-
AuthorContent
irish1972
Emmaus, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #5997474

Hi everyone. After reading these informative posts and looking at ken rockwell's great website (as many of you advised), I will be purchasing a Nikon D40 as soon as I find the best buy online.

However, I have one reservation before I take the plunge. I'm used to a sony point and shoot type digital camera. It has an eyepiece, but I usually just hold the lcd display in front of me and shoot the picture based on what it looks on the lcd display. I've gotten pretty used to taking photos this way. I'm sure anyone with a dslr would be able to answer my question:

Can I use the lcd on the nikon d-40 to set up my photos? Or is it for navigating the menu only? Some of what I've read has made me wonder if this is so. If the lcd isn't for photo preview I'll be pretty disappointed and may have to look into something else. I am open to suggestions. I wear glasses and my husband has pretty poor eye sight (even though he wears contacts). Looking at a lcd display instead of through a tiny eye piece is much more convenient.

Help! Thanks a lot--Stephanie in PA
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #5997614

I could be wrong but on the D40 I think you have to shoot pictures through the eyepiece only. You will see the playback on the monitor and use it for menu options but not use it for taking a picture. Newer DSLR cameras are now incorporating "Live View" where you can use the monitor to frame the shot.
irish1972
Emmaus, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #5997658

ugh.

I'm wondering if my glasses will get in the way?

Any suggestions? Other than taking them off? :) Maybe I should just go to a camera shop and try it out! :) Thanks for your help!

This message was edited Jan 12, 2009 5:13 PM
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #5997828

They usually have an adjustment for the eyepiece to work without glasses (at least myopia, not sure about astigmatism). My Canons have this feature so I'm sure most cameras do. You can also shoot with glasses on but they usually get in my way.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America