Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Lesser-Known Hardy Ericaceous Shrubs, Part 2: Ledum to Zenobia: Kalmiopsis

Communities > Forums > Article: The Lesser-Known Hardy Ericaceous Shrubs, Part 2: Ledum to Zenobia
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Lesser-Known Hardy Ericaceous Shrubs, Part 2: Ledum to ZenobiaReplies: 1, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

January 24, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6045321

Much of the area where Kalmiopsis grows naturally is in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness of the Siskiyou National Forest. I'm pretty sure it's the only wilderness area named for the scientific name of an endemic plant. One of my summer jobs during college was sampling vegetation in that area. It's a beautiful area but most of it burned a couple of years ago in the Biscuit fire. The Darlingtonias that grow in the bogs are also very interesting. It's a great place for finding unusual plants, you can see the Port Orford Cedar in it's very small home range and redwoods just down the coast near Brookings.
dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9005319

Kalmiopsis is a name worthy of a National Forest, being so meaningful -- I'd translate it as "sorta like mountain laurel, but not exactly."

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Lesser-Known Hardy Ericaceous Shrubs, Part 2: Ledum to Zenobia Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
great/great gardenglory 0 Jan 24, 2009 4:24 PM
Thanks lortay 0 Feb 14, 2012 3:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America