Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
helenchild
Decatur, GA

January 21, 2009
11:52 AM

Post #6031158

I have grown gourds a number of times in the past. I get lots of vine and gourds but they are not very thick shelled. Any experienced/successful growers out there who could offer me some culture hints? I would appreciate the advise and thanks in advance.
I am new to DG and maybe there is a more appropriate place for this question. Again I take all the help I can get. Another thank you.
Helen
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6033598

You're in the right place...I'm sure someone from your area will be along soon to give you some advice...The ones we grow out here are nice and thick shelled.

HEY! Gourders...Cum by yah!! LOL Jo
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #6033611

helenchild, a suggestion is to check with your local Master Gardeners/county extension office. Your soil might need amending somehow. I've been successful in the past and have a garbage can full of them, intending to decorate...just haven't gotten a "round tuit"...LOL. After they grew, I just left them out to harden off over the winter and they'll dry out and be fine to use.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6039695

Hey Helenchild , Good Ole Roadrunner gave me a heads up about this thread and Hoped Maybe I could help out. ...but Sorry to say my gourds all did the same thing as yours. beautiful vines at the end of the dry season and absolutely gourd-geous gourds, but as thin as a Georgia Cracker!( oops sorry 'bout that )!
Bugme's advice is the best! Call the extention Service and they can help out , Im contacting them today! I also got a lead on all the "Ready" Horse manure compost I can handle... Now Ive got to get hold of a Truck ! LOL!! Im in process of planning a Strawbale garden and one especially for the gourds , Man Im just'a itchin' for Spring to sprung!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6040722

Only thing I can think of (aside from the primo advice above) is make sure you water them consistently.
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6041439

The extension office can provide you with a paper bag and will instruct you on how to check your soil, taking it from various areas within your space, then return it to them and they send it off to UGA for testing. Guess I was lucky with my first crop of gourds, planting them on the outside of the veggie garden so they could climb the fence. Most turned out well, with thick walls.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

January 24, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6043371

Hey everyone - I have enjoyed the comments and suggestions. I plan on trying the extension agency and the water too.
Keep the cards and letters coming...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America