Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Seedless, Burpless, Tearless - What Will They Think of Next?: very interesting

Communities > Forums > Article: Seedless, Burpless, Tearless - What Will They Think of Next?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seedless, Burpless, Tearless - What Will They Think of Next?Replies: 8, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2009
11:17 AM

Post #6052247

I enjoyed this article.
LLMac
Mountain Grove, MO

January 26, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6052350

Very interesting! I'd been wondering how they do this. From time to time I've bought 'seedless' (OK, almost seedless) watermelons and saved the few small but mature-looking seeds I could find, but could never get one to sprout. The local heirloom seed place is always harping on genetically engineered "franken foods" and even I was starting to believe some of it and wonder, "What is this stuff doing to us?" It's comforting to know the facts.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6052603

I too have been torn between amazement at new varieties being developed and worry about losing biodiversity. Your article makes it clearer. Thank you, Toni.

P.S. I hope you didn't put the onion and cucumber in the fruit salad!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6052802

I thought about burpless gas for cattle was a great idea and for commercial growers, I am sure seedless tomatoes are great, but for home growth, I will probably stick to seeded traditional varieties. But I don't mind trying the seedless ones. Maybe they will be fantastic. I really love seedless oranges and tangerines and grapes.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6052803

Interesting, informative, and I like the ending! cute!
mazsola
Amsterdam
Netherlands

January 26, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6053561

Cold onions! Now I understand, why I never really had any trouble cutting them. I keep them, namely, always in the refrigerator, since I don't use them very often.
And seedless tomatoes are important news for people with bowel problems, who are not allowed toe eat small seeds.
Thank you.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #6054012

Great job on this Toni - very interesting! The seedless Burpee tomato is definitely THE big news in veggie gardening this season.

Your article also reminded me of a chuckle I had recently when I came across "Onion Goggles" on Amazon...! (They even come in assorted colors, lol!)

CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6054827

Great article, Toni--I'm interested in those maters!
BTW, TexasTam , like you, I laughed when I saw the "onion goggles" but I bought some as a joke for my sister, and then tried them at her house. They work, and I bought some for myself ! I agree that they sound really silly, but if you chop more than one onion--or shallots--or scallions--or even a lot of garlic cloves--the goggles protect your eyes from the fumes. I agree that chilling onions is another way to accomplish this.

jmc1987

jmc1987
Cascade, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2013
11:12 AM

Post #9474756

a really nice idea for those tomatoes, as i know of a friend who cant handle the seeded varieties either, as for me though personally, i will stick to my seed bearing types, as i dont want to spend the $ year after year to get a new plant :) (and i like that idea for the onion also, all i have to do is walk by one being chopped and just the odor alone is enough to trigger my gag reflex, lol!)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seedless, Burpless, Tearless - What Will They Think of Next? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
link to fraudulent company in article Angelady7 3 Feb 9, 2009 11:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America