Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Hops are not just for beer. They make great ornamentals in the Home Garden!: Sunbeam Golden hops

Communities > Forums > Article: Hops are not just for beer. They make great ornamentals in the Home Garden!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hops are not just for beer. They make great ornamentals in the Home Garden!Replies: 3, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 13, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6000634

Thanks Darius. Got cabin fever with the snow coming down the other night and ended up buying 7 hop rhizomes. Then thought that may be way too much. But your article allievated that concern. Lots of uses for them.

Have you or anyone else grown Sunbeam Golden hops? Yellow with red stems. Grown mainly as an ornamental in the UK but the cultivar is related to Saaz and is fine for the normal hop uses. Grows in shade (full sun hurts the plant). Bought 3 of those, 2 Nugget, 1 Fugger and 1 Sterling.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6000760

No, I have not seen them, but they sound spectacular! Let me know how they all do...
Thanks!
LynnPritchard
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2010
2:42 AM

Post #7635299

Darius-
Good morning! A question: I have two large terra cotta pots on my front porch (red quarry tile flooring), facing east, in Richmond VA. I have a trellis attached to the front of my brick house above each pot. I have been seeking an appropriate vine to give interest to the front of the house and came upon Humulus lupulus 'Nugget' in an article in, I think, Fine Gardening. The spot gets hot in the summer. My questions: do you see any reason why this might not be a good idea? I've never grown or known about hops before. Also, is this vine invasive? Should I be concerned that the seeds will cause uninvited vines to begin growing in the surrounding borders? Many thanks for your help with this, and happy gardening in the mountains of VA!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7636651

Lynn, I won't know for several weeks yet if any hops seeds from my vine scattered and grew, but I kinda doubt it. The 2+ years I've had mine, they have spread several runners that rooted, but very easily controlled (and lots of folks wanted the rooted runners).

My experience with anything in pots is that they require more watering... but other than that, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do well in a large pot, and add an interesting accent to the front of the house.

Happy Gardening!
~darius

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hops are not just for beer. They make great ornamentals in the Home Garden! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
interesting Dutchlady1 4 Mar 13, 2008 1:45 AM
Enjoyed your article... Bettypauze 0 Mar 12, 2008 2:56 PM
Hops phicks 7 Jul 12, 2008 1:54 PM
Great article! Diandra 1 Mar 18, 2008 4:35 PM
A Yahoo Group for Growing Hops! Melissande 1 Jul 16, 2008 3:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America