ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 141 - The Winter seige is still on!!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/941633/

Rose: Ducher

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Reposting the pic of my little clown.... LOL

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Back from my errands. I picked up 2 more books at the library, since they will be closed on Monday. Don't want to run out of things to read.

Funny pic Dusty. We don't have problems with squirrels at the birdfeeders. too many dogs around.

LOL... Me too... BUT they are inside looking out...I don't have any fencing out front for them...LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry to pop in and pop out. I had a bunch of seeds to pack. Then I made myself an omelette and shared it with Carly.

We have a heat pump with emergency electric heat back up. Our bill always seems high to me! We keep windows open as much of the year as possible. I think we ran the a/c for maybe 5 days last year. We save 1/2 on property taxes compared to out other house but I think utilities cost twice as much!

Dusty, Charlie sells corn stoves, wood and coal stoves, furnaces, indoor, outdoor, water stoves, the whole works. It's nice to go down to the shop and feel the different ones. Some have blowers and some don't. As much as we lose electric, the fan would be wasted when we most need it. I'd love to have an old cast iron one for the greenhouse and a nice soap stone or decorative one inside. My Great Grandma always had a huge wood stove/furnace and her 100 year old home was so cozy.

My old neighbor was proud of his squirrel proof feeders. Of course he was not home during the day when the squirrels would hang from their back feet and clean them out (much like your pic!). LOL

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Just saying hello.....so I can lurk and occasionally post! :)

Hi Heather...LOL

HEAT WAVE!!! It's 26* here!!!!

I will keep my eye out for you Michelle..I guess even an insert type would be okay for you for the greenhouse, as long as it has a base to stand on...One of the old Franklin styles would be ideal as it has a flat top for a water pan to keep the humidity up...There was a nice one in a front yard up in Springfield last week for $50, but I didn't bother since we don't need one anymore...Come Spring, there will be lots on Freecycle from people getting rid of them like there was last year...

I had to pop out too...Tummy finally settled enough for me to brave going out... I just zipped up to Wally, and got bird seed, a couple more suet cakes, some squirrel chow and a few groceries...I just wasn't up to going to Kroger too...I just put the last box for the Salvation Army in the garage with the others, since they are closed on Sunday...It will have to wait for another day...
Wally had those Digiorno Garlic bread crust pizzas on sale for $4.68 so I got 4 of them..2 Supremes, a Pepperoni for Jim, and a spinach and mushroom white one for me...They are really good pizzas, and cheap too...I got the cheeses I need for Lasagna on sale too, and 9 oz packs of deli ham and turkey for $1.97...Jim likes that for his lunches...

I just refilled my feeders and all of my birdies are happy now... My Cardinals are here as are a pair of Titmice...and my woodies...I have 3 kinds of them...I tossed a cup of seed on the ground for my poor Doves...The Starlings appear to be gone for the moment, and I hope they stay that way...

I just got a prezzie for Cookie from Freecycle, and I hope she can use it ...LOL...It is KEWEL!!!

Okay, I gotta go put my bed together...I finally got the duvet cover on the duvet instead of piled up in the Middle of TONI and Oprah's bed...LOL That $12 Brass headboard and footboard sure are pretty now that I finally got a double ended frame to put it up...

I'll check back later on...Food is not real high on my list of priorities, but I need to cook something later to feed his majesty...Better check the freezer...LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Michelle close the windows!

36 (Wind Chill 25)

Ric

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL! It says 28/15 for us here! Craig said it feels colder now than it did the last couple of days. I've not set foot outside the house. I have to soon though. We have a birthday party to go to. Quite frankly, I'd love to dump the kids and go eat Chinese buffet. I won't but it sounds better. :)

According to mail I received, I think someone put a bid in on our other house. The mail said something about getting the deed to follow through with a sale. Last appraisal was at $140k. County has it at $128k. I received a letter saying they were going to list it at $117k, and only had to get 2/3 of that amount. Geesh. I wish I had all the time and money I put into that house so someone could buy it for as little as we did in 1991!

I've joked about buying it back but there is no way I could go back to living in a fish bowl on 1/4 acre with out a lot of duress!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Dusty, when I hear abt situations like Caro, I wonder why dialysis isn't still hospital based. I know it's been 30 years since hospitals were the place where everything treatment oriented was under one big roof, but I still think it was a mistake for the insurance companies to encourage everyone to have freestanding facilities. In ahospital, if someone gets in trouble like that, you have a bunch of people who have seen this problem and treated it a hundred times before. And you can hustle the patient into an elevator and zoom them to the appropriate floor, not have to wait for an ambulance on the coldest day of the year, & then explain to the transport crew, & then load & unload & all that. I really could use a touch up on one of my implants, but I'm living with it because my plastic surgeon now only operates out of his own facility.
Ditto the urologist. The anesthesia folks at these places are all one size fits all, for the most part. If I have an anesthsthitist like that, I want it to be in a hospital where there are 4 others on the floor to step in when he or she goofs up.
OK, end of that sermon-- for now.

Re: the house temps. We keep ours at 68 during the day and 66 at night. My bedroom has a wicked draft, so I have an electric space heater. The colder it gets outside, the more heat the furnace pumps out, so that we actually had to turn the thermostat down as the tem plunged this week! Plus it cycles on more when it's windy. Gosh, I am home too much!
We have a fireplace & I love fires but they just suck the heat up the chimney. I should build a Rumford one in my bedroom!
Last night the draft was so bad I took the weather station thermometer off the bookcase & put it in the closet. Bookcase temp: 66.4. Closet temp when checked after 15 minutes= 54.3. I repositioned it farther back in the closet & checked again later: 51.2. Hey, I think I know where the draft is coming from!

Back to the birds: Since this house has such deep soffits, I have most of my birdfeeders hanging right outside the windows from long hooks hanging from the gutters. So I can reach out the window & bring the feeders in to clean & refill them. I use weighted squirrel proof feeders & just throw peanuts on the ground for the squirrels when it gets this nasty.

Once again, my life is SO BORING. Maybe I'll go see a movie. I've seen Doubt, which is very, very good, and The Reader, which would have been better without quite so much skin. I want to see Defiance, & maybe Frost/Nixon.

I just got this joke today, which I enjoyed. Hope it tickles someone else, too.

A woman had just returned to her home from an evening of church
services , when she was startled by an intruder. She caught the man in the
act of robbing her home of its valuables and yelled: 'Stop! Acts 2:38!'
(Repent and be Baptized, in the name of Jesus Christ , so that your sins
may be forgiven.)

The burglar stopped in his tracks. The woman calmly called the police and
explained what she had done.

As the officer cuffed the man to take him in, he asked the burglar: 'Why
did you just stand there? All the old lady did was yell a scripture to
you.'

'Scripture?' replied the burglar.. 'She said she had an ax and two 38s!'

++++++++++++++++++
Pat

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

LOL, cute joke. :)

I'm just taking a break, which included a short trip to town to pick up a script refill that they were out of 2 days ago. I noticed gas is up another 10...

All I've been doing all week is putting data genealogy stuff online, and making corrections. I have worked so diligently on it that my tree has 1118 names, and most of them have dates of birth, marriage and death, plus lots of census reports of residences. So now I finally have "most" of the scattered paperwork assembled in comprehensible order, into files. No wonder my brain is fried. ('Course, that was a short trip.) Next will be the photos; many are old, dog-eared, mouse-chewed and unidentified. Ugh.

I was stunned at the tales of raids by Indians, detailed tortures, and children abducted never to be seen again. Of course, those paint a one-sided picture of our history which is always written by the winning side. Anyway, I'm learning LOTS about Ohio/Kentucky history and our migration into that area (and West Virginia) thanks to land grants to soldiers who fought in the Revolutionary War and French/Indian Wars... lands we "won" from the Brits and French.

I know this bores most folks into a stupor, but it's the areas where y'all live now... :)

Darius, that is great. I have worked on and off for many years on family histories, but so many resources in Kentucky have been lost to fires which destroyed many courthouses. The Kentucky Historical Society in Frankfort has many obscure records, and it is a fascinating place to visit.

Just got a call a couple in the community had a house fire, lost all possessions. This is such a sad story, as the woman's sister died in December with a a stroke, leaving 2 small children. This lady whose house burned had taken in her 2 children, plus she has 2 of her own. So a mom and dad and 4 small children, homeless and without any earthly possessions. The person who called is wanting me to try to do some fundraising, and see if the members of our church can kick in some donated clothing. etc.

While I have been typing this DH just got a frantic call from his DS, something is wrong with his DM, I am waiting to hear from him, as he tore out of here like a bat from h***.

Ohhhh Bons.... Prayers going like crazy here.....Let us know as soon as you can...

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Darius I get your passion. We recently visited a family cemetery with relatives dating back before 1900. My daughter and I took pictures of the head stones for history purpose....it has birth dates, deaths recorded and most had childrens and spouses listed. Then we had my grandfather go over them with us. It really is interesting. I have not got into the online collecting yet but that day at the cemetery was a memory for sure.

Cute joke, btw. :)

We are insane....getting ready to load the crew up to go ice skating! :O

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

wow your all have been busy
Bonnie T&P to you and your DM. Big (((())))) too. Oh that poor family . i will dmail you with a question. :)
Got truck started , went to wally.
then drove to IGA down in St Paris.
Dusty cute squirrel. LOL
Darius i love history and any history anyone tells me i m always fascinated with it. Keep on telling us , its all good :) never boring.
goshmom that is a cute joke , i love it ! lollll
CHelle i may have to take a look at your neighbors stoves we are thinking of getting an insert for the fireplace
I think electric is the cheapest you can do right now , so i m told LOL between propane and other fuels for heating.
I keep ours on 71 . Two story house and i keep a little electric heater on upstairs. The basement door needs to be adjusted so cold doesn't come in . I can see light when i close it grrrr.
take care
and stay warm
sue

Okay, here's a tidbit for Sue: Did you know Ohio was not officially admitted to the Union as a state intil 1953, when it was celebrating its 150th Anniversary? ... Too funny. They actually had a rider on horseback ride all the way to Washington, DC to present the application to Congress!

Darius, I didn't know that either. Thanks for the history lesson.

DH called about 7:30, and they were in the process of waiting for an ambulance, to take her to the hospital. He said it seems she may have had a stroke, as she is not talking, and only just staring blankly, so that is all I know at this time.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Darius & Sue & Heny,
It's so nice to have some early history & genealogy buffs around! If you really want to get into it, www.usgenweb.org is a good place to start. Most of the records you want are on a county level, so it's organized by state and then county. I have ancestry.com, which costs quite a few bucks, but I use it almost every day, so I consider it money well spent. Plus they have a family tree program that you can use to link up to public records so its pretty wunderbar.

One thing I didn't know before I started reading up on early US history was how many kidnapped folks decided to stay with the Indians after they had been with them for awhile. Look up Indian captivity narratives & you'll find a bunch. The movie Black Robe, which you can get on video, tells of the Indian/ white clash from the early Canadian point of view, although I wouldn't watch it when the kids are around as there is some graphic violence.
It's so intriguing, I think, to look around at the surface of things & know that under a few inches of dirt & clay are are fossils from the last ice age, cast-off pottery or fishing & hunting gear from the Hopewell people, arrowheads from the Indians who were trying to save their way of life from the invaders (aka gr-gr-grandpa & family), and bullets from the Civil War.
I was sorting through some photos that I inherited from a non-family member, & found the receipts for 2 lots in Linden Grove Cemetery in Covington dated 1863 & 1864. If these people had HGTV back then, they would have thrown all those old receipts away by 1865!
Pat

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Ric,
Yeah I'm back... I go missing now and again then, it's nothing personal toward people here. I think you all are a great bunch. It's been a very difficult year and sometimes I can only deal with so much.

Anyway, new year - new start. I love new beginnings.

Dove

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Pat, the joke was too cute, I'll have to pass that one on to my mom, it sounds like something she would say. :-)

Bonnie T&P for you family. THinking of you .
Darius no i didn't know that Hmmm LOL funny . Should i mention it to my kids teachers *giggle* yeah i know i m bad.
goshmom i will look into that link tomorrow looks interesting.
ok i m pooped
got truck started and got it plugged in ha found the darn plug thingy
got grocerys
got mail finaly ha
got a cool letter from my cousin in Idaho and he made a memory pic of Chris Ladoux ? spelling ? country music artist died in 2005 . So that was cool and he is going to send me a reprint of his art of it . Neat i thought. Wow .
off to my bed
hugs
sue

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Woo-Hoo, got up at 6:00 and it was above freezing today.. heck it was a sweltering 25 degrees!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Dovey,

Lucky you, it was 18 here. Last two nights it's been that cold.

Last Monday on a fair day, my engine overheated. I had to put some water in the radiator to cool it down, maybe about a gallon or so. Needless to say the coolant/anti-freeze is somewhat diluted now. I've made a point for the last 4 nights to park in the carport and watch that 2 liter bottle of water sitting in there to see if it froze. Yesterday it had, so we checked the radiator to be sure it wasn't frozen. It was good, but with a thermostat in the van that doesn't work, it's awful cold traveling before sun-up when the temps start to rise again.

The kerosene heater kept the temp in the GH at 38. The orchids seem to be surviving it as well as all else, except my toes.

Hi Chele, good to see you and the family are well and things are looking up for Craig.

Project for today is get 600+ more feet of fence posts and field wire up. DS is leaving for good in a week. I guess I can handle most everything else on my own.......except resurrecting the "freebee" deck on the front side of the barn. It's sitting out there in 2 pieces, much too heavy for me to carry. Maybe I can get him to do that, sit it on some 4x4 supports and secure it. Hey, sounds good to me. hmmmm, gotta think on this some more.

I like the very dark coffee too. Will buy either Maxwell House, Folgers, or the store brand, whatever is cheapest on the day I shop.
Last July I had a problem with my Mr Coffee. It was making some funny noises that morning. I didn't have a chance to look into the problem, but knowing I CANNOT wake up in the morning without fresh coffee, I stopped and bought another Mr Coffee, same as the one I have. It was on sale at 50% off. When I got home I went through the old one and discovered it just needed a good cleaning. Been working fine since.

I still have that new one in the box. At 1/2 price I will keep it. There's still room in the pantry to store a backup.

Been sick for the past 3 weeks. Still trying to come out of it AND keep working. I try to keep up on my watched threads but have been falling asleep on the desk reading.

Someone drank the rest of the milk last night, so no cereal this morning. Maybe we'll run down to Bronson for breakfast out.

BBL,
Molly

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

(((Bonnie and family)))

Check in please Bonnie and let us know what is happening. What can we do to help your family in need? What size clothes are the children and boys or girls? I don't have any clothes, but I might be able to bum some off my kids.

Snowing and pretty here today. I just got up at 9:30. Wow...can't tell you when that happened!

Dusty, you got me a pressie?????? Oh Cool! I'll swap you, cheese for pressie.

Molly, that sounds so COLD for Florida! Wow. glad the GH is surviving.

Stay warm and happy all!

Good Morning Everyone! I've been busy quite a while reading and answering threads here on DG, saving the best for last. :)

Wow, Molly... that's as cold as when I was staying out there with you when you first moved. Brrrr. But of course, you have HEAT now and don't have to pile everyone in the LR with a generator running one small heater overnight!

It's snowing here, which I thought wasn't supposed to start until late this afternoon. So, I just looked at the Advisory... Freezing rain mixed with light snow, THEN all snow this afternoon. Bet that will be fun driving on snow over ice. Glad I have lots to do here and no need to go out...

So Chele, what's the good news or is there any yet?

I need more coffee... and some breakfast. BBL

good morning !!! snowing here got another few inches maybe 2 " ?
not much here
take care
stay warm
sue

Pat, I forgot to add a note about your link, and the history remarks. I've used the GenWeb pages; some states/counties have more data translated than others but it's a good source. The history is fascinating... and I hated history in school. Now that I can relate the movements of my family to the events of the time, it makes a big difference. I'll make a note of the Indian books/film you mentioned... put it on my growing To-Do list!

oh yeah FYI
don't eat peanut butter or anything containing it. To many salmonalla cases are being reported.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Howdy folks!
Well, we did get a break in a pipe as they thawed yesterday. Got it repaired and were able to shower, but that bathroom is a disaster and everything is pulled out of there and into the middle of the living room floor. I'm just staying out of eyeshot of it for now, LOL.

Chele, I have a friend with a couple of greenhouses who has a woodstove in one. Everything in the house with the stove colored up well before the stuff in the other GH. Saved her a bundle on propane too. Its a stove she found used, people are often getting rid of one or upgrading, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a used one.

Darius, I think history, especially our regional history, is fascinating. Sounds like you've got the ground work done for a good book! I find such a richness of heritage where so many of us have native blood blended with European roots. My maternal grandmother (who died before I was born) used to say she had "Indian blood" according to my mother. It was easy to believe from the pictures of her I've seen, very dark hair and eyes, a squat build, and pronounced cheekbones.

Dovey, just glad to have ya here when ya can :-) I know what you mean though, sometimes life gets me to a point where I don't have room to allow more in, and I get so bogged down in the murk I can't let it out either. But also like you, I keep focusing on this new year and new beginnings! Last year was rough, so I'm looking forward to a bloom filled '09 by golly!

Bonnie, you, your MIL and family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ric, we've been leaving a trickle, but seems like one or the other (hot or cold) will freeze up anyway. The pipes are on an exterior wall on the north-east side of the house. The good thing is we went ahead and put a foam insulating thingy on there while the wall is torn out and the pipes are exposed. I've heard conflicting advice, but is it a good idea to leave the hot water dripping?

Good morning,just barely. Everything here is still about the same. DMIL is just hanging on, and may do so for awhile longer.

I did get a phone call about the family who lost their home, an agency in another county has opened it's doors for them, and they have all the clothes that they need. There have been generous donations of money and furniture and household items, so it seems for the time being that they are being taken care of.

Thanks to all of those who have offered assistance to them. They may need assistance at a later time, but for right now they are doing well.

Neal glad to hear that you have water, even if you have a mess to restore.

Will check in later.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Sorry about the pipe break. That's always a pain, but at least it was where you could get to it, right?

I've had another sinus headache since the wee hours. Even my teeth hurt in the top of my mouth. Man, I will not miss this winter, not one bit!

There's a whole chicken simmering on the stove. I'm going to remove the meat, then return the bones to the broth for stock. It's smelling soooo good and I'm looking forward to fresh chicken, brown rice & veggie soup tonight. Yum!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi all! . The lurker here, always present , seldom seen. LOL.

I will try to be brief and bring you all up-to-date on my life. I was laid off from my job as of Christmas. I had an absolutely great week after Christmas. My DD,SIL and two wonderful Grandchildren came up from Texas and spent the week with us. The kids are 2 and 4 and I had a ball with them. The 2 yr old is my daughter all over again. It was wierd and wonderful to experience her at this stage in her life. Everyone remarked that she was a clone of her mother and her actions, voice and antics were very remindful of my daughter at that age. They left on the second to drive home to Texas.

Jan 3rd, I suffered an extreme lower GI bleed and ended up in the hospital ICU. I was in the hospital for a week and am still feeling weak and I have no "get up and go".

I have a question for any of you who are familiar with the medical stuff. Is a C.A.T. Scan
something that can be read by any medical staff , or does it need to "read" like an x-ray is read by a radiologist? The CAT Scan and chest x-ray were done just minutes before the ER staff hung two units of blood and put me in an ambulance to the Columbus hospital.(My doctor is in Columbus and they have more and better facilities than we have locally.) I noticed on my bill, that the CAT scan was $ 3700.00, and I wondered if it was needless or if it was something that could have been printed immediately and sent with me to Columbus.
I have caught up on reading all your posts and , and send hugs and good wishes out to all of you.

Lou

This message was edited Jan 18, 2009 1:57 PM

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Lou, they probably sent the results ahead of you electronically. Oh, my gosh, I'm so glad you're okay! Sorry to hear about your job, though it sounds like you enjoyed a wonderful week because of its timing!

Aaaaagh, aaaaaagh. Howie came home from grocery shopping and saw that someone broke out the Jetta's window and stole the car stereo. You know, the one I just got in July for my birthday? :X :X :X Bad words coming out of me. We usually remove its faceplate and hide it up in the visor, but last night we didn't. Whoever did the job knew what he was doing, because the door hadn't been opened; had it been, the alarm would have gone off. He just smashed the window, climbed in, and ripped up the console to get what he wanted. :X

*sigh*

At least we have the serial number from the box. The policeman said that is good because they can watch for it at pawn shops. Also, it is snowing, not pouring rain.

That's about as positive as I'm gonna get right now. After all the times our windows have been broken by vandals, we now have people stealing, too. We only have one off-street parking spot, and we let Nancy have it since her door opens onto the driveway. We're easy pickings out on the street, and there's not a thing we can do to stop these :X :X idiot kids. :/

Oh GW i m so sorry ! that happened to you. :(
Neal glad you got your pipes fixed. Im enjoying my curry , i made chicken and rice with curry.
Lou sorry to hear you had that health problem .T&P for you and a ((()))))
Bonnie (((()))) to you and T&P for your MIL :)
making it short since i have kids who want a movie turned on uhg
ttyl
sue

Lou, the CAT scan must be read by a Radiologist... no "instant" reads there. But GW is probably right that they sent the data while you were on the road. MY GI bleed a year or so ago was upper GI and I had lost so much blood that I was seldom conscious, certainly not enough to know what was going on. They transferred me too... and was about a week in the hospital. It was more than a month before I had any "get up and go". GLAD you are okay!

GW, that's the pits! Invariable when I don't do something I should (like remove a faceplate), sooner or later it bites me.) That's often no guarantee they won't get it anyway. I assume you are insured. They can come to your house to replace the window.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Good grief Kimberly! So sorry this has happened. On top of losing the stereo, that threat to the sanctity of your home must be terribly unsettling too. Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lou, good to hear from ya. Hope you recover quickly, so sorry to hear you've had such a rough time of it. Glad you were able to have the gift of time with loved ones as a result of the lay off. T&P your way too..(((())))

Sue, glad you're enjoying the curries! I love curries during cold weather, sort of warms me from the inside out (I like to add a little more cayenne sometimes).

Yay! the pipes are fixed and the bathroom is back in order. The vanity had to be pulled out, but we were able to get to it, and with the vanity back in place you can't see where the dry wall was cut out. I have a living room we can walk through again too :-) Got potting soil today so I can start sowing seeds tomorrow. I've got several to start under lights and a boat load to winter sow. I'm soooo ready to get my hands in dirt!

I meant to let Chele know to be careful of stoves in a GH... Kathy Algood (kathy_ann) came home today to find her GH a pile of smoldering ashes.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh No! OMG, she had the most amazing collection of stuff in there!

Good eveing folks. Finished a book tonight, since there was not much going on today, I spent a good deal of time with that book.

Lou, I am so sorry that you have been sick. Is this something that came on suddenly, or were you aware of a problem? Good to know that you got to visit with the DGK's, and your DD. Sorry for the lay off, but it did afford you time for that visit. Will you be called back to the job, or is the company downsizing?

Kimberly, ohhhh no. I am so sorry that you had the break in and the loss of your radio/stereo. Just when we let down our guard, someone is there to take advantage of it. It is a horrible feeling to have something stolen from you, just a feeling of being violated.

Neal, glad that you got the bathroom all back in order. Now who is gonna open the vanity door to discover drywall missing? Fix it when you get around to it. I am not gonna relate similar stories about frozen pipes when we lived in the other house, might bring down the frozen pipe demons on me!! Been there done that, and sometimes it was a day or 2 or 3 before we could get the problems fixed. Mighty inconvenient.

Darius, I didn't know kathy_ann, but sure feel sorry for her loss. What kinds of things did she have in her greenhouse?

I was gonna comment on stoves they are indeed warm heat, but they require a watchful eye. Anytime you have live coals, there is a real danger. We used to have a wood stove, and it was indeed very cozy, but one year, during the middle of the winter, we had a chimney fire, and oh, my what a mess, with the smoke damage. Took me days to clean everything, and had to wash/dryclean everything in the house. So the next winter, we eliminated the wood stove, and relied only on the propane furnace. More expensive, but a lot safer.

I had planned to switch the litter of puppies to a larger crate tomorrow, but went out today, and there were puppies all over the garage. Have their eyes open, and in full exploration mode. So had to do the switch this afternoon, installed a 8 inch board across the doorway, as we have to give mamma access for feeding, but need a barrier to keep the puppies inside. I was going to take some pics, but the camera had dead batteries. Will try to do that tomorrow.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yay, Bonnie! We LUV puppy pictures.
My sister's , Alice, is not doing well. SHe's a tibetan terrier, abt 9 years old, & she's got diabetes, & occasional bouts of pancreatitis. Because of the diabetes, she got cataracts, & then detatched retinas, & is now blind. I guess some dogs adjust to this, but Alice really seems disinclined to use her ears & her nose & just keeps bumping into stuff.
Now the vet has sent her to a doggy opthalmologist, who's talking abt removing her eyes because now she's at such risk for glaucoma. I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable with all this intervention, but my sister (and her vet) just aren't there yet. Not a very good situation.
So I need PUPPY PICTURES to cheer me up, please!
Pat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images