Weight Loss Journey

Culpeper, VA

I'm extremely overweight and would like to begin my own weight loss program that I designed for myself. Right now my goal is to get fit and to just get into a pair of jeans that I can button and not have elastic! I used to be able to walk miles but since I have let myself get so fat, I can not walk around too much without having a lot of pain in the legs. I have a small frame and my body can not support a lot of weight.

Is there anyone out there who has designed their own program and have had great success? I love success stories for motivation.

Thanks in advance,
Susan

This message was edited Jan 22, 2009 5:42 PM

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Susan, see the weight loss challenge thread. There are some people there who have great stories. Our 'thread mother' leaflady has a pretty impressive story of losing quite a bit. I battle it too and have lost 20 to 25 pounds on the South Beach diet. And I have kept it off for at least two years. So come join us on the other thread. Joann

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Is the pain in your knees?

The reason I ask : You can burn a lot of calories with a hula hoop ---but it does tend to impact the knee. If no knee issues - as you are following your diet - turn on the TV and "hula to your hearts content!" It helped me
1. Burn the calories
2. Inject a little humor into my day (it was fun!)
3. Not miss the snacking when watching TV
4. Get used to not sitting when watching TV
5. Not spend a ton of money on a contract at a fitness facility and on the gas to get there.
6. Do some cardio exercise that did not include walking - weather not cooperating and I didn't want to just walk -- but wanted something I could do indoors.

I followed the Atkins - but I cannot in good conscience recommend it. It was fine for me and I lost the weight I wanted but I would recommend the american heart association diet if you are significantly overweight and must diet for any length of time. You want a sensible weight loss. the Atkins (to me) should be something you kick-start with - easy- effective - and motivating -- but I would not recommend it for any length of time --- you want to be healthy and feel well - that is your goal....the weight etc, in my opinion is just a means to get to that level of health and wellness.) All the best of luck to you.

Culpeper, VA

I've tried the Atkins and South Beach and liked both but at some point I feel like I'm not getting something that my body needs.

When I get going, I'm probably going to combine a whole bunch of different diets into one.

Thanks for the input.
Susan

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I am not super strict with the SB diet but mostly I just try to avoid simple carbs and sugar. We eat lots of grains when I am eating bread. Choosing your fats wisely too helps. And the sooner you can start moving the better. But go slow and you will slowly build up I am sure. Good Luck to you, Susan.

Hi Susan...

I second what Lenjo said. Please join us here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/943818/

and you will get lots of good ideas, recipes, and encouragement.

You've taken the first step by letting us know you want some help, advice, etc.,

You can begin by making your diet primarily of lean meat, fruits, veggies. Try and eat every 2 hours throughout the day. It will boost your metabolism.

If you are significantly overweight, at some point, you are going to have to do cardio to burn the fat. Walk as far as you comfortably can (don't forget, you have to go back to where you started :-) and each day, try to walk a little further. There are many walking dvd's available if the weather isn't cooperating.

Take small steps and don't expect "instant" results. You WILL get there.

Drink LOTS of water.

Come on over, we're here for you :-)

Edited to say that if you have cable or satellite, they too, have exercise channels.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2009 10:43 AM

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi Susan,

Glad to see you are giving weight loss a try. I have had success with a great deal of weight loss. I lost half of what I used to weigh. I went from 490 lbs to 245. I have bounced back up about 50 but am currently taking that back off.

You can do this it just takes time and determination. It took me about 2 to 3 years to get it off. I did it by counting caloires. I eat 1800 a day. I like counting calories because it teaches you how to eat right. You can have a lot of fruit and veggies on 1800 a day. I say it teaches you to eat right because if you go out and spend all your calories on a big mac or a few slices of pizza you will be pretty hungry the rest of the day. However if you plan out 3 meals and 2 snacks with furit and veggies you can be pretty satisfied. I also allow my self one day a week where I go over my calories by 600 to 1000. That way you can still enjoy some of the foods you like.

Don't worry about the exercise part that will come in time. I lost most of my weight just by eating healthy.

You can email me from my website if you would like to talk more. www.thehman.com.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi, Susan! I'm Mrs. Howie. :) When he first started losing weight, he was dealing with debilitating back issues and could not walk more than 30 yards or so without being in terrible pain and having to lean on something. He had his whole spine rebuilt from T9 down to his tailbone in January 2006, and that was a lifechanger. He now walks miles at a time for exercise, but he knows firsthand about getting healthy even before you're able to move. You can do it! :)

I'm working my way down, too, from a high of over 280lbs, I got down to 199 in 2005. When Howie and I fell back into bad habits during his recovery from surgery, I put on pounds right along with him. I ended up back at 266lbs. I'm back on track now and today I weighed in at 255lbs. It's good to be losing again!

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

susan, good luck to you on your journey of weight loss.
there are thousands of programs out there, and they all promise the same thing.
basically...the bottom line is:

you have to reduce your caloric intake......then you need to move your body......

I think we all know what we need to do, in this day and age, I would be surprised if we could find someone that doesnt know. we just like other people to confirm it...

look at oprah's site (and dont order the free acai berry pills....they'll ding you for over a hundred bucks a month)
dr. oz has some excellent advise....

basically you need to follow a healthy balanced diet....
load up on vegetables
lean meats
fruits
legumes
grains

make a soup with vegetables, onion soup mix, tomatoe paste and eat as much of this as you want....... a bowl before meals is great......as it fills you up, and i think if you dont use things like corn, potatoes and peas, and no oils, its about 30-40 cals for a cup....

and drink your water.

join us on our other thread, we start a new thread every week, i cant think of what we call it, but we have a date after it.....

again good luck, you can do it, think baby steps..........make small goals....5 lbs, then when you loose the first 5 lbs, go for another 5 lbs, and so on and so on...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Pebble's right - there's no substitute for just eating right. There are lots of diets being touted, lots of weight loss pills and products, but eating a healthy, well-rounded diet is something that will not only help you lose weight, but stay healthy after you lose it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images