Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
edrcook1
Corning, CA

January 26, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6052940

I have a young lady at work who is teaching me Thai cooking and as a thank you, I would love to give her a kaffir lime tree. From what I understand they are hard to come by, because they cannot be brought into California. I know that they grow here and have to have come from somewhere! Can anyone help me?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6054079

You can't bring them into California, but there are citrus growers here so you should be able to get one from a local nursery. Even Home Depot and places like that carry citrus trees, although I'm not sure if they'd be likely to have Kaffir lime or not. Here's one of the CA growers--their plants are often carried at local nurseries but there's a link to buy online too http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/
shushinggrasses
Thousand Oaks, CA

January 26, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6054213

Orchard Supply Hardware buys from Four Winds Growers, I think you have a few OSHs near you in Fresno? Maybe they'd order in for you if they don't have it in stock at present. And do you possibly have enough Thai or Vietnamese or Cambodian communities around that there might also be the occasional specialty nursery that would be providing plants from those folks' homelands?

I'd recommend getting two trees, one to give away, one to keep for yourself. Once I started cooking with these leaves, it's just not okay to have to stop because there are no fresh leaves on hand. So very incredibly tasty. (Grow some lemon grass too...)
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6054714

Here they are> http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/lore/kaffir_lime.html
edrcook1
Corning, CA

January 27, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6055793

Thank you all, for your information. I am going to try OSH first and then four winds. I am going to get two trees!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6057624

I got one a few years ago from Capital Nursery in Sacramento. She's a little more cold-sensitive than some, but she's done well in a big pot.
You might also try Riverside Nursery in Fresno if you're near there---they're one of my favorite nurseries to go when I'm over there.
I just ordered 4 citrus from FourWinds, and they arrived in good shape and nicely packed.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #6079111

Also if you are in Oakland, Longs get a huge variety of citrus too. I bet they get kaffir. Last year I bought a Yuzu for my favorite sushi chef. I am not sure when they get first get them in every year but they get lots of varieties.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6079376

I think they get theirs from Four Winds too, that's where most places get them I think. But I bet Long's has them cheaper than most anywhere else (although OSH has good prices too, not sure if Long's would beat them or not, but Long's would most likely have a better selection)
kanita
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6097012

I purchased my Kaffir Lime tree from Lowes.
edrcook1
Corning, CA

March 14, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6265260

Thank you for all of you're good advise, I ordered my trees from OSH , they came from 4-winds. I gave one to my friend and have one in a big pot on my patio.
RuTemple
San Jose, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #6343353

We have two dwarf Meyer Lemons, a Citron, and a Moro Blood Orange, all from Four Winds Growers (via OSH, Wegman's, and friends) and love what that company is doing. I think it was one of their people who "discovered" that he had found the Improved Meyer Lemon back in the late 80s, wasn't it?

Now you're all making me want a Kaffir Lime. Hmm. We have room...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other California Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hello fellow Californians....let's introduce ourselves! Kachinagirl 398 Mar 12, 2011 9:02 PM
Your area's best nurseries srkrause 98 Aug 9, 2007 10:51 PM
Any gopher solutions? Zuzu 410 Nov 19, 2011 8:08 PM
Procrastinating and Pots Happenstance 114 May 8, 2007 11:53 AM
Anyone else have squirrel problems? lilystorm 23 Aug 2, 2008 6:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America