Welcome to your new forum

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

By popular request, here's a new forum for ceramicists to "potter" around in!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jumping with joy!!! Terry, Dave and staffs are the best there are!!! Wooohooooo!!! Thank you.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for listening! This will be a great new forum.

Clarkson, KY

Shoulda said it here first, but ----can't begin to tell you how much this is appreciated!! The listening and the patience!!

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Well, now....how very wonderful.
Thank you.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'd better get busy, so I'll have something to post and share on this forum that I so much wanted. lol.

Clarkson, KY

I'm sitting here worrying about all those cool threads we have going on OTHER forums.....giggle....ridiculous! How do we get 'em here, I wonder...link and continue? Magical mystical DG transfer spell? Links post? So much talking to do, so little finger...

Just link them over here, that would be easier.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Grownut, what you could do is get together links to all of the threads you want included and someone from admin can make a "sticky" to put that post at the top of the forum. That is what I did on the self contained box gardens forum.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2009 4:26 PM

Clarkson, KY

I can, can I?? ;-) I've been up to so much already...

Thing is there are plenty of discussions in progress now as opposed to something to reference from here on out...Don't really want to lose the thread(sts) of the discussion. And I tend to get lost or go awol linking...

If there are threads that really should be here, post links to them here and I can move them over and "seed" this forum with the existing threads.

Clarkson, KY

Not only the patience of a Saint, but...will do, Terry.

OK, started one basic thread...just to see if there might be some interest in some basic techniques.

Clarkson, KY

Well, I'm ceding the computer to DD for a while! Happy Trails All!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Terry, this really IS thrilling, but would there be any possiblity of changing the name of the new forum to "Kiln Fired Arts (clay, glass, etc.)"?

We all pretty much agreed among ourselves after the first week of discussing the new forum that we want to share knowledge and projects among other kiln-users.

We don't want to lose the glass-fusing and copper-enameling artists who have much in common with potters, and especially since many of them have supported starting this new forum.

My fear (based on looking at what words are most commonly used) is that you'll lose a lot of basic pottery, clay folks if the forum is called "kiln-fired arts"

That's a pretty esoteric term, and most people generally aren't using it when they search around the internet for clay, ceramic and pottery forums. We can add something in the intro that explains the forum welcomes all those who work in these various media, as well as those who are kiln-fired arts enthusiasts.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Yepee! This calls for champagne!

Thanks, Dave, Terry, Admin!

Thank you all potters united! Now I can watch you grow, and you can teach me! I love pottery, but have no clue on how to work the clay! Help! See you on the "clay threads"!

Clarkson, KY

Oooooo. E-bubbly...

{{{I DID notice that, when copying the address to link, the term "all fired up" appears as part...getting my chuckles from that one...and hoping it wasn't too traumatic for admin...}}}

This message was edited Jan 11, 2009 6:13 PM

I understand the concern---we're SO grateful you set this up, and we'll make it work! :-)

I don't really understand how a "sticky" functions. Do you think there be value to adding a "sticky" to Artisans, for instance, that tells people about specific forums (Mosaics and Stained Glass, Pottery & Ceramics, Basketweaving, for instance)?

Clarkson, KY

It mostly saves a good thread from disappearing. If the info is important enough and there's no better way to put the info out there, then a sticky will do --that's why those 2 stickies are up top the DG forum -keeps 'em from getting lost.

Payson, AZ(Zone 7a)

THANKS! THANKS, to Admin. This is soooo great and now I can pick everyone's brain!
Are we a happy bunch or what!!!
JoAnne

Port Angeles, WA(Zone 8b)

I sipping a glass of wine in celebration, even if I'm a glass fuser and not a potter. Doesn't matter the name, just that we now have a home! A great big THANKS to admin for acknowledging us insecure artistic types! CHEERS!

Looking for fusers to help me along my way...

Sheri

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

More Whoops of JOY! Thank you Terry, and everyone else who is making this forum happen!
WIB,
SW

I can't tell you what a little thrill it gives me to see "Click here to return to the Pottery, Clay and Ceramics forum!" OK, I'm a cheap date, too....LOL!

Hey Grow...you mentioned on the other thread "In Japan I..."

When were you in Japan? For how long and what did you do while there? (unless of course it's none of my bidness, then tell me so. Just curious about other places).

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Oh we should start one or multiple threads on Japan (I visited there too in the past)!

Thanks admin, your are Fantastic! (or fantastagreat as some of my pottery students might say) You won't regret this. We are a different sort, we ceramicists. I am inspired already.

Clarkson, KY

I studied Japanese in college (at GGKs Eugene Or) and then went to Japan and lived/studied/worked there just under 7 years. There I did my mudslinging. I'm actually a trained interpreter who enjoyed other things better.

Any kind of pottery or glass discussion I am up for^_^

I don't know anything about pottery but would certainly be willing to learn. I'd like to find some fusers more experienced than I (won't take much) who can help me with some technical problems. But art, any art, is good for discussion. Inspiration, medium, technique...whatever.

Oklahoma City, OK

This will be great! I am a "hot glass" artist & can't wait to see what other people are doing!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

By "hot glass" do you mean fusing or lampwork beads or other things? or all? I only fuse. I'm not coordinated enought to work with molten honey. One thing with one hand and another thing with the other hand. Lampwork beads are beautiful though. And I have about 6 to show for my 1 class to prove I tried :-D

outtamygourd, have you ever fused leaves between 2 pieces of glass? Clear on top of course.

3gardeners, please please please start a new thread and tell how that is done! I would LOVE to do something with my pretty leaves (of course they're all gone now).

On Artisans there was a thread on lampwork beads that I was stalking---such pretty work! I'd like to know more about it.

Me too, 3gardeners.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

I'm headed off to pick up my kids from school right now. I'll try to get back on this evening and up load some shots. I was just saying on another thread that I've found glass can be very temparamental, at least with me. Probably because I'm just at what you would call an apprentice level. I've tried a lot, learned alot, but haven't really mastered a lot. I do love it though. :-)

Clarkson, KY

One of the wonderful things about having this forum -we can get exposure to a wider variety of media that are available if you do KFA! (And yes, I want to continue using that term...says a whole lot, simply!)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WHOO HOO! Thanks so much Terry ^_^ Now I can learn more about how not to blow things up in a kiln. (a high learning curve here sigh)

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

dahlianut you should start a thread on that very question.

3gardeners ~ No, I have not yet tried to fuse any inclusions except copper sheet & foil. And I only made my first inclusion piece a few weeks ago. I've only been fusing for a year or so and consider myself a beginning beginner (sub-apprentice!). My biggest issue right now is unwanted bubbles. Some of them I can handle, but the first piece in which I used inclusions had such a bubble I had to patch it and refire! I just got my fusers glue and have a piece ready to assemble so will be getting it in the kiln this weekend. How would you fuse the leaf without it turning to black dust?

This is the first piece. Notice the many, MANY bubbles? I spoke with the young lady who got me started in this and showed her this piece. She mentioned that her teacher bar-be-qued the copper prior to fusing...literally threw it on the bar-be-que for about 20 minutes prior to firing. I guess I'll try baking my next one since it's been far too rainy here to light the que. Also, the piece cracked while annealing during the first firing which, during the second, caused it to draw in at the edge on 3 sides. I would have liked this anomaly had there been this same glitch on the 4th side...*sigh*

This message was edited Jan 13, 2009 6:02 AM

Thumbnail by outtamygourd
Oklahoma City, OK

3gardeners, I just do fusing. I'm with you on not being coordinated enought to work with hot glass outside of a kiln!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images