My favorite part of DG is...

There are a total of 348 votes:

The forum discussions. (Which forum is your favorite and why?)
(277 votes, 79%)
Red dot

I enjoy reading the weekly newsletter!
(18 votes, 5%)
Red dot

My favorite activity here is adding images to the PlantFiles.
(12 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I love the plant and seed trading features!
(26 votes, 7%)
Red dot

I enjoy working on my very own Garden Journal or Diary.
(11 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I can't wait until the Chat Room opens each week
(4 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I chose Forum discussions. You will find me mostly on the Florida forum and a couple of others.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Yep, I'm mostly on the Norwest and Northeast Forums. I learn quite a bit from everyone there.

Kannapolis, NC

While I enjoy the forums, I'm trying to concentrate of building my journal. What the heck is the weekly newsletter? I've never seen that!

Okay. Forget it. I finally found out where the newsletter lives and have now signed up for it.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 7:13 AM

Missouri City, TX

Too many Forums to list - I contribute to several and browse many more.

Glad to have such a diverse selection -- and -- meeting so many members (both online and in person).

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

I'm a regular in the CANADIAN GARDENING forum .. lots of info shared .. and support given

I also LOVE the Pet Forum .. the pics are awesome and I can usually count on a quick response were I to have a problem with either my pup or my kitty cat.

HOW do you chose LoL I think ALL the forums are amazing ^_^

~M~

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I go wherever there's an interesting topic going on or something I can add my input to.
Many friends have been made through the forums.

Bernie

Tomah, WI

I chose the forums. I have learned so much from the wonderful folks here at Daves. Lots of great info out there.

PICKETT, WI(Zone 5a)

I chose forums. I really appreciate hearing what other people have to say and learning about different ways to grow things.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Mostly Parking Lot: Coffee for.........
Upper Midwest and like CountryGardens where ever there is an interesting topic going on.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

This was a hard one!!! I enjoy all of them but my favorites or Mid-South Forum, Hoyas, Plumerias, Water Gardens, Prayer, Parking Lot, and Greenhouse.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

What an oasis this site has become!

I chose plant and seed trading, though I would have liked to have added the forums.

In regards to both, it pays to sharpen your sense of foresight rather than slack with hindsight.

I use the Garden Watch Dog and the Member Page Feedback (which needs more attention and contribution) for finding who does the right things.

I guess the main thing to keep in mind is that this is a very large family full of individual personalities where it pays to not jump to conclusions. Terse posts leave a lot of room for "interpretation."

Always keep in mind that everyone needs a certain amount of respect latitudinally, as everyone has a bad day here or there, or a sticky personal situation occur once in a while.

If something strikes a weird tone to you, personally, let it pass! You probably misread it. Lead by example.

This is when we need to exercise those awesome personal values and ethics passed to us from our grand parents, great grandparents, on down the line.

It is refreshing to see everyone strive for a common goal here in The Garden. An oasis on the web.

Maybe the Eagles have it correct ..... "You call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye."

What an oasis this site is!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

What a dilemma! I like the forums and tour many of them. There I can get assistance with problems, learn about new methods of gardening, be tempted with new and different plants or just share my limited knowledge in an attempt to help others. I have found moral support or prayers when needed. And met lots of folks I care about and would love for neighbors.

OTOH, I have to say my journal. These days, it serves as my memory, my brain. I find it easy to store info and photos. When I can't remember something, I just have to do a search and it will pull up the very thing I have misplaced. I appreciate it and wish my brain could have the same storage capability AND search function. Although I spend more time in the forums, the DG Journal gets my vote.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

I chose forums, but I use the site as much for research as I do communication. Plant Files and now Bird Files are two that I use multiple times a day to find out what's what! It would most definitely be a loss for me to not have Dave's to go to. I participate in the Hoya and Hummer/Butterfly Gardening forums mainly, but have 11 or 12 others that I watch... and peruse others randomly if a particular discussion strikes my fancy.
Thank you Dave, Trish, Terry, Melody and all the others who work so hard for us. It is very much appreciated.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love the forums and I use quite a few of them. The Rocky Mountain forum is my favorite because our growing conditions are so different from everyone elses and also because the people are really fun. Many of us have met at the Denver Botanic Gardens for their sales and then afterward a someone's house. Great fun. Great people. So many plants and seeds it is a wonder my truck will make it home over all those mountains.
I also like Recipes and Cooking -- don't know why we need both -- but I read both. I like Vegetable Gardening and Fruits and Nuts and Plant Files Pictures and the identification forums and probably some I am forgetting right now. Oh yes, Healthy Living and Pets.
I am very fond of adding to Plant Files as well. At first I was frustrated because so few of the iris entries had photos. I have added some and so have lots of other people. I can see the improvement just in the two or three years I have been a member.
And I do love the journal now that I have figured out how to use it. It was a challenge at first, but now I rely on it. It is very helpful when I want to trade with people. I just tell them to check my journal for what I have.
I actually don't do a whole lot of trading, but when I do I get wonderful stuff.
Dave's Garden has become a web of friends and of information for me. I check it several times each day.

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

sewing and quilting!

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

The forums have done more to educate me than any other source of info in my gardening experience. But not just about gardening ..... some of my favorite recipes have come from DG forums, my new interest in quilting was 'enabled' by DG friends, support when family pets were put to rest, having lots of fun when hosting RU's, a renewed interest in my mailbox due to the group swaps, and much more - all due to the forums here on DG. But the most important of all has been the friendships formed.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Actually, its the information in the PlantFiles which include the pictures. A most valuable resource without which this would be just another chat room that I wouldn't bother with. The PF is how I found DG.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I have to say the Strawbale Gardening Forum is my most visited since it's the reason I became a DG subscriber! However running a very close second is the Shady Gardens forum due to the fact that I have a LOT of shade and am a lover of ferns!

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

The FL forum is my most favorite because I live in FL and can get advice directly from people who live in my region.

My second favorite forum is the palms and cycads forum because.... tada.... I have palms :-) Plus, the people in that forum are smart, smart, smart and I'm hoping some of it rubs off!!! :-)

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I said Chat room..........DUH!! I meant Forums.
I can only plead Monday Morning! lol

I love talking to people about the different topics that thrill me!
Recipes, Dats, "our lads" travelling all over Canada, Fall Gardens, etc!

-Susan-

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I check in with the Carolina Gardening forum on a regular basis, but also participate in the Hibiscus, Orchid, Palm, tropical and Mid-Atlantis forums.
This place has been an invaluable resource for me in my personal garden and when I worked in a garden center.
Barb

Santa Fe, NM

The plant files are what I came here for in the first place. The pictures are so good! Then, I got in to the forums which are now my favorites. Rocky Mountain, Photos, Cameras, and more. But I also like Plant and Bug identification. And the Photo Contest! Not to mention the articles that members write. I don't journal or blog because I'd be here all the time! Love it.

Havelock, Canada

I chose discussion forums - my favourite being Parking Lot but wish I could have picked more than one. WSing discussion has been a life-line for me right now.

And of course there is the plant and seed trading and the weekly newsletter. It is a three-way tie for me. I haven't been in Chat very often. Only because of time restrictions.

I also enjoy some of the tutorials.

Just have to say to everyone - I don't know how DG does it but this site has the most fantastic people I have ever encountered. Just amazing! This is a cumulative group of caring, helpful and supportive people. I am always overwhelmed with the amazing people that I encounter. I know we have had the odd troll but they don't last long. Overall, I feel closer to some of the people in DG (Parking Lot) than I do with my blood relatives. There is nothing cyber about the wonderful friends I have made here.

Dave and Admin - Keep on doing what you are doing. I just can't say enough about Dave's Garden and am honoured to be amongst such wonderful, knowledgeable and helpful people.

Happy Gardening

Hugs Elaine and Otis

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Like some others have said, the Plant Files first drew me to the site. But I had to vote for the forums as my favorite. I'm mostly in the Butterfly and Hummingbird forum, but I also check in on Bromeliads, Invasive Plants, and the Florida Gardening forum.

It's great to have a place where other people understand your insane devotion to a particular subject. Like when my family gets tired of me analyzing and discussing caterpillar poo, I know the folks in the forum will understand me. Of course, it's so much fun to learn and share experiences with the other members. Even better is when you get good enough to give advice to the newbies!

Melanie

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I live in the Texas forum, recipes forum and lurk in about 30 more. I learn so much and am able to help other people who haven't had the advantages I have had in cooking, etc. I lurk mostly and know lots of secrets.....

Ann

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

I chose Forums. My favorite is the Fl. forum since that is where I live. I also enjoy the Orchid forum. I have met so many wonderful people on Daves!!! Edited to say I like the Amarylla Forum also [one of my addictions]
Lorine

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 2:04 PM

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I chose forums. I check out many forums in the course of my "lurking", but my favorites are the Gessie group and the Mid-Atlantic group. But DG is such a great place for so many reasons! I've been here for a few years now and I love this place.

DG rocks!

:o)

South Hamilton, MA

Forums are my favorite--being in touch with other gardeners is very helpful. I am in the iris & northeast forums, but when I needed to find a source for a particular rose, I hopped over there & found help. Birdwatching & Equine are also fun.

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

African Violets and Gesneriad forum--hands down!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I voted forums, and I have more than one favorite.
African Violets/Gesneriads
Indoor Gardening & Houseplants (not much activity there lately, though!)
Hoyas
Plant Trading

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

African violets and Gesneriads is my favorite forum as this is my hobby--My next fav is in NE Gardening ,entitled-"Sophie's Choice--The Saga Continues"--if you are not familiar with this wonderful story that unfolded on Dave's Garden, go back to the very beginning and read!!(starts as "New Addition") It is uplifting and heart warming(soon to be in a theater near you--LOL!). I finally bought my first digital camera last month, so I lurk in the Photography/camera forum. I dabble in orchids--the Orchids forum is spectacular! Also visit many other forums...the list is too long. I've learned so much here...and made a few friends along the way. It has become my home away from home^_^

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 3:45 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

HI NAN!!!!!
Mid-Atlantic & fragrant forum...lets just say thanks to fellow DGer's my plants remain alive....LOL

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I love the forums! I have learned SOOOOOO much! (and the pics too)

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

The propagation and seed starting forums, definitely!

Milwaukee, WI

forums the favorite one is the one im reADING READ AND FOLLOW A NUMBER AND AM CONSTANTLY LEARNING MORE AND MORE

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

No surprise in the voting. The forums are favorite. My regional forum is my very favorite, but there are too many others I enjoy to pick a second favorite.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I love the forums - contribute to several, but lurk in many.

Parking Lot is my favorite because I meet regularly with a group of dear friends there. I wish they all lived in my neighborhood where we could visit face to face.

My main interests are within the Garden Pests & Diseases and Insects & Spiders forums. I love diagnosing plant problems - my niche in my 15 year "career" as a Master Gardener.

Texas Gardening and Florida Gardening (because the climate is so similar) would probably be next, but Recipes and Bird Watching score high too.

The people here are incredible!! Admin has done an amazing job of keeping this place friendly.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Here-hear!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I like the several forums - Parking lot, Hostas, Canadian Gardening. I would like to use my journal but have gotten absolutely nowhere trying to get it set up. Must admit I haven't tried for a couple of years. Sure would help if it were set back to zero.

Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.