-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
11:02 AM

Post #6052234

Took a hit during our 3 day deep freeze last week. Any ideas on how to get her back on track?

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6055530

Aw, poor girl, but look at the vines! Nice display... Might have to be patient, is all.. The plant is established, yes? How deep was the freeze? If temps don't fall too far below 32, a sheet thrown over the arbor may have saved the leaves.. they look a little limp, not slimy or mushy or black. She may lose a lot of leaves, but the stems and roots are probably okay. I think it will regrow leaves, if the stems were not frozen and it will regrow from the roots if the stems were frozen. I'm not an expert.. but I've grown passies for almost 10 years and LM's for 4 or 5. Paul? Anyone else down there have passies that got bit? MySharona, hope you've got warmer weather and your plant rebounds quickly, she's one of my fav passies.
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

January 27, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #6056261

Dont worry MySharona--that is a well established plant, and they are pretty hard to kill. I have one in the ground that looks the same way. They will drop a lot of leaves, but will come back once the weather warms up.

Mark
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #6058049

The plant is established. We had 3 8-12 hour freezes last week in the low 20's. I couldn't keep it covered with the strong winds. I'm going to trim it back to get some fullness back in it.

This is what it looked liked before the freezes.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ladybarber101
Lancaster, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6059427

Wow what a beautiful Lady Margret! Please tell me is that one plant or several? I started witha 3 gallon this spring and it was ate alive by gulf frit babies and never came back.. Since we are in the same general area maybe you can help me with what I need to do..

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6059475

LOL! Thanks! It's one plant. I got it at Lowes or Home Depot about 4 years ago and I planted it in the ground. I never had a problem with cats eating the whole plant. Although I got concerned about it 2 years ago.

Dmail me with any questions. I fertilize with Dynamite. Other than that I try to keep the dead vines groomed back - not always an easy task! She has a major trimming coming up this weekend LOL! The leaves are dropping like crazy now.
ladybarber101
Lancaster, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6059562

Hmmm okay well it truly is beautiful... My beilotti was pretty until the feeze and with another one comming later this eek Im not trimming yet.. Are you all not in for the 28 degree night? I think thats friday or saturday?

Will dmail you sometime soon...
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6059717

We have 2 nights of freezes coming up Fri & Sat (maybe more I can't tell at this point). I was looking at it this morning and there are a bunch of dead vines underneath the top layer. I get a bunch of butterflies, gulf frits, zebra longwings, monarchs, yellow sulphurs, etc. But it seems the only cat that chews on it is the GF.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6059968

MySharona,
I wouldn't prune it yet. Not unless you can cover it. Wait until we are closer to the last frost..that way you won't risk losing new growth if we get a hard freeze/frost again. which we most likely will. (especially with what is forecasted for the weekend).
jmho
mj
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
10:46 AM

Post #6061001

Okay I'll hold off :) My fingers are itching LOL!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2009
10:56 AM

Post #6061006

I know, mine are too...you just want to get that ugly burned stuff OFF your plants. Put Duck Tape around your clippers girl !!!!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2009
10:58 AM

Post #6061008

LOL! Okay I'm cracking up!
ladybarber101
Lancaster, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #6061248

lol you are too funny.. Duct tape over the clippers,, I dont know if that would stop me.. I have clippers hidden around here all ovr the place.. Never can find them when I want them but Im sure I would if I wasnt trying..

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2009
2:48 PM

Post #6061603

ladybarber...ya...I'm still hunting for two of my "diggers"...D's SO says he's going to attach that florescent surveyor's tape to my stuff so I can find them. I think we need little 'garden tool homing devices"...
ladybarber101
Lancaster, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6061700

Great Idea but I would probably lose that too..lol

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 29, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6068270

MySharona,
You keepin those clippers under control!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;-)
mj
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6068305

Yep! It's rainy and cold outside! I'm not going out there LOL!
SusanLouise
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2009
7:40 AM

Post #6081764

My Sharona,

Wow! Your plant is lovely! So sorry it got hurt by the frost...
BTW, you don't need to post your pic on my new thread (you'll know what I mean when you read it)... :)

Hmmmmmm, after reading Lady Barber101's post about baby frit cats eating her PF vine down to the ground...YIKES!
That is 1/2 of the reason why I got a PF vine! But, I want it to grow big enough 1st so I can enjoy the other 1/2 of why I got it...so I can see the beautiful blooms...

Am I going to have to grow the plant indoors? LOL
Need suggestions please!!!!! :)

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6081963

Susan,
I no more than plunked the pot down by my potting bench late last fall when a Zebra Longwing laid eggs on it. I found a friend who had some large noid passionvine and transferred the eggs. And mine LM went on the screened porch till it gets bigger and I get some more passionvines going (got several types of seeds started). Actually the LM isn't supposed to be one the Zebra's will use, but I guess this one didn't read the book.
Might want to get some maypop seeds or some other passionflower to support the BF's, one plant probably won't be enough.
ladybarber101
Lancaster, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
12:23 PM

Post #6082033

Susan it really depends on what secies ou put in the ground.. My LM was ate by the gulf frits but they dont bother my vitafola or beilotti (SP?) but the maypop and the other were massacred.. The butterflies around here dont go by the books either..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America