Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew: What size pot or Crock Pot ???

Communities > Forums > Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew
bookmark
Forum: Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter StewReplies: 3, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #6009855

I am going to make your beef stew tomorrow. Today--I am chopping and chunking--trying NOT to dice...

For the recipe you posted--how big a pot or Crock Pot do you use?
You also did not mention (by weight) how much meat you use in this. Please give me a ballpark idea...

It might also be helpful, to me, if you gave a ballpark of which veggies go in what order in the Crock Pot.
Is it the longer-cooking ones that go on the bottom--or do they go on top of the meat????

I have never made Stew of any kind--even though I am the Queen of soups. I also almost have never used the crock pot--maybe twice???--so this is "virgin territory"...

Any suggestions are welcome by tonight...If you wait until tomorrow--it will be too late and the stew will have fallen in the "Que serra--serra" category.

Thanks, Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 15, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6010003

I often make this stew in an 8 quart heavy pot on top of the stove. I've used a crock pot, but I usually throw everything in together and count on the different-sized pieces of harder and less firm veggies to make cooking times come out evenly. I'm sure you could check any soup/stew crockpot recipe for suggestions on the best order to layer ingredients...

Stew recipes are inherently flexible. With the other amounts I gave above, I think I started out with about two and a half pounds of beef roast. Use the rough proportions I gave in the article as a starting point -- "one part beef (or other meat), one part potatoes, one part "other" root vegetables, and as many onions as I'm in the mood for."

I'm sure your stew will be delicious! I know you like messing with recipes, so you'll be able to taste and adjust until it's just right.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6010352

Thanks, Jill...

I have now been dicing and slicing veggies all evening. Seems I have a "huge" amount...
Some of this might be misinterpretation of sizes given--like, what size is a medium Turnip?

So far--I diced up 4 turnips--all about the size of a baseball...4 normal-sized (?) onions--over a half a bag of those baby carrots--2 fairly fat Parsnips--and one fat Rutabaga (mmm...maybe the size of a large Grapefruit).
Still have the red potatoes to go. Bought a 5lb. bag today at my fave. Farmers store for $3. Will use about 4-5 of them.. Still to dice tonight...
AND--The meat. Got a Bottom Round roast...more meat there than I need--so I have to prorate...That is why I asked you how much...Nothing is cheap any more! Not even with sales... This has already cost me an arm and a leg anyway--that is why I want it to turn out good.

I KNOW how flexible Soups and Stews are! I seldom follow a recipe anyway--just use it as a guideline...I like the idea of Lima Beans...I LOVE Lima Beans!!! I also like the idea of instant, mashed potatoes for thickening the whole lot. Yum! I will just see what else my brain says might go with this. some Powder and some Dill...
I will also check back in some of the Stew recipes I have already copied out from the DG Recipe Forum. MAN! Do I have a collection!!!!!!

OK! Off to go watch my favorite TV Show--"Ugly Betty"!

Thanks...Gita

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6010366

Gita, that's why I tried to give the recipe more as proportions, with some suggestions of numbers/amounts in parentheses. The idea is to fill your pot about 1/4 with potatoes, 1/4 with meat, and 1/4 with other root veggies, leaving the last quarter for adding onions and other veggies as desired.

My brother makes stock and stew in a big roasting pan in the oven... if you end up with too large an amount, you might try that. I think he sets the temp to about 300 degrees, although you might want to check it... basically, you want a slow simmer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Root Vegetables Combine for a Warming Winter Stew Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I share your soup disability sallyg 6 Jan 20, 2009 11:48 AM
I love soup from the garden! gessiegail 5 Jan 15, 2009 7:05 PM
Left over soup CountryGardens 2 Jan 15, 2009 7:06 PM
Soup phicks 1 Jan 15, 2009 7:06 PM
I'm headed for the kitchen right now Pamgarden 4 Jan 16, 2009 1:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America