Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Native Herbs, a Cherokee Look At Herbs and Plants: Reminds me of my childhood

Communities > Forums > Article: Native Herbs, a Cherokee Look At Herbs and Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Native Herbs, a Cherokee Look At Herbs and PlantsReplies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wthex
Ashland, MT
(Zone 4a)

January 25, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6050252

I can really appreciate your article because it reminds me of my childhood.

I have some Northern Cheyenne heritage in my family and live on the border of the Northern Cheyenne Indian reservation in Montana.

When I was young about grade school age, we used to go on some "expeditions" we called "foraging".
We would gather many different types of wild foods or remedies.

Some of those that I can remember are:

"Blackroot" - Used as a tooth ache medicine. It actually numbs your mouth kinda cool we used to try it just for kicks.
Yampa we also called them wild carrots, Turnips, plumps, Chokecherries, Buffalo berries, ground cherries, Wild Onions, Mariposa lilly, spinach.

I believe there were many others that I have since forgotten and sometimes think I should re-start this yearly tradition so that my children can look back upon it and maybe decide to pass it along to their children.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6050264

That is wonderful - if we dont pass them down they will be forgotten.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Native Herbs, a Cherokee Look At Herbs and Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cherokee LouC 1 Jan 23, 2009 4:12 PM
Cherokee mittsy 1 Jan 23, 2009 4:13 PM
Wild native herbs and more Allwild 1 Jan 23, 2009 7:30 PM
Cherokee and Herbs starlight1153 1 Jan 24, 2009 12:14 AM
Tend the garden Aunt_A 1 Jan 24, 2009 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America