Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew: I love soup from the garden!

Communities > Forums > Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew
bookmark
Forum: Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter StewReplies: 5, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6008571

Thanks for your ideas for soup. It is my favorite food in the winter. Yesterday I came in from being out of town and found some stew meat and oxtail bones in the freezer. Boiled that for 3 hours in beef broth and then added onions, head of cabbage, fresh okra, potatoes, barley and peas. Put the soup into 12 containers in the deep freeze and I have 12 meals ahead of me. I love to leave the tomatoes out. (although sometimes a squeeze of lemon does the same thing for flavoring)

I don't think anyone can 'mess up' a good soup.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6008599

Yum! Oxtail makes a wonderful soup stock... Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to pick some up next time we're at the butcher's.

Try browning meat and bones for stock under the broiler or in the bottom of the pot before adding water for additional flavor and rich color.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6008613

I always brown the stew meat and oxtails very well in a little olive oil before I add any water. You are right on the money on that one!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6008789

It's lovely to have all those good meals in the fridge... perfect for a blustery day!

We've got some cold weather here, so you know what we're having for dinner! :-)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6008991

I've got a pork loin and sweet potatoes roasting in the crock pot today, but part of it will turn into soup later this week.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6009099

Yum! Pork makes a great goulash with lots of paprika and red peppers... I have no idea if my pork stew concoction resembles genuine Hungarian goulash at all, but I like it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I share your soup disability sallyg 6 Jan 20, 2009 11:48 AM
Left over soup CountryGardens 2 Jan 15, 2009 7:06 PM
Soup phicks 1 Jan 15, 2009 7:06 PM
I'm headed for the kitchen right now Pamgarden 4 Jan 16, 2009 1:51 AM
What size pot or Crock Pot ??? Gitagal 3 Jan 16, 2009 1:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America