Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: Jubaea chilensis, the Chilean Wine Palm- World's Largest Palm Tree: The seeds are tasty

Communities > Forums > Article: Jubaea chilensis, the Chilean Wine Palm- World's Largest Palm Tree
bookmark
Forum: Article: Jubaea chilensis, the Chilean Wine Palm- World's Largest Palm TreeReplies: 1, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Colinia_Mckimii
Harmony Grove, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6001557

I have eaten both seeds that I collected in CA and some imported from Chile. Both are equally tasty, being very similar to coconut but slightly more nutty and drier. I actually got some at Vons that had been already peeled but remained whole somehow. They are time consuming to crack yourself. I tried planting some seeds I collected but they never germinated. Nutrition facts on the seeds: 11 kCal each, 82% of the energy from fat (90% saturated). Not the most healthy food, but they sure are tasty!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #6003493

Jubaea seeds in general are very slow germinators. I collected about 200 a few years ago and just this year got 3 of those to germinate (I tossed out a bunch figuring they were all bad, and now I am not so sure).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Jubaea chilensis, the Chilean Wine Palm- World's Largest Palm Tree Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hmmmm, I was thinking of getting one CoreHHI 1 Jan 11, 2009 5:30 AM
nice looking tree geraldine87 0 Jan 12, 2009 1:48 PM
Jubaea chiliensis and rodents S_Cumberland 0 Jan 13, 2009 3:13 AM
Jubaea Palm swamptreenelly 0 Feb 11, 2009 3:39 AM
Chilean Wine Palm, Jubaea for sale hannybee 0 Jun 5, 2009 4:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America