Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Home Decorating: New furniture ... please be honest ...

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 73, Views: 1,187
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 23, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6040971

I'm trying to decide what kind of den furniture to buy. We don't have a lot of small children coming around, so it won't be abused ... no pets that get on it ... we don't eat on the furniture, although I do take my coffee and sit in my recliner if I'm not on DG in the a.m. Of course, this is rare. LOL I have a table in between 2 chairs one of which is my recliner. :)

Now what we're thinking about is leather ... 2 recliners and a sofa. I've found a gorgeous leather!

Who has leather furniture, and which of you would do it all over ... and which of you wouldn't? And tell me why! Be specific!

Thanks! This furniture will probably be my last! :-)

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 23, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6041156

My husband has a leather armchair -- He loves it. It it is well made with 'baseball' stitching. Good quality leather. The chair is soft and you sink into it. He also has a leather desk chair - more of a rigid feel because the leather is pulled tight. A friend has a similar chair with not so good quality leather (but it is leather) and the leather has not held up as well. It shows scratches where ours --the scratches can be softened out (I know that doesn't make sense) but with a leather creme the scratches go away. With hers, we have tried the cream- unsuccessful. So recommendation is to get a good quality leather.

Our Rosie is no longer with us now, but when she was alive she would sneak up on his chair. Her hair came right off of the leather - no issues. Oils are another issue. Where hands rest on the arms - the leather darkens --I am assuming it is oil from the skin etc. My husband has a wool throw on the back of the chair --so I have no personal experience, but I have seen leather chairs that are darkened where the hair comes in contact -- so again oils can darken. I have used a leather cleaner etc, on the arms, but I don't really see improvement. So if you consider it a "patina" I guess it would be ok, but if not, then I suggest you use a throw. I like leather enough to make it the covering choice for my next sofa.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 23, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6041950

Hmm, I didn't realize the leather would darken like that? I do love the feel of good leather, though. I'm still thinking ... I don't want to make the mistake of buying the first thing I fall in love with.
toniwill
Natural Bridge, VA

January 25, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6049843

I have a medium brown leather sofa with matching easy chair that I have never noticed any darkening patches on. (no throws used on it.) Later on, got a dark leather recliner. I think that leather is fairly worry-free and looks great. We have 2 cats, no dogs. The cats have managed to put tiny holes in the leather due to their claws gripping when they race around the room chasing each other. But they don't shred the furniture like on upholstery!
A sales person once recommended that if you have several pieces of leather furniture that you also have an upholstered one to break up the monotony, and I like that idea. (she actually said "monocony!")
hope this helps.
toni
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 25, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6050301

Hmmm well --maybe it isn't oils. I wonder what then. Honestly, I don't notice that my husband rests his hands much on the edge of the arms of the chair..he isn't a big guy and I imagine it isn't comfortable for him to sit all the way back and yet still manage to have his hands rest on the farthest edges of the arms. But I always assumed it was oil from the skin -since my spouse never eats anything when watching TV (...NOW if that were my chair --- who knows what the heck I would have spilled on it!!) Anyway, whatever it is ..it doesn't come out with the leather creme/conditioner cleaner the chair came with. It doesn't look bad at all it is just a darkening on the edge but since you asked, I figured I'd say what was my least favorite thing about the leather. As I said, I'd definitely get a sofa in leather. The chair is a medium to dark brown with a bit of russet tone.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6050656

Is your leather lighter colored? I could imagine that skin oils could stain leather, but I would expect it would show up a lot more on light colored leather than it would on darker colors.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 26, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6050815

No - it's med- med dark brown. Sort of a reddish brown.

I was curious so I got a white cloth napkin and rubbed it on while the cloth was dry and then wet it and did the same thing. No dirt came off the leather. So, what can it be but oil? I don't think of the skin as oily but I know there are oils there.

My husband is the original Mr. Neat and so - I know there wasn't any food spillage or anything like that. He doesn't use any cream lotions or anything like that on his hands either --just plain soap.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6050880

Could it be wear instead of dirt? If he repeatedly rubs against the same areas of the chair they could end up with a slightly smoother texture than the rest of the chair which could make those areas appear a different color.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 26, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6051000

Good point but no -- I don't think so the leather is as thick appearing and well grained and soft etc., as the rest. I will try to upload a photo - but maybe the flash will not allow the edge of chair to be seen with what I think is oil stain.

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 26, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6051014

another maybe can see better. That wool throw keeps me from 'testing' the oil theory along the back head rest!

Thumbnail by missingrosie

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 26, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #6051054

The chair is about 9-10 years old - so likely worn but I don't think the darkened area is 'worn'. Maybe you can see by the edge of the seat cushion near the front where the legs rub each and every time that there is no discoloration and I am sure that the front edge of the seat is more prone to being worn. As I said --my husband's arms are not all that long and I think he likely rests his hands midway down that chair arm as opposed to the edges of the arms. That allows for the flex/bend of the elbow --otherwise I think he would have to keep his arms poker straight to rest the hands over the edge. Oh well, a mystery and not what this thread is really about (sorry 101 - I just wanted to say --in answer to your question ---I LOVE leather but I think it does pick up oils.) Could be when our Rosie was alive (she was living in the same house with that chair for 5-6 years) ----she brushed past it and deposited oil. She was just exactly the right height to do that and she was often right next to my husband's legs.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2009 8:31 PM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #6051109

It definitely could have been from Rosie--I get dark marks on my walls in places that my dog brushes by regularly--only thing that gets those off is the Magic Eraser but I don't know if I'd try it on leather! My only experience with leather is black leather which doesn't show any marks like that, and I would suspect leather that's true brown rather than reddish-brown would probably show dirt/oil less too.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 26, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6051160

Well..I can't be mad at Rosie. At least the mystery of the dark stain may be solved. 101 --do you have pets??
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 26, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #6051730

Yes, I have a lab ... she's not allowed on the furniture but like y'all have pointed out, she'll certainly be rubbing against it. I would imagine that leather might pick up tones from oils in the skin from aging. I don't think that would bother me unless it's excessive ... which it doesn't sound like. I appreciate all the great info and input from everyone. I enjoy the conversation. Sorta feels like we're sitting around the table discussing it? That's what I was hoping for. :-) Like I said in the title of the thread ... I wanted honest opinions from people who had leather. Thanks!

We looked at furniture again this week-end. I still haven't found anything I like. I'm short and am having trouble finding something that sits comfortable. When I sit all the way bac ... my feet don't touch the floor with a lot of the furniture unless I slide down. It's very uncomfortable. Then there's the furniture that lays you back too far. I'm still leaning toward that leather. It's just the right size and is that soft kind. I've got a place out of town I want to check out first. I'll let y'all know what I decide. :)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 26, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #6051849

If you look for a sofa with an exposed wood frame -- where the cushions can be leather bottom and back..those tend to be shorter in the seat from back of the knee to the back cushion. Tend to be lower also - but firm enough to allow you to get out of the chair comfortably. Good for petite people. But you got to like the lean look of the exposed wood -- there are usually side arm cushions etc. Not for everybody (the style) but I like it.
toniwill
Natural Bridge, VA

January 26, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #6054094

Missing rosie, your chair looks extremely comfortable, and I like that color leather. I think I can make out the darker area you're talking about, but it's not very noticeable. My sofa/chair are lighter than that and we have no dogs. I'll bet it was your Rosie.
:)
toni
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 27, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #6055822

Toni
You are right it isn't that noticeable - that's why I said it was a 'patina' (fancy word for 'it won't come off and so I will say it is desireable!!" ) But, if it WAS Rosie...well, I guess I will never try to clean it again!! ;0)
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 27, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #6056205

Well, I'm certainly not going to let that sway me from leather :) but am trying to keep an open mind, also. So far, I just haven't seen anything else I like, though. I do like that microfiber ... at least I think that's correct? I just haven't found it in what I want. LOL I'll keep in touch. :)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 27, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6057975

Microfiber...now you didn't ask about microfiber 101... I know several folks with sofa's/chairs.. ... it is sort of a chenille or velour (at least the few I have seen) I know the dept store advertised as microfiber because my DS bought a set. ... No way to get the pet hair off even with tools and vacuums. It also shows wear along where the back legs hit sooner than other materials.. that being said... I imagine there are grades of it / etc. etc. and I don't know what it is (gradewise) that I have seen.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 27, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6058240

Oh *thank you*! Hmm, maybe I should have asked what types of fabic people like and don't like ... and why? I had just come home from looking and had that leather on my mind ... Oh well, maybe some other people will jump in. I definitely don't need a dog hair magnet! LOL
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 7, 2009
9:45 AM

Post #6105012

I have microfiber, dogs and kids. I do NOT recommend it. I spend more money getting my furniture cleaned than I care to admit. :( It wears on the edges and turns dark (I have taupe furniture). It's difficult to remove pet hair and it leaves butt prints (according to my 10 year old).

The next set is going to be nice leather.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 7, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6106869

LOL ... thanks so much ... We're still looking. Can you believe it? So far I'm not impressed with the microfiber, either, although the furniture companies sure are pushing it. What's with that? Maybe it's because they know it doesn't hold up? One thing the DH and I have both noticed is every time we sit on it, the static electricity is terrible! We always get shocked. Now how crazy is that! LOL

So far I have 2 things picked out and both are leather. I'll probably be making my decision within the next couple of weeks. The furniture stores are having sales here.
^_^
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 8, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6107837

Sales are down - ask them to throw in lamps or a painting or something like that --- you never can tell...

bifdiehl
Gettysburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6133499

101 - I have two labs that seem to explode hair as they walk. I bought an upholstered sofa in my pre-dog days and have since bought two leather recliners. NO HAIR sticks to the leather even when they use the edge of the chairs as back-scratchers. I know when I replace the couch I'll be sorely tempted to get leather b/c of the dog hair all over the couch I have now, but I don't like the idea of 3 pieces of leather furniture in the family room with nothing upholstered. But I won't ever have a hairless-household so I might end up doing that.
Forgive my rambling, but my point is, go for the leather!
Dana

PS - the markup on furniture is ridiculous. I'm sure you'd be able to get a better-than-sale price, especially if you pay with check or cash. (stores lose about 3% of the sale when people pay with credit cards)

This message was edited Feb 13, 2009 12:21 PM
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 13, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #6134028

Dana - go for the leather and get some lovely pillows and a throw. You can shake them out at least! (PS - you don't need me to say that the pups are worth it right??? I miss Rosie so much and I don't care if I have to live in hair waist high - if I could have her back, I'd do it in a NY minute!)
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

February 14, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6137836

I'm going for the leather, y'all! I think I've finally made up my mind. I keep going back to the original set I found when we started looking ... and boy have we ever looked! LOL I'm with everyone else about our 4 legged babies. I just have to take the good with the bad, but the leather sure will make that part nicer. :) I won't forget to take a picture when we get it and get the room fixed up. Thanks, so much ... this has really helped me a lot!
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6286150

I see you've made your pick! I'll post for the future reader who might still be considering however...

We have kids and pets. I wanted leather before we had either though! I grew up with cloth furniture in a dusty old house with lots of kids and pets and phew man you sit down and see the dust fly or the stains or wear from years of use on cloth and when I grew up I knew I had to have leather and I convinced my parents it was the best to so they also made the switch! I hate couch cushions that bunch up or shift and have to be readjusted, not to mention vaccuumed under and over. I don't want a lot of fluff (pillows taking up the seating space) and leather sometimes has built in pillow arms or none and pillows won't sit well on leather because they will slide so for my taste I don't have to have pillows just the furniture! I love leather because it doesn't hold the dust, no cushions to move around, nothing to get trapped under the cushions, hard to stain if at all and wears better than fabric :)

With kids it's been a lifesaver. DD can eat snacks and have sippy cups on it and any minor spill is easily wiped up!

No dogs but have cats and most cats won't lay on leather. Ours occassionally do, especially if a throw is on it they'll lay on that, they have left scratch marks not because they scratch but because they ran to jump off or on but nothing a good leather stain can't patch up and certainly wasn't strong enough to tear the leather.

I've seen leather that has oil/body stains but ours color choice was dark enough by preference not to notice any wear of that sort. I chose a dark burgundy in one room and a dark brown almost walnut color for the other.

We use leather cleaner the furniture store offered as a lifetime freebie with the purchase and they suggested since it is basically leather lotion you wipe it on with your bare hand, the oils from your hand in this process helps to freshen the leather to (so we were told).

Could I be happier? I don't think so. Good luck on your purchase!
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

March 18, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6286652

What a wonderful review! Would you believe I still haven't made my purchase? That's why there's no pictures! LOL When I went in with my mind all made up, I was giving it the final once over, and it just didn't suit me as I ran my hands over it. I realized what I had picked out was a cheaper grade leather so I'm back at square 1. I'll not compromise! I do want leather but am holding out for just that perfect one! LOL
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6287118

One tip I was told (who knows if accurate) is that if the back of the couch has smaller pieces of leather sewn on then the back is leather, if it is one solid piece it's vinyl/fake on the backside meaning the piece isn't as high of quality.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

March 19, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6287406

Great tip. I'll be checking that for sure. :)
Puplover
Chaplin, CT
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6898318

We have a large pale yellow leather recliner, brand is Catnapper-used everyday for 8 years by my BF who watches TV and sleeeps in it. Its showing some dirt, but I have not tried to clean it. My Japanes chin walks on it, cats, my beagle, my larger dogs lay against it. No tears, would by again. The padding in this chair is still as puffy as the day we bought it. I am looking to buy a leather couch now.
Howver, my sister in law said her cats peed on her leather all the time.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6898322

Sometimes cats have those issues if there are to many in one home to. We have 2 cats and have had no issues. One will lay on the leather as is but the other won't touch it.
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

September 10, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #7046395

I haven't taken the time to read through this thread but I have done my homework when purchasing leather furniture. Leather is not just 'leather'. How its treated, the thickness of the skin, stain not to mention the construction of the leather itself. Some 'color' it actually painted onto the leather. Some stained, some treated etc. Various thicknesses of the skin... some can be VERY very thin. There are US grades to consider... know your grades. Some are international. The acid a person carries in their skin can wreak havoc on the stability of leather. MY X Husband had very acidic skin and the arms of "his chair" deteriorated readily.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 21, 2009
10:01 AM

Post #7086717

I had to get rid of my leather furniture in the den because it very cold during winter in Va. We now have 2 person lazy boy recliner and a sofa. Belle
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 12, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7699281

I know this is an old thread , but let me jump in with my experience. I have a Very high end Drexel Heritage suede couch . Altho the piece will last a lifetime , a drop of water will soak in the leather . It can dry ,leaving a light ring . You can see ,on the left arm side , what sitting , and the pooch sleeping there , how the rubbing ,and oil from the dog , will wear, and smooth the leather . I've had smooth leather b4 and it's treated to not absorb moisture . Not suede . We live in the den and wouldn't get rid of this couch , too expensive (4,000 dollars)and much too comfortable . I just wanted you to know , suede isn't for the faint of heart , if you want to keep a couch or chair looking new forever. I don't care , personally about it wearing the nap off , but would never have anything but leather. Just not suede . digger

Thumbnail by digger9083

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 12, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7699296

This is the end we sit on and pooch sleeps on . It's like a pair of suede shoes , wears smooth with time and can spot . I keep a throw on this end for the dog to get on but need to train her to use the other end , to even out the wear . lol . digger
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 12, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7699310

My pic went into space . Try again.

Thumbnail by digger9083

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 12, 2010
12:22 PM

Post #7700017

Hi Digger!
Thanks so much for your reply. Believe it or not ... I still don't have new furniture. It's not that I haven't been looking. I guess I'm just hard to please. :-( For the money I have, I'm not liking what I've seen so far. I'll hang on to it, though. I'll know it when I see it. Until then, I appreciate all the responses!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 12, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7700053

I know what you mean , When you see it , you know it's yours .If you go with leather go with known manufactures. Then the quality of leather . In my case , I have a membership in a discount purchasing group that lets me buy at manufacterer cost .I visited the showroom in Oklahoma and spotted this . Altho it was real quality , it wasn't meant for use in a den . Much better in an executive suite where it wouldn't get the traffic . But I love it and when I saw it , it was mine .Good luck in your search, you'll find it . digger
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7705679

I'm not sure what it's called but that suede-type of stuff, microfiber?, is great. We got an overstuffed sofa and it's sooooo comfie. Be sure and sit in whatever you get beforehand to make sure you like it.

Also, measure and be sure it can fit thru your doors. When we had our delivered, it almost didn't fit. It took a lot of pushing and shoving. Once they got it inside, they took off the shrink wrap and -- poof -- it expanded! It's never coming out unless we chop it up in pieces!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 14, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #7705811

Nope , No microfiber . This is real suede leather. A neighbor thought it was microfiber until I showed him the tag under the seat . All suede , even on the back . digger
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7705814

No, I'm just saying that the microfiber makes a nice fabric for a couch or oversized chair.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 14, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7705821

My ddil got micro fiber and found out most of it has a life of about six years . It tends to pull at the seams . We'll see . d
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #7705825

We've had ours almost 5 years now. No issues with seams at all. But I was told it cleaned easily and it does not. Kids and dogs are brutal. Oh, well, it's still ultra comfie. And the parts that aren't stained look great after I vacuum them with the upholstry brush. If it was just me...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 14, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7705846

They have some comfy stuff out there . If I got five years out of a couch that wasn't leather , I'd be grateful , with my bunch . lol . I've been through a few in my past . d
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2010
4:32 AM

Post #7706826

I despise my microfiber. I don't have problems with it pulling at the seams, but it does NOT clean easily...kids and dogs. Ugh. :(
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 15, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7707107

I have a white (creme really) on white heavy material (jaquard??) (damask??) sofa. I got it 20 years ago. It has gone through three dogs and two kids (one with a few 'dad and mom aren't home this weekend dear ole' college buddies' drunken parties (I think) (there were bottles in the trash...clanked alot but I didn't want to actually look...) anyway, that fabric has not 'worn' one bit..the fabric is like new with regard to wear. It vacuumed beautifully with regard to dog hair (I did keep a cover on it with the dogs but the cover slipped alot) .. my problem is that I spot cleaned with Resolve etc., when needed on the arms and it left a water stain. Ditto the seat cushions --but one day I got so nuts with needing to spot clean it --I pulled off all the covers on bottom and back cushions and TOSSED all in the wash. I just knew I would have 'mini' covers or some other God awful issue when those covers came out of the wash...but I didn't care (at that moment of nutty-ness) and braced myself for DH's response when he saw that we were going to have to have the sofa recovered. These were not 'washable' covers - it was a regular upholestered sofa. Well, after a line dry...the covers were fantastic. It was a bit of a scare getting them back on because as you can figure they are tight fitting to the foam (and the foam on the inside of those cushions is totally padded in goose down that is packed around the outside of the foam on the seats) and so I couldn't 'fold and squash' the cushions back in like you might a bed pillow.) So now all is perfect -----except for those upholstered arms no peeling the fabric off the rest of the sofa (or I would!) I just pop on the little fabric arm covers (they do wash up) that came with the sofa. I should have used those covers from the get go.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 15, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7707172

Mrosie , If you had goosedown in your cushions , you had a good quality piece of furniture .101 , furniture is marked up 100 %and if it can be bought at half price plus a few bucks , the retailer isn't getting hurt .Look for sales and if getting cloth covers , If the fabric isn't treated , buy a bunch of Scotchguard and spray until wet . Also look for a tight weave fabric . digger
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

April 15, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7707318

Thanks, digger. Great suggestions. :-)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 15, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #7707386

I think it was the tight weave that really helped this fabric

yes the sofa is made well --that is why I was crazy to toss the covers int the wash. It amazed me there were zippers that allowed me to get it off. I knew about scotchguard way back when but no experience so didn't know if it actually protected the fabric but held onto dirt, or would deteriorate, get sticky, yellow etc. etc.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 15, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #7707707

No , none of that stuff . About 1970 , when I was making a lot of my clothes , all of my solid color blouses got a good , even spray with it. Also the butt and fronts of my pants . Seems the waitress were pretty sloppy about wiping the seats of booths as well as they should . It's absolutely safe and won't spot fine clothes , just spray evenly, can even soak , so to speak . Respray after 15 or20 washes if using extra warm water . digger
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 15, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7707740

great - I will do that - my work slacks can use it for sure. Do you think it will work on walls???????
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 15, 2010
12:20 PM

Post #7707929

Why would you want to put it on walls ? If they are wallcovered in Material or even burlap , sure . Hadn't thought of it . To clean walls from greasy fingermarks , or grease from cooking , or smokeing , I use Mean Green . Best thing I've found .For the vent over the stove, gell dishwashing liquid for the dishwasher will disolve that , no matter how gummy it gets . A little HOT water in the sink , and the gell added , swooshing the filter , it will rinse clean . Didn't mean to go on and on , but anyway might be some good tips for those who , like me, would have to find those things out by accident . digger
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 15, 2010
3:55 PM

Post #7708312

Well...IF it could go on walls...I'd only have to use water. I think the paint has a better chance of keeping the color without a detergent or soap rubbed into it. I figured if the scotchguard can protect a fabric --maybe it can protect a wall that is at risk (like 2 year old height) ;0) sometimes it isn't the 'rubbing' on the wall ----it is the cleaner that wrecks it.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 15, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #7708448

It soaks into fabric and repels water . Try the mean green . It won't hurt the paint. you dont have to scrub , Spray on starting at the top and if the walls are dirty , it'll run down and streak it , but you can use a clean t shirt and spread it around , then wipe it down with another shirt and get the dirt off. You can wipe down with a clean , wet rag . It's easy and not a lot of work . I use it on walls in my rental homes .Smokers are the worst , and both me and dh smoke , but not in the house .
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 15, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7708551

I will try it. I have not heard of it or the gell dishwashing liquid. I am bad about buying the same stuff and not looking at anything new on the shelves. Thanks!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 16, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7709459

The gel is Cascade . They make a cream like too , but the gel is best for the uses I described .
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 16, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7709676

OK thanks. It will be a 'new' cleaning me and in 20 years (if I am still here) I can change up again!
hamptonmeadow
Lakeville, MN

January 17, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8316406

I don't think three pieces of leather work in any room. They are usually too big for the room and overwhelm it. I would buy one of leather and get two chairs in another fabric. Be sure and pay attention to the scale of the furniture for the room. It is a mistake I have made more than once.
J2222
Southern California, CA

February 4, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8353501

MissingR and Others: Someday I would like to buy a leather sofa and a chair. I've read through the posts. Could you give the names of quality leather furniture manufacturers? Puplover mentioned Catnapper brand, but I never heard of that one. I've seen sales in Macy's, but Macy's is probably not really a brand. Would Ethan Allen? Can you think of others?
Digger: thanks for the cleaning suggestions, I'm going to try Cascade gel and Mean Green!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 4, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8353988

I hesitate to make a recommendation because all manufacturers purchase different grades for their various lines from the economy to the premium. Sort of like different levels of cars or diamonds. If there is a particular brand you like, shop it and then look at their leather grades and order accordingly. You first have to find a style you like and then make sure the frame is well made. Even the best quality fabric/ leather won't hold up if the frame doesn't. The chair we have is Bob Timberlake and Lexington furniture made the chair for that line. The leather is a good grade but even with that it still gets body oil darkening and so economy, grade, medium or high... It is all in the care and protection. Again, I'd put more emphasis on the scaffolding and just take precautions with the 'outsides'.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

February 4, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8354312

"split cowhide " is less durable . A"full grain" wears best , but is harder . You need to decide how hard you will be on the furniture also, and how long you want it to last.Oil from the hair and head will tend to harden the leather , over time , helping it to split and wear out much sooner than the rest of the piece . I have made "pillow cases" open down the long side , to protect the headrest .
You should get fifteen Good years out of a piece easy , even with hard wear .Most decent grades will give you twenty . I have another leather couch here in Texas with two leather recliners my son gave me when they bought new stuff and they show at least another five or ten years good use . They're already eighteen or twenty years old .You might buy a less expensive couch that only has leather where the body touches it. Try it out for a coupla years to decide if you want to stay with leather.
J2222
Southern California, CA

February 5, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8355374

MissingR and Digger and Also All of the Previous Posters, too: Thank you for your information and this interesting thread and various comments. Evaluating leather is a lot more tricky than evaluating fabric, isn't it. A whole new area to delve into and learn about. Thanks again!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

February 5, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8355465

And you will have a zillion color choices too!
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2011
9:23 PM

Post #8417616

IO1, you know I love my leather sofa. And many of the points on here are correct as you and I have talked about on the phone. Leather will stain & fade pretty quickly if not treated properly. We've treated ours twice since we purchased it and if I can ever get Serg off his duff we will put up the UV film on the window. The smaller sections of leather on the back as an indicator of the quality etc isn't always the case. Ours is one solid section and is a very high quality leather.

Pita likes it, although it it cooler in the winter (you know how serg is about that) but with throws it's comfy. As others have stated nothing sticks to it, the cheapo microfiber I have in the study is another story..even after months of the Dyson I can't get the pet hair out of the cushions and it stains ba

Nice comfy leather sofa would look great in your den *LOL* and would look great with that new recliner your sure to get after he's had to sit in it for days!

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 10, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8417939

Good tip here . If any one does have a leather piece of furniture that has gone to the after world , the dump is the next stop ., then wait and think about it first . The leather can be recycled into pillow throws . Either for the floor for cushions, or pillows for the new furniture . They are great in the car. They look fine with short tassels or fringe . Hundreds of uses for used leather . A store in Cuero Tex has throw pillows for over $100.00 and you can duplicate the look for free .The pieces make great covers for small tables , or in my case , a throw cover for a large basket that sits up about 24" that I keep my yarn in .Nice decorator look .Worn , crackled leather doesn't hurt the look either, just adds to the charm .
curvesarein
Kingman, AZ
(Zone 7b)

November 14, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8890746

I used to sell furniture, but leather wasn't so popular then. But Lazy Boy, Broyhill, Ethen Allen, Schweiger, and Flexsteel are all good brands. I have a Lazy boy recliner and a Broyhill sofa and they are 9 years old and look like new. Both are chenille.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8915345

Susan, what did you end up getting? Can you show us pictures?
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8933402

kind of late to the party but I have one more "Leather furniture story" for you.
I grew up as number 4 of 14 children and we always had a dark brown leather couch in the TV room. It got constant use -not just as seating but as a springboard for jumping on and off of, as a sickbed for all ages of "patients", as an emergency "changing station" for many babies. It showed great character as it aged but mom cleaned it regularly with Murphy's oil soap and water and it served for at least 20 years. The only true scar on it occurred when a brother sat down with a hunting knife in a back pocket and put a large gash in a cushion. Fortunately my dad was a surgeon (as well as our handyman!) and did a great job sewing it up with surgical sutures (after yelling at my brother for his carelessness)! The last I saw it one of my younger brothers was toting it off to his frat house in college-as far as I know it is still there but I'm betting the washing with Murphy's is not happening there
!!
As soon as I could afford it (a good furniture store was going out of business !!) I bought my own-navy blue-have had it 10 years. I love it and my husband's only complaint is it's kinda sweaty to sit on when summer temps get to the 90's. I just tell him to stop sitting around "half nekkid" because that couch is staying!!
Go for it-you'll love it! MWhit
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

December 20, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8937073

Well, look how long it's been since I started this! LOL Still don't have new furniture. Life got in the way. I'm not buying till I can afford what I want. I'm too old to settle. ☺ I did get me a cheap recliner to tied me over. I'll update when I get some.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8937164

Well, Susan - buy yourself and Danny a Christmas present of new living room furniture!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8944869

You may want to consider going directly to a furniture mfg. in High Point, NC. Used to go when my bus was in full swing. I am a drapery retail workrm. 30 yrs.
Do flip over any piece of furn. you are considering to check if corners are blocked and tennon joins in other areas. I am not a big fan of leather as I don't enjoy the a cold feel. Leather is difficult to purchase as it is fried, died, baked and raked often before it is fabricated into a piece of furniture. Some split easily at seams that receive the most stress. Some body oils leave stains as mentioned above I believe. Most all leather is died in order to achieve the colors the public prefers. I have seen pink leather chairs and we all know most cows don't come in pink. The toughest fabric that was on the market is backed with polyolofin which has a rubber base and resists tears and surface could be cleaned with an upholstery cleaner.
Now there is a product for protection made by Force Field. Not sure it can be used on leather but fabric its great on and definitely liquid proof. I saw it demoed at a conference I attended. Think its avail. at Home Depot and the like.
Two yrs. ago a friend of mine that owns a ranch here in Fl. she and hubby had a large braham bull butchered, had the skin taned and left natural gray. I made an 18 ft. cornice for her which had all different shaped edges hanging down as we used only the best part of the hide. Then I had my husb. (reitred welder) put tog. her husbs. horse shoes in 4 rows to use for legs and made that into a footstool or automan whichever you want to call it. NOW thats a real leather cows hide and I'm sure will last until eternity. It was so thick I couldn't sew it with even my heaviest needle and used upholstery tacks 3/4"
to fasten it to the plywood I used for footstool base. My husb. welded a round ring for plywood to be fastened to.
Bet you can't find that type of quality in any furniture store. She has a lot of company including small kids but it will never break and her kids are drawing straws as to who gets in when she passes. Wouldn't do it again for a million bucks but for very good friend I was happy to do it as a gift.
Glad I'm not shopping for furniture now. At one time Lazy Boy used to guaranteed their recliners for life and would send replacement parts. A gal in one of my classes I attended got 2 recliners out of a dump, called Lazy Boy for new parts, recovered them beautifully and had 2 good quality chairs. Wish I was that good at upholstery.
Good luck with your furniture expedition.
Bonnie
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9253886

Susan did you ever get the furniture? Is your dog allowed on it. lol I know how you love him.
luckybabydoll
Hongkong
Hong Kong

July 2, 2014
12:22 AM

Post #9883391

The sofa in my house is cotton material. It is very nice in winter, but not so good in hot summer. And it can be cleaned by washer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 164 Nov 19, 2014 12:23 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America