Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Jubaea chilensis, the Chilean Wine Palm- World's Largest Palm Tree: The seeds are tasty

Communities > Forums > Article: Jubaea chilensis, the Chilean Wine Palm- World's Largest Palm Tree
bookmark
Forum: Article: Jubaea chilensis, the Chilean Wine Palm- World's Largest Palm TreeReplies: 1, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Colinia_Mckimii
Harmony Grove, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6001557

I have eaten both seeds that I collected in CA and some imported from Chile. Both are equally tasty, being very similar to coconut but slightly more nutty and drier. I actually got some at Vons that had been already peeled but remained whole somehow. They are time consuming to crack yourself. I tried planting some seeds I collected but they never germinated. Nutrition facts on the seeds: 11 kCal each, 82% of the energy from fat (90% saturated). Not the most healthy food, but they sure are tasty!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #6003493

Jubaea seeds in general are very slow germinators. I collected about 200 a few years ago and just this year got 3 of those to germinate (I tossed out a bunch figuring they were all bad, and now I am not so sure).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Jubaea chilensis, the Chilean Wine Palm- World's Largest Palm Tree Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hmmmm, I was thinking of getting one CoreHHI 1 Jan 11, 2009 5:30 AM
nice looking tree geraldine87 0 Jan 12, 2009 1:48 PM
Jubaea chiliensis and rodents S_Cumberland 0 Jan 13, 2009 3:13 AM
Jubaea Palm swamptreenelly 0 Feb 11, 2009 3:39 AM
Chilean Wine Palm, Jubaea for sale hannybee 0 Jun 5, 2009 4:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America