Photo by Melody

Article: The Lesser-known Hardy Ericaceous Shrubs, Part 1: Andromeda to Gaylussacia: g. ovatifolia

Communities > Forums > Article: The Lesser-known Hardy Ericaceous Shrubs, Part 1: Andromeda to Gaylussacia
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Lesser-known Hardy Ericaceous Shrubs, Part 1: Andromeda to GaylussaciaReplies: 1, Views: 4
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cranei
Providence, RI

January 19, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6023673

i'm having a little difficulty finding a place to purchase this plant. the article said it was good for shady zone 6 which is where I am. this sounds like a great groundcover for the east side of my home which I've designed as an asian woodland walk-through and would go well under my rhodies, azaleas, and mountain laurels. any suggestions anyone?
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

January 20, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6028325

Hello cranei - I live not far from you in west central CT. Our upper elementary school is called Huckleberry Hill Elementary. We also have a Huckleberry Hill Road. Those names suggest we used to have plenty of huckleberry here, but nowadays I've only heard stories about plants. Never seen any myself. We've talked about purchasing some and re-establishing a patch at the school, but I have yet to find a source. I haven't looked very hard, though. So, if I come up with something, I'll certainly let you know. I wonder if pine forest is necessary for their success. White pine is native to the area, but I've heard they were heavily harvested for ship masts. Forests here now are mostly mixed hardwoods and hemlock. Maybe that is the reason for the disappearance of the huckleberries.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Lesser-known Hardy Ericaceous Shrubs, Part 1: Andromeda to Gaylussacia Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Want part 2 kathy65468 0 Jan 17, 2009 5:33 PM
Walnuts DianeEG 1 Jan 23, 2009 12:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America