Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Weather: January Daily Weather, only a week to go.

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 229, Views: 1,559
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6039885

Seeing how the old thread is getting long again, & another cold snap is on the way, here's a new one.

Temp is going down as I type. 16 & that will be the high today. MW wind is blowing at 15 MPH.
This is supposed to last until Tuesday.
I don't know if it is headed south.

Bernie
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 23, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6039908

We are in another cold snap. Highs of -23C or -9F and lows of -28 or -18F. Our days are still quite short, 8 hr 50 min of daylight. In about a month, we we be at 10-1/2 hours of daylight. Yes cold air is heading south
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6039948

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie!

Brrrrrr, Joanna!!

((((((((((((Marilyn)))))))))))))))) I'm glad you're doing something fun for Buddy's birthday. :-)

Sharon, I was laughing at the Pea & Prissy photos and the comment about the cat toys, too. LOL

Celia, your nephew is really cute in his jacket. :-)

It was very warm yesterday and will be again today, and then another cold front is coming through.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (18 min ago)
Temperature 56 F 13 C
Dew Point 53 F 12 C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 30.10 in 1019.2 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir S 190
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 52.0F / 11.1C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6040626

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie. Even for DSL it took a minute.

Baxter was adorable, Sharon. We never really get over their passing.

Great pics, everyone.

36F with 44 for the high today. It's grey and hazy again. It's been raining and sprinkling off and on all morning. It's dreary but nice.
Feels like: 36F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↑
Dewpoint: 34
Humidity: 93%
Visibility: 1 miles
Precip in last hr: 0 in
Precip last 24 hrs: 0.14 in
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:45 AM
Sunset: 5:34 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

The moom a couple of mornings ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6040689

I have high speed wireless internet. At about 200 posts it takes a few seconds, & I hate waiting!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6040716

One of my favorite commercials is a girl asks for a latte at a coffee shop. Immediately after finishing her order, she says, "Excuse me? Where's my latte?"

I can't wait, either!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6040789

56 F here today and still sunny.
Now that will change... colder weather due tonight...

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 23, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #6040955

We got a couple more hundredths of an inch of rain overnight. It is very dark now and looks like it could rain if it really set its mind to it.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 9:51 AM PST on January 23, 2009
59 F
Light Rain
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 7 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
Visibility: 6.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2000 ft
Overcast 3100 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6040979

Very windy & cold here, 9.
NW of us a couple roads are closed because of blowing snow.

Anyone interested, I updated my web site this morning. Going to do more over the weekend. http://www.countrygardensmn.com

Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6041029

I'm impossibly behind... again. I did read the answers to the last time I was on.

Countrygardens, we're 29*, but it is supposed to be getting colder and windier later this afternoon.

Welcome Joannabanana! That is much too cold for me for a daytime temp!!

Kwanjin, I love the sliver moons. We've been having a lot of reddish sunrises lately.

Country, I'm still on dial-up. Yesterday it couldn't find a connection. The phone company was having router problems. I'm very slow today.

Ric, we were at 40* yesterday, but I like your temps better!

Kelli, I'd do a rain dance for you, but it would just get me snow :o)

Bernie, I'll have to log off and see if I can't get on at a higher speed. I'd like to see your website.

30* with a bit od sun off and on. Windy, to get windiewr and dropping temps this afternoon.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 23, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6041046

Some schools in Northern Iowa closed at noon, so it might be heading your way. The worst of this seems to be in a narrow band.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6041425

38, bright cloudy, and very blustery.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 24, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6042708

18 4pm~gray all day.
A chance of snow in the afternoon. Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s. Northeast wind to 15 mph.
Locally stronger winds to 35 mph out of the Matanuska Valley
Thanks for the new thread, Bernie.
Very pretty sky, kwanjin.
kelli~hope there's more rain to come.
Welcome, too, joannabanana.
pepper~ I love your descriptive, bright cloudy; sounds great; but, not the blustery part.
marsue~I hope the movie helped in some way; you're often in my thoughts.
Taken from beneath the "new" bridge looking toward the old bridge over the Matanuska River.

Thumbnail by kiska

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6042914

Wow, it got warm today up to 39 degrees here. The snow melted off the driveway, beautiful. Some welcome sunshine fell down all over the place! We are supposed to get the cold spell from Ohio and the NW tonight and resume winter tonight and tomorrow. The coldest part of winter in my area is usually Jan 15 to Feb 15 - so I guess we have been lucky so far. I well remember that March 3, 1994 presented a blizzard that required a front end loader to clear the driveway.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6043192

Well we topped out at 57 and Sunny.
Down to 37 (Wind Chill 30) and dropping fast.

We may hit single digits again by Monday AM... errrrrrrrr!

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6043363

It is currently snowing. Looks like we have around an inch but being dark it's hard to tell.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #6044015

Good Mornin'! Yesterday was such a warm 59! Ric, We're right behind you. At work we cleaned out the flower beds & spruced up the outside. Now I'm ready for spring & it's gonna snow! Right now the temp is 37 & in Dublin...
Clear: 46F
Feels like: 40F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 36
Humidity: 66%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 15 mph NW
Sunrise: 7:32 AM
Sunset: 5:38 PM

Thanks, Sharon! LOL! Love the Peanut toes! :D Spend your time laughing, huh? BTW, How's Gary doing? Have you heard anything from his PET scan?
Rann, Thanks, Yes there were 5 deer there together. Blob-no, deer-yes. :D
Marsue, thanks...Sounds like you & Friday had a Great day! ;D How was the movie? I hope it was a funny as anticipated! :D
Celia, thanks! Your nephew is a real cutie! ;) It doesn't take them long to grow up!
Sally! Glad to see ya!
Kiska, Thanks. You have such great angles for pics! Love 'em! :D
Kelli, I had no idea that Living Rocks (?) bloomed! Neat - O! :D Glad that you are getting some rain! :D
Bernie, Love the barn pic! Is that you kittie at center?
Joanna! BRRRRRRRRRR

The answer to the trivia is...C ; 71%
I'll have some more trivia this evening...must get ready for work.

Have a Great Day!
Joey

(Rann, here's the rest of the troop.)

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009
11:47 AM

Post #6044018

Oooops...forgot the 'fix'! :D

Thumbnail by music2keep

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 24, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #6044118

-12.5 this morning.
Warming the next few days. No January thaw this year!

Yes, I didn't notice the cat when squeezing the shutter. We have a lot of cats. 2 have died this winter of unknown causes. They all have the run of the farm, get fed to well, & spend absolutely no time in the house. They tried moving into one of the greenhouses earlier in the winter. We put Buster, our wild Rat Terrier in there for the winter. No cat will go within 100 ft of there now. Anyone that knows about barn cats knows you don't want them living in a greenhouse. They have some old foam cushions in the barn that they sleep on. It makes for a big pile.

Time to feed chickens,
Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6044648

You "peeps" were chatty yesterday afternoon! The movie did provide some laughs but it is definitely a "chick flick" You guys wouldn't appreciate it! LOL
Celia: I saw the same moon just before sunrise one morning this week but my camera doesn't take good shots of the moon like yours does. The moon always looks "fuzzy" in my photos.
Kelli: what an unusual plant--it does look like a rock with a bloom!
Kiska: neat shot of the two bridges. Is the "old" bridge closed?
Ric: our winter has returned, too.
Joey: Awwww, JW is cute as ever! Get me some neck sugar!
Bernie: I'm going to check out your website now.

Today Partly Cloudy
High 40F
Precip 10%
Wind: NNE 16 mph
Max. Humidity: 46%
UV Index: 3 Moderate
Sunrise: 7:12 AM CT
Avg. High: 50F
Record High: 76F (1972)
Tonight: Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 27F
Precip 10%
Wind: NE 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 49%
Sunset: 5:29 PM CT
Avg. Low: 27F
Record Low: 15F (2005)

It was 38F on my back porch (according to my thermometer) when I took this photo at about 8:30 this morning. Friday was getting ready to take himself for a walk--LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6044663

Bernie: I meant to tell you that my husband would have agreed with you: "Cats belong in a barn" is what he always said. Of course, Celia, Sharon and several others on this thread would disagree. LOL
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 24, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6044770

Our little 6 yr old Pomeranian, Todd, loves to be outside the entire day. His night bed is in our back entrance of the house. We have always had an insulated dog house for him, but never had a heat source. This fall I bought a heat mat and a heat pad that work awesome. The MFG is Farm Innovators. Even at -25C or -13C his dog house is toasty warm. He loves it and spends a lot more time outside this winter than past winters. It is powered by electricity (need a good 14 gauge outdoor extension cord). It turns on by his weight. Anyone with pets that like the outdoors should check this product out. The water dish keeps the water from freezing, but still stays cool.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6044831

That sounds like something I need to get for Friday. He loves being outside but I can't stand being out in the cold for more than 10-15 minutes at a time with him. Whenever we come back inside, he is barking at the back door to go out again! I have to tell him, "Friday, it's too cold!" LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 24, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6044886

Last time we had a cat in the house was nearly 35 years ago. It was a very expensive Siamese. I walked into the kitchen & it was on the table eating out of the butter dish. He hit the refrigerator on the way to the floor, then out the door. Never in the house again.

I had it when I go to someones house & when you get home you are covered with cat hair.

Warmed up some here. It is now zero. Sun is shining bright, but no heat in it.
Going to do some more work on my web site today. Adding some recipes.

DW makes a mean German Potato Salad that is a hit at the Round Up's we attend. The recipe comes from my grandmother.
Also have a really good Salsa recipe a customer at the Farmers Market gave us.

Bernie
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6045241

17F Today with cloudy skies and wind. We had highs of 41 on Thursday and 44 on Friday so the snow and ice melted a bit which was nice. Back in the freezer for the next 10 days though, with highs in the teens and twenties.

Rann...The bird that escaped from the neighbor looked just like your yellow one.
Here's a link I stumbled across with some great Iceland photos.

http://www.pbase.com/meddings/iceland&page=all

Joey...There are plenty of deer here too. They tend to herd up in late winter when conditions are severe and food is hard to come by. With the snow on the ground you can see they have been crossing the roads everywhere. There are so many that I'm a bit paranoid about driving. The little guy is looking pretty cute.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6045394

7*, sunny and a light breeze. Not so bad if you don't have to be out long. I think we had two days of January thaw, Wednesday, and better on Thursday. Still didn't melt the snow down to the grass, but it shrunk it some!

Pepper, good description!!

Kiska, a new bridge! You'll have to get a picture of it too. I miss the bridge we had when I was a kid. They replaced it with one that didn't have an overhead to it. Now it's just boring. The water sure looks cold!

Hi Joey! I bet it felt good to work on flower beds! Sigh... Nice picture of the deer. We saw a buck with a nice antlers in the middle of 4 females streaking across a field the other day. Deer season is still open till the 25th here, so someone probably spooked them. Nothing is more huggable than a little one in footie pajamas!! A big squeeze and a kiss for him!

Bernie, do you usually get a thaw? I wish I had a barn, and a greenhouse.

Hi Marsue, how are you doing? Awww, cute picture of Friday!

Joannabanana, the heating pad sounds so nice. He's a lucky guy! We use a heated water dish and it's amazing how many other critters use it.

Early, the snow really brings out the green. I love the round with the vertical fence slats. It all fits.

My sky yesterday.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6045614

I missed too much to comment.

46F with 48 as the high.. Rainy here in the valley and snowy on the mountains.
Feels like: 41F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↓
Dewpoint: 41
Humidity: 82%
Precip last 24 hrs: 0.11 in
Wind: 11 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:44 AM
Sunset: 5:35 PM

It was foggy again yesterday and still alittle bit today. Last evening.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6045646

And thanks for the "fix" !!! Couldn't be better!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6045754

20.5 and sunny. We have just a dusting of snow on the ground but only in sheltered areas where the wind couldn't blow it around. Wind chills are in single digits.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6046339

Awwww... Thank you for the JW fix, Joey!!

That photo of Friday taking himself for a walk was priceless, Marilyn! LOL

I love the foggy photo, too, Celia.

Sally, it looks like a rocket just blasted off in your picture.

E_B, that window looks wonderful in the snow!

Our internet has been r-e-a-l-l-y slow for the past couple of weeks. We had Comcast out - again! - today. The last time was Wednesday, and the guy replaced the cable that goes from the pole to our house. That helped a little bit, but we were still only running at a fraction of the speed we should be. The guy today looked at the wires that run through our house and said that the original installers - about 2.5 years ago - put in the wrong kind of cable. They used underground cable, which is not made to withstand a lot of heat. Certainly not as much heat as it finds up in our attic!! So it's a wonder it has actually lasted this long. He put in another service call to rewire our house. I'm sure whoever has to do it will be grateful that he figured it out now instead of in July!

We had another chilly front come through last night. It was 76 yesterday, but only 53 today. I wish it had rained on its way through, but this is another dry front. We get zapped with static when we pet the cats because the air is so dry (stop laughing, Kelli! LOL) Actually I had to put something in front of the computer door... The cats brush up against it when they turn around on the window sill to watch the birds outside, and the static from their fur keeps making Windows reset!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 3:53pm CST (36 min ago)
Temperature 56 F 13 C
Dew Point 37 F 3 C
Humidity 50%
Pressure 30.23 in 1023.6 mb
Wind Speed 15 MPH
G 18 13 kts
G 16
Wind Dir N 360
Ceiling 3000 ft 914 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 46.9F / 8.3C

Tonight Cloudy, colder. Lows in the upper 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6046411

Quoting:the static from their fur keeps making Windows reset!

ROFLOL, Marylyn!!

Currently 34F and the sun is setting--not yet Dyson dark.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6046752

Doesn't look comfortable but he seemed happy with it.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6047138

ROFLOL, Marylyn!!

LOL Celia!! He looks HUGE sitting like that!!

It is really, really cold outside. I am still shivering. LOL.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #6047153

music2keep~wonderful~JW's getting lots of longdistance hugs and snuggles today:)) Add mine to the list. Love the deer.
Marylyn~too bad there was no rain; maybe next time.
pepper~such fickle weather; how do you ever keep up?
marsue ~ the old bridge is open to foot traffic; so nice to be able to safely gaze down.
kwanjin~kitty with lots of personality; very cute.
April~new bridge over Matanuska River.
Snow likely tonight.

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6047170

LOL. It's not easy keeping up since it changes all the time. But I try to wear several layers so I can be prepared for whatever weather I get hit with.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6047208

Marylyn you might just have a problem brewing w/ all that static.
Computers don't do well w/ it... as you noticed w/ the Windows resetting.
Just a small amount can zap a hard drive.
This is usually only a major problem if you open the case.
I'd put a humidifier in there and get an anti-static pad to put under your moniter and keyboard.
Unless the keyboard is wireless.

GREAT shot of Friday!
And e_b that window just keeps looking better!

Here's a cab we picked up today at the recycle shop for 50 bucks.
It's actually a small island and has functioning doors on both sides.
(BTW We now know exactly how much cab we can get in our Ford Escort.)
This will be put on casters and drop shelves added to each end.
We now have Robyn's Sewing Cabinet... it's even wired!

21 (Wind Chill 14)
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 25, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6047386

That's a pretty nice cabinet, Ric.
Did you mean you could get it in the Escort or tie it on top.

I've been thinking I should build something to sell at the next flea market. Tonight it hit me, a gun cabinet. Everybody needs one of them!

-3 tonight. I'm sick of the cold!

Went to a K-Mart store that is closing. Everything 25% to 50% off. Big deal they raised the prices before they came up with the discount. If people would have been as thick all the time as they were today, they probably wouldn't had to close.

Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6047442

A gun cabinet is a great idea Bernie!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #6047586

Well in our old Escort Hatchback it would have been in.
We once got a washer in there and shut the Hatch.
In this Sedan it was in the trunk but only about 1/3rd the way.
Then I tied it off... kinda cantilevered... maybe suspended is a better term...
So technically it was in/on/out...lol!

Yeah the infamous liquidation sales.
They bring in a company that starts at mfg. suggested retail price and discounts 50% or so...
So in many cases it IS more than it was before.
Circuit City is doing that too.
I hate to see them go.
But I bought from Amazon for 30% less, no tax and free delivery.
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I think a Gun Case would sell well too!

I'm getting ready to make a sliding bookcase for an 8" opening between the Pantry and the corner.
I already have some 100 pound 24" drawer slides so...

21 and Dead Calm!

Ric

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
5:04 AM

Post #6047736

Joplin, Missouri (Airport)
Updated: 8 min 10 sec ago
18 F
Clear
Windchill: 10 F
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 5 F
Wind: 6 mph from the ENE
Pressure: 30.37 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground

Statement as of 1:20 PM CST on January 24, 2009

... Winter storm possible next week...

A wintry mix of freezing rain... sleet and snow will likely impact
the Missouri Ozarks... southeast Kansas and the surrounding region
next week. The potential exists for significant ice and snow
accumulations Monday night into Tuesday... and possibly into
Wednesday.

This winter storm will develop as a storm system approaches from
the west and draws moisture northward over the Arctic airmass in
place across the region. Precipitation may begin as early as Monday
then become widespread Monday night into Tuesday. Periods of
wintry precipitation may continue into Wednesday.

The development of this storm system and resulting precipitation
type and amounts remain uncertain. Area interests including those
with travel plans... the media... transportation departments and
emergency management are urged to monitor the latest forecasts.

It will be Ice Pellet on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday!
It's so chilly here now and stay inside warm again...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6048441

18 Snow moving in...

Quiet here today!

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6048482

Too much to comment on. Thanks for the comments on Baxter. He had a rough start in this life. I know he was extremely spoiled to make up for it because I spoled him (in a good way). :)

I enjoyed the pictures. Friday and Monty are a hoot! JW is a adorable as ever :)

A friend of mine has been here this weekend. Have you ever had a friend who's life seems to be all about trials? Well, Debbie's does. Ever time I talk to her there is a new crisis going on in her life. These aren't exagerated or made up. It's sad. The latest is just so unbelievable and unexpected. Her husband, John went hunting with a friend on the outskirts of Tallahassee last weekend. They were driving on a bridge over a river when one of the "leaf springs" on the truck broke, kicked the tire out at a 30* angle, hit the curb, flipped the truck over the bridge and into the river...upside down. John and Dan were trapped inside the cab of the truck until rescue came and had to cut them out. They had managed to find a pocket of air - that's how they survived.

Every time she gets over one hurdle another one comes along. All I can do is pray for her and thank God for every blessing he gives me and my family.

I'm letting her sleep. She's mentally and physically exhausted.

Just so y'all know I thank God for all of you being a part of my life and I ask him to bless you too every day.

Welcome joannabanana!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6048492

Oops - Here's the weather.
59.0 F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 54 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.21 in (Rising)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
Clouds: Overcast 500 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Now
Through 1045 am...skies will be cloudy with occasional light rain and drizzle in the Jacksonville area. Patchy dense fog will affect areas from Fernandina Beach north along the coast and inland to Interstate 95 to St Simons Island. Only light rainfall amounts are expected during this time. Motorist be alert for sudden drops in visibility to less than one quarter of a mile. The fog extends into the near shore waters as well.

Today
Mostly cloudy. Areas of fog in the morning. Slight chance of sprinkles through the day. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times in the morning. High 63. North winds 5 mph.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6048586

Updated: 10 min 25 sec ago
22 F
Overcast
Windchill: 12 F
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 5 F
Wind: 8 mph from the ENE
Pressure: 30.33 in (Rising)
Clouds: Overcast 3900 ft
(Above

Woke up this morning and look out at the window already snow on ground (just melt slowly)

Thumbnail by JuJu55

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6048719

12* and puffy snowglobe flakes of snow coming straight down. It's a pretty snow day. We are almost at our high of 13*

Kwanjin, nice fog picture.

Marylyn, it was a pretty interesting corkscrew! Funny, we've been having trouble with our internet too, but we're on dial-up.

Where is Dyson?

Kwanjin, it's funny how they can spread out. Monty sure a fluffy one!

Kiska, I love that picture!! Does the water rise and cover the ground or can you always just walk to the waters edge?

Pepper, I have 3 sets of clothes to change into every half hour LOL!

Ric, there is a recycle shop in the next town, but we haven't been there yet. What a great find and it looks new!

Country, a gun cabinet sounds like a good idea! Yeah, bargains. We see a lot of that. Kmart has nothing new to offer me. Honestly. The last few times in, we walked out empty handed.

I love a guy that can build. DH builds too.

Rusty, I hope you don't get the ice. Stay warm yourself!

Sharon, why does trouble seem to gravitate to certain people. It is sad and no fault of their own. Oh my gosh! Now that is scary! Prayers for her and John right now. Awww, peanut can read!

Rusty, woke up to a layer of snow too!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6048984

Sunrise at 9:40 this morning. 5.7 earthquake yesterday morning but I never noticed.
20F Dark but snow in the forecast.
By July, the water will be at the edge of the parking area. It's a "braided" riverbed and the channels change; where you could be on the riverbed one summer, next summer it could have become the new channel. The main channel, under the bridge, remains unchanged.
Good morning all~ MySharona; your friend will welcome the extra sleep. So glad it ended well.
Veteran's Memorial ~ Palmer-Wasilla area

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6049201

Really cold at 18* and spitting snow. I can't say flurries cause it's not coming down hard enough. It's just spitting or drifting down at a leisurely pace. lol. Won't amount to anything which really stinks. I want 6 inches of snow.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6049204

Huge hugs coming out to your friends and you, Sharon!!!

37F with 44 for the high. Snow is on it's way, starting tonight and contniuing through tomorrow. It's raining.
Feels like: 33F

Barometer: 29.7 in
Dewpoint: 34
Humidity: 87%
Precip last 24 hrs: 0.33 in
Wind: 6 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:44 AM
Sunset: 5:36 PM

Burrito Cat lost his feet.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6049845

Celia, it's amazing how cats can curl their feet up under them to the point that they are invisible!
You "peeps" have been busy today--lots to catch up on!
Kiska: liking your winter scenes of the bridges with the mountains in the background. Nice veterans' memorial--is that flag painted on?
Nice cabinet, Ric. but is Robyn going to sit at that cabinet and sew? If so, where are her legs and feet going to go? (This question was asked by someone who has done a lot of sewing in her time.)
Rusty and Pepper and Ric and BP and Bernie: no snow down here but it is cold--currently 31F which may seem warm to some of y'all but not to me!
Sharon: Yea--Pea can read! LOL So sorry about your friend's troubles but so glad that the two men were able to be rescued. That must have been a terrible ordeal for them! I am sure your friend needs some TLC and you seem to be giving it to her. Prayer changes things (in my book)!

Sunrise: 7:11 AM CT
Record High: 72F (1970)
Tonight: Mostly Cloudy
Overnight Low 27F
Precip 0%
Wind: NE 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 51%
Sunset: 5:30 PM CT
Avg. Low: 28F

Friday is bored because I won't take him outside to play (too cold) so he decided to take a nap.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6049856

EB, I forgot to say that I really like your garden window but is one of the panes broken?--it looks gray instead of green in that space.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6049868

Maybe Burrito Cat needs a name change now.
How about Mat Cat
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #6049876

Good question Mau.
My Father is was a tailor and I repaired sewing machines for years so I factored that in.
I'll have two extensions that hinge off the ends.
The machine will sit on one of those.
Plus it will give her an 84" x 28" table.

Pretty good snow going on now.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6049890

Good thinking, Ric! An 84 x 28 table--perfect for laying out fabric and cutting out a pattern! Good job!

How about a photo of your snow--I like to look at it from a distance--LOL!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6050107

Lol... Shhh please don't say word "Icy" it make me like in my mind again "Oh, no not this time again!"

So, I final got all do shopping for foods and some other items what I need for my home before Sleet hit!
My pelvis start get hurting me that it chilly so bad for my pelvis & right hip...

Take care and stay warm...

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6050644

Statement as of 3:02 PM CST on January 25, 2009

... Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Monday afternoon
through Tuesday afternoon...

A Winter Storm Watch remains in effect from Monday afternoon
through Tuesday afternoon.

Sleet and snow accumulations of 1 to 3 inches are expected from
southeast Kansas into west central Missouri. Areas from Lake of
The Ozarks to Rolla may receive more snow than sleet from this
storm system... with accumulations greater than 4 inches possible.

Snow and sleet are expected to develop Monday afternoon mainly
along and west of Highway 65... then spread into central Missouri
by early Monday evening. Given the afternoon onset of
precipitation... there may be significant impacts to the Monday
afternoon commute. Periods of sleet and snow will continue into
Tuesday before ending Tuesday evening.

A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow... sleet... or ice accumulations that may impact travel.
Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6050742

12F here now with a chance of flurries overnight. Highs forecast for the next 10 days only reach the mid- twenties. We haven't had any new snow for the past 4 or 5 days and it's sure been nice to get a break from shoveling. Driving on bare roads for a change is nice too! Looks like a big storm might hie much of the country in the coming week.

marsue...You are right. One pane of glass is missing and the previous owner replaced it with a piece of tin and I didn't bother to repair it. I think I mentioned here before that the window is 150 years old--the original attic window from a house here in town.

Kiska...What a setting for a monument.

billly...Thanks. With all the snow here and the monochromatic tones the colored windows really stand out and brighten the landscape.

Ric...That will make quite a sewing station.

Here's the horizonal view of the winter farm scene I posted a few days ago.

early_bloomer

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6051200

We are scheduled for snow for th e next week, and cold temps here in Central Pa. High was 24 today, grey, cloudy with that 'imminent snow' feeling in the air. We did just get a dusting. Hope the rest of it wanders away.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6051211

We got 0.3 inch of rain yesterday.

Updated: 3:51 PM PST on January 25, 2009
59 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 41 F
Wind: 6 mph from the WNW
Pressure: 29.91 in (Steady)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 4400 ft
(Above Ground Level)

hiking pictures - milkmaids

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6051214

ceanothus

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6051217

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #6051310

Well the base is beefed up, castors are on and I have the Cab wired for electric.
Now I just need to figure out the extensions.

Robyn and our youngest son Mat ran a temporary heat duct to the new room.
Finally we can turn off that oil filled heater.

I also doubled my RAM today.
From 4 to 8 GIG much, much faster!

Well it looks as if we get a nice Winter Storm or Not.
It depends on how it tracks.
Either a bust and Central KY gets hit or we get an additional 7" of snow in the next two days.

21 and Dead Calm again.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #6051872

The volcano, Mt. Redoubt, is becoming active again and has been upgraded to code orange. It's about 100 miles sw of Anchorage and last erupted about 9 years ago.
I'm wondering if yesterday's 5.7 quake is related to the stirring of Mt. Redoubt.
More information at Alaska Volcano Observatory
E_B~beautiful. Dry roads are a plus during the winter; enjoy the moment:))
kelli~ .3 is at least something-hope it does some good. Loved your hike; the milkmaids look very pretty.
se_eds~that "feeling" of impending snowfall is usually right.
ric~Dead Calm~ that sounds like an ominious phrase. Did you see the movie? The cabinet will be great for the projects to come.
Rusty~sounds as if the weather will bring a bit everything; take care.
Almost noon ~

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
10:57 AM

Post #6052230

Once again I'm too far behind to comment, but will check out Mt. Redoubt. Oh well :)

53.8 F
Fog
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 50 F
Pressure: 30.24 in (Falling)
Visibility: 0.2 miles

Now
Fog has become widespread across northeast Florida and southeast Georgia with visibilities locally reduced to a quarter mile or less. Additionally...fog will impact portions of the Saint Johns River and tributaries as well...as well as the Intracoastal Waterway and nearshore coastal waters. Motorists and boaters should remain alert for rapid changes in visibility...and should allow extra time to reach their destinations. Motorists should use only low beam headlights. Fog will persist through much of this morning...possibly extending into the afternoon over the coastal waters. If the dense fog becomes widespread...a dense fog advisory will be issued.

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning...

Today
Widespread dense fog in the morning with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Otherwise...becoming partly cloudy. High 65. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

The plants took a beating during the freezes last week. I have some clean up to get to this week. Lady Margaret looks more like a frump right now LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2009
11:35 AM

Post #6052261

Good morning!

It's 37F this morning and rain in the forecast although it doesn't look like it at the moment. The ice still hasn't melted from the street and sidewalks, I'm really sick of it! We need a good storm to melt it all off before another freeze, we might get one tonight (storm that is).

The past week has been one of great unrest over here ... there have been daily protests since parliament reconveined after Christmas break last Tuesday. People have been banging on pots, pans, drums and anything that can make a noise ... as a result one reporter called it "the kitchen utensil revolt". The protests turned into riots on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Police had to relese tear gas on Wednesday night to break it up ... first time in decades. Things calmed a bit after that, and protests have been peaceful since then. There will be an election this spring and our current government is barely hanging on, not sure it'll last the day. One minister resigned yesterday (Minister of Commerce) So it looks like the protests are paying off. A 100+ days after the collapse.
http://mbl.is/mm/frettir/english/
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Credit-Crunch-Icelandic-Minister-For-Commerce-Bjorgvin-Sigurdsson-Steps-Down/Article/200901415209941?lpos=World_News_Third_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region__1&lid=ARTICLE_15209941_Credit_Crunch:_Icelandic_Minister_For_Commerce_Bjorgvin_Sigurdsson_Steps_Down
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7850639.stm

It's a very unfortunate coincident that both the Foreign Minister and Prime Minister have been diagnosed with cancer. The PM announced his diagnosis on Friday. The foreign minister was diagnosed in October just before everthing came tumbling down. At that time she was in New York City and didn't return home until two weeks after the break down. She was in Sweden receiving treatment when the protests began last week. Their prognosis is supposedly good, but it must be horrible to have to deal with such personal problems when faced with such enormous political problems at the same time. Amazingly the former PM and foreign minister were also diagnosed with cancer while in office. So that's 4 in a row ... they both made a full recovery.

Another possibly interesting bit of news: One of the radio stations here launched a collection of woolens (sweater, socks, blankets etc.) for senior citizens in the UK after news about rising number of senior deaths due to cold in the UK. The effort was well received by the public, I don't know how much they managed to collect but it was a very sizeable load. They were shipped out last week and I think they're due to arrive there today. It just goes to show what kind of people live here... even when we get dumped on we're still ready to lend a hand ... (and btw the anti-terror legislative thing is still in effect).

EB - those photos are fabulous!

Marsue - (((Hug))) I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. LOVE the photo of Friday going for a walk :-)

Joey - thanks! I couldn't make anything out of that blob! lol They're pretty and JW is as cute as ever :-)

This is how my street looks this morning. The side walk at the end of the street hasn't been sanded for some odd reason, so from there to the preschool (a distance roughly equal to the length of my street) it's just slick ice. Pretty impossible to walk on.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6052526

Updated: 1 hr 2 min 19 sec ago
21 F
Overcast
Windchill: 10 F
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 7 F
Wind: 10 mph from the ENE
Pressure: 30.34 in (Falling)
Clouds: Overcast 3400 ft
(Above Ground Level)

No snow yet!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6052633

Rann, it is amazing how pwople can face such diversity and still think of others. My heart goes out to your country. I've sort of been following this in the news and find it comforting to know about the people getting the things they need. (((((Hugs))))) to you and your girls. Your street looks scary!

Sharon, I read about Gary this morning! That is so great to hear he's clear! (((Hugs))) to you and him. (I'm in a hugging mood today. Hugs all around! LOL) A big hug to your friend, too.

Mau, Friday is a doll! I love his fuzzy little fur-face! LOL You and he get (((hugs))), as well! LOL

Kiska, checking out the volcano this morning. That pic of the mountain is great! I like the memorial, too. Is there a cemetary, as well?

Kelli, your photos are a very welcome sight! Thank you.

Ric, good job on the extra RAM! I think I need to do that. I'll have to check but I think my pics are taking up all the extra space. ☺

Rusty, do you want snow? We have extra you can have. LOL

Seeds, are you all better?

26F with 32 for the high. We got more snow than the half inch showing. It looks like about 2" with more on the way today.
Feels like: 14F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 19
Humidity: 70%
Precip last 24 hrs: 0.68 in
Wind: 15 mph N
Sunrise: 7:43 AM
Sunset: 5:37 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 26, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6052634

Brrr -24C or -11F this morning and Banff (1-1/2 hour west) is -33C or -27F Calgary Forecast is -7C or +19F for this afternoon. Mild temps for this week.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6052737

Well, we still have not heard from the radiologist. The Doctor said Gary is clear, but I'm not dancing until we hear from the radiologist. It's been over a week since the tests were run.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6052763

Fingers crossed, eyes closed tight, sending good vibrations.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6053049

Rusty: stay warm!
EB: what a great bit of history about the window--no wonder you didn't replace the tin with colored glass.
Ric: that wreath looks as if it would be a good place to tuck some treats for the birds--but maybe you have already thought of that.
Sharon: I read the news about Gary on Caring Bridge--but as you said its best not to dance until the doctor says "all is well". Still. . .prayers going up!
Joanna: centigrade or fahrenheit--it's cold up your way any way you look at it!
Celia: It's fascinating to me to watch cats give themselves a bath. I love how they wash behind their ears, too! I know some children who could take a lesson in bathing from the cats! LOL
Rann: so sorry there is so much turmoil in your country.. It is good, though, that the people can still lend a helping hand to others who need help--even in the UK!
Your icy street looks treacherous!
Kiska: you could very well be correct about the earthquake being related to the "stirring" of Mt. Redoubt. That's sort of scary to contemplate! Pretty "almost noon" photo!
Kelli:"with silver bells and cockleshells and pretty maids all in a row"--that's what I thought of when I saw the pic of the milkmaids. (I read a lot of nursery rhymes to my children when they were little--they got stuck in my brain-LOL)
Glad to know it is fairly warm someplace in the U.S.!
According to the Weather Channel, Kansas, Missouri, NW Arkansas and places to the north and east are due to receive a blast of winter weather this afternoon through Wednesday. I'm heading out to the grocery store in a little while.

Currently 29F and cloudy, gray and gloomy
Today PM Rain / Ice
High 34F
Precip 40%
Wind: ENE 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 62%
Sunrise: 7:11 AM CT
Record High: 70F (1970)
Tonight: Rain / Freezing Rain
Overnight Low 31F
Precip 70%
Wind: NE 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 90%
Sunset: 5:31 PM CT
Avg. Low: 28F
Record Low: 11F (1985)

Ahh, Spring!--Where are you?

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6053067

10~ dark, but the stars are twinkling.
There are no updates on Mt. Redoubt's activity; no news is good news.
rann~it's good to have your personal update as to the gov/problems. I'd been following, too, but nothing like first-hand reports. The woolen drive was wonderful of you all. Your street/rink probably calls out to be used for skating.
MySharona~poor Lady Marg...foggy day would be a good day to stay home. Read the c/bridge this morning; good news, but do understand your hesitation.
joannabanana~keep warm:)) I have family in Prince George and it's cold there, too.
kwanjin~thanks. There is no cemetary at this location. Peek-a-boo kitty~~really cute.
marsue~love your springy photo.
One of nearly a dozen eagles~

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #6053080

As predicted the government has collapsed ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7851415.stm

Waving hi to you all - be back later :-)

Rann

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
7:16 PM

Post #6053746

20.1, cloudy and I'm freezing! lol. Supposed to get some snow here but areas around Springfield and nothern Arkansas will get hit with an ice storm.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6053894

Kiska, I've never heard of a braided riverbed. I learned something! 5.7 sounds pretty big. You must be on pretty solid ground. I love the majestic mountains setting off the bright flag!

Pepper Pepper, be careful what you wish for :o)

Kwanjin, love'' burrito'' kitty!

Marsue, anything under 68* is cold to me! Giggling, Friday doesn't look to unhappy with his nap.

Ric, a tailor. How cool. Robyn has a wonderful sewing table!

Rusty, I''m glad you got out for provisions before bad weather hit. It feels good to be prepared. I'd get out a heating pad and settle into a chair for a while. Your forcast says stay in!!

Early, I love the sun in your picture. We ran to town last Wednesday and the sun came up huge and orange. I wish I had had my camera. What a peaceful setting farmhouses are.

Seeds, wanders away, I like that!

Yayyy, Kelli got rain! Pretty little milkmaids and ceanothus. Do they have a scent? You have Kiska's landscape without the snow :o) Love the valley! Are you following trails, or do you strike out across the land sometimes?

Ric, Pepper wants your snow. Did you make a grapevine wreath? Everything awaits spring.

Kiska, mighty dark noon :o) Would you be affected by ash? You live in an interesting state.

Sharon, I wish for spring, but I'm really not ready. I have a lot to do before it gets warm! Do you drive to work when it's a dense fog advisory?

Rann, I sure hope your political troubles end and end well. So much sadness for everyone.Sending sweaters is a wonderful thing to do for other people in need. It looks very slick out there. The footprints look like they all go one way. You and the girls be careful.

Kwanjin, your enthusiatic hugs are wonderful! Awww, cute!

Joannabanana, cold cold! I hope we have none of that in Iowa!

Sharon, gary has made it this far. I hope it's over!

Marsue, gorgeous Zinnia! Sounds like getting provisions and staying in is the thing to do today!

Kiska, Love the shot of the bird! Eagle?

Rann, prayers for your country.

17*, cloudy and cold. We could have scattered flurries, but it's quiet so far.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 26, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6054128

Hi, guys, love your pics! I'm so way behind, but I'll have to comment on Kiska's vulcano and earthquake...take care, Jackie !
Joey, what cute picture of JW!
It's like spring time here, but a rainy one. It's been Dyson dark here lately and it has been raining since Saturday...ugh!Big rainstorm last night and 50 today at noon, no wind anymore and still raining.
I have a beautiful gerbera which I received from a friend yesterday, for coloring a bit these yucky days.
Adina

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 6:08 PM

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6054198

That's beautiful, Adina!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6054275

Very colorful adina!!

Still holding steady at 21.1 and cloudy. No snow yet.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6054525

Good afternoon! Adina, that's a gorgeous photo!!!

Kiska, yikes! I hope the earthquakes don't get too bad where you are. It would be very cool to see a volcano erupting - from a very safe distance.

Rann, I'm sorry for your country's continued troubles. I can only imagine how stressful that must be for all of you!! I wouldn't be surprised if the stress had a lot to do with the prevalence of cancer in your officials, too. Very sad. :-( We are praying for you all. Look how bright your sky is already!! Spring must be getting nearer. :-)

Kiska, yours is brightening up considerably, too. I love that last photo...

Sharon, you have d-mail. I'm praying for Gary, too!

(((((((hugs)))))))))) to everyone! I was soooo tired this weekend. I had a crummy nightmare last Wednesday night, and it took forever to catch back up on sleep. So after a weekend spent mostly lying around, the house is a disaster! Yikes! Now that I'm done with homeschool for the day, and the project I've been working on for tomorrow, I'm thinking about going outside to weed. :-) I suppose should, instead, behave myself (darn it!), and wash some dishes and do some laundry so this week starts out better. (pouting...) Dandelions are starting to pop out in the beds, though, and looking at them out the window is making my hands itch to get out there... Maybe tomorrow afternoon after Bible study.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 3:53pm CST (28 min ago)
Temperature 75 F 24 C
Dew Point 60 F 16 C
Humidity 59%
Pressure 30.05 in 1017.5 mb
Wind Speed 21 MPH
G 32 18 kts
G 28
Wind Dir SSE 160
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 78 F 26 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
Remarks Peak Wind: 29 kts from 150 (21:39 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 57.9F / 14.4C

Tonight Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Warmer. Lows in the lower 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6054616

Rann, prayers that you and your family stay safe and secure.

Billy, we usually stay on the trails because, where the brush is thick, the trails are the only way through. Where there is grass instead of brush, it is still usually a good idea to stay on the trail because otherwise the sharp grass seeds get in your socks. Then in the woods, there is poison oak. Mine and Kiska's scenery bear some resemblance because they are both volcanic in origin, though mine erupted under water like 10 million years ago. Most of the land around here is not volcanic in origin, but parts of the Santa Monica Mountains are.

Kiska, is there any danger to anyone if Mt. Redoubt erupts?

Fairly seasonal weather today. The jet stream must be back in its proper place.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 26, 2009
58 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 28 F
Wind: 13 mph from the NNW
Wind Gust: 20 mph
Pressure: 29.96 in (Steady)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6054710

Had a great day~my daughter and I took a drive up Hatcher Pass and it was wonderful.
The volcano is an island; but is just offshore the southern part of the Kenai Peninusula. Last time it erupted, flights were affected.
I have a bottle of ash I collected, but it's from the eruption of Mt. Spur in 1992. Ashfall depends on the winds and this area could be affected. The most recent report is that it has quieted~
Rann~hope you can "feel" all the good thoughts coming your way..
Adina~such a beautiful flower~so bright and colorful.
kelli~it was so interesting when flying over your area; it's amazing to view from thousands of feet high.
bp~yes; it's an eagle. There were about a dozen and I didn't get a singe good pic.
Coming down the hill/Hatcher Pass. The pass is closed but can travel quite a ways up. Palmer, down on the Valley floor.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6054763

Gee, Kiska, if our roads and streets looked like that, everybody would be staying at home! LOL I'm assuming you have four-wheel drive?

Currently 29F and cloudy, not yet Dyson dark but getting there. No snow or ice so far, although it was sprinkiling a bit earlier.

Marylyn: 75!! I'm soooo jealous! LOL
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6054819

Rann Your street looks a little treacherous. Im speechless about your government collapsing. It sounds like there is a plan in the works to rebuild. Our prayers are heading your way.
Rusty and joannabanana Brrrrr! Freeeezing!
Mau Thats a pretty zinnia bloom!
Kiska Love the eagle picture! Any updates on Mt. Redoubt?
Sally Yep, we go to work in the fog. Hopefully the dork in front of me has his/her lights on so I can see them.
Adina Thats a pretty daisy!
Marylyn LOL my yard is a disaster after 3 back to back freezes!

Jeff is puting because I got onto him for jumping the gun on the report. Too bad LOL! Im not wishing bad luck. I just want to be us to be 1,000% in the its over range. Gary still has that cough every 2-3 seconds.

59.5 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 53 F
Pressure: 30.30 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 3000 ft
Scattered Clouds 7500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Widespread dense fog. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Low 50. Northeast winds 5 mph.

Pea soup this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6054840

Kiska we crossed thats a beautiful scene from Hatchers pass! I see a very pretty place setting in Adinas daisy :)
Mau - I'm not ready for Spring yet LOL!

Pick me uuuuuup!

Thumbnail by MySharona

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 26, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6054875

kiska,

Your road looks like it is 100 times better than the side-streets in the entire city of Calgary. Our City Council decided they would not plow them and wait for the snow to melt. We got hit with a lot of snow in Dec and extremely low temps. The streets are now hard packed ice with big ruts. Almost impassible for small cars. Emergency Vehicle have gotten stuck etc. It's really bad. So, all the folks in Calgary are to kneel and pray for a Chinook that will last long enough to melt the hard packed icy ruts. Glad I drive a 4X4 truck. Personally, I don't think the ice will melt away until April. Ice tends to take a lot longer to melt than snow.

Have a feeling we will have a different Mayor for the next election. A lot of angry people over this

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6054972

Updated: 6 min 27 sec ago
23 F
Snow
Dew Point: 21 F
Wind: 12 mph from the NNE
Pressure: 30.26 in (Steady)
Visibility: 1.0 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1300 ft
Overcast 2000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

It got rain then sleet so it snow now lol...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 27, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6055094

Joanna, before I finished reading your post, I was thinking instead praying you should be voting for different council!

Didn't warm much today, only 6 now.
Snow flurries this afternoon.

Seems like a long time till spring.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6055425

Well compared to AK and MN it's not much but...

...winter storm warning in effect from 10 pm this evening to 12
pm est wednesday...

the national weather service in wilmington has issued a winter
storm warning which is in effect from 10 pm this evening to 12 pm
est wednesday. the winter storm watch is no longer in effect.

snow will develop across the area tonight and continue into
tuesday morning. the snow will taper off to light snow and light
freezing drizzle tuesday afternoon. however...another wave of precipitation
will overspread the area tuesday evening and continue into
wednesday morning. the precipitation tuesday night will be a
mixture of snow...sleet and freezing rain...changing to all snow
by wednesday morning. the snow will then taper off to scattered
snow showers through wednesday afternoon.

3 to 5 inches of snow accumulation will be possible through
tuesday morning. another 2 to 5 inches of snow and sleet will be
possible tuesday night into wednesday morning along with ice
accumulations of less than two tenths of an inch.

total snow and sleet accumulation for the entire event is
expected to be 5 to 8 inches.

IF this comes to pass it will be our first Major Snow event.
Or as we call it around here... The White Death! LOL!

I knew I was in trouble this morning first thing.
As I pulled on to the main road I was behind a car from GA.
Roads were a little snow covered but 15 MPH!
Finally got to the Hwy... 65 MPH all the way in... then after I exited I was behind a car from FL.
Less snow and 10 MPH!
Lucky for me I left early.
Should be better tomorrow... I doubt those two cars are even home yet... LOL!

My BIL's trying to talk us into coming out to CA.
Airfares have dropped a ton.
But we just have too much going on this winter.
Maybe next year.

Ric

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #6055627

10F
Thanks~
joanna~you could be describing the streets here, too, up till the chinook of a week ago. It caused many problems, but the side streets are in good shape, now. Hopefully it's headed your way to lend a hand.
My daughter drove her 4-wheel vehicle today. I don't have 4-wheel.
ric~that's quite a forecast~take care out there. The Other guy is always the one to watch out for.
MySharona~looks bad there, too. Cute little Peanut you've got.
Rusty~how are you doing with the snow weather?
CGardens~yes, a long time till spring.
Note the two skiiers, walking in their skiis, up the hill. They were the only ones there today.

Thumbnail by kiska

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6055669

Decent day here with temps in the mid 30's. Snow to begin here about noon tomorrow and last into wednesday evening. Amount will depend on which way the warmer air swings. Those people will have a mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain.

Rann, I heard about your country on the TV today. Each of us has our feelings about our homeland and want very much to be viewed by the rest of the world as an industrious and prosperous country. I can feel your sadness in your posts. The whole world is facing challenges in these rough economic times. I have friends and younger relatives who have worked for companies for 23 - 33 years and lost their very good jobs. My mother always told me that when a door is shut in your face, look around you for the window of opportunity that you will find opened. I never quite believed this but as I age I find it to have much truth.

Kiska, stay safe up there. I hate to hear of earthquakes followed by volcanic activity.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6055678

Well, I just hate go out 3 times for taxi job pick up and go home or at shop! I has been trying cover trash plastic bags cut bottom and cut side of the bag make wide for window it work also put box on top of my sun roof cover plastic bag to keep icy off the window...

I just hang on it and keep warming inside this time icy on road already!

took pic on my back deck...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
11:02 AM

Post #6056741

Ric Easy! Were not used to snow LO!
Kiska I bet the 2 skiers enjoyed having the mountain all to themselves!
Rusty Sure looks cold over there! Sending warm thoughts your way!

52.5 F
Fog
Dew Point: 50 F
Pressure: 30.33 in (Falling)

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning...

Today
Widespread dense fog in the morning with visibility one quarter mile or less...then becoming partly cloudy. High 70. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Sunset taken Friday night

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
11:02 AM

Post #6056742

I'm notyelling the advisories are done this way.

TOTAL SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION FOR THE ENTIRE EVENT IS
EXPECTED TO BE 6 TO 11 INCHES.

21 (Wind Chill 11)

I just talked to my lead man.
6" already and rising down south of us.
Off to work.

Ric

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #6056975

Updated: 24 min 59 sec ago
19 F
Overcast
Windchill: 7 F
Dew Point: 18 F
Wind: 13 mph from the North
Pressure: 30.27 in (Rising)
Visibility: 1.8 miles
Clouds: Overcast 1100 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Still bbbbrrrr shivers!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6057046

Good morning, everyone!

Be careful out there, Ric!

It's warm outside right now, but there's another chilly front on its way. I'll have to cover the plants again tomorrow night. There are freezing rain warnings for the suburbs north of town. We won't get that cold here. We will be happy to get any rain, though! It's been a long time since we had any.

Houston Intercontinental Airport
Lat: 29.97 Lon: -95.35 Elev: 95
Last Update on Jan 27, 6:53 am CST

Mostly Cloudy 68F (20C)
Humidity: 90 %
Wind Speed: S 8 MPH
Barometer: 30.05" (1017.6 mb)
Dewpoint: 65F (18C)
Visibility: 7.00 mi.
Today...Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. A 20 percent chance of showers in the morning...then a 30 percent chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s. Temperature falling into the mid 50s in the afternoon. South winds 5 to 10 mph in the morning becoming northwest 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight...Rain likely. Much colder. Lows in the upper 30s. North winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent in the evening increasing to 70 percent after midnight.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6057052

Good morning!

It's a beautiful day today, partly cloudy, sun is out and it snowed overnight. I have to admit I was hoping the rain we got last night would melt away the ice, so I was a bit disappointed when I looked out to see snow this morning. But, at least it's covered the ice, so we can walk safely outside now! lol

Thanks everyone for your warm thoughts my way :-) It looks like a new coalition is in the pipelines, so we'll just have to wait and hope for the best. If that works out I think it will be a good thing. One of the party in the former coalition (Concervative)had been in power for the past 17 years and was responsible for building the system that collapsed this fall. They had lost people's trust and they really need to take a break and come up with a new policy. So I'm slightly optimistic that we'll see a positive outcome from all of this. :-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7853123.stm

a story on the "good wool donation" to the UK : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090122/tuk-iceland-s-good-wool-donation-dba1618.html

Joannabanana - Hi and welcome to the forum :-) Sounds like a mess over there!

Kiska - any news on the volcano? Those skiers are so tiny - they really put the size of the slope into perspective! I don't think I'd make it up very far on skis! It looks exhausting! lol

seeds - thank you for your wise words. I always value them greatly! And they are so true. I'm positive that we will get through this and come out of it a stronger nation ... and much wiser I hope ;-) I just really hate the picture the foreign press as painted of my country in the past months ... we don't appreciate being known as the "bankrupt country" because we're not. It's really unfair to dump the dept of privately owned and run companies on the country. They're two separate things.

Sharon - hoping for a positive outcome for Gary :-) (((hugs))) I can only imagine how hard it is to wait for such news.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6057076

I took this pic this few minutes ago:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6057589

Rusty: what a neat photo--cactus inside--snow outside! LOL
Sharon: Whad'dya mean you aren't ready for Spring--"Hesh yore mouf, girl!"--LOL (For those of you who don't know--that's southern talk for "Hush your mouth")
Kiska: Yikes!--those are two really dedicated skiers!!
Marylyn: quit bragging--LOL
Quoting:Mostly Cloudy 68F

Rann: I echo everything that se_eds said to you. I hope the new government will be able to turn things around for your country. These are definitely uncertain times world-wide!

Ric: Yep, that's the way we southerners drive in snowy and/or icy weather! LOL

It's nasty out today--rain, freezing rain mix--ice covering the grass. Schools closed in some parts of the state but not here--yet. Supposed to get worse later today--may have some snow by in the morning.
Currently 32F with rain and freezing rain.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6057620

I forgot to include this photo of the birds at the feeder this morning. I took this through a window so I wouldn't scare off the birds by opening the back door. I hope my three tree roses make it through the winter--I didn't get them wrapped with foam insulation back in the fall--too late now. Those pink ribbons in the background are what I used to tie the branches of the climbing roses to the fence.

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009

Post #6057645

16.5, cloudy and icy out. We got a bit of ice last night and now it's snowing a little. Not enough to amount to anything though.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6057678

I'll catch up later but for now...

16F with 29 for the high. The sun is out. My daughter slid her car off the road last night on her way home from work. She's okay but it still scary what could have happened.
Feels like: 9F

Barometer: 30.5 in
Dewpoint: 7
Humidity: 64%
Precip last 24 hrs: 0 in
Wind: 5 mph NNW
Sunrise: 7:42 AM
Sunset: 5:38 PM
UV Index: 3 Low

Grand-niece, Rainey. Or...Crabgirl! LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6057757

LOL! Crabgirl!

Well it wasn't TOO bad going in.
Snow covered and slow till I hit the Hwy.
Then I basically had it to myself for the first 8 miles.
The last two were pretty dicey as the traffic fed on from an other Hwy.
Probably 6" on the ground but the roads have pretty much been cleared.
BUT another round is due here in a few hours.
By morning another 6" of snow and ice are due.

Ain't Winter Fun!

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6057803

I really wish we had all that snow. It has been a dry winter this year. Lots of small snows but nothing major.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #6057933

LOL at crabgirl, Celia!! She's so cute!
Ric: glad you made it to work safely--hope you make the return trip safely as well!
Pepper: if you want snow, then I hope you get some of the fluffy white stuff! Just keep it up your way! LOL

Currently 33F with a wintry mix falling. I let Friday go outside and he got away from me and ran over to the neighbor's house to visit their dog which they keep tied up inside their garage on a long leash. I had to go fetch Friday and bring him back inside and dry him off. He's been spending the last little bit inside his carrier. Bad puppy! :o((
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6057939

Hello, I am new to this thread so I won't be giving as much detail as everyone but I am interested in the weather. Here in North Texas some of us have had ice & the whole area is under ice warnings. Though Lewisville has not seen ice we are very cold. We may get ice yet as this warning goes into tomorrow.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6057947

I was told Rainey really was Crabgirl that day. LOL

Welcome, Cindy!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #6058145

Welcome Cindy!
and Joannabanana!

Well it's now turned to rain here.
Which, being 23 degrees out, is kind of weird...

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6058158

Good Afternoon! We are having only rain at the moment. The temp has been fluctuating between 32 - 36 all day. The rain this morning was freezing, but it thawed out & will probably get worse this evening. I may make some more candles today. I anticipate the electricity going off if the rain freezes the power lines. So far today we've had over 1/2" of rain which equals 5" of snow! Ric, you could share some of that snow! :D
This is what the weather channel is saying...
ICING FROM THE FREEZING RAIN WILL BE MAINLY ON ELEVATED SURFACES... BUT COULD ICE UP BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES LATE THIS AFTERNOON OR EVENING. ICE ACCRETION AROUND TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH MAY OCCUR.

Rann, From the looks of you links...I think (& pray) that things will be looking up for you, there! Change is coming for every one. :)
Kiska, Wow! You can't even see the 2 skiers until you "blow up" the pic! They look very minute! But a great shot! :D I hope that the Volcano stays quiet. That would be a scarey thing, for me.
Marsue!!!! LOL!!!--"Hesh yore mouf, girl!"-- That is Sooooo funny! :D Your Cardinals look very happy! :D I hope your Rose Trees make it ok.
Rusty, Your Cacti look very cozy in your picture! They're on the inside looking out! ;)
Cindy, Welcome to the forum...LOL! We like weather, too! :D A common bond...Stay Safe!
Ric, Since you won't share the snow...I wish you all the luck getting home safely this evening! I always found that if you are on the road by yourself, your odds of getting home safely are Much improved! ;)
Marylyn, Hope your flowers don't freeze!
Sharon! What a Gorgeous sunset! :D You Do have a knack for finding those! ;) Prayers for Gary! btw...Pea is saying "watch me Dance, mommy!" LOL
Celia! She is Sooo Cute! :D But to tell the truth she doesn't look like a happy camper. :)
Joanna, I can only hope that everyone votes this 'Joker' out of office. Why would anyone do something so foolish. Do you think that he has any trouble getting to work? :D
Adina! Wow! What gorgeous color! on your Daisy! Now, you are really wanting us all to think "spring"! ;)
Kelli! Yeah!!! You got some more rain! And look at those wild flowers! Thank you! :D

Trivia...
Although tornadoes occur at all times of year, which month is the "peak" of tornado season?
a) January
b) May
c) July
d) October

Have a Good Day, All! And stay safe!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6058234

Adina, rain sounds mighty good to me right now! I love!! gerberas! That one is beautiful!!

Marylyn, you'll feel better getting that nasty housework out of the way :o)

Kelli, we have the sharp weed seeds here too. I thought maybe snakes would be a concern. Trails are nice and it's neat to walk along something forged by someone before you. That's interesting about the eruptions.

Kiska, it's exciting, but I hope if it does erupt it doesn't cause much more than a light dusting of ash. It is hard to get an eagle. Even harder are buzzards. They take off before you get there. We had a couple on roadkill last summer. I walked down, but they left. I sat and ''hid under a tree. I wasn't fooling them. They flew over, but wouldn't come back till I left. What a neat picture!! It would make a good calendar photo!

Sharon, for some reason the word ''dork'' is making me laugh. Pea soup bad! Awww, I'll pick him up! I'm optimistic about Gary's final report!

Joannabanana, they goofed big time, I doubt it melts either. What a hardship for the little guy. I'm glad you can get around. We actually have almost clean streets and alleys for a tiny town without much money. We've done the ice ruts before tho.

Rusty, that's a triple whammy!

Country, I have so much spring planning to do, I'm not in too big of a hurry yet.

Ric, your out of towners made me smile!

Kiska, what an amazing skiing picture!

Seeds, sad times indeed. It's hard to have hope and faith, but what else is there.

Rusty, I'm glad you're able to keep the ice off the windows. Saves a lot of hard scraping when it's already cold out. At least it makes your deck pretty.

Sharon, what a lovely sky!

Oh Ric. 6'' - 11''.

Marylyn, I hope you get your rain. You have perfect temps!

Rann, if you feel good about it, so do I. Pray hard everyone!! At least all of us have positive views of you and your homeland!! I love your tiny tree!!

Rusty, LOL. I love the cactus laughing at the cold! Are they hairy or spiky?

Marsue, hope you can stay in and avoid the nasty weather. I hope your tree roses make it too. I want to see pictures when they bloom. The pink is a very pretty winter color! Cardinals are so bright. I love your round bed!

Pepper, I don't think you're going to get your 6''.

Kwanjin, she is adorable!! She does look a little crabby. I'm glad your daughter is ok.

Marsue, they ARE bad when you have to fetch them!

Welcome Cindylove!

Joey, hope you don't lose power! Making candles is a good thing! I'll guess B, May. What a beautiful waterfall!! Is that near your house? You can feel the rushing water frozen in time.

14* and a light snow almost over.

Sunset the other night.

Thumbnail by billyporter

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6058278

Still snowing lightly and is 17* outside with windchills hovering near zero. We will only get a half inch probably at most here. Further east and south of us they are getting alot more snow and ice. Springfield and Joplin are still getting slammed by the ice storm.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6058299

Welcome, Cindy! Glad to have you here on the weather thread. We have a few sayings that newcomers find strange so if you see something you don't understand, just ask. Someone will explain it to you. For instance: "Dyson dark"-- whenever Dyson posts, he will usually let us know that it is dark where he is--thus, "Dyson dark". Also, Kelli's husband refers to her friends here on the weather thread as the "peeps"(people) so if someone refers to the "peeps" they are talking about all of us.

Joey: I'm guessing May for the trivia. Wow, look at those ice "stairs". What a photo!

Cindy, we are expecting a wintry mix of ice, sleet, freezing rain and snow
depending on where in Arkansas one lives. Hope you folks there in North Texas don't get too much of the frozen stuff!

Currently we are having freezing rain--cold and dreary outside! 32 F
I can't believe I just ate a frozen fudge bar( no sugar added, of course!) Now I need some hot cocoa! LOL

Something from 2008

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6058432

welcome Cindylove~
so far behind~
The volcano continues to vent sulfur and water vapor with code level remaining orange; could erupt anytime.
9F ~ mostly cloudy and sunrise was about 45 minutes ago at 9:30am.
Take care in all that ice/snow.
So glad your daughter was ok, kwanjin. Crabgirl is precious.
Hatcher Pass Lodge area.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6058438

crossed, marsue~ love the flower/ color. Much appreciated.
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6058457

Thanks so much for the warm wlecome!! much needed here in COLD North Texas! hahaha...we haven't got the ice yet but not much farther north they have..so I am thinking we will get ours later today into tomorrow as the warning is for two days.
I am a Canadian, from Ontario, so I am used to cold & snow & I don't like the Texas heat but it is REALLY cold out there today! hahaha.
I know I am going to have fun here...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 27, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6058521

cindy, I live in Lewisville, MN. Exactly 950 miles straight north of you.

We have a picture of your water tower in our cafe. I think someone from here lives there or something like that.

Bernie
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009

Post #6058524

Cindy: we do have a lot of fun here but we also encourage one another when things aren't going so well for one of us. Lots of loving, caring people here on the weather thread. I forgot to tell you that my nickname around here is "Mau" so don't get confused when you see someone refer to me that way(It's a long story how I got that name--has nothing to do with the weather thread--LOL)
Celia: I forgot to say that I am glad your DD wasn't hurt. I am sure that was scary for both of you!!
Kiska: I hope the Lodge wasn't covered over with that much snow!!

Still freezing rain. A big, roaring fire in a wood-burning fireplace would be nice right about now! Too bad I don't have a wood-burning fireplace--just a "fake" one--it has gas logs and it is too expensive to turn it on!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6058542

Bernie: we crossed--that's amazing that there is a picture of the Lewisville, TX water tower in the cafe there in Lewisville, MN! How nice! You should send Cinday a picture of the water tower in your town to put in one of the cafes in her town. LOL

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6058597

Cactus which sitting front direct light are both hairy, spiky and needles!

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6058734

Thanks Mau... we have a wood burning fireplace but hubby doesn't want to use it as he doesn't know how to ..he's had a previous bad experience.. I am ok with not using it. we have 2 puppies to keep us warm.
I am an Ovarian cancer survivor so I am aware of the need for a pick me up. I am here for anyone who needs support!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 27, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6058751

Rusty, your cactus look like they're looking out the window. I'll bet they don't want to go out, though.

Billy, oh, yeah, snakes. I forgot about snakes. Yes, that would be a good reason to be careful in rocky areas, though snakes will lay on the trails, too. I forgot another reason for avoiding bushwacking - ticks. It will soon be tick season. Those of you who were around last year will remember that I am a tick magnet. :-(

The sun is warm but the wind is cold - not superfabulous, but I guess most of you would take it.

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on January 27, 2009
57 F
Clear
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 16 F
Wind: 24 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 34 mph
Pressure: 30.38 in (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Picture from Sunday. I think this is some kind of liverwort.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6058804

Ewwww, ticks... I feel the same way about ticks as kiska does about lizards. Ugh.

Celia, Crabgirl is adorable!

Kiska, I love your photos. :-) They aren't enough to make me want to visit Alaska during the winter, but I love looking at them! :-)

Welcome, Cindylove! :-) It's great to see another Texan on here! Texas is so big, we could have a half dozen (or more!) people from around the state giving their weather, and they'd all be different.

Sally, your sunset is beautiful!

Did you all see Melody's ice storm photos? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946772/ I've tried to describe an ice storm before to my dh, who has lived here in Houston his whole life and has never seen one. These are the best photos of one I've ever seen!

A friend from church fell and broke her foot in 2 places yesterday. I invited her kids over to play to give her a break - so now I need to finish cleaning the house. I got a start on it yesterday. (Thanks for the encouragement, Sally! :-) )

The chilly front isn't hear yet, so it's still sunny and warm out. Hopefully the rain will wait until after rush hour to begin so people can get home safely. Yuck.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6059001

Chatty bunch this afternoon. LOL

DD called me while she was waiting for one of her co-wrokers to pull her car out of the snow. I hate it when people start a conversation with..."Let me start with, 'I'm okay..."
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6059117

Yeah, Celia, that always makes you wonder, "What on earth has happened?!!"

The weather is lousy outside--a good opportunity to be "chatty". LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6059166

It's still snowing out, the roads are slick and I'm soooooo glad we only got a tiny amount of ice compared to people south and east of me.

But the upside to all this bad weather is I'm bored so I'm on here chatting. LOL. And trying not to buy more plants and failing. LOLOL
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6059339

Hi chatty group;)
Sunny, 12 lots of blue sky between the clouds.
What a storm going on down there. Take care
The lodge.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6059376

Welcome Cindy!
Rann Pretty snow pic!
Rusty Looks like you have the same amount of snow as Rann. Your cacti look very happy to be inside LOL!
Mau LOL! Love the Cardinals! Hope the roses make it through the winter.
Pepper Brrrrrrr!
Celia ROFLOL at crabgirl! She does not look pleased. Glad your DD is ok, very scary.
Mau Friday just wanted to visit his friend
Joey Going with May on the trivia. I hope you keep the electricity. Im sure you have a generator if not. Nice waterfall!
Sally Dork is a good word LOL! Pretty sunset!
Mau Beautiful rose!
Kiska- I had to laugh! If they can find the lodge because the sign is almost covered with snow!
Bernie Its a small world after all.
Kelli Liverwort sure is a lot prettier than its name!
Marylyn Ill be checking out that ice storm link shortly. I hope your friends arm heals well. How sweet of you to have her children over for a while.

I cant keep up today LOL!

55.8 F
Fog
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 52 F
Pressure: 30.24 in (Falling)
Clouds: Overcast 100 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Now
Dense fog over the coastal waters is moving back onshore with visibilities locally reduced to a half mile or less. The fog will impact the beaches and Intracoastal Waterway as well as portions of the Saint Johns River and tributaries. Motorists and boaters should remain alert for rapid changes in visibility...and allow extra time to reach their destinations. Fog will be in and out this evening then persist throughout much of the night.

Dense fog advisory in effect until 8 am EST Wednesday...

Tonight
Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Widespread dense fog. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Low 58. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Going to work this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6059402

Kiska - Gorgeous picture!

Our low is supposedly 58, but we're already below that.

The temps started dropping around 3pm. Glad I had my sweater in the car. We were supposed to hit 70, but didn't. The fog at 5pm was as bad as the fog at 8am and we were already at the same temp as this morning too.

Usually the 50's don't bother me, but it's a damp cold outside. I can't seem to get warm.

Taken on my way home around 5:10pm.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6059437

I was really doubting that it was going to get anywhere near as cold as they said... An hour ago it was still 78 and sunny. But since then wind has picked up (and changed direction), the sky clouded over, and the temperature dropped 20. And, of course, the bunnies went outside to play. LOL I'm glad they're outside... I just think it's funny that they waited until now. :-)

Joey, I'm guessing July - which probably means the May guesses are right. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:40pm CST (3 min ago)
Temperature 59 F 15 C
Dew Point 44 F 7 C
Humidity 58%
Pressure 29.97 in 1015 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH
G 20 11 kts
G 17
Wind Dir NNW 330
Ceiling 4200 ft 1280 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
Remarks Wind Shift at 23:20 GMT.
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 64.0F / 17.8C

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #6059441

Well, More snow just came now and it will be 2 to 5 inches of snow...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6059840

Rusty: that's a beautiful picture of the snow coming down!

Kiska: I don't think I could stay in that lodge. I would constantly be thinking "avalanche!" That's scary looking to me!!

Currently 33 and raining. Supposed to have ice and snow later(after midnight).

BRRR
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6060055

It's been raining here since about 3 PM.
Luckily there was enough snow on the roads for some traction.
I'm not sure how much ice we'll end up w/ by sunup.
The weather idiots say 3/4 to 1 1/2" of mix by morning.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6060122

Still snowing here and still not accumulating. Grrrr...

One member on here reported having over 4 inches of sleet at her place. She lives in Eunice, MO. Have heard also that road crews have been pulled and told to go home because the roads are too treacherous in southern MO.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6060163

For the time being...it all seems to be going north of us.
Look out Se_eds! :-O

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6060166

Sounds like S/E KY right now... they are getting very iced up.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6060223

Rusty, It looks pretty nice at your place. Snow beats ice any day! :D
Ric, Glad that you made it home ok.
Kiska, Wow! Gorgeous! I love the lodge! :D My kind of place! :D It looks like it's out in the middle of ... Alaska! :D
Sharon, That looks like some 'heavy duty" Fog! :-O btw, We don't have a generator...just a nice big fireplace, w/ plenty of wood. And if need be...go next door & get some wood from DB! ;)
Kelli, Love the Liverwort. I think I had something similar to that last spring, but couldn't get it ID'd.
Marsue, Thanks. You could come up & share the fire place! ;)
Marylyn, I Agree w/ you about the ticks! Yuuuckk! It's like saying the word 'lice' ... I immediately start to itch!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #6060414

We went over to Orcutt Ranch today.

azalea - It has chlorosis, but it looks good that way, in a way.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6060416

camellia

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #6060563

Badseed, from just east of Cincinnati, was on chat tonight. They are snowed in & no school there tomorrow.
We are below zero again tonight. Will it ever end ? They keep telling us it will warm up, maybe by July!
We are off to work at a house tomorrow. Will be putting crown molding on the cabinets. Installing a small cabinet & some odds & ends.

Pictures tomorrow night.

Bernie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
8:49 AM

Post #6060934

Good morning!

It's Dyson Dark, 34F and slightly breezy this morning. I think it's cloudy and the forecast says more snow today ... sunrise is at 10:19 and sunset at 5:02 pm. We're really starting to see a big difference in daylight - it's still bright at 5 pm! :-)

Great photos everyone! :-)

Hi to Cindy! :-)

Hope you all have a GREAT day! :-)

Rann
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
10:58 AM

Post #6061007

Rusty Thats a great picture of the snow! BTW Hows is our big boy Rusty?
Ric Wow You and Rusty have a winter wonderland!
Joey Whew - You lucked out on the storm missing you. The fog was really bad yesterday. About as thick as Ive ever seen it here. Post a picture of your fireplace!
Kelli Beautiful blooms!
Bernie - Hang on! Spring is on it's way!

61.2 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 59 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 3.8 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Falling)
Visibility: 7.0 miles
Clouds: Few 400 ft
Mostly Cloudy 7500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Mostly cloudy with patchy dense fog in the morning...then partly cloudy and breezy with a 20% chance of showers. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times in the morning. High 74. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph.

Well, it's going to be a nasty humid day here. Yuck. I opened the back door expecting cool air and got warm and moist - yes that was a whine LOL! Another cold front moving through tonight and this weekend. Not too cold. I'll be able to do a little yard work.

Oh, I forogt to mention Jeff surprised me with tickets to see The Eagles tonight! My all time favorite band! I'm so excited LOL! I saw them when I was 17 which was a looong time ago. We'll be heading into Jax around 4:00 for dinner then the show. I wonder if I can take my camera...

Local airport on my way home last night

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #6061024

Seed lives a few miles from most of the guys I work w/.
Very rural, Very prone to closings.
W/ 6 daughters she'll go crazy! LOL!

The temps stayed up above freezing most of the night.
My lead man was on the road when I spoke to him a few minutes ago.
Roads are just slushy.
Are Directv dish is frozen though.

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6061093

She said she had seven now. Some friend stayed with them to go to a sports game & got snowed in at their house.
I think she can handle that bunch! She was directing traffic pretty good when we stopped there last fall.

-1.1 this morning. I haven't stuck my head out to see what else is going on.

Our weather guy is making fun of closing schools because of 2" snow in Washington DC.

Have a Great Day!
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #6061097

I needed something to remind me there is more to life than snow!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #6061128

Wow Bernie - Is that an apple blossom tree? It's gorgeous!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6061382

Flowering crab. A friend of mine gave it to me a number years ago. He later died in a plane crash. A single engine he was piloting. He loved adventure & daring things. He was doing some kind of dive when the engine stalled.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6061752

Updated: 15 min 26 sec ago
11 F
Clear
Windchill: -2 F
Dew Point: 9 F
Wind: 9 mph from the SW
Pressure: 30.22 in (Rising)
Visibility: 6.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
(Above Ground

Nice Sun came out good hopeful it melt little bit...

As you see background of Rusty hop like rabbit!...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6061988

Wow! Sharon, that really bad. How long is that fog expected to last? It's been, what, 3 days now? Any word from the radiologist yet?

Rusty sure loves the snow, doesn't he? LOL

That is one beautiful tree, Bernie! We have 2 across the street but not as large. I can't wait any longer. Can we have Spring now? Please?

Seven girls? Are they teenagers?

Kelli, thanks for the flower pics. Those are ver pretty.

25F with 35 and more snow on the way today and tonight.
Feels like: 11F

Barometer: 30.3 in ↑
Dewpoint: 12
Humidity: 52%
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 18 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:41 AM
Sunset: 5:40 PM

Mr. Casual.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6062001

9 Dark~ first cup of coffee is nearly brewed.
Mt. Redoubt could erupt at anytime, according the morning news.
I need to correct that the volcano, Mt. Augustine, is an island. Redoubt is on land, across Cook Inlet from Kenia/area.
They say the wind is blowing this direction at there could be ashfall, should it erupt this morning.
What a mess of cold, snow and ice down there~be careful of the "other" vehicle.
Have a great evening, MySharona.
Bernie~gorgeous
Rusty~I like the shadows on the snow in your photo.
kelli~oh so pretty~
rann~the longer daylight will be so welcome after the winter you've experienced.
9:20 am - Yesterday's sunrise.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6062009

kwanjin~crossed~ "Mr. Casual", indeed:))
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6062023

http://www.avo.alaska.edu/volcanoes/cook_inlet.php
Hopefully this link will go the map/locations of the many volcanoes here in the Cook Inlet area.
Mt. Redoubt is the now active.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009

Post #6062027

It works.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6062045

Good~thanks.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6062052

Breezy and sunny at 26*. Light dusting of snow on the ground even though it snowed all day and night. Used to be if it snowed that long it would accumulate.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6062286

We've gotten a very geneous helping of snow today, about 2-3 inches and it's still snowing. 5 pm and still daylight alhough it's getting dim :-)

Kiska - hope the volcano won't cause much damage. Beautiful photo :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6062433

Bernie Thats a nice way to remember your friend.
Rusty Rusty is hysterical!
Celia The fog was supposed to last through this morning, but the winds starting picking up and blew it out. Still no news from the radiologist. Im getting upset about this. Mr. Casual indeed!
Kiska Another beautiful picture! Keep us posted on Mt. Redoubt thats scary.
Pepper All your snow went to Ranns house LOL!

73.6 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 69 F
Wind: 5.9 mphfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 73 F
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

There are 2 small clouds out there. It's a beautiful Spring day here! Jeff and Peanut playing.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6063377

Grrrr!!! Vicious dog attack! LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6063562

Joey: even a photo of a roaring fire would make me feel warmer right about now! LOL
Kelli: the azalea is still pretty even if it is "sick"
Bernie: gorgeous crabapple tree- a nice way to remember your friend.
Rusty and Rann: nice wintertime scenes
Sharon: that's some fog! Do you have a sign in your yard that says "Beware of vicious dog!"? LOL Enjoy dinner and the concert tonight!
Kiska: I had no idea there were so many volcanoes in Alaska. You are very close to most of them!

Our ice storm is over and we didn't have to worry about it much in our area. However, a lot of folks in the northern counties of our state are without power and trees are ice-covered and tree limbs are faling everywhere. It's a mess up there!
Currently 31F with a low of 22F forecast for tonight.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 28, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #6063605

Wow, you all have so much snow while here is raining...ugh! We're having a powerful rainstorm, the wind blows very hard.
Kiska, your weather is great and the pics are gorgeous!
Bernie, thanks for bringing a bit of spring, great picture!
Sharon, it's so nice to see the sun again. Such cute picture!
Kelli, thanks for the flower pics. My azaleea is blooming too, with all the yucky weather outside !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6063978

That's great that you can keep an azalea happy in the house.

Dry and windy

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on January 28, 2009
72 F
Clear
Humidity: 17%
Dew Point: 24 F
Wind: 20 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 28 mph
Pressure: 30.14 in (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

This is Isabelle

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 28, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6063980

and this is Crackers. When the night temperatures get warmer, they are going out into the pond.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6064001

How pretty! I love Isabelle's coloring.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6064691

4" of snow and an inch of rain/ice.

So many people in the Kentucky area are without heat and light tonight. Locals new say over 500,000. Temps are in the low 20's for tonight with high's of 30 for the next two days. Looks like the ole driveway will be snowcovered for a while.

Wind is picking up and gusty but we are lucky that we have electric and TV uninterrupted.

Stay safe and warm.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6064858

6" of snow then 2" of ice then 6" of snow equals...

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6064872

We're OK, House is OK, Fence was a bit dinged...JUST missed the new Room...

Add sun to the Equation and

Magic!

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009

Post #6064889

Glad the tree didn't hit the house!! We had damage like that in 02. So I know what you all are going thru. Be careful out there on the ice!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6064905

Here it is at it's worst... 6" of snow in less than 3 hours.

We were at Snow Emergency Level 3
(This happened AFTER I left for work...)
Level 3 is anyone caught driving is subject to arrest.
It expired 3 minutes AFTER I got home... LOL!
Need to get around in snow... Buy a Ford Escort!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #6065033

19 F and dropping tonight. We received 18" of heavy icy snow here since last evening. It finally stopped around 5:00 pm. I shoveled for almost 3 hours and still have another hours worth to go. I'm whipped! A good job for tomorrow. It's like shoveling sugar. We were lucky. I'd much rather have the snow then the heavy ice and all the tree damage.

Ric...that sunny pic is stunning! Glad to hear there was not too much damage. I have a couple of brothers in Lexington Ky. Looks like they got hammered pretty badly.

Kiska...love the pastel hues.

Joey...I was looking at the weather map last night and thinking, "Hmmmm, looks like we might get lucky and most of the storm will pass south of me." Wrong!!!

Photo: Snow piled anong the walkway to the back deck/door. Some of this evenings handiwork .

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 9:43 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 29, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6065153

If you want to see the pictures of the ice storm in KY, check this out.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/946772/
I know most of these people from KY RU.
Bernie
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2009
5:28 AM

Post #6065537

My parents, in southeastern Ohio, have no power from the same storm, so they are staying in a motel in Marietta tonight. Hopefully Dad can get the used wood stove that they recently bought but haven't had time to assemble yet, hooked up and working. They can't afford to stay in a motel for too many days.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #6065953

Good Morning! Well the storm missed us, Thank Goodness! We got 1" & a little more in rain. Love snow, But hate ice.
Ric, So glad that the tree missed your house & there was no major damage! Now that looks so much like a 'white out'! and Love that 'Magic'! :D
E_B! No wonder your 'pooped'! You did better than any snow blower that I have seen! With all the exercise that you get, I hope you're not sore this morning! ;D Hope your brothers are alright.
Marylyn, I hope that your dad can get the wood stove up & running (burning) soon. I may have to go get them! :D It's only about a 3 hour drive.
Kelli, Love the fish...are they Koi or Gold Fish?
Adina! An Azalea inside! Wow!
Kiska, Love the 'aspen glow'! Gorgeous! :D Thanks for the avo. link. Very interesting.
Bernie, What a lovely tree! We needed that! Thanks! :D
Marsue, We didn't need the 'roaring fire' yesterday, but I will gladly take a fireplace pic for ya! ;) But first I have to get all of my flowers out of the way! LOL
Sharon! LOL Peanut looks like she is getting ready to 'sing'! :D
Celia...'Mr.Causual' Indeed! LOL
Sally, Thanks, but it's not here at the house...it's at Sandstone Falls in the Gorge.
Dyson, How are things down your way?

The answer to the trivia is...B
May is traditionally the peak month of tornadoes, although April is a big month especially for the South.

Ooops almost forgot the weather! LOL!
Mostly Cloudy: F
Feels like: 26F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 27
Humidity: 80%
Precip last 24 hrs: 0.21 in
Wind: 6 mph W
Sunrise: 7:29 AM
Sunset: 5:44 PM

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6066194

Updated: 34 min 13 sec ago
24 F
Freezing Fog
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 23 F
Wind: 13 mph from the SSW
Pressure: 30.20 in (Rising)
Clouds: Overcast 100 ft
(Above

Later on this afternoon will be nice sun come out...

Here's the cacti's gang which it shadow before...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6066204

More cacti's

Thumbnail by JuJu55

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6066341

27F with 37 for the high. Not much snow fell.
Feels like: 20F

Barometer: 30.5 in ↑
Dewpoint: 19
Humidity: 69%
Wind: 6 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:40 AM
Sunset: 5:41 PM

Having a bad hair day.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6066491

OMG The concert was Most Excellent! They sound just like they did when I was 17. Its just amazing. The lighting, visuals, everything. Awesome awesome awesome! They played from 8-11:45. The arena was sold out. I tried to take some pics with my cell, but they didnt come out very good at all.

It was pouring rain when we left the arena. Jeff told me to take my umbrella so I stuck a little one in my purse. We were soaked anyway because we had to walk a mile to the truck. There were a lot of soaked and happy people on Jaxs road last night. The fog started rolling in around midnight. We got home at 1am. So glad I took a vacation day today!

Mau Glad that ice storm missed you. I was concerned when I first heard about it.
Adina - My azaleas are blooming too!
Kelli Isabelle and Crackers have such gorgeous coloring!
Se_eds I am so glad you still have heat and electricity. Hope you are doing well today.
Ric That tree fell in just the right place! So glad it missed the house and the new room. The sound of it falling must have been crazy. That is a beautiful magic picture! Glad you werent caught driving in during the warning!
E_B Nice job on the shoveling! I see youre a Steelers fan LOL!!
Marylyn How are your parents doing today?
Joey Glad that storm missed you too!
Rusty You cacti look very happy and healthy! I hope you see some sun today!

55.8 F
Rain Mist (just rain no mist!)
Dew Point: 53 F
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 500 ft
Overcast 900 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Now
Through 10:45 am...a wide band of rain with embedded moderate showers continues to move across northeast Florida. The area is moving northeast to east at 5 to 10 mph. Areas of moderates showers will produce ponding water on roadways...the combination of rain and fog will enhance dangerous driving conditions.

Today
Cooler. Showers in the morning...then showers likely in the afternoon. Locally heavy rainfall possible in the morning. High 58. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain near 100%.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6066493

LOL Celia - Mee too!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6066911

Well this morning was a nightmare!
Not too bad till I hit about 6 miles from here at work.
Then solid 3 lanes of glare ice or packed snow/ice.
My leadman had called me just before I left home to warn me.
5 MPH for 4 miles was the best I could do.
They finally just got it back under control at noon... 5 hours later.

25 F w/ a very light almost misty snow falling.
We won't break freezing before Sunday.
Then 46F and maybe some rain...
flooding sounds like it's on the way.

e_b that's a gorgeous photo of WAY too much snow! lol!

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6067080

Wow, EB and Ric: you guys have really had it! Ric glad you made it into work okay.
Kelli: pretty fish
Adina: pretty azalea. You will have to take another picture of it when it is in full bloom.
Sharon: glad you enjoyed the concert so much that getting wet didn't bother you! LOL
Celia: Bad hair day! LOLOL
Rusty: cacti are nice as long as you keep your fingers away from those spines!

It is warming up here--heading for the mid-40's--a real "heat wave". LOL Sunshine is great!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6067337

26*, sunny and a cold wind that will give you a headache if you're out too long. I'm glad I did outdoor jobs early this morn.

Kelli, those are quite a few good reasons to stay on the trail!!

Marylyn, thanks, the sunset sure had a variety of colors. How sad for the woman who broke her foot and how kind of you to let her girls play. I'm sure she felt good about that!

Kwanjin, smiling over daughters opener.

Sharon, I don't know which is worse ice fog or dense fog, but I think dense.

Hang in there Rusty! How is Rusty dog liking the weather?

Take care all of you in the ice and snow!!

Rann, wishing a great day to you too!

Oh Sharon! What a great suprise. I love The Eagles!

Ric, as soon as I saw Badseed and no school, I thought the same thing! She's a pretty good Mama tho!

Kiska, I hope you get thru the eruption ok!

Adina, I'd feel very cozy in your house with all that rain!

Kelli, gorgeous goldfish and cracking up over Crackers name!

Ric, equals a mess! Wow! You were lucky! Well, it is beautiful!

Early, no wonder you're wore out. I hope your back is OK! Those piles are a kids dream hill!

Rusty, love your cactus!!

Sharon, how wonderful!! I'm glad you got to go and you'll be floating on air for a week!! Jeff can do no wrong for a while!

Oh Ric, what a wasted day! I'm glad you can drive!

Marsue, great weather!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 29, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #6067480

I'm glad all of the peeps are safe and sound.

Joey, the fish are goldfish. We have one koi and will not get another. They are hard on the platns.

Guess what? Windy and dry. Remember, this is the "rainy season". You would never have guessed if I hadn't told you, huh?

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on January 29, 2009
71 F
Clear
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 19 F
Wind: 23 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 30 mph
Pressure: 30.22 in (Steady)
(Above Ground Level)

The jet stream is afraid of me. (Image from weatherunderground and not property of me.)

This message was edited Jan 29, 2009 11:47 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6067571

42.8* and gusty. Sun is shining which helps a bit but that wind is cold!! Will be in the high 50s on Saturday.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 29, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6067990

I must be officially an "Old Geezer" now. I signed up for SS today.

Funny day here. Last night it was 27, this morning 19 & cloudy. Now partly cloudy, windy & still 19. They keep saying warm up, but 19 isn't even normal high for this time of year.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6068001

It's in the 40s here and I was wearing a tshirt with a light weight sweater. LOL. After all the cold we have had it's almost hot now.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #6068156

Ric Wow you guys stay safe and warm. Praying you dont get any flooding.
Mau Jeff bought me a t-shirt and program, they were in a plastic bag. I stuck the bag under my shirt too keep any rain from getting on the program.
Sally Yeah Jeff did good! He kept telling me he couldnt find any tickets and they were sold out. I was so bummed out. He got me good on that one!
Kelli Are the Santa Anna winds keeping the rain away fro your area?
Bernie LOL!

57.4 F
Overcast
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 51 F
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1400 ft
Mostly Cloudy 4200 ft
Overcast 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Freeze watch in effect from late Friday night through Saturday morning...

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Colder. A 40% chance of showers in the evening. Low 43 coast. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Brought the orchids back in. We received a full 3" of rain since last night. YAY! It's been a long time since we've had a good thorough soaking

Prissy enjoying the Spring like weather yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 29, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6068326

I don't think the winds in themselves keep the rain away. The winds are just a side effect of a larger weather system that does not bring rain.

Picture from yesterday. Not too exciting, but it is something different for the snowbound, I guess.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6068415

Dark - it was a nice, sunny, relatively warm day after two days of cold rain.

Best regards to all and those of you with tricky driving conditions please be careful.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6068507

CountryGardens, - join the club with the SS. Our 4 inch of snow and 1 inch of ice did not move or melt today. Except for my husbands footsteps to the mail box, it is pristine. Not supposed to get above freezing until Sunday. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009

Post #6068879

Kelli not exciting but not white either! lol!

The drive home was a snooze... almost cleared off all the way...the Hwy at least.
The roads around here range from fair to 9" of iced up snow.
But it will pass quickly... this isn't the snow belt.

Here's a yesterday shot of my car.

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
10:51 AM

Post #6069837

Kelli - I 'm always surprised at how dry it is there.
Hi Dyson!
Ric - Your car looks so lonely all by itself in the parking lot! Where is everyone?

48.9 F
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 48 F
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 28 F
Wind: 0.0 mphfrom the WNW
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Freeze warning in effect from 5 am to 9 am EST Saturday...

Today
Mostly cloudy. A 30% chance of showers in the morning...then becoming partly cloudy and breezy. High 58. Northwest winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 25 mph.

One of my friends went on a weekend cruise to the Bahamas. She's one of "those" people that tans in 3 seconds. She'll be a gorgeous golden color on Monday and we'll all be pale and ashy in comparision LOL!

Sylvester

This message was edited Jan 30, 2009 7:17 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #6069847

LOL it does doesn't it!
There are only 4 of us that work there on our shift. (only 3 that day)
3 on the 3rd shift.
That will change when the FL Power Wind Generators get here.
We may get 5 more people.

27 (Wind Chill 16) Cloudy again today.
We might break freezing tomorrow.
Still calling for 47 Sunday.

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 30, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6069952

-2 again this morning.

Going to Albert Lea for lumber today. I need Knotty Alder & Soft Maple for upcoming jobs.
Will be stopping at a person's house to talk about an entertainment center.
Might even get a haircut.

Bernie

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009

Post #6070768

25F with 42 for our high today. I may get out and do some more clean-up in the gardens.
Feels like: 15F

Barometer: 30.7 in ↑
Dewpoint: 18
Humidity: 68%
Wind: 9 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:39 AM
Sunset: 5:42 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 30, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6072158

Greetings from THE windy city.

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on January 30, 2009
77 F
Clear
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 24 F
Wind: 16 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 30 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6072329

I am sorry I have not been online for awhile, hubby was off Tues & Wed due to the ice storm we got, & he usually hogs the computer! hahaha ..our worst day was Wed but hubby was off 2 days as were he works got icy to the point where the city practically shut down.
Now we are going back into the 80's by tomorrow!!!!!! Stay in texas long enough & the weather is sure to change every half hour!!! hahaha
Seeing all your photos of sunshine is making me "itch" to get out into my garden..I keep telling myself.."PATIENCE>>PATIENCE!" hahahahaha
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6072883

Not much melting here - temp got up to 32 degrees and some sporadic sunshine. Did melt one track open on the driveway. Still couldn't get the little truck out, but the Jeep just walked out like it always does. Supposed to be cold with flurries tomorrow then up into the 40's on Sunday. Sure hope that is true as I am running out of Starlight mints (quit smoking in Dec.) - course I am also out of cigarettes. Winter woes - not complaining as we DO have electric, TV and heat and plenty of food.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #6073196

Welcome to the "old geezers" club, Bernie, or in my case, the "old geezerettes"! LOL (Is that why I liked the movie "grumpy old men" so much?)

It was so much warmer here today--the temp thingie in my car said it was 60F this afternoon. I believe it, even though the sun didn't shine all that much, it sure was nice to have some warmer weather.
Forecast for tomorrow is more of the same (Forgive me for gloating!)

Going to my daughter's house for a few days tomorrow. I don't spend as much time online when I am up there so I may be AWOL for a few days. In anticipation of our trip, I took Friday to the groomers. He returned all ready for Valentine's Day!

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6073257

We reached high 40s today but it felt a little chilly, not warm. lol. Tomorrow will be in the 60s. Whoo hoo!!

Mau, Grumpy and Grumpier Old Men are some of my favorite movies. I never get tired of watching them. Friday looks nice and dapper too!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #6073388

Warming here! up to 23 now. May thaw tomorrow.

Today I walked into a Pizza Ranch Buffet for lunch. Went right ahead & paid full price, never thinking about Sr price. I feel like 30, so maybe that's the problem. Would have saved only 50. Food was worth the full price anyhow.

I had lots of problems at the wood store. They were out of Soft Maple. Then the other guy came in & showed me to some that was 12 ft instead of 8 ft. Had to talk the first guy into giving it to me for the 8 ft price.
I needed Knotty Alder. None on the shelf! #1 guy says there's some out back. He came with some on a forklift. Not near enough & lots of should have rejected boards. Then there was another small pile with a few I could use. I took the whole lot & still was short of what I need. I'm not sure, but I think I got a break on the price.
Next I needed some Knotty Alder crown molding. You guessed it, none on hand. Wouldn't be so bad, but the place is 70 miles from me.

Next I drove to Mankato & visited the countertop guy. He had some renament pieces of Corion. I picked out 3 pieces we are going to use for Router table tops. I saw in a magazine that it works good. My son started working on it this evening & said it should work great. The wood tables we had would bow & make it hard to do a good job. The store bought router tables are to small & flimsy to use. Things need to stay put when we make raised panel doors.

Almost forgot, I stopped at the person's house about the entertainment center. They are definately going to have us build it. They have been so busy they haven't had time to buy the components. So we should be starting it in a few weeks.

Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6074173

Currently 1 outside...BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Here's our street yesterday.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6074218

Here's work

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6074228

Our Hibiscus

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6074238

Sunrise yesterday

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6074245

A new friend

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #6074949

Bright, Sunny, 30deg, feels like 22deg. windy.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6074958

41 Checking thermometer to make sure it isn't broke.
Sunny.
Windy, of course!
Cold front coming in tomorrow.

Results of the stop at countertop shop.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6075056

21 (Wind Chill 10) here Bernie! LOL!

Granite? VERY Nice!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6075230

Corion or however you spell it. Router cuts it & drill with high speed bits. Supposed to stay flat. I bought 3 pieces for 3 different tables, 50 bucks total.
Beats $500 or so for the manufactured tables that are to small anyway!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6075317

That's an AMAZING Price!
We used it in our Cab shop when it first came out.
A 5' x 10' slab was $500.00 our price.
Suggested retail is $27.50 a square by Dupont now.
It's actually fairly easy to work... just a very expensive mistake...lol!
That makes a Killer Router table!

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2009

Post #6075420

These were leftover cuts. He said they have been laying around for years. He hasn't sold any Corion in years. All stone stuff now. More money around, apparently.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009

Post #6075421

Updated: 56 min 24 sec ago
60 F
Clear
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 29 F
Wind: 17 mph from the SSW
Pressure: 30.02 in (Falling)
(Above Ground

Nice Mild Day! Yaaa! Rusty got all the muddy his feet! Oh boy! I just hate the big messy in kitchen sooner as I get my garden clean up all the dead branches... I just got 2 green house shelfs out and hook up the shelf... Get ready for seeds sow in egg cartons and some cans, too...

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

January 31, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6075550

Great pics everyone! The rain stopped, but it got colder and it snowed a bit last night. Another azaleea picture.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kiska

(Zone 3b)

January 31, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #6075580

0F Sunny ~ volcano remains at code Orange.
Catching up is hard to do~but enjoyed trying.
Taken a few days ago; looks the same today.

Thumbnail by kiska

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #6076260

Well, we have some water puddles! 42 most of the afternoon. Lots of snow around, but it's all in drifts in ditches, groves, etc. So fields are showing pretty clear.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6076329

19 this evening with a high of 36 expected tomorrow. Highs back in the teens again by mid-week though. We have had an additional 6' or so of snow since Wednesdays big storm but it was light fluffy stuff--much easier on the back!

billyporter...When my kids were little I used to dig tunnels in the snow piles for them to play in. Seems long ago.

sharona...I was trying to figure out why you assumed I'm a Steelers fan. It must have been the "gold" porch light in the photo. It's actually a bug light but I guess it does do double duty. BTW, I am a Steelers fan! Not any bugs this time of year anyway!

Ric...The series of photos you have been posting is really nice!

Wow, that ice storm really tore up the middle of the country! It hasn't been warm enough to melt the ice and power could be out for weeks. They say another storm is brewing and might hit next week.

Photo: My bird feeder has never been as busy as it has this year. The hard winter has made it hard for them to use their normal food sources. I dump in a 5 gallon bucket of seed and a few suet cakes about twice a week.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #6076337

Here's a little winter/summer comparison. January flew past, soon it will be spring!

Here's a winter/summer comparison taken from the same spot.

Jan. 09

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6076343

And here's the same spot during a typical July.

early_bloomer

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6076584

64 deg right now, Dyson Dark and really windy. Our high was 68 but it was a little hard to enjoy with all the wind blowing.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6076589

Absolutely legendary weather

Updated: 4:51 PM PST on January 31, 2009
74 F
Clear
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 27 F
Wind: 6 mph from the SSW
Pressure: 29.99 in (Rising)
(Above Ground Level)

California Citrus State Historic Park

Thumbnail by Kelli

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6076652

6 degrees on the porch this AM. Got up to about 28 today, some sun, but not enough to melt much. Did get the truck out onto the bare highway and that was a nice break. Supposed to be in the mid 40's tomorrow and then could get hit with another storm Monday night

My gardens are buried under about 4 inches of snow and ice.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6076666

Kelli...Your beautiful photo has snow in it just like mine. Somehow though, yours looks more inviting!

early_bloomer
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6076693

Yep, you finally got a snow picture from me.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6076702

This is a picture I took especially for "the peeps". It is a Buddha's hand citron.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6076704

e_b I love that bird shot!
Lots of little hunger critters out there now.
Great before and after ...
I like the before better! lol!
I'm gonna have to try Pokers again for sure.
After the Hurricane and the Ice Storm we should have enough sun.

Kelli there's nothing like Palm and Snow shots!
Love the view.

Kiska spectacular!
Good luck w/ the Volcano... save some ash for us!

Adina soon our Azaleas will be blooming here... hopefully.

I shot about 700 photos today.
I was out for about 5 hours total. From Zero up to about 28 degrees...
then falling ice and dripping water made it a bit uncormfortable
About 1/2 the shots are ice closeups... I'll be weeks editing them all.
When I'm finished I'll post a link to my album.

Here's a non-ice shot from this morning.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6076707

Hi se_eds...It's up to 21 here now. The highest it's been all day. Looks like tomorrow's warm-up has arrived.

early_bloomer
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 1, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6076709

I love cardinals.

This is a flying dragon. It is a citrus relative that is used for root stock in grafting. As you can see, it is deciduous.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6076725

That's a COOL looking tree Kelli!
I may just need to get one of those.

The Cardinals are already marking their territory.
It's a songfest out there.
We probably have 5 mated pairs right near here.
The males are definitely a sight in all this white.

Ric
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2009
6:33 AM

Post #6077511

We have flying dragons, too. They are planted right outside our kitchen window. Ours are quite a bit smaller than your, Kelli, and have never bloomed, but then they get very little sun where they are. My very first post on Dave's was a thread in the plant id forum asking what they were. :-) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/490160/ Weeding around them is quite tricky! I'm LOL'ing at the "snow picture" comment. :-)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 1, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #6077836

Go to February's thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/948202/

Bernie
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6084315

Oh Henry I love cardinals...especially against a snow background. When I used to live in canada seeing the cardinal always put me in a good mood. I am fortunate that there are a few around here in North Texas all year round most times.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 3, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6087000

I like to hear about your shopping and cabinet making, Bernie. Great idea top put the Corian on the router table.
Loving all the winter time shots, everyone--so pretty- and the cardinals are gorgeous!
EB, Nice comparison winter/summer shots, too, but I like summer better! LOL
Kelli: flying dragons and Buddha's hand--WOW!
Kiska: I heard on the news that the folks in Anchorage were stocking up on emergency supplies in anticipation of the volcano eruption!
Pepper: I tell Friday that you think he looks "dapper". :o))
I drove up here to Harrison to my daughter's house on Saturday--a beautiful day for a drive--the sun was shining and it was in the high 50's. . However, the ice storm certainly left behind its "calling card"--thousands of trees damaged or uprooted. It looked as if a giant tornado had come through most of north Arkansas and ripped out the tops of most of the trees! Terrible! My daughter's lawn, front and back, was literally covered with tree limbs and more limbs hanging from the tops of the trees. They were fortunate (thank You, Lord!) that none of the limbs fell on their house. They had an estimate from a tree guy of $2500.00 dollars to remove the limbs but their church's disaster assistance team came yesterday with chain saws and rakes and cleared the whole yard out plus raked up all the leaves that had fallen previously and they were gone in a matter of 3-4 hours! and all for FREE!!
I took pictures but the corner broke off the little card "thingie" and now it won't fit back into my camera. I had already uploaded most of the photos on the card to my computer at home but I suppose the latest photos are lost. I have another card at home but I did not bring it with me.
:o((

There are still a lot of people in this area without power but the utility companies have many trucks and workers out trying to get the power back on to everyone.

The sun is shining and the current temp is 36 with a high in the 40's later today.

Everyone have a good day!
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #6098270

Well..after a week of freezing temps we are in the 50's today. It is getting windier though, but temps are to be in the 70's for awhile. My spring bulbs are starting to come through the soil!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6099423

Thread Closed:

Hey guys and gals we've moved the thread to here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/948202/

Ric

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America