We must really be farmers now!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I love gardening and this year I have ambitious plans to really expand my plantings. I have a small flock of chickens that will soon grow due to the perseverance of my little broody hen. We have a herd of horses. But yesterday we became real farmers when we bought not one but two PIGS! Yes, we have ventured into the world of swine. Pigs are nothing new to DH and I. We both grew up raising a pig each year to put in the freezer. But this is the first pig adventure for our DGS. Both the pigs are young. One is a sow and the other a boar. We are not sure of their contributions yet. We may eat one and sell the other. Or sell one, breed the other and sell and eat the offspring. It's all up in the air at the moment. They are definitely not pets though they will be treated with all kindness and will be very much appreciated for what they add to our lives.

So, without further ado (sp?) I give you Spare Rib and Pork Chop

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Congratulations! I think the names are good :)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Spare Rib is the male and he is pretty tame. Pork Chop needs a bit of work as she is a tad afraid. They seem to like their new digs. The horses are scared of them except for Coffee and Max. They couldn't care less.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Love those names. You have quite an imagination when it comes to names. With so many critters to name over time I can't imagine how you do it. I could barely think of names for my three kids.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It is a challenge at times. Some of them name themselves. LOL

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, if it were me they would have to name themselves or they might wind up with numbers.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My best friend back home has 3 DGSs that are eacha a year apart. Their names are Austin John, Adam John, and Aaron John. I call them 1 ,2 and 3 in the order of their births. LOL

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I guess the next one can be John Boy and the next one John John. I never thought of that or my kids would probably have similar names to that now.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Having the same middle name as the father for all the boys and as the mother for all the girls is a tradition in their fanily.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Seems a little bit unimaginative to me but everyone to his/her own notions I say. I didn't ask them what to name my kids so they shouldn't have to ask me what to name theirs. >>)

Clarkson, KY

The Amish around here all do it that way. And they all tend to use the same names. And there aren't nearly enough last names. John John Miller and John Andy Miller and John Henry Miller would be three different Miller families, three different Johns. Then there's John John Yoder and John John Miller and John John Mast...

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

How terribly confusing. It would get to the point of almost having to call them all by nick names or numbers so everyone wouldn't answer at the same time.

Clarkson, KY

THEY seem to do fine with it ----the rest of us not so much, lol.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I can well imagine. My sis and I made a trip to Scotland several years ago and were in some of the really small towns. We looked in the phone book to see if anyone with our family names lived in some of them and it was unbelievable how many people in the books had the same names. The locals know who they all are by their addresses but we surely didn't! They were carrying on the family names for sure!.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Grownut, that is interesting with the Amish names. It has always been common in this area that folks are called by first and middle names. John Richard or Beth Anne... how many times have you heard of southern names like Billy Bob. I've always wondered of the origin and now? Who knows.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 7:12 AM

Clarkson, KY

Oddly, a lot of the Amish traditions I've run into since moving to KY correspond with the 'southern' traditions I grew up with. It's quite possibly just old English. "John John's Son" has been around a while, to say the least...

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

This thread has wandered a bit from where it started, as are the pigs who will need a good fence to keep them from following their noses. It is realistic to give them meat names when they might end up on your plate.

Clarkson, KY

Sorry, Mary...am I following my nose too much?? lol.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Actually, They are very easy to keep in with one strand of hot hire. Pigs are way too smart to get shocked more than once or twice. Not dumb like cows.

Clarkson, KY

Which strand, Cajun? serious ? here...

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

A strand of hot wire low enough for the pig to hit it's nose on it. It would depend on the size of the pig but you don't want it to be able to walk out from under it.

Clarkson, KY

My pregnant Boer Does can walk under a strand of hot wire 3 inches from the ground...we really need THICK wire...at least pigs don't grow too thick a winter coat, I hope...hmmm, pigs in winter...?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Goats are notorius for escaping. That is one reason I don't have any.

Clarkson, KY

After goats pigs should be easy, riiiight??.....??

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Easy as falling off a log!

Clarkson, KY

I can do that....

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Well, when we first got pigs many many moons ago, we definitely fell of a log! We put up cattle fence and three strands of hot wire. The piglets were about 7 or 8 weeks old and had never been around an electric fence. They got zapped and instead of backing up they went through the fence and jumped through the larger sized holes in the cattle fence. It must have been a hoot watching us chase 2 piglets in a five acre lot!! Luckily they didn't think to jump when near the perimeter cattle fence in the lot. We managed to drive them one at a time into the fence and the lower wire was too small for them to squeeze through. I can laugh now.... :-)

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Hello everyone
Sue that sure sounds funny. I think one can't live on a farm and not chase an animal at times.
are pigs easier to catch than a chicken ? .

Anza, CA(Zone 8b)

Hi Cajun-

What big ears they have! I guess I'm used to looking at the pot belly variety.

A neighbor of ours had pigs once, and as I recall those guys got HUGE! Tame 'em quick, so you can call them, not chase them!

DGS looks happy!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

In a large field, I'd say the pig!! lol!
When we get our pigs, I'll feed them and then sit on the turned-over feed pail so I'm near them eating. After a few days, I'm scratching behind their ears and making friends. :-)

aaawwww cute

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Spare Rib is very tame and Pork Chop is getting much more so. She will let us scratch her a good bit while she is eating. Spare Rib will come to the door and stand up on it to be petted. Pork Chop will stand close by. You can tell she wants in on the scratches but she's not quite sure about it yet. When Pork Chop finishes eating her little belly is pooched out on both sides.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

They don't look like they are very hairy critters. Maybe you should get them some little coats to wear in this cold winter weather. :>)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

They dug themselves a nice little bed in the hay last night.

to cute ! love it

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

AWWHH...I want some pigs!

Too cute! Did you buy them from a farmer or a sale barn? I am so leary about buying critters around home. People will flat out lie to you when giving info about them, and I'm still so niave about farm critters, that I don't know when I'm being hoodwinked!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My DH went with another guy and they bought 5 of them from the farmer. They sold one on the way home and the other guy has sold another of them. We bought 2 so the other guy still has one. He wants DH to back with him and go on halves with him to buy the big sow. She sould pig soon. The other guy will have to keep her at his house as we don't have any place for her, much less a whole litter of piglets. I don't know if we will make the deal or not.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

I see a stock trailer as well as a few road trips in my future to meet up with some of you to help me locate animals!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

A trio of piglets, one year, wouldn't go into the coop which was nicely bedded with hay. They would burrow into the leaves and lay together; the end ones facing one way and the middle one facing the other!! Snug as a bug in a rug! lol!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Can I interest you in a horse or 2? LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images