Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: My favorite part of DG is...

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 114, Views: 1,220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

January 26, 2009
9:50 AM

Post #6052193

There are a total of 348 votes:

The forum discussions. (Which forum is your favorite and why?)
(277 votes, 79%)
Red dot

I enjoy reading the weekly newsletter!
(18 votes, 5%)
Red dot

My favorite activity here is adding images to the PlantFiles.
(12 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I love the plant and seed trading features!
(26 votes, 7%)
Red dot

I enjoy working on my very own Garden Journal or Diary.
(11 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I can't wait until the Chat Room opens each week
(4 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6052249

I chose Forum discussions. You will find me mostly on the Florida forum and a couple of others.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2009
11:28 AM

Post #6052257

Yep, I'm mostly on the Norwest and Northeast Forums. I learn quite a bit from everyone there.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

January 26, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #6052297

While I enjoy the forums, I'm trying to concentrate of building my journal. What the heck is the weekly newsletter? I've never seen that!

Okay. Forget it. I finally found out where the newsletter lives and have now signed up for it.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 7:13 AM
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

January 26, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6052344

Too many Forums to list - I contribute to several and browse many more.

Glad to have such a diverse selection -- and -- meeting so many members (both online and in person).

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

January 26, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6052348

I'm a regular in the CANADIAN GARDENING forum .. lots of info shared .. and support given

I also LOVE the Pet Forum .. the pics are awesome and I can usually count on a quick response were I to have a problem with either my pup or my kitty cat.

HOW do you chose LoL I think ALL the forums are amazing :-)

~M~

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 26, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6052370

I go wherever there's an interesting topic going on or something I can add my input to.
Many friends have been made through the forums.

Bernie
mattsmom
Tomah, WI

January 26, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6052392

I chose the forums. I have learned so much from the wonderful folks here at Daves. Lots of great info out there.
myresortonahill
PICKETT, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2009
1:21 PM

Post #6052417

I chose forums. I really appreciate hearing what other people have to say and learning about different ways to grow things.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6052435

Mostly Parking Lot: Coffee for...
Upper Midwest and like CountryGardens where ever there is an interesting topic going on.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6052516

This was a hard one!!! I enjoy all of them but my favorites or Mid-South Forum, Hoyas, Plumerias, Water Gardens, Prayer, Parking Lot, and Greenhouse.

WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6052545

What an oasis this site has become!

I chose plant and seed trading, though I would have liked to have added the forums.

In regards to both, it pays to sharpen your sense of foresight rather than slack with hindsight.

I use the Garden Watch Dog and the Member Page Feedback (which needs more attention and contribution) for finding who does the right things.

I guess the main thing to keep in mind is that this is a very large family full of individual personalities where it pays to not jump to conclusions. Terse posts leave a lot of room for "interpretation."

Always keep in mind that everyone needs a certain amount of respect latitudinally, as everyone has a bad day here or there, or a sticky personal situation occur once in a while.

If something strikes a weird tone to you, personally, let it pass! You probably misread it. Lead by example.

This is when we need to exercise those awesome personal values and ethics passed to us from our grand parents, great grandparents, on down the line.

It is refreshing to see everyone strive for a common goal here in The Garden. An oasis on the web.

Maybe the Eagles have it correct ... "You call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye."

What an oasis this site is!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6052558

What a dilemma! I like the forums and tour many of them. There I can get assistance with problems, learn about new methods of gardening, be tempted with new and different plants or just share my limited knowledge in an attempt to help others. I have found moral support or prayers when needed. And met lots of folks I care about and would love for neighbors.

OTOH, I have to say my journal. These days, it serves as my memory, my brain. I find it easy to store info and photos. When I can't remember something, I just have to do a search and it will pull up the very thing I have misplaced. I appreciate it and wish my brain could have the same storage capability AND search function. Although I spend more time in the forums, the DG Journal gets my vote.
bjf826
panhandle, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6052638

I chose forums, but I use the site as much for research as I do communication. Plant Files and now Bird Files are two that I use multiple times a day to find out what's what! It would most definitely be a loss for me to not have Dave's to go to. I participate in the Hoya and Hummer/Butterfly Gardening forums mainly, but have 11 or 12 others that I watch... and peruse others randomly if a particular discussion strikes my fancy.
Thank you Dave, Trish, Terry, Melody and all the others who work so hard for us. It is very much appreciated.

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6052767

I love the forums and I use quite a few of them. The Rocky Mountain forum is my favorite because our growing conditions are so different from everyone elses and also because the people are really fun. Many of us have met at the Denver Botanic Gardens for their sales and then afterward a someone's house. Great fun. Great people. So many plants and seeds it is a wonder my truck will make it home over all those mountains.
I also like Recipes and Cooking -- don't know why we need both -- but I read both. I like Vegetable Gardening and Fruits and Nuts and Plant Files Pictures and the identification forums and probably some I am forgetting right now. Oh yes, Healthy Living and Pets.
I am very fond of adding to Plant Files as well. At first I was frustrated because so few of the iris entries had photos. I have added some and so have lots of other people. I can see the improvement just in the two or three years I have been a member.
And I do love the journal now that I have figured out how to use it. It was a challenge at first, but now I rely on it. It is very helpful when I want to trade with people. I just tell them to check my journal for what I have.
I actually don't do a whole lot of trading, but when I do I get wonderful stuff.
Dave's Garden has become a web of friends and of information for me. I check it several times each day.
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6052841

sewing and quilting!
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6052886

The forums have done more to educate me than any other source of info in my gardening experience. But not just about gardening ... some of my favorite recipes have come from DG forums, my new interest in quilting was 'enabled' by DG friends, support when family pets were put to rest, having lots of fun when hosting RU's, a renewed interest in my mailbox due to the group swaps, and much more - all due to the forums here on DG. But the most important of all has been the friendships formed.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6052978

Actually, its the information in the PlantFiles which include the pictures. A most valuable resource without which this would be just another chat room that I wouldn't bother with. The PF is how I found DG.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6053001

I have to say the Strawbale Gardening Forum is my most visited since it's the reason I became a DG subscriber! However running a very close second is the Shady Gardens forum due to the fact that I have a LOT of shade and am a lover of ferns!

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LAKelley2
Titusville, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6053074

The FL forum is my most favorite because I live in FL and can get advice directly from people who live in my region.

My second favorite forum is the palms and cycads forum because... tada... I have palms :-) Plus, the people in that forum are smart, smart, smart and I'm hoping some of it rubs off!!! :-)

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6053093

I said Chat room...DUH!! I meant Forums.
I can only plead Monday Morning! lol

I love talking to people about the different topics that thrill me!
Recipes, Dats, "our lads" travelling all over Canada, Fall Gardens, etc!

-Susan-
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6053195

I check in with the Carolina Gardening forum on a regular basis, but also participate in the Hibiscus, Orchid, Palm, tropical and Mid-Atlantis forums.
This place has been an invaluable resource for me in my personal garden and when I worked in a garden center.
Barb
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

January 26, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6053233

The plant files are what I came here for in the first place. The pictures are so good! Then, I got in to the forums which are now my favorites. Rocky Mountain, Photos, Cameras, and more. But I also like Plant and Bug identification. And the Photo Contest! Not to mention the articles that members write. I don't journal or blog because I'd be here all the time! Love it.
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

January 26, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6053425

I chose discussion forums - my favourite being Parking Lot but wish I could have picked more than one. WSing discussion has been a life-line for me right now.

And of course there is the plant and seed trading and the weekly newsletter. It is a three-way tie for me. I haven't been in Chat very often. Only because of time restrictions.

I also enjoy some of the tutorials.

Just have to say to everyone - I don't know how DG does it but this site has the most fantastic people I have ever encountered. Just amazing! This is a cumulative group of caring, helpful and supportive people. I am always overwhelmed with the amazing people that I encounter. I know we have had the odd troll but they don't last long. Overall, I feel closer to some of the people in DG (Parking Lot) than I do with my blood relatives. There is nothing cyber about the wonderful friends I have made here.

Dave and Admin - Keep on doing what you are doing. I just can't say enough about Dave's Garden and am honoured to be amongst such wonderful, knowledgeable and helpful people.

Happy Gardening

Hugs Elaine and Otis

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2009
6:19 PM

Post #6053537

Like some others have said, the Plant Files first drew me to the site. But I had to vote for the forums as my favorite. I'm mostly in the Butterfly and Hummingbird forum, but I also check in on Bromeliads, Invasive Plants, and the Florida Gardening forum.

It's great to have a place where other people understand your insane devotion to a particular subject. Like when my family gets tired of me analyzing and discussing caterpillar poo, I know the folks in the forum will understand me. Of course, it's so much fun to learn and share experiences with the other members. Even better is when you get good enough to give advice to the newbies!

Melanie
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6053627

I live in the Texas forum, recipes forum and lurk in about 30 more. I learn so much and am able to help other people who haven't had the advantages I have had in cooking, etc. I lurk mostly and know lots of secrets...

Ann
Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 26, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6053697

I chose Forums. My favorite is the Fl. forum since that is where I live. I also enjoy the Orchid forum. I have met so many wonderful people on Daves!!! Edited to say I like the Amarylla Forum also [one of my addictions]
Lorine

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 2:04 PM
VA_Wild_Rose
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6053811

I chose forums. I check out many forums in the course of my "lurking", but my favorites are the Gessie group and the Mid-Atlantic group. But DG is such a great place for so many reasons! I've been here for a few years now and I love this place.

DG rocks!

:o)

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 26, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6053923

Forums are my favorite--being in touch with other gardeners is very helpful. I am in the iris & northeast forums, but when I needed to find a source for a particular rose, I hopped over there & found help. Birdwatching & Equine are also fun.
Hillbilly_Gran
Jasper, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6054018

African Violets and Gesneriad forum--hands down!
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 26, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6054058

I voted forums, and I have more than one favorite.
African Violets/Gesneriads
Indoor Gardening & Houseplants (not much activity there lately, though!)
Hoyas
Plant Trading
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #6054063

African violets and Gesneriads is my favorite forum as this is my hobby--My next fav is in NE Gardening ,entitled-"Sophie's Choice--The Saga Continues"--if you are not familiar with this wonderful story that unfolded on Dave's Garden, go back to the very beginning and read!!(starts as "New Addition") It is uplifting and heart warming(soon to be in a theater near you--LOL!). I finally bought my first digital camera last month, so I lurk in the Photography/camera forum. I dabble in orchids--the Orchids forum is spectacular! Also visit many other forums...the list is too long. I've learned so much here...and made a few friends along the way. It has become my home away from home:-)

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 3:45 PM

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6054087

HI NAN!!!!!
Mid-Atlantic & fragrant forum...lets just say thanks to fellow DGer's my plants remain alive...LOL
pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #6054100

I love the forums! I have learned SOOOOOO much! (and the pics too)
avianut
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6054265

The propagation and seed starting forums, definitely!
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

January 26, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6054280

forums the favorite one is the one im reADING READ AND FOLLOW A NUMBER AND AM CONSTANTLY LEARNING MORE AND MORE
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6054449

No surprise in the voting. The forums are favorite. My regional forum is my very favorite, but there are too many others I enjoy to pick a second favorite.
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6054869

I love the forums - contribute to several, but lurk in many.

Parking Lot is my favorite because I meet regularly with a group of dear friends there. I wish they all lived in my neighborhood where we could visit face to face.

My main interests are within the Garden Pests & Diseases and Insects & Spiders forums. I love diagnosing plant problems - my niche in my 15 year "career" as a Master Gardener.

Texas Gardening and Florida Gardening (because the climate is so similar) would probably be next, but Recipes and Bird Watching score high too.

The people here are incredible!! Admin has done an amazing job of keeping this place friendly.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #6054900

Here-hear!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6054945

I like the several forums - Parking lot, Hostas, Canadian Gardening. I would like to use my journal but have gotten absolutely nowhere trying to get it set up. Must admit I haven't tried for a couple of years. Sure would help if it were set back to zero.

Ann
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6055125

Easy: the forums. I'm usually in Soil & Composting or Organic Gardening.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6055655

Where was the option to choose all of the above? LOL For me it was between the forums, Plant Files, and the journals but since I use the forums more often than the others I picked that one. I hang out in a bunch of places, but the Plant ID forum is one of my favorites, it's always fun trying to ID the unknown plants. But I love them all!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

January 27, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6055800

Forums, absolutely, and within that - the most helpful immediately is Plant ID. If I am in some foreign part of my Universe, I know that taking a photo and posting it will immediately provide the name of the plant that captured my camera's eye.

I agree - wonderful folks here - though I really haven't done a lot of bonding. Change is always possible - yes? Especially now. I am thinking about attending a local gathering of DGers!

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6056019

I voted the forums too. My favorite was hard. Since coming here in August. I tend to go to Pets forum most. The love for animals is so prominant and we all cry together over our furbabies. Information is given lovingly.If you have a pet question don't hesitate to go and ask.
I also like the Weather forum. Some great people and nice to hear how the weather is over the country.

Come Spring,(Soon please Soon!!!) Am iced in at the moment. I'll be looking towards the Texas and Midwest forums.
I'm an odd duck and takes me awhile to make friends but i'm working on it. My thanks goes out to all the DG members as well as Dave and company. Glad i'm here.
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #6056157

The Northeast Forum. Still.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2009
5:19 AM

Post #6056423

I was torn between the forum discussions and plant and seed trading... went for the forums because that is where I have learned so much... I have gotten so many new plants through trading though.. I just LOVE DG! It has opened a whole new world for me.
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

January 27, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #6056466

sewing, computer, PNW, iris, maples, daylilies, crafts

Think those are the biggies but I will see something in the new ones and click and watch.

Discussion is for me...

Thank you one and all for making the discussion forums a great place to learn.

D

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 27, 2009
11:06 AM

Post #6056748

the north east forum is my favorite... lots of great info & photos... and nice people

2nd would be plantfiles
3rd - using my journal
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #6056784

I chose forums too, I like container gardening the most. The threads are so informative and the pics are beautiful. Tina
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
11:57 AM

Post #6056790

I, like many others, started at DG using PlantFiles. When I discovered all of the other services available I subscribed immediately and DG became my 'home-away-from-home' on the net. The NE forum is the first one I ventured onto and they were so warm, welcoming, and funny that it is still my favorite (although I regret that I don't spend quite as much time there as I used to). If I drop in there today I will probably learn something new, too. So many folks with so much helpful info to share.

Others I visit as regularly as I can manage are Roses, Winter Sowing, Cottage Gardening, Butterfly & Hummingbird Gardening

~ jan
ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6057254

I think the forums are great. In order of most visited for me, I like Hostas, Water Gardening, Trees - Shrubs - Conifers, and lots that I just read from time to time.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6057268

ViolaAnn, I can give you a 'do-over' on your journal if you wish. Just let me know.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6057313

Came to Daves for gardening but remain a subscriber for the other benefits now.

Forums. I'm not a regional forum watcher---mostly using a few forums that pertain to personal interests. Have not found as simple a forum set-up with ability to track your history on ANY other site. Thanks Dave!
laurief
Deer River, MN
(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6057320

The Pets and Iris forums are where I spend most of my DG time.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6057451

I chose forums too and especially visit Georgia and Winter sowing right now. But the Insect ID is phenomenal! And I am getting more into my journal and blog. Plus the Plant ID is super helpful as is the Garden Watchdog.
Amber_lee
Seminole, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6057966

I chose forums. I found this site by researching a plant I was unfamiliar with. When I looked around the site I instantly joined. I have learned so much. I can't pick a favorite forum because I look at so many and it seems there is a forum for all my hobbies and forums for things I need to be doing. LOL

I like the recent posts part too. I have ventured into forums because of a thread I have found on recent posts that I probably wouldn't have found because I don't live in that area.

Thanks Dave and admin.
Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Sterling, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6058082

The Hibiscus forum is my favorite, however, there are many others that are close seconds. Overall the forums are extremely helpful since most communicate without the "verbal engineering" that is so prevalent in today's media, etc. Communicating the truth has become an endangered species of sorts, and most of the participants in DG tell it like it is--the truth.

Snug

herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

January 27, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6058625

The Herbs forum!
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6059676

Plantfiles brought me to Dave's, but it's the discussion Forums that have kept me here!

Parking Lot is where I reside a good deal of time, but love the Recipes, Cooking and Canning Forums-also Plant ID's and the Beginner Series of Forums-where I can occassionally help out a newcomer.

There's lots of good info in the Computer and Photo Forums, and who could do without all the Forums geared to our particular favorite plants!? They are a must!! :-)

Then, there's the seed trading, seed germination, WSing-uh, those are must reads! LOL.

And don't even get me started on all the "Personalities" on here that bless us all with their wit and wisdom. We are so blessed to be surrounded by all this knowledge, experience, humor and just plain goodness.

Thanks Dave !! We owe it all to you and Trish.

Sasha
wthex
Ashland, MT
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6059918

My favorite subject is composting so I almost always check there first. I became a born again composter when it saved our garden soil. Otherwise I will hang out in the Vegetable, herb or Heirloom Vegetable forums. I also hope to see more posts on companion planting.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6060073

♪♪ Happy Anniversary to meeeeeee
Happy Anniversary to meeeee
Happy One Year Anniversary on DG for Dahliaaaaanuuuut... ♪♪

How timely! but I could not vote. I read every article, live in Plant Files and somehow manage to be a regular on 4 Regional Forums and too numerous to count specialized Forums. I can't say enough about what I've learned and the laughter that I've shared here on DG. Particularly important to me is the attention given to new gardeners and new members that I've seen this year. I just want to mention that the recent enhancements like Bird Files and the Garden History items just keeps making DG better and better. Thanks to Dave and Admin and all members for contributing and making DG the best. I'm so looking forward to another great year. O and if perchance you're interested in dahlias we have a very fabby Dahlia Forum (hint, hint).
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6060177

DG is the NASCAR of gardening. SW Gardening forum is where spend most of my time but I lurk at-will at at least a dozen forumsas the need arises. I hope that this vote doesn't cause anything to go away because even if they aren't visited often, all the other stuff is great. I don't utilize it all, only because I don't have enough time to sit in front of the computer...I'm busy learning and gardening! This is the best reference and social sight I've EVER subscribed to. Of course I'm biased...we've got such such a great group going at SW ...come and visit!
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 28, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6060203

No selection offered for "all of the above".
Forums - for networking & gaining a better understanding of the gardening conditions in a variety of regions.
PNW, NE, Soil & Composting, Veg, Dahlia, Lily & Tropical. I like to read!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6060242

ps What about the Photo Contest???? I just have to say that although I got my butt kicked wasn't that just TOTALLY FABBY. Note to Dave and Admin: we're rallying to ask for a 'Photosnarf' catagory which will not be calendar worthy but will make a great place for those of us with a HUGE amount of bad pics to compete for the crying towel. Really Bad Photographers unite! Just a thought for later :-)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6060256

I voted forums and I spend most of my time on the AV forum. I love hoya, orchid, tropical plants and many other forums, too.

My goal for the year is to try and make myself sit down long enough to contribute pictures to the plant files. Pictures on the forums are my favorite parts of the forums plus all that I learn from others.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6060361

The forums...northeast, midatlantic, recipes, pets...I can go on and on...
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6060373

Jen, You are a regional two-timer? Dahlianut is a regular regional floozie! ;^)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #6060378

oops, let the cat out of the bag!!!
astcgirl
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6060450

I think the Fragrant Forum is my most visited, then that Co-op one is so addicting, it's like refresh 100 times a day to see if there's any other co-ops going on that I don't want to miss out on...so bad.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #6060539

Yes Dave47 after discussing it with my DH and the crazy ole cat I believe I might be a Forum Floozie. Especially because I didn't mention the other regional forums that I just so happen to 'pop' into every once or so. I just seem to be inclined to participate when I might feel that I might be needed (like mittens in TX, ok that was very unusally snowful for them) Thankfully members are very tolerant of me 'poppin' in. Cool I'm a Floozie. I'm so all over it. I'm thinkin I need a new look.
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #6060653

I chose forums too. Canadian, Orchids, Morning Glories and Dahlias as my most faves. I am not a Forum Floozie like some people I know. ^^

hee hee

Joanne

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2009
7:49 AM

Post #6060893

Forums here, and I am thankful to Forum Floozies all, who have the gift of making mere words on a screen resonate with friendship and goodwill. And a very happy anniversary to Dahlianut! ;-)

I stumbled across DG a couple of years ago, while searching online for info about a plant, but did not join til last fall, when I moved to a new area and began sort of redefining myself as a gardener. I continue to be delighted with the richness of the resources available here. I find that for pretty much anything I am curious about or wanting to understand better, if it even remotely relates to gardening, I can find good information here. Often I don't even have to post or look far, the answers just seem to show up as I cruise around following my curiosity. I love the international nature of this group too!

Currently spending time in the Winter Sowing forum and more recently Rocky Mountain, who kindly invited us Intermountain Regional orphans in, LOL!

And I follow regularly a number of others, though I don't post all that much in most of them.

I like the articles also, and that I can really look up most anything I want to pursue...

DG is definitely well worth the price of admission!

Kyla
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #6061154

There is a support group for people who can't commit to one region. Admitting you have a problem is the first step. Recognizing you are powerless over geography is next.

Joanne, It is good to know that not everyone in Calgary is affected.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6061180

The forums weren't my initial draw to DG, but are my life sustaining food it seems. I have to get my fill each day!
The main ones I frequent are the Texas Gardening, Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bbb/all/ , and stopping in to wish other Happy Birthday! I do roam on others from time to time. Our PlantFiles, BugFiles, and the new BirdFiles are a super resource too.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6061192

Weather is my favorite, but I lurk in many other forums join in the conversations. I enjoy learning about many different subjects. I used to spend a lot of time in Pets, but not much anymore.
hyer1972
Weston, WV
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6061469

I as well chose forums ... the members here are all great and it is fun getting to know each one of them and hearing about their lives and lessons they can share. If it has to do with daylilies or Iris i am all over it lately!!
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

January 28, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6061943

The Hosta Forums and the Texas Gardening forums. I got people!
diamndsnjns
Crosby, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6062369

1st pick would have to be the Daylily forum

then I guess it's a tie between the iris and hibiscus forum - although I'm just a lurker in those
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6062378

Rotflol! Dave and d-nut! If I didn't set limits on myself, I could spend 24/7 in Dave's...I don't have a problem either! Heh-heh...
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6062421

I choose the forums. They have so much to offer in learning a lot of the gardening facts and how to do things different if something doesn't work for you the first time . I stick with the seed trading and propogation the most,but you could probably find me on just about all at some time or another.
tonyjr
Union City, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6062774

I like to read the questions / answer for info .

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

January 28, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6062804

Forums are so popular, I hope the boss doesn't think we neglect the other sites. Insect & plants often come up in conversation.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

January 28, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #6062971

Good point point irisMA. What would we do without PFs? :O :O
boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6063038

Forums-orchid, iris, photo, amaryllis, hoyas, glads, daylily, northeast, bird watching, co-ops, plant trading and I lurk in pets, ID, European gardening and weather, too. I check many several times a day and then when I'm bored I surf around to see whose birthday it is or what folks are thinking about and those great articles!! I spend a lot of time in Plantfiles and DG marketplace. I haven't spent enough time in Birdfiles but I will. So much of my interests are ruled by the season I'm in.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 28, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6063442

and I always check the Garden Watchdog when I get a new catalog.
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

January 28, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #6064127

I look through several forums, but spend most of my time in Hostas and the Upper Midwest Gardening.
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6064466

I'll second Jen. Garden Watchdog is a huge tool. Especially when I was newer.
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6067093

I voted for the forums. Love Poultry and Livestock :-), NorthEast, Vegetable Gardening, Seed Germination and I don't know what I did before I found Garden Watchdog and PlantFiles. There are great people on Dave's Garden.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2009 1:07 PM
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6067198

The forums got my vote, too--but I don't know how I could get along without the Plant Files, the Garden Watchdog, and Bird Files. When I moved to MA from CA, the friendly, welcoming, and helpful folks on the NorthEast Forum were my salvation. Still my fave forum. But man, have I had fun with Wintersowing, Self-Contained Box Gardens (despite the lengthy moniker), Soil and Composting, Garden Products, Tomatoes, and the various Beginning Gardeners Forums.
Oh, yes. My name is CapeCodGardener and I am a Group Trader. . .
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6067903

I voted forums. I hang out in the Daylily forum but wander into other areas when I feel the need to learn about something. All of them are wonderful!

MollyD
DitchLily206
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6068815

The forums. Daylilies of course, my ID says it all. I do lurk on one or two more, but rarely post anywhere except the daylily forum.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6069004

Forums
Tomatoes
Vegetables
Greenhouse
Container Gardening
I like chat rooms too------but------I like to chat when i find the time----instead of only one scheduled day out of the week.
gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6069225

Forums. Rooms and rooms full of plant lovers! All of whom are ready to talk whatever kind of plants you happen to be in the mood for! I love you all!
Martha
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #6069360

Fav Forum is
"Coffee ... and"
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #6069390

You don't wanta know...currently have some 23 forums on my watch list. Mostly Texas, Tropical Plants, Tropical Islands, retirees, pets, Florida, Southwest, recipes, Australia, awww just lurk everywhere. Have made friends literally all over the planet. Many have met in person and are now a part of my life..not just our cyberlife. One of the best things I have ever, ever discovered.

I AM AN ADDICT
I MUST CHECK DG MULTIPLE TIMES PER DAY
I HAVE NO DESIRE TO GIVE UP THIS ADDICTION
I PLAN TO KEEP THIS UP AS LONG AS I AM ABLE TO TYPE

LouC aka Christi aka Princess Kilikina

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6069400

Only 23?????
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6069405

Just checked and the counter at the top says 42. Go to others when I need something in particular. Of course the plant files, Garden Watchdog go without saying.

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6069439

I whittled my list down to 44 recently... ;-) but truly, it was Plantfiles that got me here in the first place, tremendous resource.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
9:57 AM

Post #6069804

I really wanted, all of the above...but that selection wasn't there!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6070360

Not only subscribing members can see the voting results here. So wake up non-subscribers and see what you are missing!!! The voting results tell the story, more enjoyment and knowledge and local interaction is at your fingertips on the forums.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #6070553

Pets - I love the pets forum.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

January 30, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6070727

Bird Watching Forum! All the members adore wild birds and their such a helpful, loving, crazy bunch of people. :-)
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6072349

Forums, Plantfiles, Journal/Diary, Trade Lists...who can choose just one favorite?? And where's the button to vote for the great FOLKS we meet??

WillowWasp

WillowWasp
Jones Creek, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6073372

I also checked forums; I don't have a favorite since it kinda depends on time of year and what I am growing at the time. I like so many of the forums and they all so helpful I just can't pick one or a few. I love every thing from Texas gardening to brugs, vines and climbers as well as Morning glories. Of course we can't forget crafts and concret and hypertufa or ponds and water gardens...so as you see it is quite varied. I feel I get my monies worth every year just in information I am able to gleen not to mention the friendships I have made over the years. Oh and all the trading I have done is priceless. So I guess that about sums it up..☺♥
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 31, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #6073918

Aussie, Bromeliad and cut flower forums. I also visit garden art, trash to treasure, and always check the birthdays, and vote in the photo contest.
Plantfiles got me here.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6074638

I will have a great garden this year thanks to the seed trading forum and I learn lots from lots of the forums. Meet great folks too. I have lots of animals so I'm on most of the animal forums but spend more time on the Equine forum. I have a veritable herd of horses so I'm always looking for good info and good talk with folks who have similar interest and day to day experiences like me. They are also a bunch of nuts so I fit right in. LOL
Jianhua
Shangshui, Henan
China
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6077873

I vote Diary. Since 2005 I've put in over 1500 short articles with pictures to record down my gardening.
Also, I love Photo Forum and Plantfile, where I learn plenty of plant names with the plant pictures.
Recently, I found DG Articles is another highlight.
All in all, DG is a big melting pot for gardeners, where beginners or professionals, can find a seat for him/her.
I have been in DG for almost 8 years, and, I say, my gardening grows right along with DG does.
Jianhua
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 1, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #6077889

I used to use the Diary but as I am on 'possum bell' dialup here, I find it loads way too slowly when it becomes full and have lost interest. I do basically the same thing using the Journal without the delay in searching for a specific post to add photos or entries. I do enjoy reading others diaries tho... pod
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6078186

I hang out in daylilies, mostly. I like the veggie and tomato ( like getting your masters degree) . I think I watch about 20.
I also get a kick out of scrolling down and seeing what the chat is that is most recent. Lots of times something catches my eye that I would have never known about, and I learn a great new thing.
rutholive
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6078259

Forums, so many interesting things. I have been a member since 2002, and the ID, birds, Photos, Organic, and associated subjects are pretty much my favorites but I watch lots of others also.

Thanks Dave and admin for all that you do.

Donna
IrisUniverse
Twinsburg, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
3:24 PM

Post #6078340

Being relatively new I focus on the Iris forum; unbelievably diverse Iris photos are posted which capture my imagination. It is enriching to connect with other garden lovers. So many insights, ideas, knowledge. It's priceless.

I also have found a few people to trade with. Can't wait for spring so I can photograph my new Iris and share them on the site.

Great work; Dave and crew. Thank you for your dedication to helping us all grow.
makj
Santa Ynez, CA

February 1, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #6078773

really a great bunch of people to chat with and share ideas, and the trading is great too, overall a great place to hand out.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2009
7:45 PM

Post #6079413

Love the forums and all the rest of DG places. Just wish I had more time to spend here. There is so much to it.
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6081412

I voted forums because I was not given an all of the above box. I need all of the DG features! You can't make me choose a favorite forum. My favorite is which ever one I am in at the moment. I gues that means my favorite forum right now is the voting booth.
Froggy3125
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 2, 2009
5:54 AM

Post #6081645

I voted for forums but all of DG is really great. Fav forum is MidAtl, second fav is WSing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America