have made me lazy...LOL Good thing I'm off after tomorrow...

Sooooo, Bons...now that I am going to be wealthy, just how much of my wealth do you need for a subsidy??? LOL

Toni... I have 3 1/2 bedrooms, 2 baths (soon-almost) , yard (ohhhh what a yard) and a huge garden and I gay-ron-teeee ya won't get raped or pillaged around here..!!!!!!!! Is the Hoopdy packed yet????

Back inna bit...gotta feed Him who is a PITA...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6010251

Toni they would be smart to buy now since interest rates are so low ! T&P for you and your home to sell. I know the feeling , ours was on the market for 1.5 yrs. "ack"
I got a basement for a bargain ROFLLLLLL wah wah wah.
Yeah the company 's boss is coming out to look at it , i sent him the pics and they agree. Good thing no plants were on the out edge of the bed. sheesh and my peonies are in the middle oh that would have been bad if he got my peonies.
Dusty glad you made it home . safe
How is everyone else tonight ?
warm i hope
we are all good here
ttyl
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6010647

Hi, everyone. We weren't very busy today and that made it a long afternoon. I drove my coworker home after we ended out shift, so I just got home about an hour ago. My bed is going to see me early tonight - standing in that cold drive-thru window was no picnic and I'm eager to get under the flannel sheets.

Chele, how did the interview go? Did Craig get any kind of a feel for the interviewers or company? Does he have word on when he will know if he gets a second interview or is hired?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6010705

I'm glad the company is agreeing Sue... that was terrible...I'm sure glad you were watching or the doofuss coulda taken out your wellcap!!!

Temps are dropping here...Gonna be mighty ugly about 5:30 when I need to fire up the Wheelie...I went out to fire it up this morning, and my hand almost stuck to the storm door handle coming back in since it was damp and it wasn't as cold as it will be tomorrow...That is a scary thought...Has it ever been this cold in the last 4 winters since I have been back up here??? I don't think so, but not sure...

Todays was Craigs day...Michelle, Is there any news at all???

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6010710

My first time here today. It was a day from the lower nether regions. We worked on the cemetery data base about 3 hours, then I grabbed a yogurt, and the cleaning lady showed up. Had a couple of phone calls during that time, and I had to retreat to the laundry room to hear over the roar of the sweeper. Had about an hour where I got to sit and relax then off to the kitchen to cook a lump of meat that I plucked from the freezer this morning. Turned out it was pork chops so fried them up country style, mashed potatoes, buttered peas, and cooked my DH some hominy. Gosh, how can that stuff be called food. Took a bite, and yep, still hate it!!

So Chele, tell us about what Craig thought of the interview. Sure hope, even if it means him being away from home that he gets the job. I know that you are major stressed. Sounds like you have the know how to be a web site designer. Laughed about your chicken feeding adventure.

Janet, good to see you back. How is life treating you these days? Do you do market in the winter, or are you busy making jams and jellys and such to have a head start for spring. You know this kind of weather would be a good time for you to head over here and we can have some coffee, hot chocolate, or what ever and get all caught up with news. Give me a call. You can't plead being extra busy in the winter time.

Kimberly, I hope the drive through wasn't very busy today. Sounds like that would be a cold job!!

George do you still need a recipe for meat loaf? What I usually do when I cook a meat loaf, give myself some extra time, and when it is cooked, pop it in the fridge until the grease gets hard, and then you can virtually have a fat free good meal. Give my tomato gravy a try, made with homemade tomato juice, and just a touch of sugar to take away the sour of the juice, it is a healthy alternative to a cream based gravy.

Dusty, I got my annual cost of living raise, which was about 2%, but with the cost of my health insurance increase, am about $30 per month lighter in cash!! So that is how the economy works, give a little and the government takes a lot!! I can't take many more raises like that. Congrats on your snagging that headboard.

Hiya Cookie, Darius, Jules, Dovey, Sue sorry about your flower bed, and anybody else I didn't speak to. Where's Ric?

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #6011069

How do you tell the difference between a purple finch & a house finch?

Also, could somebody share their recipes for baked apples, and apple crisp?

Danke,
Pat
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #6011428

http://www.pbase.com/rcm1840/purple_finch_vs_house_finch

Off to unfreeze the car... and freeze me!

Ric
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6011688

OMG, I can't believe how cold it is up there! Saw that it was 1* with a high of 15* at home this morning. Sure glad we're down here...it's a balmy 21*...LOL!

I took Al to work this morning at 5:30 so I could keep the truck. Need to find a laundry mat and make a beer run. We're getting good at finding jobs in dry counties. Since we live in a dry county back home, though, I'm use to the beer runs. Gives me a chance to go exploring today with a friend.

Stay warm!

Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6011706

-2 This morning!! :O

Happy Birthday Dovey!!

Kids are home with a snow/too cold day off...and honestly I am glad to not have to go out in it. :)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6011710

This is the weather that makes snow squeak. Hope you've thawed out at work by now, Ric. Robin, remind me again where it is you are now? CRS moment.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #6011738

It's -12 here. The sun is shining, for now at least!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6011742

-14 here, my brain can even get wrapped around that kind of cold.

And a very happy birthday to you Henygirl! Got any birthday plans?

Dove

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6011747

I hope my roses survive this... it did not get this cold last winter.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6011758

It's the dryness that gets 'em, I think. The snow will insulate them, so that will help.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6011796

♫ ♫ ♫ Happy birthday to you, ♫♫♫ Happy birthday to you♫♫♫Happy birthday dear Dovey and Heather♫♫♫Happy birthday to youuuuuuuuuuuuuu♫♫♫♫♫♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6011800

HaPpY BiRtHdAy Heneygirl!

HaPpY BiRtHdAy Dovey!

Has it ever been that cold up there before? I just can't imagine!

GW, we're in the SW corner of Arkansas. I think it's only 15 or 20 miles to both Oklahoma and Texas state lines.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6011802

They said on the radio this morning that it was the coldest it has been in 5 years.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6011816

Morning all!

Craig's interview went about like normal. He drove an hour to get there (may have been faster but those Cinti people were driving slow in the imaginary snow. LOL). The interview only took about 45 minutes to see three people. He said they were on a pretty rigid schedule. The "big guy" had gotten called away so whoever makes it to the finals will have to go back to interview with him.

On a good note, Craig had gotten a reply from another company. They called him last night, asked some questions, told him to add something back to his resume that had fallen off due to time and collected some more information. Now we are waiting for the person that would be hiring him (and be his boss) to call and set up an interview. This one is in Columbus.

I don't know what suddenly broke free but we are so thankful to be getting calls and emails now! It's something!

Dovey, missing California yet? LOL I get tickled when you get excited about the snow. Much harder to get excited about the temps huh? :)

Kimberely, remember that sweet little baby you met at the RU??? Jazzi turned 7 yesterday. Ack!! That means we've known each other for like 8 years. :)

The school put the kids on a 2 hour delay for today, during the school day yesterday. We woke up at 8am with no new messages or phone calls. Kristenne was in the shower and we were trying to pry Morganne from the blanket burrito where she was sleeping. A few minutes later Craig realized the modem had gone into "standby" so we had no phone or internet all night. Grrrr. So now we are all up and the kids don't have school.

I'm waiting for my neighbor to call. He needs to me to come take some pictures but I don't know if he meant pictures of stoves or puppies. (Hoping it's the stinky breathed puppies but I'll go either way.)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6011827

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOVEY!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!!

I thought you two were being silly and we'd already missed them. LOL I see you both on the birthday list!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6011832

dovey, just think of Cottage_Rose and the bitter cold her roses endure. You still have snow cover don't you? They should be fine, at least root wise with a blanket of snow insulating them. I've got a climber (Leontine Gervais) that I'm concerned about its canes making it. The plan is to get it on an arbor this spring, right now its like an octopus sprawled all over the front garden. I'm hoping the canes laying on the ground will have a better chance.

2 birthdays today! We really need cake! Dove and Heather, hope you both have a wonderful day!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6011929

Thanks for all the birthday wishes :-)

We still have lots of snow... so that's good for the roses eh? Cool.
I did mound them with soil but I never got around to the mulch.

I do miss California, but not so much because of the cold, I miss that whole west coast mentality.
They are a strange group and I value strangeness in individuals *LOL*

I admit that I have an abnormally deep fear of "Black Ice" (you have to say "Black Ice" with a creepy ominous voice) they always warn you to be careful of "Black Ice", they say you can't see it, that "Black Ice" loiters along bridges like some kind of serial killer waiting to get you and when it does you don't know what hit you... one minute your driving along and the next you are sailing off the bridge and plunging into the freezing river below.
Snow is fun - Ice is scary

Dove
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6012219

Dovey, I've been told by several people over the years that I'd love California for that very reason. Was recently asked if I was from there- I guess that means I have that individual strangeness, LOL. Black ice is a scary thing, most of us know of many accidents that have resulted. I've felt that sudden loss of control when the car fishtails, scares the crap out of me! The snow is a perfect insulator for your roses, its when we get these temps and drying winds without snow that's a problem. No snow to speak of here now.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6012261

Thanks yall...Dovey and I could just throw a party in here with a bartender and food buffet! With HEAT and entertainment!! :)

I am really a home girl during this cold stuff. If you dont have to drive I am not sure why you would...although I think we may go out tonight.

There are some good movies out and dinner is always nice without kiddos!! :)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6012352

I'll tend bar if you get everyone else to supply the food. :)

Dinner without kids?? How does that work??

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6012464

Happy Birthday, Dove!

Happy Birthday Heny!

Thumbnail by darius

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6012495

Happy birthday Heny & Dovey! Sorry I didn't say it earlier.

Dovey, you kill me. I love your writing!

[quote]admit that I have an abnormally deep fear of "Black Ice" (you have to say "Black Ice" with a creepy ominous voice) they always warn you to be careful of "Black Ice", they say you can't see it, that "Black Ice" loiters along bridges like some kind of serial killer waiting to get you and when it does you don't know what hit you... one minute your driving along and the next you are sailing off the bridge and plunging into the freezing river below.
Snow is fun - Ice is scary [/quote]

Do you blog anywhere? I'd subscribe.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6012584

Happy birthday Dovey and Heny!

Sorry Heny I have not been in touch about perennials with you... we need to do phone calls - much easier for me than typing. To bad I am so far away - I have a hillside full of perennials that need removing because I am unable to care for them anymore. You could just come dig them up.

Dusty - I wonder what Grandfather is trying to tell me. Yesterday, I saw a coyote for the first time in years running through my front field. Then, the purple finches. I have only seen perhaps 25 or 30 purple finches in my entire lifetime. Then, last night, about 500 feet from my property line, when I was driving home at about 1:30 a.m. - a huge owl swoops down right in front of my windshield. Talk about startled! I just get the feeling I am being told something by seeing all these unusual animals so close together. My Dad had a large % of native Ohio Indian - so I am a believer in animal wisdom and Indian culture. I miss my Dad so much. My brother was closer to my Mom, but I was my Dad's daughter through and through. I think like him.

It is very cold, but so beautiful. Huge clumps of snow on the trees. I don't want to try to get it off - everything is to brittle. I want to take photos, but don't want to take my camera out - heck I don't want to take me out!

Ric - that link made it sound like there was not to much difference in Purple and House finches except the bill. I think there is a lot of difference once you have seen both. The purple ones have a definite raspberry color, and it's all the way down the back. The females are more difficult to tell. I think most people think that house finches are "purple" finches that don't really look them up. If they are not "into" birds. I love to watch and ID birds. Now, I have been at it long enough, that here at home, we don't see a "new" bird very often. I am trying to learn them by their songs now. One of my favorites for song is the Eastern Wood PeeWee. That and the Roufus Sided TowHee. Probably mispelled those. And, of course the Chick-a-dee-dee-dee. LOL I think my favorites to look at are the female Towhee with her soft chocolate colors, and the male rose breasted grossbeaks... and the nuthatch ... and the... and the LOL

Well, going to load up audio podcasts to my phone to listen to tonight, go rest my arm for a bit, and be off to work.

STAY WARM!

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6012628

Happy Birthday Ladies!

The Delegation from Cleveland (Toni and Oprah)
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 16, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6012810

Just a little cool here this morning.

Happy birthday to the ladies!

Bonnie, I have been making some jams and a few batches of salsa. Been trying to get my website and price lists up to date with new plant info added. MIL was in the hospital all of November and half of December. She's home now but we've moved oldest daughter in with her so somebody's there with her at night. She finally informed everybody that she could stay by herself some during the day and kicked second oldest out the door yesterday for a while to move the bulls to another pasture. She promised to not do anything stupid and keep the phone and radio in her walker basket and handy if she needed somebody quick. I've been working a little OT while they allow it. Who knows if they plan to follow through with the furloughs or not. Nephew has started back doing work on the house. Everything has now been drywalled and they did most of the painting over Christmas. The electrician has been there on the weekends and is gradually getting things hooked up. They need to measure and get the ceremic tile laid in the kitchen and baths. I hope he'll start back as soon as the weather warms just a tad. We've been running kerosene heaters over there and it was 38 in there this morning even with the heaters. My guess is he'd like it a bit warmer for the grout and sealer to dry. We definately need to get together before the winter gets away from me. I'm about to start buying veggie seed and lobby for when I can get ground plowed. LOL!

I've got to start doing my income taxes sometime soon. That and fill out the FASFA forms for third childs college financial aid. YUCK!

Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6012821

Daylily-Ohio...that would be cool! I have no idea how far you are but if I can get there and back by 5pm it want take much planning on my part. Plus I might could actually say I have a friend up here then!! :)

We finally have a built in babysitter...with the older ones being in high school we can leave them all here for the evening out!! Plus being my birthday they are very accommodating 'for my present' by cleaning and behaving!! Too bad it isnt several a days a month but then I would be 100 quick!! :O

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6013027

I do blog... some of what I say here, is there, and a lot not, because you can't use r-rated words here and sometimes I use r-rated words. (sorry don't mean to offend anyone, but colorful speech is fun - at least to me)
This is my secret blog (don't ask)
http://dovesoup.blogspot.com/

Darius - love the photo *S*

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6013173

Dove...I LOVED it! What a great sense of humor you have! Love the one about living with your elderly mother! Ha!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6013431

dove that is soooo cooool . Love it ! yes i like a few @#$% words in my vocabulary too. LOLL *giggle* i like the name too dovesoup that is neat .
ok -20 here in Urbana and its a beautiful sunny day !!!! i have been inside for 4 days straight !!! yes can you tell i m stark raving bored and need outside time !!!! ( wack wack and drooling tongue hanging out iwth a wild crazy expression on face )
and monday is a holiday !!!!! what sick demented ,deranged person thought of all of these holidays !!! ??? to torture us moms !
Bill did come by an look at the mess the kid did to our driveway and he agrees , he will make it right in the spring. No worries. I just feel bad cuz they gave us good bid on some of the work for the house, but went with my builder instead cuz he said he could do the work for cheaper so i listened. duh . Oh well live and learn
Hi to everyone
stay warm
ttyl
sue
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6013489

Happy Birthday Dovey and Heather!!

(Had to come out of lurkdom for that one)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6013563

Yay! You DO blog! My world is saved. You're now in my DG Friends label at Google Reader.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6013583

Dovey, I love your blog! You're a wealth of wit! :-)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6013840

Happy Birthday to Dovey and Heather, I have been away from home, or I would have sent the wishes earlier.

Had a Dr appointment then a trip to Louisville to get DH's new glasses stopped by Walmart and the grocery, so didn't get home until about 3:00. It was 1 this morning, and warmed up to 18 this afternoon. Sure not my kind of weather.

George, I sure hope the fairy rose makes it though this cold spell. It wasnt looking too good this fall, but it is mulched, and I am keeping my fingers crossed. Guess those are one of the surprises we will uncover this spring.

Need to head to the kitchen and see what I can find to feed us, probably will use some leftovers, with an entree added. Back later.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6013883

forgot to say
happy birthday to the both of you
well tried to start the truck and its a not going anywhere. I can't even go get the mail . Been 3 days !
getting low on supplies , hope i can get out tomrrow
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6013895

Glad you guys enjoyed it... I'll tell ya taking, care of my mother is harder than raising my 3 kids.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6014146

Happy Birthday to the the birthday girls!
Hope the "girl" is not offensive--- I spent this earlier part of my life trying to escape the label, thinking it meant only childishness. Now when My sisters and I (all over 50 now) arrive at a family reunion, and someone says"Here are the girls!" it feels quite nice, not patronizing, LOL.

Ric, thanks for that link to the finches. The color difference did seem more striking than the beak, but it helped me to identify what I've got showing up right now at my feeder (house variety).

Any thoughts on the apple crisp or baked apples? The grocery apples have been pretty gross lately, & we've eaten all the Melrose we got from the Lebanon orchard in the fall, but I'm still hungry for apples! I'm staving it off with hot spiced cider (I gallon cider, 6 whole allspice, 4 small cinnamon sticks, 1 tsp whole cloves. Heat to boiling, cool & enjoy. You can add lemon or orange slices to pretty it up. You can put it in the fridge & heat it up by the mugfull in the microwave.)

Just got a couple new seed catalogs-- Seeds of Change (organic) and Wildseed Farm.

Pat

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6014622

My truck wont start Uhg . :P
hope it does tomorrow
good night
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6014718

Happy Birthday, Dovey!

Happy Birthday Heny!

On the finches Ava says the females are VERY distinctive.
The Purple Finch females have light colored eyebrows.
The House Finch a light colored eye streak.

This super cold weather is bringing down a few odd birds for this area.
I saw three snow geese today.
Also a Snowy Owl came flying thru. I haven't seen one of these since the 80's.
Course our Bonaparte Gulls made their daily appearance.
ALWAYS when I don't have the camera out... lol!

Ric
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6014918

Ric...when do you look for the owls? Will they come to a feeder or just look in the trees.

I had to replace seed after only about three days...but have photographed five different birds now...it is very exciting.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6014919

Another lurker here popping in to wish Heny and Dovey a Happy Birthday!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6014984

Happy Birthday to the both of you !!!!

Heny... Owls are meat eating predators... they do not eat seed from feeders.. they wait and capture other birds or ground vermin like voles and rats etc... just like the Hawks and Falcons do...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6015017

Heny winter is when you look for owls.
You can actually spot them in the bare trees.
But the Snowy I saw hunting this morning.
I get to work about 6:45 and it's still dark.
Behind our shop is the truck lot and a stand of woods.
As the sun comes up we see owls a lot.
This is the first Snowy I've seen in a hunting flight.
It was going after a rabbit crossing the lot... it missed.

This is a good time of year to see a lot of raptors.
They like to hang at the bird feeders.
Some picking off birds... others the mice and squirrels.

Ric
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6015075

Okay the Owls can eat rats and squirrels AND DEER even, but they better NOT eat those little birdies while I am watching!! :O

Now I dont want to see them...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #6015093

Hey, Renee, good to see you lurking and posting again. How is the weather your way?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6015134

Today was NOT a good day...Tuesday, my Hillsboro guy cancelled so I went and got my lady from dialysis here by the house...Yesterday, I picked her up from St. E's and took her home from her Drs appt...She was fine and cracking jokes about the weather, and I quote***You pushin my big butt around as dinky as you are***...I overheard her talking to a lady in the waiting area up on the 10th floor while she was getting her coat on, about her daughter Brandy (age 23) just having buried her husband after a car wreck, and how so many people helped her out and chipped in so she could have a funeral for him, and that she was doing good and getting ready to go back to work...
My lady, Caro... said she was not going to let her adopted son go to school today if the temps were as predicted..I need/want to add that Caro is a white lady (age 47) and her adopted son, age 12, is a beautiful young black boy that legally became hers at age 5 after fostering him since he was 2...

I took one of my guys home to Springboro at 9:45, near here by the house, and my phone went off...It was Sheila in a panic, asking me where I was...I told her I was just leaving my guys driveway east on 73 just east of 48...
She asked if I could go to Caros dialysis facility and pick up her wheelchair and personal belongings and bring them to the office, as Caro had been transported to Sycamores ER... ????????????

I asked her what was up, and she said dialysis had called and asked us to come get her belongings, that she had been ambulanced to Sycamores...Okayyyyyyy, sure, I'll go get em...but what about Jerome???

What about Jerome??, she says...I say Jerome is home alone... Caro told me yesterday that she was not going to let him go to school today because she didn't want him waiting for the bus in this cold...Sheila says okay, whizz by there and drop her things off with him...
I am NOT comfortable with that idea since I was already now at the Dialysis facility, and things weren't looking too good...I get her belongings, and load em up, and by the time I got halfway to her apt...
I got the call that she was DOA at the Sycamores...I told Sheila to let me handle it from there, and what I intended to do...I went to the Apt mgr..told them what had happened, and asked for emergency contact info, which was Brandys number that my dispatch did not have...I called her and told her that Caro had been transported, and I needed her to come get Jerome and let me drop off Moms things...This wasn't the first time, so she wasn't suspicious...When she got to the apt. I met her at the outside bldg door and told her...I unloaded the personals into the apt, and stayed with Jerome and Brandy until some very nice lady friends got there to be with her, and I personally told Jerome, as Brandy was incapable and sat with him for awhile wrapped in a big hug while he dealt with it...He knows me well and was okay with me...I hugged and kissed them both when I left, and it was hard leaving that little boy...

Her breathing stopped while she was on the machine, and then her heart...She was gone before the squad got there...I got the direct dirt from the RN in charge...She had a DNR in place, so it didn't matter...

I transported 4 more patients after that episode, and trust me, I am drained...Hard to stay cheerful for the others when your heart hurts...

My Creator put me on this place on earth called Turtle Island to heal...
Now I am not healing broken bodies, but broken hearts...Brandy will call me with service arrangements, and I will be there...

Janet...Grandmother cored the apples.. filled them with brown sugar and raisins, and butter, and wrapped them in a square of pie dough pinched at the corners, kerchief style and baked them...I can't help better than that...

This message was edited Jan 16, 2009 11:12 PM
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6015583

Dusty, you definitely have a gift! Anyone that has come into contact with you are very blessed that you are there to take care of them one way or another.

Nothing much going on here...still in the motel, still cold.

Any break in your all's frigid temps in sight?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6015617

(((((Dusty)))))
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6015624

((((Dusty)))))...what a gift you were to a family when they needed it most. The Creator placed you just where you were needed, at the time you were needed.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6015634

Our water pipes are frozen (again) this morning. I can't figure it out, first yesterday morning the hot water was frozen in the bathrooms (except for one sink on an interior wall), but ok in the kitchen. It thawed yesterday and we were able to shower, then in the afternoon the cold froze up in the bathrooms and the hot kept working. This morning both are frozen in the little bathroom, but the toilet and inside wall sink in the other bathroom are working. Then went to make coffee this morning and we've got cold water in the kitchen, but no hot! Its like water roulette around here, LOL.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #6015656

(((((Dusty))))
((((Brandy and Jerome))))

Ric - I knew about the eyebrow- but it is hard for me to see without binoculars. Mine broke a few years back and the way Mom has hers adjusted I can't see out of them. I have looked a few places for a new pair but haven't found a pair I want at the price I want to pay.

Waiting for the TimeWarner guy. Fun!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6015688

Good Morning.

(((Dusty)))

That's the pits about the pipes, Neal. :o(

I've been out to replenish the bird feeders. I'm completely out of Niger seed now, so that will be a must to get this weekend. They are flocking to the feeders. Poor cold babies.

I just put a breakfast casserole in the oven. I used some leftover beer bread for a base, then did eggs, peppers, mushrooms and monteray jack cheese. I also put a few tomatoes from the last of Dusty's stewed tomatoes in. Looks like I was cleaning out the frig...

Weather bug says it's 7* here. I dressed really warm to do the feeders. Must have worked cause I didn't get cold.

Have a great day all.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6015734

Brrrrr, it's 2º and my thermometer says it's dropping! I shouldn't complain... the local weatherman says a few years ago the low on this day was -15º. If it's not too windy today, I should chop some kindling and bring in several day's worth of firewood... and fill my bird feeders. I also need to check the creek to see if I should chop a hole in the ice for water for all the outside critters. Usually the creek doesn't completely freeze over... Ahh, the pleasures of being a country girl!

Neal, just frozen pipes, or do you have any broken pipes? Of course you won't know about split pipes if the water in them is frozen...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6015848

Good morning,it is warmer here today, well by a few degrees, but the good news is it is supposed to warm up to the 20's this afternoon.

Neil sorry about the frozen pipes, they are really the pits, we used to deal with them about every winter.

(((Dusty))) glad you were there.

I am out of bird food also, so when I go out today, that is one purchase I need to make.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6015858

Wow Dusty, I am so so sorry. That poor little boy. Thankfully he has his sister.

I know you'll be there, you always are.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6015892

About feeding the birds, I feel like the rest of you, I make an even more diligent effort when it's so cold. Poor little things.

A friend of a friend has a photography website and some really get bird photos. The friend and his friend live in Chillicothe, anyway it helped me correctly identify some of the birds in my garden.
http://www.joshuaandersonphotography.com/AvianGalleryPageFour.html

Dove

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6015989

Love that site, Dove, thanks.

There is a new bird on the ground by my feeders today. I've never seen it before and was wondering if any of you have any idea what it might be. It is completely black. A little bigger than the finch, but not much. I know this picture sucks, but here it is anyway.

Thumbnail by joycet

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6016004

(((Dusty)))

Neal are you letting the water run a trickle during this cold snap?
Sounds like you need to insulate the pipes or put an electric warmer tape on them.

We've gone from 10° (Wind Chill 8°) to 16° (Wind Chill 3°) ... hmmmmm...

Dovey it's really good to see you here again!

Working on the Hallway today for a bit as we let the temps come up in the FPR.
We have a bunch of trim left to do in the Hall but Robyn has finished the plastering.

Ric
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6016070

I have no idea what I am going to get into today! I was wide awake at 2:30am and flipped channels and landed on some stupid sci-fi movie around 3:30am. Craig woke up part way through and finished the movie. I however, went back to sleep shortly after he remembered Kristenne had to be at the school and on a bus by 8:15.

Her Ripley games are actually today. Thursday was White Oak. We decided not to brave the tundra for either!

I actually woke in the middle of the night because I was burning up. That is what woke Craig too. He checked the thermostat because there was no reason we should have been hot when it was 1 degree outside and we keep the temp set at 66-68. Thermostat said it was set to 67 and that it was 67. Hmmm. Our room usually gets cold but Morganne's is worse. We really need to get her new carpet! But, SOMEONE in this house, likes to sneak the temp up.

How is everyone's heat/electric bill looking? They've changed the format of ours and I didn't care enough to see what each item was. LOL Dec-Jan was $362. I sure wish I could buy one of those stoves from my neighbor! They are beautiful but not cheap.

I got the book case cleaned off yesterday. Carly has finished all the laundry. I'd like to work on the drywall but Maddie is sick and I really don't feel like breathing and making all that dust!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6016181

Thanks for the hugggs y'all...I sure needed them last night...
It was so hard to see that little boys face crack when I had to tell him...He has been his moms right hand man, and they were very close...I am just thankful that I was the one to pick her up from her Dr appt on Thursday, and knew that he was home alone...All her appts were set for when he was in school, so she would be there when he got home...Poor Brandy has alot on her plate now...but she adores Jerome, and they will be okay together...

I woke up early with a stomach bug that I am trying to eradicate so I can get to the grocery, drop off things at the Salvation Army, and get bird seed...I am just the opposite of Cookie...I have plenty of my Niger concoction in the bucket, but am flat out of regular seed...The starlings have found me, and now I have one fighting my Woodpeckers for their suet baskets...and they are cleaning up the ground seeds that my Doves usually get...Grrrrrrr!!!! I know they need food too but they are absolute hogs and want it all...
Thanks for the bird links...They are helpful to me too...I haven't seen my titmice yet today, but the chickadees and goldies are plentiful...as are my woodpeckers...

You all have a great day, and stay warm...It's up to 13* here now!! LOL

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6016229

Oh, Dusty...I'm just reading up on yesterday's posts and saw what happened. How sad, and she was young, too! Do you think she had a PE or something? It's good he and Brandy have each other.

I lay down yesterday at about 5pm for a nap (bad idea!) and the next thing I knew, Howie was coming to bed around midnight after getting home from a game night at church. My head was starting to ache a little then, but I didn't want to get up or I knew I'd be awake all night. Well, I should have at least taken Mucinex and Sudafed and gone back to bed. So, I was up at 3am with a doozie of a headache. I headed out to the recliner and figured out the moist heating pad I got for my shoulder and neck works well for sinuses, too. I have a thermobead microwaveable pad, but I have to reheat often to keep it warm enough to do any good. I got some sleep in the chair, but I was in bed so early yesterday, I'm sure I'm good to go sleep-wise. LOL I just need to get rid of this headache.

I'm not sure what that black bird is. I'd say it could be a male cowbird if it had a brown head.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6016233

Chelle do you have all electric house ? ours with our geothermal was high ? at 234 .00 but maybe we just don't know how to compare ? i know we had propane in the other house and it was 1,700 for the season and that didn't include our electric that was around 70-100 for the cold season and over 250 .00 in the summer /spring season . So i can't really figure out how we are saving ? lolll
those stoves are realy cool i have seen them . Yeah pricey but worth it . If you get one let me know i got your wood for you LOLLL
dovey nice site and great bird pics too
Dusty hope you tummy feels better soon
Neal bummer on the pipes :( that is the pits.
Toni how is O taking this cold weather ? hope she isn't too cold
got to run FIL is here

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6016258

Mine was terrific Michele...I was beside myself with glee...Giddy even...
It is the least I have ever had since we moved back to OH...BOTH bills combined were less than what my gas bill alone had been...

Once my Chimney leak gets fixed and I can fire up the fireplace to take the chill off out here in the evening, I will be a happy camper.. Our thermostat is at 68* because with the coumadin, Jim stays cold all the time...but his den and bedroom stay really warm...The sliding glass door and these two huge bay windows keep it cooler out here...
My new bedroom is alot colder than the old one, and I love it that way...I had the register shut and the window slid open about 4" when I was still in the old one and it still got too hot for me...
I am on the prowl for a set of insulated french doors to replace the slider this summer...I saw a set at Habitat when Cookie and I got my back hall door, and was about a 1/2 inch from nabbing them...I may yet if they are still up there...They can live in the garage till the weather gets warm enough to have a big hole in the wall long enough to frame them in...LOL...All of the metal back patio cover is coming down, and Bro has the siding to finish off the back wall, which will add more insulation...and the light will help heat in the winter too...I am going to replace the cover with a wood lanai angle beamed top, pergola style...I intend to spend alot of time out there this summer...

What kind of stoves does your neighbor sell?? Do you want just a regular wood stove or a fireplace insert type?? I see alot of things on my travels...

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6016290

Kimberley...About 4 months ago now, I went thru nearly the same thing with another lady who was 52 yrs old, on dialysis...with an 18 yr old son still living at home with her...She had already lost a leg to her diabetes.. They took off too much water, her heart fluttered and they rushed her to Good Sam...they kept her 4 days, she went back to dialysis on Monday, and Wed. they did it again, and she had heart failure and died...I have already gone thru this once with Wendell at the VA...I don't know what the devil is going on, but these dialysis centers are beginning to rile me...Paul, down in Mason, always knows when they take too much as he has severe cramps when he leaves there...I don't know if they are weighing them wrong or what...and I ain't gonna say no mo... :-(((
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6016325

PUHLEESEEEE!!!! Will you look at this little acrobat directly in front of my rear wheel???

Thumbnail by DustyDS

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6016476

Time for a new Thread...

Continued to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/943838/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America