Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: SHAMROCK PLANT

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 32, Views: 236
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 24, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6044031

Hi..

I have had a large thriving Shamrock plant for years. This past November after it finished blooming, I decided to re pot it and make 2 pots as it was so prolific.
After the repotting things were 'droopy' .. but, from past experience with the plant I knew that was how it goes .. finally the stems developed and I was on my way (I thought) .. right now it is a droopy mess of tangled stems (and not many of them) .. it looks OVER watered .. but that is SO not so .. I stick by a once weekly watering regimen for my house plants .. the only thing I can think has happened is that the plants may have gotten a draft from an open window ?

Has anyone got a suggestion, or, had this happen to their Shamrocks ?

Thanks

~M~
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2009
12:12 PM

Post #6044043

Hi,
My shamrock is several years old. It does all the same things you speak of and more. I clean the leaves and stems as they go and new ones come behind them. I just decided it is so beautiful once spring comes Ill just keep accepting the shaggy look throughout the winter..Keep plucking!!
Robin
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2009
12:43 PM

Post #6044075

My shamrock does poorly when I have to bring it inside for the winter too. It droops and pouts all winter long. When the plant gets to looking really sad I just trim off all the leaves and it puts on new and healthier leaves. Come warm weather, I move it to the front porch, which is shaded from our scorching hot summer heat, and it puts on lots of new growth and blooms its heart out all summer long.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 24, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6044370

Thanks so much .. I'm smiling .. I take it my wee Shamrocks have the 'WINTER BLAHS' .. who can blame them :-)

This afternoon I'll give both plants a haircut and tell them they're beautiful and await their SPRING rebirth ..

~M~
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6045372

Are you judging that it's not overwatered because you only water it once a week, or have you actually stuck your finger down in the soil to see how it feels? Once a week could be just right for some plants but too much or too little for others due to a number of other variables. So if you haven't done the finger test I would do that just to rule out overwatering. Especially since you repotted it, it likely doesn't need to be watered as frequently as it did before, so if you're still watering it at the same frequency it could be too much now. The old plant that needed to be repotted had a lot of roots in the pot and not as much soil to hold moisture, but now that the new plants have been repotted there's a lot less roots relative to the amount of soil, so the plants won't need to be watered as often as the old one did.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 24, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6045515

Finger test completed :-) after a week of no water .. the soil IS still a bit dampish down deeper .. should find myself one of those decorative 'worms' that you stick in the soil and changes colour as the plant needs water ..

~M~
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6053900

My poor shamrock gets cranky in the winter also. I have decided that plants also get cabin fever and when they do they get exceptionally cranky. I just leave the shamrock pretty much alone for a month with no water and then I start watering it again. In no time it comes up full and lush like before. I am wondering if it needs a bit of dormancy once in awhile. I have divided mine and shared it many times. It is very prolific.
cruz4him
Toronto, ON
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6125292

I agree with Kathy65468 -- if it's in its dormant phase (looks dead or dying), leave it alone. Put it in a darker place and don't water it until you see it start coming back to life again.

Mine dies down right to the soil level during the dormant phase and then just bounces back to life, full and lush, once it's done resting (takes about 4-6 weeks or longer sometimes).

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 12, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6126514

Cruz .. both the Shamrocks are coming back to life .. very slowly .. stem by stem ..
I turn them twice a day so that they reach for the sun .. I think it's working :-)

M~
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6126812

See, we knew they would do that. They just needed a little break.
Congrats.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 12, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #6127569

:-) thanks Kathy. Am so hoping that they don't start getting 'gangly' again .. but .. I do think the stem length and strength is better this time around ...

~M~
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6128484

Getting gangly is a light issue. They really like light. Mine look best when warm weather comes and I put them outside under a tree. I cut them all back and water thoroughly then set them outdoors. In a couple of weeks they are lush and full with so many leaves you never see the stems.
cruz4him
Toronto, ON
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6128969

They will get gangly every time they need to go through their dormant period. It used to drive me crazy until I learned that it was a normal part of their life cycle! They definitely thrive under bright light. Mine is in a south facing window and it's never been more lush.
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6128987

Unfortunately, my south facing window has great shade trees in front to keep down heat inside. No bright light for my shamrock lol but I am comfortable.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 12, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6129303

Mine are to the left of a south facing window. Only reason they aren't in front of it is because I sometimes open the sliding window as there is a wood stove in the living room and it can get QUITE warm .. I don't want 'the gurls' to get a draft .. but they sure get lotsa heat ..
I'll just bide my time ... good things come to them that wait .. :-)

~M~
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6129330

They sure do.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #6272519

Well .. here is a pic of what my two DROOPY DORAS have evolved into .. am SO happy I didn't throw them out !!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6272655

Oh yeah--they look nice and perky now! That looks like perfect light for them too. Mine is already out on the front porch. We're already having 75-80 degree days and my plants are so happy to be back outside! Glad you hung on to your babies.
Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6272685

Mine are planted outside. In the south they completely die back in the winter and come back in the spring. They do need to go dormat for a while. Glad yours are looking so good now.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 16, 2009
10:37 AM

Post #6274228

If I were to put mine outside , I'd have to dig through about 5 feet of snow over the garden ... LoL

Our temps are getting better as the days go by .. in fact I got a sunburn on Saturday walking the deer trails .. no doubt the reflection from the snow .. but .. the melt is on. Still .. I couldn't put my Shamrocks outside .. even though our daytime temps will hit between 70 and 80-85 in summer .. the evenings cool off to perhaps the 60s.

Thought it was so cool they perked up and bloomed before St Paddy's Day :-)

~M~
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2009
11:29 AM

Post #6274308

That's why I bought a shamrock plant in the first place--it always reminds me of my Irish grandmother. She was such a sweet soul and I could just sit and listen to her talk with that wonderful brogue of hers for hours!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 16, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6274607

I was born in Belfast Northern Ireland .. have lived in Canada from the age of 6 months .. only have a wee bit o the brogue from being with my Mom and Dad.
Have MANY traditions to carry on though .. and my grandkids think me a LOON sometimes when I flip if they put new shoes on a table or open an umbrella in the house LoL

~M~
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6274670

ROFLOL! My grandma left me with a LOT of traditions and folksy sayings! I think they are a load of fun though. My kids are carrying them on too and now my granddaughter is keenly interested in them as well (grandson is 13 and waaay too cool for such things right now). I just love the nature Irish folks!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 16, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6274713

I've been watching our local garden centers so I can get one of the green oxalis plants! Usually they are sold everywhere around St. Paddy's day but I haven't seen any yet this year.

I think most Oxalis go dormant at times. I have the Oxalis called "False Shamrock" and love it. It's in a small pot sitting underneath a potted palm tree out on my pool deck. Mine always dies back somewhat in the winter but begins re-sprouting as soon as the weather warms up. We had temp's a couple of nights this winter in the mid 20's and I just threw old blankets over my plants on the deck and they did fine.

I've always loved the Shamrock Plants, maybe my Irish heritage has something to do with it? My great grandparents were from County Cork, Ireland. My dear mom was so very proud of her Irish heritage, if we didn't wear something "green" on St. Paddy's day we would get an ear full from her (with a huge grin of course!) So, tomorrow my mom will be smiling down at me from heaven because I will be wearing my Irish shirt, my green shamrock shaped earrings and an old shamrock pin that a dear aunt crocheted for me years ago.

I've heard that it's not really Irish tradition, the wearing o' the green on St. Pats day, just an American thing, but it's still fun.

This is a photo of my purple oxalis, false shamrock: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/180891/

There are 97 listings for Oxalis in Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=oxalis&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&offset=0 I'm not sure which one is commonly sold around St. Patrick's day.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6275048

My grandma will be happy also because I will be wearing the green too! So many of the Irish traditions involve fun! Plantladylin, are you looking for the shamrock that looks just like your purple except it's green? If you can't find one locally, I can dig a few bulbs out of mine and send it to you for postage. Just let me know.
mortswife97630
Lakeview, OR
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6275721

We have lots of shamrock plants in our floral shops. This is Irish country.
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #6279393

Happy St. Paddy's day to all who are Irish and all who have a "wee bit o' the Irish" in their blood!

Edited to add: Happy St. Paddy's day to everyone else too!

This message was edited Mar 17, 2009 7:57 AM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 17, 2009
11:34 AM

Post #6279434

SLIANTE, and a VERY Happy St Patrick's Day to everyone .. with the beautiful warmth and sunshine here yesterday .. my Shamrock plants about BURST !! Several new shoots and more delicate white flowers :-)

Enjoy your day

~M~
dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

March 17, 2009
11:50 AM

Post #6279482

MarilynneS “Have MANY traditions to carry on though .. and my grandkids think me a LOON sometimes when I flip if they put new shoes on a table or open an umbrella in the house LoL”

I always assumed these traditions would be wide spread and not localised to the UK and your irish parents.

I also don't put new shoes on a table; the umbrella thing is ok so long as you don't put it over your head haha.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 17, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6279681

Well Dipsy .. my Mum was just a 'treasure trove' of 'antics' LoL
The MOST puzzling to me was the one dealing with CUTLERY !! If someone set the table and mistakenly put down 2 forks .. well we were going to have company fer sure .. 2 spoons meant a wedding was going to be announced .. and 2 knives .. well I was never sure on that one .. I at times thought it meant a strange man would visit ..
Dropping cutlery on the floor would send her scurrying to see just what had fallen .. it was quite an experience .. as well .. a young UNMARRIED or newly married woman was NEVER allowed to pour tea in our home lest she become pregnant.

Remembering all this is great fun .. I miss my Mum and her ways .. but .. as you can see .. I still remember LoL

I'm not sure if it's a UK thing .. I know many of my friends here are quite 'clued out' when I mention some folklore type of thing ..

~M~
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6279705

LOL MarilynneS--all those "antics" remind me of my grandma! I had forgotten all the silverware stuff. That's O.K.--I can still picture her wonderful smiling face :-}

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 17, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6281381

LoL Nature .. New Year Eve at our home was an event to behold at midnight !! My Mum would throw open the old year out and the New Year in .. and NOBODY but a dark haired man was allowed through our front door as the first guest of the year .. everyone else (if they were fair haired) had to come in the back way ... too much huh :-)

~M~
dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

March 18, 2009
9:24 AM

Post #6283793

We still do that at New Year with the dark haired man. You are "supposed" to have a lump of coal and a bottle of alcohol as well.

My dad won't cross knives he thinks it's unlucky and if we have knives waiting to be washed he'll set them side by side (and the same way) just to make sure that they aren't crossing.

I've not heard of any of the cuttlery ones.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America