Photo by Melody

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 142 - HURRY UP Spring !!!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 203, Views: 1,500
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6050670

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/943838/

Rose: The Friar

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6050844

Thanks, Dusty. The other one was starting to drag while loading.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6050873

You are very welcome Robin... Sometimes y'all on dialup need to remind us to make a new one...or make it yourself...It is open to anyone who wants to take it on... LOL
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #6051483

Thanks Dusty, I was fine, but sure that some were getting their nails worn down, doing the finger tapping thing while it loaded for them.

Toni, no need to apologize, I know that others have lives, even if I don't have one at the present. Everything here revolves around DMIL and her condition, where she is, how she is doing, etc, etc, etc. I am trying not to post as much as often, as I know that everybody else is probably getting tired of the continuing sage that is my life.

We have snow too, probably not measureable right now, but at least the weather liars hit is partially right!!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6051604

oh phoey I wrote something witty about the snow and the cold... it just went poof and it was gone,

I must be getting sleepy, I must need to go to bed.
Nighty nite all

Dove

Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2009
4:07 AM

Post #6051704

Bonnie don't even go there. I remember this time last year and how you all were there for me.

I am a TRUE believer after last year that friends can be closer than family.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #6051711

Toni, One day, and one day soon. You will be getting pics, and we will start planning.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6052282

Good Morning! Here I am on my first Forced Retirement day and I'm wide awake at 5:15. What's with that???

Bertie and I went to Funke's yesterday to check out the bargains. Neither one of us was overly impressed, but we did come away with a couple of bargains. Probably the best deal was the Preen that was $9.99. Bertie got something really cute for her garden, but I'll let her tell you about it.

Boy, Neal, sounds like Spring is really right around the corner! That makes me smile!!

Where is George? Check in time!! And Velnita?? And Lana??? Let us know you're okay, please.

Okay, my feet are cold so I have to go find slippers and warm up my coffee.

Later Gators.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6052742

Morning all, we got about 2 inches of snow over night, but the weather liars are sayinng that tonight about 10:00 the real weather woes start. I need to get out and get some batteries today somehow, as my wireless mouse is living on borrowed time. I got a message last night the batteries were low, and when I looked, all I had were some used ones, so I know they won't last long.

Everybody stay inside warm and safe.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6052779

Well, there is one perk to not going to work!!!! No slip sliding on the freeway!!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6054597

Hey everybody. Another day another donut.

Just came home to a couple of blessings one I went to Salvation Army and their machine wouldn't accept my debit card for some reason, (their fault) and the Manager asked me how much cash I had in my wallet and since I had just had lunch, I said not much and started putting stuff back. She said "Just give me what you got" which was a whole $6.90. I did and she packed up everything and told me to leave. I grabbed the one bag and she said no take all 3.

For my $6.90 I got 4 pair of sweat pants, 2 pair of jeans, 1 jean skirt, a kitchen knife block set (all the parts there), and 2 pairs of sneakers (Coach and Burberry and the Coach were brand new) and yes Chele you have maternity pants in your very near future).

So off I came on home and in my doorway was an envelope priority mailed from Texas. I was like I don't know anybody in Texas who should be sending me anything. So I came in and opened it and inside was the Houston Chronicles from January 20 and January 21. To my Sister Marylyn, who lurks here, thank you so much! That was beyond thoughtful!

I also had a letter from Eversharp. To tell you who they are...they are the bonus program that Sharp Electronics Authorized Distributors (like I used to be before my accident) got paid their bonus points accumulated over the year. I had COMPLETELY forgotten about them. Totally. The letter said that in '07 while I had been sitting on my rump disabled several of my customers renewed their contracts and guess what? More than a little sumthin' sumthin' was put on this Eversharp debit card they sent me. I called the toll free number and I just got myself a little short of 4 grand I hadn't planned on and need desperately. Apparently the company I was working under which folded last year had neglected to tell them I was out on disability and the money had been sitting around since the end of '07 collecting interest and they wanted to get it to me with the 1099 so I could file it on my taxes for '08. Groovy huh?

Again though, Marylyn thank you so much! (((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6054645

You're welcome. :-) You were asking for copies from Columbus and Cincy... I thought a slightly more southernly perspective would be fun for you, too. ^_^
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6054671

Wow Toni! You had an excellent day! And dang girl! You sure do know how to shop! LOL Let me know how much I owe you. ;)

Joyce, I'm really sorry to read about your job. I don't guess anyone is safe anymore. :( The news is full of job cuts, job losses and companies planning to cut even more.

Bonnie, I hope your MIL is being kept comfortable. I'm glad to read you are getting help.

I've not had to much to say about anything. Yes, shocking, I know. I went to the doctor again Thursday and my blood pressure was up again so I had to go do more blood work, another 24 hour urine and went on the baby monitor for 20 minutes. He's fine of course. The blood work came back fine too. I'm still waiting on the doctor to read the lab report for the urine (but according to the lab, those numbers were fine too. no protein!). My numbers are actually better now than they were months ago. Geesh. She also said the baby is measuring big but not how big. The last one was 8.12...

The kids had a 2 hour delay today. The teachers are counting on a closed day tomorrow. I guess we will see how that plays out.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6054715

Snow day... I have one tomorrow!!!! :O) Perks!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6054716

Chelle, you owe her $6.90!...Toni really does know how to shop, LOL.

Toni, hopefully your streak of good fortune will be catchin'! Wonderful news on the $ you didn't know you had!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6054774

Ms. Toni... what a great surprise to find money in the mail, so to speak. How lovely for you! (and I was happy to find just a $5 bill in a jacket pocket!)

I'm still struggling through 2 years of accumulated piles and piles of papers... finally bought a few hanging file folders today. Lousy selection (and quantity) at Walmart, and NO office supply stores within 45 miles. Actually, the files aren't too bad, but the plastic clip-in label holders are trash. I wonder if I can buy just them, online? I'm determined to finish at least 90% of this nasty job this week. Then I can start a new pile again with the 10% I don't know what to do with... LOL.

And... drum roll... today I formed my first (tiny) wheel of home-made cheese! It's about 3" across and nearly an inch thick... and took almost a quart of kefir to make. Right now it tastes like a good soft goat cheese I could spread on crackers. The instructions say to store it cool, and turn it every day, until it gets to the texture I want. Or I could wax it for longer storage, and eventually it would become a cheddar. At one point I had thought my spring house might make a good cheese cellar, but in our recent flooding of the creek, the spring house had almost 2 feet of water in it. Sigh.

We are supposed to get your storm later this evening and tomorrow. Ice, and then snow. Thanks a lot. :(
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6054813

Good going on the cheese Darius! That's sooo cool!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 26, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6054864

(((((Chelle))))) you owe me 3 hugs each from my cyber nephew and neices at the next round up and I expect to collect. Thank you very much :)

((((((((((Marylyn)))))))))) I just can't get over your Girl! Thanks!

(((((Neal)))))))) LOL I would say I'll save it for the round up to share but you know it is already spent in my mind LOL I needed that like I don't know what...

(((((((((Dari))))))))))) Send me some cheese when you get the swing of it! I saw a recipe on the food network today for homemade pizza but she grilled the pizza dough. It looked way yummy!

Speaking of which I need to go feed my face.

Talk later!

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6055002

You must be a glutton for punishment! That's 21 hugs you know! LOL

Darius, congrats on the cheese and bummer on the flooding and yucky weather.

Neal, I'm really sad I didn't tell Toni my shoe size. bwa ha ha ha
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #6055336

Joyce... I wish you would quit moping and get a little levity in your life...Jeezz... LOL!

Darius cool beans! or curds!

Well yesterday I got the Cab on Casters and rewired it.
Now I have to figure out the drop extensions...

Robyn and our son Mat put in a temporary heat run out to the Sewing Room.
They just used an old run we had closed off a few years ago.
I'll have to get some shots.
It comes out of the closet in the computer room,
thru the wall, across the ceiling and out the window... REAL hi tech!
But it's holding the temps out there pretty well.
And I doubled the RAM on this machine from 4 to 8 GB.
Newegg was running a sale...

Like Toni we got some good news too.
Our 1099P's came in.
Seems they took out too much in Taxes on our 401k dispersement.
So we have very nice refunds coming!

Well I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow's drive.
But my leadman drives up from near Bonnie's...
If it looks bad I'll call him when I get up and see how the roads are doing.
He will have been driving, or not, for about a 1/2 hour at that point.
Plus I can call 3rd shift and see how the roads are there.
Nice to have real time road updates.

Ric

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6055494

Yeah butttt Bro... it's the cwap in the middle and the Idjits that shoulda left 1/2 hr before that will get ya... Be verrrrrry careful...I love ya!!! I am home tomorrow... don't ask...
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6055629

Get some rest ((((Dusty))))) tomorrow. Well needed for sure.

Hey now Ric!!! Good for ((((You and Rob))))

Chele I don't usually buy shoes from Sally's but I couldn't resist those. My worthless Niece in Oklahoma works for a Coach outlet and wants us to pay her to have her buy anything for us on her funky discount. Yes I have called and left her 4 messages to call me so far since I got home...Heheheheheheeeeee
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #6055924

Evening friends, I did laundry, and did some cooking today. Guess what? Do you remember that I dried apples this summer, much to the derision of DH at the screens I constructed. I had fried apple pies tonight, and they were Oh so yummy. I did let him have one, but I should have kept them all for myself after him making fun of my methods. It worked!!

Such good news here today. Toni gets a windfall, as do Ric and Robyn. That is always welcome news.

Chele gets some sweat pants, courtesy of Toni.

Joyce gets a snow day.

Darius gets a finished block (well if you want to call it that|) of cheese!!

Seems like the ORVG group is on a roll!

We had snow overnight, and the weather liars are saying more snow plus ice tonight. Ric, what time do you have to be at work? I could give you a weather update, but it wouldn't be before 8:00!! Too late, I know.

This is grand central most everyday all day, but we got to sleep in this morning till 8:30, an unheard of event. DH had the night off last night, and it was sure a blessing for him. He left about 8 tonight, and won't be in till tomorrow morning, about 9, that is if his sister shows up at her appointed time.

The family has hospice now, but it consists of 2 nurses coming by to check vitals, an aide came today to give a bath and change bed linens, but the day to day care is still up to the family. The round the clock care is only if she is in one of their facilities. Some help, better than none, I guess.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #6056062

All the working people be careful tomorrow. Looks like you guys are gonna have some weather.

daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
3:56 AM

Post #6056144

Hello all!
I have been reading and keeping up with you all, but These med changes have been an up and down thing for me. So instead of boring you all with details. I just lurked : ) I am doing much better now and have been hitting the spring garden plans hot and heavy. I have already joined 3 coop's and placed a 'few" order's. I like Toni got a little sumptin, sumptin in $$ and have been able to play. I collect stuff then sell. I don't have a lot of money in the bank, but a lot of "junk"

Bertie inspired me with her pond and I am completely redoing mine. I wish as nice as her, but I was prowling and looking at it a lot when we visited her beautiful pond. So the whole thing is being re dug, new liner, rocks, pumps, Etc. I am enclosing the whole pond(which is fairly small) in poultry fencing and making it for my koi and mandarin ducks(minitures). I will move the patio set back there and all the tropical plants. Poor Jeff, he is already complaining about his back! my farm friends owe me a "barter" and they will also help.

So I have been having fun reading your lives, while I went through tests, Dr., Tests, Dr.?? Verdict, your fine! If I didn't think my Dr. was so good. I would think she needed money!

I tell you one thing though. Next season I will can and preserve like a mad man. I have went through my supplies way too fast. I am spoiled now and can't hardly stand the taste of "regular" canned or frozen stuff. I went from 5 shelves full and a nice freezer full of goodies to only about 2.5 shelves and very low freezer. Bonnie, can I come raid under your beds! LOL hmm.. though Darius is only 4 hours away also!

Please, Please everyone be very careful tomorrow. It sounds like a bad one coming. They keep changing here and go from 3-6 inches of snow and 1/2 inch of ice, to the new report of making sure we have plenty of candles and batteries and possible 6+ inches. They say it is very unstable at this point. Well I have all those and chocolate, coffee and am not afraid to use them!
(((HUGS TO ALL)))
Geo
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6056174

George, sure come root in my closets and under the beds, and in the freezer, I can live without much being purchased. Sure hope that the horrible weather doesn't arrive, we are all electric, and so therefore will be cold and hungry if we lose power!!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #6056231

Be careful Bonnie. There is a wool festival coming up in your area and I hope to attend. I was going to try and sneak a visit in when we confirmed we were going. This may be the deciding factor! I read all the yummy things you canned/preserved.
George
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
4:26 AM

Post #6056268

Does that festival happen to be held at Sweet Home Spun? Hehe, just up the road from me. If you come, call, I am about 5 miles from there.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #6056351

My drive into work won't be bad, but I imagine my drive home at 6:30pm will be pretty bad. I'm supposed to meet a friend for dinner after I get home, but with the coming storm, I don't want her to drive from Centerburg to Newark. It looks like we may have to have a raincheck.

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6057112

:o) Snow day!!!

George, thanks for popping back in, you always make me smile!

I think Dusty is lucky to be off today!!! She on the other hand will have mixed emotions.

I've never known anyone who made their own cheese, I am so impressed Darius!

Toni...you have friends in high places!!! Aren't you glad Chele??

Ric and Robyn...you guys are being added to the Energizer Bunny list! Still waiting on a picture.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some kind of water feature for that corner where we had the RU, but now that money will be a BIG issue, not sure what. Bill said not to give up on a pond just yet. So I'm still hopeful.

Well, gee, I'm just sooooo busy today! LOL! I do have to get my butt sat down to finish the baby afghan I'm crocheting for my new grandson that is arriving at 9:30 on Friday. I only have about a foot of it done, and they're expecting an 8 lber so I need more than that!!

Have a great day all and stay safe.

♥♥♥
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6057145

We had snow overnight, and right now it is freezing rain. For sure, I am not going anywhere. They say that we will have a break around noon, with more freezing rain tonight. DH is still with his DM, and I hope he is able to get home and get the generator ready to fire up, if needed.

Sending warm thoughts to all who are getting this horrid weather.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6057154

LOL Joyce! You make blankets according to the pounds of the recipient? I could keep you busy. LOL Oh, and haha! Most of us got a snow day. :)

I was up around 4:30 so came out to check closings since all I could see was white. There were only about 45. Within a few minutes, it was up to 57. I grabbed some juice and the phone and laid down to watch the closings on TV. By 5am, there were over 100. I can always gauge how bad it is if Cincinnati Public closes and it's really bad if Deer Park closes since they are a no bus district! Lynchburg didn't give it up until about ten after 5. Shortly after, the phone system called to let us know. It's funny out here because as soon as anything close closes, they tumble like dominoes! I finally went back to sleep around 7am and just got back up!

Two of my girls went to watch the boys play basketball last night and took a friend with them. So I am shut in with 7 girls today! I realized this morning that we only have 2 rolls of toilet paper. Looks like someone has to make a run and it won't be me!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6057212

What kind of Wool at that Festival??? I need some Long shearings either sheep or goat.. preferably Angora goat..I am going to be needing some hair for a fairy or two...I only need a few ounces, but I need it to be 8+ inches long, as light in color as possible and un washed is fine...
I will send $$ to whoever is going and could look for some for me...

Yes, I am glad to not have to be out in this weather, but no, I am not happy about being off...I need my money right now to get things done, and it aggravates me to get cut short...

I'm with you Bons...stay in, and stay warm...It is not coming down as hard, but it is still falling... :-(
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6057432

Uuuugh, I don't want to commute in the stuff coming our way. Ah well, I'll drive the van and wear my boots in case I end up stuck somewhere and have to wait on help. I'd best not forget my tennis shoes, though!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6057602

Good morning all. Looks like the south gets it this time around, instead of us! Well..we are going to get some here..in fact...already did get about an inch.
George...good to see you!!
Nothing much going on here today, except the weather. At least I can finally build a fire! We got a cord of wood from a local guy yesterday. We have some old stuff, but it is so old it won't even burn!! Just smolders! So had to get some new to burn with it.
The guy brought a dump truck load! He just dumped it in front of our garage, and Dave has to stack it. He already has two stacks ...but lots more to go!
Joyce...after you are home for a while, you will wonder how you ever had time to work!
Well...be safe out there everyone!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6057697

Marcy we are supposed to get 5 inches tonight and tomorrow morning.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6057767

6" here and a break in the storm now.
Another 6" by morning...

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6057789

It has stopped here for now...My St Francis looks like a Conehead... There is lots of it out there...I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go refill the feeders...The birds are starving I guess because thy are really going through the feed today...
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #6058039

Well we are above the I-75 corridor...so everyone to the south of that is getting more than us. Usually it's the other way around. They did say on the noon news we could get between 6-10 inches starting this afternoon and into tomorrow. Wish they would make up their minds! Guess maybe they don't really know yet.
I am going to attempt to repair a mini blind today. I have those three windows over the sink in the kitchen...and one blind has a slat that is sagging badly. These blinds were cut to fit...and when we tried to get another one, they didn't have any in our size and color...alabaster. Sooooo...I need to at least try..since it looks terrible and is driving me crazy! We always put the blinds down at night to keep the heat inside. Wish me luck!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6058150

Good Luck!

Raining here now and 23 degrees...can u say Ice!

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6058422

21* here and the snow just started again..looks like that icy kind at the moment tho...not a good thing...I just refilled all of the feeders just in the nick of time...LOLAccording to my feet.. we have over 5 inches here in places for sure...
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #6058681

Marcy I had the same blind issue last year. What I did was take the broken slat out and move the one on the bottom to it's spot. Worked for me in my upstairs bathroom.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6058760

We have about 6 inches of snow, and now freezing rain is falling. Supposed to have 6 more inches of snow overnight. DH got home from staying with his DM, but will not be able to get out tonight. He brought in the kerosene and propane heaters, in case we lose electricity. So at least we will be warm. Have plenty of quilts, so if nothing else will go to bed and pile on the quilts to keep warm.

Everybody be careful out there and stay safe.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6058931

Best we can tell, we got between 4 and 5 inches of snow. It started sleeting a bit ago. We went to my neighbors to take pictures of his new litter of puppies and by the time we came out the car was covered in ice. They are saying our total snow fall will between 6-11".

Our seventh daughter left a bit ago and we are back to six kids. LOL By the looks of things, I doubt the girls will have school tomorrow.

Oh, I got to play with puppies. hahahahahaha

This isn't one from the new litter but this is Jazzi (wearing her state champion jacket) holding JJ (8 weeks old).

Thumbnail by Badseed

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6059139

Not much going on here... just watching the creek rise. The predicted ice/snow didn't happen... YET... just rain.

Despite having no oomph today, I have actually cleared a path through my office. There's Hope!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6059859

My signal is getting iffy, so may not be back. It is still coming down, freezing rain, but supposed to turn to snow at some point in time. I bet we have 2-3 inches of ice. DH is not going to stay with DM tonight, he can't get out of the drive, and is reluctant to leave me thinking I might have to use the kerosene or propane heaters.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6059898

Good deal Bonnie! You two just stay in and stay safe! Be careful with the heaters, if you have to use them.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6060075

We're about the same as Bonnie.
Not as much ice ... yet...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #6060197

Man, what a drive home. I got off at 6:30pm, but stuck around for an hour talking with a friend I'd not seen in ages. My logic was, there would be less traffic since it would be well after rush hour. Well, that was true, but by the time I left, there was freezing rain. Aaaagh.

I stopped at a drug store and got a gallon of washer fluid, topped it off in the van and put the remainder on the seat next to me so it would be handy. Now, the van's defroster and heater have been struggling the last few months, so the ice just kept building up on the windshield. I had to use the washer fluid about once a minute just to keep the windshield clear enough to see through.

Then...Yep, the washer fluid ran out while I still had about 20 miles to go. There was absolutely no safe place to pull over since I was on The Barren Stretch of 161 (said in an ominous tone), so I hunkered down and peeped through the one clear place down at the bottom of the windshield. The road was bad enough, I could only go about 30-35mph, tops. The wipers scraped loudly as more ice accumulated on the windshield.

Ahhhhh! Thank goodness, Howie had bought a little heater that plugs into the cigarette lighter. We'd been using it to keep our feet warm on those frigid days, but it turned out very handy for keeping the windshield from completely icing over. If it hadn't been for that little heater, I don't know how I would have made it home, because that peephole in the windshield was rapidly narrowing.

Ooooh, I am glad to be home. It took me 1 1/2 hours instead of the normal 35-40 minutes. We're supposed to get 2-5" of snow on top of this, then up to 1/4" of ice, and then 2-3" more snow on top of that.

My boss said to call her in the morning if the roads are bad, because I probably won't need to come in. We'll be slow, anyway, and there's a new hire there all day with her in addition to the normal crew. From the sounds of it, I may well have a snow day tomorrow.

This message was edited Jan 27, 2009 9:52 PM
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6060610

Getting slammed up here. Forecast is for 11 inches before noon tomorrow. Chele I will get to the PO Thursday it looks like. Had business to take care of today and didn't make it sorry and tomorrow is all but impossible driving for sure if tonight's streets are any indication. Accident's everywhere and of course a rock salt shortage. Now they are using of all things beet juice LOL.

Stay warm and stay safe all.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
4:55 AM

Post #6060631

I just read the other day that beet juice is supposed to be a good de-icer. Some of the plant-based products work in lower temps than the traditional salt, so are more effective. I'm interested to hear how it works out for y'all up there, Toni.

G'night all!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
5:14 AM

Post #6060691

Pink snow... Huh. LOL
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
5:39 AM

Post #6060753

I know you shouldn't eat the yellow snow...Now not the pink, either? For those who watch The Office on NBC...I bet Dwight Schrute has something to do with that beet de-icer.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2009
5:45 AM

Post #6060764

What are you doing still up Kimberley??? LOL ...
Marylyn!!! Sooo good to see you back with us... How are you and your Bunnies doing???
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
5:49 AM

Post #6060772

Yeah, I was heading to bed, but then I thought I'd post the announcement for a scrapbooking retreat the local store's having in February. Craig's List is a PITA to format HTML posts on, though, so it took a while. http://columbus.craigslist.org/eve/1010733928.html
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2009
6:05 AM

Post #6060782

Well I am off to find my warm bed...I think I am tired...It is 25* and we have a nice crust of ice out there on top of the snow...Chootch fell thru it, and boy did I get a dirty look for putting her out... LOL

See you all in the morning...Stay in if you can, be safe if you can't...
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
6:12 AM

Post #6060795

Hi, Dusty! I pop in and out. I'm doing fine. :-) The bunnies are doing great, although the little one has this red, slightly flaky circular patch behind one of her knees... It doesn't seem to bother her, but it's not going away. It doesn't look like the pictures of ringworm on Mayoclinic.com. I hate to spend $35 to take her to the doctor's office, be told "it's nothing... put some lotion on it", and bring home 3 viruses and a bacteria as consolation prizes. But on the other hand, it's been there for a couple of weeks now, and she has been acting sleepy lately...

She's still only partially verbal (both bunnies are on the high-functioning autism spectrum, and the little one has a speech delay, although she is coming along VERY well!), so it doesn't help to ask her questions. She either says "no" or "I know!" to pretty much any question I ask that isn't a clear-cut choice. ["Does that hurt?" "No." "Does it itch?" "No." "Are you awake?" "No." "Do you want chicken nuggets or spaghetti?" "I want spaghetti, please!"]

It's a little thing, but it was what I was sitting here thinking about. :-)

You all be very very VERY careful up there in the frozen north! We have a chilly front going through tonight - the trailing southern fringes of the nasty system you are getting, too. Our temps dropped 30 in half an hour - and I'm not exaggerating! - when it reached us. It's still not going to be quite cold enough tonight for me to have to cover my begonias, though, so I have nothing at all to complain about next to your ice on top of snow on top of ice. Yuck!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6061991

It is nasty out there! Took a while to get home last night. I didn't get over 15mph. One good thing about 2nd shift. No one on the roads, I can creep along if I want to.

Mom and I just had a fight about me going to work today. She said she "forbids" me to go to work today. Excuse me?
:-(
I told her in this economy, I can't call off work just because she is worried. If I can get to work, I need to go. My boss lives in Johnstown, about 10 miles from me (a neighbor!) and I just talked to him. He said it "wasn't to bad this morning" and that all my co-workers made it in today except one man and wife who went into a ditch on their way in from Mt. Vernon. There are perhaps 60 people that work dayshift. I told him I'd walk out to the road about noon, see what it looked like and make a decision then.

Wish they would bump up Licking County from level 2 to level 3 so I didn't have to go though. I don't look forward to trying to get out my driveway in this mess! Or cleaning off all that ice from my car!

I just went out to feed the birds and take care of our outside cats. I didn't let them out of the pole barn for the day, and they were NOT happy with me. Birds were happy though. They had feed in the big feeder, but the fly through feeder was empty. I put a lot out on the ground too... they really like that. We have not seen any grackles or starlings yet - thank goodness for that, they are PIGS!

We made a pot of chili a couple days ago - going to go warm up a bowl of that for lunch... if this isn't a day for a nice bowl of warm chili I don't know what is. If I don't go to work I will have to go out and try to get some pictures. It is really pretty out there.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6062112

Guess everyone slept in this morning except Jules and I!
Well...we have ten inches of snow here! Our neighbor with the backhoe just cleaned out our driveway for us! He never asks...just drives in and gets to it! There are 3 brothers that live close to us. The one is a sherriff's deputy...the other one a farmer (our farmer)...and the third one has a cement business ...and a backhoe! And the cop and the cement guy are both close neighbors...plus their mother is our next door neighbor...just a field away. Our farmer lives over on the other road from us all.
The deputy checks on us all the time too. So it's really nice to have neighbors like that!
I made a big pot of chicken vegetable soup last night for supper...so we will be having leftovers today! Still have BD cake too! That's Dave's job though! To eat that!
I might go out and play in the snow a bit later on. It's still coming down here!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6062147

That sounds good Marcy...Maybe I will make a pot too...I'm sure glad you and Dave have someone to check on you...Weather like this, you never know what will happen...We have about 10 inches here on the hill too, and it is still coming down pretty heavy...Beautiful to look at, but I sure don't want to be out in it...
I was up at 6am, and did a few things around here...Going to try to finish grooming 2 more Poos today... Nice and warm in the basement... ;-))
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6062539

Anyone need some wood?
Another HUGE limb fell in the sideyard.
Whacked the fence and just missed the new room.
The entire yard is covered w/ it Robyn said.

We had 6" of snow by this morning.
I drove in to work in 2" of ice... then 6 more inches of snow fell.

Suns out now... power is off everywhere... but spottie this time.
Eric has a limb in his power lines.

I kinda doubt we'll be hearing from Bonnie for a bit.
They got hit FAR harder than we did.

Ric
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6062573

Yeah... Berties Daughter called her and they are in KY and have no power.. Bertie was talking about driving down there to take them a Generator..BAD IDEA!!!!!
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6062581

Hey Guys:

We're still here. Still snowing and thankfully all we got was snow and not ice. Weird storm this time. Usually we are wallopped and you guys get the break. We just got 11 inches of fluffy snow.

Don't really feel like cooking for some reason. I need to see about getting my appetite back. It's been gone for about a week or so but I am feeling fine. Weird wild stuff.

Gonna finish cleaning up the joint and then go shovel the walk. Glad you guys are safe and taken care of Jules and Marcy. I said a little prayer for us last night.

Talk soon.
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6062585

Hey BTW ((((((((((Dusty))))))))))))). Try to talk her out of driving down. Agreed...real bad idea!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6062610

I'm taking a day off. My neighbor that works for Baker's Acres Greenhouse tried to go to work a couple hours ago to check on things there. She has a little 4-wheel drive. She called me and said don't try to go to work, our road is terrible and it's not worth it. She was sliding all over and turned around and came home. Said her hubby will wait to do our driveway in the morning since I said, "ok, I will stay home tonight!"...

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6062682

I'm glad to hear you're staying home, Jules. They really do need to make it a level 3 from what I've been reading and watching.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6062761

i got lost !!!! i i lost the thread !!!
i will have to go back and read everyone's doing
son still sick and its getting worse. I think his temp is back up again. He doesn't eat ,just drink
Toni way to go on the surprise cash !!!!!!! love it . :) hooray .
got truck dug out
just in case
put it in 4x4 high if i need too.
snow stopped finaly yeah
got a it of sun felt good
got to run
sue
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6062788

GW - I don't think our Sheriff would do Level 3 if the world ended. I don't think there has been a Level 3 since Sheriff Billy left office has there?
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6062821

We were a level 3 here...not sure what it is now? All in all we had about a foot of snow here in Darke Co.
I decided I was too chicken to go out and play. It's awfully windy...and I don't like wind when it's cold!
Our new wood we got burns really good!! It's all ash and walnut. It's nice to have a fire that you don't have to keep feeding all the time!
Toni...are you sick? I wish I didn't feel like eating ...or at least not as much!! I was hungry after I went to bed last night, and got up and had tea and toast! Geesh!
Dusty, Jules...glad you two aren't out on the roads. Ric...you be careful out there!!
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6063070

The powers back on!!! It is awful here. prob about a 4-5 inches of snow, but about 3-4 inches of ice. It sounded like a war zone outside last night. You could hear big trees falling everywhere. Our back yard is basically a big hill and we heard a big tree fall and started rolling down the hill. We freaked and ran to the front of house and waited. Thank god it got caught on other trees and stopped. Now we will have to make that a priority tree when the cutting starts.

There was so much ice that my big ole 6 foot 2 oldest son who weighs about 200 didn't even go through the ice/snow layers when I made him feed outside dogs(after last years ice fall and broken arm I'm not taking another fall risk) I will be on my butt going down stairs today to take care of critter's.

Sadly though my greenhouse is toast. Well, I didn't like where I put it any way and there will be parts to salvage. I also made it too big for my needs, so hopefully I will have enough good stuff that made it to build the new one without having to replace much. I am just scared what our driveway will look like. I hope it's clear of trees. Our chainsaw is not working right now. We don't plan to go anywhere for a few days anyway, but we will have to walk down it to see what it looks like. Our neighbor could not make it to his house yesterday and wanted us to see if any trees had fell on his house.
I hope everyone is safe, sound and warm!
George
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6063170

Sorry about the greenhouse, Geo. What a pain. I'm glad that tree didn't hit your house! A cherry in our neighbor's yard split and a big chunk came down on her side. It's a scrubby cherry that really could be completely taken out and no one would miss it but the robins. Actually, last year was the first year it ever fruited since we've lived here -- 10 years -- and it was loaded with fruit. I think it was because of the previous spring's hard freeze that damaged so many fruit trees. It was making up for lost blooms.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 28, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6063527

Oh Geo what a crazy night you had. YIkes. Sure glad the tree stopped. T&P for you. Glad your ok . :)
ds is feeling better. whew kid had me worried.
got some warm olive oil , motrin and he ate a cheese pizza. good news.
got snow removal guys coming , got to get son to Dr again.
Gw hope the cherry tree does good for you this year again.
Nice to have a cherry tree. I love cherries.
well off to check on ds
take care
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6063792

FREE WOOD!

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6063825

Talking to Bonnie.
She's OK... no power.
Plenty of heat... plenty of food...plenty to read...everything is OK .
Wayne's Mother's car is under a tree... so they have plenty of wood... LOL!
Ric
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009

Post #6064093

Glad to hear everyone faired "okay".

I was awake around 3:30am and turned on the TV. My viewing ended abruptly at 5:00am when the electric went out. I put in a call then so they'd be on it. Then we went back to sleep. We awoke again just before 7:00am to the dogs going crazy. There was someone stuck in the ditch spinning their tires and another little truck trying to back back home. Why do people go out in this?? Clinton Co was actually under a level 3.

We had about 5" by this morning and it looks like we got a good inch of ice. Hubby boiled water on the grill this morning so I could have coffee. Then the snow came back. The grill looks to have about 6" of snow from today's blast.

So...after 12.5 hours with no electric, it's down to 50 something in the house and quite nippy! I'll be glad to see the house and water warm back up!

Y'all take care!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6064357

Whew, y'all have had a mess today! Glad no one has reported in hurt or frozen solid.

Somehow we escaped it, for today anyway. But we're in a Winter Advisory through Friday night except for a very few daytime hours tomorrow.

Nothin' much going on here... saw a mouse in my newest pantry room (which was my bedroom) but the lazy cats haven't spotted it yet. In their (cats) defense, I keep the door mostly closed to keep it cool, except when I do coffee in the mornings. I don't even remember where I put the mouse traps I bought 2 years ago when I had baby mice in that room...

We have a couple of nurses here, yes? I just discovered what looks like ringworm on the front shin bone just above my ankle. Research online says it's a fungus and thrives on moist areas and dead skin. My skin is dry, dry, dry and the circle is so barely raised or discolored it appears almost flat and non-existant. Any clues?

BBL... stay warm and INSIDE!!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6064371

Y'all wanna see what an Angel Looks like???

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #6064383

Ric is that a bigger tree right next to it ? yikes . good thing that one didn't come down. (knock on wood ) yes pun intended giggle
So glad she and Dh are ok !
Chelle sorry to hear you got no power. Thinking warm thoughts for you . :)
we got about over a 12" of snow
got a guy coming and plowing the drive. LEts hope he gets the circular drive right. I just worry about my peonies. The other kid took out the markers i made uhg. :(
glad everyone is doing good in this weather.
T&P to all of you
gonna go watch a movie iwth the kids. :)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6064397

ok I'll bite
what does an angel look like ?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #6064439

Looks like this...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6064560

My neighbor was here a while ago with his little backhoe and did my drive. Helped me get the ice off my car and my Mom's. He is really good to us. Now I will be able to get to work tomorrow. Thought about getting ready and going tonight and putting in half a day, but --- oh, well. Think I will just post here, then go take a hot shower and go turn on the bed warmer and watch some TV in a nice warm bed. I don't have any chair or couch I can really be comfy in - my arm swells pretty bad if it's hanging down, so I lay in bed when I watch tv with my arm up on pillows. Tough life, I know. The cat and I get pretty cozy. First cat I have had that likes to be under the covers. He almost froze to death as a baby kitten when we rescued him - vet said he only had a couple hours left and he would have been dead - and I have always wondered if that is why he likes to be so warm.

I attempted to take some shots of the birds at the feeders today through the window... well, through the window and the storm window. The pictures are not the best - but it was dark and dreary and snowing heavily. Plus, had the camera's telephoto lens at full length...so not too bad considering. The camera's flash wanted to work, and I really wasn't in the mood to use my brain and figure out other settings - so I just fiddled with it a bit till the flash didn't go off and took the shots.

The branches in the foreground are Witchazel "Primavera" covered with buds encased in ice.

I bought this "fly through" feeder after reading over on the bird forum how much blue jays like them. Blue jays were having a really hard time in our area due to illness, and a couple years ago, we didn't see any for months. Now, we are seeing some again, but not nearly as many as we used to. I buy a little more expensive seed mix for this feeder... and add peanuts, dried fruit, dry cat food, chopped apple, corn - what ever I can come up with. They will sit on the edge and look and dig and hunt till they find just the right thing. I also put sunflower in there. Cardinals, jays, finches, woodpeckers - a lot of birds use it, but the jays really do seem to use it more than they do the other feeders.

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6064569

This is a hairy woodpecker - quite a bit bigger than a downy. This suet feeder has a "tail prop" - they do like it better than the one that is just a cage to put the suet cake in. They eat out of this one till it's empty then go to the other one. This one is supposed to be big enough to hold a pileated, but I have never seen one at a feeder! If I did - I would probably bust from excitement! It was REALLY snowing when I took this!

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6064627

This one shows the witchazel buds in ice a bit better. You can also see my daylily markers encased in ice. They are about 12 inches tall - so you can see how much snow we have... but it was not all from the snow of the last couple days. There are cardinals, goldfinches, house finches, juncos, titmice, and if I remember right, a sparrow in there. I don't know my sparrows to well :-( They are eating that poultry feed I was saying I bought to put on the ground with the black sunflower. They ate a LOT of feed off the ground today! At least equal to 3 five pound coffee cans full. You can see my main birdfeeder post to the left, with it's ugly metal post covering. The raccoons climb the post so bad that we covered it in printing plates from my work, and we have a metal baffle on there too! Doesn't look good but it works. The duct tape gives it that red neck touch!

I will have to try to get a better shot of the main bird feeder. Some of you may remember Sunny - she came with me to the fall roundup at Jazz's - her husband made the feeder for me. I had an old one that he patterned it from. It works great!!!!

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6064634

Well, we got power about an hour ago. DH had to go out, and came back and reported that only one other house on this road has power. We had a propane heater for heat, a working phone,and I used the gas grill to cook, I had reading material, so it wasn't too bad. We have about 6 inches of snow, topped by 2-3 inches of ice, and then 6 more inches of snow. We had a large tree limb, about 12 inches in diameter come down across DMIL's car. It broke most of the windows out. DH did get the tree off, and took it and put it in a neighbors barn to keep out weather until he can get it repaired, or even see what the total damage is.

Sorry to hear that so many have been involved in this weather. What with Ike, and now this,there are many trees here that will be furnishing heat for some folks next winter. My neighbor said that he will have his yard cleared about August 15th!!

Stay in, and keep warm. To those who must go out to work, be safe.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6064726

George - you lucked out with that tree stopping before it hit the house! We had a terrible ice storm here a few years back - trees crashing all around... very scary! Glad you are ok!

Ric - that tree looks like it missed most things... very lucky how it fell. I love living with trees around, but it's risky when the bad weather rolls in. Hope you guys get it cleaned up without any further damage. Be careful doing that. When they are hung up on things, it can be very dangerous!

darius - we just went through a round of mice - oh, its so aggravating! I think we finally caught them all. I would give anything to know how they get in. My house cat only has 3 legs, 1/3 of a tail, and had to have a portion of his toes removed because of frostbite, which included the need to be declawed because of it, but he has managed to become one whale of a mouser. I would be embarrassed to say how many mice we have caught. I think one pregnant one gets in and then it's "Game On" they reproduce faster than we can catch them.

Chele - you have power now or not? I'm guessing it came back on cause you posted, but somehow I am confused by your post as to if you have it now or not. You don't need to be getting cold being preggers! All you need is to be thrown into early labor...

Sue - glad DS is feeling better. I have had problems with my ears, and it's no fun at all. My ears make very little wax, and it leaves them very achy sometimes, and at risk for infections. I use something from the health food store in mine (ear Dr. recommended) "Wally's world famous Ear Oil with essential herbs and oils" it helps. I put it in a little bowl of warm water to heat it a bit before using. It helps "create" ear wax for me. Dr. tried a lot of things, but I was allergic to "regular" medications... and this I can use. He said I could use "Sweet Oil" - but it is just good olive oil.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6064776

Well the fence took a hit but we can fix that fairly easily.

Eric lost another limb on his Mulberry...
remember we cut a big limb off that when the Hurricane came thru...
well now we are getting a TON more sun in the front beds!

But OH what a pretty sight ...

Thumbnail by henryr10

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
1:35 AM

Post #6064790

Where did you find the suet feeder with the tail prop?
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #6064801

darius, at a local large garden center that sells bird feeders - but I think you could find one online. I don't remember the brand name, but I have seen them several places before. Possibly a Lowes or

I had several online bird feeder places bookmarked - and they have some of the tail prop feeders ...

Do you have a Wild Birds Unlimited near you? Their ecotough feeder could be the same one I have.
http://www.shopwbu.com/index/567.0.25206.25753.0.0.0

If you scroll down on this page, they have a couple
http://www.fatrobin.com/suet%20and%20peanut%20feeders.html

This place has several, but I know mine was not this expensive
http://www.duncraft.com/Suet-and-Block-Feeders-C35.aspx

These have the same idea, but somehow, don't look quite as simply designed.
http://www.birds-n-garden.com/suet_bird_feeders.html

Ric- for some reason, I thought you lived in a housing development, and had no idea you had an open wooded edge like that to look out at!

This message was edited Jan 28, 2009 8:47 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6064831

Whoops sorry Jules... this is taken out the back at work.
We have a huge hill behind the plant.

We're actually in a 1920's urban area.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6065006

good night everyone
love the bird pics . I will look into that oil , sounds good.
Ric pretty pic of the snow
good night john boy
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6065024

Nope I'm ok Marcy, thanks for asking. Just need to get back on my vitamins I think.

Glad everybody is ok and reported in one way or another. Hopefully tomorrow's travels will be smoother for all.

Have a good nite!!!

...and yes I fed the birdies up here too!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6065069

Nobuddy saw my Angel????? ***Snifff***
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 29, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #6065119

Dusty, I did! He was beautiful! What great neighbors so many of you have!

Glad to hear everyone seems to have come thru all that nasty weather fairly well. I've only seen that much snow and ice once before in my life, so can't imagine how you all are coping. Guess I'll have to make a trip home in a week or so to check on our place. Grownut lives about 40 miles from us and she d-mailed a picture a couple of days ago with lots of ice on her trees.

I feel pretty guilty saying we dodged the bullet down here, with just a trace of freezing rain, The temps held just above freezing by a couple of degrees. Little Rock and surrounding areas had a lot of closings for 3 days, but things seem close to normal this evening, with no reports of closings so far for tomorrow.

T&Ps for you all that you stay safe and warm!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #6065174

Hi, everyone. It's good to see power restored for those of you who've been missing. I can't imagine 3-4" of ice. We have about 4" of snow, then between 3/4-1" here, topped off with another 3" of fresh snow.

About the tail props, you could take a standard suet feeder cage and just bolt it or wire it to a piece of 1x6 so there's enough of the board sticking down below to make a good prop.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6065420

Thanks for the feeder links... other than a box store, the closest bird store is 150 miles. So, the Internet it is!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #6065461

This looks like the same one as the ecotough model at WBU, and a lot cheaper:
http://www.google.com/products?q=RUBICONSF100&btnG=Search+Products&scoring=p

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6065950

what angel and where did my post go from last night ? wheres the angel ?
good morning !!!!
no school today uhg.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6066087

LOL Sue! The angel is a nice neighbor scraping the driveway!

Jules, nice to see the birds. We saw one little bird yesterday and it actually scared the kids. ;) We do see several little mooches by the chicken pens. The smallest ones can squeeze through the chicken wire and steal feed. The chickens just look at them sideways.

We had no electric from 5am until 5:30pm. It went back down for an hour between 9pm and 10pm and it's been steady since. We are supposed to get wind gusts to 23mph today so I wouldn't be surprised if it goes out again. As pretty as the trees are, two huge maples are dangerously close to the house with swinging ice and snow encrusted branches.

The trees around the property line look like palm trees again. It scary to be out there and listen to the cracking. You can hear the clicking, then the swoosh, then the thud in the distance. "Knock on wood", nothing significant has fallen where I can see it.

Bonnie, good to see you back! So sorry to hear about the car. :(

Toni, you doing okay? I heard you guys got a lot more snow up there.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6066136

I took a few pics yesterday as the ice was ending and the snow was starting.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6066139

Here is the bottom of the same shrub.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6066410

Good morning everyone!
Wow Chele...I'm sure glad we missed the ice this round! We had a tiny bit and that was all. It sure is grey and windy today...and cold! More snow coming??????
Well I finally got my sound fixed on my puter. A friend helped me get the settings right. Seems when my puter crashed, it went back to default settings...what a pain!
I got this email this morning saying well ..winter is almost over, when you can see the deer grazing in the fields again! Then it shows a pic of two deer...going thru the snow...but all you can see are their head and shoulders...lol!! Looks about right to me!
Bonnie...glad you made it back...and sorry to hear about the car! That's really too bad!
Dusty...looks like you have a good neighbor too!
Neat pics Ric! Sure looks pretty!
Melissa...did you make that cake?????? If so...what did you think?
Well..not sure what I am going to get into today...but sure I will find something here to do!
~~~~~~~~~~Waving hi to everyone!! Hope you have a great day...whatever you do!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6066591

I was scheduled off today, anyway, so I am staying warm. Howie's invited some friends over to watch the superbowl, so we have to clean. Ugh. Uuuugh. I don't feel like tackling this mass of clutter, but it's gotta be done. Howie is going to help tonight after work, so at least it'll be a joint effort.

A squirrel's been trying to get at the sunflower seed in the hanging feeder. So far, he can't quite get purchase, so the bucking feeder throws him off (it's on a long metal bracket that bounces from his weight, pretty funny to see).
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6067023

Dusty,
That's the kind of thing that makes me believe in angles.
What a nice man.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #6067040

Welllll Just sos ya knows... that is Cookies Dearest Hubby!!!
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6067049

Well three cheers and a big pat on the back for Cookie's Dearest!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6067074

He is an Angel for sure, and I love him to pieces...
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #6067200

Can I kidnap that tractor? Do you think it will fit in the back of my toyota? LOL
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6067299

Our electric just came back on about 1 hour ago.
It has been out since yesterday morning.
We got about 8 inches of snow altogether
and probably an inch of ice.
2 medium size limbs fell on our house,
but they didn't do any damage. thank goodness

Stay safe on the roads everyone.
I am glad I do not have to get out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~ To All
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6067334

It probably will Juli , considering what all ya put in there... LOL

This message was edited Jan 29, 2009 2:16 PM
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6067581

Lilyhosta
How far are you from Liberty Ky? We were looking at some acreage in Liberty, but know nothing about the area.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6067699

Good to hear you have power again Paulette. It is good thing once in awhile to remind us how pampered we have become. I jus am glad that the lesson wasn't a long one. A friend said she talked to the Utility company this morning, and they are saying it could be up to 2 weeks.

I have only opened the door for Mr. B to go outt. I have nothing that needs me to leave the warmth of my home. DH is putting out the bird seed when he does his morning feeding of all the critters.

He is bringing the puppies into the house each morning, for a meal on canned dog food. I am glad that you can't see my kitchen floor after they finish. The little buggers walk in the food and then track it all over the kitchen. So my kitchen floor is getting a daily washing. They are so funny to watch. They are porking up really good. They look like little footballs with tiny stubby legs!!
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009

Post #6068197

dovey
I don't know anything about Liberty Ky,
but I know West Liberty Ky
My husbands family comes from there

google says it 52 miles sw of lexington and I live
about 60 miles ne of lexington...

Bonnie I am glad that I'm not in that 2 week period
of having no electric..
I have been opening my door and
letting my little Jackachi (?) doggie out
she does not like it though
DH shoveled a path for her to go potty in.

always here lurking
Pauletta

lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6068217

Here is a pic of my dog
CHI-CHI

Pauletta

Thumbnail by lilyhostaky

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6068236

This storm is killing us! You wouldn't think it would kill the budget but the kids are off school AGAIN tomorrow. That makes four days of bored kids eating. The only place we can get to easily is a First Stop or Dollar General. Dollar General was closed yesterday and only taking cash today...First Stop is now out of everything including bread! Hubby had to spend $60 there last night just to get necessities we could eat with no electric. I caved tonight and he picked up pizza. Hopefully he can get to Hillsboro tomorrow.

I miss the days when we were stocked on food and when the kids went to school every day (lol) and it wasn't so darn cold! Bah humbug. Is it spring yet??

Hubby said he was surprised the roads are so bad for as much as they've been plowed and salted. The roads are why school is canceled again though.

Okay, I'm done whining. LOL

Oh, finally heard back from the doctor's office. I had the results Friday night but somehow it took them until today to call and tell me that my blood and urine tests came back fine. I still have to go take another glucose test though. grrr
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6068241

What a cute dog Pauletta!
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6068295

Thank you Chele
I am sorry that you are having so many problems.

Pauletta

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6068590

Good to see you Paulette. I still have that spider plant you gave me at the RU. LOL i didn't kill it ! i really enjoy it and can't wait to get a pretty hanging thingy for it to hang in my window in my bedroom or bath.
Neal the plant you gave me is doing really well also.
The others i have no clue on but all of them are growing great !!!
I found the angel DUh. LOL i didn't go up far enough.
Chelle i can't even comprehend all of you stuck in a snow storm in the house for that long. YIKES .You have my deepest sympathy. IF you want to run away from home , you can come here and your secret is safe with me *wink* lololll
Marcy sorry to hear you having comp trouble still. :( hope it gets fixed soon.
DS has bronchitis , went to the hosp and he got a nasal swipe , which he didn't like at all. DOn't blame him. Ewwww.
then a chest X-Ray. He enjoyed that cuz the girl was realy pretty and he likes his girls pretty LOL he flirted with her , so cute. I cracked up. He didn't like his mask i made him wear. But to bad he did good.
Ear infection too. so he got the meds and i think he 'll be ok in a day or two
Im sure my kids wont have school tomorrow either
ttyl
sue
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6068647

Hey everybody.

It literally took me from 9:30 this morning until about a half hour ago 7:30 to shovel my walkways and driveway. We are 2 inches off the January record for snow in Cleveland and will probably break it according to forecasts. My back, leg and waist is killing me. I am gonna turn in early.

Love and kisses!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6069097

DH's sister who lives next door, and is still without power called about 5 this afternoon, and wanted DH to go to their farm which is about a 1/2 mile down the road to fetch her DH. She had gone out to fill the bird feeders and fell and broke her arm. Her DH came and took her to the hospital, and haven't heard anything from them, so don't know what all has transpired.

We had some thawing going on today, but it is making the situation worse rather than better. Now instead of snow on top, it has thawed and refrozen and everything is a solid sheet of ice. I will not be going out, unles it is because the house is on fire. I don't want any broken bones this close to spring.

DH went to Lexington to pick up his DB at the airport. He has been in Florida for a month, and would have liked to seen his face when he discovered what kind of weather we have here. That would be a shock for the system.

Chele you have my sympathy, if it does any good. I don't see how you are staying sane enough to post. ((hugs)) to you.

Sue, gosh, your DS is having a time. Sure hope that the meds work quick and he is well in no time.

Paulette, what a cutie. A Jack Russell and chichuahua, what a hoot, He looks sort of like my Jackabees, only they are longer in the body. That comes from the beagle.

Toni, be sure to soak in a hot tub, and try to keep those muscles from tightening up too much. That was one long day of work. Is any more snow predicted soon?

Marcy, dear girl, you stay in and stay safe. You don't need to be nursing any owies with the surgeries you have just had.

I have opened my house to relatives, friends and neighbors, who need a shower, to do laundry, or to have a meal, or just to hang out and get warm. People are bringing things from their refrigerators that would spoil, and I am cooking it, and everybody is welcome to help themselves to a hot meal. Better things are used this way than for them to spoil.

A friend called her power company today, and she was told that it could take up to 2 weeks to get power restored in her area. What a pita.

Wanna bet that come late October there will be a population explosion in this area? Hehe, Glad that is behind me, and no, we haven't gotten that bored or cold, yet!!

Good night all.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6069290

Hey everyone...we are back on a level two emergency here...because of the re freezing.
No Bonnie, I won't be going anywhere tomorrow either. I don't DO ice or bad roads anymore.
It's nice of you to cook that food and feed everyone Bonnie. Yep...better than letting it spoil for sure.
Hi Pauletta!! Long time no see!! Cute puppy!!
Well..I'm going to go watch the news and weather...why you ask?????? I DON'T KNOW??????? It's same ole same ole!!!
Sweet dreams everyone!!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6069314

Marcy Sue .. don't you dare go outside!!! You are under a Level 3 and all roads are closed!!!

Bons.. Sorry to hear about you SIL...Hope she will be okay...Good on you for staying in...I think I would rather be hungry than risk another bone break...and bless you for being there for the neighbors...

Toni, I am with Bons on that hot soaky tub...I wish I had one tonight... I have been on my heating pad most of the day...Please don't overdo it hon...too many are getting frostbit or having heart attacks...

I hope things let up for you soon Michele... you may have to start rationing those soccer players of yours...Food only goes so far on a budget, and snacking doesn't get it...I have had to do it with Jim several times...He snacked on what was supposed to be part of supper...

Waving Hiya to everyone else...I am off to my bunk...My hip is giving me fits so I hope I can sleep...

Bro Rick... Are you guys okay??

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
3:56 AM

Post #6069319

Marcy .. we crossed...WHIO says you are still a level 3 in Darke County...
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
6:27 AM

Post #6069670

Thanks (((((((((Bonnie and Dusty))))))))))) for the concern but my back is hurting so that it's rough to lay on it. I took a hot shower and a percocet and neither helped so here I am on the net at 1:20.

((((((((((Chele)))))))))) Hang in there Sweetie. Things are gonna get better soon for sure.

((((((((((Hey Pauletta))))))))) Glad you checked in and are doing ok.

((((((((((Marcy))))))))))) ((((((((((((Neal))))))))))) ((((((((((Jules))))))))))) Hey girls!

Gonna answer some emails and pray to get sleepy!!!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #6069849

Pretty good down here.
Driving TO work has been an adventure! LOL!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6070125

I can't believe it is snowing again. Akkk,I want sunshine.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6070187

I was just reading that we might be getting a "full fledged storm Monday or Tuesday". Umm, what did we just get? LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6070190

Shoot! Bonnie, I meant to say I'm sorry to hear about your SIL! Any news on her arm yet?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6070194

Awwwwww Bons...The sun is out here shining through the ice on the trees...Looks like a Crystal Palace...Still only 19*...Marcy is still on a Level 3 according to WHIO..Taynors is on Level 2...but her road is treacherous...Looks like Montgomery county is off now...

Thinking good thoughts for Cookie this morning...Their new Grandson will be born in about 1/2 hour...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #6070207

They gotta be kidding Michele...This stuff we already have won't even be remotely gone before then...any more on top will surely be a real mess...I'm going to get the rake and try to shake the limbs on the pine tree...any more on them and they will snap for sure...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6070221

Yay Cookie! Come back with pictures when you can!

Did you all hear about that lady that went to the hospital to have 7 babies and actually had 8? More of the story came out today and she already had six kids-7,6,5,3 and 2 year old twins. She apparently used fertility meds to get pregnant again. I think the part that dumbfounds me most is that she lives with her parents and there is no mention of a husband? People think we are crazy?? LOL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6070236

Yeah, I saw that...and you can bet our overtaxed dollar is paying for all that...I know what hospital bills run for preemies...none of mine were over 4 Lb 1 oz...Take that times 8...Geeesh...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6070237

yeah new GB !!!! for Cookie . :)
good Morning everyone well o k it actually sucks !!! cold snow and wind and ice and no school and no cake or donuts :( makes me grumpy ! humphf :P
driving to the dr yesterday was something else. Drove 25 -30 mph took me 40 min to get home
Bonnie i m sorry to hear of your SIL , ouch ! poor thing. T&P for her .
Toni i got me a bath tub you can soak in LOLLLL take 20 min to fill
Ric neat pic. i love your pink flamingo. i want to get me some of them this spring.
Chelle are you kidding me another storm !!! uhg. I just stocked up but will have to do that again on sunday if we get another storm. sheesh.
ok gonna go feed kids
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009

Post #6070242

That's the news reporting on WLWT Dusty! Apparently we got lucky when we didn't get more last night!

The Village of Lynchburg ("town" about 2 miles down the road) actually is listed as under snow emergency. That's where the two little stores are that are wiped out. I guess they can't/haven't gotten trucks in. Thankfully the little hardware store was open the other day so Craig could get a 1 pound propane for our little lantern. We all sit at the table and play games when there is no electric. Not much else to do with no electric and no heat.

As far as food goes, there isn't much to ration. LOL It's end of the month and the freezer, fridge and pantry are about bare as it is. Next time I have a few bucks and think about it, I want to get a little gas camping stove. We could at least eat eggs, slow cooking for 8 but it would be hot food. :)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009

Post #6070244

where did my sun go !!!!!
it was hear i swear it was !!! and now its snowing I FEEL LIKE LUCY WHEN SNOOPY KISSES HER !!! aaahhhhggggg woops sorry my caps locked on me lolll
no beer :(
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6070257

I just saw the baby news on tv. You bet that the taxpayers will be footing that bill. That is irresponsible, and insane. 14 children, mother living at home, no mention of a "father", wonder if these were invetro? And think of all the "gifts" that companies will lavish on them, for the opportunity at some publicity. There ain't enough tea in China to get me to go down that path!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6070259

Okay, I've got ya there. We do have sun. LOL Problem is, we also have a ton of icicles hanging off the south side of the house. Hubby said he is going to go knock them off before one of us or a dog gets speared.

When I rolled over in bed this morning, it looked like there was a mountain range behind the house. The clouds were totally awesome. The top of the sky was totally "empty" but the clouds looked like they went from the ground up to the middle of the sky. It was pretty neat and I forgot to get a picture. Sigh.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6070266

Bonnie, the story is on Yahoo this morning. The mother had embryos implanted last year. She also knew there were many in there.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6070278

The grandfather did say they have a huge house somewhere and no one would be able to find them (after the babies are released). So, maybe they are loaded and won't need help? Hmmm.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6070289

I can't remember when it has been this long that we have had snow cover in winter. It has been weeks and weeks! I want to see some brown grass! Waaaa

Another storm? How can I hide this news from my Mom? She gets SO nervous and upset by weather of any kind. Every since we lost our power for 16 days back in 2004 with that ice storm, she has been really bad about it. She was always bad about it, but now, it's really bad. I have NEVER known anyone who worries as much as she does. I don't worry about weather - I prepare but don't worry. You can't do anything about it. It drives her NUTS that I don't worry about it -- but that's my Dad coming out in me.

I just prepare for things as best I can, then deal with what comes my way. Worry doesn't do any one any good, and doesn't effect the outcome at all.

Well, it is 9:30 --- happy Grandbaby Cookie!!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6070306

Well, my computer said it was 9:30 - but Dave's didn't... LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6070314

Man Jules! You have it bad if all you want to see is brown grass. LOL

Do you guys have a fireplace or generator so you don't have to sit freezing in the dark?
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6070344

OK, at the risk of sounding like a greenhorn... why would you knock off the icicles?
I think they are pretty.

Dove
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6070351

Chele - we have power --- that was a few years back.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6070363

LOL Dovey! These are hanging right outside the back door and right above the dog's cable. The are more than a foot long and would do some real damage if they hit one of us on the head or elsewhere. As the sun heats them, they get quite sharp. The ones on the front of the house can stay.

I was thinking ahead Jules. :)
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6070416

Okay, Folks, you all are scaring me! Can't beleive all that snow and ice with more to come! OMG!

Sitting here in a motel room sick, delirious on heavy meds and having trouble staying focused! So bear with me, as I try to join in the conversation...

Bonnie, hope DS is okay now and arm was a clean break.

Sue, my sympathies! LOL! I've been noticing you seem to be getting a little more frazzled with each posting you make!

Chele, hang in there. It's bad enough to have to deal with a power loss as adults, but with your circumstances (lots of kids, pregnant, end of month, etc) I know this is a major strain on you.

Dovey, yes, it is beautiful, but the weight of the ice will break even large branches and between them and ice spears falling is quite dangerous.

Good heavens re: the 8 babies. Is it just me, or does anyone with 6 kids already REALLY need to use fertlization of some sort to have more kids? Doesn't matter whether they have the money or not, it's just irresponsible! IMHO!

Yeah on the new grandbaby! Need pictures!

Sorry I didn't mention everyone by name! Please everyone be extremely careful! T&P for you all!

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #6070453

msrobin, what is wrong that you are on meds? Gosh bad enough to be sick at home, but to be away from familiar things, and sick on top of it. Akkk

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6070492

msrobin we missed you the last few days :( get better soon !!! T&P for you . :)
sun, i see sun !!!!! oh glory be sun , here i go by the window, pressing my face on the window . Oh sweet mother earth lay your golden ray of warm on me ..
this is getting bad isn't it.

Thumbnail by taynors

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6070496

Chele - Oh... LOL... and I am not even on meds... No, we don't have a generator because Mom would worry about it blowing up to much. I am serious. No propane heaters or other sources either for the same reason. We do have a woodstove in the basement. I used to use it all the time, but since she moved in, we only use it when the power is off because she worries about it burning the house down. It's a Johnson double wall wood furnace, but she is convinced there will be sparks come out of the furnace ducts and catch the carpet on fire. I have tried and tried to explain that the air coming out of the ducts NEVER comes in contact with the firebox... but... ???
Now, with my shoulder pain issue, its really hard for me to carry wood so I don't push it and let her think she won the argument.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6070501

Sue!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL I love that picture of you!!!! I want some sun here!!!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6070506

still pressing face on window. i think i m stuck !!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6070513

Sorry to hear you're sick, Robin. You take good care! If it's sinuses, have your hubby pick up a humidifier. That will help a lot, as will drinking a lot of water. (((hugs)))

Hello to everyone else. I've got to get ready for work in time to let the van heat up for 15 minutes before I leave. There's no way I want to have another icy windshield commuting to or from work!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6070522

Jules, your mom sounds like my dad with some of his unreasonable fears. If it were up to him, he'd unplug everything in the house except when someone's in the same room.

Sue, your picture made me laugh aloud. I can relate! No sun here yet, though.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6070540

COLD IS A RELATIVE THING. .

65 above zero:
Floridians turn on the heat.
people in Ohio plant gardens.

60 above zero:
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Ohio sunbathe.

50 above zero:
Italian & English cars won't start.
People in Ohio drive with the windows down..

40 above zero:
Georgians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats.
People in Ohio throw on a flannel shirt.

35 above zero:
New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Ohio have the last cookout before it gets cold.

20 above Zero
People in Miami all die.
Ohioans close the windows.

Zero:
Californians fly away to Mexico .
People in Ohio get out their winter coats.

10 below zero:
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in Ohio are selling cookies door to door.

20 below zero:
Washington DC runs out of hot air.
People in Ohio let the dogs sleep indoors.

30 below zero:
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Ohioans get upset because they can't start the Snow-mobile.

40 below zero :
ALL atomic motion stops .
People in Ohio start saying...'Cold enough fer ya?'

50 below zero:
Ohio public schools will open 2 hours late
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6070555

Okay Sue, you are certifiable. LOL I guess being locked in with 6 of them and a hubby is better than being locked in with 2 and no hubby. Hmmm. I think the lack of beer might be worse! We do have four beers that have been in the fridge for about six months. If I could stick them through the computer for you, I would! At least I can hand off the kids to hubby and go lay in bed for a bit when they get on my nerves!

I'd love to throw them outside but Maddie and Carly have bad coughs (which they shared with me!). The others have been sneaking out here and there, under the guise of animal care...

Jules, sorry to hear about your mom and her fears. I'm sure she has lived through or seen some stuff that gives her reason to feel the way she does. There are several stories recently of older people being found in bad shape (or dead) because of carbon monoxide or being in an unheated home. Some of them are younger people too. This time of year there seems to be more reports of fires too. You are good not to blow on your mom and let her have her way if it scares her.

Robin, what's wrong? Why are you drugged and delirious??
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6070564

OMG, Sue...you are losing it far more than I expected! LOL!

Daylily, I wish I could say something to make you feel better...I know how frustrating it can be with a worrying senior. Sometimes it's better, or last easier, to let them have their own way. Are you using Deep Heet ointment, or something like it, for the pain? Dress warm and be careful!

Re: my being sick...I always get a minor cold or a short spell of sinus problems when we go to a new location till I get use to the new area. This time it went from cold to flu to pnuemonia in a week's time. Doc wanted me in the hospital, but since we don't have insurance, he agreed to let me stay at the motel since I had the breathing machine with me that I occassionally have to use for asthma. Don't have much to say about the antibiotic and prednison, and the little machine is sure helping me breathe, but I love the cough syrup with codiene! ;p
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6070583

Oh Robin! That sounds dreadful! I can imagine moving around like you do, that your sinuses would get into a mess. I hope you get it cleared up quickly. I'd tell you to get your buns back to KY but then you'd have to start over again. Geesh.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6070618

Of course ... didn't think about being impaled with an icicle.

We had sun just a few minutes ago... now it's snowing again.
I've decided mid-west weather has bipolar disorder and we should start seeding the clouds with Lithium... maybe we should start in Canada.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6070620

Surprisingly, I never get sick returning home...makes me wonder if this is all physcosamatic (?).

I am afraid of what to expect back home. I know we got some ice in our general vicinity, but don't know how much or if we lost power. No one I trust to check on things. I'm going to call the electric company in a bit to see if there were any power outages. They trimmed all the trees along the lines a few months ago and no trees in our yard to damage the house, so don't think I need to worry about that. Wouldn't do any good anyway, as I heard on the news this morning that there's a lot of ice across Arkansas between here and home, so going back to check myself anytime soon is out of the question.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6070797

Dovey, I snapped a pic in the nick of time! Here are the icicles by the back door. They WERE about 16 inches long. You can see the dog's cable running through the pic. Hubby just left to go to Kroger and knocked them off before he left!

Look at the ice on the trees in the background! The are beautiful but only because they are about 200 feet from the house. LOL They are about 50-60 feet tall.

Thumbnail by Badseed

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6070841

Jules i can relate a bit with your mom. I always think someone will kill me in my sleep. :( T&P for her. I know that is hard.
Pretty pic Chelle . We need the WIlly Wonka tv LOLLL
DUsty that is toooo funny !!!! crack me up.
msrobin my Dh gets sick when he travels . Not fun
still the same here
man i m bored !
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6070909

Hey y'all. Just got home. Went to the Orthopedist this morning cause I figured I pulled something. I didn't just very very sore and dog gone if it's not snowing again. Why do I torture myself up here with this weather? Can someone tell me?

See y'all are on and doing well. Good. Everybody got lights down there yet?

Going to bed now.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 30, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6070939

'Fraid not...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6070948

Well Toni, it's not much warmer here. It's definitely more loud. But, you wouldn't be lonely and you wouldn't have (or be allowed) to do ANYTHING by yourself. LOL I hope whatever you pulled gets to feeling better quickly.

I fell Tuesday but didn't say anything. LOL I figured a bunch of my mother hens would yell at me. :) I went outside to take pictures of the ice on the trees. I was listening to the clicking and cracking of the ice and trees and trying to get pictures of them leaning and falling. About that time, the one in front of the kitchen let out a loud crack which sent me jogging up the front 2 steps. Like and idiot, I fell but caught myself on my hands and one knee. My knee is bruised and my right groin muscle is angry but I'M FINE!

About 20 minutes after I came in, Morganne screamed and I saw the branch drop right behind hubby's head but outside the window. I knew it was coming down, just not when.

Moral of the story: fat pregnant women shouldn't attempt to run on ice and snow. LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6070954

Ruh roh Janet! You still have people out down there?

We did hear from one of Morganne's friends that Sardinia has not had electric since Tuesday. :(
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6070970

Michele... do you still play on Pogo?? If your script is up, I can send you a Guest pass...It might relieve some of the boredom, AND keep a fat , pregnant woman inside where she belongs when its icy!!! LOL
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

January 30, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #6070986

Yep. we're still out at home and rumours are it could be two weeks. Sure hope they're wrong. I'm not a real good homesteader...
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6071013

Very pretty picture seed, I'd try to take a photo from my window, but I'm afraid it will show how dirty they are... it's no good leaving evidence as to my lack of window maintenance.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6071018

LOL Dusty! I still do Pogo. I never had the club membership. I play the free ones. If I thought I would win any money for my well spent time, I would have bought a membership a long time ago. I never could find any info about real people winning though. Does a guest pass give you membership benefits?

Darn! Sorry to hear you still don't have electric. I hope it does not take two weeks to get it back up and running. Where are you now? Do you have a job job on top of your at home jobs? LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6071027

Dovey, I took more pictures but did not post them because the screens made them look bad OR the kids had finger painted the windows...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6071045

Yeah it does... send me your Pogo name...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6071067

lburgmustang Original, huh? LOL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6071157

Geee wonder how ya came up with that...
However it says ...

Friend's e-mail or Pogo screen name is already a premium guest
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6071171

Hey everybody!
Just kinda skimmed through the last few days posts, we're on our 4th day without power. Its so eerily silent at night, punctuated with the cracking of trees all around, and hardly any lights within eyeshot. Some friends came with a generator, so we've finally got some puter time and lights. We've got friends piled in with us, all staying warm and cooking meals on the woodstove. I've certainly expanded my experience with woodstove cooking, LOL. I've done soup, chili, pasta and sauce, pancakes, eggs, and bacon so far. We're keeping a couple of stock pots full of water on the stove for dishwashing and sponge bathing.
Everybody hang in there and stay warm!
Neal

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6071230

Neal your a modern homesteader !!! all you need is an apron ,a wooden spoon and a strand of pearls LOLLLL :P man i wish i was at your house. ! sounds like good food yumo
I have been watching a lady beetle on my window *sigh*
Chelle WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ! ROFLMAO i know i shouldn't laugh but yeah Fat prego ladies and ice don't mix . Glad your safe and nothing went broken ! stay inside girl
even the deer arn't out !
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6071247

And just how do you know he doesn't already have all 3 Miz Sues????

ROFLLLLLLLL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6071257

ROFLLLLL i gave it a shot ? :P
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6071266

Wow!! You all have been busy this mornin'!
Yeah...I saw that level 3 here again! Cars been flyin' up and down our road. Guess they didn't hear! Told Dave he had to call into work to see if he had to come in...according to the SHURRIFFF...lol...and he just laughed. Of COURSE he went to work!! Now it's back to a level 2. It's all because of the blowing and drifting snow. Dave said he had to drive on the left hand side of the road coming home last night...because the right side was drifted..and you couldn't see where the road ended and the ditch began! And these are DEEP ditches!
ANYWAYYYY...I'm with you Sue!! I'M BORED!! However...that said...we DO have sunshine!!!!
Hopefully...I will get to go out tonight or tomorrow...when Dave can go along to hold me up...lol!!!
That was a great pic Sue!!
((((((Toni)))))))))) I hope you get to feeling better!
(((((Chele))))))))...See Why you are supposed to stay inside????????????? That would be my luck too...to fall.
I want no more broken ANYTHING!!! NO MORE HOSPITALS!!!
But guess what????? Of all times to happen...I lost a tooth yesterday! It was a jaw tooth...and I think it had been a root canal at one time. I think the tooth itself broke off...since there seems to be just a rough edge of one left in the gum. The tooth that came out has a little long screw in it...that probably went into the gum. And my guess is they won't be able to repair it..or pull what is left...and it will have to be cut out of my gum.
Geesh...how lucky is that??????? And my dentist is in Kettering. And no way I can get there right now...unless a helicopter comes by with a rope ladder dangling! Thankfully it doesn;t hurt...so the nerve is gone. Guess that's a 'good thing'!
Janet...hope you get your power back soon!!! I just hate it when the power goes out...and ours does that frequently here..on a rural co-op.
Jules...my DH is just about like your mom! We have a woodstove...but I have to do everything except bring in the wood.! And he worries about the weather too!! Except when it's time to go to work. Then he HAS to go...no matter what!! Like he isn't already retired...duhhhhhh. But it's a life or death situation to get to work!! Or maybe it's getting away from meeeeeeeee!!!!!! Yeah...I've thought about that!!!
Ok...time for me to go water my darling plants!! They are thirsty!!! And need some TLC!! Take care everybody!!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6071276

Hi Neal!!! Thank God for the woodstoves!!!! and generators too! Wish we had one!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6071277

Well, Folks, I'm not personally "suffering" the storm effects, but I just got off the phone with a "1/4 mile away neighbor" back home. Our area got hit hard too, mostly ice that not only snapped electric lines, but a great number of poles have broken too. Could be anywhere from 1 to 6 weeks before power is back up. No water. Phone and cell phone service is minimal. Roads are still tree covered. She has a wood stove, but said they were about out of wood, so I gave them permission to get some fallen trees from the corner of our property closest to them with a safe spot to get off the rode with a 4 wheeler. 5" of snow predicted for Monday. Sure glad I'm here, but wish I was home to make sure everything is safe. Of course, this time we did not turn off the water main, or turn off the water heater. Good thing though, highly unlikely we'll lose the food in the freezer. Another good thing, no signs of any pieces of our trailer or shed in the field in front of her. WhooHoo!

We've been discussing how to handle crisises like this on the Sustainable Alternatives forum for some time now, so after we all recover from this, you might stop by for a visit and get some ideas for making it through this kind of stuff in the future.

Before I forget yet again, does anyone have any seeds for Blue Eyed Grass? I know there's a specific forum to ask this, but I can't figure out which one it is.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2009 12:14 PM
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #6071307

OK, photography is so cool... my windows never looked cleaner *L*
Here is the view from my kitchen nook

Thumbnail by dovey

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6071322

All those pretty icicles sure make me think of heat loss through the roof, melting the snow up there!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6071335

Aw, but couldn't it just be from what little sun is shining melting it, too?

How you doing, Darius? Did you get much ice and/or snow? Please be extra careful fetching wood for your wonderful wood stove!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6071349

Dusty, when I went to Pogo (where I've not been in a month or more) it said I had a 14 day guest pass??? I figured it was from you so I accepted it. LOL

Hey Neal! Great to see you but so sorry to hear you have no electric.

When I fell, I cussed first, grabbed my belly, checked my knee and checked for any leaks. I knew I was fine but it was enough to make me go sit at the table and play a game of Scrabble then a game of 500 and I have not been back outside!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6071370

Smart Girl, Chele! You have no business being out in that kind of mess! Play on! :-)
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #6071868

Darius,
Not to say our roof couldn't use more insulation, the icicles are hanging off an aluminum window awning.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6072259

Hey everyone
had dinner , ate way to much, i m supposed to be on a diet, sheesh but boredom is getting me and eating is my only escape. I can't read cuz i need me the glasses. Kids are sick so i can't go walk around outside and play in the snow. I can't even go get the mail .
Jut heard on CNN that Ky might not have power for a few more weeks YIkes !!! Red Cross where are you ? !
Im so bored i could order daylillies !!! giggle but since i do have to feed my kids ( so T says ) i will have to wait. :(
two deer outside, its to cold even for them today. ususally we have more by this time of night.
dovey
Columbus, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6072313

En Garde!

Ok I'm bored too... like I know anything about fencing.
But the "Ice Saber" is totally cool (pun intended)

Thumbnail by dovey

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6072589

Who let that crazy Californian play in the snow? LOL

Since you guys wouldn't let me go outside, I did something constructive! These are the puppies I played with the other day. http://www.bulldog-kennels-of-lynchburg.com/See%20Our%20New%20Puppies.html

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6073094

Go dovey go, Go dovey go.
my what a big ice stick you have ? !
off to bed
good night
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
4:43 AM

Post #6073601

Well, we were cruising along fine, when about 12:30 our power was gone again. Have a neighbor who winters in SC, but burns wood when he is here, so called him, and went and got part of his wood pile so that we could build a fire in the fireplace. Of course, we had loaned all of our heaters to folks who are still without power. Came home unloaded the wood, made a fire in the fireplace. I cooked supper on the gas grill, and while we were eating the power came back on.

I am so done with this weather. I want warm, bright sunny days, NOW!!

Hope that all who are ailing (Toni) get better soon, and all those without power, get it soon, and all those that are bored find some activity that keeps them busy.

Chele, you stay in the house!!

Marcy, so sorry to hear about the tooth, but the good news is no pain. Hope you are able to get that taken care of soon.

Robin, sending healing thoughts to you.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6074005

Well. the good news here...I think I'm gonna live. Five days into the meds and it's finally breaking up. Unfortunately, that cough syrup with codiene that I so loved, failed me miserably last night by NOT knocking me out! Hope all of you who are sick and/or injured are recovering, too!

Having a major problem with our bank account, because there's no electricity back home. Since we have direct deposit and DH's paycheck was deposited before the lights went out, we now can not access the money. Guess there's worse things that could've happened, but I don't think the motel owner believes me. The motel rent for another week was due yesterday.

Dovey, love your blog! Is this your first year encounter of real winter weather?

Dusty, I think I forgot to comment on your weather thing above...too cool and too true!

Sue, ya still there? They haven't hauled you off to the looney bin, yet...have they? LOL!

Bonnie, that's a bummer about helping others with your extra heaters, then losing power again. At least it wasn't for long and will hopefully stay on for you.

Hope you all get some warmer temps amd lots of sunshine today!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6074127

Robin can you access your account thru the Internet?
If not call the bank and tell them the problem they should be able to help you.
Or better yet start an account there and have the direct deposit moved to that one.

Well I've never seen ice hang around so long.
Usually it's here today gone this afternoon.
This storm has allowed Robyn and I a lot of picture taking opportunities.
Add the fact that there was sun and clear skies...magical!

I'll be uploading these to our Flickr account soon but here's a few.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6074145

We got about 2" of new snow at home Thursday night.
Maybe an inch at work.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #6074153

Robin took this one of the Hibiscus out front.

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6074159

Here's our street yesterday.

Later!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6074193

Ric, cool pics! If you don't mind, after I can get out to get some paint supplies, I'd like to use a couple of them as the suject of a couple of new paintings.

Yes, I can access our bank account, but it only shows 3 recent check card purchases for the month of January. Yesterday, it didn't show the actual deposit this week, but the amount was included in the account balance. Al has tried both yesterday and this morning to get cash from the ATM and gets a message saying we have exceeded our daily withdrawal limit. Bank should open in a few minutes and I'll be calling them then.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009

Post #6074239

I feel for ya Robin! I don't know what is worse-not having money or having money you can't get to. Both are equally frustrating! I hope the bank can get it straightened out. When we were going to be offline for a bit, added to a 3 day to 2 week electric outage, I set up everything on my cell phone so I could get to it. Of course if the bank is messed up, that won't help either!

Dovey, you should see the icicle by my bathroom window! It more than doubled in size since yesterday. It has to be close to 4 feet long and thicker than my arm. Even hubby commented that one would kill somebody. LOL It's growing an evil, nearly attached twin.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6074257

Feel free to use them Robin.

I'm off to get some more pictures.
IF the camera doesn't freeze up.
It's 1 here...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6074300

Ha Ric! I've got ya beat. It's a balmy 4 in Lynchburg. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6074366

5 now a HEAT Wave!
I've been out hiking around.
Had to resurrect the old Winter Gear.
I bought special Shooting Gloves years ago.
The are fingerless wool gloves w/ a mitten cap.
GREAT for taking pictures.

We're supposed to hit near 38 this afternoon.
48 Tomorrow...bye bye Ice!

Well I can feel my toes again and my mustach is no longer frozen.
Off to the Great White North.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6074425

Good Morning...It just got up to 4* here too Michele...It was 2* when I got up...I am still giggling from yesterday...Cookie brought me my utility bill...She was hesitant to give it to me, because she thought I might pass out...I looked at it and laughed...We are on Duke energy now, and both the gas and electric are on one bill...Yeah it looks big combined, but they break it down to show what each is...I know one thing for a fact...I will NEVER live in Vectren and DP&L territory ever again...This bill is nearly $300 less than our bills in the small house in Dayton last winter...
Our gas bills alone were almost as much as this bill is, so I feel plenty blessed...This summer we will be adding more insulation, and once that canopy is down out back, there will be more sun to warm the house as well...Plus, we still have a leaky door in the back hallway...AND we are even heating a basement we didn't have in Dayton...
She can bring me a bill like this one anytime...LOL

I also got my notification from SS on the additional amount I will be getting...I am going to be working out a budget and see if I can manage to retire after all, or maybe just get a part time job for 20 or so hrs...
There won't be any money for extras, but we won't starve, and my bills will be paid...Once I get the garden going, that will save me a fortune in food bills...Wonder if I can raise Bird seed??? These pigs cost me more than my dogs do!!! LOL

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6074571

Time for a new Thread...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/947990/
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6074599

Dusty, a lot of that stuff in the birdseed I buy that the birds scatter on the ground does grow. I'm guessing at the end of summer, we'd have to cut back the plants and hang upside to dry? I didn't get that done back home, except with the mammoth sunflower heads I wanted to dry. The birds got to them though and ate every seed. So...I'm thinking if we just spread a couple of handfuls of seed on the ground and protect the seeds to keep the birds away, let it grow over the summer, then harvest and dry in the fall, that we'd have lots of seed for next winter. At least it seems like a bright idea to me! LOL!

{ Copied to new thread }

This message was edited Jan 31, 2009 9:50 AM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6074837

Niger Thistle can be grown but it's not worth the effort.
It will not though come back from the stuff you buy.
It's been treated so it won't germinate. It is not Thistle but a member of the Sunflower Family.
Just keep back about a pound of the mixed seed and sow it this Spring.
Wild thistle is about the best Goldfinch food around. Let some go.
It is also a Hawkmoth magnet as is the Butterfly Bush.

I'm in from shooting more photos.
It's up to 18 (Wind Chill 6) now.
The ice is melting fast in this warm sun.
Maybe another hour of good light and the photo ops will be gone.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America