Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beauty and Fashion Tips: Is there an eye cream that really works?

Communities > Forums > Beauty and Fashion Tips
bookmark
Forum: Beauty and Fashion TipsReplies: 12, Views: 233
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pestee42
Molino, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6021966

I'm 44 and have under eye bags and crows feet that seem to be getting more noticeable. I have tried different creams but none seem to make much difference. Some are pretty expensive and I don't want to waste money on yet another cream that doesn't do anything. Anyone have experience with one that they really like?
Also what do you all think about mascara/eyeliner on the lower lashes. I've always done it and it looked good. Now nothing seems to look right anymore. Is it best to skip that at my age? I never applied it heavy.
mamaofmany
Shawnee Mission, KS

January 22, 2009
4:33 AM

Post #6034803

Best Eye Cream: Creme de la Mer
Do not put eyeliner or mascare on your lower lashes...it makes your eyes look smaller and will make you look older.
Apply eye shadow on entire eye lid...cream/ivory color...apply eyeliner to upper lash line...smudge with smudger (I like Bobbi Brown)...apply eye shadow...apply mascare...let set...smudge eyeliner/shadow again if there are any traces of mascare on your lids.
pestee42
Molino, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6038600

I have never heard of that so I googled it. WOW! $130.00 for 1 ounce. Too much for me. I'd rather put that in my IRA. LOL
Anyway thanks for the tips.
mamaofmany
Shawnee Mission, KS

January 24, 2009
6:49 AM

Post #6043821

Then I would try the new Olay products. You can go to their website and take a short quiz and it will recommend products that are right for you...I started using the night cream and I love it!!

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6071460

Check out Murad - the eye cream and the serum is fabulous
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6097356

I really like "Boots No 7" Refine and Rewind. Very inexpensive also.
steph_gem
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 9, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6115992

I just took the boots quiz. I have never used or heard of it until my friend told me about. I guess its huge in the U.K. . I just bought the no.7 foundation and can't wait to see how it works out.

I might try the eycream for me it recomended the firm and lift one.
NDFarmgirl
Page, ND

February 9, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6116598

Philosophy products are my favorite. Not too expensive. When I dont use those, I use Olay - they really have some nice products.
pestee42
Molino, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6117241

I had never heard of Boots either. I see it's at Target. I like that since I'd rather not have to order it. I took the quizz and it recommended lifting and firming eye cream. I'm going to try it.
superk
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6148165

The only clinically proven topical cream or gel that will reduce fine lines and discoloration of skin is retin-A, aka retinoic acid, a form of vitamin A. It can be purchased, by prescription, at any phamacy under the product names Revova, Retin-A micro, or just a generic version of retinoic acid. It takes appox. 6-8 weeks to see great improvement in skin clarity, softness and fine line reduction. Six weeks is about the amount of time it takes for the epidermis to completely turnover/renew itself, so hence the 6 week course of treatment. Adverse reactions are temporary redness, flakiness, mild itching. You will feel like a snake for a few weeks but the results are pretty sensational. Other salon type products, that I think are pretty good, but very expensive are the Obagi line of skin care products that is a retin-a based skin line. The other line of prescription strength skin care is the Skin-Medica line which I believe is a alphahydroxy acid line. Talk with your Doc about these products. Some Docs even sell them. But if you just want the real thing without the big price tag, Retin-A, or Retin-A micro would be just fine. Don't be afraid of the peeling, it's expected, and will resolve. Apply only to clean dry skin, at night ( retinoic acid is inactivated by light) and use a good moisturizer with a high SPF during the day. Your bright fresh new skin should be protected. Also if your skin really starts to peel, while in the shower, take a clean soft washcloth and very gently rub the peeling skin off. Gentle is the key here, because if you are too heavy handed you will cause redness, which would go away, but who needs that ? Let us know how you do. I know all about these products because I have used retin a for years and I know it works.
superk
Portland, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #6148198

I need to correct an error. The name of one of the retin A creams is Renova, not reVova. Sorry.
_Nadine
Walterville, OR

June 10, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #6667119

superk -
Thanks for the info. Do products containing retinol work to reduce wrinkles?
BigHat
The Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2009
9:46 PM

Post #6692080

I heard a report on the BBC that of all the over the counter eye creams, only one was proven effective in clinical trials.

It was Boots No. 7 Protect and Perfect. The thing is it only works on 20% of people so you will never hear Boots touting the study.

I am generally not too concerned about wrinkles but the fact that my 55 year old skin no longer functioned the way it used to was starting to annoy me a bit (and I always had perfect skin, if I do say so myself!). I also have six sisters who are a bit more concerned about appearances than I am, so I thought I'd act as guinea pig and give it a try. (You have no idea how big a coup such a discovery would be for me in the world of six sister politics--especially with all the weddings we are facing.)

After using the product for one month I can report that it is definitely having a positive effect on my Northeastern US Irish/German/English/Dutch skin.

I base this not on observation of wrinkles but on the fact that my skin is getting better at keeping my pores clear. I have stopped getting blackheads around my eyes and some other long standing clogged pores have started clearing up. I think the wrinkles are probably lessening but their appearance can change just based on how well hydrated I am or the season, etc.

Now, mind you, I've been protecting my skin from the sun since I was 18 so I do not have a lot of sun damage. Whatever your age, I'm guessing you need the retin-A for that.

My advice would be to first make sure you are drinking enough water. I was in my 40s when I discovered what a difference that could make. Then, if you want to give Boots a try, get over to your nearest Target (that's the only place I've seen it) and plunk down your twenty bucks for about a month to six-week supply.

Anyone who tries it, come back and tell you what you found!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mascara doghouse 22 Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM
What base foundation do you use? konkreteblond 38 Jul 11, 2008 5:18 PM
Fine hair, help please! IO1 89 Dec 12, 2010 5:00 AM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
imitation diamond anastatia 12 Jan 8, 2009 7:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America