Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Snowberry ~ The Name Says It Best: Did I really find wintergreen?

Communities > Forums > Article: Snowberry ~ The Name Says It Best
bookmark
Forum: Article: Snowberry ~ The Name Says It BestReplies: 3, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scottsmom
Point Phillips , PA
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #5995561

Did a search on Dave's for wintergreen and up popped this article.
I bought a 4" pot at a local supermarket. The tag said "Wintergreen,
do not allow to dry out, product of Canada". The last picture in the article
has leaves that look like mine, but my berries 'were' bright red! Flowers white.
have re potted it and it's trying to die w/leaves falling off. Have re-potted it as it was the
most root bound plant I've ever seen I couldn't even ID the type of soil,
I assumed it was a peat type.. Hope it makes it to spring.
Because it was grown in Canada, I assumed I would be able to plant it
permanently in a shady spot in my yard this year. (N E Penna.)
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6007802

It probably IS wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens). The berries are the source of wintergreen flavoring. As long as you have it in the house I would try to keep it cool (away from any heat vents) and moist (try misting it or placing it on a tray with pebbles and water). Wintergreen is hardy to zone 3, so you should be fine planting it ouside in the spring. And you are right, it will like a shady spot. Here's a link to PlantFiles for more information and pictures..just click.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1101/

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

September 18, 2009
11:31 AM

Post #7076889

About the wintergreen. Glad to see this mentioned. Would it grow in the shade of my 20 year old white pine? The bottom branches were not pruned. I have black loam "river bottom" soil. The area around the pinetree is covered with a plant that I've now identified as "Indian Strawberry, Mock Strawberry or Duchesnea indicawild".
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7161134

Under your white pine might be an ideal place. They need shade, which you have from your tree, rich soil, which is sounds like you have covered. It won't grow in heavy clay and the soil should be on the acid side. You should test your soil and add some horticultural sulfur if needed some months before you plant the wintergreen, then test again. Good luck...jan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Snowberry ~ The Name Says It Best Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful article! pixie62560 14 Oct 12, 2009 3:20 PM
You answered a question I had! dancingbear27 3 Jan 8, 2008 10:44 PM
Snowberry meryl1cat 1 Jan 8, 2008 5:58 PM
Snowberry gamekeeper 1 Jan 9, 2008 10:29 PM
fascinating and beautiful plant! DonnieBrook 4 Jan 11, 2008 9:21 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America