Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: When Seed Selling Was A Seedling - a brief history of mail order seeds in the United States: Nice!

Communities > Forums > Article: When Seed Selling Was A Seedling - a brief history of mail order seeds in the United States
bookmark
Forum: Article: When Seed Selling Was A Seedling - a brief history of mail order seeds in the United StatesReplies: 8, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2009
6:42 AM

Post #6052021

Great article, Carrie. I've added a link from my seed-saving article to your article, along with directions for accessing other theme week articles. Best--Larry☼

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6052535

Thanks, Larry. There's already one to yours in mine, right? Yours was REALLY interesting and exciting; those are things I never thought about before.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6052833

Well done! I shouldn't have doubted that this could be interesting. Good point about the lack of other reading material choices, and the dissemination of info from East to wild West. I do save the really good catalogs each year as a reference.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6053114

How on earth do you keep track? And I doubted it would be interesting!!! Thanks for writing, Sally!
duchessdreams
Reno, NV

January 26, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6054226

Great artical! I have a reproduction of a Sears catolog from the 1800s and love how much it contained. Fasination way of looking at history.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6054521

What a great article. I remember the Burpee catalog in my grandparents living room back in the early 50's. I never thought of it as a historical document until now.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6054798

Oh, Burpee and the rest all have archives now and are actively collecting that kind of stuff. Thank you for your kind comments!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6054939

Great article--one of my favorites from the theme week! As an avid reader, I had a moment of horror at the thought of how hard reading materials were to come by. Not that I don't pore over my seed catalogs anyway, but I'd hate for them to be the ONLY thing to read! No wonder Lincoln would walk miles to borrow a book. . .

:o)
Angie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6055464

Oh, I know! I've got to have something to read to get myself to sleep at night. My house is overflowing with books, because I can't bear to let them go. Imagine how desperate you and I would be - we'd be reading the "begat' chapters over and over, until the seed catalog got there in the spring. Thanks for your comment, Angie!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: When Seed Selling Was A Seedling - a brief history of mail order seeds in the United States Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Catalog Education Noturf 1 Jan 26, 2009 1:58 PM
Seeds phicks 3 Jan 13, 2011 3:13 PM
Back to the Future cando1 1 Jan 27, 2009 2:34 AM
Wheelchair comment alinehuey 1 Jan 28, 2009 3:21 PM
Reknowned Anna_Marty 1 Jan 29, 2009 6:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America