Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 141 - The Winter seige is still on!!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 217, Views: 1,897
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6016463

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/941633/

Rose: Ducher

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6016485

Reposting the pic of my little clown... LOL

Thumbnail by DustyDS

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6016497

Back from my errands. I picked up 2 more books at the library, since they will be closed on Monday. Don't want to run out of things to read.

Funny pic Dusty. We don't have problems with squirrels at the birdfeeders. too many dogs around.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6016516

LOL... Me too... BUT they are inside looking out...I don't have any fencing out front for them...LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6016724

Sorry to pop in and pop out. I had a bunch of seeds to pack. Then I made myself an omelette and shared it with Carly.

We have a heat pump with emergency electric heat back up. Our bill always seems high to me! We keep windows open as much of the year as possible. I think we ran the a/c for maybe 5 days last year. We save 1/2 on property taxes compared to out other house but I think utilities cost twice as much!

Dusty, Charlie sells corn stoves, wood and coal stoves, furnaces, indoor, outdoor, water stoves, the whole works. It's nice to go down to the shop and feel the different ones. Some have blowers and some don't. As much as we lose electric, the fan would be wasted when we most need it. I'd love to have an old cast iron one for the greenhouse and a nice soap stone or decorative one inside. My Great Grandma always had a huge wood stove/furnace and her 100 year old home was so cozy.

My old neighbor was proud of his squirrel proof feeders. Of course he was not home during the day when the squirrels would hang from their back feet and clean them out (much like your pic!). LOL
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6016863

Just saying hello...so I can lurk and occasionally post! :)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6017193

Hi Heather...LOL

HEAT WAVE!!! It's 26* here!!!!

I will keep my eye out for you Michelle..I guess even an insert type would be okay for you for the greenhouse, as long as it has a base to stand on...One of the old Franklin styles would be ideal as it has a flat top for a water pan to keep the humidity up...There was a nice one in a front yard up in Springfield last week for $50, but I didn't bother since we don't need one anymore...Come Spring, there will be lots on Freecycle from people getting rid of them like there was last year...

I had to pop out too...Tummy finally settled enough for me to brave going out... I just zipped up to Wally, and got bird seed, a couple more suet cakes, some squirrel chow and a few groceries...I just wasn't up to going to Kroger too...I just put the last box for the Salvation Army in the garage with the others, since they are closed on Sunday...It will have to wait for another day...
Wally had those Digiorno Garlic bread crust pizzas on sale for $4.68 so I got 4 of them..2 Supremes, a Pepperoni for Jim, and a spinach and mushroom white one for me...They are really good pizzas, and cheap too...I got the cheeses I need for Lasagna on sale too, and 9 oz packs of deli ham and turkey for $1.97...Jim likes that for his lunches...

I just refilled my feeders and all of my birdies are happy now... My Cardinals are here as are a pair of Titmice...and my woodies...I have 3 kinds of them...I tossed a cup of seed on the ground for my poor Doves...The Starlings appear to be gone for the moment, and I hope they stay that way...

I just got a prezzie for Cookie from Freecycle, and I hope she can use it ...LOL...It is KEWEL!!!

Okay, I gotta go put my bed together...I finally got the duvet cover on the duvet instead of piled up in the Middle of TONI and Oprah's bed...LOL That $12 Brass headboard and footboard sure are pretty now that I finally got a double ended frame to put it up...

I'll check back later on...Food is not real high on my list of priorities, but I need to cook something later to feed his majesty...Better check the freezer...LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 17, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6017206

Michelle close the windows!

36 (Wind Chill 25)

Ric
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6017225

LOL! It says 28/15 for us here! Craig said it feels colder now than it did the last couple of days. I've not set foot outside the house. I have to soon though. We have a birthday party to go to. Quite frankly, I'd love to dump the kids and go eat Chinese buffet. I won't but it sounds better. :)

According to mail I received, I think someone put a bid in on our other house. The mail said something about getting the deed to follow through with a sale. Last appraisal was at $140k. County has it at $128k. I received a letter saying they were going to list it at $117k, and only had to get 2/3 of that amount. Geesh. I wish I had all the time and money I put into that house so someone could buy it for as little as we did in 1991!

I've joked about buying it back but there is no way I could go back to living in a fish bowl on 1/4 acre with out a lot of duress!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6017251

Dusty, when I hear abt situations like Caro, I wonder why dialysis isn't still hospital based. I know it's been 30 years since hospitals were the place where everything treatment oriented was under one big roof, but I still think it was a mistake for the insurance companies to encourage everyone to have freestanding facilities. In ahospital, if someone gets in trouble like that, you have a bunch of people who have seen this problem and treated it a hundred times before. And you can hustle the patient into an elevator and zoom them to the appropriate floor, not have to wait for an ambulance on the coldest day of the year, & then explain to the transport crew, & then load & unload & all that. I really could use a touch up on one of my implants, but I'm living with it because my plastic surgeon now only operates out of his own facility.
Ditto the urologist. The anesthesia folks at these places are all one size fits all, for the most part. If I have an anesthsthitist like that, I want it to be in a hospital where there are 4 others on the floor to step in when he or she goofs up.
OK, end of that sermon-- for now.

Re: the house temps. We keep ours at 68 during the day and 66 at night. My bedroom has a wicked draft, so I have an electric space heater. The colder it gets outside, the more heat the furnace pumps out, so that we actually had to turn the thermostat down as the tem plunged this week! Plus it cycles on more when it's windy. Gosh, I am home too much!
We have a fireplace & I love fires but they just suck the heat up the chimney. I should build a Rumford one in my bedroom!
Last night the draft was so bad I took the weather station thermometer off the bookcase & put it in the closet. Bookcase temp: 66.4. Closet temp when checked after 15 minutes= 54.3. I repositioned it farther back in the closet & checked again later: 51.2. Hey, I think I know where the draft is coming from!

Back to the birds: Since this house has such deep soffits, I have most of my birdfeeders hanging right outside the windows from long hooks hanging from the gutters. So I can reach out the window & bring the feeders in to clean & refill them. I use weighted squirrel proof feeders & just throw peanuts on the ground for the squirrels when it gets this nasty.

Once again, my life is SO BORING. Maybe I'll go see a movie. I've seen Doubt, which is very, very good, and The Reader, which would have been better without quite so much skin. I want to see Defiance, & maybe Frost/Nixon.

I just got this joke today, which I enjoyed. Hope it tickles someone else, too.

A woman had just returned to her home from an evening of church
services , when she was startled by an intruder. She caught the man in the
act of robbing her home of its valuables and yelled: 'Stop! Acts 2:38!'
(Repent and be Baptized, in the name of Jesus Christ , so that your sins
may be forgiven.)

The burglar stopped in his tracks. The woman calmly called the police and
explained what she had done.

As the officer cuffed the man to take him in, he asked the burglar: 'Why
did you just stand there? All the old lady did was yell a scripture to
you.'

'Scripture?' replied the burglar.. 'She said she had an ax and two 38s!'

++++++++++++++++++
Pat

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6017343

LOL, cute joke. :)

I'm just taking a break, which included a short trip to town to pick up a script refill that they were out of 2 days ago. I noticed gas is up another 10...

All I've been doing all week is putting data genealogy stuff online, and making corrections. I have worked so diligently on it that my tree has 1118 names, and most of them have dates of birth, marriage and death, plus lots of census reports of residences. So now I finally have "most" of the scattered paperwork assembled in comprehensible order, into files. No wonder my brain is fried. ('Course, that was a short trip.) Next will be the photos; many are old, dog-eared, mouse-chewed and unidentified. Ugh.

I was stunned at the tales of raids by Indians, detailed tortures, and children abducted never to be seen again. Of course, those paint a one-sided picture of our history which is always written by the winning side. Anyway, I'm learning LOTS about Ohio/Kentucky history and our migration into that area (and West Virginia) thanks to land grants to soldiers who fought in the Revolutionary War and French/Indian Wars... lands we "won" from the Brits and French.

I know this bores most folks into a stupor, but it's the areas where y'all live now... :)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6017384

Darius, that is great. I have worked on and off for many years on family histories, but so many resources in Kentucky have been lost to fires which destroyed many courthouses. The Kentucky Historical Society in Frankfort has many obscure records, and it is a fascinating place to visit.

Just got a call a couple in the community had a house fire, lost all possessions. This is such a sad story, as the woman's sister died in December with a a stroke, leaving 2 small children. This lady whose house burned had taken in her 2 children, plus she has 2 of her own. So a mom and dad and 4 small children, homeless and without any earthly possessions. The person who called is wanting me to try to do some fundraising, and see if the members of our church can kick in some donated clothing. etc.

While I have been typing this DH just got a frantic call from his DS, something is wrong with his DM, I am waiting to hear from him, as he tore out of here like a bat from h***.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6017424

Ohhhh Bons... Prayers going like crazy here...Let us know as soon as you can...
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6017508

Darius I get your passion. We recently visited a family cemetery with relatives dating back before 1900. My daughter and I took pictures of the head stones for history purpose...it has birth dates, deaths recorded and most had childrens and spouses listed. Then we had my grandfather go over them with us. It really is interesting. I have not got into the online collecting yet but that day at the cemetery was a memory for sure.

Cute joke, btw. :)

We are insane...getting ready to load the crew up to go ice skating! :O

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6017665

wow your all have been busy
Bonnie T&P to you and your DM. Big (((())))) too. Oh that poor family . i will dmail you with a question. :)
Got truck started , went to wally.
then drove to IGA down in St Paris.
Dusty cute squirrel. LOL
Darius i love history and any history anyone tells me i m always fascinated with it. Keep on telling us , its all good :) never boring.
goshmom that is a cute joke , i love it ! lollll
CHelle i may have to take a look at your neighbors stoves we are thinking of getting an insert for the fireplace
I think electric is the cheapest you can do right now , so i m told LOL between propane and other fuels for heating.
I keep ours on 71 . Two story house and i keep a little electric heater on upstairs. The basement door needs to be adjusted so cold doesn't come in . I can see light when i close it grrrr.
take care
and stay warm
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6017690

Okay, here's a tidbit for Sue: Did you know Ohio was not officially admitted to the Union as a state intil 1953, when it was celebrating its 150th Anniversary? ... Too funny. They actually had a rider on horseback ride all the way to Washington, DC to present the application to Congress!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6018119

Darius, I didn't know that either. Thanks for the history lesson.

DH called about 7:30, and they were in the process of waiting for an ambulance, to take her to the hospital. He said it seems she may have had a stroke, as she is not talking, and only just staring blankly, so that is all I know at this time.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6018156

Darius & Sue & Heny,
It's so nice to have some early history & genealogy buffs around! If you really want to get into it, http://www.usgenweb.org is a good place to start. Most of the records you want are on a county level, so it's organized by state and then county. I have ancestry.com, which costs quite a few bucks, but I use it almost every day, so I consider it money well spent. Plus they have a family tree program that you can use to link up to public records so its pretty wunderbar.

One thing I didn't know before I started reading up on early US history was how many kidnapped folks decided to stay with the Indians after they had been with them for awhile. Look up Indian captivity narratives & you'll find a bunch. The movie Black Robe, which you can get on video, tells of the Indian/ white clash from the early Canadian point of view, although I wouldn't watch it when the kids are around as there is some graphic violence.
It's so intriguing, I think, to look around at the surface of things & know that under a few inches of dirt & clay are are fossils from the last ice age, cast-off pottery or fishing & hunting gear from the Hopewell people, arrowheads from the Indians who were trying to save their way of life from the invaders (aka gr-gr-grandpa & family), and bullets from the Civil War.
I was sorting through some photos that I inherited from a non-family member, & found the receipts for 2 lots in Linden Grove Cemetery in Covington dated 1863 & 1864. If these people had HGTV back then, they would have thrown all those old receipts away by 1865!
Pat
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6018310

Hi Ric,
Yeah I'm back... I go missing now and again then, it's nothing personal toward people here. I think you all are a great bunch. It's been a very difficult year and sometimes I can only deal with so much.

Anyway, new year - new start. I love new beginnings.

Dove
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6018312

Pat, the joke was too cute, I'll have to pass that one on to my mom, it sounds like something she would say. :-)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #6018607

Bonnie T&P for you family. THinking of you .
Darius no i didn't know that Hmmm LOL funny . Should i mention it to my kids teachers *giggle* yeah i know i m bad.
goshmom i will look into that link tomorrow looks interesting.
ok i m pooped
got truck started and got it plugged in ha found the darn plug thingy
got grocerys
got mail finaly ha
got a cool letter from my cousin in Idaho and he made a memory pic of Chris Ladoux ? spelling ? country music artist died in 2005 . So that was cool and he is going to send me a reprint of his art of it . Neat i thought. Wow .
off to my bed
hugs
sue
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6019141

Woo-Hoo, got up at 6:00 and it was above freezing today.. heck it was a sweltering 25 degrees!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6019269

Dovey,

Lucky you, it was 18 here. Last two nights it's been that cold.

Last Monday on a fair day, my engine overheated. I had to put some water in the radiator to cool it down, maybe about a gallon or so. Needless to say the coolant/anti-freeze is somewhat diluted now. I've made a point for the last 4 nights to park in the carport and watch that 2 liter bottle of water sitting in there to see if it froze. Yesterday it had, so we checked the radiator to be sure it wasn't frozen. It was good, but with a thermostat in the van that doesn't work, it's awful cold traveling before sun-up when the temps start to rise again.

The kerosene heater kept the temp in the GH at 38. The orchids seem to be surviving it as well as all else, except my toes.

Hi Chele, good to see you and the family are well and things are looking up for Craig.

Project for today is get 600+ more feet of fence posts and field wire up. DS is leaving for good in a week. I guess I can handle most everything else on my own...except resurrecting the "freebee" deck on the front side of the barn. It's sitting out there in 2 pieces, much too heavy for me to carry. Maybe I can get him to do that, sit it on some 4x4 supports and secure it. Hey, sounds good to me. hmmmm, gotta think on this some more.

I like the very dark coffee too. Will buy either Maxwell House, Folgers, or the store brand, whatever is cheapest on the day I shop.
Last July I had a problem with my Mr Coffee. It was making some funny noises that morning. I didn't have a chance to look into the problem, but knowing I CANNOT wake up in the morning without fresh coffee, I stopped and bought another Mr Coffee, same as the one I have. It was on sale at 50% off. When I got home I went through the old one and discovered it just needed a good cleaning. Been working fine since.

I still have that new one in the box. At 1/2 price I will keep it. There's still room in the pantry to store a backup.

Been sick for the past 3 weeks. Still trying to come out of it AND keep working. I try to keep up on my watched threads but have been falling asleep on the desk reading.

Someone drank the rest of the milk last night, so no cereal this morning. Maybe we'll run down to Bronson for breakfast out.

BBL,
Molly

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6019471

(((Bonnie and family)))

Check in please Bonnie and let us know what is happening. What can we do to help your family in need? What size clothes are the children and boys or girls? I don't have any clothes, but I might be able to bum some off my kids.

Snowing and pretty here today. I just got up at 9:30. Wow...can't tell you when that happened!

Dusty, you got me a pressie?????? Oh Cool! I'll swap you, cheese for pressie.

Molly, that sounds so COLD for Florida! Wow. glad the GH is surviving.

Stay warm and happy all!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6019699

Good Morning Everyone! I've been busy quite a while reading and answering threads here on DG, saving the best for last. :)

Wow, Molly... that's as cold as when I was staying out there with you when you first moved. Brrrr. But of course, you have HEAT now and don't have to pile everyone in the LR with a generator running one small heater overnight!

It's snowing here, which I thought wasn't supposed to start until late this afternoon. So, I just looked at the Advisory... Freezing rain mixed with light snow, THEN all snow this afternoon. Bet that will be fun driving on snow over ice. Glad I have lots to do here and no need to go out...

So Chele, what's the good news or is there any yet?

I need more coffee... and some breakfast. BBL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6019707

good morning !!! snowing here got another few inches maybe 2 " ?
not much here
take care
stay warm
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6019712

Pat, I forgot to add a note about your link, and the history remarks. I've used the GenWeb pages; some states/counties have more data translated than others but it's a good source. The history is fascinating... and I hated history in school. Now that I can relate the movements of my family to the events of the time, it makes a big difference. I'll make a note of the Indian books/film you mentioned... put it on my growing To-Do list!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6019727

oh yeah FYI
don't eat peanut butter or anything containing it. To many salmonalla cases are being reported.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6019822

Howdy folks!
Well, we did get a break in a pipe as they thawed yesterday. Got it repaired and were able to shower, but that bathroom is a disaster and everything is pulled out of there and into the middle of the living room floor. I'm just staying out of eyeshot of it for now, LOL.

Chele, I have a friend with a couple of greenhouses who has a woodstove in one. Everything in the house with the stove colored up well before the stuff in the other GH. Saved her a bundle on propane too. Its a stove she found used, people are often getting rid of one or upgrading, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a used one.

Darius, I think history, especially our regional history, is fascinating. Sounds like you've got the ground work done for a good book! I find such a richness of heritage where so many of us have native blood blended with European roots. My maternal grandmother (who died before I was born) used to say she had "Indian blood" according to my mother. It was easy to believe from the pictures of her I've seen, very dark hair and eyes, a squat build, and pronounced cheekbones.

Dovey, just glad to have ya here when ya can :-) I know what you mean though, sometimes life gets me to a point where I don't have room to allow more in, and I get so bogged down in the murk I can't let it out either. But also like you, I keep focusing on this new year and new beginnings! Last year was rough, so I'm looking forward to a bloom filled '09 by golly!

Bonnie, you, your MIL and family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ric, we've been leaving a trickle, but seems like one or the other (hot or cold) will freeze up anyway. The pipes are on an exterior wall on the north-east side of the house. The good thing is we went ahead and put a foam insulating thingy on there while the wall is torn out and the pipes are exposed. I've heard conflicting advice, but is it a good idea to leave the hot water dripping?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 18, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6019898

Good morning,just barely. Everything here is still about the same. DMIL is just hanging on, and may do so for awhile longer.

I did get a phone call about the family who lost their home, an agency in another county has opened it's doors for them, and they have all the clothes that they need. There have been generous donations of money and furniture and household items, so it seems for the time being that they are being taken care of.

Thanks to all of those who have offered assistance to them. They may need assistance at a later time, but for right now they are doing well.

Neal glad to hear that you have water, even if you have a mess to restore.

Will check in later.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6020103

Sorry about the pipe break. That's always a pain, but at least it was where you could get to it, right?

I've had another sinus headache since the wee hours. Even my teeth hurt in the top of my mouth. Man, I will not miss this winter, not one bit!

There's a whole chicken simmering on the stove. I'm going to remove the meat, then return the bones to the broth for stock. It's smelling soooo good and I'm looking forward to fresh chicken, brown rice & veggie soup tonight. Yum!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6020328

Hi all! . The lurker here, always present , seldom seen. LOL.

I will try to be brief and bring you all up-to-date on my life. I was laid off from my job as of Christmas. I had an absolutely great week after Christmas. My DD,SIL and two wonderful Grandchildren came up from Texas and spent the week with us. The kids are 2 and 4 and I had a ball with them. The 2 yr old is my daughter all over again. It was wierd and wonderful to experience her at this stage in her life. Everyone remarked that she was a clone of her mother and her actions, voice and antics were very remindful of my daughter at that age. They left on the second to drive home to Texas.

Jan 3rd, I suffered an extreme lower GI bleed and ended up in the hospital ICU. I was in the hospital for a week and am still feeling weak and I have no "get up and go".

I have a question for any of you who are familiar with the medical stuff. Is a C.A.T. Scan
something that can be read by any medical staff , or does it need to "read" like an x-ray is read by a radiologist? The CAT Scan and chest x-ray were done just minutes before the ER staff hung two units of blood and put me in an ambulance to the Columbus hospital.(My doctor is in Columbus and they have more and better facilities than we have locally.) I noticed on my bill, that the CAT scan was $ 3700.00, and I wondered if it was needless or if it was something that could have been printed immediately and sent with me to Columbus.
I have caught up on reading all your posts and , and send hugs and good wishes out to all of you.

Lou

This message was edited Jan 18, 2009 1:57 PM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6020384

Lou, they probably sent the results ahead of you electronically. Oh, my gosh, I'm so glad you're okay! Sorry to hear about your job, though it sounds like you enjoyed a wonderful week because of its timing!

Aaaaagh, aaaaaagh. Howie came home from grocery shopping and saw that someone broke out the Jetta's window and stole the car stereo. You know, the one I just got in July for my birthday? :X :X :X Bad words coming out of me. We usually remove its faceplate and hide it up in the visor, but last night we didn't. Whoever did the job knew what he was doing, because the door hadn't been opened; had it been, the alarm would have gone off. He just smashed the window, climbed in, and ripped up the console to get what he wanted. :X

*sigh*

At least we have the serial number from the box. The policeman said that is good because they can watch for it at pawn shops. Also, it is snowing, not pouring rain.

That's about as positive as I'm gonna get right now. After all the times our windows have been broken by vandals, we now have people stealing, too. We only have one off-street parking spot, and we let Nancy have it since her door opens onto the driveway. We're easy pickings out on the street, and there's not a thing we can do to stop these :X :X idiot kids. :/

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6021499

Oh GW i m so sorry ! that happened to you. :(
Neal glad you got your pipes fixed. Im enjoying my curry , i made chicken and rice with curry.
Lou sorry to hear you had that health problem .T&P for you and a ((()))))
Bonnie (((()))) to you and T&P for your MIL :)
making it short since i have kids who want a movie turned on uhg
ttyl
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6021594

Lou, the CAT scan must be read by a Radiologist... no "instant" reads there. But GW is probably right that they sent the data while you were on the road. MY GI bleed a year or so ago was upper GI and I had lost so much blood that I was seldom conscious, certainly not enough to know what was going on. They transferred me too... and was about a week in the hospital. It was more than a month before I had any "get up and go". GLAD you are okay!

GW, that's the pits! Invariable when I don't do something I should (like remove a faceplate), sooner or later it bites me.) That's often no guarantee they won't get it anyway. I assume you are insured. They can come to your house to replace the window.

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6021655

Good grief Kimberly! So sorry this has happened. On top of losing the stereo, that threat to the sanctity of your home must be terribly unsettling too. Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lou, good to hear from ya. Hope you recover quickly, so sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of it. Glad you were able to have the gift of time with loved ones as a result of the lay off. T&P your way too..(((())))

Sue, glad you're enjoying the curries! I love curries during cold weather, sort of warms me from the inside out (I like to add a little more cayenne sometimes).

Yay! the pipes are fixed and the bathroom is back in order. The vanity had to be pulled out, but we were able to get to it, and with the vanity back in place you can't see where the dry wall was cut out. I have a living room we can walk through again too :-) Got potting soil today so I can start sowing seeds tomorrow. I've got several to start under lights and a boat load to winter sow. I'm soooo ready to get my hands in dirt!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6021736

I meant to let Chele know to be careful of stoves in a GH... Kathy Algood (kathy_ann) came home today to find her GH a pile of smoldering ashes.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6021768

Oh No! OMG, she had the most amazing collection of stuff in there!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6022401

Good eveing folks. Finished a book tonight, since there was not much going on today, I spent a good deal of time with that book.

Lou, I am so sorry that you have been sick. Is this something that came on suddenly, or were you aware of a problem? Good to know that you got to visit with the DGK's, and your DD. Sorry for the lay off, but it did afford you time for that visit. Will you be called back to the job, or is the company downsizing?

Kimberly, ohhhh no. I am so sorry that you had the break in and the loss of your radio/stereo. Just when we let down our guard, someone is there to take advantage of it. It is a horrible feeling to have something stolen from you, just a feeling of being violated.

Neal, glad that you got the bathroom all back in order. Now who is gonna open the vanity door to discover drywall missing? Fix it when you get around to it. I am not gonna relate similar stories about frozen pipes when we lived in the other house, might bring down the frozen pipe demons on me!! Been there done that, and sometimes it was a day or 2 or 3 before we could get the problems fixed. Mighty inconvenient.

Darius, I didn't know kathy_ann, but sure feel sorry for her loss. What kinds of things did she have in her greenhouse?

I was gonna comment on stoves they are indeed warm heat, but they require a watchful eye. Anytime you have live coals, there is a real danger. We used to have a wood stove, and it was indeed very cozy, but one year, during the middle of the winter, we had a chimney fire, and oh, my what a mess, with the smoke damage. Took me days to clean everything, and had to wash/dryclean everything in the house. So the next winter, we eliminated the wood stove, and relied only on the propane furnace. More expensive, but a lot safer.

I had planned to switch the litter of puppies to a larger crate tomorrow, but went out today, and there were puppies all over the garage. Have their eyes open, and in full exploration mode. So had to do the switch this afternoon, installed a 8 inch board across the doorway, as we have to give mamma access for feeding, but need a barrier to keep the puppies inside. I was going to take some pics, but the camera had dead batteries. Will try to do that tomorrow.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
6:37 AM

Post #6022738

Yay, Bonnie! We LUV puppy pictures.
My sister's , Alice, is not doing well. SHe's a tibetan terrier, abt 9 years old, & she's got diabetes, & occasional bouts of pancreatitis. Because of the diabetes, she got cataracts, & then detatched retinas, & is now blind. I guess some dogs adjust to this, but Alice really seems disinclined to use her ears & her nose & just keeps bumping into stuff.
Now the vet has sent her to a doggy opthalmologist, who's talking abt removing her eyes because now she's at such risk for glaucoma. I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable with all this intervention, but my sister (and her vet) just aren't there yet. Not a very good situation.
So I need PUPPY PICTURES to cheer me up, please!
Pat
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6022982

Goshsmom, My Snowy, a 12 y/o rescue Greyhound came down with glaucoma in 1 eye 2 years ago. She doesn't seem to be too bothered by it, other than being blind on the left side now. Occasionally it bulges more than usual and it may be slightly painful, but I give her a head massage and pamper her for it. Greyhounds have a tendency for bad breath and tartar build up. My vet wanted to sedate her and clean her teeth. She has a heart murmur, sedating her may put her dead on the table. I said no way! I can live with her bad breath. The way I see it, I would have had to pay $800 to kill her. Ain't doing it!

Darius, When you were here I think the lowest we had might have been 22 or 24. Last winter the lowest was 17 and back in November 2008 we have already had a low of 12 degrees. Global warming hasn't hit North Central Fla yet. Yesterday we finished the 329 foot stretch of fencing along the state preserve in the back. Got the posts to finish the stretch down the 630 foot side. Allen is providing the posts for half of that piece that runs on his property line. Been over to Sparr Building Supply dickering for the best discount. They usually give me what I want on building supplies, much cheaper than Lowe's or HD.

We got the rest of the rain gutters up last week and now just have to get the rain barrels set up to catch the water. But I probably am repeating myself. We had a hard steady rain last night and that's what I fell asleep to. Muffled rain on the metal roofover and louder rain on the GH roof. Comfortable in knowing the gutters were keeping the rain from running down the side of the house leaking into the windows. No more soaker towels or rain pans in the house. It's like heaven.

Oops, gotta wake up my offspring for work. Better git.

Have a great day yall, don't slip on that black ice and stay warm.

Molly
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6023292

Thanks all for the info. I didn't know what sort of format a CAT scan had and I wasn't aware that they could send it electronically. That makes me feel better to know the money wasn't wasted. It was a sudden attack and I lost consiouness about the time Dave was taking me in the emergency room. Someone ran out with a wheelchair and caught me on my way down. Or so I'm told. The next I knew I was sort of aware of being in an ambulance and the emt was saying to stay awake. I remeember thinking, "Yah, right" as I went out again.

I can begin to add solid food to my diet this week ,so maybe I will get to feeling stonger soon. Lou
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6023424

Solid food will make all the difference in the world Lou. Hope its early in the week when you can eat!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6023483

Morning all!

(((Lou))), I just sent you a dmail. I'm so sorry to hear about the hospital emergency! I hope you are on your way to recovery. Have you tried any Ensure? The chocolate is pretty good if you drink it cold. Your Christmas visit sounds wonderful!

Kimberley, those thugs took your birthday radio?? Do you think it's the same idiots that were busting up stuff a year ago or new jerks? I'm afraid things will get worse. So many out of work and having financial issues. Or maybe it's just kids with nothing better to do?

Bonnie, has there been any more news on your DMIL? It has to be really rough on all of you. Did the family from church find somewhere warm to stay? They are okay on clothing right now?

Neal, I'm so happy to hear your plumbing issues are resolved! Even better that you didn't have to do a lot of demolition and rebuilding! Why do things always go bad at the coldest, yuckiest times to be crawling under a house?? LOL

Pat, is that the same little dog that tried to eat me when I came to your house? I think I remember you saying she could not see. It's so sad to hear about her medical problems. I can't imagine a dog without eyes? It sounds like your sister just isn't ready to give up yet. Could she have a normal life if they do that surgery?

Have we heard from msrobin since she went out for beer? Wonder if she found it? :)

Darius, I read about Kathy Ann's fire. How horrible! The pictures were devastating, total loss. I didn't know about her medical problems but was sad to she that she will not rebuild.

Hello Heather! Nothing to say but hello??

Sue, thank for the peanut butter warning. They are saying it's only the institution type peanut butter that was affected but Kellogg, Austin, Little Debbie and who else has pulled peanut butter crackers?? I've seen warnings to avoid anything with peanut butter as it ALL may have come from the same processing plant. Scary. I remember a DG member being very ill when the last peanut butter issue happened. It was of course the brand she ate every day!

Molly, it sounds like you are working way too hard!

I guess I'm gonna sit her a bit longer then figure out what to get into. We got about and inch of snow but the roads look clean. I just saw the salt truck go up and down the road. I have one kid around the corner having a sleep over and one that has basketball practice tonight. Other than that, my day looks boring.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6023545

Chelle be good today to yourself. :)
Oh i m so sorry about Kathy_Ann i know she had lots of wonderful things in her GH. T&P for her.
Yeah Neal can shower again , (whew the smell was getting to me ) LOL :P just teeezing :)
yeah puppy pics coming soon.
Yeah were is msrobin with the beer ? and did she get us any ?
well woke up late and am still in my jammies. i m getting way to lazy with all these snow days. "ack"
well savannah is buggig me for the comp
have a great day
big ~~~~~~~ to everyone
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6023576

LOL Sue! It's not that I have nothing to do, it's that I don't know where to start. LOL I officially have 8 weeks and 2 days left on my pregnancy. But who's counting???

Thanks to some wonderful DGers, we are well set for the baby to arrive. The kid needs a chest! I may post on freecycle. He's up to 7 little Sterilite totes full of clothes. I had to send hubby to the dollar store the other day so I could put all the little socks and bibs in their own bucket! It is so odd (but neat!) to see all these little blue clothes.

We went to team recognition night for the soccer players and coaches last night. It was funny to see people I hadn't seen in 2-3 months. They were all ribbing me about how much larger and lower my belly is. They are also cracking up that this one is a boy. It was funny. All of the girls got soccer bracelets and patches for their jackets/hats. We also won 2 t-shirts and a medal.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6023616

Good morning, we had snow last night, looks like about 2 inches. No morning paper, which starts my day off wrong.

DMIL is declining every day. Hospice is coming today, so hopefully they can help lift the burdens that the family has been under.

The family whose house burned, are staying temp. with his parents. They have a huge home, and they have taken over the basement. Many donations of clothing, household items, and toys have come in, plus an agency in an adjoining county opened their doors late Sat afternoon, and invited them to come get whatever clothes they need. So for now they are okay. They will start looking for a rental this week.

As soon as I get dressed, (still in jammies) I will head out to get puppy pictures.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6023661

Ack! No paper?? That is just wrong! Can you read it online or is it just not the same?

I'm sorry to hear the sad news about your MIL. On the few occasions that I've dealt with Hospice, they have been really wonderful. It takes a lot of heart and compassion to do what they do.

I'm glad to hear that family is getting help. If they need any other items, be sure to let us know.

Don't bust your butt to get puppy pics! LOL
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 19, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6023695

Bonnie, sorry to hear of your MIL. Hospice has some wonderful people working for them. One of the MD's that's on their board works here in our office. It's funny, his gruffness really hides a heart of gold.

Apparently tis the season for fires. One of my co-worker told me Friday that her inlaw's house was burning right then. Told me this morning that it burnt to the ground. They live in TN away from city water and everything was frozen and they basically couldn't fight the fire.

We got the cows home from the other farm Saturday and so we're at overflow at the main farm. Preg checks today plus worming and shots. Then they'll wean heifers and ship open cows. Another good day for me to be working in town!

Nothing more going on in my boring life...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6023727

You mean you didn't miss work so you could stay home and grope cows? LOL Somehow THAT does not sound boring. :) I watched a "Dirty Jobs" episode where he helped inseminate cows and that was something!

It's been a year since my neighbors kennel/barn burned down. He has a very long driveway. Someone had pulled it to gawk at the fire, turned around and headed back out the driveway without even offering help or stopping to see if the owner was okay. On his way out the drive, the fire engines were coming in and they slid off the drive while trying not to hit him. Because of that, no other trucks could get down the driveway, forcing them to set up a big trough. Water trucks had to pull in, fill the trough and pull back out. Then the water had to be pumped about 200 feet to the fire. It was a total loss. :(
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6023941

Good Morning...Up to 14* here, and is still spitting snow.. I thought earlier that we had about and inch of new, but it appears it was 2 inches according to the Wheelie and the birdbath...

Lou...So sorry to hear about your harrowing experience...but sure glad you are on the mend...

Bons...I am glad Hospice is taking over...that will be a huge relief...
I am waiting for Puppy Pics too...nooooo I don't want one...Lily is enough of a hellion for me to deal with...I swear she is Osaka reincarnated...Same disobedient, hardheaded lil wench she was...When I chastise her for getting into something, she promptly sits, and looks at me and turns her head back and forth like she is listening intently, and then barks at me as if to say..**Look lady, I'm a puppy...That's what puppies do...Deal with it!!** Onery lil wench...grrrr

Somebody told the squirrels down at Berties house that I put out the goodies for them...I just had 4 of them come trooping up from behind her barn...LOL They are feasting on sunflower seeds, corn and peanuts...I learned a long time ago that if I feed them, they will leave my stuff alone...

Do you have a Salvation Army anywhere near you Michele?? Alot of times they will give you something if you are receiving *Assistance*... Ask to speak to the manager, and explain what you need...It is worth a shot...The Goodwill will NOT help...at least they won't around here...

Well, I better get back at it...I am doing laundry and a whole house vacuum thanks to Lily shredding the end off of one of the rope toys...I have threads everywhere including the bathroom...

You all have a great day!!!

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6024107

Joycet - I was looking for the photo of your dark bird, and somehow, I posted on the wrong thread (AGAIN!!!!)

I wonder if this is what you are seeing...

Could this be your dark bird? It's a Junco. We have tons of them here. They migrate - we do not have them in summer.
We have the Slate colored Junco. When they squat down, or nestle down in the snow, you would think they are all very dark gray.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Dark-eyed_Junco.html

The only other thing I can think of that Joycet may have seen would be a male cowbird - but he would have had a brown head,

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Brown-headed_Cowbird.html

or an actual male blackbird, but a juvenile would have had a yellow bar wing, and an adult would have had a red barred wing.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Red-winged_Blackbird.html

All the other mainly black birds I can think of are much larger than a cardinal.

Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 19, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6024132

Yes, Chele, you preg check cows sorta the way you AI cows and yes, I've put my hand there many, many times...
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6024178

How about Hello I am stuck in snow he!! :) Six kids with 5 straight days of house bound...the neighborhood is too slick to get out...we had that one little trip to ice skate but other wise we have been home! And some counties are calling 'snow day' tomorrow...HELP ME!! :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6024276

Good Morning... Well morning for me anyway. I was up until just before 5 AM, don't know why I was too wired to sleep.

Hey Chele and Lou... My Doc said to buy the Carnation Instant Breakfast and stir into milk. Much cheaper than Ensure, and just as well balanced with lots of protein. I like all their flavors except the strawberry (although I love real strawberries!).

We had some snow overnight, maybe 2 inches? and it's still snowing, mostly just very fine stuff. I don't see any more accumulation going on so far, but the Weather Liars say snow through Wednesday night... By tomorrow I will need to go to town for dry cat food, or feed them home canned chicken... which makes them not want to eat dry food anymore!

I need to go fix some breakfast... man, I haven't had a good farm egg in 3 months!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6024470

Thanks Juli!! That is exactly what they are the Slate Juncos...At least that is what I have here...Learned a new one today... LOL

And Please!!! That is not a private chat thread...Come join us...

Darius...I'm with you, on the strawberry flavor... I too love strawberries, but that stuff is nasty... LOL and your Doc is right...much cheaper for those who have to buy it...

It is flurrying here again too after about an hours break...it's up to 18* and the sun is out bright...I was gonna go to the Salvation Army, but have decided I am not gonna get out of my sweats today for nuthin or nobody... LOL

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6024479

Oh Jules, thank you. Yes, I think that could very well be the bird I was seeing. He was huddled down under the feeder and I couldn't see his belly so he appeared all black. Well, cool...thanks again!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 19, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #6024484

Oops! Sorry...not much beer left after going to visit buddies yesterday for a cook out. Don't know why they even bother cooking out on Sundays. By the time the foods done, they've all had one too many and aren't hungry, so the food goes in the fridge immediately. I gave them so much static since the last time we worked with them in NC about inviting us for a cookout and not feeding me, that they made sure I had a plate full yesterday!

We're still in the motel, although tomorrow I'm moving us to a bigger room with a kitchenette (ie: bigger refrigerator, counter with microwave). First motel we've stayed in with ceramic tile floors...much cleaner, but ice cold! First time I've been gung-ho about settling into something more semi-permanent, and DH wants to stay at the motel at least a few more weeks. Fine with me, as we always end up losing money on rentals when we leave. But I'm seeing local people getting their gardens ready and I'm getting gardening-fever! This is a nice little town and we have a number of friends working here, too, so all in all, it's not a bad place to be, if we can't be home. BTW, found the laundramat!

(((Bonnie))) and (((Lou))), sorry to hear the bad news! My thoughts and prayers are with you both!

Chele, any word on DH's interview? Glad to hear you are doing well.

I'm impressed with how knowledgeable you all are about the birds. I need to study our bird book a lot more!

Guess that's it for now. Be careful and stay warm!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6025781

Welll I didn't wanna, but I guess I gotta...I need to go fuel up the Wheelie, and get my paperwork for tomorrow...I have to be in Hillsboro at 7:15 am so that means leaving here by 5am...I will wait for a bit till the rush hour traffic lets up...

Supper is in the oven...I decided to do Ribs and baked sweet taters, and steamed Broccoli instead of the lasagna...I'm still wary of the tomato sauce...LOL

Robin, I guess if you found beer and the laundry, you are in great shape... LOL Just ask Taynors!!! LOL

Well I guess I better go swap a load of my laundry, and get my jeans on...I soooo did not wanna go out today...

Back later on...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6025786

glad to see you msrobin, we got worried LOL about your beer run. Glad they feed you .
Chelle i need your girls to come and help savannah with her new Bratz Nintendo game !!! AHG i can't figure it out ? sheesh i m dumb.
Bonnie T&P for you and family. Hospice is a Godsend. My aunt had them for her DH and she said they were wonderful !!
Ok a big "eeewww " on the cow thing. Yeah i m sure i will have to do it some day when we get cattle but for right now "EWW" lolol
18 today and we had alot of sun and it was nice then i went to wally and it started clouding up and snowed grrrrr.
got out and went to mall and wally . not much else but felt good to get out
Heny i m so with you girl, i know your pain ... well ok pain with only 2 kids and not 6. I can't imagine a house with that many ? and your still alive ? you are woman here me roar . :) good luck to you i hope you get out soon.
ttyl
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6025796

LOL Dusty you stinker :P I heard that !!! yeah finding laundry was the pits . I don't ever want to see another laundry facility again in my life !!! i shall never look at a quarter the same again LOL

valrita

January 19, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6025879

I was trying to catch up on the posts and I went to the website that Goshsmom posted and have been lost there ever since. Thanks so much!

I've been trying to untangle my family's history in south Jersey and I'm hoping to find something that I can use. I've traced my family back to the late 1800's. Then I found the original immigrants (two brothers from the West Indies who marry two Dutch sisters 1740's) and have traced them down to the early 1800's. I know the link between the two is there but I can't seem to find it yet.

There are only three main surnames--the West Indies/Dutch mulattoes, the Lenape/? mulattoes and another possibly African/? mulattoes. They all intermarried due to racial prejudice from other people. In fact, it's still common for my family to intermarry with the other two surnames. I can find some records of the ones who owned land but many were poor share croppers so I'm having trouble.

Thanks for the resource!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6026513

Yeah, I hear ya, Velnita! I have spent ALL DAY trying to find a relative... a woman in the later 1800's who belonged to the Methodist Church 108 years (and smoked a corn cob pipe!). All I have is her last name, and that she lived in Michigan with a great-granddaughter. I bet I have looked at a hundred web pages, and read countless illegible census reports. Ugh. Wouldn't be so bad IF I had found her! And, I have another equally evasive gggg+ grandmother to try and track down, but only on another day.

We haven't had any more snow accumulation; what little I saw out the door sure was pretty, though.

Sue and Heny... I'm getting cabin fever and it's just me in the house. I can't imagine being trapped with kids!

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 20, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6026586

Not me with cabin fever...I could stay in here for another month if it wasn't for supplies...I think I could easily be a Hermit...LOL

Fed the DH, cleaned up the mess, got my shower and shampoo, and just hung up the last load out of the dryer...Gotta call for service on it tomorrow...I think the heating element may be bad...I had to run all 3 loads twice before they got dry...Not good...I need it fixed before the weekend for sure...
I'm waiting on my hair to dry a bit more before I head off to bed...Alarm is set for 4am...Outta here by 5...Hopefully no sneaky snow comes tonight...I don't want to have to deal with that on the 2 lane roads for 2 hours each way at that hour of the morning in the dark...

Have a good night, and a good day tomorrow...stay warm!!

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6026594

Here is a "sampling" of the puppy litter. Trying to get a shot of all 9 was like trying to herd worms. Will try to get them all another day.

Thumbnail by defoecat

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #6027040

Ohmigosh, they are so cute, Bonnie! Thank you for traipsing out in the cold to get a picture for me.
Chele, it's the same dog that tried to eat you. The cataracts were easier to deal with because she still had some peripheral vision. Once the retinas detached her vision has just gone, and her eyes are quite watery. If the eyes are removed, she won't have the watery discharge, & won't be at risk for glaucoma, which, according to all the vets we've talked to, can become painful. So, at least for another month, we still going to do the eyedrops & insulin injections & see what happens. If she'd be a little more of her feisty self I'd be more encouraged. She just pretty much lays around. Our whole household spends more time semi-comatose than awake!!!

On the genealogy front, start-- always -- with what you know. Start with yourself & work backward. It's very rare to be able to fill in all the blanks on your parents & grandparents without a big surprise somewhere.
Darius, send me what you know abt the colorful 108 year old-- name-- children?-- possible states & locatiions & I'll see what I can find. Is the tough name her maiden or married name?
I will say that sometimes family legends turn out to be true. I thought for last 10 years that my grandmother had been exagerating abt her gr-grandfather. She said he lived to be 107 and had 7 wives. I could only find 4 wives, & then this past year I turned up an unexpected first wife, a second marriage to one he'd divorced, and a totally unknown one in the middle. He did have seven wives (or six with one repeat!). He died, according to the death certificate, at 97, so she might have exagerated there!

Other good sources for free info are http://www.rootsweb.com (which has location and name related mailing lists), http://www.cyndislist.com which has every genealogy link known to God and man, and Heritage Quest, which you have to access via a library card number. If your local library doesn't have a subscription, they'll tell you how to get a card so you can get online with their database, which is HUGE.

Y'all take care, I need to go put in the laundry.
Pat
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 20, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6027442

Another good source, but not always accurate, is LDS.
The Mormon's have the largest personal database outside the Federal Gov...

Ric
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6027697

Good morning!

Well, last night Craig got his "thanks but not thanks" email from the job he interviewed for Thursday in N Ky. It was better than the typical "although your qualifications were impressive". LOL Nonetheless they went with a candidate that was better suited. Grrr. He is still waiting to hear back on the Columbus job, to set up an interview.

Bonnie, those puppies are so cute! I always love how short and fat their little noses are when they are born. It's fun to watch them change. I still need to get over to my neighbors and get pictures of his new little of English Bantam Bulldogs. Last time I saw them, they were only 2 days old. I bet they've grown a LOT in the last two weeks!

I applaud those of you doing the genealogy searches. My sister spent some time tracing down my Grandma's French relatives but I'm not sure what she did with the info. I worked on my Dad's family some and also on his parents. He has a cousin or uncle that has done far more research. My Mother's side has proved more difficult. I did have very good luck with the Mormon site as Ric mentioned.

I was surprised the kids didn't have a delay today. I checked the weather and it said it was 7, feels like -7. I checked again a few minutes ago and it was down to 5. our high for today is only 20. Bleck.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6027853

Shoot, Chele, sorry he didn't get that job. There is one out there, though. Don't give up! ((((Hugs)))))

When Howie went to his men's group at 6am, it was -7. Uuugh.

Well, State Farm evidently has a warehouse stock of car stereos and they're sending us a replacement. If the model we had isn't available, they'll send the next model up. Howie dropped the car off at the glass shop we like and it should be ready to pick up today. We're not sure if we're going to put the replacement stereo back in there, at least not until we get a video camera to train on the cars. Grrrr.

In other news...Not much. LOL I had a sinus headache all day yesterday, so work wasn't as fun as usual. When it's bad like that, if I perspire at all, any cool breeze on my forehead is agonizing, and I was opening the drive-thru window all day. By the time I stopped at Walgreen's on my way home, I was all squinty-eyed - very attractive, I'm sure! LOL I ended up buying a NeilMed Sinus Rinse kit. It works far better than the ordinary neti pot like the SinuCleanse kit I'd used before. This is a squeeze bottle that lets you exert gentle pressure as you irrigate. As soon as I got home, I used that and then took a hot shower. It really helped, first relief I'd had for days. http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php

Bonnie, Howie's now breathing thoughts of getting a puppy. I don't know if we'll be ready to get a pup by the time this group's ready to go to new homes, though. We need to be sure we're in a position to feed, vet and otherwise care for another critter before we jump in and get one. Sarah's getting older and we would like to get a third dog for Emma to bond with for when Sarah's no longer here. She's healthy now, but she's not going to be around forever. Boy, I hate to even type that!

I am off today and have no plans. Tomorrow I work 10-5 and then Howie and I are going to see Garrison Keillor's show at the Midland Theater. It was Howie's surprise Christmas gift to me. My boss had me scheduled until 6pm, which would barely have given us time for me to get home and for us to grab a quick bite to eat before the 8pm show. She told me she'd come in for coffee for an hour tomorrow and work from 5-6pm so I can get out of there early. This is one of the reasons I drive so far for a part-time job: She does stuff like that for us.

It's been a quiet week in Lake Woebegon, my home town... It's funny how many of my co-workers, mostly college kids, who've never heard of Keillor. *sigh*

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

I found an interesting blog while looking for photos of Garrison Keillor. This lady, a NY City subway musician, has performed on his show. http://sawlady.com/blog/ Her blog is fascinating and entertaining.

Thumbnail by gardenwife

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #6028033

GW - I have seen Keillor half a dozen times, but it has been quite a few years ago. I wanted to go to this one, but I have already used a lot of my vacation, only have one week left, so didn't want to use a day for it. I'll be there in spirit! Seeing Garrison, or George Carlin were my favorite shows. I download Keillor's podcast each week, but sadly, due to copyrights of people on the show, it only has his Lake Woebegone (sp?) story on it, not the entire show.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6028116

I know! I wish they'd allow more of the show. I don't understand why they can't at least do the standard parts like Guy Noir, the Ketchup Advisory Board, Bertha's Kitty Boutique, etc. I need to get the desktop computer's FM antenna situated so the public radio station comes in clearly; that way, we can set up a recording for the show and listen to it at our leisure as an MP3.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6028225

Just an FYI...

Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do.

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a se! izure a nd died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it.'

Snopes.com verifies this information. See their write-up athttp://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called ' Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of th eobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!

Thumbnail by joycet

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6028254

Good Morning...

Gosh, I haven't heard Garrison Kellior/PHC for years. No radio reception here at the house, no car radio, and I haven't a clue how to get radio on the computer. I miss PBS radio stations... used to keep one on all the time, working around the house listening to classical music.

Speaking of classical music... Sunny's DH came and hooked up my ancient stereo system recently. The turntable doesn't work so I've been thinking about a new one with a USB port. I happened to be on eBay, looking at a replacement Bang & Olafsen turntable... anyway, mine has a new cartridge; I installed it, played a record about 30 seconds before realizing the belt drive was slipping. One cartridge (cartridge only) like mine was up to over $100 and 21 bids, with several days still to run. So... do I sell my cartridge and buy a cheap turntable with the $$, or invest in a replacement turntable that's better quality but no USB?

I have lots of obscure vinyl that never got put out as cd's... I'd still like to clean up scratches and whistles, putting some on cd's even if it means having 2 turntables. Anyone here an audiophile, with suggestions for me?

BBL...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6028386

I'm looking into USB turntables, too. I think the quality is better if you get a good old-style turntable and a separate box that lets you connect it to your computer via your amplifier, though. I'm pricing both out. We recently came across some classic Christian rock albums at Goodwill and I want to digitize them. It's cheaper to do that at 99-cents each than to buy the songs at 99-cents each -- if they're even available as MP3's.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 20, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6028387

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEE the kids are in school! We had a delay start and it was heck getting them to school...but blessed is the QUIET!! :)

That is sad about the dogs and the mulch...will pass this story on.

Do yall know where you can find a solar power heated pet bowl? I want to have some water for the birds...but cant find anything that doesnt have a plug.

I am scrapping up fives days worth of 'lazy' family junk all over the house. :) Glad to have my sanity back though.

Trying to catch up now.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6028456

Yeah my kids are gone to Heny LOL lets do the happy dance and enjoy the silence together ... aaahhh sweet silence.
Good afternoon
watching the inaguration
went to bank. went to mall walked around
went ate lunch at FIL
home now and doing laundry
oh i love them pics Bonnie !!! smooches to the pups from me
ttyl
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6028909

Well, I finally got the little tree undecorated, swaddled the ornaments in TP and nestled them in their tote. That little 4' tree took quite a while, so I'm glad we no longer have the 7' one!

Howie is out at the Jetta installing the AT speed sensor. We'll see if that solves its sticking transmission. Sometimes we'll get up into 40RPM+ and it still won't shift to the next gear. Crossing my fingers.

We learned today that a neighbor across the street no longer locks his SUV because it's been broken into so often. :/ He's had stereos stolen, too. The last thing someone stole was the dome light from his car. What's up with that?
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6028968

I spent the morning watching the inauguration too:
Loved President Obama's speech.
Our challenges may be new. The instruments with which we meet them may be new. But those values upon which our success depends - hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism - these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history. What is demanded then is a return to these truths. What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.

Loved Elisabeth Alexander's poem.
Some live by "Love thy neighbor as thy self."
Others by first do no harm, or take no more than you need.
What if the mightiest word is love, love beyond marital, filial, national. Love that casts a widening pool of light. Love with no need to preempt grievance.

Loved the benediction by Rev. Lowery.
"God of our weary years, God of our silent tears, thou who has brought us thus far along the way, thou who has by thy might led us into the light, keep us forever in the path, we pray, lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met thee, lest our hearts, drunk with the wine of the world, we forget thee. Shadowed beneath thy hand may we forever stand -- true to thee, O God, and true to our native land...

The dumbest thing said was a statement by Katie Couric, after Biden was sworn in and while Yo-Yo Ma along with the others performed "Air and Simple Gifts" she said that since Obama had not yet been sworn in and Biden had been, that VP Joe Biden was actually the President.
What the...???
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6029126

Katie Couric is a dunderhead. Don't forget she left her position on the Today Show to screw up CBS' evening news. That's a clue that she is not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

How about that Inaguration??? I can bearly keep my eyes away.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009

Post #6029173

It's a historic day, in many ways.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #6029289

it was good . i enjoyed the violins . Aretha. F was good too , love her.
Poor Katie .C she just ...well... nuff said LOL
The First Lady was lovely as usual and their kids are cutie pa tooties.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6029311

OK I need everybody to send me donations so I can buy that suit Michelle had on.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6029328

She looked cold ?
yes it was very beautiful all the gold glittery stuff , she looked wonderful . I will send you a check in the mail Toni LOLLL
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6029350

Gotta tell you...My Grandson Alex has announced he wants to marry Sasha. When he told me on the phone I just shook my head and said "Yes, you can."

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6029363

ROFLLLL that is tooo cute !
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6029382

I watched on Fox, so didn't see Katie.

Hey, Bonnie, any more puppy pictures?
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6029535

Hi everyone! Just to let you know...I got a VERY bad virus on my computer named Virus protection 2008. It wiped out my hard drive and my son had to take my computer home and redo everything...which...still isn't completely right! I cannot send email yet. I can receive...but not send. I am sure it's just a setting, but so far I haven't figured it out...and will have to wait until Saturday for him to get here again!
Anyway...I am gunshy about the internet now...but thought I would tell you all where I have been...IN FRONT OF THE TV!!!! LOL!!!
On my way to grandson's delayed Christmas program now...talk later!!!
Marcy

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #6029849

Oh Marcy that is too bad. I was wondering where you was
hope he fixes it soon
good night everyone
sue
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6029914

and how about Aretha's hat...?
Nobody can pull off a hat like that but Aretha Franklin ☺

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6029977

you got that right
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6030003

Queen Elizabeth could...You ever seen some of those Doozies she has worn???...LOL

Sheesh, I must be tired...

I survived two, 4 hour round trips for 1 patient today from home to the VA and back again, got the Wheelie washed as well as my hoist as they were coated with salt...I mopped the inside deck while the boys did the outside, then back to get my patient and take him home...Then another 2 1/2 hour round trip to Indiana and back, and finally fueled up and turned in paperwork and home...AND I have to leave here at 5:30 am again tomorrow... I may have to work at least one day this weekend...We have several out sick...and the rest of us are trying to take up the slack...Not what I had in mind...

Sleep tight, and have a great day tomorrow...

This message was edited Jan 20, 2009 8:41 PM
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6030376

Yeah you can send me Aretha's hat right along with Michelle's dress. Pack them in the same box as the dress she has on at the balls.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6030430

Good evening folks, I have just about overdosed on the tv today. I kept switching from network to network so that I could see the vantage points, etc. Missed Katie's duh.

I did laundry and just hung out in the den most of the day. DMIL is back in the hospital, and when DH got home this morning, non stop phone calls. He had an errand to do this afternoon, and I turned the danged contraption off.

Kimberly, DGD will be here this weekend, and with her help, I will get more pictures. I just can't handle all 9 without another pair of hands, and it could take more than that. Any volunteers to come help with the pic taking.

Marcy, I am glad that you checked in. I was wondering about you. Glad it was a sick computer rather than you. Hope it all eventually gets sorted out.

Dusty, wow that was some road trip today. At least maybe the road conditions were decent. It snowed off and on all day here, but not much more accumulation.

Giving a big ~~~, cause if I start naming people, I always leave somebody out, and then I feel like a heel.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #6030637

Hey, Gang!
I watched MSNBC, so I missed Couric's comment, but they said that even if the president-elect isn't formally sworn in by noon, he becomes the president at noon by default.
I always wondered how they managed the moving process-- getting one family out in time & another family moved in on what must be a horrendously tiring day.
I loved the view of the hundreds of thousands of people all the way from the Capitol up to the people sitting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. I have 2 friends who are there--- needless to say, I didn't see them!
I LOVED Aretha (and her hat), the quartet (the clarinet guy used to play for the Cinti Symphony Orchestra), the poet, and Rev. Lowery. Didn't think too much of Ric Warren, but that's just my taste in pray-ers!
And now, for something completely different-- thank you, Monty Python-- do the Cincinnati gardeners know that Funke's is going out of business and is selling off lots of stuff? If you need any fertilizers or deer deterrents, it looks like a pretty good deal. He's got garden ornaments & chimes & lots of other things that I'm not in need of. He's open Fri & Sat right now. Check the website for hours or call ahead if you're going to make sure there's someone there.
I'm trying to learn primitive rug-hooking-- without much luck. I may have to go back to just needlepoint & punchneedle.
Everybody stay warm & take care!
Pat
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #6030689

I liked Ric Warren. Different strokes, I reckon. Oh, but wasn't Yo-Yo Ma just radiating joy? I love to see him play. He so obviously loves what he does...Such a treat to see someone with that passion and happiness.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6031398

That whole quartet was absolutely awesome. I will say that I am actually tired of hearing the song "At Last". I have heard that enough for 4 years.

Dang I wish I could hit that garden store that's going out of business.

Gonna run to the store and hope they still have a Plain Dealer left.

Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 21, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6031944

CAN NOT believe it another snow day...grrrrr! I just left the kids asleep. I must wake them soon or they will never sleep tonight. But seriously someone turn off the snow! :)

Okay back to paying bills, folding clothes and cleaning.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6032199

Yay! I got the Plain Dealer, New York Times and USA Today from all places CVS Pharmacy LOL.

If any of you have an extra Cinci or Columbus paper please send it to your African American family member up north! Much appreciated.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6032721

Hey all! Thanks for the welcome back!
Things still are 'iffy' on here...didn't have internet a while ago? Don't know what that was about???? I rebooted the puter...and then it was ok??? Weird!
Bonnie...those puppies are adorable!! I just love puppies!! However...my Mandy cat wouldn't! She is the WHOLE cheese here...and the ONLY cheese!!
Wow Heather...you had MORE snow today??? I feel for you...but please...don't send it our way! I am so tired of 'white'!
LOL Dusty...on the queen! She gets some good ones, doesn't she? On Aretha ...they look good! On the queen...wellllll!!
Well I went back and read everything...but since I don't remember things so well...I'm not gonna comment, after being gone for a while.
I was thinking of you all though!
And like you Bonnie...I am overdosed on TV! In fact...I am overdosed on WINTER!! Where is SPRING?????
The kids' program last night was great as usual. Although it seemed a little strange to have Christmas again! But they had a surprise visit from Santa...and I wish you could have seen their little eyes!! They were in AWE!!! He came right up the center isle of the church..(they were on the stage). Before he came in though, you could hear him saying HO HO HO at the top of his lungs out in the vestibule. I hope I got a picture of it!
Then he had a little gift bag for each child in his big bag...and some took pictures with him after..sitting on his lap. But they absolutely couldn't take their eyes off him!! I loved it!!
We then had cookies and punch in the basement of the church...and got home in time to see American Idol...or most of it.
Ok...back to cleaning now!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6033455

Hey Kimberly... I'm thinking you might be right about having a good, old turntable and a box to connect to the computer. The cartridge like mine I was watching on eBay went for over $162.00... and I think all my turntable needs is a new belt, or adjustment...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6033748

Hey gang
to tired to realy talk today
i m wiped out and did not much today
just hormones i guess. ? i just want to sleep but got tons of stuff to do today . So i went about my day in a sleep daze LOL
glad to see everyone is going good
gonna go before i fall asleep on comp
oh T calls at 8 pm sheesh
good night
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6034118

Looks like you all got better looking! Oh wait it's the new monitor... lol!

I had the inauguration taped and we just got thru it all.
Very stirring! Great speech!
I personally loved the poem too... but that's my type of poetry.
I played Cello thru to college...Yo-Yo Ma is arguably the best ever... certainly the best personality.
He and Izaak Perlman are definitely a force of nature when they get together!
I wish there had been a camera on W's face during the speech... he got slammed...

Plants are starting to poke thru out back... Spring is just around the corner!

Ric

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6034212

Ric, I'm glad you taped the day... maybe I'll get to watch it when I come to visit your area again. I somehow never got the TV even turned on here... what was I thinking? LOL.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6034333

Evening folks, it was grocery/errand day today, and I was gone most of the day. Thought I had lost a credit card, and searched my whole wallet, and purse, (a good way to get a purse cleaned out). Tried to remember when I had last used it, and knew that it had to be in another coat pocket. Just as soon as I got home, searched that pocket, and it was there. I was not looking forward to cancelling it and having another issued. On that note, I got a call yesterday, that someone had tried to use another credit card, and the company caught it, and cancelled it, and are issueing a new card. They are on the ball. Gotta send a thank you to VISA.

Ric if you got things coming up, you better get them some little sweaters, they are gonna get cold. Our winter is not half way over. Wish I could say otherwise, but that is the truth.

Sue hope you sleep well tonight, and not have to walk around in a daze again tomorrow.

Marcy, was the Children's Christmas program cancelled because of weather? If not what is it doing so late? I bet they were all excited. Ah, the innocence.

Henny, I know that no school is NOT a treat for you as it is for the kids. You have my sympathy.

Chele, gosh you are keeping busy with the website for you neighbor. I hope it is generating a little extra cash. That might not be a bad side line for you to pursue.

Okay, off to watch Ky basketball.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6034649

Here's a fun link... Click on it, then what state you are from, then the county... and see old penny postcards from back when...
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~usgenweb/special/ppcs/ppcs.html

Can you tell I'm bored?? LOL
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
4:50 AM

Post #6034882

OK, guys, one of my distant relatives sent me this via e-mail, and it's been absolutely driving me NUTS! I can get 29 out of 30. Anybody want to try?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

30 books of the Bible in this paragraph

This is a most remarkable puzzle. It was found by a gentleman in an airplane seat pocket on a flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu, keeping him occupied for hours. He enjoyed it so much that he passed it on to some friends. One friend from Illinois worked on this while fishing from his john boat.

Another friend studied it while playing his banjo, Elaine Taylor, a columnist friend, was so intrigued by it, she mentioned it in her weekly newspaper column. Another friend judges the job of solving this puzzle so involving, she brews a cup of tea to help her nerves. There will be some names that are really easy to spot. That's a fact. Some people, however, will soon find themselves in a jam, especially since the book names are not necessarily capitalized. Truthfully, from answers we get, we are forced to admit it usually takes a minister or a scholar to see some of them at the worst. Research has shown that something in our genes is responsible for the difficulty we have in seeing the books in this paragraph.

During a recent fund raising event, which featured this puzzle, the Alpha Delta Phi lemonade booth set a new record. The local paper, The Chronicle, surveyed over 200 patrons who reported that this puzzle was one of most difficult they had ever seen. As Daniel Humana humbly puts it, "The books are all right here in plain view hidden from sight." Those able to find all of them will hear great lamentations from those who have to be shown. One revelation that may help is that books like Timothy and Samuel may occur without their numbers. Also, keep in mind, that punctuation and spaces in the middle are normal. A chipper attitude will help you compete really well against those who claim to know the answers.

Remember, there is no need for a mad exodus, there really are 30 books of the Bible lurking somewhere in this paragraph waiting to be found.

Have a great time finding the 30 books of the Bible!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Help me out on this one!
Pat

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #6034939

Just a quick hello and goodnight. I've been on the run since this morning, first at work, then home to go to dinner with Howie, finally to see Keillor's show. It was great, I'm pooped. My grammar's atrocious tonight, but ah well. :)
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6035316

Pat I can help ya with it if ya want the answer...it is probably gonna make ya mad.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6035446

Hint: Osee is a variant spelling of Hosea.

Does that help ya?

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6035695

banjo, Elaine

I thought I was good when I found this one... never did locate Psalms.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6035762

Psalms wasnt in it...there are 66 books in the Bible but only 30 appeared in the puzzle.
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6035938

I did the puzzle assuming it was using the Protestant Bible and Books...so my comment on the 66 books is that same assumption. Osee is the name of the book Hosea but Osee comes from the Catholic Bible not Protestant. So I suppose you would need to know that...but using the word minister really throws ya off. :)
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6036863

Actually, here's my list of the ones I found (in no particular order): Amos, John, Joel, Judges, Job, Hebrews, James, Genesis, Philemon, Chronicles, Lamentation, Timothy,
Samuel, Revelation, Numbers, Exodus, Kings, Luke, Mark, Acts, Daniel, Titus, Hosea, Peter, Nahum, Ruth, Esther, Romans, Malachi.

You know what, I'm going to start a separate thread on this one (still in ORVG) so people with dial-up connections don't hate me!

Pat

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6036890

Okay, I see that you don't have this one...so number 30 is...drum roll please

theM AT THE Worst Matthew
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6036934

Thank you, Joyce! I was about to start climbing the walls, & ususally I wait until mid-February to do that!

If anybody wants to see the whole thing with all 30 highlighted, send me a D-Mail.

Phew!
Pat
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6037551

That was fun though...sorry if others werent having so much fun. I printed it off for hubby. He is a preacher and works a secular job as well...but curious if he can find them all. :)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #6038001

Hey, y'all. Pat, are you going to start a new thread? I don't want to post here if you're going to. I'm going to send that puzzle to my mom. I know she'll enjoy that one, too!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #6038109

Hey Gang
Busy day
dr apt
then the mall
then get meds
then get kids
then homework
then cleaning
then dinner
then cleaning again
then rest LOL who am i kidding
got up to 40 here and it felt goooood
sunny too
Heny i m sorry about your snow day :( i know your pain girl. :)
Neat puzzle but i didn't do it , i must admit i don't have the smarts for them things. LOL but i enjoyed waching you guys do it.
not much here
I hope Marcy is doing ok with her comp ? i hope she got the virus taken care of.
Bonnie glad you found your visa. That sucks when one is stollen and what grief you go through . Ugh Glad you found it.
Hi Cookie and everyone else
big ~~~~~ to you all
hugs
sue

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6038500

Good evening everyone!
Yes Sue...the computer seems to be working fine now. My son got rid of the virus...and called me on the phone and walked me through the settings for the email...so that is fixed as well.
My younger brother who is a computer engineer...said he always runs three things ...at the same time for virus protection...spybot, malawarebytes, and McAfee...and still gets a virus now and then. I guess no one virus protection can prevent them all...and if you are on the internet, you always have the chance of a virus. My son said there were 30 new viruses last week!
Bonnie...yes...the kids' program was cancelled because of bad weather before Christmas. Then...they were off school so many times after Christmas...so they finally found a time to have it!
Was nice to have some warmer weather today! I saw it was up to 45 degrees in Greenville as I came by one of the banks there. A heat wave!!!! And the sun was glorious!! We needed it!
I did my shopping today...because it was nice out.
Oh...and I wanted to tell you something weird. That pilot that saved all those lives when that plane went down in the Hudson river? Well...that was flight 1549...which is our house number. And...my neighbor's maiden name was Sullenburger! How strange is that????
In New Paris...a small town just to the south of us...there is a snow tubing hill. Don't know how high it is...but it's high! You can drive by and watch the people coming down the hill on those big inner tubes...fast!! My little granddaughter went last Saturday with her BFF. She had a ball!!! Said she loved it!! It does look like fun...for kids!!! LOL!!
Also..I guess they have different levels on the hill...so you don't have to do the very highest one. And she didn't...lol!
Well...the catalogs are coming in...yayyyyy!!! I just love drooling over them!! Already see a bunch of things I want!!! Dream on...!!!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6038574

Here's the complete solution to the Bible puzzle, from the original source:

http://www.konig.org/wc174.htm

++++++++++++++++
My problem, when I was staring at that paragraph, was overthinking: trying to remember which Biblical personage got his or her own book (as opposed to cameo appearances in a book by someone else's name), or wanting Jonah & Jeremiah & Isaiah to be in there (even tho I have no idea how they could have fit Isaiah in), or forgetting whether a book was in the Old Testament or the Apocrypha (Judith, anyone? Tobit? Wisdom?). I'm glad I did it, glad Joyce came up with number 30 for me, and glad to be done with it!

I was really a bit embarrassed by not remembering which book went where-- my church has a set of daily readings in a two year cycle, but now I read it on the net!

Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
3:23 AM

Post #6038848

Pat, I had seen that puzzle some time ago, that wasn't why I didn't comment, it was because I have been snowed under a pile of paper today. Finally worked my way through it.

Sue, what was the Dr appointment for? Okay, I don't have to know, just being nosey, I guess.

Marcy, oh the innocence of children, didn't make any difference to them that Christmas was weeks ago, just the thought of seeing Santa again. Gotta love that attitude. Glad the computer seems to be working okay. DGD is bringing her's down this weekend when she comes, and I am going to take a look at it, and see if I can help her with it. I think it is a virus, but we will see. I am not a computer guru, so not sure if I can help or not.

Heney, what denomination does your DH preach in? There are a lot of pastors around here who have a secular job and preach, guess some of the smaller churches can't pay a living wage. So that makes you a Preacher's wife!! How does being under the microscope feel?

I'm off to check my e-mail, and hope for an early bedtime.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
5:07 AM

Post #6039167

Just popping in to say Happy Birthday, Marcy! And thanks for mentioning that Malwarebytes spyware remover--I downloaded it and am running it now.
--Renee
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #6039170

Happy Birthday Marcy. Now with that momentous task performed, I am off to bed.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
8:59 AM

Post #6039417

Have a wonderful Birthday Marcy! Pick out something fun from one of those new catalogs and treat yourself!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2009
9:28 AM

Post #6039436

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARCY!!!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #6039621

Happy Birthday Marcy, I hope you have a wonderful day... and remember your birthday isn't over until you get cake.
It could last weeks!!

Dove
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6039693

Happy birthday, Marcy! Whatever your odometer said before, I think you've rolled it back with your knee replacements. :)
Henygirl
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6039706

Happy Birthday Marcy!!!

Yes I am a preacher's wife. He is ordained as a Southern Baptist...which there arent too many of those type churches around here. :) He was called to the ministry while we were engaged and has filled several different positions at church. Basically he always knew he would work somewhere else and fill the positions where churches were just too small to afford a living wage. I guess I like being 'in a fish bowl'...I am too talkative and honest to try and be something I am not so it works out pretty well. :)

We have been visiting a United Methodist Church here.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6040186

Heny, I am a United Methodist, have been all my life. We are very involved in our church, and DH supports a nondenominational church that has services 2 times a month in the afternoons. He has family connections to it. I go with him ocassionally, but usually decide to have a nap, instead. The preacher isn't very inspiring.

Another bout of paper work today, then DGD will be coming this afternoon, and has requested spaghetti and meatballs for supper. Not a really had thing to do.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6040238

Count me in as a UM person too, although I was EUB before becoming UM.

Happy birthday to you♫Happy birthday to you♫Happy birthday dear Marcy♫Happy birthday to you♫♫♫♫♥♥♥ Hope you have a wonderful day. Here is a ZD for you.

Thumbnail by joycet

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6040531

Happy Birthday, Marcy! I've been sitting here staring at this screen with an empty brain (me, not the screen), trying to think of something clever to say... but the bottom line is just big wishes for a lovely day...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6040562

Happy Birthday Marcy!

Not much going on here. Thinking about packing the diaper bag rather than leave it for the last moment.

Toni mailed me four hysterical onesies that arrived yesterday. Thanks again Aunt Toni!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #6040804

Wow! Thanks everyone! I had something typed earlier, and it disappeared. Then I had to go fix lunch as Dave had to go to work...so just now getting back!
Now I can tell you all what DH got me for my birthday!! It's one of those tractor seat scoot-a-long thingies!! It's already here and he put it together! I have been riding it all over the house...lol!! It steers, has an adjustable seat, and places for plants and seeds and tools! I LOVE IT!! I will have to get a pic of it to show you...although I'm sure most of you have seen them in the catalogs.
Well...come on over for a birthday party tonight! My kids, (except DD) will be here...and BIL's and SIL's too.
I am making a coconut cake (my fav)...that has cream of coconut, condensed milk, and cool whip in it and on it. Woohoo!!! Then I am also making a yellow cake that is low sugar for the rest of the folks...LOL!!!!
I also bought Breyer's ice cream...two kinds! Now...normally I don't eat ice cream...but bought one that is black raspberry and chocolate chunk...and one that is vanilla bean...low sugar and fat. Hey!! It's MY birthday...why not???
Actually, I will eat just a bit of everything and let Dave finish what is left. And will most likely send the ice cream home with youngest son. He is an ice cream fanatic.
So there is plenty for everyone...come on up...over...or down!
Thanks Dusty for the brug picture. That is a beauty! And thanks Joyce, for the ZD rose. I look out at my arbor every morning...hoping to see blooms...but darn! Guess I have to wait a while yet!!
Hey Kimberley, I think I did roll back the odometer! These knees are MUCH better than my old ones!!! And getting better all the time. I am straighter, taller, and walk much faster now!! Oh...and you all don't want to know what my odometer says...it would scare you to death!! LOL!!
Chele...get that bag packed!!! Hope you are feeling well????
Neal...I haven't forgotten your seeds...just been plain lazy! But I WILL get some in the mail SOON!! And as I said above, Neal, you can see I DID order something nice from the catalog!!! And will order more too!
Dove...thanks...I WILL have cake!!
Thanks Bonnie and Heather too! UM here too! Well actually, was raised in the E & R church...which joined with EUB...so...all the same.
Renee', glad I could be of help! And thanks!! Going to talk to DS about that too!
Well...this isn;t getting cakes made...so I best get busy here!
Have a great day all!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #6040828

P.S. check out this link...something everyone should see and listen to!

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/publish/video/755315/woman_has_worm_in_brain

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6040864

Ewwwwww!!!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6040875

OMG, that's scary!

Marcy, I'm glad you didn't forget about the seeds, because I did, LOL.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6040893

Aaaaagh!

"It could be a fluke..." That made me laugh. No, doc, it's not a fluke worm...
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6040933

Yow! Can you imagine?
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6041023

Marcy -- Happy Birthday!!!

What's your official opinion... are you glad you did both knees at one time?

Ok, off to work! My car's rattling something awful! I have boxes of dishes in there from people of work to take to Dusty tomorrow for the Veterans and the rattle of them is driving me NUTS! another person said they are bringing another box today! I'll have to turn up the music tomorrow to cover the noise! Can't wait to see Joycet if Dusty cannot make it!

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6041087

Kimberly, the fluke comment made me laugh too. I kept thinking "brain flukes" LOL.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6041245

Hey Darius...I forgot to say thank you to YOU!!!! LOL...ya know...when ya get so old...you can only remember so much at one time!!! Sorry bout that.
Thanks Jules! My official opinion isssssssssssss... NEVER would I have gone back for the second one! Yess...most definitely...glad I did both at the same time!! It wasn't fun...and I won't say it was. It was miserable in fact. But...it's over...and I'm better...and I'm glad I did it. They are really better than my old knees were. So who knows how long my knees had been bad?????
Yeah...wasn't that worm thing the pitts???? YUK!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #6041415

Happy Birthday, Marcy! Glad you are doing so much better!

Hello, Everyone Else! :)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6041427

Thanks MsRobin! Nice to see you posting! Hope things are well with you! Well guess I better go frost the cakes! They should be cool by now.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6041868

I'm glad you're having a good day Marcy..

My day started out okay and then after lunch in about 3 minutes my day turned to $**T!! I lost my job today. "economy" doing away with position, blah, blah blah...only good thing is...Spring is coming and I have a new garden!!!!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6042112

Oh, Joyce, I am so sorry to hear your news. Will you be looking for another one, or can you retire? I know that you aren't old enough for SS, but is there any kind of retirement at your former place of employment? ((hugs)) to you.

Folks, I think the economy is just now beginning to affect the middle class. The poor have know it stinks for a good while. I keep telling my DS, that they have to tighten their belts, only necessary trips, pinch the pennies, and trim all the extras, and let me tell you they don't have many extras. I am going to encourage them to help with the garden, and can some stuff to help with the food costs.

I had another paper work day, and I really think I am through with it for awhile. If not, it will just have to wait, cause I don't think I can do another day, after these past 2.

~~~~ at everybody, will probably be back later.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6042202

Cookie so sorry about the job loss.
Big EWWWW on the worm. i think i will be a vegatarian !!! I eat my meat very rare ? yikes.
A fluke ? yeah the way this industrial big boys make way of eating, has created mass meat production Hmmm one has to wonder . How does a little worm escape the system ?
off my soap box :)
not much here
Bonnie dr was a girl thing, nothing really important. I am thinking of seeing a breast surgeon and getting a reduction. I just can't take the DDD anymore. To painful and my back ,neck and other areas are all twisted . Honestly they just hang there doing nothing but get in my way . LOLLL
Happy B-Day Marcy !!! glad your virus is gone . Lucky you have sons who can help out in that dept.
big ~~~~
ttyl
sue
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6042261

Dang it Cookie. So sorry to hear that. Obama has got to turn this mess around.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6042298

Sue...thanks!!
Oh Joyce...I'm so sorry to hear that about the job!
Had a few minutes before company comes...but oldest son just came in...so better end this. Talk later.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6042317

Oh Oh forgot to serenade Marcy...

(In the worst Stevie Wonder impersonation in the state)

Happy Birthday to you - Happy Birthday to you - Happy Birthdayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Toni/Oprah
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6042357

(((((Joyce))))) I am so sorry! Do you get some time? Surely you get unemployment!?!

Happy Birthday, Marcy! I happen to have some Breyer's natural vanilla, so I'll eat some to celebrate your b'day, too--- lol-- happy to make the sacrifice for you... but next time, if you have the chance, try the Graeter's raspberry chip. It makes everything else taste like used dishwater.

For the history & genealogy buffs, here's a fun site:
http://www.familyhistory101.com/maps/oh_cf.html
It's an animated map of the formation of the state of Ohio--- it's more fun than it sounds! This site also has animated maps for the formation of the US overall & for all states. It's a good illustration of whay you have to search every blessed county even if you think you know where your family started out. GRRR!

Speaking of territory-- this is a pretty Methodist list! I grew up in the Presby church, & sang in a Greek Orthodox choir & went to Quaker meetings before I joined the Episcopal church. All my grandparents had gone to different protestant churches-- Church of Christ, Disciples of Christ, EUB, & Baptist. I'm like my own ecumenical movement! But, Bonnie, I'm with you: I appreciate a good sermon.

I'm hungry for fish tonight, so I'm popping out to see what Kroger's has. See y'all later.
Pat
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6042365

GRRRR--- here's the proper link:

http://www.familyhistory101.com/maps/oh_cf.html

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6042465

{{{{{Cookie}}}}}... sigh. Did you have a clue it was coming?

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6042479

Thanks all...I get my carryover vacation plus one day for 2009. Then I get 3 weeks separation pay then I'll be able to draw unemployment. So that's what it looks like for a while. Bill doesn't want me to look for another job just yet, so I won't.

We have a 3 day cruise in 2 weeks. Already paid for so we will still go. 20/20 hindsight...sigh...

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6042496

Thanks Darius...yes, I pretty much saw the writing on the wall. In September they hired a part time kid who had an accounting degree. They gave him half my workload and he's been working with the accountant that trained me since then. He's part time so he doesn't earn much vacation (I had 3 wks) and I'm sure he is making about half of what I did, plus they don't have to pay his insurance. They let one guy go from Service, one guy from sales, and I kept saying to my co-workers, admin is going to have to give up someone and it isn't going to be the part-timer!! I was right.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6043182

First off

HAPPY Birthday Gran knee!!!
Your Yellow Hibiscus threw it's first flower today!!
It and the not red one...lol!... went dormant almost immediately upon entering the shop.
The Red one bloomed it's fool head off until just before Christmas...
I'll get some shots soon.

((((Cookie!))))
Is the guy hired to take your job younger?
Need some HR advice I think.

It was amazing here today 57 and Sunny!

Our company picked up the contract for the Wind Generator Gear Box rebuilds from FL Power.
(we were one of the first companies involved in that... we were killed by Enron...)
3 will be in any day now. So our plant will finally be busy.
Our HVO (high volume operations) group has gone to 12 hour days 7 days a week.
(11.5 paid w/ lunch)
Two shifts 7A to 7P and vice versa. 4 teams
Sound horrible?
Well teams AB are 2 days on 3 off 2 on... then 2 off 3 on 2 off repeating.
Teams CD are on when they are off...

W/ 3 weeks vacation... + 2 personal days
taking the first 2 on after the 3 off as vacation days you can get 8 weeks vacation...
and still have one day left. Sweet!

We're still shooting for 4 10's here.

Ric

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #6043262

It got up to 52 here today... 31 now, and supposed to drop into the low 20's here tonight, high tomorrow still in the 20's again...

I got home about 6pm after stopping here by the house to have a borrowed Wheelie washed that was filthy inside and out...Dispatch called me just as I was leaving the truckwash...I am working Sunday for sure, and most likely later tomorrow...but, they needed the Wheelie I'm using back tonight, because it has to go out first thing in the morning... so they have a car for me to use tomorrow then I swap out back into the borrowed Wheelie on Sunday AM, and then swap out back for the car to do 2 airport runs on Sunday afternoon, and I'm thankfully off on Monday...
My day started out terrific at 5:30 this morning in Springfield...My Battery discharge light came on and flickered about 25 mins from my patient... by the time I got 15 mins away, it came on and stayed on...I stopped and checked all the belts to be sure I hadn't lost one, and they were all there and tight...Battery is new and no corrosion...When it shut down in the drive to the nursing home, I knew what it was...My alternator let go, and they have a built in voltage regulator...

My patient was an hour late for dialysis, with another driver coming to get the both of us and then dropping me at the barn to get the other Wheelie, and my Wheelie on the back of a tow truck... :-((
Ran my hinnie off the rest of the day, and then come home to see the news about Cookie...
This just makes me absolutely sick...

NOW I know why Creator brought me back down here from Urbana... ;-))

Rest well all .. Marcy I hope you had a wonderful Birthday...Huggs!!!

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6043272

Well, I am trying to check each thread that I follow, and hoping that I can get in bed earlier tonight. DGD came tonight, ate supper, talked on the phone, then asked if she could go spend the night with her friend who lives here. Ah, preteens!

DH has the night off, DMIL was released from the hospital today, and one of his sisters is taking tonight, plus the Hospice nurse is there. So he is enjoying watching tv and his beloved sports. I finished a book earlier, and rather than start another, decided that I would wrap things up early and get into bed.

Tomorrow DGD is gonna help me with puppy picture taking. We are gonna try to get all 9 in the same picture, the first one since right after they were born. I put an ad in the paper today, and hope that we can find good forever homes for all of them. They will be ready to leave in about 2 weeks.

Marcy, I didn't look at your link, but gather it is something gross that would probably put me off my food for awhile. Thank you very much, what I don't know probably will hurt me, but I like my head stuck in the sand!! Hope you have a good get together tonight.

Joyce, so where are you going on your cruise? At least this is paid for, and you can enjoy it, then start to worry about your jobless situation later.

~~~ goodnight to everybody.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6043405

Thanks Toni and Oprah!! And thank YOU Ric...lol!!! That red hibiscus will be blooming again soon...you will see. Can't wait to see pictures!!
Pat...thank you!! Hope you got your fish!
We had pizza for supper!! Now...if you only knew how rare that was!!! We hardly EVER eat pizza!! Dave doesn't care much for it...but I decided I was hungry for it. So I bought one...and it was GOOD!!! LOL...I even had a can of coke...diet, caffene free...to go with it...something else we don't do...drink pop.
Everyone came tonight and feasted on cake and ice cream. I sent cake home with the boys...but not ice cream. Jim didn't like the kind I had!! Oh well.
Anyway...I feel...STUFFED!!! All that bad stuff!!!! My arteries will never be the same!!
So that's over for another year...whew!!! It was fun...but I'm done!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6043554

Marcy it's full of buds in fact all the Hibiscus are... it's funny to see bare sticks w/ buds on two of them.
The Mexican Petunia is about a foot taller than when we picked it up.
As are the Brugs... two of them may just start budding here in a few weeks.
They love these big windows.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
5:01 AM

Post #6043636

I can't believe it's midnight and the temp is STILL in the mid 40's! Of course, not supposed to be that warm tomorrow...

g'night..,
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #6044073

Goodmorning, All! Oh, my, we are getting so close to spring! Gotta love it!

Joyce, so sorry to hear that about your job. You're right...all the signs were there, that this was coming. At least you got some severence pay! Just enjoy this next couple of weeks off, get registered right away for unemployment, go on your cruise and enjoy yourself! Like Bonnie said, it's already paid for, so don't "fret" over it.

I think we're changing the big plans we had for the market garden at home for the summer...just postponing it till next year, I hope. I've got the opportunity to go to work out here with Al in a few weeks. We could possibly stay here as long as July or August and I feel like I'd be a fool to pass up the chance to make this money. It'd be much more than what I could make on the market garden and would get us so much closer to being debt free.

Hope everyone has a nice and relaxing weekend!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6044092

Sue, has your Dr documented the back and neck problems? Sometimes insurance will pay for breast reduction in cases like that, but they do try to get out of it if its also considered cosmetic. A friend of mine has terrible varicose vein issues, they burn and are painful when she's on her feet, which is all the time. Her insurance keeps fighting saying its cosmetic! She said her legs have looked terrible for years because of them, but now they hurt so she wants something done.

If it works out, if you're anything like another friend of mine who had her "girls" taken from a DD to B, you'll be so glad you did. She has a small frame and developed a badly curved spine from them. She also said its nice that men look at her face when they're talking now, LOL.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6044104

(((((Joyce))))) I'm so sorry. Since you're not going on the job hunt just yet, hopefully the extra time in the new garden will be just the "food for the soul" you need. Wanna wintersow some seeds? I can send ya some!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6044300

Snow flurrying all morning here, how's going going for the rest of you?

Joyce above all else enjoy your cruise, don't let this ruin an otherwise fabulous holiday.
(hugs)
Dove

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6044411

Ric that is great news on your company. My bro did the training for the trainers who taught the guys who fixed the wind turbines. He is a professianal Mt Climber and they use ropes and stuff to repair them . The company went under :( so he builds cabinets with a friend .
Neal no documentation yet. She said she would for me. Oh a B cup would B nice LOL :). Your friend with those veins sound awful the poor thing. The emotional part of it all is the worst . I just want to be able to bounce and run and not get black eyesor hurt the person next to me LOL :P
msrobin that job sounds like a good idea , Way to go on getting out of debt too. That is our goal too. Just a mortgage and that is it. We just need to sell our 5th wheel and we are good. :) i hate that thing grrrrr.
TTYL
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6044458

Sun is out bright, 23* and very light sparkly floaties in the air...I don't think it is going to do much...Gotta refill my feeders and hope I don't get called out to do pick ups today...
Passport is now paying for people to have non-emergency transport to banks, grocery, beauty salons, church etc...
My one in the Wheelie in the morning is to take a lady to church...Then I have 2 airport runs...
Sheila was desperate for tomorrow, so I agreed..but I told her I cannot make a habit of it...A. I need the rest...B. My house needs attention...
C. I have to watch my income with my Soc Sec...

Jules will soon be on her way down here with a load for my Vets... Thankfully Cookie is next door, and can take the things for me if I have to leave...

I wish I could do some wintersowing Neal...but with everything else going on around here, I am just not going to have the time to keep up with it...
I have a wonderful garden space over here, but it will be modest this year as I try to get the house gardens and pond and everything else in order, and we have some building things to do to the house...The old back metal patio cover is coming down, and the front porch is getting a refurb...
I got 2 new coach lamps from Habitat Thursday for $3 to put out there...and I am watching for 2 more to put on either side of the garage door...

Well I better get cracking around here...I need groceries among other things...need to vacuum and dust and clean the kitchen...etc..all the old every weekend chores I always have...LOL

Marcy.. Glad you had a good time and good food!!! LOL

You all have a good day!!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6044845

Good morning everyone. Well the sun is out, and that's a good thing! Man..it sure is cold though!!! BRRRRR.!!
Thanks to everyone..in case I missed someone...lol...for all the nice BD wishes yesterday! I really appreciated them! And I am glad it's over for another year! I told Dave he could eat the rest of the cake...I felt like I ate a cow last night.!! I mean...pizza, cake...ice cream!! All on the same day!!!
MsRobin...I say go for the money!! I don't blame you a bit!
Haven't seen any snow flurries here yet, Dovey...but I'm sure it will happen!! A lot of our snow DID melt yesterday though. Can actually see some green grass now!
We have been seeing LOTS of deer! Guess maybe they are hungry...with all the snow...they are looking for food.
Well...Dave wants to head toward Muncie today. Seems BIL told him about an old truck he saw for sale along the way...so he wants to go look at it. Don't even ask me why!
I will go along for the ride...and just to be able to get out of the house for a while before another big snow hits.
We have to stop at the store in town to get a phone number too. A guy who sells wood.
We are out of the good burning stuff...and have this big amount of old stuff. So old it won't even burn! Need some good to burn with it.
I have really gotten used to a nice fire in the woodstove!
So you all have a great day...and enjoy it!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6045063

Good morning everyone. Cold as all get out up here. Nothing going on.

MsRob make the money. That's what I would do.

Chelle, I am still looking for the stuff you asked me about. They didn't have anything I would buy you at Sally's so I am gonna hit up TJ Max and Marshall's today. I am on my mission.

Cookie, hang in there Girlfriend. Enjoy your cruise.

Bonnie got the pics yet?

Hey you Sue, I dreamed about you. I dreamed T got on your nerves and you hopped in your car and came up here and said you just wanted to sit in my yard for a while so we barbequed turkey burgers and sat under the umbrella in the yard on a blanket and listened to Sly Stone music and looked at pictures. For some reason I found that very theraputic LOL Wonder what that dream meant...?

Well gonna go turn into a human and hit the shops in a few.

Talk later.

Toni

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6045198

LOL!! Save a place for me!!!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #6045220

got to watch this !!!!
dog ,cat and a rat
http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?swf=http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/cps-vfl74240.swf&video_id=D
i hope i did the link right
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6045229

i don't think its working ?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6045232

maybe this ?
http://www.youtube.com/v/D85yrIgA4Nk

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6045233

ha it worked
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6045244

Shoot, Joyce, I just read your news. You enjoy that cruise and relax. You've got Dusty and Jim right there, so maybe y'all can go together on bulk purchases and save on groceries.

Sue, here's a link that will work. That's wild!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D85yrIgA4Nk

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6045257

isn't that to cute ! i love it
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009

Post #6045432

Dr's orders, take one every 4 hours.

Thumbnail by defoecat

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6045466

that is to cute !!!! Bonnie. :)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6045534

TAYNOR SUE !!!!! Pay Attention!!!!!

ONE of those Freckle Nose Lil Girls has YOUR NAME on its collar!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6045546

don't temp me woman !!!!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6045573

That is NOT a TEMPT...That's an ORDER!!!!!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6045619

Oh soooo sweet...nothing like puppies to cheer your day. :-)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6045700

They are soooo cute! I've found the best time to photograph puppies is after they've eaten. They get sleepy with their full bellies. Heeheehee. Oh, they are SO cute. Howie wants to get a puppy when we do get a dog, but not until our finances are in better shape (assuming they will be - there's a leap of faith!). These little guys and girls will be older by then. *sigh*
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #6045757

Awh, what cuties they are, Bonnie!

Appreciate the voices of reason! I was really excited about doing the CSA this spring and DH was only going to be here till early May, so it sounded like it was perfect timing. But, we both like it here, this is the first job in 5 years or so where DH is happy and there's no stress on the job, the company has great benefits and takes good care of their employees, looks like we might be able to stay till June or July and we have a few friends here. He told me I could go back home as planned in April, but we're miserable apart and with the economy the way it is and having this opportunity...well, like I said, it would be foolish on my part to pass it up. We've come to learn since we've been together, that we don't need or want as much as we thought we use to need or want. But security is important and by me going to work on this job, we could be so much better off.

Sue, you WILL feel so much better after the reduction! Wish we had your 5th wheel. Most of these jobs are in little towns and it's so much easier to find a RV spot than a house or apartment that will allow dogs. If there's any big construction jobs near you or campgrounds, you might put up notices there.

George, Sharran wrote an article a few days ago about making Christmas ornaments out of seed catalog pictures and lightbulbs that was pretty cool. There was a Victorian one that was beautiful!

Dusty, sure seems like you're working as much as you did before you applied for SS...what's up with that? Didn't you say awhile back that you ran across some great deals on wood stoves from time to time?

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but you all are in my thoughts! My head has been in a fog, since I came down with a cold or virus a few days.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6045787

Bonnie does a puppy come with the house??????

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #6046350

YES MA'AM Colonel. MA'AM
Don't have to convince me , its T you have to convince LOL :P
we do have our hearts set on a GP.
I ate a poptart :(
watching Hanna Montana with DD LOL
bbl
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6046557

Ummmm Taynor Sue... T is in China...gonna BE there awhile...'

GET THA PUPPY!!!!

You need a smaller *trainer Dog* for those Monkeys..The P will come later...
You get yer first lesson , when I get a non company vehicle to get there...
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6046674

Whew! Made it back to Bob's.

Joyce and Dusty don't have to worry about me getting home now. Gonna check out his cat and trim his dogs nails then home to the heating pad for my shoulder!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6046709

You Lil Lead foot You !!! LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #6047228

Here's a cab we picked up today at the recycle shop for 50 bucks.
It's actually a small island and has functioning doors on both sides.
(BTW We now know exactly how much cab we can get in our Ford Escort.)
This will be put on casters and drop shelves added to each end.
We now have Robyn's Sewing Cabinet... it's even wired!

Thumbnail by henryr10

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #6047630

Looks good Ric. Good find.
Dusty LOL
well i m off to bed
good night
sue
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6048570

Wow Ric, all that in a Ford Escort... impressive. What a great find and what a great idea for it's use.
I wish I had one, sewing table is my dinning room table.

I spent the morning writing (and sending) a letter to President Obama, now what to you think the chances are that he will actually get wind of anything I had to say? A gazillion to none?
You know what's really weird, I used to think only lunatics and activist wrote letters to the President.
I don't think I qualify as either one.
Maybe I should sent the same letter to Governor Strickland... hmmm
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6049078

Dovey, Did you send it to http://www.whitehouse.gov? Pres. Obama is more technologically connected than any other President has been and I believe there is a good chance you can reach his ear through there.

Good morning Everybody. It's a big ole 11 degrees up here so I guess its another day spent inside. I really meant to make it to church today too. Oh well.

Chelle I didn't make it back out yesterday either. I had a serious lazy attack. I know, I suck. I will go out tomorrow though and see what's out there.

Bonnie?????? Wassup??????? Waiting for you Sis!

Love and kisses all. Will check back in later!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6049130

Toni, I am here, but our lives are upsidedown right now due to DMIL. I haven't forgotten you, or pictures, just take a patient pill, and I will get around toit.

No heat at our church, so we used a neighboring church, as early service at ours is 9am, theirs at 11, so it worked out well.

DH didn't get in till about 11:30 after spending the night with DMIL, so he didn't make it to services.

Read in the paper this morning that the snow we dodged at Christmas will be finding us tomorrow. 6 inches so 'they" say. Maybe this will bring us closer to spring, ha, dream on.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #6049321

good morning everyone
snowy white stuff coming down over hear ( the legal kind mother nature brings us LOL ) . Still stuck at home iwth the kids , Austin is really sick. high fever , deep cough. just yukky feeling in his face. You can tell he ain't well. His eyes show it .
FIL and MIL came out and stayed with them while i ran to the store to get Motrin and pudding cups .
Bonnie T&P for your MIL and you and DH :)
Toni interesting to know on the Mr.President. I think he is more into the peps . ;)
don't worry dovey we don't think your either a weirdo or a lunatic .LOL just a concerned buckeye :)
well off to get some nap in. Up with Austin all night im pooped.
Oh RIc i did try that movie from china and yep drats it is encrypted :( you can do it on a laptop though ? weird ?
bbl
sue
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6049419

I finally made contact with the company that I have used in the past to come and salt my driveway. It is really bad now that the snow has melted off. I almost did not get out yesterday to go to Dusty's. There must be 3-4" of solid ice on it. It's a slight uphill grade, and hard to get traction. There are just a few patches of bare gravel, and was able to get one front wheel on there and get going. Worried about my Mom walking on it, and me too... She goes to our little pole barn to get bird feed and lock our outside cats up at night. Do not need her to break any bones!

They will come in the morning to salt it. He said to wait because of all the snow coming down now. Cost $150 last time they did it - and he said salt was up 56% this year, so figure about $200. Hoping he won't have to do the entire thing, but it looks like a luge run out there.

Think I am getting a cold :-( Took a couple zinc tablets this morning. Maybe that will head it off.

Last year at this time the witch hazel were really starting to bloom. Weather is quite different this year. See tiny bit of color on the earliest one, but others are still in tight bud.

Big day planned here today! Going to take the dremel to the dog's nails and then work on giving her a good brushing out. She hates it! I had her hair cut off back in October.. but she is growing out to a wooly mammoth now. It's not easy for me to brush her out with my arms/shoulders, but it needs to be done. So I just do a little and take a break and do some more on and off all afternoon. She is one woolly furry beast! I don't know how these dogs ever worked in Colorado without becoming matted messes! Australian Shepherds are from America - bred in Colorado by shepherds that were from Australia. LOL

Here is Pebbles birdwatching back when I used to trim her hair with thinning shears by hand. Took me days! So much easier now that I found a groomer I can trust with the old girl. Pebbles is 12 and not the ideal time for a first trip to a groomer. This woman is really great with her though. Very patient, and always makes sure Pebbles is the only animal in the shop to decreases stress on her. She shaves her down to about half an inch. Without any trimming, Pebbles hair is as long or longer than a "Lassie" Scotch Collie - her chest hair would drag the ground.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2009 1:34 PM

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009

Post #6049421

Here she was at 3 weeks - doesn't she look like a little ground hog or something? LOL

For some reason, my thumbnails look like negatives - maybe because these are scans of photos??? but when I click on them they look normal...

This message was edited Jan 25, 2009 1:32 PM

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6049428

and here I think she was about 10 weeks.

She was the most adorable fuzz butt!

Ok, enough with the dog pictures

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6049469

Good afternoon everyone. Well...guess we will be staying at home today. Just had a big snowstorm here! Dang...will it never end? I know..I know..it's only January! I can hope though, can't I???
Jules...for some reason, I can't see the puppy pics?? Just have a thumbnail with an x up in the corner?
Your dog sure does look like she has a heavy coat though! Oh and yeah...don't let your mom slip on that ice!! That's what scares me about going out in this winter weather. I don't need any more broken bones!!!
Ric...the cabinet looks great. Good buy!
Bonnie, I hope we don't get that 6 inches of snow here!! You will hear me screamin' all the way to Ky.!!
Well...nothing going on here...just being lazy today.
Ate another piece of cake that I swore I wouldn't eat...lol!!
Hope you all have a great day!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009

Post #6049553

Darn... I resized and resaved the photos with photoshop... let me see if that makes a difference. They are pretty cute. Or I wouldn't try again...

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009

Post #6049557

Cuervo would LUV Pebbles

I know what you mean, brushing him dislocate your shoulder, and whoo-whee does he shed.
Does Pebbles love the snow?
Cuervo goes nuts in it.

Thumbnail by dovey

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #6049558

the other one

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6049570

Antoinine,
Yes That's were I sent it... so who knows

Quoting:don't worry dovey we don't think your either a weirdo or a lunatic. LOL just a concerned buckeye :)

Hubby is from Michigan... Buckeye is a dirty word at our house, we're not even allowed to wear red! *chuckling*

Dove

dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6049580

WE laugh when we think back to how small Cuervo was as a pup, he no bigger than his own head is now. Who would have thought the little fur ball would end up 80 lbs.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6049801

Hey, everyone. Last night's concert was terrific with a fun guest conductor who sang, plus played sax and piano. They played his arrangements of popular big band tunes, so it was neat hearing fresh interpretations of familiar tunes.

I'm just holed up inside with blankets today. Howie and his friend Mark have gone out to take pictures in the snow. They can have it!

There can never be too many dog pictures. :) Sue, maybe you should start out with a Jackabee. After all, a great Pyranese's piles alone will be as big as a whole Jackabee puppy.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #6049827

Oh oh sorry did i say buckeye ? ssshhhh i won't tell. :) LOL
those are some cute pics of them dogs.
I didn't relize salt went up ? wow what a price hike. wow. but well worth it for the two of you. A broken bone is more expensive these days. Be careful out there .
not much here
still inside
*sigh*
bbl
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6049832

LOL GW :)
glad the concert went well for you. Sounds like alot of fun

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6049878

Good Afternoon... just came back inside from a stroll around the yard since it's above freezing for a change.

DARE I believe my eyes????

Thumbnail by darius

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6049905

wow that is a sign :)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009

Post #6050077

Ooooh, lucky you, Darius!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6050143

Maybe I better go out and check to see if any of my bulbs are peeking through!!

Been a very laid back day here. Church, lunch, and then a nap, which I hope I will not be regretting in the wee hours!!

DH just left to take DGD home, and I will have supper ready when he returns. It will be like the commercial, woman with flour on her face, emerging from the kitchen, with a full plate of what he had for lunch!! Heated leftovers!! May make him a dessert, as it has been a good while since I did that.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6050150

Darius...Probably will freeze like those I found a few weeks ago when I was planting all of those bulbs...They were up about 2" then too...

I've got an inch or better on the ground here and more coming down... It was even heavier already up in Dayton...Thankfully both of my airport runs for tonight cancelled...

Bro...If you come across another cabinet like that, snag it for me will ya please?? I need something like that down in the basement in my craft room for my sculpting...I want a tall broom closet cabinet too that I can add shelves to for storing my supplies...I'm watching Habitat here, but nothing yet...There is a Habitat Restore in Spgfld too... I may run up there and see what they have some Monday...I am on a Mission for those French Doors to the patio...These sliders are leaky and one has the seal broken on the doublepane...so it will cut my utility bill to replace them...
I am going to keep my eye out for a pressure washer too...I need to wash this house down come spring...Tony cleaned out the gutters for me this fall, so that was a blessing...I get my Chimney leak repaired I will be one happy camper...
Once my vehicle situation is taken care of, I will be saving for lumber for the new back patio cover...It will let in lots of light in the winter and shade in the summer...It will be a wonderful place to spend an evening out there...

I found out a few weeks ago that we have installed and working electric fence...Now to get enough collars for the dogs...LOL...
Them boogers ain't cheap times 5...Well 4 anyway... Chootch won't go farther than 15 feet from the house...especially now that she is completely deaf...She is learning Kiras Hand signals now by watching Kira and then looking at me to see what I am doing...I give Kirs the Come signal, and she takes off toward me, and I look at Chootch, and do the same, and she comes right to me...Cute for such an old girl to adapt to her loss so well...
Chootch will not tolerate Lily in any form or fashion...she absolutely hates her...but here is someone who convinced her that they need to be Buds...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 25, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6050199

Bonnie I completely forgot about your MIL. So sorry. You know where to find me when you get them and T&P's k?

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6050413

Ahhh...sooooo sweet Dusty! Depending on which one you "ask", my boy cat has a dog, or my dog has her own cat. They're the best of friends. I think the cat thinks he is a dog, LOL.

Got 20-something more containers wintersown today, which puts me over 70 so far. I'm insane, this is an addiction. Which always makes me sing while I'm doing it "they tried to make me go to rehab, I won't go go go..." LOL
Also have 26 pots of germinating seeds under lights set up right here behind me! I needed a warmer place for germinating, so I've got a set up in my little sitting room. Its perfect, I can just turn my chair around and play with seedlings!

Thats about it around here.
Everybody stay warm tonight!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6050454

Yeppers Neal.. yer one sick puppy dear, and I know a bunch of us that are right up there with ya...
Hmmm Perhaps Seeders Anonymous??? ROFLLLL

Love you !!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6050678

Time to move on ...

New Thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946174/
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

January 29, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6064319

Well we in Louisville have had a massive ice storm with 75000 homes with out power.

My wife and I spent last night listening to tree branches coming down and transformers blowing. Our old silver maple took out my potting shed.

We have no power but the libraryis only 5 blocks fromour house and it does.

So here I am on thelibrary's computer
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #6064388

It sounds like you guys got hit hard. :(

The ice falling along with the branches is a very eerie sound. The swoosh then thud that follows is downright scary!

We lost a few more maple branches. It doesn't look major but between the loss from the ice storm two years ago then the hurricane strength winds in August (not to mention the drought like conditions), those trees have had it rough.

Thankfully, we had no real damage this time. We were also grateful to keep the kids somewhat under control by playing family Scrabble and 500. They are off school again tomorrow.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6064432

We have Moved on to here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946972/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America