-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6002029

Some kids set my backyard on fire New Years Eve and it ended up melting my big resin table along with the 6 chairs that went with it. I used this table as a potting bench and I'm going to miss it terribly in about a month.

I was considering using a hollow core door on saw horses to replace it. I'd like some suggestions on the best way to seal it so it won't warp or disintegrate from rain. I don't think that water seal stuff you put on decks would be enough, or would it?

X
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6002869

I'd look into something like spar/marine varnish--it's meant to hold up to water and I've had good luck with it on things that I've had outdoors.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6003023

Thanks ecrane, I never even considered that!

X
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6003227

Regardless of what you coat it with, a hollow core door is going to warp and disintegrate outdoors. They're meant to be used on interiors. They're not even nailed together...they're just a flimsy pine frame covered with a veneer and it's all glued together. Any sizeable pot you place on top of it would probably just fall through as the only interior "supports' on said doors is corrugated cardboard.

For the same price, you could get a piece of plywood cut ( the type used for exterior purposes that's only "good on one side" ) to the size you want, then coat it with Thompsons water seal or some other type of sealer.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #6004034

Hmm .. I knew that they had the corrugated cardboard inside .. I've cut one in half before, but thought sealing it would keep it from degrading. I use them indoors for my office and they have a good amount of weight on them and nothing has fallen through or even bent or warped in the last few years. They make exceptional, inexpensive work tables as far as I'm concerned.

X
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 14, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6005345

I, too, use a hollow core door for a computer desk inside, but outside would expect the glue to give up within a year or two - especially with our humidity. And painting it with an exterior (or marine would be better) paint / varnish / urathane would add to the cost and maintenance, but would be the best bet for keeping it together.

Treated plywood would be my choice - let it dry for a few weeks - then paint with your choice of exterior finishes. Should last for many years.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6005955

I've thought about 3/4 inch plywood, but I'd have to attach some 2 x 4's underneath to keep it from sagging in the middle which would add to the weight and cost. At least with the door, sealed with marine varnish as ecrane suggested or perhaps polyurethane, it should last a year, maybe more. It won't be in blazing hot sun, but in the shade. And the added attraction is that it's something I can lift and haul around easily. Hopefully I'll find an actual table replacement on Craigs List before the door caves in.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

X
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 14, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #6006068

I got my door from Home Depot - asked if they had any damaged doors - showed me several @ 1/2 price. Since I wanted it for a desk, I needed one side intact.

Craigslist may have a free door or other material you can use.
blpender
Dowagiac, MI

April 5, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6368536

You could toss a tarp over it to protect it. When your done potting for the day, just take the tarp off and shake it out.
blpender
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6368579

I ended up using a plain piece of plywood. It's working out pretty good.

X

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 19 Dec 7, 2014 11:16 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America