-
AuthorContent
woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

January 18, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6019664

Hi everyone... i'm fairly new to the woodworking forum...in fact i didn't realise there was one till Bubba suggested i take a look... i'm based in the UK but became aware of the site through my girlfriend Pebble last summer... i've found a great deal of interesting subjects in many forums... but this is where i'm at home... i've read through some of the past topics with interest and feel i could have offered the occasional tip or word od advise but got here too late..lol
I'm a joiner/cabinet maker and wood machinist by trade and have been since leaving the British Army in 1984... i've worked in joinery all my civilian life for several companies... i love my job and always have done... i take great pleasure in producing the joinery items i get to work on... i don't really practice my trade outside of work but i've carried out many projects around the home over the years.
I've worked on many prestigious contracts over the years... one company i work for did a lot of work for the Royal household, buck palace,windsor castle,Kensington palace and so on... in fact too many to list here... i've recently started to take pics again of some of the projects i've worked on... i did have lots of pics of past work but lost them all.. Booo hooo..
I'll be looking out for anything of interest from you all... feel free to ask me anything and i'll try to offer a fair opinion.
I will from time to time add pics if you're all interested.
There seem to be some very talented people here, i'd like to congratulate you all on your skills...
Love the bird houses john.

Alan.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 20, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6028389

We will be looking forward to seeing your work, Alan.

Most of my woodwork is construction / re-construction. Still working on restoring an 80YO farmhouse. One external threshold left, rebuilding the deck railing, and refinishing the floors. Every time we start one project, we find 3 more that need to be done - LOL. Rebuilt the bottom of an exterior door last weekend - someone had tried, but just filled the void with caulk.
cranbrook2
Belgrave Ont
Canada

January 20, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6028547

Hi Alan , thank you and welcome aboard . There lots of great people here.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6126359

Welcome Alan Where's the pic's We're waiting to see the royal family in them.LOL
Tubby

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 14, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6138605

Hi guys sorry about the delay... been away for a while... but i'll be back with a vengence...hold tight...
Hey tubby... the royal family and i are not on first name terms but yeah... i've work on there crib..lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 17, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6152306

Might be some not sooooo talented but always willing to learn...do love my tools...
woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6202130

Hi guys... hope my post finds ever body well... sorry its taken so long to get round to this... i've been meaning to get this done every time I've been near the PC but knowing how long its gonna take me I've put it off... but no more excuses.. I've lapsed and I'm full of apologies... my friends would say I'm full of something else but we wont go into that..lol.

Any way.. i;ll try to be discriptive in each of the pics... i wont load them all up now and i'll try to vary what i do load...
These pics are mainly of some classic furniture that i've recently made and installed at a large residence in central London... for those of you who know London its actually in the Westminster area... the house is from the Georgian period...and there's not a stick of modern furniture in the building, everything is manufactured in Brazilian Mahogany solids and veneers and finished with a lot of gold leaf in some cases as you will hopefully be able to see.
The large circular table is constructed in Sweet chestnut, again both solids and veneers, its 2.7 mtrs in dia and extends to 3.7 mtrs in length... a heck of a lot of work in applying rope mouldings to the edges which are ebonised before laquering... anyway... hope you like. i'll post more at another date.
Alan.
woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6202151

Vanity unit for a bathroom with radiused doors, in Mahogany veneers inlayed with chestnut.

Thumbnail by woodchipper
Click the image for an enlarged view.

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6202156

Radiator cover, again in Mahogany, with gold leaf covered carving and marble top.

Thumbnail by woodchipper

tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6202159

Wheres the pic Anxious to see..Sounds great

Tubby

I didn't look at your post time..Ooooops

VERY nice

This message was edited Feb 28, 2009 11:01 AM
woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6202168

2 pics of a wall table...the first shown before finishing , the second after installation. Again in Mahogany... the edge mouldings are hand carved from Tulip wood before finishing and gold leaf being applied.

Thumbnail by woodchipper

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6202189

bookcase with sliding doors in the middle section... hiding a plasma screen audio visual unit... TV in English..lol.
The bookcase being constructed.
Built in 6 sections...the middle section with sliding bi fold doors...the doors have false bookends behind glass.

Thumbnail by woodchipper

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6202206

Myself with bookcase during installation. Though the bi folding doors were hung in the workshop they had to be reinstalled on site ... the unit took a heck of a lot of levelling the floors being what they were... all out of level.

Thumbnail by woodchipper

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6202215

Completed bookcase... forgot to mention.. it stands 3 mtrs in height and measures 4.2 mtrs in lenght.

Thumbnail by woodchipper

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #6202237

The table at various stages of construction... the radius sections shown form the beam around the outer underside of the table.

Thumbnail by woodchipper

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6202242

Construction drawing..

Thumbnail by woodchipper

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6202250

The table base... constructed from door blanks and shaped and then veneered in sweet chestnut. the octagonal drum made from solid sweet chestnut with veneered panels... to support the table top and table extension panel box.

Thumbnail by woodchipper

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6202256

Ebonised rope mouldings applied after base section has been sealed...

Thumbnail by woodchipper

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6202265

yours truly applying rope mouldings to the drum section.

Thumbnail by woodchipper

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6202274

The table complete before mouldings are applied to the table edges. Huge isn't it.

Thumbnail by woodchipper

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6202298

The table after rebuilding on site...one heck of a job to get the sections into the room... quite a route march through the building round corners, down stairs and through door ways.
Apologies for picture quality... they were taken without permission using my cell phone.
all comments welcome, and constructive criticism accepted.

Alan.

Thumbnail by woodchipper

woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6202307

Thanks for the comments Tubby... thats all for now... more to come in time though..

alan.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6202324

Alan nobody can criticize art..They all look so great..Pat yourself on the back.HARD.
OMG I love your shop.I would never come in the house.LOL
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6202336

I'll be looking forward to more

Tubby
woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

February 28, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6202373

LOL...Tubby , the shop is not mine... i work for a joinery company...though admittedly, it does help to have the space to make something so humongous...

Alan.
tubbytee
Ames, NE
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6202394

Do they have back room to rent out..LOL They would never know I was there.LOL..

Tubby
cranbrook2
Belgrave Ont
Canada

March 1, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6204085

Beautiful work Alan , Everything looks great ! !!
woodchipper
Maidstone
United Kingdom

March 1, 2009
7:41 AM

Post #6205292

Thanks for the compliment cranbrook...
nice to hear from you all...
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 2, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6210171

Awesome - just awesome!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America