Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: Are ashes good for my garden/compost?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 10, Views: 157
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rco
Toms River, NJ

January 25, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6048135

I heat my shop with a wood burning stove and therefore have a great deal of (hardwood) ash each week. My question is, would it be good to use the ashes in my compost bin or to till into my soil in the garden?
youngershirl
Orange Park, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #6090385

I can't help you because I am a newbie gardener, but I copied this from a post I found, I hope this helps.

* If you heat with wood, save your ashes to spread in the garden and mix into your compost pile. Remember to use sparingly, similar to spreading lime on your garden.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
3:31 AM

Post #6090595

There was a good article on biochar a few months ago, you may find that helpful http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1669/
youngershirl
Orange Park, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
11:09 AM

Post #6091243

Ecrane, you were right, it is a very interesting article. Thanks.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 8, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #6111731

I spread about an inch of wood ash on top of my soil and fork / rake it into the soil it is full of nutrients but dont over do it at any one time, it is so fine and powdery you dont want to block out air getting through to the soil if the ash forms a crust, also when you sweep the soot from your fire chimney, it is good for spreading around the base of roses as it helps to keep woolly mites and scale insects away from some other shrubs too. good luck. WeeNel.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

February 9, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6112022

Please note "biochar" is a long way from ash. Ash has no carbon left in it and it is mostly salts. These salts in areas of low PH (acid soil) are very helpful. But most garden sites are 6 to 7. This I have tried to use in my garden soils by topical application here in Montana (not acid soils) and it kills every thing from grass to flowers. Though I have successfully used it in the compost pile with very small amounts placed on compost just before applying to soil. Compost of course is quite acidic and this provides the needed neutralization of these salts to available minerals. Potassium, and many trace minerals. People with ph of soils of 5 to 6 would benefit with small applications.
salotew
Suva
Fiji

February 11, 2009
10:43 AM

Post #6123074

From experience I use ash to kill snails that eat the leaves of my flowers and vegetables. This method of using ashes as pesticide was used by my grandfather as it was expensive to buy pesticide in the 1950s.

I recommend this method as pesticide as it is not expensive.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6123272

Thanks for that, salotew. Towards the end of the last growing season, the slug and snail population exploded here and I had very little luck with the chemical controls. Easy enough to keep a 5-gallon bucket of ashes for that.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6124129

I use it to kill grass along the perimeter of our lawn where the edges of the raised beds are. That is why I have to be careful of how much I use. I learned this when I thought it would be good for my lawn and spread it over the snow in the spring and when the grass started to grow there was brown grass for almost the whole summer where I had put it on too heavy.
BloomSniffer
Chauncey, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2009
5:30 AM

Post #6254962

I found this, which has tips for ash and slugs, at http://www.urbanfoodgarden.org/main/vegetable-patch-management/pest-control---vegetable-patch-management/pest-control-deter-snails---vegetable-patch-management.htm

But it also says "It is...ideal for placing around vegetables that thrive in alkali soils, such as the Brassica family - Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli. In fact wood ash makes a good substitute for lime, so when a gardening book says 'add lime' you can safely substitute wood ash. "

(Lime may have longer-lasting effects, though...)
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

March 12, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6255844

Exactly it raises ph and when you already have 7 you can go to 9. That is why it kills grass here in montana.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America