-
AuthorContent
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 26, 2009
6:54 AM

Post #6052039

Happy Chinese Lunar New Year to those that celebrate.
Its also Australia day in Aussie, where everyone dons the thongs and singlet and has a Bbq at the beach while drinking copious ammounts of beer! *Burp*
Having a great time, wish you were here.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
7:05 AM

Post #6052048

Sue - what a coincidence!!!! I was writing my new year's greeting the the flowerpot cafe 18 while you were setting up a new thread. Maybe I'll bring the laysees over to here too. LoL

Happy new year to you. And What a lovely arrangement - with the fan, chopstick, and cup.

My heating system just went out, so drinking beer, and having a romp on the beach with the sun overhead sounds wonderful

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 26, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #6052238

G'day Sue, Happy Australia day! A party on the beach sounds great!
Lovely arrangement with the red Hibiscus, very inviting with the chopsticks. Thanks for the thread, I'm looking forward to this banquet!

Happy New Year to you Dianne and Karma! Have a great year, wishing you all good things!
Will you be celebrating at a festival?

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6052349

Sue, be sure to party hardy and I know you will. Happy New Year to everyone hoping that every day is twice as good as the one before. Enjoy your beach party, I'll be thinkin bout it tomorrow when I am shoveling a foot of snow!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 26, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6053230

Sue!!!! Great Woman of the Weed. Good to see ya. Happy Australia day. And Happy Chinese New Year to everyone. Thanks for the thread and the arrangement. It's beautiful. How are you? Busy tending to green things I'm sure.
Hope you have a wonderful day at the beach. 'Burp'
I'll be thinking about that too Candee. We are in for snow, ice and all sorts of nasty coldness for a few days. While you'll be shoveling snow, I'll be picking ice. Hey, we have the start of a country song. "Sheesa shovelin' and Imma pickin'. hehehe

Terri, to help you feel better, here is a whole batch a hazlenut truffles all for you. And for the rest of y'all, I made a big horkin' ten pound batch of the little goodies. Sue you better dig in fast cause they will melt in no time at the beach.

Dianne, sorry to hear about your heater going out. Hope you can get it fixed soon. In the meantine, here's bourbon balls to the rescue. Yeee hahh!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2009
6:07 PM

Post #6053492

Can I trade somethin for the bourbon balls, they are favorites here!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 26, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #6053763

You betcha Candee. I have more than enough balls- bourbon that is.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 26, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6054452

Hi everyone!
Thanks for the truffles Plantgeek, yummy.
I've made some Spring Rolls!

Thumbnail by terriculture

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 26, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6054463

There's plenty to go round, tuck in!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 27, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6055417

Oh Tez, there you go again being clever! Spring rolls, what a great idea.
Hi Candee, Dianne and PG. All has been well here, just so very busy and short of time. When it starts to warm up over your way, it'll be getting cold here and I'll be the one wondering where everyone has gone!
Bourbon balls, yummmm! forget the hazlenut truffles when there is liquer involved! He, he
Sue
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
5:19 AM

Post #6056422

Another ingenious creation, Terri. I would have never thought of it. What is that twiggy springroll with the pinkish blooms?

New years is celebrated for at least 15 days, up to a month - so it is one big eating fest. There are a few celebrations around our town, but nothing like in San Francisco. I went to see the parade there last year, but it was cold and rainy. I'll have to do it again when the weather is better. One bright note was that we stayed in a Japanese hotel with a soaking tub, so it was great to be steamed after being frozen. LoL.

I don't have any offerings at the moment, but here is some good luck money for all of you.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6057126

Hey Dianne you read my mind, we can sure use the money here. Haven't mentioned it but Steve will join the ranks of unemployed this Friday as his job was abolished conveniently just 2 years shy of retirement.
Terri, now got that off my chest, lets move forward. You are truly the hostess with the mostest! How do you find the time?
Sue had forgotten you would be trying to keep your toes warm when we are basking. We are in a reall storm here today. I didn't attempt to cross those 2 mountains to work and will likely not be able to tomorrow as well. So will hunker down here and do some cleaning.
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 27, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6057457

Candee, so sorry to hear was treated in such an under-handed way. Such is the world of business (it's why I'm self-employed). I hope you both find some kind of ease through it.
Things are a bit tough this way too, work is slow and spotty. But if it comes down to it, there are plenty of squirrels around, ones we have fattened for the past few years. LOL
Just joking Terri.

Dianne, thank you for the $ offerings. That is very kind.

And my, what yummy spring rolls (and yes, clever, like Sue said). One of my favorite dishes next to dumplings.

Sue my dear, here is a box of extra punchy bourbon balls just for you. See you at the beach. Burrrrrrp
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6057808

Thanks geek, you may not be aware of this but I make one heck of a squirrel potpie. You would never know it is squirrel! Am a bit sorry that Steve didn't get a deer this year, would sure like to have 1 or 2 in the freezer right about now. Isn't that the way it always goes, he has never gone one single year w/o a deer until this season?
I am gonna have one of those balls before Sue gets back in here by the way!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 27, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6058042

Hi everyone!
Thank you all, glad you like the spring rolls. The twiggy springroll is Broom, a bit past it's best almost dried infact, but I thought it still looked nice in yellow and pank!. The leaves were stapeled together sitting in a tray of water, then the flowers were added, no oasis used. I made them last week!
Sue, we know it's a really busy time for you mate, no worries! It must be exhausting working in other peoples gardens and your own, in that heat. We haven't seen Brom Palace for a long time, it must be filling up nicely?
Dianne, Thank you for the good luck money, how very generous! Does it say 'Happy New year' in the chinese writing? I was going to attempt to make a banner in chinese writing, but it looks very difficult!!
especially for flowers. Do you have a chinese teapot? or rice wine?
Plantgeek, it's ok!! those pesky squirrels get on my nerves stealing my bulbs!! If you all want to eat meat that's your business . All I ask for is an alternative!! Enjoy the beach, wear a hat!
Candee, moving forward... good to hear you are!
I'm glad you didn't attempt to go to work in those conditions, please stay warm and safe.
I think your frosted flowers would be lovely in here!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 27, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6058055

My offering for today is ... 'Birds nest soup' enjoy!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6058314

Hi All - Gung hay fat choy! Not sure exactly what the envelopes say (I only know how to write my name and recognize the characters 1-10 in Chinese), but I am sure somewhere in there is the characters for Happy New Year.

Candee - so sorry to hear the news about Steve. I am especially hopeful that this year of the OX will bring good luck to you both.

Here's a pot of chrysanthemum tea making a reappearance for this auspicious occasion - ringing in the new year with good friends.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 27, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6058653

Hi Dianne, Thanks for the Chrysanthemum tea, very refreshing!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 27, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #6058660

Katie made a flower cake for us to have with our tea at the cafe'!

ellesgh
Humansville, MO

January 27, 2009
10:36 PM

Post #6059156

hey
here is eggs for the chinese new year
it snowing like dog and cat
we are ready for the night
dave and i got every thing done for the day
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 27, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6059289

Oh, my achin' belly. It's so full of all the goodies y'all brought. I'm gonna have to roll out of here, but with all this snow, I'll roll myself right into a snowball. Just shove in sticks for my arms, coal for eyes, a big carrot for my nose. And a feeding tube for more of Candee's squirrel potpie, Terri's bird's nest soup, Dianne's Chysanthemum tea, Elle's eggs...
Hey, where's Zany and Blossom?

I made more pound cake- orange with white chocolate icing. Ooops, there went another button. See ya outside.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6059290

Hi Elle - thanks for the farm fresh eggs . Boy, what a difference in size between the two. Are they from different kinds of chickens, or is that just within the normal range of chicken eggs? You can tell that I am restricted to getting my eggs from the store - graded small, medium, large, and x-large.

Terri - tell Katie the flower cake was very tasty. Thanks a bunch!!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6059299

oh - and Plantgeek - we must have just passed each other - didn't recognize you with your carrot nose LoL.
Thanks for the pound cake . I always wear elastic this time of the year - the more stretch the better.
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 27, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #6059303

Oh yes, where's my brain? The flower cake was so good, I couldn't eat any thing else for dessert. All that rolling in snow froze up my thinker.
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 27, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #6059315

Hehehe. Yes, we did pass each other. Hey, with this disguise, I can make extra trips to the table and no one will know. The elastic band is a good idea too.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 27, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6059380

Wanna borrow my mask? great disguise!

Hi there elle, glad you joined the New Year celebrations! Eggsactly what I need for the egg fried rice, Thank you!
Good you got all your work done, animals fed and watered, time to play!
Plantgeek, Katie would like a slice of your orange cake with white chocolate icing please! and she's VERY happy you both like the cake! Thanks Dianne.

ellesgh
Humansville, MO

January 28, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6059789

i love the cake too
i getting so many egg i got to find
way to cook and bake with them
it just the two of us
elle
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6061587

OMG so many sweet folks with such sweet treats. I could have gone to work after nibblig in here there would be plenty of weight in the drivers seat for good traction after these desserts.
I got up this morning to some real icy quince.
Hey elle, you stay warm now in all that snow - those must be some prize chickens you have layin over at your place. Guiness size eggs.
Terri that soup is divine and Dianne that tea is a ray of sunshine in tis gloomy weather.

Thumbnail by haighr

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 28, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6061620

Hey y'all, wev'e had a major ice storm and now, blizzard like conditions with a few inches of snow, gusty winds. We may lose power so if you don't hear from me for awhile, you'll know why.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6061641

Hope you keep the power there, if not wear a lot of layers to keep warm, sure you already know to do that. We have major ice, and are iced in but so far got the power.
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 28, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6061684

Katie is always welcome to anything she wants. In fact, I made a chocolate marble pound cake with raspberry icing and she can have the first slice.

Candee, I think that if one gets fat, one should get fat well. ;)

Elle, maybe it's time for some quiche.
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 28, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #6061715

Yeah, it's bad all over. Kentucky has been declared a state of emergency along with several other states. The power started flicking last night with the ice and now the added weight of snow, wind is very dangerous. We aren't so worried about ourselves as much as for the snakes and. If we had to go to a shelter, I would have to sneak them in under my shirt. The cats are not so much a problem, but folks just don't like snakes on the whole.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6061892

Knock Knock!!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6062359

I'm late as usual but luckily for me the rest of you have kept things moving. The florals are great and the birds nest soup looks delightful.

Candee... BRRR! I can't even imagine what your heating bill must be during the winter!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6062444

Blossombuddy - glad you found us.

Zany - better late than never LoL.

Happy Chinese New year to the two of you.

My heating system is still out, but the house is able to maintain a little of the heat it gets during the day. It was between 50-55 degrees inside this morning. But, I will sound like a wimp if I complain about that while all of you - Plantgeek, Candee, Blossombuddy, Elle, and others - who are dealing with sub-freezing temps and snow and ice. Hope this storm is over for you soon. Maybe it is time to go on a short trip to Sue's place to thaw out.

Terri - how is the weather in your neck of the woods?
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

January 28, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6062604

hi all
we here on the fram is doing good
egg still coming
rabbit is do ok
goat is do ok
elle
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6062790

LOL Dianne 55 degrees. I turn our heat down every evening to conserve and when we get up in the morn it is 55 degrees in the house! We still have power and no melting going on yet, hope to get to work tomorrow, shoveled a lotta ice today.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6062825

Well, we made it, late as usual but we just had a lousy couple days. Hubby woke up not feeling good so on Tuesday we trotted off to the doctor...ended up going for test, cat scan and all thinking he might have had a real serious blockage...finally after 12 scary hours we got home. Thankfully no hospital stay, thankfully no serious blockage, our grave concern turned out to be a little constipation... but with him, since he had some serious surgeries in the past, a little constipation can be a really big bad thing. Hoping he gets back to work tomorrow.

It's cold here, got 2-4 inches new snow and just trying to relax and catch up on some correspondence while he takes a nap. I am soooo behind so ya'll are gonna have to grin and bare me! Especially my swappers!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6063396

I just realized that this is the first time in over 30 years that I didn't see any firecrackers set off in doorways for the New Year. This neighborhood needs more diversity!!! I miss the blending of cultures that I always took for granted. Here we have 85 percent eruo/white, 12 percent Mexican/American/American Indian and 3 percent African/American. I know there are Asian/Americans in the surrounding towns but as far as I can see there are none here. Hmmm, if the job market here were better I would have to start recruiting people to mix things up for a better blend! We need Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Indian and... and...

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6063458

Glad to hear the health issues are resolving blossom, Zany, what are you talkin bout??? LOL
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6063876

Well, the health issues sort of are..don't really know yet other than the test shows nothing, he is still complaning.. which is not good.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 29, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6066275

Hi everyone!
Sorry to hear about the nasty weather you are having, hope everyone is ok.
Dianne, It has been cold bright and sunny here, 41 degrees, but we are expecting bad weather in the next fews days.
Blossom, glad you found us again! Sorry hubby's not too good, give him one of Plantgeeks fruity unblocker juices, that should sort him out !
Zany and Candee, glad you enjoyed the soup, I forgot to leave the prawn crackers!
Thank you for the frozen quince pic Candee, ohh looks so cold!!!
Plantgeek, Katie loves chocolate! I know my girls come in the cafe to spy on me and chuckle from time to time to see what I'm getting up to! Hope you keep your connection.
elle, how many goats have you got?
Have a good day all and keep warm. except for Sue, stay cool!

This message was edited Jan 29, 2009 3:03 PM

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 29, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6066830

Madame Zany! Glad to see you back in these here parts. Please help yourself to bourbon balls and a mug of mead that just had a 3 year birthday, or should I say brewday.
I understand what you mean about your neighborhood. Mine is lacking in diversity as well.
It's like going to a buffet, but everyone eats only potatoes. I love spuds, but dang, try a bite of that spicy meatball please! Louisville is somewhat cosmopolitan, lots of little pockets of folks from Viet-nam, Laos, India, Russia, Mexico, Central America, Persia and so on. But mostly, they tend to stay to themselves in their own neighborhoods. This is, overall, a class driven city smack dab in the bible belt, resistant to change and those who are different. However, we do have our moments- the Festival of Faiths, and then there's a week long international food fest, Greeks, Germans, Persians, ect. We do like to eat here. After gambling, our big 3 things are restaurants, bars and churches, not nessacarily in that order.

Hehehe, Blossom, I'm sending you home with a jug of my special recipie for your DH. Cheers

Terri, glad Katie liked the choc. Here is a batch of turtles, choc./praline covered pecans and a bottle of Tums. lol

Glad to hear everyone is warm (or cool like Sue) and in one piece.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 29, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6066889

Hi Plantgeek, what is Tums?
Good you haven't lost your connection!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 29, 2009
7:04 PM

Post #6067309

plantgeek88, Exactly! Too many potatoes makes it a bland world indeed. I always enjoyed living and working in a well mixed society. It made for fabulous potluck meals and interesting conversations and lead to friendships that did not depend on our similarities of genetics but on our interests in life and our differences of taste and opinion.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6067803

Thanks guys! He has to go back to the doctor tomorrow.. lets pray for a release so he can go back to work.. not that I don't mind his company...just want him healthy.

Catch you guys later, but you know the drill if I am not here!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6068102

Happy New Year everyone! Just wanted to stop in and drop off some flowers and goodies for the celebration. May you all have a great year filled with love, happiness, and prosperity.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 29, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6068238

Hi Karma! Happy New Year to you to! Lovely red vase and Forsythia, Thanks so much.
yum, I'd better check out those goodies. Have a great year!

Zany we certainly have a variety of folk here in London. On our high street, we have African, Jamacian,Polish, Chinese,Turkish, Indian and Greek shops to name but a few! The Scotish, Welsh and Irish are here too! The menu is never boring with so many ingredients to chose from!

Good luck Blossom, hope Hubby's ok.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 29, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6068266

Karma, someone asked about florists wages on a new thread, maybe you will be able to help her? Thanks!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 30, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6068394

TUMS are for the tummy when we overindulge. Please pass these to Sue. hehehehe

Thanks Terri. We still have juice, but high winds are rolling in tonight and everything is still frozen, encased in thick coating of ice- about half a pinky finger. There are about 3,000 out-of-town utility workers slaving away to get power restored to folks. So far, we have been very lucky. If we can make it thru till Saturday, temps will start to rise for a couple of days. Then we may get slammed again with snow on Monday. Hey Sue, got room for some very silly folks and their critters? Iv'e got chocolate. I'll even do your weeding.

Karma, long time no see. Welcome back and thank you for all the goodies. A bright spot of spring here in the cafe, yayhhhhh! Much needed. Please help yourself to a cushy chair and a helping of sweets.

Cheers to diversity! I want Anthony Bourdain's job. lol (Travel Channel show) He gets to travel the world meeting interesting people, places, eating good food. Although I have to pass on the seal eyeballs. Eeeewwww!!!!

Y'all stay safe and warm.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6068912

Hey Karma - glad you pop in. Love those forsythia flowers - you are way ahead of me - they have not started to open up at all here yet.

PG - with those extra 3000 workers, hopefully your electricity will be maintained through both storms.
Zany - I am very fortunate to work in a university environment were we get students from all over the world.

Candee - contrary to your frozen quince, mine's did not get the memo that it is winter, and that it should have dropped all it's leaves already. Here is a photo of my flowering quince that thinks it is still spring.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6068926

I had to search high and low for a few leafless branches that did indeed have some blooms. In a normal year, the shrub is covered with these blooming branches. Since it is one of the few flowers available this time of the year, they are very popular in Chinese homes for the New Years.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6068935

And, in honor of New Year's, my daughter made some bowties - fried, and dipped in a honey-brown sugar syrup. Guaranteed to be no-calories. LoL.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
7:15 AM

Post #6069715

And lastly, I think my mom said that this character is the Chinese word for luck. So, I am hanging this in the front entrance of the cafe so that it will bring good luck to all that passes through...
Blossombuddy - hope your husband feels better
Candee - may Steve find the golden lining in this turn of events
Elle - may your chickens continue to lay gigantic eggs and your rabbits multiply like bunnies are famous for doing
Zany - may you be going out with long walks with Bob in the summer evenings
Terri - may all your flowers thrive so that you can continue to grace our lives with creative arrangements
Plantgeek - may you continue to be the life of all of our gatherings
Karma - may this be the year where you get the chance to do tons of wedding flowers,
Sue - may you continue to have big yards to take care of and lots of land to weed,
for those of you whom I don't know very well and visit this site periodically, may this year be a grand one for you too and
All of you who are in stormy area - may you survive them unscathed and intact
and by the way, I have heat now :)))).

Thumbnail by soilsandup

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2009
11:32 AM

Post #6069879

Terri, I would answer if I knew about current wages. Unfortunately, it's been 6-8 years ago since I worked at a shop.

Plantgeek, hi ya! I want Anthony B's job too, minus the menu.

Soils, your quince looks lovely. I have a couple of small bushes, but they look lifeless. The forsythia was store bought. Guess that's one of the reasons I'm ahead of you, lol. What I really really want are cherry blossoms! I'd have to move to grow some of that in my back yard though.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #6069984

Wow Dianne, thanks for all the blessings, they are very well received. As for me do not want Anthony's job, I would have to starve to death LOL! I am a meat and potatoes girl! I would love the travel, but would have to pack a lunch!
the branches look great all of them. Ours are still coated and hidden in snow so will savor yours.
Bowties, never heard of them but they look scrumptious and oh yes, they are!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

January 30, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6070626

thank you for all the blessing
i thing every one need them
elle
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6071086

Hi everyone! Hope all are warm and well.

OH LA LA! Pretty arrangement Dianne and Thank you for all the wonderful blessings and the good luck wishes for all that pass through the cafe' entrance. Your daughter's bowties look delicious, how are they made, is it batter?

This message was edited Jan 30, 2009 5:36 PM
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

January 30, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6071473

hi terr
how you doing
i find
thing are going ok
we that dave and me are trying to fix it for i can stay home and make a living on the fram with him
elle
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6071548

Hi elle,
I'm suffering with a cold still, just can't shake it off. Thanks for asking!
That would be great if you could work with Dave staying home on the farm.
With your good ideas I'm sure you will make it work.
The old folks will miss you elle!
What have you been making with your eggs? any cakes or merinque? lol !
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 30, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6071549

Dianne, thank you so much for the blessings. We are all very blessed as well to have you among us. May you continue to dance your happiness, passions and joy through the rest of your days.
All those goodies looks soooooooo good. And the blooms are a real pleasure. Thanks again.

Our weather here has made it to CNN news. I guess that makes us officially in distress. lol
We are still hanging in, still have power and water. Very lucky to btw.

Terri, sounds like you are feeling better. The threat of my juice recipie must have scared the germs right out of ya.

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 30, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #6071554

Looks like I spoke too soon. Allrighty then, hold your nose Terri. Here comes a dose. lol
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6071565

do I have to? YUK!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 30, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6071576

Hehe. No, you can sit there and be miserable or you can just get it over with. Here, I brung ya a batch of truffles.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #6071579

Hope you are not in distress for much longer Plantgeek.
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 30, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6071600

Thanks Terri. We are a bit stir-crazy, but at least the sun is out and none of our parts have frozen off.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6071641

We don't get CNN news, it must be bad. Stay safe friend, cool dude!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 30, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6071657

We will, thanks again my friend in crime. lol Here, i made you a yuckyless batch of cold medicine. Tastes just like key lime pie at the beach. Enjoy
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6071679

there ya go again... what the heck is key lime pie?
Thanks for the medicine, Oh fine healer of all ills!!!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 30, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6071798

Ah, grasshopper. Key lime pie is one of the most delicious citrus concoctions one can ever hope to experience. Meditate upon the essence of lime from a mythical land called Key West, Florida. Allow your taste buds toimagine this fruit rendered into creamy tartness, resting under a blanket of sweet merangue (sp?).
And now, as you bask in the glow of the setting sun of the tropics, let your culinary awareness become filled with the refreshing balance of sweet and tart. Perfection in pie.
Life is good.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6071877

Many Thank for your enlightenment!

Sounds fabuloso!

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 30, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6072032

Oooweee, but isn't that pretty! You work fast gal. Why, I can taste the lime now. Thanks Terri. Glass of refreshing limeness in hand, bare feet propped up, face turned to the sun, I can call it a most pleasant day. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

January 31, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6074613

hi all
hope you feel better
it just take time to get over an old cold
i been making any thing and every thing with egg
the chickern slow down 1 egg yesterday
oooooo
i know they will miss me
but my health come frist
i can go visit ant time
elle
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #6074898

Dont feel bad elle, mine have not laid an egg in weeks! Too cold.

I just got back from the grocer and had to buy some.. OUCH $2.79 a dozen here.. utterly ridiculous, but its that time of year they are slow I guess. For under $10 a week I feed 16 bird and when they are laying I get $2.00 a dozen for farm fresh.. guess the middleman is eating good at that $2.79 price!

Heres some bantam birds I had last year...silver spangled hamburgs they were. They lay little eggs, but these chickens were also show birds from a friend of mine.

Hey Terri, cant you raise a couple chickens in the city? OUt here theeeere are some cities that allow for a few...You had bunnies, you could put some bantams in their cage! You do not need a rooster for eating eggs!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6075510

Now those are some fancy chicks there plantgeek all dressed in their Sunday best tuxedos!
elle, hope you are feeling okay, is something wrong that you aren't well enough to work these days? So wishin you can stay home on the farm sounds like a wonderful warm place.
Sounds like KY is a disaster area, you are one of the few blessed with electric and heat through this. Hear some will be without through most of February.

Terri try it you will be astounded:

Key Lime Pie

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (3 to 4 limes)
4 teaspoons grated lime zest
4 egg yolks
1 - 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
11 graham crackers
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
PREP WORK It's easier to remove the lime zest from whole limes so I would start with that. Then I would cut the limes in half and squeeze out the juice being careful not to include any pits.

Process the graham crackers in a food processor or blender and then melt the butter and have it at the ready.

HOW TO MAKE AT HOME1. Whisk the egg yolks and lime zest together in a bowl until tinted light green. This takes about 2 minutes

2. Beat in milk, then juice and set aside at room temperature till it thickens.

3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

4. Mix graham cracker crumbs and sugar in another bowl.

5. Add butter and stir with a fork until well blended.

6. Pour this mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and press over the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Try using the bottom of a measuring cup to make sure the graham cracker mixture forms a firm crust on the bottom of the pie pan.

7. Bake on the center rack for about 15 minutes until the crust is lightly brown, remove and let cool to room temperature.

8. Pour the lime filling into crust, spread evenly, and then bake for 15 minutes until the center sets, but still wiggles when shaken.

9. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.

10. Refrigerate for at least three hours until well chilled.

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 1, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6078332

Mmmmm, that is a good recipie Candee. Thank you. Graham cracker crust is a must in my book. Now I'm gonna hafta make one. Try key limes if you can find them. There is a distinct difference in the flavor, almost like a muskyness to them.

Elle, are you ok? Am I going to have to dose you with my zippy juice?

Those ARE some fine looking birds. Ready for a night out- puttin' on the Ritz!

Yes, we are very lucky Candee. We give many thanks for having electricity. Looks like the worst is over for Louisville. Most of the ice has melted off the power lines and trees, so the dangerous part is past. Yesterday was quite a unique experience watching ice chunks falling everywhere. Very surreal, beautiful with all the prisms of light filling the trees. Quite deadly too, however. An interesting contrast.This whole thing will give me lots to write about.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6078419

Greetings everyone!

Funky chickens Blossom, I don't have the space to let them scratch about in the dirt like they should!

Thanks for the reciepe Candee, I can get most of those ingredients.. this might be a silly question to you, but what are Graham crackers? are they sweet like cheese cake base?

elle, you are right, your health comes first.!

Plantgeek, Nice to hear you are safe and well. Good you have more inspirational writing material.
Have you got your scalf and hat on?... we kick off at 4pm... everyone has arrived so we've gotta go!

Have Good day all!

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 1, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6078448

Thanks Terri.
Yep, I'm wearing my colors now. Got my game face on and ready to go.

Oh, and if I may , Graham crackers are just as you guessed. Don't mean to but in, just thought since I'm here anyway...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6078778

GoooOOOood Moooorning ALLLLL!

Hubby is snarly today! Nice to know he is soooo happy about going back to work...

Terri, how big is your rabbit hutch? Bantam chickens are very small chickens and would do fine in one. I will see if I can scronge a picture of our chicken hutch! Take you a few measurements! But I am sure your rabbit hutch is fine, YOu would have to watch their toenails but no big deal for them. They like to roost anyway! Or put a scratching board in there for them.

Catch ya'll later.. Im getting brunch!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

February 1, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6078983

hi all
i am ok
it just my age
sorry to worry every one
i love my people
i will alway do some thing for my nursing home
i love my chickern
i hopeing to do a lot with them this summer
elle
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6079234

and it's Liverpool ... yay! 2-0 win. Plantgeek, you are our lucky mascot!! Don't think I'm gonna find 'key limes' in our supermarket!! but I will look.
Thanks for the Graham crakers info... I'll put them on the list of things we have different names for!
It can be quite confusing!!!
I say biscuits (nice dunked in coffee) you say crackers!
what do you call crakers that you have cheese with, biscuits?!!
I say jam you say jelly...
I say chips you say fries!.. ... and so it goes LOL!

Blossom, Katie has plans to paint the rabbit hutch and make a Barbie mansion!
elle, don't worry about the eggs, I'm sure the chickens will start laying more when the weather warms up, like Blossom said.
Candee, Is the lime pie always served cold? Hope you are nice and snug by the fire today!

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6079335

Crackers are crispy and thin and are used with cheese
biscuits are fluffy/flaky breads that are usually served with jelly or jam or with gravy at breakfast and to dunk in our coffee we have cookies or doughnuts ;~)

Jam = preserves with bits of fruit suspended in jelly
Jelly= strained with no chunks or seeds

Key Lime pie = a slice of perfection

Chips = thin crispy wafers of potato, corn or wheat (usually fried and salty)
fries = french fried potatoes (crunchy outside and soft inside)

fish n' chips = white fish batter fried and french fries ( what is it there?)
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6079363

Actually our temps went up to the high 50 so we were out trying to rid some of the ice, it is still covering everything on the ground anyway, except the roads. I even have the kitchen window open to get some fresh air.
I'll bet Katie will make a palace for those rabbits, they will never want to leave. I remember when I was a little girl I once knitted a blanket for a caterpillar LOL! He was snug as a bug in a well box!
Yes lime pie always cold much like any other custard pie. My favorite is actually lemon merinque.
elle, we are all old, and often feel it so don't get down about it, just keep cluckin!
plantgeek glad to hear all is better, getting ready for the game today?
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6079369

Hey zany you are the information highway today! Think terri will get all that LOL!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6079469

Hi Zany!
Fish n chips are fried fish and chips! ( fried potaoes,crunchy outside soft inside)
I need to see a picture of those biscuits, fluffy flaky breads!!! ??
Jelly ... we have that with ice cream!! jello?

Candee, the rabbit got stolen by a fox!! We are not getting anymore pets.
Good your weather has warmed up a little. A blanket for a caterpillar!! that's so sweet!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6079493

Btw, who has gravy for breakfast? !!!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6079692

Good luck and good health to everyone!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 1, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6079789

Chipped beef gravy over toast! It is Steve's favorite when we have breakfast which is seldom except up at the cabin! I have several containers in the freezer as we speak and use chipped deer meat.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6079946

Toast and marmalade, now that's breakfast LOL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6080104

Cold pizza and a cola used to be a good breakfeast, but I gave up cola for orange juice... LOL!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 2, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6080608

Mmmmm, thick artery -clogging sausage gravy loaded with chunks of piggy, ladled onto home made buttermilk bisquits. Drool, drool. A great way to start your day stretched out on a guerney, listening to the sound of a sirens' wail while being chauffered to the nearest hospital that accepts folks with no insurance. lol
Actually, a bit of that once in a while ain't bad. Just not every day.
Cold pizza rocks. Cold chicken too. I love French toast, but I can't do the sweet stuff in the morning anymore unless it's fruit.
I really like a mix of hot amaranth, oats and quinoa with a shot of cream and some blackberries.

Candee, I have to say that I'm not a football fan. But, I hope your team wins. Here gal, I made ya some real crab dip, not that imitation stuff.
Now, if there's a good boxing match on, I'll watch that, or a martial arts demo.

Terri, wow, what a beautiful boquet. Thank you. It really brightens up the place.
You may be able to find Key Lime juice instead of the fruit. It's easily available around here, so if you just gotta have it, let me know.
Sorry to hear about your bunny. :(
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6080713

Breakfeast being over, I am making my specailty of the house, ARTERY KILLER MEATLOAF! Its 2-3 lbs hamburger loaded with swiss cheese cubes and onions, an egg, some crackers and ketsup! Been making small individual loafs with a side of diced fried potaters! Bake at 350 for an hour or until gettign black on top! C'mon and get it!

Tomorrow when the day starts again, hoping to do my version of egg foo yon! or is that yung? Well, you know those Chinese omelttes with all the veggies in it!

Yo GEEK! I will take that recipe for your crab dip, sounds yum!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6081125

Wow! there has been a flurry of activities here.

Terri - before I forget, in answer to your question way back about the bowties - they are sheets of dough (like what you make egg-rolls out of) that you slit, twist, and deep fried. It fits right in with the most recent theme here of artery-clogging, but great tasting foodstuff.

My kids' favorite breakfast is cold pizza, and since I don't wake up to make them breakfast once they learned how to pour milk over cereal, they can eat whatever they want for breakfast

I must be one of the few souls in the United states who is not watching the superbowl game - I don't even know who is playing. We actually found our house on superbowl sunday twenty years ago - there was a open house, and I think we were the only ones that attended and subsequently put in a bid

Was in Key West, Florida about 10 years ago and had key lime pie on a stick (sort of like a pie on a popsicle stick) - can't remember what it tasted like though.

Plantgeek - if you really do have a recipe for crab dip - I would also be interested in it.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6081262

Two more AKM loafs up!

PS - use lean meat, drain grease! Save arteries...well, maybe

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6081275

No superbowl here in this neck of the US! IN fact no TV at all! We have not watched Television for over a year! Dont miss it either! Got sick and tired of the sleeze, so called reality shows and bad news!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
5:00 AM

Post #6081584

Blossombuddy - now that makes two of us. I don't watch TV much, maybe once a week or so, but I have not totally given up on it yet. Great looking meatloaves - can I have one for dinner and the other for lunch tomorrow?

All this talk of food and stuff has inspired me to cook something. We have covered breakfast and dinner...one of my favorites, however, is something that we got from Terri's part of the world - afternoon tea. We now have a couple of shops that serve afternoon tea, along with pastries and finger sandwiches. One place even has an assortment of hats that you can choose from to wear while you sip your tea. When I went with my daughters last year, I tasted lemon curd and was hooked. It was wonderful on everything. So, I whipped up a batch for us. Now, if someone will bake some scones, we would be all set.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
5:02 AM

Post #6081587

And for those of you who would rather have something stronger than tea, how about some daffodil wine?

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #6081597

I just posted this on the yard to vase series, but, it makes me think of sunshine so I am posting this photo here also. Pretend that it is the sun, sending out warming rays of sunshine to all of you in the colder parts of the world. Sue - you can pull the shades down to block out the light and stay cool.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6082095

All this talk about food is making me starve. Blossom that meatloaf looks incredible. We use ground venison and put sausage in with ours and I tear up some bread soaked in milk and parmesan, and I must serve it with mashed taters. We just had that last week and I ate the last bit of it in a sandwich yesterday.
Dianne you have been busy with yourself. What a lovely addition your fruits and posies are. Especially with Terri in about a foot of snow and us still trying to clear ice.
LOL, as for the superbowl, I fell asleep just when it started. We don't watch much tv except for the discovery channel stuff, I love that on Sunday afternoons. I like the travel channel as well, but can't do any of those everyday or evening sitcoms or reality things. What ever happend to good ole Ed Sullivan???
Thanks for the crab dip, I did get a taste of it before I conked out, and I think Steve ate the rest of it watching the game cause I saw an empty bag of chips in the living room this morn and no leftovers in the fridge.
I have a pretty good hot crab dip recipe, I'll find it and post when I get home.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6082314

Hi everyone!
Beautiful arrangements Dianne, so refreshing! Love the artistic creation with the lemon curd, WOW! The lemons look
so much nicer than the supermarket ones I see. Like the 'crescent' shape you have made.
Do you mean filo pastry for the bowties? Thank you for the lovely display today!

Plantgeek, Thank you, glad you like the bouquet. I will look for the lime juice, it's not something I ever buy! so I've no idea if they sell Key lime juice here!

Blossom, I have a Chinese take-away menu here. there's nothing about egg Foo Yung, only egg fried rice LOL!

Candee, Yes we are snowed in. Such a shame we cannot get to school or work today, tee hee!
We haven't seen this much snow for years. London transport has stopped! I'm just thankful we went shopping yesterday, I wouldn't want to go out for a pint of milk today! The garden is covered with snow... I now have that frosted look I was trying to find, for real!

This message was edited Feb 2, 2009 3:21 PM
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 2, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6082776

Yummers! I do love a good meatloaf. Thanks Blossom. I may have to hint to my DW to make some. lol Have you and Candee ever tried it using bison? I love venison too. And the addition of sausage sounds too good.

Dianne, yummers again on your lemon curd and all the other goodies you brought. I LOVE citrus. I made scones as you requested- lemon- poppyseed and orange-cranberry-walnut. I like afternoon tea too. There is a tea shop soon to open just down the street right next to a great Asian veg. restaraunt - Zen Garden. We can't wait and hope it will be a good hangout. No place around here seems to know how to do good tea of good quality.
Fortunately, our holistic practitioner sells organic green tea blends and the health food store where DW works has a wonderful Earl Grey.

I must confess that the crab dip came from a local seafood shop. However, years ago when I lived in Florida, I set traps and invented my own recipie for dip with whatever was in the kitchen. Unfortunately, Kraft no longer makes creamy cucumber salad dressing. but, I'm sure some other company does. So, I'll try to remember what I came up with:

One stockpot of crabs, cleaned
One bottle of cucumber salad dressing
One vadelia onion finely diced
2 sticks of celery finely diced
1 Tb garlic
1 Tb paprika
1tsp cayenne
1Tb lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
Mix dry ingredients together, add to wet ingredients, add to crab meat and chill.
I think that was about it.

Terri, I sure do sympathise with your weather. lol Hope you enjoy your day (or 2) off from work. Here is a majik CD of your favorite music. All you have to do is think of a song and it is instantly recorded onto the disc.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

February 2, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6082980

hi all
off to day
it suppoes to be warm all week
it time to go out and get the out side going
all the animal love this weather
elle
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6083063

Havin a heat wave there in old MO, elle? Good to hear, all your animals will be out doing the happy dance to the music CD that plantgeek made.
Had bison one time as a burger, there are none to shoot around here LOL and just purchasing the meat is extremely expensive.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6083176

Hi all,

Welcome to the new attraction at the cafe, our very own Zen garden!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6083183

cool planter!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6083190

Outside the back door.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6083204

Chinese lanterns ... Happy New Year !!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6083224

I've got my CD playing Plantgeek, Thank you! old Skeeter Davis...

"We'll sing in the sunshine, we'll laugh everyday ay ay " !

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6083623

now that is a significant snowfall and looks splendid from the warmth of home. I bet Katie is having a ball, snowball that is LOL!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

February 2, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6083651

i love that song
i work hard last night so these lazy bone are resting today
so it play on cp day lol
elle
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6083699

Hi Candee, yes she was out there throwing snowballs, but came back in saying the boys play too rough LOL!
I know the novelty will probably wear off in a couple of days, but at the moment, it does look nice from indoors!!

I forgot to say, Thanks for the scones Plantgeek, very tastey! I don't drink tea, but hope your new tea shop will serve the kind you like! Here at the Flowerpot, we have all your favourite teas!!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
7:28 PM

Post #6083711

Hi elle, you know that one? lol!

"I'll often think about you and this is what I'll say ... We sang in the sunshine, we laughed everyday ay ay " LoL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6083883

More meatloaf coming right up.. You know its really a no fail recipe and you can add the ingredients much in the amout how you prefer! I have tried tuffing a few mushrooms in the loafs too! And I bet it would work super with ground venison instead of burger! I use the GLAD boxes that we get that our prepackaged at the grocery with our cold cuts in them and they make perfect molds for the loaves and as you can see use a low pan to help strain the grease form the meat and cheese! YOu can sput the loaves back in the glad boxes too and freeze them for another day!

Well, shoot, did not get to make my egg foo young yon yong yung or how ever they spell it!! LOL! Maybe tomorrow. The hub thought he would go to work but they did not get his papers to fly worked up so he is home for another day. Least he feels better, thank goodness! So we have been doing "odd" jobs.

Terri - you are truly torturing me with the snow!! You know I have been screaming beyond the point of no return here for mother nature to stop it ~ stop it ~ stop it~, so now you are on... snowball fight coming at you!! My snow here has been on the waining side and making nice balls to smack you with!! LOL Take that! LOL!

aaaaah the dip!! yummy recipe!! Thanks for that!

Thats right Terry, take that >>>>>> splat!! Gotcha!! Sing in the sunshine girl, yes you will! LOL! Stupid gopher tradition, now you did it, PHIL that ground squirrel says 6 more weeks of winter. arrrrgh! Somewone ought ot make mince meat out of that goofy animal weather predictor! Someone explain to Terry about the shadow so she knows wha I am talking about while I unload my snowballs on her!! hehehehe!

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 2, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #6084271

Oh yeah? well take that! Splat!!!! hehehehe Ok y'all, looks like it's time for one big horkin' snowball fight. Whoo hoo! I guess you folks who don't have any will have to scrape out the frost in your freezer. And for those of you who have critters, no throwing yellow ones please. lol

Whooo, time for tea in the cafe. Thank you Terri. Hey, I remember that song too. Made me think of summer days lazing under a tree telling whoppers because we were too hot to do anything else.
But now with all this snow and ice, we are too cold to do anything except tell whoppers really fast and hope the friction from our lips keeps them from cracking off.

About the gopher, groundhog-same thing- somehow the tradition began a long time ago, that when a gopher pops its head out of its burrow on Feb. 2 it can predict the weather. If it sees its shadow, that means another 6 weeks of winter. (well duh, it's only Feb. 2) If it does not see its shadow, we get an early spring. I think someone was just kidding and made it up and folks believed it. Or, it was simply an excuse to get shished faced. It was winter. What else are you gonna do?

Candee, there is a Bison farm close by. That's how we get it a little cheaper. One good thing the farm does is use some of the profits to house all sorts of animals- emu, horses, peacocks, ect... I'd be happy to send you some, but the postage would be awful.
Ohh, duck! Here comes another snowball.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6084509

I've made a fresh batch of snowballs, Lets get 'er!

Where are you Blossom.?... Take that!!!! splat. and THAT!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6084544

These are wonderful rose scented snowballs! watch out plantgeek!!!!!!!!ahhhhhhh sorry mate!!!

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 2, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6084595

That's allright Terri. I have another eye. And I can aim it just fine. Whhhhop! Got her! right up the snoot. A natural netti pot. lol At least the rose scent will be soothing. Pretty snowballs btw Ooops, watch it. Here comes a big one.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 2, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6084819

Hey plantgeek, I think Blossom ran away >>>> LOL! Great shot!!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6084859

Plantgeek - thanks for the crab dip recipe. Will have to try it one of these days. I had a crab sandwich back in the 70's which rank as THE best, and have been looking for a comparable one ever since. The last time I was in Fisherman's wharf in SF, all the crab sandwiches had this mayonnaise-y spread - I prefer just crabmeat and buttered sourdough bread.

PG, Terri, and BB - I am having a grand time in the cafe, sipping my tea and eating Plantgeek's scones, and watching the snowball fight taking place outside. Very pretty snowballs - Terri. It is fun to have a couple of unexpected days off - hope you are all set with essentials so that you don't have to wander out in the cold.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6085655

No fair you guys throwing them "balls" in the cafe!! Nah nah nah nah nah!...

No yeller ones eh GEEK??? Look out for that...spalt!
BBba-rown! Splat!!! LOL...giddap FIESTA! LOL! I have an appointment at the stained glass forum! The DH has a few on display and I am showing off my Dads!

Later gaiters!

Whooooosh.>>>>>>>> splat... thanks Terry, FIESTA needed that rose-ball! LOL!

Save me some of that DIP!!!

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6085845

Your'e welcome Dianne. Yes, I agree that a good crab sandwich (and salad) is hard to find. I do miss Florida, fresh seafood, great fishing. sigh

Hey, we can throw our balls around if we want to. LOL
Blossom, Blossom, Blossom...she thinks she's soooo funny with her pooball. That's allright dear. Come have a nice cup of tea. mwahahahaha

Look, what's that over there? Shhhhhhhhhoop>>>>>>>>>>>>splat hehehe
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #6086056

Oh OH!!! ttttea...for muwah???!!!! sssssplaaaat!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6086121

Pppplantgeek, now you know betterthan that, I only drink Gggggreeen tea!! LOL!

Ok, new game! Pick a number between one and five...terri, you go first!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #6086169

Oh and plantgeek, that was not a pooball, that was a matloaf to go! R_R_R!

Whoooosh! Splat! eeeek!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 3, 2009
6:21 AM

Post #6086355

HEY! Who threw that snowball at me? I'll be back when I get the slush that ran down my back dried up!!!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #6086710

You folks do play hard ball, glad you haven't resorted to throwing icicles there plantgeek could get brutal.
I had to laugh coming into the cafe cause I am so short that all of them whoosed over my head and I don't think anyone even saw me coming. Zany there is a new blow dryer in the john if you need to dry your shirt.
Got so busy watching the snowball fight I plum forgot about the crab dip recipe, you are all just so distracting sometimes LOL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6086868

Oooooh Zany... watch out for that bowling snowball...ooooh I cant watch! Geek you throw a mean curve!! Shes down!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #6086879

Ok, hmmm... terri must still be in the loos cleaning up... Im putting names in for a Valentines drawing.. who wants to draw one from the bowl?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6086892

"Dear John, Oh how I hate to write..."

NO SNOWBALLS IN THE CAFE' Thank you!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6086906

no 3 Please... is that egg fried rice?!!!!
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6086936

I missed this Lunar New Year thread - Happy Belated Lunar New Year. I celebrat 'Tet' - Vietnamese New Year, but no Mickey Mouse blossom here. Mine died last year. boo hoo! However, I do have an apricot blossom tree and it blooms in March.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6086972

Welcome LiliMerci! Your new here! We are having a wild time..

Terri, no snowballs in the cafe???? Who started this ! Hehehehe! ***smack*** ooooh thanks, another roseball!

Well LiliMerci,. Im trying to get a cyber game going here and for a drawing...I need someone to either pick a number from 1-to 5 or draw a name from the above list!

The number determines the cybergift
and of course the name picked is the winner!

Care to play?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6086978

Hello and Welcome LilliMerci! Happy Lunar New Year to you! 'Tet'.
Please excuse the chaios in here today, someone made snowballs and everything went wild!!!
I hope we get to see your apricot blossom next month it sounds beautiful.
Here's a snow cake for you, would you tea or coffeee with that?

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6086982

Just doooont try Geeks tea, Im warning ya! hehehehe!!

Its not green!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6087028

Ok, whose picking a name, then I will post a pic of their cybergift!

And it aint now snowball!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6087054

no snowball???? I aint playin' LoL!

but I already picked no 3 . now you want a name ... ok then... Candee please!

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6087231

Whhhhhoooooooooshhhhhh>>>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>>splat Gotcha Candee. hehehehe

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6087275

Ok, here ya go... the list!
#1 - no name yet
#2 - no name yet
#3 - Candee
#4 - no name yet
#5 - no name yet.

Ok, Terry is out. Candee your up, pick a numer and a name!

I will start posting the pressies after her pick!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6087287

Oh no, you've done it now Plantgeek... Candee just had her hair done ... tut tut ...!!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6087299

CHAOS: uncontrolled behavior of the first kind!

Candee, oh where are youuuu!? I promise it is not a snowball!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6087369

Don't worry y'all, I'm saving the icicles for door-to-door solicitors. In the summertime, I let the snakes out front. Gives them what is phrased as "life enrichment". Saves me money on snake food too. :)

Well Blossom, I sure am glad that was no brown bomb. It whooshed by so fast, all I could tell of it was its color and so I had to assume the worst. lol
Come here and I'll make you a nice cup of tea. Green tea that is. Really. I just got fresh Dragonwell. Or perhaps more fitting, Snow Monkey. hehehehe

Zany, are you all dry and ready for tea? I haven't a clue as to who threw that snowball. (insert innocent face here)

LiliMercy, yes, welcome to our wild little bunch. Please help yourself to snacks and beverages. We have all sorts of things, ooops, duck-incoming snowball... whew
hot tea, fresh veggie juice, coffee, sweets galore, great meatloaf if Blossom hasn't thrown it all at us, spring rolls, lemon curd, eggs, venison, rabbit, fish-n-chips and so many other goodies that I can't remember.
I suggest that you arm yourself with a snowball if you go outside, but feel free to stay snug in the Cafe. Happy Lunar New Year ( following the moon makes more sense to me)
Uh oh, splat...

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6087423

Well, now it's a really special doo. lol One of those artsy wind-swept looks. All natural too.
Not to worry Candee, I'll spring for a visit to the hairdresser, pamper your frozen toes with a pedicure and soothe your rosy-red cheeks with a warm facial.
In fact, I waved my majik wand and our cafe now has a hot spring in the back. What say, after we are finished whoopin'up on each other, we all go for a dip and drinks.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6087429

EEEEEEK! GEEEK! You got Candee smack dap in the forehead in her pretty pink wig!!!

Yes, still plenty of loaves left... I was gonna do the egg foo yung thing today, but we still have leftovers! Maybe tomorrow.

Besides that too, I got busy at this forum and well, I am running late again on breakfeast!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/948590/

if ya go there wipe your feets and check yer snow balls there at the door there!!! We would not want things to be crashing down!!

Candee, have you picked a name for the new game yet??
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

February 3, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #6087437

hey
i want number 5
name is terri
elle
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

February 3, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6087452

hi all
i love to wach all of you
but do not ture you back
i got about 8 snow ball to trow at some one
elle
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6087468

Hiya elle, ok, well since you jumped in there I will give you number 5 because terri is out.. she did not want to play and we are still waiting on Candee for her pic.

Letsee, we have pressies number 1,2 and 4 spots to be left, and comeon Candee, pick a name or one of these three numbers!

Watch out for Geek she has been tossing nerf snowballs since we banned her from playing with anymore the real ones IN the cafe! I got her doing KP duty.. cleaning the scum out of my pie pans from the last of the meatloafs!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6087501

I do wanna play... not fair!!!!!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6087507

Hahaha. Elle, I wouldn't dream of turning my back unless I was hiding snowballs. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee>>>>>>>>>>>splat gotcha

Ok, I pick Elle and my # is 1

Sorry about the wig Candee. Here, I'll wave my wand over it and ta da, all better.

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6087516

Hey Blossom, why is Terri out? Can you explain the rules of this game again?

No problem cleaning those nasty pans. Here doggie, doggie... hehehehe
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #6087531

Ok ok, now she wants in!! heres the list again!

#1 - Elle
#2 -
#3 - Candee
#4 - Geek
#5 -

Terry, whats your numer 2 or 5? I thought you said you didnt wanna play.. I still must have snow in my good ear!! LOL! Sorry about that!

Geek, you best wave a majik wand over them dishes... more people coming...whose serving up?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6087550

elle picked me I'm no 5 ok! so, no-0nes getting breakfast at your place today Blossom LOL!

'I aint playin' was a joke! soz for confusion...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6087560

I knew it I knew it,, hot water went down again... 'Hey COLDWATER, you best be getting a licking!! LOL!

GEEK, now I know whay you named yer hound COLDWATER! LOL!

Rules? you missed it! Well we are almost done playing and are waiting on Candee to pic a number now either 2 or 5. She will get one of those Valentines cyber-pressies left.

Oh, Jeez, I was supposed to start posted the pressies.. ok, there coming there coming!

Best give the scraps to elle's chickens today.
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #6087565

Tis done. How about we make this a self-serve affair?

Thanks for straightening out things with the game. Ooo, this is exciting. I love suprises and with y'all, it's gotta be good.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6087576

#1 - Elle
#2 -
#3 - Candee
#4 - Geek
#5 - terri

Ok, we are waiting on Candee to pick the name for the last pressie which is #2!

Candeeeeee where the heck are ya? I cant post the pics of the pressies until you pic a name from the bowl here!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6087590

Oh Blossom dearest, I hate to be picky, but I think we need more numbers or else someone will be left out. We still have Zany, Dianne, Karma, LiliMercy and you.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6087597

#2 Zany
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6087603

The cafe' flying teapot got you here in no time Candee!!

This message was edited Feb 3, 2009 4:31 PM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6087619

Yeah Blossom... more numbers please!!!!!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6087632

Sorry, man I am outta breath. I had to chase that wig cause the wind caught it and if I could have gotten hold of you geek I think you would still be reeling!
You talk about a bad hair day, dripping soppin wet and now must head back to work.
This better be some good game with great prizes, I am not up for another whooshin from you all.
Welcome lilimerci, you are in for one great ride here at the cafe. We have quite a cafe gathering spot and always welcome newbies. Sit down and imbibe, we have teas, scones, open bar always (my preference) and MS. Woodsy who works now just on weekends. She had a run in with some of the kitchen staff and now won't come in on weekdays.
Too bad you missed most of the snowball battle, some of us oldies mostly watched from the window; however let me tell you lilimerci - some have no merci and still bombarded us when we poked our head s out the door.
Elle you were smart to keep a low profile through this wintry blustery challenge!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6087640

Yes it did Terri and thanks so much as I was completly headed in another direction and would have missed the game - whatever it is. I have tried to figure out the catch - surely there is one, but so far just think it may be a ruse to get us outside for more bombardment!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6087650

Coldwater Hound to the rescue! Fastest toungue in the West.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6087656

haighr, I am guessing thats Candees pic, I cant hear her over the utter chaos in this place today!

Ok, the rest will be getting consolation prizes, there is a plate of cookies for each on the table!

Here is elle's cybergift! Its a giftbasket with a stuffted animal in it and some lovely beauty products! I think its a dalmation!!! LOL!My friend beautygirl made these up! She has them wrapped so nicely!

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6087664

I'm still ROFL Candee.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6087693

Terri, I am out of gifts at number 5 so your gonna have to take over putting pressies up! Here is number 2 for Zany!!

Its another gift basket with beauty products tucked in!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6087722

Here is number #3 for Candee! Drum roll please!!!

Oh good Lord, Geek, I said drum roll, not Little Drummer Boy, how did that get into the CD's? Leftovers from the Christmas party eh?!!

Well, looky here, its the FROG PRINCE in a gift basket with more beauty products!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6087740

And the lucky number 4 goes to...a-hem..ahem...AHEMMMMM

ALVIN????? Jeez, now we got chipmunk music playing...

Geeeeeeek...get in HEYAR!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6087761

And our #5 cyber-pressie...goes to...TERRI!!!!

I will be passing out the recipe girls, for the cookies for the consolation gifts! Terri, if you have more cyber pressies, you will have to take over! I am not sure how many ladies missed a gift!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6087796

Happy Valentines day everyone, I a know I am a tad early, but my next holiday cheers appears to be either St Pattys day, Easter or Mothers day.. so I must get started!

And as promised...here is the recipe for the cookies...Todays special...

Chocolate Chow Mein!

1 bag semi sweet chocolate morsels (chips)
1/2 bag chow mein noodles
1/2 cup peanuts or Reese's peanut butter chips

Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or by using a metal bowl over a sauce pan filled a couple of inches with water. Stir in half a bag of chow mein noodles. Stir in 1/2 cup of peanuts or my personal favorite Reeses Peanut Butter Chips. Drop tablespoon full of the mixture onto a cookie sheet or large plate covered in wax paper or foil. Put in the refrigerator to set for at least 30 minutes.
---------------------------
Gotta run...ny office job is calling! Terri is in charge! (...makesure Coldwater washes his paws after he is done with the dishes ok!!? Wouldnt want to have to get a volunteer to do the floor agai!)
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6087831

OMG, these aren't beauty products, there is a bottle of champagne and a bottle of white rum and I can't believe it baileys for my next cuppa! You are the man, blossom, just what I have always wanted and being delivered by Mr Froggy is just a hoot" or would that be an owl? Oh, I don't know, I have already had half the champagne.
Such great valentine gifts, how do you find the time. Already on to the next holiday for you and I haven't even given it a thought. Perhaps I can recycle the lovely basket this all arrived in?
I am not much for cookie baking I always burn the bottoms, so will gladly volunteer to scrub the floor this time, will just go and try to find that mop - surely can't ask Ms. Woodsy, she wouldn't know what a mop looked like if it jumped up and hit her in the head, oops hope she didnt' hear that.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6087834

Thank you for my basket Blossom, it's lovely. All the baskets are really pretty!
Chocolate chow mein to add to the menu, sounds interesting!!!!!
Thanks for leaving me in charge to make the rest of the presents... I'd better get busy!

What was that about a catch Candee? LOL!!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6088163

Awwww, shucks. Thank you Blossom. My very own poopless puppy dog. lol
You rock! And thank you Terri for helping out. U Rok 2 This was quite a fun game. You are so thoughtful. Here, I made a red velvet cake for y'all to keep in theme of V-Day.

Ooo, Candee, I LOVE burnt bottomed cookies! Burnt popcorn, marshmallows, burnt fried potatoes.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6088479

Did someone mention BBCUPCAKES???

Ooh ooh! recipe time again...

BLACK BOTTOM CUPCAKES...
Ingredients:
BAKE AT 350 DEGREES...PREHEAT OVEN!

Break out the milk or coffee, this makes 2 dozen

COMBINE: in amixing bowl:
1 cup (8oz.) cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar and
1/8 teaspoon salt.
BEAT WELL!
Then, stir in 1 cup (6 oz.) chocolate chips

Preparation IN ANOTHER MIXING BOWL:
Sift together into bowl 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocao
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

THEN ADD:
1 cup of water
1/3 cup of oil
1 tablespoon vineager
and
1 teaspoon vanilla

FILL:
Muffin cups lined with paper baking cups
with 1/3 full of the chocolate batter.

THEN
top each one with a heaping teaspoon full of the cream cheese mixture.
to each cupcake with slices of almonds
and sprnikel with sugar

BAKE AT 350 degrees for about 25 to 35 minutes
====================================
VARIATION:

If you wanna cheat on making this recipe, use a box cake mix for the chocolate part, be sure to add the vanilla. But dont cheat onthe white part.

And for more fun, put the chocolate batter in loaf pans instead of cupcake cups and use the white mix in it two. One receipe should make two bread loafs if you divide the batters equally!

COOL on a rack

AND Geek, please dont burn the bottoms!! Ee-yuk!!
And Coldwater does not get to lick the spoons or bowls... he cannot have chocolate!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 3, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6088573

Ohhhhhhhh my, I just felt a button pop. Time for sweat pants.
Thanks for the recipie Blossom. Yum!!!

No worry with Coldwater getting any choc. ;) I think he's too full like me.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 3, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6089027

Thanks for the BBCupcakes Blossom, they are delicious!
I meant to say earlier, about your Dad and Hubby's stained glass, beautiful work! It's lovely to see other's work, much appreciated!
I shy away from stained glass myself, scared of cutting my fingers. LOL!

Plantgeek, may I borrow your stretchy sweat pants? My body warmer is a bit tight today!

Great job with the mop Candee, nice to see you mucking in !!! I had no idea Ms Woodsy only works the weekend, since when and why wasn't I informed? We need more staff ... Oh no... interviews again!!!!

elle and Zany, your baskets are here!!

snow stuff to do, laters gaters! oops I got Steven's window with a snowball!! SPLAT!!!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6089307

We haven't been in the cafe much since this new year so when we get back over there am sure Ms. Woodsy will fill us in.
Sounds like a great recipe, come on over and make it as I am tired! please.
Just came from the YMCA and likely should not indulge anyway right now would give me the toots!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6089741

Hi Candee, Have a nice chillaxing sit down after a long day at work.
If we don't get any more snow tomorrow, I'll be back at work too.

Blossom, I'm giving out the rest of the presents now. For you, a SNOW vase.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6089748

real snow!!! with tulips.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6089804

For Karma, a modern square SNOW vase.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2009 12:44 AM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6089830

yellow chrysanth in the snow...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6089842

For Dianne, a round Snow vase...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6089854

it's windy!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #6089878

Hey Terri - I LOVE my round snow vase. I was feeling a little sad when Blossom ran out of presents...so
Thanks so much for stepping up to the plate - you are making the most out of your "snow-in" day.

Blossom - thanks for the black bottom recipe. Since my right knee is bothering me, I may take part of the day off on Thursday and try my hand at cooking.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6089893

For LiliMerci, a snow vase,,,

This message was edited Feb 4, 2009 1:03 AM

This message was edited Feb 4, 2009 8:58 AM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6089914

with chopsticks!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6089936

Oh Hi Dianne, Glad you like your snow vase, thought I'd better make some use of the snow while we have it. Hope your knee feels better soon.

One last pressie for today...

For Sue, a snow vase! this should cool you down in Australia!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6089943

G'day mate!

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 4, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6090006

OMG, I forgot about Sue, and Star and Steven. I'm so sorry. Somebody spank me. Here, I even have my own whip. lol

Terri, go right ahead and borrow my stretchy sweat pants. In fact, here is a pair for everyone. I think we may need them.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6090025

For Muuwah! Oh Terry that is lovely! I will have to revamp my thinking on the dislike for s-n-o-w! You put a new spin to it!!

Hey soils, take it easy on that knee! You dont need to be like me in that! Good luck on that recipe, its yummy and ooooh so addicting.. (make a double and freeze some!) I was thinking on if there was some way to add caramel to that.. some how a
turtle-ish-ish cupcake comes to mind... one day I am going to experiment!) I forgot, you can add a topping to that cupcake by putting sliced almonds on top on them before baking, then after baking sprinkle sugar.

Hey Terri, I found the cyber arrangement thread!!! whoohoo!! Thanks that is cool!

Awesome pressies Terri! I am so sorry I ran out, but those were made by a friend and well, we did not know how many would show today! Thanks for being able to fill in! I just knew you could do it!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6090126

No worries Plantgeek, I have made more snow vases incase any of our other friends turn up !!

Thanks Blossom, it was your great idea to give presents and it was fun making them, I enjoyed it!!
So, you like snow now??? LOL! Glad you found the cyber arrangements thread, I'll check it out tomorrow. It's past bed time for me.

Goodnight everyone, sleep well!

LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6090328

Thank you for the warm welcome. That BBcupcake recipe sounds good. Yummm!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2009
6:13 AM

Post #6091021

WOW! I headed out the door for work and a huge snow ball whizzed past me and rolled down the hill into the back of a pick up truck that was speeding away. When I got to work that same truck pulled up in the parking lot near where I was getting out of my car and that big old snowball rolled off the truck straight at me! It hit me in the bottom and knocked me over...but being egg shaped like a weeble... I wobbled but I didn't fall down.

LiliMerci, It's great to see a new "face" here. Watch out for these characters though because they get a bit rambunctious and with such active and imaginative minds you just never know what they will be up to next! ( not like sweet innocent me...)
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2009
6:23 AM

Post #6091035

OOH! my cyber basket has a teddybear : ~) Thanks!!!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6091418

Terri, I have never known anyone who could take something as simple as snow and make it into a piece of art - you are really somethin. I love the way you placed some icy crystals on the petals and the flowers in the bottoms of the vase are just stupendous.
Zany, it is a wonder you are still standing, how did you manage with that powerball zooming right toward you. If I had seen it coming I would have told you to duck - but that would have just caused you to be completly bowled over!
Well, must get to work!
lili, this is quite a new year isn't it?
Candee
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

February 4, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6092165

hi all
where my teddy bear
i love them cup cale
i will try it and take some to work
elle
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6092794

Hi everyone!

Ohhh so calm and quiet in here today, is everyone meditating ? OMMMMMMMMM breathe OMMMMMMM and relax.

Thank you for such kind words Candee, am just trying to make the most of my free snow!!
The snow hasn't gone yet, my place of work has closed for the rest of the week! Oh dear, what a shame!!

Enjoy your day flower friends!

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 4, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6092812

Too funny Zany. And I assure you, it wasn't me this time. I was too busy burning cookies.
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 4, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6092856

LOL Terri. I think we are all whooped from yesterday's monkey business, our game and goodies.

Iv'e been writing and getting submissions ready to send, drinking tea, reading about Bonnie and Clyde, tending to plants. Pretty low-key.

How is the weather in your neck of the woods? Still snowed in, or are things begining to trickle through?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 4, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6092858

Hi Plantgeek,
We have a match tonight, Liverpool v everton. Are you up for it? I'll call for you about 7ish ok!
Don't foget your Hat, scarf and super duper warm clothes! Bring a little flask of something to keep us warm ? !!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 4, 2009
7:05 PM

Post #6092894

Whoohoo! I'm ready. I'll have a thermos full of hot apple jack. Until then...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6094311

Zzzzzzzzzzz~
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6094530

SSSSSSSShhhhhhhh Blossom's asleep!

Hope you have a comfortable night in our flower bed. Sweet dreams!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6094675

ZZzzzzzzzz! Sniff sniff aaaah! {{rolling over burying nose!!!}} ...Zzzzzzzzzzz!!! Aaaaaaaaah!!!!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #6096005

Sweet dreams!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6096314

It's time to water the flower bed. Wakey Wakey!!!!!!!!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6096474

ZZZZzzzzzz! {{{dreaming of a shower of loverly flowers}}}

Oh OH, reality check.. Ooooh nOOOO! A water pipe busted here...there goes my day.. I have a flood to contend with...a pipe has busted to the hydrant we use to water our animals...whaaaaaa>>> what a nightmare... gotta crawl under the house to turn the water off. My parking lot is flooded and I have ice forming now everywhere. Just hope no other pipes go. Dang winter...I wish I could say wakey wakey, but I have been up for hours.

There goes the egg foo yung breakfeeast again... I swear it is not the year of the ox, it is the year of the rat. RATS RATS RATS.. Aaaaargh!
My kitchen is closed today.. help wanted someone take over!

I have not had a chance to feed the animals yet either and I need a lot of water, but not in the parking lot!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6096519

Hi Blossom, sorry to hear about your burst pipe, hope you manage to get it fixed soon.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6096898

Ouch, I bet that is gonna be some cold shower. Don't you just hate going into those crawl spaces to get at the pipes, we have that at the cabin and it is creepy beyond words. Good luck with the fixin!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6097082

Now I know why my hubby hates to go in the crawl space...I can just hear that creepy voice in my head going ..."Ddddddon't go into the crawl space" Freddie or Eddie has just got to be lurking there.

Means phsyco trouble all the time.Least so far the other hydrant is working, but it is a royal pain in the a-hem to be dragging hoses THAAAAAAT far. Then to have to drain the hoses so they do not freeze. This has been the worst winter in 10 years here.

Well, I got the water shut off. The flood has stopped but I got ice every where out there and I am not a happy camper. The busted pipe is underground and not in the house.We will not be able to dig the outdoor pipe until spring or even summer so that means dragging hoses for weeks or months... sheesh. I am now trying to warm up with some cocoa and have to get to work on some other projects...I just want to go back to bed and be where I left off earlier this morning dreaming of those pretty yellow flowers falling on my head!

Momma said there would be days like this... Zzzzzzzzzz...ZZZ

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 5, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #6097248

Good luck with everything Blossom. Sending you a gigantic jar of organic cocoa.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6098742

Thanks everyone. Been a taxing day for sure!

Thanks geek! Sa-lurp! MmmmmmMM good! Maybe things will look brighter in the morning.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

February 6, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #6099636

hi all
hope you get thing back ok
we been there it no fun
elle
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2009
6:34 AM

Post #6100335

Good morning, Blossom..

Hope today is a much brighter day for you.
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 6, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6101849

Ditto to that Blossom. Here are some bath salts with juniper oil for you po' tired muscles.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 6, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6102708

Hello everyone!
I'm bringing in some lucky twigs. I saw them at the florists sitting in a bucket at the back, when I asked about them, the girl didn't know what they were and gave them to me!!
I added a few Hypericum berries for extra good luck!

Blossom, Hope all is well with you soon.
Plantgeek, I had a look for some limes in the supermarket, the only ones they had were from Brazil!
No lime juce either. Next week I will continue my search for 'Key Limes' LOL! The lemons were from Italy and Spain, funny I haven't really noticed where stuff came from until now!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 6, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6102748

Candles and Gyp arrangement for the tables tonight, it's warm and cosy in here!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #6104280

Thanks again guys your moral support is much appreciated! I am truly exhausted. Just taking it light now.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 7, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6107200

Hi everyone!

Chinese philosopher say... What is, is. And we move on from there.

With all the bad weather and everything, we all need cheering up! So...

We have sleigh rides at the cafe' today!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 7, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6107204

Waayyyyyyy Are you ok at the back there Dianne?! hold on tight!!!

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6107692

A sleigh ride - what fun!!! I must say we all look pretty classy all dolled up like that.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6108014

Whooohooo!!!
lets go!!!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 8, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6109361

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

February 8, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6109376

hi all
and away we go wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
elle
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6109452

whoaaaah terri, watch out for that...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 8, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6110294

Ok Blossom... phewwwww that was close! Lovely pic!!

You had better sit down Candee!! be careful, you might fall out!! here we go...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 8, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6110395

Thanks for leaving your shoes and boots, on the mat, outside the back door, before you come in for a cuppa!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6110655

Wow, Terry that was a close one on that ox!! Did you see the horns on that beast!?? Yipes!

Got my boots off and my toes are warm and toasty.. I brought Mulling spices! Any volunteers...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 8, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6110692

Oh lets wait for Plantgeek, she makes fabulous mulled concoctions!!

The year of the OX, great picture, very clever!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6110732

Well, that is not really an ox, but it is a real pic, no funny photo play there! Well except for the framing. It was a stray Texas Longhorn one of our a-hem neighbs lost, but it was as close as we could come to an ox in this neck of the woods! Fiesta and I were on a wee bit of a roundup actually just tryign to stay the darned thing from crossing a highway. The things I end up doing around here to keep some people out of trouble. A thoroughly thankless job for sure! And yeah that is an 8 foot span between tip of each horn we were looking at! Old Rosie there hopped a fence and got out.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 8, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6110929

It looks like an ox to me Blossom! Then again I don't know the difference between a duck and a goose
LOL! Well done stopping it crossing the highway! I love the way the picture is framed, one day I will spend some time learning how to do things like that.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6110977

Its not hard Terry, just keep visiting the other thread!

Well, boredom has totally set in today. I have beem cooped in the office all day. .
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 9, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #6111768

Well hey there Blossom, then have a mug of mulled cider. Your batch of spices is wonderful. Excellent choice. Here's one for you too Terri. Plenty left for everyone.

Wowee what a ride! Thanks for driving us so well during our near catastrophy Terri. That was fun. Let's do it again. lol It was almost a "bum steer" bwahahaha
And quite appropriate for the Year of the Ox. Blossom, next time she jumps the fence, give me a holler. Iv'e never ridden a critter like that and I'd sure love to give it a go. With a name like Rosie, she can't be too wild.

All the snow and ice has finally melted and can you believe it was 60 degrees today! I'm going to have to get out the bikini wax already.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6112173

Whoaaah Plantgeek, that aint now she!!!! It kinda like the boy named Sue!!!! LOL!

Been a really depressing day...even though the sun was out...I did not get ourside for too long.

Then I chipped a tooth...was sposed to getthe darned thing yanked about a year ago...the dentist said come back when I had $200...Maybe I ought to let old Rosie just pop me in the chops big time and be done with it. $200 or $20 been hard to come by in this depression.

So what you been doing?

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 9, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6112183

Thanks for the cider Plantgeek! It's a good job we didn't have any before we went on the sleigh !!
'bum steer' LOL!! Hey that's not me!!!
Sounds like you had quite nice temps today. It was 36 degrees here! Most of the snow has melted away and it's back to work tomorrow!.
Have a good night everyone. I've tweeked the twigs for good luck this week!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 9, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6112209

Oh Blossom, sorry about your tooth. You are having a hard time, hope you feel better soon.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6112277

Just another day in paradise.

Hey Terri is your ecomony that bad over thar?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 9, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6112378

Blossom, everything has gone up in price over here. Gas, Electricity,Travel expenses, Food, you name it! Dental treatment can also very expensive. Life is a struggle most of the time.
On the good side, flowers are fairly cheap!! Hope things are better for you soon. nite nite.

starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6112551

Benn missing for awhile, but when I heard abotu the terible fire in Australia on thw news, had to coem an dhcekc an dmake sur eyou Weedwonan and any other of our friends are both ok and homes an dgardens too. They say it is the worst fire in history there .

Weed woman. if you able please check in.

Y aall need a new thread, big time.

Hugs all!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #6113919

Star thanks for the information, I hadn't seen the news and had no idea.
Terri that sleigh ride was one that will down in my history book, what a great time. Glad I didn't fall out on all that ice around Blossoms place I would have never gotten back up.
I am glad we all had the common sense to remove our snowy boots at your stoop and thanks for the concoctions plantgeek you sure can mix them up.
Blossom you just now stop feeling bad and perk up, things will be brighter - I bet they are already.
elle how is the weather doing your way now, any warmer? melting?
Will soon be leaving this thread behind to go to the Valentine Thread, any takers on starting one?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #6114356

Well, its looking like rain here.

So sorry to hear of the fires in OZ, Jeez, on the news here it sounds like it was arson. All those poor people.

Well least my ice has thawed. Don't know how soon we can get to digging.. Once it warms up, it will be soggy with the watertable, then we gotta wait again for it to dry out to be able to dig on this bog. Our water table is high here. Spose spring too is gonna bring more rain as it always does. Might be August if the wet is long. So pardon me as I grumble having to drag hoses so far every few days to fill that water trough up. Be better whenthe freeezy weather quits that is for sure.

Well, need to grab my boots and slog out to the animal shelter and see nwho is still kicking and hungry.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6114383

OK, Valentines... yea, I will start it...
You want the Al Capone version or the romantical one?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6114426

There, it is done.. go to:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/950788/

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 9, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6116356

Weed Woman, hope everything is ok with you. Like Star said, that is a very massive fire, deliberately set from what I read. Our thoughts are with you.

Terri, your tweek is tops!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 12, 2009
10:09 AM

Post #6127477

Hi all, thanks for the concern. We are all good in our part of the country, thank goodness! Its been very hot, dry and windy, but not as dry as the country down south. all those poor people, homeless, losing all their possessions and some, their lives! It really has been a bad week for the Australian people, and it could happen to any of us who live in the tree belts!
Amazingly, the public has banded together and raised over $40,000,000 toward helping the survivors to get back on their feet. We really are a giving bunch!
Anyway, I'll pop on over to the valentines thread and take a look.
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 12, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6128054

Hi Sue, it's great to hear you are safe, we have been so worried about you!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

February 12, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6128127

Ditto to that. Sending you hugs and jugs of mead from my private stock.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

February 12, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6128647

hi all
we are mud
wet
sun
cool
elle
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6129875

Ditto on elle!! Still slogging!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6142518

Thanks for checking in with us we have all been concerned. We have been following the stories and they are horrific sadness for so many, so glad to hear that much needed assistance is coming in.

elle, don't you go getting yourself stuck in the mud. I can just see you headed out with them hens and getting knee deep in the muck! As for you blossom, you be extra careful cause I imagine you face down in it laughing and chocking on every bit of the slop!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

February 15, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6142631

hi all
it is drying up in the chickern yard
the goat is doing ok
can not hardly wait for the baby goat
elle
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6143250

No slogging today! Ground frozen...I am a total basket case looking for that dang McCoy...

Glad everyone here has had a lovely Valentines weekend. Ask me know questions and I will tell you no lies! All I know is 20 years and we are still madly in love through thick and thin and all that glorious "rot"!
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

February 16, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6146415

hi all
35 year here
throught good and bad
it running smooth now
elle
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6146714

Well,, we have been honeymmoning since day one! Been through thick and thin and growing old and wrinkly together!

Glad to hear you are long term there too elle!

Our chickens started laying.. 1 leghorn girl, the buff orps and a EE are finally putting the eggs out.. it figures too after I would buy a dozen while they were on vacation!! LOL!

Well, today is sun, chilly and snow nearly melted...Don't blink it will probably change...still running the heater...ugh.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2009 11:05 AM
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6146849

Congrats blossom - Steve and I have a similar history, 25 +years and going like it is day one, we really like each other! And we aren't growing old, we are old LOL!
Good to hear you got hens a laying, we don't have any critters exceptin for us and stray cats and course the deer, turkey and fox in the field, but don't thinks those turkey are a layin, least not that we have found although they have quite a new brood every year marching over there in the woods.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6147197

Started a new cafe thread here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953565/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America